Video: Is Obama selling access to White House officials to big donors?

posted at 7:35 pm on October 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

A belated link to the Wash Times’s expose this morning of influence peddling by Obama and the DNC. It’s a worthy read, but the problem with stories like this is that neither side has much reason to get upset. Both parties have been guilty of similar shenanigans in the past (although that didn’t stop the RNC from issuing the obligatory indignant statement this afternoon), and as for the present, conservatives long ago came to realize that the Lamb of God is basically a Chicago machine politician with the same circle of cronies that any big-time operator attracts. Why, entire books have been written on the subject. In fact, the salience of the Times piece is best captured by an exchange the boss had when she appeared on “The View.” Behar challenged her by noting that all politicians are corrupt to some degree and that Obama is, after all, just a politician. To which MM replied, essentially: Exactly. So much for Hopenchange. Try to act surprised that a guy who’s already notorious for running a “perpetual campaign” would be selling briefings with his advisors to liberals flush with cash.

But there’s another point worth noting. Go back and re-read Patterico’s post from just before the election, presciently titled, “The price of a money machine: Obama would owe more favors than any president in history.” The point of that piece was that the media hype over how much money Obama received from small donors was basically a myth: He did rake in more cash in small contributions than previous candidates thanks to the availability of the Internet, but proportionally Bush took in even more than he did. Which is to say, The One depended primarily on the kindness of very, very rich strangers for his massive haul last year and now those strangers turned “friends” want something in return. This Times piece was, thus, literally a year in the making. And as he gears up for a reelection campaign that’s likely going to depend even more on limousine liberals next time, it’s only going to get worse.

Fun fact in closing: We got a tip today that this isn’t the last you’ll be hearing of this story. Stay tuned.

Comments

A Chicago politician and pay to play?

Color me shocked!

jukin on October 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Yes, he is

Who’s surprised? ( Who’s outraged? )

Janos Hunyadi on October 28, 2009 at 7:37 PM

ah..ah..uh..uhm…uh..ahh

becki51758 on October 28, 2009 at 7:38 PM

Chip better watch his back.

becki51758 on October 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Is Obama selling access…

Does a bear…

IntheNet on October 28, 2009 at 7:40 PM

A lot of that big money came from overseas. Do we know if the friends and donors visiting the WH have American passports?

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

I am shocked, shocked I say…..

t on October 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Was the WH correspondent a MSM person? If so, this is a sea change.

clorensen on October 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

I am shocked, shocked I say…..

t on October 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Dern it. I was just gonna reference Casablanca.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I bet Soros has a room all to himself in the White House.

cubachi on October 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

But..but…Ogabe said things would be different under his watch.

Bishop on October 28, 2009 at 7:47 PM

CBs reporter asking a question and then with a follow up ? Egads, they sound like FOX news…:)

socal4patrick on October 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Is Has Obama selling access to sold the White House officials to big donors?

Closer to reality

phreshone on October 28, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, most interesting…

KittyLowrey on October 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Was the WH correspondent a MSM person? If so, this is a sea change.

clorensen on October 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Chip Reid with CBS.

KittyLowrey on October 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Yeah, sure….kinda like we got the names of the people on Scare Force One when it flew over New York. Joe Wilson, where are you?

yoda on October 28, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Chuck Todd in the background looked like he was troubled by Chip’s persistence.

d1carter on October 28, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I would like to know the percentage the small donations that came from overseas and from illegal aliens.

farright on October 28, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Oh boy! Way to keep a captive audience, AP! Dare I even say it? It reminds me so much of…..Glenn Beck?!?!

stldave on October 28, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Who’s ordering egg rolls in the Lincoln bedroom?

SouthernGent on October 28, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Scenes from the Lincoln bedroom ala Clinton.

chewmeister on October 28, 2009 at 7:57 PM

OK, it’s time to go back and re-read a few of those Vince Flynn political thrillers from about 10 years ago….

Intrepid on October 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM

What does the Chicago Machine do to the donor who promises 30 K or to bundle 300k and who comes up short?

Better buy dredging equip for the Potomac.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

If Any GOPer ever did it– then it is ok.

Signed,

CRR

/sarc

CWforFreedom on October 28, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I bet Soros has a room all to himself in the White House.

cubachi on October 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

He does – it’s called the Oval Office.

melchitt on October 28, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Well, let’s never forget Markie Post jumping on the bed in the Lincoln Bedroom at the White House.

Liberals have no respect for history or anything sacred. Shame on Obama.

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Chip was hitting on a nerve there with that line of questioning. Does anyone else smell smoke?

ted c on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

What? Did he run out of Ambassadorships already?

Hellrider on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Good for Chip on his tenacity with the questions. He was not about to let Gibbs blow off the issue.

onlineanalyst on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Can we just see Obama’s passport? You know, the one he traveled to Pok-e-stahn on… you know, back in the…. Uh.. The 90′s? I’s sure that might be very interesting to see, no?

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

No big deal. The Wash. Times can play this up big, but the WaPoo, NYT and the rest will give Osama Obama a pass once again. Indignation when Bubba and Shrillery did this was short-lived, and this will be too.

Besides, it’s a distraction from the countless illegal, unethical, destructive and just plain anti-American activities of the Chicago Jesus and his traitorous gang.

MrScribbler on October 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Coming soon: “This notion that somehow I am using my office to pay back political friends….”

I’m tired of “notions”. When can I vote again?

jamie gumm on October 28, 2009 at 8:09 PM

STATEMENTS LIKE THIS ARE WHY ALLAHPUNDIT PISSES OFF SO MANY FOLKS:

… but the problem with stories like this is that neither side has much reason to get upset. Both parties have been guilty of similar shenanigans in the past …

THIS DOWNPLAYS OBAMA’S HYPCORISY AND UNNECESSARILY REDUCES THE POTENTIAL IMPACT A STORY LIKE THIS COULD HAVE.

WHY DOES ALLAHPNDIT DO THIS?

TO SET HIMSELF ABOVE PARTISANSHIP?

I THINK SO.

SIGH.

IF WE REALLY WANT THE USA TO THRIVE WE NEED TO DETHRONE OBAMA AND HUS LEFTIST AGENDA, AND THAT MEANS WE NEED TO ATTACK OBAMA FROM EVERY ANGLE AND ON EVERY FRONT AND DIMINISH THE DEPTH AND BREADTH OF SUPPORT ANYWAY WE CAN.

AP’S SNIDENESS HURTS THIS EFFORT.

reliapundit on October 28, 2009 at 8:10 PM

“Chip…uhhh…I’d…uhhh…Chip, uhhh, I’d ahhh…uhhh, Chip…Chip….uhhhh…”

Dopenstrange on October 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

You gotta stop with that “Birther” stuff! After all, “good” conservatives know better than to join the right-wing nutjobs who care that the Traitor-in-Chief may not be constitutionally eligible for the Presidency.

After all, just because you have to show a genuine long-form birth certificate many times in your life doesn’t mean he does!

MrScribbler on October 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Is Obama selling access to White House officials to big donors?

As long as he doesn’t start selling off entire states. By the way how many are left?

fourdeucer on October 28, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Can we just see Obama’s passport? You know, the one he traveled to Pok-e-stahn on… you know, back in the…. Uh.. The 90’s? I’s sure that might be very interesting to see, no?

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I wonder if he carries it on his person when he travels overseas? Would you trust an aide with it if it reveals what we think it reveals? Ah, what I would give for a well placed pickpocket.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM

He’s not selling anything. He is rewarding members of the politbureau.

Oh, and Allah sucks. I try not to click on his threads and made a mistake. He’s just another Johnson.

Haunches on October 28, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Oh- I don’t have the money, for me to invest in gold it would have to be flakes.

But maybe a kidney if my caffeine habit hasn’t damaged them.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I just love those “both sides do it.” It’s like the dems commit murder all the time, but because a Repub hit somebody it’s all equivalent. Let’s all remember who the big law breakers are in Politics. They are Dems. And Obie is the biggest one of all with his unlisted credit card donations.

TimothyJ on October 28, 2009 at 8:22 PM

God Lord. Do you even have to ask? Is Obama selling influence???? Is a ducks butt watertight?

MikeA on October 28, 2009 at 8:23 PM

MrScribbler on October 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

With all due respect, I am not a “birther”. My curiosity is piqued over the fact that this man traveled to Pakistan in the 1990′s using a passport that he refuses to release for examination.

As a side note, watch what you say/post here. We have a little Trout who trolls for comments such as yours and then they are proudly displayed on a failblog along with your posting name, date and time of your posting.

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

“We will release all the names of persons who visited the White House, who they met with, and how long they were here…”

Yeah……… right!

Seven Percent Solution on October 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM

How about selling missle tech to the chicoms…
Is this really barry’s signature?
From
UrbanSurvival… OMG…Not good…

jerrytbg on October 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Does Barrys mother-in-law have to vacate the Lincoln bedroom when big donors sleep over?

BHO Jonestown on October 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM

AP, you musta just bought stock in popcorn!

This calls for a song, we’re going back a few years on this one!

ted c on October 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

How about selling missle tech to the chicoms…
Is this really barry’s signature?
From UrbanSurvival… OMG…Not good…

jerrytbg on October 28, 2009 at 8:36 PM

When I saw the story about the Commerce Secretary taking over approving tech sales to China a few days ago I sent it to the hotair tips address and thought I would see the story within an hour since I know how much MM has reported on Locke. But nothing came of it.

Am now patiently waiting for the story on Obama’s signature on the Defense Appropriation/Hate Crimes Bill that went through today (not December, as someone thought it might take til then). I am worried that since it has been hours since it went up on Fox and nothing is on HA that the Chill from the Hate Crimes portion has already started….

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:30 PM

My apologies for omitting the “/s” tag!

I’ve been called a “birther” for merely wanting the issue of Osama Obama’s place of nativity laid to rest by the production of proof. Don’t know where he was born, and care only because if he doesn’t fall under the requirements set forth by the Constitution he should be removed from office immediately.

He should be removed anyway, but this one stands alone as a problem with a “yes” or “no” answer.

As for trolling Trouts: let Chuckie’s handful of readers make what they will of anyone’s comments here. No matter what Johnson posts, they’ll rack up those little green “up” numbers for him.

MrScribbler on October 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM

the seat is f-ing golden. I would not give it away for f-ing nothing.

nyx on October 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM

So when do the White House attacks on The Washington Times start?

rockmom on October 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Perhaps the POTUS will be showing up at the birthday parties of donors’ children dressed as O’bozo the Clown. That should help pay off the $300k bundle nicely. “Daddy loves you so much he bought the President of the United States for your party!”

ray on October 28, 2009 at 9:09 PM

CHENEY BROADCASTING SYSTEM BUSHITLER FAUX NEWS!!!

nottakingsides on October 28, 2009 at 9:18 PM

Chip was funny. I was waiting for “Yeah, yeah, Bob…you and Obaaama say lots of things that aren’t true. Where’s the list?”

Jaibones on October 28, 2009 at 9:23 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Just for S&G’s…Where’d you see this first?

jerrytbg on October 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

The Wasington Times was already excused from the campaign plane.

I think his birth certificate just has something on it that they don’t want us to see–name or religion. There has to be a reason we 1. Can’t see the long birth certificate, 2. Can’t see the passport, 3. Can’t see the grades, 4. Can’t see the thesis, 5. Can’t see the medical records.

Haunches on October 28, 2009 at 9:29 PM

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE RELEASED?

GarandFan on October 28, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I am shocked, shocked I say…..

t on October 28, 2009 at 7:42 PM

“Your winnings Sir.”

Dern it. I was just gonna reference Casablanca.

John the Libertarian on October 28, 2009 at 7:44 PM

There,I still got to use the reference.

cobrakai99 on October 28, 2009 at 10:16 PM

So… how much for the Lincoln bedroom. I hear it has a nice ceiling.
/sarc

Blacksmith8 on October 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

Key West Reader on October 28, 2009 at 8:04 PM

I am truly sorry, but you must be mistaken. At the time of Akbar’s visit to see some family, the country formerly known as Pakistan was interdicted for U.S. citizens travelling on U.S. passports. So you see Barry Soetoro couldn’t possibly have travelled on a U.S. passport to a country that was interdicted by the U.S. State Department.

Blacksmith8 on October 28, 2009 at 10:25 PM

jerrytbg on October 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Think it was CrossActionNews- they actually carry alot of news that doesn’t make it to other sites. I don’t remember where they picked it up from.

My usual sites during the day
HA
Drudge
Fox
CrossActions
CNSNEWS
WND
Newsmax
AmericanThinker
Spectator
HumanEvents
National Review
And then I might wander off on some of the blogs listed on the sides. I really didn’t know that conservatives had a presence on the net until shortly before the election. Up until then I had relied on CNN. When CNN kept running embarassing stories on McCain and Obama’s stories dissappeared off the page I got disgusted and finally plugged in conservative websites into the search engine.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 10:33 PM

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 10:46 PM

WT just promoted to short list from long…thanks…

jerrytbg on October 28, 2009 at 11:04 PM

welcome.

journeyintothewhirlwind on October 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM

No one would pay for a Barney Frank briefing….but a debriefing, now that is another story.

GnuBreed on October 28, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I guess one big difference is who is being owed the favors?

Bush might have leaned towards Oil Giants and Haliburton but Obama is going to be owing favors to mideast terrorist who bundled cash for him.

Rbastid on October 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Is it possible that the MSM has had enough Koolaid? I do believe in miracles! I do.

redwhiteblue on October 29, 2009 at 2:57 AM

He’s such a liar and he ain’t even good at it…

Fuzzlenutter on October 29, 2009 at 3:55 AM

I hope they stay on this story like flies on the crap that it is! Similarly, they need to bring back into focus the whole “Scare Force One” flyover incident and release the flight manifest.

Logic on October 29, 2009 at 7:37 AM

*Breaking news* CBS is not a news organization anymore.

Osis on October 29, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Nothing new here unless the promise made by Zero brings some transparancy to the issue. Probably will be swept
under the rug by Rhamn and Axelhead aided and abetted by the MSM like the rest of the junk about this corrupt and thug administration.

bluegrass on October 29, 2009 at 9:35 AM

Would it shock anyone to find out the Obama family has a reverse mortgage on the White House? Gotta have bucks for shopping in Paris, you know.

Cybergeezer on October 29, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Cash for Clunkers.

ChrisB on October 29, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Sorry. I’m old. Tell me again why a Chicago politician peddling influence/patronage is news. “News”, would be a post about about a Chicago politician who is NOT corrupt.

Please review the definition of what constitutes “news”.

Thank you.