Video: The obligatory “Larry David pees on a painting of Jesus” clip

posted at 6:00 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

People have been buzzing about it and the indignant Catholic League statement has been duly issued, so I suppose this is worth a thread. For a variety of reasons, starting with my Internet nom de plume, I have no problem with blasphemy; what’s amazing, though, is that a tired goof on Christian iconography could still retain a comic charge for someone like Larry David. The South Park guys do religious humor well because their gags are inventive and they’re willing to take on all comers, not just Bible-believers. This clip, by contrast, makes you feel like you’re watching the umpteen-thousandth local news segment about some family that sees Jesus in the mold on their ceiling. In fact, David probably came up with the idea after he stumbled across a reference somewhere to “Piss Christ.” Which is now, um, more than 20 years old.

The other odd thing about goofs like this is that they’re not, shall we say, topical. Any comic who takes a poke at JC these days will be asked this question, and very few of them will have a good answer to it.

Update (Ed): I almost never watch this show, not because I don’t appreciate good satire (I love South Park and Penn & Teller and their Showtime show Bullshit, even though they occasionally criticize Catholics and Christianity), but because the constant screeching gets on my nerves.  I happened to watch this particular episode, however, and I don’t get the outrage — or at least don’t get a rational reason for it.  I’ve gotten quite a few e-mails today saying that Larry David mocked Jesus, but pretty obviously, David mocked the people who see Jesus in their grilled cheese sandwiches and the like.  There is a very large difference between the two, thankfully, and the latter are certainly eligible for a satirical poke or two from time to time.   In fact, South Park has already ripped those in terms more specific to my own Catholic faith in one episode, and while I disagreed with it, I didn’t think it fell outside the boundaries of social satire.  Also, we should note that David did do an episode poking fun at the burqas of Muslim women, which isn’t quite analogous to this episode, but went further than most other television shows would dare.

Conservatives who will get easily offended should probably ignore Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

***
I just love it when real liberal sophistication is in action! Like the National Endowment for the Arts P**S CHRIST, ROBERT MAPPLETHORP EXHIBITS, etc. At taxpayer expense yet!
***
Anything goes to insult us “ignorant Christians”. What refined, intelligent people. Maybe he will get “eye for an eye” treatment in Hell.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 31, 2009 at 1:39 PM

Oh ok.

Yes the atheists also commit hate crimes against Christians and desecrate religious icons,but the atheists are not a legitimate religious movement.

All of the atheist movements have been founded by people who did not believe in atheism.

The silly,gullible and bitter atheist minority have always been nothing but pawns, used and abused and too stupid to even realize that their movements were always founded by non atheists.

Wow I guess that makes you people the stupidest sheeple of all.

Imagine that. All the people who have preached atheism to you and your heroes who have founded all the atheists movements are NOT ATHEISTS THEMSELVES.

Talk about your people’s mind boggling stupidity and gullibility.

MaximusConfessor on October 31, 2009 at 10:52 AM
——–
Yes, and the pro-life movement was founded by a pro-choicer who wanted to double-outsmart the competition with reverse triple child psychology.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2009 at 2:25 PM

It wouldn’t be so bad if they also ran a show where he pees on the koran…

reshas1 on October 31, 2009 at 4:38 PM

It’s cause Larry has a narrow ureter. Cotton

Sonosam on October 31, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Perhaps this country has significantly changed, and the present administration is just a reflection of how, as a majority, we hold few things sacred, even as to the most fundamental core sources of our values, i.e, religion.

And all that said, maybe Ed Morrissey realizes this better than I do: that by in large we are a Godless nation, and best to go with the flow, or lose clients and thereby our means of feeding our families, rather than stand up for our core beliefs, especially if those beliefs are Christian, which is so not PC to do these days…

Principles and values, in case you all don’t know, come right from God, NOWHERE else. When you mock the source of those values, you demean the source of goodness itself.

Rush has it exactly right…. talent ON LOAN from GOD. It’s funny because of the WAY Rush says it, but it is true. Humor used in that way makes us think without defacing saints and mocking believers.

Danzo on October 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Danzo on October 31, 2009 at 10:40 PM
———-
No, you believe principles and values come form God. The historical record does not support your belief.

But that’s the beauty of religion: you believe your crap despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2009 at 10:44 PM

I think Ann Coulter says it best in a word:

GODLESS

And sadly, Hot-Air panders to that demographic.

Danzo on October 31, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I have not been watching “Curb you Enthusiasm.”

Has Larry David insulted homosexuals on his show yet?

How about feminists?

Abortion (butchering of live new human beings) choicers?

Leftists?

Democrats?

Hollywood celebrities?

Hip Hoppers and Rappers?

Blacks?

Hispanics?

Barrack Hussein Obama (Peace be unto Him. Praise His Holy Name. Bow before Him in submission and adoration. Surrender yourself to Him completely. Serve Him in every way, with your entire being, at every moment, with every thought, word, and deed, for He is the Infinite source of Love, Compassion, Mercy, Wealth, Prosperity, Health, and Salvation. Prostrate yourself before Him in humble supplication and devotion) devotees?

Al Sharpton?

Jesse Jackson?

Louis Farahkan

Malik Shabaaz?

And, to echo the question in the article and also asked by many who posted here, did Larry David take the time to find an image of Mohammad to desecrate, or did Larry David find a Quran to desecrate?

Where are his guts?

Where is his Artistic Genius?

Where is his fearless expression?

Is Larry David’s disrespect and religious sacrilege only reserved for stupid, harmless, compassionate, forgiving, patient white Christians?

Come on, Larry David,

Let’s see you totally desecrate Islamic images, scripture, and sensibilities!

Desecrate black and Hispanic sensibilities.

What’s the matter, Larry?

Are you CHICKEN????????

William2006 on October 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM

By the way, and in continuation of my previous comment,

Larry David,

Let’s see you insult and desecrate the sensitivities of homosexuals, lesbians, transgendered, transsexuals.

Use your creativity, your artistic genius and skewer them.

Have you done it yet?

Will you do it yet?

If you haven’t, then let’s go, Larry.

Show us you have cajones of iron.

Show us your creative genius, your guts, and your “I don’t give a damn, I am an equal opportunity insulter” sensibilities.

Or, are you CHICKEN, Larry?

William2006 on October 31, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I have not been watching “Curb you Enthusiasm.”

Has Larry David insulted homosexuals on his show yet?

How about feminists?

Abortion (butchering of live new human beings) choicers?

Leftists?

Democrats?

Hollywood celebrities?

Hip Hoppers and Rappers?

Blacks?

Hispanics?

Al Sharpton?

Jesse Jackson?

Louis Farahkan

Malik Shabaaz?

Where are his guts?

Where is his Artistic Genius?

Where is his fearless expression?

Come on, Larry David,

Let’s see you totally desecrate Islamic images, scripture, and sensibilities!

Desecrate black and Hispanic sensibilities.

What’s the matter, Larry?

Are you CHICKEN????????

William2006 on October 31, 2009 at 11:10 PM
——

Larry should make a show
about idiot gasbags
who don’t watch his show
but make lists of things
they demand he make shows about.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

I’m sure in all fairness that he’ll piss on Mohamed’s picture next. (Riiiiiiight)

Bert Convy on November 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM

When I saw this clip, in which Jesus is yet again the subject of vulgar humor, I was reminded of Isaiah, chapter 53, starting with verse 3 (in the Complete Jewish Bible); the prophet says about Messiah Jesus:

“Like someone from whom people turn their faces, he was despised; we did not value him. In fact, it was our diseases he bore, our pains from which he suffered; yet we regarded him as punished, stricken and afflicted by God…

“We all, like sheep, went astray; we turned, each one, to his own way; yet Adonai laid on him the guilt of all of us. Though mistreated, he was submissive — he did not open his mouth…none of his generation protested his being cut off from the land of the living for the crimes of my people, who deserved the punishment themselves.”

KyMouse on November 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM

I am tempted to get a map of the stars homes, take a dump in a paper bag, put it on his porch and light it on fire while ringing the doorbell.

I wonder if he would think that is funny.

ScottyDog on November 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM

Larry should make a show
about idiot gasbags
who don’t watch his show
but make lists of things
they demand he make shows about.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

better yet, we should pee on a photo of Larry David, and videotape it, and send it to AP for a thread, where you can celebrate your cool, your openmindedness and your sense of humor by applauding it.

Chris_Balsz on November 1, 2009 at 3:31 PM

Quoting Dave Rywall’s comment in which he quoted me, William …

Larry should make a show
about idiot gasbags
who don’t watch his show
but make lists of things
they demand he make shows about.

Dave Rywall on October 31, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Dave,

To borrow your phrase … Larry should make a show about idiot gasbags who cannot read, but who engage in attacking other posters by stupid, inaccurate comments like yours based on false statements.

Dave,

I did not say I did not watch Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

I clearly stated that ” … I have not been watching “Curb you Enthusiasm. … ”

That means I have not been watching the show, not that I NEVER watched the show.

Translated for you, Dave, I have watched the show, but recently I have not been watching the show.

There IS a difference, Dave.

Do you understand?

Thanks for responding to my statement nonetheless, Dave.

William

William2006 on November 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Dave,

Dave,

I did not say I did not watch Larry David’s “Curb Your Enthusiasm.”

I clearly stated that ” … I have not been watching “Curb you Enthusiasm. … ”

There IS a difference, Dave.

Do you understand?

Thanks for responding to my statement nonetheless, Dave.

William

William2006 on November 1, 2009 at 3:40 PM
——-
If gasbag had watched several episodes, gasbag would know what the show is about and the numerous topics that get lampooned. And gasbag wouldn’t include these on a list of topics gasbag wanted Larry to cover on his show.

Dave Rywall on November 1, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Has Larry David insulted homosexuals on his show yet?

Several episodes, but the most recent was a few episodes ago with his girlfriend’s gay doctor – There are a few episodes with angry lesbians

How about feminists?

All the time, watch any episode with Wanda Sykes

Leftists?

Since he divorced his wife he’s had a few episodes making fun of leftists and environmentalism (see the episode about recycled toilet paper and how he can’t talk lefty when he loses hearing in his right ear)

Hollywood celebrities?

All the time…

Hip Hoppers and Rappers?

The Crazy eye killar episode

Blacks?

Several episodes – the one where he asks the black doctor if he got where he was by affirmative action and then having a black family move in with him their last name is Black, btw. Too many fights with Wanda Sykes to mention

Hispanics?

Buying his hispanic maid a bra and her husband reacting touched on that issue

Louis Farahkan

there were a string of episodes where he hires a Nation of Islam detective

not exactly but one of my favorite episodes was the one where he sets his blind friend up with a woman in a burka – he tells his friend she’s a “good muslim” he also goofs on the mentally challenged in that episode

It is satire and he is pretty good at skewering many different kinds of people. If he’s overlooked some group or another I’m sure he will get to them eventually. But the butt of most of his jokes is himself…

Ann NY on November 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Ann NY on November 1, 2009 at 6:01 PM
——–
Shhhh stop it with all the facts. They’re too facty for Hotair.

Dave Rywall on November 1, 2009 at 8:40 PM