Chris Christie: Man, am I fat

posted at 10:09 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

I couldn’t agree more with Cavuto: This is a brilliant piece of retail politics, turning Corzine’s lame digs at his weight into a high-profile opportunity to charm voters. The tone is exactly right and the jokes are actually funny, and he makes sure to remind viewers of how tiny Corzine’s balls are in refusing to take responsibility for the cheap shots he’s been taking. The new dKos poll has Christie up by a single point, which is too close for comfort but still amazing considering that Moneybags (a) has outspent him three to one, (b) is having his campaign more or less run by the White House, replete with campaign appearances by The One, and (c) enjoys vastly wider name recognition given the fact that he’s an incumbent governor and former senator. He enjoys every possible advantage — yet he’s still at grave risk of losing. If there’s a bigger, less appealing loser than him among the ranks of prominent Democrats (aside from Harry Reid, natch), I’d love to know who it is. McDonnell’s win in Virginia next week is more important than what happens in Jersey, but having Christie pull it out would be very, very sweet.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Chris Christie: Man, am I fat

So THAT’S why he lost his lead … everybody hates fat people … it says so right there at the top of the HotAir homepage!

Tony737 on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Maybe,he needs a gizmo interfaced with his brain,that has a delay system,that after he grasps the thought,and before it
goes to action,there is a moderator on the bridge,to save him,from himself before he speaks!!

canopfor on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I like this guy…and not just because he might be the Obama machine.

AUINSC on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Chris Christie: Man, am I fat

Tony737 on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Tony737: DUH!!!!!hehe:)

canopfor on October 29, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Christie win=Obummer loss.

1921 C DRUM on October 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Well said Allah.

Griz on October 29, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Go Christie, we could use a hat trick.

Hog Wild on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

how tiny Corzine’s balls are

Pistachio small

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Fat guy in a little coat.

The Ugly American on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

It’s amazing what you can do with $22 million…

d1carter on October 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Corzine made a big political tactical boo boo!!

canopfor on October 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Pistachio small

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

ACORN small- sure it’s bigger than a pistachio but the voter fraud theme fits.

Monica on October 29, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Let’s hear it for the fat guy!!!!

jimmy2shoes on October 29, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Pistachio small

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Man, you’re generous. Peppercorn small.

jimmy2shoes on October 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM

I like this guy…and not just because he might be beat the Obama machine.

AUINSC on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

FIFM. Having a hard time typing tonight.

AUINSC on October 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM

His fat humor will probably gain him several points. GO FAT CHRISTIE!

farright on October 29, 2009 at 10:23 PM

how tiny Corzine’s balls are

Pretty small, Obama just teabagged them little dough nuts.

farright on October 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Christie is PHAT. I love a guy with a sense of humor.

txag92 on October 29, 2009 at 10:28 PM

…someone please buy IMUS a Happy Meal….

PhreeMan on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

Fat is Phat…!

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

If The Big Man wins, the RWB family will take our next vacation to NJ to show the kids where the re-birth of American liberty started. Come on New Jersey!

redwhiteblue on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I thought this was funny, but I just watched the original ad that sparked this “fat” talk and I think it’s a major stretch to say that it was meant as a knock on his weight. Careless choice of words sure, and not the friendliest camera shot of Christie, but as for the latter that’s accepted practice in attack ads.

If I wasn’t listening for it I wouldn’t have noticed the “threw his weight around” line and I still don’t see how the shot of him getting out of the car slow motion can be seen as showcasing his weight. Maybe I’m just not cynical enough anymore.

OneGyT on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

If – IF – Christie, McDonell and Hoffman all win, you owe us a humpbot.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Well, where was this Christie throughout the whole campaign???

I live in NJ and never seen this personality before from Christie.

cubachi on October 29, 2009 at 10:32 PM

It’s time to drop The Fat Man on that Little Boy Corzine, if you know what I mean.

BKennedy on October 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Victory song: Weird Al’s “Fat”

… because I’m FAT, I’m FAT you know it…

Mojave Mark on October 29, 2009 at 10:35 PM

well played, well played. Up until now Christie was looking scared of Corzine, which made him look weak and ineffectual. By showing that he can fight back and not take himself too seriously he has made himself likable.

Cavuto may be right – this may have turned the tide.

WWS on October 29, 2009 at 10:37 PM

In only a few weeks on FBN, Imus has already had some really great moments. His retort to Obama’s “grab a mop” needs to find YouTube.

karlant on October 29, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Damn you Allah, you are redeeming yourself.

sybilll on October 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Gubernotorious B.I.G.

red winger on October 29, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Come on over to the Jersey Shore for a lovely vacation and show the kids the re-birth of liberty in America is right-can you believe it would be NJ, my state, that helped to lead the charge back! I live a few blocks away from Lucy the Elephant and we are working hard to Get Out The Vote for Christie!

margategop517 on October 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM

Fat guy in a little coat

Veyr nice. Well played, sir!

JoeinTX on October 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM

wow, and Christie is actually the last painful to listen to of everybody in this clip…now if only he’d do this he’d win in a landslide!

das411 on October 29, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I am glad to see Imus come back. I may not always agree with him but I like him and wish him success.

Dire Straits on October 29, 2009 at 10:56 PM

Friend of mine is working very closely with the Christie campaign in Bergen County and she tells me this is the Chris Christie she knows (and loves).

ctmom on October 29, 2009 at 11:04 PM

That was sharp and funny.
Good job Chris and God I hope you win.

Baxter Greene on October 29, 2009 at 11:06 PM

WEIGHTIST!!!

I ♥ identity politics.

Pablo on October 29, 2009 at 11:09 PM

I hate to break it to you dude, but in this state, that’s a 15-point Democrat win. Outside of Chicago, NJ is the most ACORN-heavy spot in America right now.

logis on October 29, 2009 at 11:13 PM

Perfect editorial, AP.

He bought his Senate seat, then used the opportunity to go for the governorship, all based on his wallet. He sure as heck doesn’t have any personality. Never mind that the screwed everyone, form Goldman Sachs, to the last taxpayer in the land, and in NJ.

May he rest in pieces. New Jesey voters, use your brains, just once. Such a great state, so mismanaged and corrupt. You have the power to throw the bum out. Just do it!

Schadenfreude on October 29, 2009 at 11:15 PM

What I loved was listening to the crew cracking up in the background! Great wit! Hope he can pull it out–we could use a little good news and “hope” nowadays. (I cringe at using that word now…)

lovingmyUSA on October 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Fixed News is such utter bullsh*t. Shepard Smith was absolutely right to call out his own network for such blatant promotion of one candidate.

Norman Blizter on October 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM

each time allahpundit uses that word “natch”, i dream of him whispering “dude” in my ear. js.

Melba Toast on October 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

Who do we love more than people who can laugh at themselves? Think this will do a lot of good.

I was on his side already, just based on news and stuff, but if I lived in NJ, this would make me want to vote FOR him, not just against the other guys.

jodetoad on October 29, 2009 at 11:38 PM

I’m worried about electoral fraud by the Socialists. With the Obama band of criminals involved its the same as Chavez or Zelaya participating in an election.

elduende on October 29, 2009 at 11:44 PM

Big \”Yeah!\” for big fat dudes from Jersey!!

JohnGalt23 on October 29, 2009 at 11:45 PM

Norman Blizter on October 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Don’t you have a bridge to go under?

Dire Straits on October 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

As opposed to the blatant promotion of Obama by CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS….

beachgirlusa on October 29, 2009 at 11:57 PM

How tiny are Corzine’s balls?

Have you ever smelled moth balls?

Yeah.

How did you hold the little feller?

dragondrop on October 30, 2009 at 12:00 AM

We are right to worry about voter fraud. Atlantic City is ten minutes away from me and NRO has this piece of bad news for my bedtime story http://campaignspot.nationalreview.com/post/?q=ZTg3YTE5Yjk1Y2Q2NDZiMjQ2ODc1MjY4YmRiYWUyMjQ

margategop517 on October 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM

christie will have to win by 5 points to win the post-election vote massage, which i think is unlikely

more likely Corzine will win, then Daggett will get a high paying job somewhere in the Corzine Administration (or maybe Goldman Sachs)

r keller on October 30, 2009 at 12:25 AM

Of course he lost his lead. It would probably take a nuke to wipe out three quarters of New Jersey’s population for a Republican to win. A Dem could murder a puppy on live TV and still win. Michael Vick could move to South Jersey run as a Dem against Jesus running on the Republican ticket and still win. This is Jersey. The sky is blue. Don’t ever be fooled by the polls months out, this has happened in the past numerous times.

LevStrauss on October 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Chris Farley lives!

BHO Jonestown on October 30, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Allah, don’t you think it would be an even bigger blow to Obama if Christie wins in a state that’s been clearly blue for a while?

red26 on October 30, 2009 at 12:46 AM

margategop517 on October 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Great, now how am I supposed to go to sleep??? What can be done about this? Will this be another Al Franken moment–with ballots tossed out??? ARGHHHHH!!!!

lovingmyUSA on October 30, 2009 at 12:52 AM

So he’s fat. Jon Corzine looks like a hobo in a business suit. So what? :)

NathanG on October 30, 2009 at 12:57 AM

If Christie is less than 5 points ahead, the Dims will steal it anyway. Sorry but I am not optimistic about this race.

Speedwagon82 on October 30, 2009 at 1:34 AM

I agree with Cavuto. Allowing one’s self to be human and show a little humor goes a long way. Reagan knew that and it endeared him to us. A narcissist could never make themselves to be the butt of their own jokes like that. It completely disarmed Corzine’s angle of attack. Excellent move.

crosspatch on October 30, 2009 at 1:57 AM

Chris Christie.

Gravitas.

Literally.

With a grin.

As Corzine whines and grimaces like an emaciated Bad Santa.

profitsbeard on October 30, 2009 at 2:02 AM

Fat guy in a little coat.

The Ugly American on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Ftw.

nickj116 on October 30, 2009 at 2:21 AM

The only thing that could turn out better than Cristie winning is if Corzine blows all his cash in this.

Someone on Fox News stated he spent 24 Mil, 22 Mil of which is his own, anyone know if this is true? Cause I’d think the guy got a bit more cash than that from donors, I mean he’s from Chicago, he’s gotta have someone pretending to be 190 different people sending him cash.

Rbastid on October 30, 2009 at 2:41 AM

If the election is that close, Corzine wins. After all, ACORN/SEIU will have a smaller voter fraud job to do, and look “Joycey” has so much corruption that the gangs will have people out to intimidate voters.

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 4:33 AM

karlant on October 29, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I’m glad he’s on FOX now, and this was a great spot. Cavuto’s right, too; this is a game changer. Christie seems confident and comfortable in his own skin. Like everyone here, I am cynical about the NJ machine politics, which is a real shame. If Americans can’t have faith that their vote counts, what else is there?

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 5:27 AM

Here’s something that I thought all people knew. Fat guys are usually funny. They have to be, it’s all they have. They’ve heard every fat joke in the world thrown their way. They learn to laugh it off. In grade school, the girls didn’t pay attention to them because they weren’t the “cute guy”, so the fat guy tried for that attention, BY MAKING THEM LAUGH.
The fat guy is usually the class clown.

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 5:42 AM

Global Warming activists hate and attack BEEF.

BEEF makes FAT (and so I heard).

Christie is FAT.

I hate Global Warming activists.

By analogy:

1. I LOVE FAT.

2. I WANT CHRISTIE TO WIN OVER THINY-BALL CORZINE.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 6:07 AM

Question: If you say that a candidate can win a close election because of how he/she handled a physical condition he/she has, isn’t that as shallow as voting for a guy because of his skin color. Whether a guy/lady is fat or skinny, SHOULD have no bearing on whether you’d support him/her as a candidate. I though voting for a candidate was supposed to be based on a candidates views/suggested actions regarding issues.

Jeff from WI on October 30, 2009 at 6:15 AM

Norman Blizter on October 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Gosh. Exactly. Same thing can be said about CNN, MSNBC, PBS, CNBC, CBS, WAPO.

Last time I checked, most Americans do not really believe i Fairness Doctrine. The Fairness will turn out to be a suppression of news and views.

If you miss the uber-blatant promotion for Corzine, go to other Fixed News outfits.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

If it’s that close, I believe voter fraud will win the day for the democrats. Case in point, Minnisota.

loudmouth883 on October 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

loudmouth883 on October 30, 2009 at 6:22 AM

SurveyUSA tilts Dimmicrats.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 6:23 AM

Christi may be heavy, but I bet he wears seatbelts.

If appearance counts in an election…Corzine sure ain’t eye candy.

yoda on October 30, 2009 at 7:27 AM

Voter fraud has already started here with the absentee ballots. Our only hope is that Republican turnout is extra ordinary. I think it will be. New Jerseyans are “fired up” so to say. We see California and that is our future if something doesn’t change now.

ctmom on October 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

You forgot his biggest disadvantage- his record. Corzine really hasn’t done all that good a job as Governor. In normal times, just being a Democrat would be enough to ensure success in NJ but these are not normal times. People want leadership not a man whose natural reaction to any situation is to raise taxes.

As to Christie, joking about his weight is the right way to defuse the nasty personal attacks. It makes Corzine, and by extension the filthy lying coward in the White House, look small. I don’t know a thing about Christie’s positions (I suspect he is another “Republican” like Christie Todd Whitman was a Republican). Nevertheless, I hope he can pull it out on Tuesday. It’s got to be a good thing that the Kos Kids aren’t showing Corzine with a double digit lead.

highhopes on October 30, 2009 at 7:39 AM

So… how was Christie supposed to respond to this attack? Was he supposed to call Corzine for how he looks, namely, one hideously bad combover away from a cueball? The fact that Corzine ran that ad says volumes about who he is under his skin, and the fact that Christie hasn’t responded in kind and even jokes about it says volumes about who he is, too.

I’m not as optimistic as Cavuto, although I do hope that the tide turns by Christie’s throwing his weight around in this way. My reason for concern is that this, after all, is still the People’s Republic of New Jersey. The courts, given interferences in the past, will collude with the Democrats should the race be close (and it will). Still, I’ve got a glimmer of hope that the, er, elephant in the room will win for once. That would be a first for me since I moved here in 2002. Having someone living in Drumthwacket who isn’t hard left would be great for this state. Just as importantly, even a one vote victory here would send a message to Obama that he’s going to get steamrolled in 2010.

One concern: Christie, although by no means a RINO, is left of Republican center. If he wins, then, even if Hoffman wins in NY 23, it will serve as a template for Republican losses in this part of the country in the future. Michael Steele and company will do well to realize that, when Christie wins, people have voted for the man, not the party that probably 75% of people in this state, myself among them, despise right now.

flutejpl on October 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM

ctmom on October 30, 2009 at 7:35 AM

Good luck ctmom. Let’s hope and pray this turns into a domino effect!!!

yoda on October 30, 2009 at 7:52 AM

Corzine isn’t fit to be a road kill collector.

Farfed on October 30, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Huckabee should go and endorse the guy. He used to be a fatty who lost weight in office.

EMD on October 30, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Too bad this exchange was on Fox Business Channel. A good part of NJ will never see it because Cablevision doesn’t carry FBC.

sandspur on October 30, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Christie is so fat….

“How fat is he ??”

…that he shook my hand yesterday at the Jersey shore, and he was in Trenton at the time.

Seriously, who cares if he’s got a endless pit for a stomach, he’s much better for the state than Corslime. I got 7 family members voting for the guy, let’s hope it actually shows up as 8 votes for Christie.

Jerome Horwitz on October 30, 2009 at 8:18 AM

…Jon “Political” WhoreZine is a true hater…as many of his kind are down under the fake surface…pathetic man.

Christie makes the best of the situation….like I’m sure he has throughout his life….but in the end most “Big Guys” are nice and fun lov’in folks….just like this big guy at his wedding….gotta live the Hammer-time dance at 3:58….we need to smile more…

PhreeMan on October 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

PhreeMan on October 30, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Thank you for the Friday morning smile. ( :
You know the old saying…you can fix fat, but you can’t fix stupid. Go Christie and New Jersey….we’re counting on you!!!!

yoda on October 30, 2009 at 8:45 AM

This is what happened on The Office last night.

angryed on October 30, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Pass the Krispy Kremes!

Christie rules. Corzine, the most physically fit and muscular specimen of a man the world has even known, blows.

Good Lt on October 30, 2009 at 9:07 AM

flutejpl on October 30, 2009 at 7:46 AM

There is nothing wrong with being a left of the base Republican, particularly in the Northeast. The litmus test, however, has to be where these Republicans stand on certain key issues among them fiscal responsibility and some of the social issues like gun control or same-sex marriage. This test is the difference between being a liberal Republican and being a RINO like McCain or Snowe.

highhopes on October 30, 2009 at 9:11 AM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Which means Corzine will remain governor. Republicans have to win big in order to avoid the dirty dealings of ACORN.

Sue on October 30, 2009 at 9:30 AM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

Not so fast. A close race means a recount and we all know that recounts always go in favor of the dems. They seem to have a knack at finding uncounted ballots in the trunks of cars and bathroom stalls. A close race means he loses by a ton.

hogleg on October 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM

margategop517 on October 29, 2009 at 10:45 PM

I’m here in Northfield and we are doing the same thing. I hope it works.

NJ Red on October 30, 2009 at 9:34 AM

By the way, SurveyUSA has this race tied 43/43…Christie will win. By a sliver.

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 10:19 PM

He probably will, then the Democrat recount machine will go into gear and steal the election with votes found in the trunk of cars and “miscounted votes” that were already counted. I see the 2008 Minnesota senate and 2006 Washington governor results all over again.

DoS_Conservative on October 30, 2009 at 9:37 AM

OneGyT on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

You don’t know Corzine.

NJ Red on October 30, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Norman Blizter on October 29, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Ahhh…Corzine is following his hero (Obambi) direction and refused to appear on Fox. Should they interview a cardboard cutout to make you happy?

NJ Red on October 30, 2009 at 9:57 AM

B Hussein 0 is going for a third campaign rally and it’s still neck and neck??? Guess the luster is wearing off teh 0ne.

OmahaConservative on October 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM

The new dKos poll has Christie up by a single point,

Which means he’s really leading by six or seven. I will keep saying this till it sinks in. Pollsters are paid. They get paid for delivering results that please their clients.

Don’t take my work for it, go ask them. They can get you any result you want. Is there anyone so naive they don’t already know that?

dogsoldier on October 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

canopfor on October 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM

stop this, person before, they punctuate, again.

DrW on October 30, 2009 at 11:01 AM

. . . I think it’s a major stretch to say that it was meant as a knock on his weight.
. . . Maybe I’m just not cynical enough anymore.

OneGyT on October 29, 2009 at 10:29 PM

You are either not from New Jersey, or have been paying no attention to the race. There have been numerous fat references hurled around by Corzine’s campaign, and by many of his close supporters throughout the fall. It has been pretty obvious that it is a well-coordinated effort.

They took a significant risk that they would be called on it at some point, and now they have been. His is the same PC crowd that invented code word indignation, and the hypocricy of setting it aside whenever they feel the need to take a cheap shot.

For example, even his former girl friend, Carla Katz, the labor union head who was negotiating favorable state worker union contracts over uber-generous “break-up gifts” from Corzine, published her recent column with the title,

Chris Christie’s Diet for New Jersey

by Carla Katz

Trimming the state budget is a little like dieting. The plan might be good but sticking with it is tough . Most of us have had to diet at some point and we start out with great intentions, will power and a pledge to stick to a detailed diet and exercise regimen to shed those damn extra pounds. But then we get hungry. Then we get cranky. We whine, “It’s hard!” And, then we eat the Ho-Ho’s.

As with any diet, reducing the fat in the state budget and shrinking the waistline on the people’s ‘taxes belt’ that’s making it hard to breathe, is far easier said than done.

. . . Christie has spent the last six months loudly criticizing Governor Corzine, and blaming Democrats, for not cutting the state’s flab without presenting any solution of his own. We know from own dieting experiences that ‘no plan’ means no results.”

There is no pretense involved. They are openly attacking Christie with personal insults.

Jon Corzine has to do it in order to survive. He still has close to 60% negatives in this state.

The only times recently in which he has shown a mini-bump in the polls, is when the surveys are taken during Obama or Biden visits (e.g., the latest Quinnpiac), and the bump then disappears almost immediately.

Trochilus on October 30, 2009 at 11:54 AM

It’s going to come down to whether conservatives are motivated to get the polls and get other conservatives there in NY 23 and NJ. That’s my take. I’m guessing they will turn out based upon the substantial bump up in activism in the past year and the ongoing enraging activities of the Obamacrats.

DaMav on October 30, 2009 at 12:06 PM