Dirty trick: Dems paying for third-party robocalls in New Jersey

posted at 8:11 pm on November 2, 2009 by Allahpundit

I guess we finally have a solid answer to the question of whether Daggett’s hurting Christie or Corzine more by staying in the race.

The Democratic State Committee now admits paying for a robocall to Somerset County voters that slams Republican Chris Christie and promotes independent gubernatorial candidate Christopher Daggett.

A Democratic spokeswoman says the party’s chairman, Joe Cryan, was not aware of the robocalls when he denied that the state committee had anything to do with them yesterday afternoon.

Cryan, who told PolitickerNJ.com yesterday afternoon that the Democratic State Committee had “absolutely” nothing to do with the call, could not immediately be reached for comment…

Before the Democrats owned up to it, Daggett media advisor Bill Hillsman said the call might be a Republican trick to generate a sympathetic newspaper story.

Since Ed’s post this morning, three new polls have hit the wires: Democracy Corps has Corzine by five, Survey USA has Christie by three, and Monmouth has Corzine by two, with their polling director calling the race one of the most volatile he’s ever seen. All I can say is that I agree wholeheartedly with Capitol Confidential: “It speaks volumes that the Democratic party in New Jersey feels the best use of their resources is to promote a third-party’s candidate instead of their own.” Politically speaking, a Christie win tomorrow would be pure gravy to McDonnell’s walkover in Virginia and a Hoffman upset in NY-23, but on a gut level, it would be deeply depressing to think that a Republican can’t win in a blue state even in a political climate like this with an incumbent as feeble as Corzine. You might as well just cancel the general election going forward and let the Democratic primary decide who the governor is. For god’s sake, Jerseyans, Corzine? Really?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Are you from Joisey? I’m from Joisey!

misterpeasea on November 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM

What exit?

faol on November 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM

117.

Shenanigans abound today folks!

Seton Hall Law representing.

Bring it home Chris.

Russ

russcote on November 3, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Must suck to be such a coward that you wet your panties at the thought of expressing your own ideas.

MNHawk on November 3, 2009 at 8:02 AM

For god’s sake, Jerseyans, Corzine? Really?

New Jersey is a corrupt, Democrat machine run state. By hook or by Corzine, err, crook, the Dems will find a way to win. I’d feel sorry for the citizens, but frankly they brought this onto themselves. They can spin for all I care.

Physics Geek on November 3, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Physics Geek on November 3, 2009 at 8:08 AM

Hey PG, I was listening and agreeing until you said I could spin.

You got something to say tough guy? Bring it.

Otherwise shut your goddamn mouth.

Russ

russcote on November 3, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Physics Geek on November 3, 2009 at 8:08 AM

That’s what I thought.

Russ

russcote on November 3, 2009 at 8:25 AM

/tard mode on

It must be Texas voters, responsible for top to bottom retardation in New Jersey government…

It must be Texas voters, responsible for top to bottom corruption in New Jersey government, year after year, decade after decade…

Especially Texas voters named “Bush.”

/tard mode off

MNHawk on November 3, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Are you from Joisey? I’m from Joisey!

misterpeasea on November 2, 2009 at 8:14 PM

What exit?

faol on November 2, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Exit 148 here :)

Libertarian Joseph on November 3, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I live in Bloomfield (north jersey) am I the only pro-free market person out here? Seems like everyone I run into is a dumb obamabot. Really, it amazes me how many smart people are completely ignorant when it comes to political issues. WOW

Libertarian Joseph on November 3, 2009 at 9:02 AM

A co-worker asked me yesterday, “if christie wins, will it affect the unions?” my reply: “no”

he got worried that he would take his union protection away or whatever. our union is SEIU and they make it hard to fire us. they had everyone call their congressman and read off a script that they hasd no healthcare, even co-workers WITH healthcare… everyone read from a script and I felt pressured to…but I didn’t

Libertarian Joseph on November 3, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Easy there, race fan. Your country needs you.

simple 343 on November 2, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Says the getalife who still won’t admit that far Left loon Paul Newman was one of the leading team owners on the “race fan” circuit.

Del Dolemonte on November 3, 2009 at 9:22 AM

If you took away voter fraud, ACORN, absentee ballots, wealth envy and selling votes, the Democrats would actually never win another election. It’s a bankrupt ideology that can only thrive through deceit……..

adamsmith on November 3, 2009 at 10:04 AM

It’s been reported that the nasal spray Zicam can reduce your sense of smell. … since the announcement, it’s been flying off the shelves in New Jersey.-

diogenes on November 3, 2009 at 6:12 PM