Politico hit piece: Iowa group scrambling to meet Palin’s massive speaking fee

posted at 6:41 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

One of our trolls demanded to know this morning why my Headline for this story was so different from Politico’s headline. Answer: Because their headline, like much of the story itself, was laughably misleading. In fact, rather than read me blathering about it, take five minutes and read it yourself (or at least this takedown of it) — being careful to note how long it takes them to mention that (a) Palin hasn’t demanded a fee, (b) Palin hasn’t done anything to suggest to the group that she’s interested in attending, and (c) the group itself says it’s raising money only to pay for a large venue in case she does decide to show. They wanted a story about a greedy diva who was looking to cash in on her political celebrity, and darn it, they were going to get it. Sample quotation from the fifth and sixth paragraphs of the story:

“If somebody tells me they want me to pay an appearance fee, it tells me they’re not very serious about running for president,” said Ed Failor, Jr., president of Iowans for Tax Relief and an influential GOP insider.

“I found it really, really odd,” Failor said.

If, if, the Iowa group that’s trying to get her to come really is raising money to pay her fee, then that’s an interesting story — not because it proves that Palin’s money-hungry but because it’d show that she’s in such hot demand that even grassroots organizations in Iowa are willing to offer her incentives to appear at their gigs.

So unfair is the Politico piece that it’s even being knocked by … Newsweek. Which, naturally, didn’t stop Matthews from running a segment about it tonight, omitting all the key details.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You should be ashamed.

MadisonConservative on October 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM

lol

Americannodash on October 29, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Nothing says “FOAD” like when a troll gets publicly pwn3d by AP.

Nice work ;-)

bluelightbrigade on October 29, 2009 at 9:10 PM

OMG! Allahpundit wrote something about Sarah Palin, and didn’t add a single invective? The moon is blue, the seas have turned to blood, and successful suicide bombers are garnering ice skates.

Danzo on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Danzo on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Nonsense, AP is normally fair to Palin it’s just that he doesn’t engage in the mindless worship like some of my fellow Palinists.

TimeTraveler on October 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

Danzo on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Mayhaps Allahs fav candidate picked up the weapon and blew his foot of with it
“Romneycare never was about controlling costs!”

dhunter on October 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Have to add my appreciation to Allah to do without the snark on Palin and trash a troll at the same time. Nicely done. Thank you.

Christian Conservative on October 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I do not understand why Sarah Palin is treated this way. I am not her most ardent supporter, but Democrats are just crazed about her. What does that come from?

MayBee on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Fear, tinged with jealousy.

massrighty on October 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Ahhhh….

One of our trolls demanded to know this morning

That’s how you get noticed, be a troll.

Making… note… to… self…. now sending e-mail full of indignant jibberish…. waiting to be made famous….

Hog Wild on October 29, 2009 at 9:50 PM

Which troll?

HornetSting on October 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Wrinkled, rotted Foreskin

thomasaur on October 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM
FIFY.

HornetSting on October 29, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Aha–it was little guppy fish…figures!
Politico headline: “Iowa Republicans wince at Palin fee.”

HotAir headline: “Demand for Palin even has Iowa groups reaching for their checkbooks.”

Interesting.

Grow Fins on October 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM

lovingmyUSA on October 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Okay, Grow Fins = Foreskin. I’ll have to remember that one. He’s my biggest fan!

Jim Treacher on October 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Can’t believe they thought they could get by with putting one thing in the headline, then writing the opposite on the second page in that article.

Okay, I can believe it. Still stupid, though.

Oh, and AP, good post. Your ratio of snark to substance is (slightly) improving on Palin.

cs89 on October 29, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Iowa Republicans wince at Palin fee
Which doesn’t actually exist
Well, we can’t prove it, anyway
But would you really put it past her?
Us neither
Jim Treacher on October 29, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Says it all, enough said really…….

bluemarlin on October 29, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Reading any article on Politico is similar to drinking an opaque drink, (One where you can’t see through it), and it starts off pleasantly and then you feel something slimy go by your lips that shouldn’t be there. You feel sick and want to puke. This is one putrid group of writers.

inspectorudy on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the careful reading. But I still liked that Iowa has to pay.

I’m done with that bunch controlling so much of the early primaries and exerting too much influence.

AnninCA on October 29, 2009 at 11:46 PM

inspectorudy on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

ROTFLMAO! Allahpundit, we really need an ongoing comment competition. These guys need recognition for their greatness.

platypus on October 30, 2009 at 12:22 AM

First, Allah, good job. See, it isn’t hard to be nice, fair and balanced, is it?

I like a bit of snark BTW, but dayumn!

BTW, I have a ton of photos of Sarah that I rotate on my blog if you need some help. (Even have one of her in the Rose Garden!) Shoot, how about the one that was in Runners World? The one in her office.

Anyhow, I blame the promoters for this fiasco. Somehow an e-mail got “intercepted” Really? How does one “intercept” an e-mail, legally.

I’ve never booked speakers, but I’ve promoted some drag races, and one thing you just instinctively know is if you are going to have a booked in show, the first thing you do is BOOK THE SHOW!

You’d have thought they would have at least had a commitment contingent on them being able to pony up the money for the stadium rental. And that’s what the $100K is for, FACILITY RENTAL, not any fee to her. All they need it 10,000 people @ $10 to break even on her fee. They get twice that many people, and charge 3 times as much for tickets, at least.

The promoters of the event are the ones that need to get a clue.

gary4205 on October 30, 2009 at 12:42 AM

Mayhaps Allahs fav candidate picked up the weapon and blew his foot of with it
“Romneycare never was about controlling costs!”

dhunter on October 29, 2009 at 9:22 PM

Quote of the day material!!

gary4205 on October 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Jim Treacher on October 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM

You seem to have your own troll fan club!

lovingmyUSA on October 30, 2009 at 1:02 AM

Palin likely shoots wolves from helicopters, too.

And demands a fee for it, probably, also.

I heard.

Maybe.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2009 at 1:33 AM

You seem to have your own troll fan club!

lovingmyUSA

Norman Blizter is head of the club lol He hates JT because JT debates reasonably and rationally while old Norm resorts to the typical lib tactic of insults and cursing.

beachgirlusa on October 30, 2009 at 1:50 AM

It amazes me how many people STILL don’t get Allahpundit.

Allah posts a story saying can you believe what the left is saying about Palin now. Then he’s attacked for attacking Palin.

This isn’t the first positive story on Palin. This isn’t even the first defending Palin. Does no one get the Levi posts are in her defence??

Do I belive he’s her favorate, no, but he in no way attacks her.

Some times he does like to rib people, but who wouldn’t when they attack you everyday?

- The Cat

P.S. Do readers think Allah posts Frum articles because he likes him? Hint hint: it’s to make fun of him and letting us in on it.

MirCat on October 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM

I remember the original post and the trol was Grow fins who clearly has a reading comprehension issue and a dissociaciative from reality disorder.

Daemonocracy on October 30, 2009 at 3:05 AM

A massive fee? Compared to who may I ask?
Gores’ or ________(insert any liberal hack)?

If I wasn’t so damned angry and tired of all the stupid left-wing journalism, I’d be LMAO!

hopefloats on October 30, 2009 at 3:13 AM

What’s the problem. Pay the fee, or find a cheaper speaker. Are all Iowans this cheap and whiney?

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 5:01 AM

Danzo on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

AP knows he’s already bordering into DKO blogger. He has to pretend once in a while.

He knows theBoss is monitoring who are the enemies from within. AP’s report card is below average.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 5:25 AM

Hey I’m a nobody and I get swag for helping promote things (I have like 400 A&E Channel Pens and notebooks) which just entails slapping a flash banner on my site for a week or so. I’ve never done a book review where I wasn’t sent a free copy either. Am I being greedy or is it just good from on the part people making demands on your time to throw you a little something.

Even if these people were telling the truth having to pay a well known person to appear at your event is boilerplate to say the least. Good job on this one AP.

Rob Taylor on October 30, 2009 at 5:57 AM

“There’s no indication that the former governor has requested a fee… even though our headline accuses her of doing so.”

Jim Treacher on October 29, 2009 at 6:49 PM

They are terrified of this woman. I love it!

And thank you, Allahpundit, for standing up for a conservative.

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 6:06 AM

There is no indication that the former governor has requested a fee or that her decision whether to attend is being influenced by whether she’ll be paid.

Friends don’t let friends become Journalism majors.

MNHawk on October 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Jim Treacher on October 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM

So that’s where IncrediBoy got to.

Physics Geek on October 30, 2009 at 7:59 AM

MirCat on October 30, 2009 at 2:59 AM

The problem with this analysis is that some of us have actually read AP’s posts on Palin.

He has had a few “can you believe that?” posts, but many many many more “look how high her unfavorables are,” “How is she different from Huck,” “Oh no! an ethics complaint,” and multiple “she’s wishy-washy on committing to attend functions” posts when the circumstance were similar to this one. I think Palin/Stapleton and AP have finally caught on that you have to be crystal clear when others pull crap like floating her name without an actual commitment from her to be somewhere, and in this article the writer did AP a favor by actually contradicting the headline in the article itself.

I can show you a few articles in the HotAir Vault where the initial story said “Palin committed but then won’t come,” AllahPundit ran with it and got 500-1000 comments, then the later story came out much like this: promoters wanted her there for ticket sales, she didn’t agree to come, and she came out looking bad.

Not the first, but vastly outnumbered by the negative. Anybody who’s done content analysis before could tell you the message AllahPundit has sent with his consistent theme since late in 2008. “Palin is a lightweight populist who has slim to no chance of winning in 2012. Why don’t you Palinistas give it up and select a candidate a few degrees to the left of her?”

At least, that’s my take.

cs89 on October 30, 2009 at 8:54 AM

So Bill and Hill Clinton don’t charge money to speak, or Algore, or Jimmy Carter. ‘Cause all the Democrats speak for free, right. Right?

Oh wait, they do, but their fees are not EVIL somehow.

Lily on October 30, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Two (2) words: Money talks

Two (2) more words: Bullshit walks

Five (5) words: Bloggers change with the wind.

Mcguyver on October 30, 2009 at 11:26 AM