Video calls Stupak stand into question

posted at 5:37 pm on October 28, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Today, Rep. Bart Stupak threatens to derail ObamaCare over the issue of abortion, but last Saturday, Stupak tried a different position back in his home district. The Heritage Foundation blog The Foundry published the video, where Stupak told a town-hall audience that he would support ObamaCare if the Democratic leadership allowed him a vote to ban federal funding of abortion first:

Read the Foundry’s post to discover why Stupak may not have expected this to come to light.  Sounds familiar, doesn’t it?

Does this negate what Stupak asserted just a few days later? Perhaps not. When Stupak attempts to explain that it’s the American way to vote for bills that offend your conscience, his constituents loudly boo him, which seems to take him aback. They understand that principles only have value when people stick to them. The voters present at this forum understand that a floor vote is a floor vote, but not why Stupak feels it necessary to cooperate with a bill that goes against his principles.

Maybe Stupak learned a lesson at this meeting, which is why he has become so aggressive this week.  Or, perhaps, he’s just trying for a little attention. We’ll see soon enough.

Comments

Maybe Stupak is on his way out next election.

Bishop on October 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Opps. I opened up my mouth and told a LIE!

hawkman on October 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM

Wow! There are open seats in that “Townhall.”

WashJeff on October 28, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Bart Stupak comes from my town. From what I know of the guy, he’s not just out to get publicity. He’s legitimately opposed to abortion in Obamacare. Whether he learned a lesson here I don’t know.

Keljeck on October 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Interesting.

I agree with Mr. Morrissey, we will have to see if the townhall in Cheboygan really had a deep impact on Rep. Stupak or not.

If this is just an attention-grab though…

Shogun144 on October 28, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Maybe Stupak is on his way out next election.

Bishop on October 28, 2009 at 5:40 PM

The U.P. is pretty democratic, it isn’t going to happen.

Keljeck on October 28, 2009 at 5:45 PM

He may not like abortion, but he has no problem with socialism.

keep the change on October 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM

The moral of the story is that angry town halls and tea party protesters killed Obamacare.

Keep your chin up folks.

jhffmn on October 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM

I would admire anyone who stood against tax payers paying for abortions…and even more so, if their abhorrence to abortion was genuine, and principled. However, after listening, and reading, I have to wonder…is this man standing on principles? I don’t think so. Seems to me, he has re-election concerns, and possibly, in light of what he has said over time, may be willing to take a bribe, or 2, for his vote.

capejasmine on October 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Typical democrat politician. I knew his stand was too good to be true. He has Obama disease ….”what’s in it for me”.

darwin on October 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I wonder if Bart Stupak really understands what “voting your conscience” means. Does your conscience only become operative on amendments and procedural votes?

marc@hubsandspokes on October 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Seems to me, he has re-election concerns

No he doesn’t. He’s a congressman here until he decides to become a senator or retire. There isn’t much ill will toward him.

Keljeck on October 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Maybe Stupak learned a lesson at this meeting, which is why he has become so aggressive this week. Or, perhaps, he’s just trying for a little attention. We’ll see soon enough.

Stupak is in a tough position. His district includes both Yoopers and trolls (some of those living below the Macinac bridge and all of those living above that landmark). Voting for federally funded abortions will hurt him back home. I don’t think this merely a ploy to seek attention.

highhopes on October 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM

marc@hubsandspokes on October 28, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Exactly. He obviously doesn’t. Should he not vote for a bill that kills babies……doh! Is that a real question?

gina4 on October 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM

This doesn’t surprise me. I am waiting for all these Blue Dogs and anti-abortion Dems to fold. All it will take is some minor concession. Until then they will play the tough guy act.

Mark1971 on October 28, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I told you he was a Democrat.

Blue Dogs = Democrats

He’ll only go against the leadership if the wind if blowing violently against him… they want the perks… if the dough flows from the leadership, that’s where they bunk… but if the leadership can’t deliver or the winds are blowing against the leadership, it’s every “man” for himself.

IOW – Democrats are spineless toadies, blue or otherwise.

mankai on October 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM

He basically just told the Democratic Party to go ahead and defeat his amendment. What a tool.

ktrush on October 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

The Poodles rode in on a lie. Left up to the folks that are continually cutting them slack (both Ed and AP, among many others), they’ll lie themselves to a comfy, permanent incumbency. It will be a continual story of Poodles staying just this side of socialist until they have the committee positions (and the largess for their districts) that will eliminate the need for the dance.

spmat on October 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM

It’s time for conservatives to start setting up exploration committees in “Blue Dog” districts to decide whether to run for Congress in Democrat primaries. That is a threat that will cost nothing but may get these faux blue dogs to snap to.

stefano1 on October 28, 2009 at 10:51 PM