Video: RomneyCare was never about lowering costs, says Mitt

posted at 8:45 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

It wasn’t?

The problem with Romney’s account is that at the time he signed the bill, he was saying it would bring down health care costs. Specifically, in a triumphant April 2006 Wall Street Journal op-ed titled “Health Care for Everyone? We Found a Way,” Romney boasted: “Every uninsured citizen in Massachusetts will soon have affordable health insurance and the costs of health care will be reduced.” (Emphasis mine.)

Romney, for the most part, was able to avoid criticism for his Massachusetts health care plan in the 2008 Republican primaries. At the time, it was still too soon to evaluate the program with hard data and Republican primary voters weren’t really paying attention to the issue of health care. But now both things have changed — the legislation has proved disastrous for state finances, the cost of premiums, and doctors’ wait times. In addition, Republican voters have become more aware of health care policy issues. And Romney’s plan is basically the Baucus bill at the state level: a government mandate forcing individuals to purchase health insurance or pay a tax, and government subsidies to help individuals purchase government-designed insurance policies on a government-run exchange.

I’m not sure which is worse: Trying to control costs, failing, and then denying that you tried or not even trying in the first place. I assume he’s going to end up settling on some sort of “the communist Massachusetts legislature made me do it” line on RomneyCare ahead of the primaries, but if so, then he ought to settle on it soon and start hammering it. No more misstatements or weasel words; all that does is play into the perception that he talks out of both sides of his mouth. Just tout the plan as noble in its ambitions but ultimately doomed because he had to work within liberal parameters, which always produce wasteful boondoggles. In fact, he could weave that into a sweet stump speech for Republican candidates next year: Unless we have a Republican Congress, a Republican president in 2012 won’t be able to accomplish much. But even so, this is a major obstacle for him. Needless to say.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Mitt: “I was brainwashed about RomneyCare

I Was A Teenage Socialist.

Feedie on October 29, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Romneycare 2012: Smarter socialism!

Classic GOP Whig, circa 2006, 2008. No thanks.

james23 on October 29, 2009 at 11:16 PM

1. ADMIT MISTAKE

2. DRAW PARALLELS TO LIBS’ PLAN

3. DISMANTLE EACH ELEMENT OF LIBS PLAN AS DISASTROUS

4. POSITION SELF AS “BEEN THERE DONE THAT IN LIB STATE” GUY

marklmail on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

5. FIX CAPS LOCK KEY

RINO in Name Only on October 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM

And this, ladies and gentlemen, was the only viable conservative option during the 2008 primaries. No wonder we were screwed.

CreatedOrSaved on October 29, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Allah Pundit misquotes Mitt Romney.

Boy there’s a shocker. This is a new low for Hot Air. Romney obviously was not saying that he didn’t ever care about lowering costs. He said that as far as Obama’s nationalized healthcare is concerned, Romneycare is not pertinent to lowering costs.

“That’s a whole different topic.”

I know Romney talks like an intelligent person so I can understand why some might miss his point.

Dr B on October 29, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Careful folks. I hear Romneybots are 10 times as vicious than Palinistas at scrabble and croquette.

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM

I’d take Mitt over the dufus we have in there now any day of the week.

RedbonePro on October 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM

We strap our dogs to the roof of the stationwagon. :P

Dr B on October 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Mitt Romney seems to me to be much more dangerous for the GOP.

My thinking is that the GOP label is just so damaged. I mean, really. Down to % in the 20′s? That’s damaged.

It must either reframe itself or, frankly, change names.

He’s so tied to old-style GOP politics, and his compromise in MA on their healthcare is only a symptom of the problem.

AnninCA on October 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM

We strap our dogs to the roof of the stationwagon. :P

Dr B on October 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Well, they don’t fall off that way.

RedbonePro on October 29, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Allah, you don’t distinguish between controlling health care programs as a line item in government budget versus health care costs in general, for citizens or measured as a percent of GDP. Considering that in recent days you have lambasted the Democrats for missing exactly this point, this post can’t be called much except disingenuous.

One of the main aspects of RomneyCare was to get people insured so that government subsidies directly to hospitals that serve the uninsured could be ended. I think that goal may have partially failed, but that is irrelevant to the idea of if health care in general was supposed to be made cheaper. You are inventing a goal that was never there: to reduce health care costs in general. The goal was to shift costs away from being blanket government outlays.

Romney is very plainspoken and straightforward. I have no idea how people always come up with ulterior motives and ideas about what he is saying. None of the interviews or trackback articles I see support the assertion the goal was ever to reduce the cost of healthcare, as in total cost as a part of GDP. Why would it? TO SUGGEST A GOVERMENT PROGRAM COULD EVER DO SO IS NOT A CONSERVATIVE ARGUMENT.

Resolute on October 29, 2009 at 11:58 PM

BTW that means you all are attacking Romney from the left, in case you missed it.

Resolute on October 30, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Romney signed the bill and he owns it. The only way he could have distanced himself from that Charlie Foxtrot known as the Mass. healthcare system was to have vetoed it. That was the only way for him to be able to run from it. Everything else is just political speak that won’t even get him elected as dog catcher. He absolutely ruined his economic cred.

TQM38a on October 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM

Democrats have been running Romneycare into the ground. Mitt should be proud of getting more people covered and blame the rest on the Dems.

AtheistPundit I’m sorry you can’t undestand the context of two different quotes from Romney.

Be specific about what costs you and he mean also.

PrezHussein on October 30, 2009 at 12:27 AM

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Really?

I can’t imagine this guy inspiring passion.

AnninCA on October 30, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I’m telling you, and I have said it before and will say it again, Romney will have a built-in response to this. The primaries won’t go into force for at least another 2 years. That is TWO Lifetimes in US Political life. When it does come up, all he will say is this:

“Boy, they sure screwed that up once I left and had no control over it, eh?”

I do not say that as a Romney fan, in fact, I’m rather cold on him. But two years from now, people will buy it and follow blindly. Unless……

JamesLee on October 30, 2009 at 12:58 AM

Romney is more establishment GOP than true conservative.

This is why the Hoffman race is so damn important. It’s not so much making third parties viable, but a fight for the heart and soul of the GOP. I’m pretty sure Hoffman wouldn’t mind caucusing with the GOP, but unless he wins, that won’t happen.

If Hoffman wins, it’ll be a sign from the base saying ‘don’t you dare abandon us now. You need us more than we need you and you know it.’ We need that desparately. The only party than can mount any sort of challenge to the democrats is a solid, Reaganite GOP… which doesn’t exist. We have a limp-wristed, RINO controlled GOP that can’t even fight its way out of a paper bag. If Hoffman wins, we can change that right quick in 2009 as opposed to AFTER the 2010 midterms.

Chaz706 on October 30, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Hell, why not mandate everybody pays for their own insurance and somebody else’s too? That sure saves the government some cash and boosts coverage too.

Chris_Balsz on October 30, 2009 at 1:30 AM

And National Review endorsed this guy???

How the mighty have fallen.

silverfox on October 30, 2009 at 3:20 AM

Nothing against Mitt. In fact, when the economic roof caved in on McCain during his campaign, Romney would have looked awfully good in his place.

But the GOP needs to run against DemCare in the most forceful manner possible in 2010 and 2012 or it’ll lose a great deal of strength from the tea party crowd and others. Romneycare is a millstone around Romney’s neck that sinks him like a stone. I don’t want a candidate who will be spending half of his appearances and press conferences defending Romneycare to a liberal media that will savage him for it.

Spend dollars and effort on someone else.

BuckeyeSam on October 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM

and they say Palin is the idiot..!!!!! lol

unseen on October 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Romney, Allahpundit’s bet for 2012. Allahpundit’s favorite winnable and decent Republican … unlike that hick Palin.

Go AP! Promote Romney and other republicans like him!

My group is looking for more Hoffmans out there.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 5:28 AM

Romney should just say, “Wow, we learned our lesson in Massachusettes!” Romney doesn’t give me heartburn. Now some other GOP candidates….

WyoMike on October 30, 2009 at 5:29 AM

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 11:43 PM

Agreed. Real Conservatives have to learn the LYING AND SPINNING SKILLS OF BELTWAY REPUBLICANS AND THEIR SUPPORTERS to win races.

On a second thought … Oh no, never mind. We will end up like them.

Let’s just stick to truth and admission of guilt/fault whenever necessary.

And the truth is:

CONSERVATISM brings economic and religious freedom and wealth.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM

and they say Palin is the idiot..!!!!! lol

unseen on October 30, 2009 at 5:02 AM

Palin erred many times … and she suffered, took the blame and penalty from it. Her major blunder? Be a VP nominee of a sic RINO McCain.

But almost all Republican heavy hitters are already beyond repentance and redemption … like Crist, Sanford, McCain, Gingrich and Romney.

They really made unforgivable blasphemies in the name of Conservatism. So, to Gov. Jindal, give up your Carbon Market mantra before it’s too late.

After the resignation, she’s starting to rebuild herself and image. Good one for Palin. I will be forever in debt to her: she rekindled my love and courage to fight for Conservativism in the Age of Socialist Obama.

I will always respect Palin no matter what.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 5:43 AM

God, I would rather leave 2008 in the past. This is masochism and surefire loss if the GOP trots out this also-ran.

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 5:48 AM

This weasel is just one of the many who killed the party of Reagan.

bloviator on October 30, 2009 at 8:06 AM

Romney, like the Huck, the Newt, and Palin have never really had a serious chance of being President. Oh sure they could get the nomination but getting elected is a whole other matter. Independents just don’t like these folks. Who they like, it’s no longer Obama, remains to be seen.

With the world today, 2012 is an eternity away.

patrick neid on October 30, 2009 at 8:10 AM

Let him blubber. He’s not on my list anyway.

Mr. Grump on October 30, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I’d take Mitt over the dufus we have in there now any day of the week.

RedbonePro on October 29, 2009

But so many of us are tired of being forced to choose the lesser of two evils. Why can’t we choose a “good”?

SKYFOX on October 30, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Romney, Huck or Palin is the best they have got? If so just go ahead and give the election to the demwits in 12. Has to be some one out there with real conservative values..

TEXASLEGAL on October 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM

CONSERVATISM brings economic and religious freedom and wealth.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM

But liberal hatred and class envy are so much more fun.

SKYFOX on October 30, 2009 at 9:54 AM

I just never understood the allure that Romney had. Never thought that he really represented conservative values with his health care, and that was BEFORE the results had been revealed. Pushing gov’t mandated healthcare will kick you off my list in a hurry. Trying to weasel your way out of it after it is discredited is even worse. We need people of conviction and principle, not flags blowing in the breeze.

search4truth on October 30, 2009 at 10:28 AM

House Bill, by the Numbers

Posted by Dan Perrin (Profile)

Friday, October 30th at 11:18AM EDT
No Comments

Total cost: $1.055 trillion

New Taxes: $572 billion

Cuts to Medicare: $426 billion

Not included: $245 billion needed to stop Medicare payments to doctors from decreasing, pledged to be passed in a separate bill to keep this bill “revenue neutral”

Pages: 1,990

The word regulation appears in the bill 181 times.

The word fees appears in the bill 103 times.

The word tax appears in the bill 214 times.

“As we all know, nothing says ‘affordability’ like higher taxes and fees.”

From Dow Jones Newswires:

“The $1.055 trillion estimate also does not include $245 billion needed to stop Medicare payments to doctors from decreasing, which the House plans to address through separate legislation introduced Thursday.

nondhimmie on October 30, 2009 at 11:33 AM

I like Romney, but as others have said, RomneyCare is a millstone around the guy’s neck. He would have a lot of ‘splainin’ to do–in fact, I think he does have a lot of ‘splainin’ to do. If I were him I would probably try and explain what it was I wanted to do, why I thought it would work, and acknowledge that I was wrong and here’s what I would do going forward (*cough* get government out of healthcare, allow private sector competition to increase by removing onerous regulations, etc.), and I think that would go a long way toward alleviating fears. People make mistakes, even spectacular ones, and he needs to acknowledge this as a mistake. Rock and hard place, I know, but it’s his bed he has to lie in–so make the right choice.

Andy in Colorado on October 30, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Oh, yeah, the other thing: I appreciate you bringing this interview to everybody’s attention Allahpundit because it reminds people there is a problem with Romney’s inauthenticity. Mitt Romney is an opportunist. He needs to be exposed. Thank you.

apacalyps on October 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

inauthenticity

apacalyps on October 30, 2009 at 1:55 PM

correction: authenticity.

apacalyps on October 30, 2009 at 1:57 PM

This thread is pretty funny in total. It is an attack on him from the left which is used to say he is a RINO. He says he does not buy the Liberal idea that a government program was going to make things more efficient in total and he is attacked for not buying into that liberal idea along with made up assertions that that must have been what he believed but now he flip-floped

Resolute on October 30, 2009 at 6:05 PM

This post dropped off the main page in a hurry! I guess when you misquote someone to bash them, you gotta do it quick!

Dr B on November 1, 2009 at 1:56 AM