Hatred of Glenn Beck: It’s come to this

posted at 7:38 pm on November 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

I don’t know why they even bothered dressing this up as comedy. If you’re going to wish death on someone, own it. It’s like hitting a guy with a crowbar but wearing a funny hat while doing it to “lighten the mood” or whatever.

Did you read the Jesse Walker piece like I asked? It applies here too, you know. Content warning.

Victim In Fatal Car Accident Tragically Not Glenn Beck

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Lol. You guys were clamoring over Onion articles/videos before but when they attacked one of your guys you guys are insulted.

Also yes The Onion originated out of Madison, WI where I used to live which is actually thought to be the most Liberal place in the united states. Great City. Constantly listed as one of the best places to live in the country.

Norvell on November 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Man are you glib. It’s not funny because of the subject matter, not because of who they attack. I laugh at plenty of Glenn Beck jokes and so does Beck himself but this was just creepy.

Look at it this way, it may be comedy but I don’t think it’s funny and you do. A difference of opinion. If you want to be a simpleton and claim the reason I did not laugh is solely because he is “one of my own” then I could easily reverse it on you and claim the only reason you find it funny is because he is “not one of your own”. see how weak your thinking is?

Had this been Obama we’d hear cries of … RACISM!

Daemonocracy on November 3, 2009 at 11:06 AM

That was horrible. That was hate, not comedy.

rollthedice on November 3, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Norvell on November 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM

When has this site ever been OK with “comedy” that wishes death on someone, no matter political persuasion?

That said, the Onion is generally hilarious. They’re obviously Left Wing, but we watch it anyway. We can take a joke about ourselves. If we couldn’t, we’d have nothing to watch. It’s liberals who are coddled.

Esthier on November 3, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Last fall, The Onion had Bush injure himself or fall sick every week. Then in January, he died peacefully.

YYZ on November 2, 2009 at 7:52 PM

WTF

They hit both sides, and are fairly apolitical. They do satire, period.

crr6 on November 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM

That’s cute.

Fatal car wrecks make it open season? Is Laura Bush is fair game?

jonknee on November 2, 2009 at 8:33 PM

You really can’t tell the difference between a grown man who got drunk, drove off a bridge and sought an alibi while the girl inside suffocated to death, later collecting jokes about the woman’s death, and a teenager who got into an accident while sober, tried to help and complied completely with the police instead of using her family name to get her out of the mess, becoming so remorseful that she still can’t talk about the event today?

Really? They’re both exactly the same to you?

Haha, and yet it’s always you guys comparing Democrats to Nazis.

Were you asleep this summer? Did you miss elected Democrats go Godwin on the country?

“Physically assaulting political opponents instead of engaging them in debate” was a thing the Nazis did pretty often.

Proud Rino on November 3, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Good point. Who started the fighting at town halls again?

Esthier on November 3, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Uh, am I the only one that took that as a full-on single finger salute to lefties and their obsession (hatred) for Beck? Maybe I’m being too charitable.

spmat on November 3, 2009 at 12:28 PM

I hate the Onion, anyway, and always refuse to watch the clips, once I know it’s from that company. The only reason I watched a few seconds of this one was because I didn’t know. I’d had enough of these bastards after a clip that made light of injured Soldiers. People that think this crap is funny suck just as bad as ONN.

Virus-X on November 3, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Some very intelligent people here, including AP, excuse me for saying so, are very much off the mark. Guess that means The Onion didn’t do it well. This is a parody of libs obsessing over political targets – media and non media types – or not – and I’ll betcha Glenn Beck roars with laughter over it.

inviolet on November 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM

If that girl was a member of my family these dirtbags would be hearing from my lawyer very soon.

TrickyDick on November 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Nope. That’s how I took it, too.

pussum207 on November 3, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Nope. Sorry. I watched it again. It’s not funny. I’m a guy that will most times disagree with Conservative reactions to comedy.

If the target was the media, it would have been funnier if the media would have asked common ordinary people “Are you sad it’s not Glenn Beck?” and the people would have asked “Are you out of your mind?” which the reporters took as an affirmation that they wanted Beck dead.

It’s not funny, it’s represented as everybody wanting Beck dead. It doesn’t present any politics for the grieving family, by which you’d judge that they are “left” that is supposedly the butt of the joke.

Somebody suggested the Hillary piece as balance, but they make it pretty obvious by the end that people aren’t dying, they are just listening to forced laughter and weak and phony attempts at relating. It’s mean, but it’s not repeating gruesome details of tragic accidents and repeatedly making the point that it was not Glenn Beck’s legs pinned to the retaining wall.

Axeman on November 3, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Look at the text leader on the Onion home page. (my emphasis)

An honors student died in the crash today, leaving the nation to wonder why the grisly experience of burning alive was not reserved for Glenn Beck

If this is targetted at “the left”, they missed by a long shot with “the nation”.

Axeman on November 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

JESUS DIED FOR YOUR SINS; GLENN BECK DIDN’T!

Cybergeezer on November 3, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Axeman on November 3, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Good point. I don’t even want to watch the video, but if they were spoofing the Left, it doesn’t seem obvious to most.

From all accounts, it appears they have everyone in the country upset Beck’s still alive, which hardly seems to strike against liberals even half as much as it strikes against Beck.

To make it about liberals, you’d have to actually have them stand out from the crowd of those who wish him dead.

Esthier on November 3, 2009 at 3:56 PM

That was just sick…making light of a tragic death like that.

Wasn’t very good anyway, even if the young lady’s death had been fictitious (which would have at least been acceptable).

Dr. ZhivBlago on November 3, 2009 at 4:25 PM