Video: Noted news “organization” blasts White House stimulus numbers

posted at 10:55 am on October 30, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Darn that Fox News! How dare they call the White House’s stimulus numbers “hard to believe”! Their biased reporting in this clip snidely says that their new report on “saved or created” jobs coming out today “won’t be worth the paper it’s printed on,” and they get some expert no one’s ever heard of to call it “useless” on their biased prime-time programming. Why, it’s a violation of the truce declared by Fox, and a …

Huh? What was that? Was that … Katie Couric? When did Katie go to Fox News?

Chip Reid’s final factoid sounds like a satire of government spending, the kind of goofy idea one would make up while shooting the bull with your college-sophomore friends.  Man, if the federal government spent $219,000 to study the sex lives of first-year female college students, you’d say, I’d apply for a job as a researcher! Seriously, who came up with this pork item anyway, Hugh Hefner?

The tone of this report on CBS, of all places, indicates that the credibility of this administration has finally begun to collapse.  When the Tiffany Network goes on the air to say that a report from Barack Obama’s White House isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on and that the previous incompetence calls into question any numbers announced today, I’d say that the honeymoon may finally be over.

So when does CBS start getting the Fox treatment by Robert Gibbs and Valerie Jarrett? (via Instapundit)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Chip Reid’s final factoidfact sounds like a satire of government spending, the kind of goofy idea one would make up while shooting the bull with your college-sophomore friends. Man, if the federal government spent $219,000 to study the sex lives of first-year female college students, you’d say, I’d apply for a job as a researcher! Seriously, who came up with this pork item anyway, Hugh Hefner?

Definitely not a factoid — it’s a fact!

unclesmrgol on October 30, 2009 at 12:01 PM

‘these numbers are next to useless’

tee hee….

cmsinaz on October 30, 2009 at 12:04 PM

let’s just say, Chip won’t be called upon at the next presser…

cmsinaz on October 30, 2009 at 12:05 PM

This is just extraordinary and unbelievable.

rjoco1 on October 30, 2009 at 12:13 PM

Whats that thing about a blind squirrel and finally getting a nut…or something like that.

O/T- Is anyone else STILL getting jerked around when they try to log in? Sometimes it works, sometimes it tells me wrong password.

anniekc on October 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Hundreds of errors=lies, lots of lies.

Speakup on October 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Obama Rama Ding Dong better get out his polishing cloth and compound.

hamradio on October 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Obama Rama Ding Dong better get out his polishing cloth and compound.

hamradio on October 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

God Bless Fox News…forcing others to finally begin reporting…a long way to go, but a start.

right2bright on October 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

This is just the extraordinary and unbelievable outcome of the legislation.

rjoco1 on October 30, 2009 at 12:13 PM

FIFY. Everybody paying any attention knew from the beginning that it was all about pork and payback.

j_galt on October 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Next thing the WH will come up with is that anyone that still has a job is a job saved by the administration.

JetBlast on October 30, 2009 at 12:28 PM

The “stimulus” funding is short term and the government does not create jobs, it takes money out of the economy.

karenhasfreedom on October 30, 2009 at 11:48 AM

None of these clowns in the White House or Congressional leadership have a clue how real jobs are actually created in this country, or what the workforce actually looks like for that matter.

I just got a job after being unemployed for over a year. I’m in the financial services industry in a support-type position, not one that actually creates revenues or sales. So even companies that are profitable are reluctant to hire someone like me. I am very, very lucky to have met up with the only company in this industry that is healthy and growing, and didn’t take any TARP funds. But there are no others like it at this time, and almost 400,000 unemployed workers in this industry who will not be helped by $300 a week in unemployment compensation or be able to build roads or fix bridges.

Most of the unemployed in this recession are low-paid retail and service workers, and high-paid managers and professionals. Jobs for these workers cannot — CANNOT — be created by any government program. They are created only when capital flows freely and profitably, businesses are confident and profitable enough to expand and hire, and consumers are confident enough and flush enough to spend money.

rockmom on October 30, 2009 at 12:31 PM

This factoid from over at Ace’s makes the “jobs saved or created” line by the White House look even more ridiculous:

(via Ace of Spades)

Two big points I want to make:

First of all, that Florida day care center that claimed Spendulus money “saved or created” 129 jobs when in fact the money they got was simply used to give all existing employees raises?

That’s not a “mistake.”

When the WH demanded that those who received Spendulus money “report” back on how many jobs were “saved or created,” they insisted upon a nonsensical rule: If a single dollar of Spendulus was spent on an employee’s salary, whether that employee was a new employee or an old one, that gets counted as a job “saved or created.” If he’s a new employee, that job was created. If he’s an existing employee, that job was saved.

For $1.

Yes, $1. Because the nonsensical rules the White House told these people to count “saved or created” jobs by simply stated: If any employee’s salary is paid, in whole or in part (any part!), count that as a job “saved or created” by the spending.

And then report that number back to us.

Note that the White House’s rules do not seek to discover which jobs really were “saved or created.” To come to that conclusion, one would need a set of more rigorous rules — which excluded some jobs from the “saved or created” category, rather than attempting to include them all under that rubric.

Unbelievable!!!

How can anyone in the MSM keep a straight face while they carry the water for these lying,corrupt officials that make up the Obama administration.

Once again proving that when liberals brag about how smart they are,it’s not based on great ideas and solutions,it’s based on how many lies and amount of corruption they can get away with in furthering their failed ideology and agenda.

Baxter Greene on October 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Did you catch the little snippet on Lou Dobbs’ show last night with Campbell Brown playing the role of a real journalist when interviewing Valerie Jarret?

techno_barbarian on October 30, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I did see it, but not on CNN. Fox played the clip, either on O’Reilly or this morning on Fox & Friends.

Can’t remember which show it was on. I was half asleep during both (just before going to bed last night, and just waking up this AM).

UltimateBob on October 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

If you believe the new numbers from the White House that 650,000 jobs were “saved or created”, it comes out to about $1.2 million per job..

AcidReflux on October 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

“You lie!”

NTWR on October 30, 2009 at 1:00 PM

I’d say that the honeymoon may finally be over.

I want a divorce before Obama gets everything

NoFanofLibs on October 30, 2009 at 1:03 PM

This just in:

Hell beginning to drop below 32 degrees

RedbonePro on October 30, 2009 at 1:16 PM

is it me or is Gibbsy getting his goose cooked at this presser?

cmsinaz on October 30, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I wonder if Katie got an instant email from O for that story.

Jim R. on October 30, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Wow. Who knew Katie Couric was a raaaaaacist?

Kevin71 on October 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

It is a business decision. The executives at CBS saw Fox have a ratings orgy with ACORN. That is all this is. CBS is going to push this to get ratings. We all knew it was coming. They have to turn on the one to stay relevant. Once the MSM gets a certain narrative going they are going to ease up off of him and let his administration make the next move.

Theworldisnotenough on October 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Chip’s gone off the farm spectacularly before this. He’s number two of my top three reporters with steel balls.

Jake Tapper
Chip Reid
Major Garret

Michelle Malkin is in a class all her own.

BrideOfRove on October 30, 2009 at 2:01 PM

That the ridiculous “saved or created” meme the news media lost all credibility.

I would remind all that according to the adults in the Obama administration we are now MINUS 6,500,000 jobs. Those are the numbers that smartest president and administration brought forth to get the porkulus passed without reading.

jukin on October 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Gee, I wonder if the Obama White House singling out one news outlet for attack means the other news outlets don’t want to be seen as official government agencies, marching in lockstep with the administration?

Jim Treacher on October 30, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Michelle Malkin is in a class all her own.

She sort of reminds me more of Ann Coulter, without the brains.

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

How does one determine “jobs saved”? That’s like my saying I did not stuup the neo-hippie next door, therefore she didn’t get pregnant, thus didn’t have that abortion. I just “saved a life” ! I deserve a Peace Prize!

Zorg on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Another big Rush-Limbaugh-like “I told you so”

I told you the MSM was going to turn on this President; it was inevitable to save their own credibility when the epiphany hit them that the public were disenchanted.

INTERESTING about the timing though. CBS is doing this PURELY BY THE POLL NUMBERS. I suppose that was because they couldn’t rely on their own common sense — they haven’t any.

When it comes to accepting the truth, the MSM is the lagging indicator. The public they tried to dupe “got it” before they did.

Danzo on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

So true:

‘Jobs Created or Saved’ Is White House Fantasy: Caroline Baum

But the government has no money of its own to spend; only what it borrows or confiscates from us via taxation. Oops.

“Government job creation is an oxymoron,” said Bill Dunkelberg, chief economist at the National Federation of Independent Business. It is only by depriving the private sector of funds that government can hire or subsidize hiring.

That’s why “jobs created or saved” is such pure fiction.

How much of a complete dumba$$ do you have to be to have compared Obama to the likes of FDR,JFK,and Lincoln.

Obama always has been and always will be nothing but a dressed up Hustler.

Baxter Greene on October 30, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Okay…

Rush DISAGREES with my “I told you so” moment.

Let’s see if Rush is correct, or I am. Rush JUST claimed (I am listening to his show) that we shouldn’t believe the MSM is EVER going to turn on Obama. He says this is a very temporary condition and that tomorrow CBS will be right back in the tank for Obama.

I disagree. I think this is the beginning of a trend we are going to see more and more. They turned on Hillary, they are going to turn on Obama. Why? Because it’s the economy, stupid.

Now I’ve stuck my neck out on this one. My analysis vs. Rush’s. This is not to say I don’t have the greatest respect for Rush, and I could be wrong and Rush right, but I take my position because of the polls, which are only going to go down, and I think CBS came out of a meeting wherein they concluded the worm was turning and they had to start turning with it, or lose their cred with the credulous (the last of the population to “get it”).

Danzo on October 30, 2009 at 2:36 PM

She sort of reminds me more of Ann Coulter, without the brains.

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

You sort of remind me of a pile of compost, without the horticultural benefits.

Jim Treacher on October 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Jim Treacher on October 30, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Bad week, thanks, I needed that!

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Seriously, who came up with this pork item anyway, Hugh Hefner?

Bill Clinton. He saw what Al Gore did with his global warming passion and wanted his own cause which he could make a movie about.

malclave on October 30, 2009 at 3:32 PM

She sort of reminds me more of Ann Coulter, without the brains.

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Note for future reference… signatures have a commonly accepted format, which you should probably learn. In this format, your post should have been written as:

She sort of reminds me more of Ann Coulter.

without the brains,

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Sorry for being a “grammar Nazi”.

malclave on October 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

She sort of reminds me more of Ann Coulter.

without the brains,

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Sorry for being a “grammar Nazi”.

malclave on October 30, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Perfect. I was going to put my 2cents in about Ann, but I can’t top that :)

nwpammy on October 30, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Obama’s legacy. One term idjit.

daesleeper on October 30, 2009 at 3:46 PM

Katie Couric on Fox News would be like bringing a bologna sandwich to a feast.

1921 C DRUM on October 30, 2009 at 4:22 PM

I do wonder about that. Bill O’Reilly has been almost insufferable lately when gloating over Fox’s ratings and he often cites how his show is neck-and-neck with Katie Couric in viewers.

Has CBS finally figured out that being a propaganda outfit for the Obama Administration is a recipe for ratings disaster? I guess we’ll know that hell has truly frozen over if Palin does an interview with Couric to promote her book and is treated fairly. receives an apology.

Doughboy on October 30, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I like this one better.

1921 C DRUM on October 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM

“Sex lives of female college freshmen”.

Hmmmm….Wonder if they’ll air those segments like the breast self exam?

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 30, 2009 at 4:34 PM

This effects Planned Parenthood’s bottom line.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Methinks Ed is being too optimistic. This is just a ploy by CBS — “See? We can be critical of the Obama administration!” — after which they’ll be back in the tank.

When it happens more than once per week month, then I might believe it.

Paul_in_NJ on October 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Step off you envious B. Step off.

redwhiteblue on October 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM