Liz Cheney: I can’t believe Obama brought photogs to Dover with him

posted at 9:19 pm on October 30, 2009 by Allahpundit

Gateway Pundit clipped this yesterday and today it made the big time. I get the revulsion at photo ops with fallen soldiers, believe me, but look: He didn’t go to Dover as a prelude to pulling out. Even under the “McChrystal light” strategy that he’s toying with right now, we’re still talking about a build-up of some kind. If he had gone to Dover as a prelude to withdrawing, this photo would symbolize his willingness to abandon Afghanistan and, by extension, U.S. interests because he’s simply unwilling to accept casualties. Doing that on the backs of the dead, who fought valorously to win, would be intolerable. Going to Dover before a build-up symbolizes the opposite, that he is willing to accept the political consequences of further casualties to defend U.S. interests. Conveying that message by posing with a casket is dicey (although he did have the family’s permission), but it’s much more vivid than simply having a press pool reporter write it up — just as the photos of jumpers on 9/11 are much more vivid in communicating the stakes of terrorism than print accounts.

Look at it this way. A year from now, after many months more of hard fighting and men killed in action, which side is more likely to be angrily waving this photo in his face? Conservative hawks or the leftist doves in his own base? The answer is obvious, and don’t think he doesn’t know it. Yet he went and took the photo anyway. As a show of “tenacity” before the anti-war crowd that’s starting to shout at him about quagmires, you can do worse than this.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

simplesimon on November 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Whaaa???? How is asking if…. Where do you get the idea that I think….Nevermind.
Damn your comments are hard to follows. Do you just read something and decide what you think it said?

Okay, you think I think everyone is out to get me. Whatever, however my comment brought you to that conclusion.

And Deb, you’d the very last person I’d worry about being “out to get me”.

Did you come back to actually make an intelligent comment about the Obama Administrations rules of engagement?

hawkdriver on November 1, 2009 at 4:40 PM

…you’d “be”…

hawkdriver on November 1, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Well, I think simplesimon has demonstrated that she is indeed not worthy of any of our time. Cheap shot one trick insult troll.

Hornetsting, I apprecaite all the kind words. Please ignore this one like I intend to. She is utterly beneath you.

hawkdriver on November 1, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Ths slow salute did it for me. Obama must have been getting some practice.

WRT Bush and Dover. I did read somewhere that Bush, Cheney, and the Joint Chiefs always had someone at Dover.

davod on November 1, 2009 at 5:12 PM

3. 2009…Hard-core Leftist auto racing team owner Steve McQueen Paul Newman dies. Read about the racing team which still bears his name here, race fan:

Del Dolemonte on November 1, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Fixed.

Del Dolemonte on November 1, 2009 at 5:45 PM

“PRESENT”…………….

makes me sick to my stomach to see these political klowns “saluting” my brothers in arms……..shame shame shame…

AMERICAN VETERAN on November 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

AMERICAN VETERAN on November 1, 2009 at 5:54 PM

The NY Times actually found a retired military guy to write an op-ed today praising O’bama’s salute. Shows how pro-military Pinch, Keller and Frankie B*tch really are!

Del Dolemonte on November 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM

The democrat strategy has always been to exploit battlefield casualties for political gain.

It comes as absolutely no surprise that this inexperienced goof ball with NO military service record, NO business management experience, NO successful track record AT ANYTHING, trys to buy public sentiment to advance his socialist political agenda on the graves of those he has dishonored.

You just can’t get any more dispicable than that.

bannedbyhuffpo on November 1, 2009 at 9:04 PM

Where was that deference to the office when President Bush was in power? You liberals really are the consummate hypocrites.

hawkdriver on November 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

That dope invaded the wrong country. No deference for him!

simplesimon on November 1, 2009 at 3:32 PM

He made the rules, dumbass.

ddrintn on November 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM

The President’s only had 9 months of practice to get it right.

yoda on November 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought only military people saluted in that manner; civilians salute by placing their hand over their heart. Although the President is the Commander in cheif, he is still a CIVILIAN.

Bottom line, it is disgusting for any politician to bring photographers to a scene such as this. It screams, “ME! ME ME ME ME!”. Obama has to learn that it isn’t about HIM, but about honoring the soldier’s sacrafice. You don’t do that with a photo op.

wolfva on November 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM

wolfva on November 2, 2009 at 3:53 AM

Well said. Mr. Itsalla Boutme thinks its all about him.

yoda on November 2, 2009 at 7:15 AM

They do not know if he possesses the obstinacy that guided Lincoln and Churchill, and which must guide all war presidents to some degree.

David, my boy, you could have also used George W. Bush as a fine example of tenacity and obstinacy. He had to fight everyone in DC as well as Iraq. Not to mention Cheney and Petraeus.

Herb on November 2, 2009 at 9:15 AM

Shameless scumbag… Photo opportunity, period.

Claypigeon on November 2, 2009 at 11:37 AM

You type like you are a veteran of the 3rd grade.

simplesimon on November 1, 2009 at 7:53 AM

And your debate style indicates you are not.

Fighton03 on November 2, 2009 at 12:06 PM

Del Dolemonte on November 1, 2009 at 6:32 PM
The President’s only had 9 months of practice to get it right.
yoda on November 2, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Obama clearly has bowing to a Saudi King down.

dthorny on November 2, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Shameless.
The reason Bush never did cheap shots like this was bcs he was in the military & he knows what it means to serve.
Obama loathes the military & is this country’s #1 narcissist.
This is the reason he sees nothing wrong with using dead men for a photo op.
We have a psychologically dangerous wack job in the Oval Office.
And it gets scarier every day.

Badger40 on November 2, 2009 at 1:48 PM