Liz Cheney: I can’t believe Obama brought photogs to Dover with him

posted at 9:19 pm on October 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Gateway Pundit clipped this yesterday and today it made the big time. I get the revulsion at photo ops with fallen soldiers, believe me, but look: He didn’t go to Dover as a prelude to pulling out. Even under the “McChrystal light” strategy that he’s toying with right now, we’re still talking about a build-up of some kind. If he had gone to Dover as a prelude to withdrawing, this photo would symbolize his willingness to abandon Afghanistan and, by extension, U.S. interests because he’s simply unwilling to accept casualties. Doing that on the backs of the dead, who fought valorously to win, would be intolerable. Going to Dover before a build-up symbolizes the opposite, that he is willing to accept the political consequences of further casualties to defend U.S. interests. Conveying that message by posing with a casket is dicey (although he did have the family’s permission), but it’s much more vivid than simply having a press pool reporter write it up — just as the photos of jumpers on 9/11 are much more vivid in communicating the stakes of terrorism than print accounts.

Look at it this way. A year from now, after many months more of hard fighting and men killed in action, which side is more likely to be angrily waving this photo in his face? Conservative hawks or the leftist doves in his own base? The answer is obvious, and don’t think he doesn’t know it. Yet he went and took the photo anyway. As a show of “tenacity” before the anti-war crowd that’s starting to shout at him about quagmires, you can do worse than this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

God Bless Liz C.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:21 PM

ahhhh the photo op…..

im lovin me some Liz…
the era of powerful conservative women in politics is upon us

alexraye on October 30, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Empty suit with some American heroes.

d1carter on October 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

This really pisses me off – I mean … REALLY pisses me off.If he honors American Soldiers who’ve made the supreme sacrifice – let him go alone.

We have good kids fighting and dieing for us – and they NEED help now. Meanwhile Obama is having useless photo ops.

This man is a traitor his nation.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The only reason he went to Dover is because he was golfing when all those soldiers died.

Just a CYA.

RarestRX on October 30, 2009 at 9:24 PM

I still can’t believe this waste of skin got elected.
I wish nothing but shame and heartache for obama and anyone associated with him.
Yeah, I said it. Now, make it so.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Disgusting.

Yellowdog12 on October 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

BS.

He could’ve gone and honored the troops WITHOUT the press.

Seems to be all fine and dandy when he wants to take his wife to NY to get some lovin’ in.

He prayed loudly in church so all could see he was a pious man.

Skywise on October 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that B Hussein 0 is CiC. WTF???

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

Coming from someone who’s carried caskets off of planes, I was shocked to see the President use that as a photo op.

It actually made me a little sick to my stomach.

BadgerHawk on October 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM

MSNBC Olbermann show (“Creepy Liar!” sub-host) is doing major damage control for this story. Hit and hit hard, Conservatives. Americans recognize exploitation and no shame.

Marcus on October 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM

You’re giving BO far too much credit. Everything is a photo opp for this guy. The campaign mode goes on. He doesn’t give a rat’s ass about the military and those who died.

His next ‘date night’ is of far more importance.

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Yeah, I said it. Now, make it so.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

HornetSting: So it is said,let it be written!tee-hee:)

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I can, he is a sick man with a small mind who thinks we will all fall for this blatant photo opp. It’s an insult to the fallen soldiers, the famalies and an insult to my intelligence.

javamartini on October 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Let him go to afghanistan and show his support there not at dover.

William Amos on October 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I can, he is a sick man with a small mind who thinks we will all fall for this blatant photo opp. It’s an insult to the fallen soldiers, the famalies families and an insult to my intelligence.

javamartini on October 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM

javamartini on October 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I hope he fails. A$$HOLE.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, I said it. Now, make it so.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

HornetSting: So it is said,let it be written!tee-hee:)

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Aye Aye, Captain!
I figured someone would say I was a terrible person for saying such a terrible thing. I’m just mean.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

I can’t possibly disagree more strongly, and this:

is hardly a justification.

BadgerHawk on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

Let him go to afghanistan and show his support there not at dover.

William Amos on October 30, 2009 at 9:28 PM

You’d have a hard time telling obama apart from the other terrorists.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

ANNINCA, ‘zat you???

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

well if he honored them without a cameraman there then it didn’t happen… or something.

Bush: didn’t want the the flag draped coffins of fallen heroes used as a photo op for cheep political gain.

Obamma: Opens up these flag draped coffins of fallen heroes to be photographed… and then goes around asking the families of these heroes if he can get in on that photo op action.

Ampersand on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Jerk.

JoeinTX on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Man – I just read Allah’s analysis on this … what a hideous candy ass.

After the Chicago Olympics fiasco Allah still gives this guy some credit for being politically astute?

Here’s my analysis – it’s simple – The “Champ” is being criticized for being a dithering coward – because he’s a dithering coward – so he goes out to Dover for a photo op to show his critics he’s engaged and … “he cares”. That’s the key thing with libbies – the “care” thing.

I almost can see him mouthing the words …

“I’m sorry Bush killed you”.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It never would have occurred to Bush to stage a photo op with a fallen soldier to boost his war policy.

Allah, this is beneath you.

manofaiki on October 30, 2009 at 9:32 PM

Ampersand on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

0 is a puddle of loose diarrhea.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Not buying the rationale, AP. This was a cynical, calculating move by Obama. Calling out the WH press pool at that hour for a photo op indicates to me that the Big O is looking at some internal polling that reveals a real slide in American approval.

Liz Cheney is a thoughtful (and sensitively careful) observer of what is going on with this administration. That she identified the administration as a lie was done, I am sure, with judicious restraint.

onlineanalyst on October 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Me thinks AxleBrokenRod,said,you know Bama,it would be
a great idea to welcome home the fallen,it’ll piss off
the RIGHT,make a helleva distraction,and show your car
ing and compassionate side to El Code Pinko’s Anti-War
Moonbats!!!!!!!!

But for gawd sakes Bama,don’t tell the media where ya
goin!!

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

AP I get what you saying here but the other officials really bug me somehow. Is that Holder? If this was a real personal gesture on his part why are 3 politicos from the West Wing there too? I appreciate the gesture from Obama. I really do. But having his cronies and a photag there make it look awfully political.

Rocks on October 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Great, go to Dover to honor our fallen troops, with all the sacred ceremony that is involved. Do the slow, mournful salute along with the accompanying guard. As CinC, it is fitting for you to do so.But for God\’s sake – don\’t take a cameraman with you so that you can use it as a photo op!!This boils my butt.

Intrepid on October 30, 2009 at 9:34 PM

How many saluting lessons did this dope take, do you think? And how soon before the photo op did he take the lessons? A week? A day? An hour?

Fed45 on October 30, 2009 at 9:35 PM

I still can’t believe this waste of skin got elected.
Yeah, I said it. Now, make it so.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Same here. It will happen. Unfortunately the rest of us have to pay the price. I hope they suffer as much or more.

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Liz Cheney in 2012

Fed45 on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

OH H3LLZ NO!

Fighton03 on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Like I have typed before: The Jack-In-A-Box president. Every day or whenever he sees fit, he pops out a new one. Just like on teevee.

ProudPalinFan on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 PM

It disgusts me that our military has to salute this douche.

SouthernGent on October 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Obama managed to salute without a teleprompter !!

macncheez on October 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

My point wasn’t clear re the lie. The claim that the incoming administration was briefed for only an hour is the lie.

onlineanalyst on October 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Aye Aye, Captain!

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM

HornetSting: Not worried about you being mean,its the
distance to your stinger,Stingette that I
really worry about,ahem!:)

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I disagree as well. GWB had countless opportunities to exploit the dead and urge America to carry on for the sake of their memory. I heard from several sources that he would often meet PRIVATELY with bereaved families but never made it a media event.

That Barry O makes this into a media circus appears to me to be the depth of odious cynicism. This pisses me off more than anything he has done so far.

see-dubya on October 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I just cannot wrap my head around the fact that B Hussein 0 is CiC.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:26 PM

He’s unfit to be a Scoutmaster, let alone CIC. That image of him saluting makes me sick.

flyfisher on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I really hope the dopeys on the left who thought this empty man would surrender to the terrorists (He cant do that Obama knows it would kill his re election chances.) suffer for their stupidity.

Obama wont cut and run till 2012. He will do the “I am seriously thinking of retreating” when the left pushes him but he wont pull that trigger outright till after the elections (in his mind)

More said to me is that he wants to talk to the people who killed these troops and give them power.

William Amos on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Obama managed to salute without a teleprompter !!

macncheez on October 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

macncheeze:You get two bonus points,for astute observation!
(kidding):)

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

I agree, this is just a photo opp for him. He looks out of place saluting.

4shoes on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Obama, the Campaigning War Hawk on Afghanistan, now looks for a new pair of tap dancing shoes in Dover, DE.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

You give him way too much credit Allah.

He’s anti-war.
He’s anti-miltary.
He’s anti-America.

The fact that he dragged photographers along for the trip underscores his only reason for going. To look good, to put on a show, to pretend he cares for the very troops he despises.

Eff ‘em.

As Liz Cheney said, if he wants to do something to honor the troops he can give McChrystal the 40,000 troops he needs to do the job.

Bush did the same, without the cameras, without anyone knowing, without feeding a huge ego. He did it silently and respectfully, and most of all, he did it from his heart.

fogw on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

How many times did Ogabe stop EVERYTHING to pitch his health care bill on prime time national television when it began sinking in the polls?

Now – how many times has he done the same for McCrystal’s Afghanistan plan?

That’s the hole in Allah’s logic here. If this were a priority he’d be screaming at the networks for another press conference to sell this plan to Americans.

It says a lot that he’d hold … what? Four press conferences and various and sundry other appearances on television for ObamaCare …

And not a single one to convince Americans this war is right.

Socializing America … it’s job #1.

Our kids in the mountains of Afghanistan – they’ll just have to wait. Here – have a flack jacket boys, it’s going to be a hot winter for you.

Disgusting.

HondaV65 on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Remember it was Obama who removed the ban on the filming of returning caskets. He should have at least had the good sense to keep himself out of the films but anywhere there is a camera this photo hog will appear.

William Amos on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

You are right Ms. Chaney, it is disgraceful and an insult to the military.

Wade on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

Fed45 on October 30, 2009 at 9:35 PM

He’s probably got photos of Mugabe and Idi Amin plastered around for help. Never saw his spine so stiff. The only thing missing was a sash and some medals.

Oh, yeah. His wrist wasn’t limp. He’s been practicing, for sure.

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 PM
ANNINCA, ‘zat you???

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Don’t you start too! Evidently, there is a rumor going around that I am Anninacan….I could NEVER be Anninca…I have a brain and I use it.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Barry saw a car wreck on his way back to the white house that night. He was going to pull over and help, but the camera man had gone home for the night so he didn’t see the point.

Ampersand on October 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM

This is the type of an analysis that you get from east coast conservatives. Just because it’s politics dosen’t make it right.

It’s all right to say that the President is an opportunistic politician and that this was done for his benefit and not the troop’s benefit. You’ll still be invited to parties AP.

Vince on October 30, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Is he saluting the troops or the terrorists that killed them? That I even have to ask…

SouthernGent on October 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

You give him way too much credit Allah.

He’s anti-war.
He’s anti-miltary.
He’s anti-America.

fogw on October 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM

fogw: And yet,he the current President!!

He’s still a Community Organizing Agitating POTHUSA!:)

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Liz Cheney’s daddy and uncle Bush attacked Iraq for no rhyme and reason and look how many soldiers they got killed. The blood is on their hands.

But hey, can’t expect wingnuts to be reasonable. As if they care about American lives! In your hatred, you guys are no different from Daily Kos crowd–except the object of hatred has changed.

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

what do the families of these soldiers say?

kelley in virginia on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Lousy stinking low life Communist tries to fool people by pretending to care about our troops, but leaves them requesting more troops to finish the job while he golfs and goes on dates.

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

flyfisher on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Hey don’t send him my way, my Cub Scout’s life would be miserable and he would KNOW it. He hates the guy.

ProudPalinFan on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

It breaks my heart the depths this country has sunk. It’s utterly reprehensible that this was done for political calculation instead of out of duty to our soldiers. There shouldn’t have been any press, it should’ve been a moment between him, the fallen, and their families.

p0s3r on October 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Is he saluting the troops or the terrorists that killed them?

That is absolutely disgusting. Sick.

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:41 PM

HornetSting: Well,we could use the Monty Python Witch Test!!

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:45 PM

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Remember that Sat. Night Live skit….”Jane, you ignorant slut”…? Shoe fits!

Vince on October 30, 2009 at 9:46 PM

terryannonline: are you saying it is disgusting that we don’t know whether Obama is saluting our soldiers or the murdering terrorists? or are is it disgusting that he, of all commie/terrorist/racist PoS, is saluting in the posturing in front of the cameras?

kelley in virginia on October 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

And, you’re no different than my toilet brush-you can’t blame Bush anymore, nutcup.

HornetSting on October 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

I have to admit that some of the comments here resemble stuff you would read in a Daily Kos thread about Bush. Not good.

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

Another display of the fact that the Child in Chief does not have a clue. Using fallen soldiers as a photo-op is the ultimate in disgusting. He has no shame. He wouldn’t know leadership if it jumped up and bit his wife on her big fat ass.

jwp1964 on October 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

kelley in virginia: note to self: get your tired illiterate butt to bed.

kelley in virginia on October 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Pelosi, Reid, Obama and everyone on the left called Afghanistan the “right war”. The strategies in place over there are all rubber stamped by Obama. He owns it. Just as he will own whatever comes from his new strategy yet to be revealed.

Will the blood of our troops be on their hands?

fogw on October 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

kelley in virginia on October 30, 2009 at 9:47 PM

It is disgusting to accuse the President of the United States is siding with the terrorists. Absolutely revolting.

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Remember when President George Bush,didn’t want pictures of the coffins,

so,what does President Obama do,he gets a photo-op while saluting!!

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Hurryhurryhurrywegottahavenationalizedhealfcarerightnowrightnowrightnooooooooooooooooow……

But…um…let me be clear…this, ahhhhh, troop surge, well, let me be clear…this is going to take some thought.

seejanemom on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

SouthernGent on October 30, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Thread winner!

Fed45 on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 9:44 PM

You talking about George W. Bush here right? The man who ran the most incompetent war machine…ever?

Thank God for McCain who pushed for a surge in Iraq. Left to Bush and Uncle Dick, Iraq would still have been dumps.

That of course does not tell us why did we go there in the first place.

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Does Barry the Effete meet with the families of fallen military as Bush did?

Haven’t seen anything in the news. I guess it would get in the way of his ‘decision making process’ and partying.

Anyone know?

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I would not – not – NOT let that useless piece of nothing near my child’s casket or my family in their grief. He’s leaving those soldiers and Marines hanging while he “ponders” whether or not to listen to the general that he appointed or to Crazy Uncle Joe. My guess is, he has a ouija board and one of those magic eight balls with the little window in the bottom that he checks in with before making any major policy decisions.
Only one of the 15 families of the soldiers allowed him his photo op – wonder what the other 14 said.

uncivilized on October 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I like that he went to pay respects to these fallen heroes. HOWEVER, I don’t like that he dragged his loyal photogs with him.

I want to defend his trip there and I have. I wish I could believe that he did this out of the goodness of his heart, but I really think it’s a cynical political ploy.

mjk on October 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM

seejanemom on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

seejanemom:

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Liz has no place to talk here. Her father never went to Dover and he dodged being drafted 5 times.

rjl1999 on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

That of course does not tell us why did we go there in the first place.

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

When you don’t like the topic BLAME BUSH! That you Barry?

Ampersand on October 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

On Topic, s’il vous plait?

mjk on October 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

So because our children have died there, we must continue feeding more of them into that death trap? You know history; you know it doesn’t work yet you demand we spend more lives? Regardless of how long we stay, or how many of our childrens lives are wasted, when we leave it will revert back. Get out now. The war against al qaeda is in Somalia and Yemen now.

MarkT on October 30, 2009 at 9:52 PM

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Dude if you want to make the point that conservatives are acting disgusting towards Obama, dumping all over Bush probably isn’t going to help.

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

AP, this is a classic over-analysis!! He cares nothing about anything except “HIS” image. He wants his flock to think he loves those sacrificed. His people must know he cares deeply. What a pile of crap. DO NOT think he cares about anything other than himself!!!

PaCadle on October 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

No, what’s disgusting – and revolting – is that we have any reason to think that it might be true.

uncivilized on October 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

The Douche Bottle in Chief isn’t fit to polish their boots.

He can definitely polish apples, though, no problema.

seejanemom on October 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Anyone know?

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Cody1991: Kinda like when Obama was on the election trail,
and,had the soldiers bracelet on,but couldn’t
remember his name!!

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Will the blood of our troops be on their hands?

fogw on October 30, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Of course he owns it. And I want him to honor General mcChrystal’s request. And I am all for criticizing him if he does not…or “dithers” more or sends less number of troops than required.

Criticize him on that by all means. But to say he hates America or was saluting the terrorists is just disgusting. Plain old hatred. The kind Left specialized in for 8 years. And which the folks here found disgusting.

And then they practice the same?

rightistliberal on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

rjl1999 on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

On Topic, s’il vous plait?

Are you going to say my opinions are irrelevant because my grandpas were drunks and I’ve never been in the military? Don’t judge people on their families, buttercup. Judge them on their own actions.

mjk on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

He apologized for America during his speech to the Muslim world in Cairo. He bowed before a Saudi Prince. He’s letting Ahmadinejad get away with building his nukes.

He has been siding with terrorists, people who fund the terrorists, people who intend to arm the terrorists with nuclear weapons.

I think that about covers it.

fogw on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

He should of went without the cameras. The story here is about Obama being there with the cameras looking on, not the brave men who died. He should of done this quietly.

Brat4life on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

rjl1999 on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

she’s guilty for the “sins” of her father? nice.

Ampersand on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

terryannonline on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Normally I’d say that’s true…currently…who knows?

jwp1964 on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

rjl1999 on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Yeah, that’s totally relevant to her opinions on the matter.

Attention everyone – unless you or a family member served in the military you’re no longer allowed to give an opinion on anything related to it.

BadgerHawk on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Let me be clear, Odumbass is a piece of sh!t.

txag92 on October 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM

Obama managed to salute without a teleprompter !!

macncheez on October 30, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Never assume.

I had thought that he might be saluting a mirror out of frame of the photo… but maybe he was really saluting the TOTUS.

malclave on October 30, 2009 at 9:55 PM

rjl1999 on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Agree 100%

The only person who knows how to respect fallen soldiers is this

macncheez on October 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

canopfor on October 30, 2009 at 9:51 PM

SUuuuH-WEEEEEET!!!

Peed my thong…..I needed some levity, fer sure–THANK YOU!!! ;)

seejanemom on October 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

flyfisher on October 30, 2009 at 9:39 PM

Since I am a Missouri Synod Lutheran, it would behoove me to just hope he fails. My catechism tells me this. LORD, have mercy.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:56 PM

What disgust me is that the Whiner-in-Chief is attempting to honor those whose devotion is beyond his comprehension.

Hey Libs! You may want to change things in this country, but next time around at least elect a Yank. How about that for a compromise? This dude is a dud.

Cody1991 on October 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM