Reason TV’s Nanny of the Month

posted at 11:36 am on October 29, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

No, it’s not the cops who questioned a man for being naked in his own kitchen, although that case gets an honorable mention. This month’s Reason.tv Nanny of the Month award goes to a New York state legislator who crusaded to ban the practice of fish pedicures.  Like most oddball fads these days, this started in Japan; fish attack dead skin on the feet of customers.  Jeffrey Klein bravely attacked the toothless carp industry after New York was deluged by … er … no complaints at all about the procedure:

Let’s not get too hard on Nanny Klein. After all, what is not explicitly mandatory must be made illegal in this era of Hope and Change, right? Otherwise, the toothless carp will win!

Perhaps this may attract viewers to a more serious effort by Reason TV next week, honoring Ayn Rand and “Radicals for Capitalism”:

Coming November 2, Reason.tv will debut “Radicals for Capitalism: Celebrating the Enduring Power of Ayn Rand’s Ideas,” a new video series featuring segments on the novelist’s continuing presence in American culture and exlcusive interviews with Nathaniel Branden, Barbara Branden, Reason Foundation founder Robert W. Poole, Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.), and many others.

For more details and an archive of recent Reason-related stories on Rand, including reviews by Brian Doherty and Nick Gillespie of two new biographies of Rand, go to http://reason.org/rand

Looks like a worthy effort.

Comments

WTF?

Why not ban catch and release trout fishing? Isn’t that even crueler?

I better shut up, they just might do it.

Mr. Joe on October 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Jeffrey Klein needs a piranha body smoothing.

OmahaConservative on October 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM

I know! Replace little carp with little piranha and see how many complaints there are.

ExpressoBold on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM

When asked about putting discarded fetuses on your face to look younger, Klein said “hey, look that way!” and then hopped on a plane to Brazil.

LibTired on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Maybe we could stick all of their heads underwater and the carp will eat those dead brain cells…..LOL

PatriotRider on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Finally someone has done something about this barbaric practice. I hope he tackles cat juggling next. Maybe they’ll make a movie about him, “The Jerk goes to Albany”.

shooten on October 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I have a goldfish pond. Maybe I can start a business. All natural fish pedicures. That kind of sounds like I will be giving the fish the pedicures doesn’t it? I don’t think fish even have nails and even if they do I’m betting they would be to small to file and polish and forget about the pictures. No way I could handle that with my old eyes. Oh well, it was an idea.

RagTag on October 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Mixing both stories (the nakedness in the kitchen while having an animal clean you off in full view of the neighbors) would probably be a justifiable intervention by authorities…

Nethicus on October 29, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Spotted bass work better than carp.

MadDogF on October 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

shooten on October 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

As long as they don’t ban cat yodeling I am cool.

Johnnyreb on October 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

That kind of sounds like I will be giving the fish the pedicures doesn’t it?
RagTag on October 29, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I totally thought that when I read fish pedicures. I wondered how you gave a fish a pedicure and why would you want to.

sammypants on October 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Hey, somebody had to take on big carp.

I want to move to New York State. Clearly they have so few problems that they are able to spend their time on these issues instead of having to worry about the economy, jobs, or any of the other stuff we are concerned with. That Governor Patterson must be a genius at management.

highhopes on October 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

As long as they don’t ban cat yodeling I am cool.

Johnnyreb on October 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I love a good cat yodel, but I can’t get mine to do it.

sammypants on October 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Toothless carps don’t give people pedicures, people give people pedicures.

LibTired on October 29, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Fishy Fishy fish…

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2009 at 11:55 AM

As long as they don’t ban cat yodeling I am cool.

Johnnyreb on October 29, 2009 at 11:49 AM

I love a good cat yodel, but I can’t get mine to do it.

sammypants on October 29, 2009 at 11:52 AM

Mine won’t do it either. They prefer cat growling.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Mine won’t do it either. They prefer cat growling.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 29, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Is this your cat?

WashJeff on October 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Obama: the Toothless Carp of Presidents.

profitsbeard on October 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I wonder if ACORN could help me turn into a business venture if I told them that I wanted to smuggle young creatures from Asia in for the purpose of setting up a toe-sucking enterprise.

highhopes on October 29, 2009 at 12:06 PM

I’m still waiting for the Democrat who shows up with the supporting statement:

“It’s ILLEGAL to put crap in the same basin as people put their feet into. It should certainly be banned, not regulated. How are crap going to remove dead skin cells anyway?”

ExpressoBold on October 29, 2009 at 12:07 PM

What’s the objection to it? I thought maybe it’s because you can’t exactly sterilize or even clean the fishys between customers so it is not hygienic.

Blake on October 29, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Who will be the new Carp Czar?

A-Pun, maybe?

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Is it just me, or do Pelosi’s lips look like she’s been giving a lot of these pedicures?

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 12:15 PM

There\’s a lot more to the story of \”Mr. Coffee\”, btw. He really is a flake, with a substance abuse problem, and his rotating versions of his story are probably largely due to his inebriation.He himself called his nude parade an \”act\” – an act that \”got old\” so he put his pants on.He\’d been fired the Friday before the Monday incident report, for not showing up for work, AGAIN. His housing, the house where he roomed, was provided by the employers. His roomates reported him acting \”strangely\”, roaming the house, drunk, wearing only a construction hat. The guy admits getting confused about the time of the incident, as he was roaming for several hours that way; he now admits he was not necessarily spotted at 5:30 in the morning as he originally told the press.Also misreported or mis-commented on – the woman and kid were heading to a public school busstop directly opposite the house\’s front windows.They were on a marked gravel path in a common area between two houses, not tresspassing on the nude tenant\’s grass. She did not complain of seeing him nude in his kitchen. She said her attention was directed towards a noise, ( which included the possibility he might have actively been trying to draw attention, but that looking was precipitated by at least some passive circumstance that would naturally draw attention). He was nude in the doorway of a carport.Her response, she reported, was what I would consider the natural response – not to linger and \”peep\” but to avert eyes, step up the pace on the path, and get quickly to and turn onto the public sidewalk, When she turned onto the sidewalk he had \”followed\” them, that is, he no longer remained in the carport but was facing out of the front windows with the shades open.He was going to be asked to vacate the premises anyway, so perhaps this is a situation that would have resolved itself. I believe it was the totality of the circumstances that led to his being charged, including the drunkeness, and the chagrin of his roomates about his crazy-ass drunken self;the fact that an elementary school bus stop was located directly across from the house, and that there are rumors of previous incidents of exposure to children at the stop, make me wonder if this fellow is all so innocent and minding his own business as he claims.Especially since he, in the way of all dissemblers, minimized the situation, distorted it for benefit of the press, then later expanded the story as facts demanded, and maybe leaked more of the truth when trying to excuse himself (referral to his parade as \”an act\” that \”got old\” so he put his pants on.)That and his general flakiness and drunkeness make me a little less furious at police taking the complaint seriously.He likely will not be convicted under the indecent exposure statute in Virginia. But a little hassling in this case may not be the draconian police 1984-ish bluenose prudery home invasion it has been made out to be.

SarahW on October 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Is this your cat?
WashJeff on October 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Thanks a lot!!! My terrier and austrailian shepard were barking and my big white cat was at my feet while I was watching the video. I had so much fun watching them….I’m going to watch it again. Don’t report me to PETA.

yoda on October 29, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Man, that’s NUTHIN’. I’ll take a couple o’ your carp and raise them a couple MILLION oysters, a $500 MILLION business and a way of living for generations for Bon Secour AL, NOT to mention New Orleans, Pensacola and Apalachicola:

FDA to ban sale of raw oysters from Gulf of Mexico

THAT is a nanny state, my friends. For FIFTEEN deaths a year.

They’ll have to pry those slimy bi-valves out of my cold, dead, wet fingers…

tree hugging sister on October 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM

We need a carp bailout.

rbj on October 29, 2009 at 12:36 PM

shooten on October 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

A few years ago, Neal Boortz did a special on the sport of cat chasing.

A bunch sky divers go up in a plane, along with one cat.
Toss out the cat, a few seconds later, the sky divers go out after it.

Whoever comes down with the cat wins.

Do I have to add this was a spoof to get the animal rights guys mad?

MarkTheGreat on October 29, 2009 at 12:47 PM

FDA to ban sale of raw oysters from Gulf of Mexico

THAT is a nanny state, my friends. For FIFTEEN deaths a year.
They’ll have to pry those slimy bi-valves out of my cold, dead, wet fingers…

tree hugging sister on October 29, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Me, too, Sis. Used to work on the oyster and shrimp boats during summers when I was in High school and college — out of Theodore and Bayou La Batre, AL.

Some of the hardest working people I’ve ever known make their living this way. And, to shut them down as a result of a handful of questionable deaths is downright immoral.

The bastards.

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM

shooten on October 29, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Was he born a poor black child?

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Oh that just makes total sense. Ban a toothless carp, that eats dead skin off of feet. (eeewwww) yet save the damn smelt in California, thereby depriving hard working farmers, of water.

Now THAT is just soooooooooo smart! NOT!!!

capejasmine on October 29, 2009 at 1:05 PM

*channels the late great Johnny Carson*

[turns to Ed. ]
“hmmmmnnnnn, may a school of hungry toothless carp turn your jacuzzi party into an all-you-can-eat buffet…”

max1 on October 29, 2009 at 1:11 PM

Ayn Rand was near prescient in foreseeing the inevitable calamity of an Obama/Mouch coming to power. Almost precisely by the means she described through the pervasive influnence of a Soros/Toohey. If you have had the pleasure of reading both Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead, you have to admit it is a bit more than uncanny.

By equating unreasonable as intellectual and reason as immoral, they have sown the seeds of our destruction. The masses now worship at the altar of the illogical, like Alice down the rabbit hole, they chase the attainment of an Orwellian nirvanna while chanting pithy progresssive platitudes of politally perverse.

We can all look forward an ever greater plethora of mindless morons like Jeffery Klein spewing increasingly irrational power play piffle disguised as prudent public policy.

Hmmm, it would seem that I have a penchant for the letter “P” today. What’s that all about?

Archimedes on October 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM

pithy progresssive platitudes of the politally perverse.

Damn typo’s! Imperfections ruining perfectly good prose.

Archimedes on October 29, 2009 at 1:54 PM

A few years ago, Neal Boortz did a special on the sport of cat chasing.

A bunch sky divers go up in a plane, along with one cat.
Toss out the cat, a few seconds later, the sky divers go out after it.
Whoever comes down with the cat wins.
Do I have to add this was a spoof to get the animal rights guys mad?

MarkTheGreat on October 29, 2009

We have enough people thinking we’re crazy/stupid. We don’t need those PETA pukes yapping at our heels. On second thought…it might be fun to take a PETA punk up in a jump plane, toss him out at 3K, without a chute, and give him a 15 second head start before going out to chase him.

SKYFOX on October 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

the practice of fish pedicures

How in the world do you give a fish a pedicure? I mean, they don’t have feet for goodness sake. Might as well ban snake manicures too.

fish attack dead skin on the feet of customers

Oh, the fish are giving the pedicures… well there’s your problem. I doubt the fish took the licensing exams.

gekkobear on October 29, 2009 at 2:37 PM

If we can save just one child’s little toe from being harmed, it will be worth it.

jukin on October 29, 2009 at 3:14 PM

SKYFOX on October 29, 2009 at 2:30 PM

That’s horrible and I can’t believe you would even think like that. What if he landed on a cat? Not to mention all the insects killed when he impacts the ground. Shame on you.

RagTag on October 29, 2009 at 3:21 PM

Carpe diem!

SilverStar830 on October 29, 2009 at 3:42 PM

CRAP PEDICURES:

There once was a political chap,
Who caused an unreasonable flap.
He’d tried to ban “carp”,
But he wasn’t too sharp,
’cause he’d misread the ad as “crap”.

Yoop on October 29, 2009 at 3:54 PM

Fish pedicures? Sounds good to me. We have to do something for our scaled friends to make up for all those years of abuse by Bush abd his fishing buddies. If we give fish pedicures they might even like us.

MaiDee on October 29, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Why can’t these people just get rid of dead skin with battery acid like normal people do?

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on October 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Just wait, they tried to ban Brazilian Waxes here in NJ, we’re gonna fool both states by having Fish Waxes, either using fish to get a wax or waxing a fish, I’ll decide later on.

Rbastid on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM