Poll: 63% say media coverage of Obama is either fair or … too critical

posted at 9:24 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

Maybe the Mayans were right about 2012 being the End Times. This feels like a sign.

pew

It’s not just lefties; indies hit a combined 60 percent too. Could be that we conservatives are simply viewing things through right-tinted glasses, but when even an outfit as lefty as Vanity Fair accuses the White House of being “in greater control of the media than any administration before them,” I’m inclined to look deeper. One possibility: These results may indicate how large Fox News looms in the public’s media imagination. Glenn Beck’s been on the cover of Time, Obama’s top henchmen have been on Sunday morning chat shows whining about Hannity et al., and Nielsen often shows FNC drawing more viewers in primetime than the other three cable nets combined. The channel’s outsized prominence may be almost singlehandedly “balancing” the coverage of The One in voters’ minds. In fact, another question polled by Pew shows 47 percent labeling Fox as “mostly conservative”; by comparison, the news network with the highest number of those saying it’s “mostly liberal” (i.e. CNN) tops out at just 37 percent.

On a very much related note, this post by John Simpson made me laugh harder than any other in recent memory. Remember when Olby, Maddow, Shuster and the rest of the fair-and-balanced gang at MSNBC were reduced to doing stand-up routines about conservative “teabagging”? Simpson sure does:

I seriously doubt teabagger is an epithet conservative Republicans will embrace. Who would? But then it occurred to me. Who’s doing the real oral servicing here? We Tea Partiers, who object tooth and nail to every major scam and power grab liberal Democrats and the President are trying to shove down our throats? Or liberal left-wing mouthpieces who can’t open wide and fast enough for Obama’s Chocolate Munchkin Donut Drop?

Let’s face it. When the White House emails you on the air to correct you, there’s some serious dunking going on there. Funny. Rachel Maddow and Keith Olbermann, who foisted that term in full measure on the public consciousness in mid-April, spent two and a half hours in secret with the President and some other major Obama microphones a few days ago. From what little we hear, the President spent some time railing against FOX News and Glenn Beck, but lips have been sealed very tight around the rest of what went on there. Could it be it was “time to take the dough nuts”?

Personally, I wouldn’t want that getting out either. But I think there was some hardcore slam-dunking going on there, and I’m not talking LeBron James.

Follow the link for further thoughts about an “airtight seal.” Exit question: In an NPR(!) online poll of almost 400,000 people, 56 percent side with Fox News over the White House?

Update: This seems like the right place for a link to Ace’s thoughts about “holding democracy hostage,” too.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And 68% say the coverage has been fair or not critical enough Obama is a crybaby
malclave on October 29, 2009 at 9:35 PM

FIFY

agmartin on October 30, 2009 at 2:33 AM

Either Allapundit can’t read or he is very, very bad at interpreting statistics.

The headline in no way matches the results presented.

landlines on October 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM

It’s up to 60% of 420k now…

clancy_wiggum on October 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM

The headline in no way matches the results presented.

landlines on October 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM

Beaten by about 30 min, alright well I have nothing to add but seconding landlines.

jarodea on October 30, 2009 at 3:11 AM

landlines on October 30, 2009 at 2:37 AM

AP is having a hard time wrapping his head around the idea that people generally watch coverage they think is fair, so when they’re asked if the press coverage is fair, there’s a pretty good chance that some of them will answer according to what they watch.

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:15 AM

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:15 AM

I have to agree with AP on this (worlds are crashing). I find it especially disconcerting and ominous. But the question is very poorly phrased, without a doubt.

progressoverpeace on October 30, 2009 at 3:19 AM

progressoverpeace on October 30, 2009 at 3:19 AM

The data is flawed but the conclusion is not? I don’t follow. Is that like fake but accurate?

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:24 AM

What do you mean? 63% do say that the media is either fair or too critical. What people have said is that they prefer to use the other splitting, that 68% say that it’s fair or not critical enough, but I think that AP chose the more important grouping.

The problem with the wording is that it doesn’t ask if people think the media they follow is like this, or if they get a general feeling. As you said, I follow media that I think gives as fair coverage as I’m going to find, but I would say that the media, as a whole, is not even close to critical enough – and would check that in the poll. But who knows how people answered the question?

It’s like Luntz’s dials (which I like) but at times it’s hard to tell if people are scoring high because they like what’s being said or high because they think it’s true. Kind of like when a speaker says something that people agree with, but in a way that you don’t want to applaud – sounding as if you’re cheering what is being literally said, when it can be the opposite. Audiences have odd reactions at those times.

progressoverpeace on October 30, 2009 at 3:32 AM

The poll question is meaningless. We don’t even know what coverage they’ve seen. If someone only watches MSNBC, how would they know whether or not it’s fair coverage? If they only watch MSNBC and Fox, does that add up to fair coverage? Some might say yes. There’s absolutely no way to know what they meant by their answers, so I don’t see how it matters which way AP splits the poll. To me it only matters that AP actually thought the poll meant something.

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Ronnie on October 30, 2009 at 3:48 AM

Okay. I gotcha. But I still think it’s interesting, in a bad way. The traitor is still getting around a 50% approval rating. Obviously, there are a lot of real imbeciles, and worse, out there.

progressoverpeace on October 30, 2009 at 3:56 AM

This country elected him with all the knowledge of Rev. Wright, his Domestic Terrorist buddies, and having no real knowledge about his background growing up.

Of course they don’t know if the media is being fair or not with him.

There is frankly over half the country too stupid to notice just how down on their knees the media is for Obama.

And the GOP doesn’t do anything in a concerted way to educate them about him either.

TiminPhx on October 30, 2009 at 4:50 AM

Evidence of decades of liberal brainwashing.

BuckeyeSam on October 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM

It is a dumb poll. I don’t believe it. Everyone I know, including the people who are willing to give Obama the benefit of the doubt, believe the media kisses his behind. It is a joke.

Terrye on October 30, 2009 at 5:34 AM

But you listen to Rush and Hannity especially and they spend 100% of their time bashing Obama and zero time trying to analyze/troubleshoot what went wrong on 11/7/06 and 11/4/08. What little time they do give to that subject is in vague generalities.

If we get our own dysfunctional GOP house in order everything else will simply fall into place.
There’s been some improvement this past week what with this Hoffman/NY23rd business. But mostly the GOP of 11/4/08 remains with us, sadly. Darvin Dowdy

Darvin Dowdy on October 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Exactly. I don’t understand the triumvirate with their continued bashing of Democrats. Rush continues to just point out that the Democrats are ruining America. He rarely directs fire at the GOP. If he thinks that the GOP needs to adopt the Constitutional platform then he needs to start calling them out and holding them responsible. Instead he and the triumvirate continue to market the GOP. It’s insane.

True_King on October 30, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Yup, seems like End Times, for the Republic. The left has spent 50 years dumbing us down, and now the payoff seems near.

petefrt on October 30, 2009 at 7:36 AM

“Too critical” and “Fair”" are apples and oranges. This is a poll about media coverage, not barry. The “Fair” vote probably contains alot of people who thought in context of fox and talk radio. As usual, this poll means nothing.

peacenprosperity on October 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM

If this is really the end of Democracy, either because the people have been deluded so easily, or because they really want socialism with someone else controlling eveery breath of their lives (I’ve watch these types in the Navy and on welfare and semi-permanent unemployment)then so be it. There is nothing you can do to stop it and maybe it’s time for it to go. A long period of Neo-Dark Ages is upon us. Man, may never be ready for true freedom.

Don L on October 30, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Poor Bush bad to sign off on crap he didnt want to just to be a team player in the end for these clowns. Notice this crap didn;t start until Palosi showed up. Here they were worried about paying for the Iraq war? Now they are doing this 2.2 mil a word crap?

johnnyU on October 30, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Wel, them it must be wrong, if everyone you know thinks the media is in teh tank for Obama. After all, how can a poll of hundreds of random people possibly compare to Terrye’s anecdotal sampling of a few friends?

Grow Fins on October 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Grow Fins on October 30, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I could run a poll and find 90% support for any position if I word it the right way. Any poll that asks for subjective responses like a definition of “fairness” is not worth the paper it’s written on.

angryed on October 30, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Well there’s AP listening to NPR again. Slow news day?

Blacksmith8 on October 30, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Darvin Dowdy on October 29, 2009 at 10:17 PM

True_King on October 30, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Neither of these jokers actually listen to Rush EVER.
Why not just make up some fake racial slurs and be done with it? Huh, fellas?

Blacksmith8 on October 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM

I don’t disagree. I have friends who do stun me with their lack of caring or knowledge about what’s going on. But, even when I explain it to them, they still don’t care, and that is what I am talking about.
progressoverpeace on October 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM

LMAO

crr6 on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

His race card antics of past are driving the sympathy votes away.

bluegrass on October 30, 2009 at 11:53 AM

More people say it’s not critical enough (both total numbers, republicans and the crucial independents. Dems of course are in the tank)

The largest group says it’s fair.

NOW, if MOST people were getting their news from NPR, well then yeah, that would be sad. But since it’s VERY clear that FOX NEWS blows away NPR, CNN and MSNBC and has a pretty large share compared to the alphabet network news as well, then it’s not so surprising. The HUGE numbers of FOX NEWS watchers are most likely a significantly LARGE percent of this poll, and many of them probably DO feel coverage is fair.

flyfishingdad on October 30, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The poll is a joke. The wording is too general.
You cannot make a specific conslusion based on general questioning like that.
Give me a break.
There’s too much that can be assumed here without any hard data.
Junk.

Badger40 on October 30, 2009 at 1:42 PM

progressoverpeace on October 29, 2009 at 10:42 PM
LMAO

crr6 on October 30, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Hm. This pretty much says loads about you.
The problem is that people don’t care & people like you think that attitude is funny.
It’s down right frightening so many people don’t care.

Badger40 on October 30, 2009 at 1:46 PM

Most people I know aren’t really paying that much attention to the news, biased, Fox or otherwise.

Just hoping it will all go away and things will get magically better.

So, yeah, I can buy these numbers in this poll.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM