Quotes of the day

posted at 10:42 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

“‘In many ways, he’s sent from God,’ he joked in an interview, ‘because the world’s a mess.’

“But Sting is serious in his belief that Obama is the best leader to navigate the world’s problems. In an interview on Wednesday, the former Police frontman said that he spent some time with Obama and ‘found him to be very genuine, very present, clearly super-smart, and exactly what we need in the world.’…

“‘It’s aggressive and violent and full of fear,’ he said of the [conservative] backlash against Obama. ‘They don’t want change, they want things to feel the same because they feel safe there.’”

***
“They came of age during the great abundance, circa 1980-2008 (or 1950-2008, take your pick), and they don’t have the habit of worry. They talk about their ‘concerns’—they’re big on that word. But they’re not really concerned. They think America is the goose that lays the golden egg. Why not? She laid it in their laps. She laid it in grandpa’s lap.

“They don’t feel anxious, because they never had anything to be anxious about. They grew up in an America surrounded by phrases—’strongest nation in the world,’ ‘indispensable nation,’ ‘unipolar power,’ ‘highest standard of living’—and are not bright enough, or serious enough, to imagine that they can damage that, hurt it, even fatally.

“We are governed at all levels by America’s luckiest children, sons and daughters of the abundance, and they call themselves optimists but they’re not optimists—they’re unimaginative. They don’t have faith, they’ve just never been foreclosed on. They are stupid and they are callous, and they don’t mind it when people become disheartened. They don’t even notice.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Sting, where is thy depth?

UltimateBob on October 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Allahpundit, you quote Sting?

What next? Words of wisdom from Matt Damon (oh you did that during the election didn’t you?).

Way to go lowering the tone of the blog and indirectly contributing to the destruction of society.

Anders on October 30, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Wow. I guess he must have missed the excellent, fair, and thorough coverage of the Tea Parties by the dinosaur media.

Oh, wait…….

UltimateBob on October 30, 2009 at 9:45 AM

Seething with jealousy and envy of Americans…Who’s a cranky English Basterd.

Dr Evil on October 30, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I think Noonan nailed it in this piece.I think Sting is a hammer or something that likes to be used.And, I think we need to ignore the concern troll also known as Anninca. Though I learn quite a bit from the debates with her, she is like her B actor acquaintances and not very bright, and totally annoying how she hijacks a thread and then, poof! dissapears because her favorite show came on tv. What a twit.

4shoes on October 30, 2009 at 10:11 AM

The irrelevant Stink is so out of touch with reality he sounds like Pelosi.

marklmail on October 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Sting is, imo, a brilliant and talented musician.

It is kind of funny to read of a rich rock star who lives a life of abundance lamenting the attitudes of *other* folks who’ve lived a life of abundance, without any hint of irony in his voice.

Midas on October 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

I still can’t believe he didn’t get more roles offered to him after his superb portrayal of Feyd in the first “Dune” movie. Really, it was after he was passed over for Best-Supporting Actor that I lost all faith in the Academy.

Seriously…

(Shut up and sing)

hawkdriver on October 30, 2009 at 10:36 AM

When I was fifteen I thought Sting was brilliant and profound. I first read Ayn Rand because he mentioned “The Fountainhead” in an interview. Now I think he’s just silly and boring.

metrygirl on October 30, 2009 at 11:08 AM

Sting, Sting, Sting.

I love ya buddy, but STFU. You’ve obviously been drinking deep of the Kool-Aid. Obama will not rest until he’s saddled our children and grandchildren with unsustainable debt and a thoroughly weakened nation. If that’s “smart,” give me a dumb President who keeps it simple and looks at the bottom line.

evergreen on October 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM

Sting is, imo, a brilliant and talented musician.

Midas on October 30, 2009 at 10:25 AM

The second part is Noonan, not Sting.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

Bono the Elder.

Hening on October 30, 2009 at 12:10 PM

A$$phincter says what?
This phrase should be borught forward every time an entertainment person speaks their mind-conservative or liberal both.
These people need to understand their comments have influence over the masses of STUPID people who are, unfortunately, allowed to vote.
IMHO actors, musicians, etc.. need to STFU & do what they do-entertain us.
They are not here to inform.
On the flip side-when I saw Merle Haggard last year at Prairie Knights casino in SD, he was feeling pretty frisky & couldn’t help but dig at POTUS, though he didn’t mention him by name specifically.
Oh how I love Merle!

Badger40 on October 30, 2009 at 1:15 PM

How fitting is it that the same guy (Sting) who wrote the creepy “Every breathe you take” thinks Big Brother Obama is Godlike?

Buy Danish on October 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Whats with the beard? Now people will take me serious, I have manly facial hair?

Dr Evil on October 30, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Not my grandpa

Seems to me it is Obama chasing the goose around the barn

Which god? Baal?

entagor on October 30, 2009 at 4:08 PM

another GENIOUS,,, he thinks its cool to support a black guy …….

coninnyc on October 30, 2009 at 4:09 PM

The second part is Noonan, not Sting.

Count to 10 on October 30, 2009 at 11:28 AM

I hate it when they just don’t come out and tell you who said the quote here.

Is there a prize for following the link and figuring it out?

LOL

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 30, 2009 at 4:39 PM

He makes his money in the good old USA then tries to rip it apart.Can youi say TWO FACE!

regmgr on October 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

regmgr on October 30, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Personally I think Stink lost it around 1987, he is a typical Lib disguised as a singer, and not such a great one (since leaving The Police anyways)

cableguy615 on October 30, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Sting says –

“My hope is that we can start talking about real issues and not caring about whether God cares about your hemline or your color,” he said.

A$$! I’ve been to half a dozen tea parties, multiple town halls and countless GOP and community meetings and no one yet has mentioned a hem line or anyone’s color. That’s what the media keeps talking about. I think Sting is an unfortunate victim of the BBC. The BBC is the reason British boys grow up thinking all American girls look like Pam Anderson – all they know about America is what they see on the telly.

Well, looks like I’m off to Staples to buy another shredder. Between Bono, Dave Matthews and Sting, my cd collection is diminishing daily. Pretty soon it will be down to Van Halen and von Beethoven.

gopmom on October 30, 2009 at 7:13 PM