Change: NRCC head says Hoffman would be welcome in GOP House caucus; Update: Debate video added

posted at 7:05 pm on October 29, 2009 by Allahpundit

This isn’t really a change — they never threatened to exclude him, after all — but when you’ve got the guy who’s been bankrolling Scozzafava now uttering warm, inclusive words about Hoffman, it’s safe to say the GOP has about given up on its nominee.

The House Republican leadership is prepared to welcome Doug Hoffman into its ranks, National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Pete Sessions (R-Texas) said Thursday, a sign that the GOP establishment is recalibrating its approach toward the contentious New York special election and the Conservative Party nominee whose candidacy has divided the party.

“He would be very welcome, with open arms,” Sessions told POLITICO in an interview off the House floor…

On Thursday afternoon, Sessions appeared to tacitly acknowledge that Hoffman may represent the GOP’s best chance to keep the Republican-held seat from being picked up by a Democrat.

“I think it’s pretty clear that a person who would vote for John Boehner, support tax cuts, support growing our economy, and defeat Nancy Pelosi’s tax and spend agenda will be really welcome in our conference, and I think having a person who can win that district off that message would be really good for the Republican Party,” Sessions said.

This brings us back to the question of why they’re still propping up Scozzafava instead of asking her to drop out. Larry Sabato has some thoughts about that tonight. They may sound … familiar.

As I write this, the three-way debate that was taped earlier this afternoon is airing in upstate New York. WSYR already has their answers to some of the hot-button questions. Here’s video of Hoffman after it ended.

Update: ABC’s got 90 seconds from an exchange between Owens and Hoffman on taxes.

debate

Comments

‘A day late and a dollar short.’
or
‘Better late than never.’

I’m not really sure at this point.

Troika37 on October 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

As Hoffman was saying Ronald Reagan ideals…. why did it pop in my head as he said that “I did not leave the Republican Party, the Republican party left me.”

weird.

upinak on October 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

NRSC seems to be waking up from a sleep

hawkman on October 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM

opps. NRCC

hawkman on October 29, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Change: NRCC head says Hoffman would be welcome in GOP House caucus

They are scared witless.

Johan Klaus on October 29, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Recommendation to all GOP candidates in the future: Demonstrate that you are a “Ronald Reagan” conservative rather than saying you’re a “Ronald Reagan” conservative. If you have the same ideals, the same views, and your policy ideas reflect that, and you defend those policies when challenged on those very principles, then you won’t have to say it. We will know it.

Weight of Glory on October 29, 2009 at 7:13 PM

lol sounds like the NRCC wants to have its cake and eat it too!

Hellrider on October 29, 2009 at 7:14 PM

I hope there aren’t a lot of valuable vases and stuff in Dede’s house.

jjshaka on October 29, 2009 at 7:16 PM

The NRCC should ask Scuzzy to drop out.

farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

At least the National Republican Congressional Committee didn’t wait until after the election…

Seven Percent Solution on October 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Now they just need to make it official. Cut a deal with Hoffman ahead of time where, upon winning, he immediately comes back under the (R) tent and doesn’t do anything to encourage third party runs next year.

Win-win.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

During the debate, did Scozzafava call the police on the moderator when she didn’t like a question?

jaime on October 29, 2009 at 7:19 PM

DUH !!!

jerrytbg on October 29, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Scuzzy MUST DROP OUT.

John the Libertarian on October 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

That’s logical and practical. They’ll never go for it.

ElectricPhase on October 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM

The NRCC should ask Scuzzy to drop out.

farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I can see the beads of sweat on the brows of rino’s…

jerrytbg on October 29, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Conservative candidate Doug Hoffman said, “I’m in this race because it’s principle over party. I’m in this race because I’m giving the voters of the 23rd district an option between two liberal candidates, and a conservative Ronald Reagan Republican — a common sense Conservative. And basically, if I wasn’t in this race, voters wouldn’t have much of a choice.”

sounds familiar from somewhere..

Phoenician on October 29, 2009 at 7:24 PM

…I think Hoffman is too too conservative for the likes of Sessions….the NRCC needs to follow Hoffman back into the light of righteousness…

PhreeMan on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

HOFFMAN FOR PRESIDENT……well….not Sarah for President….but man no one else will talk like that about taxes

alexraye on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

*no Sarah for President

alexraye on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

The choice is pretty clear, a true to the core republican conservative or a rotten to the core republican democrat.

fourdeucer on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Go Doug!

ted c on October 29, 2009 at 7:26 PM

Yeah, there’s Dede reaching for her phone to call the police on the moderator! I wish that video had been a little longer, we could have watched her call 911.

jaime on October 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Scuzzafava, please step down. The Republican party is a big tent, and there is room for you. In the little tent. Selling cotton candy, or elephant ears, but not in the main tent where the conservatives are.

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Scuzzy can join Huck in the fried squirrel tent.

farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

There is no down side to Hoffman, and I’m seriously confused on the Rncc seemingly not seeing that she has to go. Newt will get over it, hell he will just write another book.

jainphx on October 29, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Dede. Done done. Buh bye. Don’t cry.

Doorgunner on October 29, 2009 at 7:33 PM

These people at the RNC are idiots. Limited government, people. That’s what people care about. Conservatives, libertarians and independents alike. You don’t go and support a big government liberal and slap the R tag on her and expect people to support you. How stupid do you think people are?

Boortz for RNC chair! Ha.

therightwinger on October 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Surprise-Owens uses the “Blame Bush” meme. Hoffman responds well and put Owens on the defensive.

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Someone needs to tell the Democratic debate coaches that it’s a real turn off for their dude to hurl scandalous charges at their opponent and then not look him in the eye when he responds to those charges.

HondaV65 on October 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Bye Dede, don’t let the door hit you in the….

farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

They need to elect this guy for size of his courage to go on TV and take on these two professional politicians! He’s nervous, he’s probably getting some basic “talk to the press” coaching. Good for him! I dont think that he will be “influenced” by his donors. He doesnt have an “agenda”. He wants to help press on the brakes in DC!

GO DOUG! My new Hero!

OSUBuciz1 on October 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM

HondaV65 on October 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I thought that was odd myself. At one point I half expected Hoffman to say, “Hey, look at me when I’m talking to you!”

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

And can someone explain why I was reading this morning (don’t remember where) that Hoffman was ducking the debate? He didn’t seem to be ducking anything. Was that a misprint or what?

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Thread here last night that Hoffman refused a radio debate with the two socialists.

farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:40 PM

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

I guess they wanted him to do a debate on NPR radio last night but said no. The moderator was Owens’s wife if I am not mistaken.

I like Doug. He’s refreshing and not at all rehearsed. I hope to see more of Doug’s running in 2010. Go Doug!!

Brat4life on October 29, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Hoffman is the underdog who has turned into a conservative sensation.

I love this guy. I hope NY-23 votes for him.
We need more Palins, Hoffmans, Wilsons, and Bachmanns in Washington.

cubachi on October 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

WOO-HOO! A shout out to WSYR, HOMETOWN NEWS!

ThePrez on October 29, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Where is Dede’s pink outfit?

DrStock on October 29, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Hoffman resembles Jimmy Stewart (okay, not quite as handsome or charismatic) in “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.” We need more of these types of people in government.

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

The NRCC should ask Scuzzy to drop out.
farright on October 29, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Earlier, they said they didn’t want to do something that would help the Democrat candidate win.

I suppose we’ll have a chance to see whether they meant that.

logis on October 29, 2009 at 7:46 PM

But,but,but Newt said….

d1carter on October 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Win or lose, Hoffman’s campaign is a win for the conservative movement. It shows that a motivated, mobilized effort can make a difference.

His message is laser focused too. Smaller government, lower taxes, less spending, individual self reliance — add strong national defense and you have Sarah P’s platform.

It’s a great temptation to treat the movement as a Xmas tree. Hang all kinds of lovely adornments on it such as no abortions, prayer in school, hunting down and expelling 12 million illegal aliens this year, shipping all Muslims to Antarctica, frying all convicted murderers within 7 days of sentencing, term limits — commenters here have advocated similar decorations for months. These are wants, not needs. Insisting these things HAVE to be planks can drive more people away than attract new voters to the cause. Heck, just advocating individual self reliance loses, what, 20-30% of the population?

D,R, Libertarian, Ron Paulian — all Tea Party attendees. Look for the least common denominator that can unite them.

GnuBreed on October 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

We got a whole bunch of those out of the Contract With America campaign.

Unfortunately, I believe that was literally the LAST thing that Newt Gingrich wanted to happen. And he’s been trying to make amends ever since.

logis on October 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

portlandon on October 29, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Go back to screwing over the locals. We really don’t need another you in the national arena.

Card Check!?!?!? Tell your husband to get a job.

BigWyo on October 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Ron Paul is a Lifetime Member of the Libertarian Party. When asked he says straight out he’s proud of his LP membership.

A Conservative-Republican wouldn’t be any different.

ericdondero on October 29, 2009 at 7:52 PM

When the nrcc called to request money, I told them until they supported someone like Hoffman, they can kiss my money good by. Do you think enough people said the same thing that they got worried about it?

Bambi on October 29, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Was Scozzafava even awake during the first exchange?

SouthernGent on October 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Others here that have followed this closely (see last night’s thread), said that Hoffman asked her for 3-5 debates back in August. She declined. This televised debate has been scheduled and Hoffman agreed to it.

Last night’s debate was on radio and Hoffman did not participate. As an aside, the radio manager of that station is married to Owens, something not reported. That seems to be a conflict of interest and does not portend to a fair debate.

Hoffman not participating in last night’s radio debate allows those against him to write the sort of misleading headline in which he appears “to duck out” of the debate.
Not the full story.

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

The reporter for Channel 9 news might as well be Rachel Maddow or Katie Couric…..talk about typical liberal biased questions……..yuk

Rovin on October 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

PhreeMan on October 29, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Sorry, you’re wrong about Pete Sessions. I’ve personally known him for more than 20 years, and he’s as conservative as me, if not more.

As the chair of the NRCC, he has to play a role. But he can also get his supporters to do a lot of things on the side… the right side, and he knows how to do it.

He knows whom he’d rather have and what the country would be better off for in this race.

Before you write him off, understand that he was the last choice for the job he’s got from the tea and Brie crowd in the party.

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

We got a whole bunch of those out of the Contract With America campaign.

logis on October 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I did not follow politics in the ’90s. Who were some of those people? Are they still in politics?

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Chris Christie Republican Candidate for Governor of New Jerseys, tells Imus “I’m Going To Be A Big Fat Winner”

Dr Evil on October 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

That was my exact thought when I first heard Hoffman speak.

iceman1960 on October 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

OK…So my thinking along these lines wasn’t as corny as I thought… unrehearsed, a real breath of fresh air…powerful…

jerrytbg on October 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Not the full story.

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Allah called him … “Lame”.

He doesn’t sound lame.

HondaV65 on October 29, 2009 at 8:02 PM

If the RNC and NRCC is willing to help push Doug across the finish line, I’ll give him props if he wins.

If he loses, it’s on them for not doing this much, much earlier.

Red Cloud on October 29, 2009 at 8:03 PM

EXACTLY.

If you’re a Reagan Conservative and can prove it,

YOU’RE IN!

marklmail on October 29, 2009 at 8:06 PM

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Brat4life on October 29, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Thanks for that. I’m following lots of stories, read something, file it in “That’s interesting” and move on… until “that’s interesting” turns into the complete opposite of what I read. That seems to happen a lot these days. :)

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I don’t care how much they backpedal on this, I already sent an email to the RNC telling them they don’t get squat from me until they start supporting conservative candidates and stop supporting liberals.

Joe Pyne on October 29, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Even if scuzzy dropped out, would they even have time to remove her name from the ballot?

lukespapa on October 29, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I can’t wait to get my next fund raising request from the NRCC. You can be sure I’m sending back a nice little note back in their prepaid envelope:

Dear Republican Party,

You support conservative candidates like Hoffman, and I’ll support you. Until then, good luck.

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 8:15 PM

conservative pilgrim on October 29, 2009 at 7:44 PM

jerrytbg on October 29, 2009 at 8:01 PM

I like the idea of Hoffman the conservative sticking it to the left or RINO Republican, but let’s face it, he’s no Jimmy Stewart and the one word I think of when watching him is noodley

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I’ll take ‘noodley’ over slick and polished like the jerk in the Whine House anyday.

Monica on October 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I just have to mention that despite living across the lake, in another state, we share radio/tv stations and we are being BOMBARDED by TV and radio ads for and against all 3 candidates. Not sure I’ve ever seen anything like it.

RightWinged on October 29, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Monica on October 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM

agreed!

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Man says what I like to hear. Good use of my $25. Go Doug, you’re a standard bearer like it or not. Hope the 23rd displays some good sense.

masterofelke on October 29, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Good to hear this – I worked on a campaign for Sessions once, and it’s nice to see him pull his head out and go back to his roots.

WWS on October 29, 2009 at 8:49 PM

Monica on October 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM
agreed!

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Absolutely!

heshtesh on October 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

Ask for REFUNDS when you call the RNC and all of its brothers…You would be surprised how that gets their attention.

Same with our Senators and Representatives…..Ask for refunds…..they are not fulfilling their campaign promises.

nondhimmie on October 29, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Owens: Bush blamer.
Hoffman: Genuine.
Scozzafava: Tension anyone?
Just my humble interpretation, but I would love to hear the body language expert’s take on this exchange.

redwhiteblue on October 29, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Ask for refund…You would be surprised at the attention that receives.
Start asking your RINO congress critters for REFUNDS….They took money under false premises…..It is fun……

nondhimmie on October 29, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Monica on October 29, 2009 at 8:20 PM
agreed!

Jeff from WI on October 29, 2009 at 8:30 PM

Absolutely!

heshtesh on October 29, 2009 at 8:55 PM

The ayes have it and the motion passes…
See…I can do that job…I think I’ll move to Calif…nah !

jerrytbg on October 29, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I still ain’t sendin’ you any money.

davidk on October 29, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Dede whines about outside the district money…Film at 11

Jeff2161 on October 29, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Moderator asks if outside the district money means special interests control candidates, film at 11…
Personally, I donated to Hoffman and don’t plan on asking for any Arizona earmarks.

Jeff2161 on October 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

But,but,but Newt said….

d1carter on October 29, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Who??????

bill30097 on October 29, 2009 at 9:21 PM

I take it this will be the new GOP reverse-psychology strategy: nominate the squishy RINO to vacuum up independents, and let the “real” candidate run a mavericky third party platform of actual conservatism. The GOP keeps Meghan McCain, and therefore AP, happy, and gets through the candidates we all really want as well!

Michael Steele outsmarts Karl Rove?

TexasDan on October 29, 2009 at 9:49 PM

The official Republican candidate should step aside for the good of the Party. Hoffman probably has a decent shot at actually winning the race. If nothing else, his star will continue to rise, and the goodwill afforded to him from around the country will carry him into 2010.

itzWicks on October 29, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Big win for Conservatism, and frankly, a big win for Sarah Palin. Anyone think this would have happened had she not jumped in with both feet?

Once she made it the hip thing to do, all of the kool kids were doing it.

Mainly though, if Doug pulls this out, it’s a big win for America, as Conservatives will come out of the woodwork in 2010 to run if there isn’t one out there. Should be a killer primary season.

gary4205 on October 29, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Win-win.

BadgerHawk on October 29, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Hoffman was on Hugh Hewitt’s radio show yesterday (or the day before) and said he would be a Republican and run as one in the next election.

KittyLowrey on October 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Report from Watertown, NY on District 23 race:

Doug Hoffman now has the momentum. He has pulled even with the Dem Owens and is clearly 10+ points ahead of the radical GOP Scozzafava in the newest DailyKOS poll and in one other poll.

A couple of Fox people were outside the office and they had trouble finding people who were not for Doug. And no, Ainsley Earhart was not one of them, I would have noticed. :)

GOP voters are gradually coming around to the truth about Scozza’s voting record and many are expressing disgust.

I saw on TV tonight from the Best Western in Canton an incredible TV add for Scozzafava that presented her as the ‘progressive’ candidate. I kid you not. I thought I was in the twilight zone.

We even bumped into a guy who admitted that he was working for Dede’s campaign and that the people there knew it was a sinking ship.

The Dems and Scozza’s gang are now running adds that only attack Doug as he is the real front-runner now.

I posted on Sarah’s Facebook to tell people to call Dede’s campaign to try to convince her to back out of the race and back Doug, but I doubt she will.

By EOD Tuesday, assuming the passion holds and the momentum continues, I think we can win this one.

Say a prayer.

By the way, I met Doug and shook his hand. Good man. Some of the people here thanked me for helping out. Good salt-of-the-earth people.

And don’t forget to contact your Congressmen and tell them to vote against the current healthcare bill.

I’ll try to post again over the weekend.

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Dr Evil on October 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Wow, thanks for that heads up! That was an excellent exchange between Imus and Christie! He definitely has a quick wit, and a great sense of humor–he had the whole room laughing–it was as funny listening to the crew cracking up as it was to listen to Christie!
Thanks.

lovingmyUSA on October 29, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

I’ve been thinking about you, wondering if you made it! I see you have–this is great–you are right there helping to make history. Thank you for those of us who can’t be there, and i hope you have a safe and victorious trip home. Either way, comes what may–you did you bit, you were part of the troops on the ground, and I arm a little envious–how exciting to b in the midst of this campaign. I am definitely proud that one of our own here at HA is up there!
Thanks for posting!

lovingmyUSA on October 29, 2009 at 11:10 PM

*Sigh–obviously I didn’t preview…

lovingmyUSA on October 29, 2009 at 11:12 PM

All of this money and resources spent on NY-23? I mean, IF Hoffman wins, will everyone burst in celebration? For NY-23? Sounds like there is a loss of priority. The NJ election for Gov is so much bigger, both in importance and its message. Purity over priority. Whatever.

DanStark on October 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

Sapwolf, that is great. Good on you for doing this.

gary4205 on October 30, 2009 at 1:13 AM

‘A day late and a dollar short.’
or
‘Better late than never.’

I’m not really sure at this point.

Troika37 on October 29, 2009 at 7:08 PM

It’s neither until they dump Dede.

Chaz706 on October 30, 2009 at 1:15 AM

DanStark on October 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Is there a point somewhere in here? Plenty of support has been given to Christie but Hoffman represents a grassroots effort against the enemy within and Liberalism will never die as long as they have hold of both parties. This race is just as important as the NJ race.

Your snarky comment about purity over priority might actually have some relevance if these same grassroots were supporting Daggett over Christie but that is not the case.

Daemonocracy on October 30, 2009 at 2:52 AM

UnderstandingisPower on October 29, 2009 at 7:36 PM

It’s stupid debatecoaching and underscores Owens’ desperation. Hoffman might pull this off. This endorsement is big.

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 5:56 AM

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

God bless you, Sapwolf. As someone else pointed out, good on you for being there for history in the making. I’m jealous, too! Especially since you traveled a greater distance to be there. I’m only an hour or so from NY23, but I’ve been working overtime lately. But GO HOFFMAN!

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM

Out of general curiosity, is there not a run-off in this race if nobody garners the 50%+1 vote? Can it be decided by a plurality? If there is a run-off, then it’s no big deal if the Conservative and the Liberal Democrat have to face each other in the run-off because the Conservative should win. If, however, there is no run-off, then the RNC could lose this district for the Conservative.

Theophile on October 30, 2009 at 6:29 AM

I am rooting for a new Conservative Caucus, separate from the Republican Caucus in both houses.

Conservative Caucus can take the role of double-checkers of the Republican Caucus’ ideas.

The Stimulus Package of 2008 is a RESOUNDING WAKE UP CALL that you can nolonger rely on a Republican President, Senators, and Congressmen when it comes to fiscal responsibility and other aspects of good governance in Federal government.

To be more exact, Libertarian-Conservative Caucus is a way to go.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Hoffman doesn’t need WELCOME yet, NRCC.

Hoffman NEEDS YOU, NRCC,TO DROP SCOZZAFAVA.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 7:22 AM

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:49 PM

alliebobbitt on October 30, 2009 at 6:01 AM

ME TOO. I’M JEALOUS OF MY FELLOW CONSERVATIVES WHO DO MORE THINGS THAN JUST DONATING!!!!!

I HAVE BECOME MORE PROUD AS A CONSERVATIVE.

… I think I give Obama the credit. He’s the wake up call in my case. Oops …. GLEN BECK IS RIGHT.

TheAlamos on October 30, 2009 at 7:24 AM

I almost threw up when that skank started whining. She so epitomizes the face of the republican (my former) party. Hoffman sounds like the type of person who might become the face of the conservative movement.

Go Hoffman!

Dukehoopsfan on October 30, 2009 at 10:30 AM

DanStark on October 30, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Yeah, maybe we could find a handful of people to match the $20 Million Corzine is pouring into this campaign….

(I really don’t think Christie is underfunded, he’ll get the message out. If he has a chance to win, let him win, but he’s not going to be able to match Corzine’s fortune).

cs89 on October 30, 2009 at 11:10 AM

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I’ve personally known Pete for 15 years…he’s a died-in-the-wool Conservative with a Capital C.

Something tells me he trusted his aides at the NRCC on this one, and is now realizing his mistake in doing so.

I’m not sure if Guy (who’s worked for him for almost 20 years) was one of the advisors for this one (doubt it), but I don’t know, as it’s been 10 years since I worked in Pete’s office (back when he was a Freshman Congressman). I don’t see Guy as doing this, but more someone not as familiar with Pete’s viewpoints.

I just don’t see Pete making this decision this way, and I know that when he knows you & tells you he trusts you, he trusts you…but if you screw up (like this one), you’re might as well quit. He doesn’t ask you believe what he believes, but that you advise based on knowing what he believes, as it’s his butt on the line.

He is the only politician I’ve ever worked for, and that was intential, thankyouverymuch. He offered to give up his congressional salary if the Contract with America didn’t get fully implemented. He’s a great guy, and I miss seeing him as regularly as I used to.

On a personal note, he also had a son with Downs Syndrome (to those of you who don’t know him), and he is an incredible advocate for this issue, just like Sarah’s been since her son was born. I think his son must be almost 15 now??? I think he was 5 when I worked for him 10 years ago.

Miss_Anthrope on October 30, 2009 at 1:54 PM