The next GOP civil war: Cheney backing Hutchison over Rick Perry

posted at 6:05 pm on October 28, 2009 by Allahpundit

You know what this means, don’t you? Dick Cheney on one side — and Sarahcuda on the other. For grassroots conservatives, this is like watching a knife fight between Reagan and Thatcher.

Which one’s the RINO here?

Former Vice President Dick Cheney will join Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Texas) on the campaign trail in her bid to unseat incumbent Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas).

The Hutchison campaign told the Austin American-Statesman Cheney would appear at a fundraiser next month to endorse Hutchison…

Perry has done much to appeal to conservatives in his own right. In March, Perry rejected federal stimulus funds directed toward unemployment claims, saying they had too many strings attached.

There’s only one way to decide who the truest “true conservative” is: Liz Cheney will have to play tiebreaker. Meanwhile, on the civil war’s northern front, you’ll be unsurprised yet nonetheless disappointed to know that the RNC chairman is backing the party’s nominee. To salve the wound, enjoy this clever takedown of Scozzafava by some of her, ahem, “supporters” — with one word of caution. If I’m right that most voters left in Team Dede’s camp are centrist or even slightly liberal and now have to decide between Hoffman and the Democrat, this could backfire big time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

For what its worth, Perry will likely have Karl Rove in his corner, which makes the Cheney ingredient in this equation even wilder.

selias on October 29, 2009 at 11:14 AM

–From today’s Dallas News: Former Bush White House advisers Karl Rove and Karen Hughes are supporting Hutchison, as is former Bush fundraiser Jim Francis of Dallas.

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I stand corrected. Apparently, even though Karl Rove helped Perry get elected as he did Bush, Rove is too much of a DC insider himself now.

selias on October 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Funny how people who flee their homes because of the crappy policies they voted for like to bring those same policies here with them.

juliesa on October 28, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Scorched earth.

anuts on October 29, 2009 at 12:00 PM

***
I’m still trying to evaluate KBH and Rick Perry. We have been fortunate in Texas from an economic standpoint. The argument to vote out the Beltway girl may hold water–our representatives and senators seem to catch a virus when they go to D.C.–they go liberal.
***
My fellow El Paso voters will go democRAT. I want to see all persons required to show a valid driver’s license when they vote. If I have to do so when I present my check or credit card when I buy something–I expect to do the same when my most important “purchase”–voting–occurs.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 29, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Here are the Texas voting requirements:

All voters who registered to vote in Texas must provide a Texas driver’s license number or personal identification number issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety or the last four digits of your social security number. If you have not been issued any of these numbers, then you must state that fact on the application by checking the designated box.

What if I don’t have a driver’s license, personal identification number, OR a social security number? Can I still register to vote in Texas?
A voter who has not been issued a driver’s license or social security number may register to vote, but such voter must submit proof of identification when presenting himself/herself for voting or with his/her mail-in ballots, if voting by mail. These voters’ names are flagged on the official voter registration list with the annotation of “ID.” The “ID” notation instructs the poll worker to request a proper form of identification from these voters when they present themselves for voting. Acceptable identification includes:

•a driver’s license or personal identification card issued to the person by the Department of Public Safety or a similar document issued to the person by an agency of another state, regardless of whether the license or card has expired;
•a form of identification containing the person’s photograph that establishes the person’s identity;
•a birth certificate or other document confirming birth that is admissible in a court of law and establishes the person’s identity;
•United States citizenship papers issued to the person;
•a United States passport issued to the person;
•official mail addressed to the person by name from a governmental entity;
•a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document that shows the name and address of the voter; or
•any other form of identification prescribed by the Secretary of State.

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Palin will clean his clock.

faraway on October 29, 2009 at 12:11 PM

BINGO that’s how Javier, Carmeza and co from Juarez vote. They just get a cell phone contract – bang. Instant Dem vote.

Not saying Texas has an immigration problem. It’s no problem at all. It’s a full blown crisis.

Anders on October 29, 2009 at 12:16 PM

As much as it pleased me to see, all his secession talk looked like it was grandstanding from my perspective. I don’t really know enough the players in this case to have an informed opinion.

Texans I am sure could elaborate in a more informed manner.

The Ronin Edge on October 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

To be fair and accurate, that particular speech was actually an invocation of Amendment X.

anuts on October 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I don’t get it, why is she running? Does she need a governorship for her future plans? Thses two are the same candidate. And Hutchison may end up losing to a conservative Democrat…

Theworldisnotenough on October 28, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Why is Kay Bailey Hutchison, a sitting Texas Republican senator, even running against a sitting Texas Republican governor?

Hutchison should consider herself lucky to have a safe senate seat. Rick Perry is far from perfect, but she has no business challenging him. How is she any better?

barrypopik on October 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Why is Perry even being challenged? I’m not up on this. KBH left a safe senate position to take a Governor’s seat from a Republican?

HondaV65 on October 28, 2009 at 9:49 PM

My fellow Texans, this is really it and it is huge. KBH knows very well the power (lack thereof) that a governor actually holds. There is so little to gain either way, for our state (if you support her and plan to vote for her) for such an enormous cost.

Really?

Do we need this happening with the current makeup of DC?

Amazing.

anuts on October 29, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I don’t understand this. Did any of them explain WHY they were supporting Hutchison?

Or is it just animosity about Perry? He did take that “we can secceed from the union if we want” stance (and he’s right, Texas can if they want to), that likely was upsetting to Party OUTSIDE Texas… but that’s just a guess.

Lourdes on October 29, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Another thing and that is that Hutchison is, if I remember correctly (someone please advise if this is incorrect), that Hutchison is keen on amnesty for illegal aliens.

Every.single.time I start regaining enthusiasm for Rove, et al. on so many fronts and about so many issues, he surfaces engaged in this pro-amnesty association among the GOP.

I could be wrong, willing to be corrected as I wrote above, but, seriously, why is this contingency so consistently working against so many voters’ opinion on the Right?

This issue alone was Bush’s undoing. You’d think they’d learn.

Lourdes on October 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Texans I am sure could elaborate in a more informed manner.

The Ronin Edge on October 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

anuts on October 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Correct. I never got an impression from Perry that he was “grandstanding” in that regard.

Keep in mind that this public declaration and affirmation of Texas’ state constitutional legitimacy to succeed from the Union was made at the time the Left/Democrats were openly threatening state governors if and when they were objecting to the “Stimulus” Porkulus “funds”…

So Perry was declaring his position, that he’d uphold Texas determination, which I rather respected.

Lourdes on October 29, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Didn’t KBH flip-flop on border security, supporting it in public and gutting it in private?

I was saddened to see KBH vote for the stimulus package, vote to NOT defund ACORN, and continue to allow unsecured borders.
Perry gets my vote.

nor on October 29, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Lourdes on October 29, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Since you asked. No, KBH does not and did not support amnesty for illegal aliens and when I hear that lie repeated, (not that I direct this personally towards you) especially by Texans, I find it very disheartening that those who repeat it clearly have not done their own investigation and research about KBH and her positions.

Perry really pissed me off during the Trans Texas Corridor push in that KBH offered an alternative route using existing roads that accomplished the same purpose by using the funds to improve those roads ways for the additional traffic. KBH pursued this alternative route (I-69) and succeeded in getting the Fed. Dept of Trans. to agree to it. Perry had no problem using the sweeping authority of eminent domain to take land from Texans and I have a real problem with that. And I think that 2 full terms and 2 years filling in for Bush’s term … 10 years as Governor is enough. Seems to me that he’s been showing signs lately that it’s no longer about Texas, it’s about Perry and his political ambitions.

And for all you Texans out there, there is Proposition 11 up for vote that will strengthen the existing laws about using eminent domain to take private property and giving it to another private enterprise.

Texas Gal on October 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Lourdes on October 29, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Kay and the Bush family are very, very close, so even the Cheney endorsement wasn’t that surprising.

TXUS on October 29, 2009 at 1:35 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but the reason all the establishment pols are in favor of amnesty is 1.3:1

When social security was enacted there were 33 payers to one payee. By 2020 the ratio will be 1.3:1. They want new payers.

lonesomecharlie on October 29, 2009 at 1:43 PM

Rick Perry’s record:

Toll Roads and Trans Texas Corridor – (2003)

Business Margins Tax – backdoor state income tax (2006)

HPV vaccine mandate – Attack on parental rights (2007)

FLDS El Dorado raid – Religious Oppression, traumatizes 438 children and their parents; out of control Child Protective Services raid based on crank phone call (2008)

Defeats Steven Wayne Smith – makes robo phone calls against most conservative Supreme Court judge in modern Texas history (2004)

Vetoes Texas Eminent Domain Bill – taking your land for a toll road more important than signing property rights protection overwhelmingly passed by Legislature. (2007)

Signs Hate Crimes bill — Attack on free speech and creates thought crimes, includes sexual orientation as a class! (2001)

BTW: The TTC is not dead. Just renamed.

I’m voting for Debra Medina in the primaries.

Southern Tragedu on October 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Texas Gal on October 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Hate to disagree with you, but KBH has not been as consistent as many Texans would like, I dare say…and she has voted against/for some bills that identify she’s not as anti-amnesty as you claim.

For example, she voted against the Real ID (problems or no, that was a serious attempt at identifying means of avoiding illegals obtaining state DLs throughout the US).

She also voted against a bill barring illegals with certain criminal histories, as well as against an employer identification amendment and the State Criminal Aliens Assistance Program amendment.

I’m certainly not implying she’s overtly liberal or as much of a RINO as McCain, but she’s got other issues (such as late-term abortions or stimulus bills and amendments) where her vote or no-vote gives me pause.

Hell, she even voted to require our Commanders to testify to Congress…that’s not acceptable, in my view. We have plenty of Pentagon folks obligated as it is. She didn’t even vote to place a moratorium on earmarks. Even the big fat RINO McCain has led that charge.

And if I hear another Texan spout off about Perry grandstanding, when his speech was in direct response to federal threats to the Tenth Amendment, I’m going to start spouting off about not only our right, but moral obligation, to secede from the US and return to the Great Republic of Texas with even greater fervor than before.

View her record for yourself, as I would never make a list without providing her voting record:

KBH Voting Record

Miss_Anthrope on October 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Who isn’t supporting Perry is more important to me than who is supporting Hutchinson.

Every screaming lib, including the local rag (San Antonio Express News) is bleating like their hair is on fire, about Governor Perry.

That does it for me. Anything that riles these people, gets my vote.

Can’t wait to get the bumper sticker.

So you’d vote for Kinky Friedman over Perry?

Friedman makes Al Franken seem almost qualified.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Hutchison has a mandate, to return from Washington to deflate Texan resilience, strength and independent spirit. She had Cheney’s backing to begin with; for all we know, he put her up to it. Her point is to neuter the Texas GOP, to divide the party membership and divest conservatives of any voter power.

There was a video released of Perry in conversation stating the obvious, that GWB was no fiscal conservative. If there’s sour grapes from the Bush family over that, no surprise. Whatever blooper policies Perry endorsed are nothing Hutchison won’t attempt herself (the highway from hell, std mandated vaccinations of all pubescent girls). But Perry would NEVER flip as Hutchison did posing as a steadfast anti-illegal immigrant amnesty senator along with big big John Cornyn, just placating the public so as not to take “undo” flack while enabling support for McCain’s comprehensive immigration overhaul flop reformed behind closed doors back East. She was in on TARP and the augmented bureaucracy in government, distancing citizens from elected officials.

Having these two discuss policies would be interesting, but we won’t get anything beyond publicity sound bites.

maverick muse on October 29, 2009 at 2:45 PM

$ Pretending that having illegals made citizens will increase the tax base is too painful for ridicule. Illegal aliens are well versed in “beating the system” having illegally gained and maintained residency already. There is no way you can get tax funds to pay for augmented entitlement programs from those on welfare or supposedly living on minimum wage, particularly those who send their earnings out of country and work a lot from cash basis and utilize non-American banks, those who play the system with dual citizenship and don’t claim all their earnings for tax-benefit purposes. It isn’t just the ultra-wealthy who get away without paying taxes these days. Though the ultra-wealthy afford tax specialists who find them loopholes, the illegal immigrant just cuts his own holes through the fences. And if the illegal-amnestied-citizen is “caught”, they just flee back to Mexico for a while.

Democrats fail to enforce codes against Hispanics in TX, and will fail to enforce tax codes against Mexicans posing as US citizens. Democrats give the illegal aliens false social security numbers and then pocket the taxes, never sending them on to the IRS for collection. In Dallas ISD, they won’t hire white American certified teachers, but they hire illegal Mexican non-certified teachers who are Spanish speaking. To top it off, the ISD assigned these illegal Mexican teachers social security numbers that BELONG TO REAL AMERICANS. This was supposedly a temporary fix, yet going on for years, all in order to bypass laws. Imagine the royal mess down the line with screwed up records, stolen IDs, and too many benefit demands from low wage population base.

maverick muse on October 29, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Here’s the link to the Dallas news article, Lourdes: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/texassouthwest/legislature/stories/DN-kbhcheney_29tex.ART.State.Edition1.4b892b9.html. Don’t see much explanation in there.

No Donkey, isn’t Kinky really running as an independent, even though he’s making noises to be a Dem? Hell, if Minnesota can have the Jesse Ventura and California can have the Terminator, why can’t Texas have the Kink?

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

I think maybe the GOP isn’t dead, but it’s still beating itself to death. *haha

Seriously, it may take another round of solid losses before someone blinks.

Bush-like politics are not going to ever win the GOP. I also personally believe that far-right politics really does make a swing voter think twice, all things being equal.

In a down market, you price yourself properly.

AnninCA on October 29, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Miss_Anthrope on October 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Thank you for your direction but I am fully aware of KBH voting record as well as Perry’s record as Governor for the last 10 years. I don’t have big issues with either one of them. But I do have an issue with Perry’s move for re-election after he has spent 10 years in that office. It’s time to move on if for no other reason than that’s 2 more years than is traditionally been the case in Texas and I really don’t like the precedent.

Texas Gal on October 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Kay is 100% against amnesty, against sanctuary cities, and for photo ID verification when voting. Period.

Kay missed the ACORN defunding vote on account that there was no vote scheduled at the time she scheduled her travel. It passed. And she is 100% against funding ACORN in the future.

Any time a governor is in place for nearly 10 years, Republican or Democrat, cronyism and inefficiencies thrive. In this environment, the TXDOT has become one of the most corrupt and self-important state agencies to just name one example. It’s time for a change. The founders of the nation wanted it that way for the federal government. It’s a good model to follow. Kay is pro 4 year term limits.

And yes, the Texas Trans Corridor issue hasn’t died with recent events. Rather it will just be repackaged. Taking 600,000 acres from private citizens is appalling. I don’t care who you are.

BirdEye on October 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Honestly, my opinion is that this is Texas. They need to vote in whomever they feel represents them best.

I wish the national “voices” would shut up.

This is a state issue.

AnninCA on October 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM

I wish the national “voices” would shut up.

This is a state issue.

AnninCA on October 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM

–This is Texas. This IS a national vote.

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Because everything is bigger in Texas and a D-list celebrity isn’t bigger than anything.

Kinky makes Al Franken look like Elvis.

On the plus side, few would make fun of Texas for electing a celebrity.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Perry is a clown .

borntoraisehogs on October 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Rick Perry’s record:

Toll Roads and Trans Texas Corridor – (2003)

Business Margins Tax – backdoor state income tax (2006)

HPV vaccine mandate – Attack on parental rights (2007)

BTW: The TTC is not dead. Just renamed.

I’m voting for Debra Medina in the primaries.

Southern Tragedu on October 29, 2009 at 1:59 PM

Compare that with Sanford, Crist (DIABLO), Romney (DIABLO) … and even Huckabee, Pawlenty, Huntsman and ….. Jindal. All YUCKIE RECORDS.

Daniels is better due to his “Outsourcing” Policies don’t solve any specific problems either. His main problem? HE’S A TYPICAL IVY LEAGUE WHO ONLY KNOWS PRETTY SPEECHES AND CAMPAIGN …. BUT DOESN’T KNOW HOW TO ATTRACT INVESTMENT. Indiana’s budget is hiding all the dirty secrets.

Barbour’s record is also questionable.

Of course, they are all relatively better than the DIRTY LIBERAL GOVERNORS OF THE BLUE STATES (that includes California’s DIABLO Gubernator).

But that’s the price of COMPROMISING with the State legislature full of Rinos and Democrats. Jeb Bush’ records are also so dirty when it comes taxing the people.

Clue: A Governor is Fiscally Conservatives if his STATE LEGISLATORS hate him so much due to state budget cuts (normally pet projects by assemblymen and state senators).

Can you still remember Bush2′s taxes and Anti-Oil Drilling (i.e., love for Wind RPS) in Texas?

GOSH! PERRY IS RELATIVELY MORE FISCALLY CONSERVATIVE.

How utterly depressing, but not all that surprising given that Cheney is more of a blue-blood repub than a conservative one.

I just hope Sarah has a few trips to Texas on her itinerary.

Dave R. on October 29, 2009 at 11:51 AM

It’s not SO DEPRESSING at all.

RICK PERRY HAS JUST ENDORSED HOFFMAN.

TheAlamos on October 29, 2009 at 4:40 PM

Perry is a clown .

borntoraisehogs on October 29, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Are you referring to KBH, another woman DIABLO due to her past records?

Or, you’re thinking of Franken in Minnesota?

TheAlamos on October 29, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Kinky makes Al Franken look like Elvis.

On the plus side, few would make fun of Texas for electing a celebrity.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2009 at 4:07 PM

–And I’m sure Willie–and maybe even George Strait and Pat Green–would play at his inaguration.

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Jimbo3 on October 29, 2009 at 4:59 PM

My favorite is Hank Williams III but I’m pretty sure even a Democrat wouldn’t want him to play, much less a Republican.

Maybe at the SWMF.

NoDonkey on October 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM

The inside scoop as I know it is that KBH wanted to run for TX Gov. in 06…but an agreement was made that she would let RP have one more go at it and then he was to step aside for her. Then, as they always do…events happened and voila…the Marxist Hopenchange Takeover upped the ante.
While most of America has been bleeding, things here in Texas have been okay. Not perfect, but after a few trips to Ohio, Michigan, and California….I am darn happy to have Rick Perry taking care of business in Texas. Some days, when it looks like America could cease-to-be at any moment, it is that bit of bravado that Governor Goodhair Perry displays that makes me feel like Texas is a safe place to be. (The guns and freedom fighting spirit help too!) Again, not perfect, but I don’t think that this is the time to change guards – especially to someone who has spent a little too much time in Washington DC.

redwhiteblue on October 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I don’t know why anyone would think Cheney is something better than his boss. It’s just wishful thinking. It’s likely Bush was the sum of the ideas Cheney whispered into his ear all those years. Many, if not most, of those Bush Administration clowns like Powell were Cheney’s idea.

Anything in the vicinity of Bush should be rejected by those who want to preserve America.

Buddahpundit on October 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I was trying to remember where last I heard the name Rick Perry, and then I recalled he was the one blabbing about secession.

Right.

Black Yoshi on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Like I care who Cheney wants to be Texas gov. Go Rick!

tickleddragon on October 29, 2009 at 9:29 PM

Black Yoshi on October 29, 2009 at 9:17 PM

Imagine you were flying on a 747, in a good comfortable seat, with an airline known for both good in-flight meals and movies. Partway through the flight a fellow passenger said you should grab a parachute and bail out because some of the engines were making funny noises. You’d probably either laugh or dismiss him/her as a few fries short of a happy meal.

But then a little while later, you noticed that a couple of the engines were smoking worse than an international cigar-fanciers convention. Would you still dismiss the messenger so readily?

Dark-Star on October 29, 2009 at 10:03 PM

I met Doug Hoffman tonight. Great guy. CPA numbers guy. Excellent choice.

Also say that Scozza add here at the Best Western in Canton. Thought I was in the twilight zone.

I’m running some campaign sign deliveries tomorrow morning and then it’s back to Watertown office for Hoffman.

It appears we have the momentum. Pray it holds til Tuesday.

Sapwolf on October 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I think the Dem-wit wins in a three way close race. I hope I’m wrong.

Mojave Mark on October 29, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Speaking as a Texan I am very surprised that Cheney would choose the candidate from the Democrats.

Yeah. I know she has an R by her name. But she’s from the Democrats.

Hyunchback on October 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Cheney is all hat and no cattle.
Hutchison = W and Co. (TARP lovin’ RINO)
This Texan stands by Rick Perry – cuz he’d whup up on Obammy any day.

LoneStarGal on October 29, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I thought conservatives were for term limits? Guess not. Must have been mistaken.

DanStark on October 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

DanStark on October 30, 2009 at 12:26 AM

What’s Kay Bailout’s excuse?
She’s been in the Senate now for 16 years.

If there’s no term limit to be Governor of TX, we should either set one or leave it alone.
I don’t hear anyone in TX wanting one for the Governor except KBH.

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM

All this Civil War talk is raising the ire of the LGFeratics.

James on October 30, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Allahpundit’s ‘analysis’, as usual, about as useful as a pile of crap, fretting over whether listing Dede’s policy positions will drive ‘centrist-liberal’ voters away. Man, grow a pair.

Sixth Guard on October 30, 2009 at 10:21 AM

Allahpundit needs to know that Rick Perry sent out an email yesterday asking his supporters to donate to Hoffman’s campaign in NY’s 23rd.

Looks like Kay will have to dance with Dede.

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Kay is pro 4 year term limits.
BirdEye on October 29, 2009 at 3:56 PM

Hutchison in 1994
I firmly believe in term limitations and I plan to adhere to that.
Hutchison in 2005
Let me say it, I think term limits are a bad idea. I see term limit as depriving us of experienced leaders.

You know, experience leaders like Lindsey Graham, McCain, KBH.
Yes Sir! The real conservative members of the GOP.

Bull-Shit! The only thing ‘Kay is pro’ is her political lying ass.

try again later on October 30, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Texas Gal on October 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM

Hon, I don’t have an issue with what you say, but are you sure you just want to elect someone (KBH) because Perry’s been in office for 10 years? Is that the only reason you’re considering KBH, or do you actually prefer her record?

When you comment in that fashion, you sound an awful like so many of the Obama voters from last year…”we just need a change.”

That may not be your intent, but as a fellow Texan who’s temporarily displaced, I have to “hope” that Texans will actually vote for the right candidate for them based on their record, and not just because of who’s been an incumbent.

Hope you get what you ask for, and that you really prefer her record over his. The fact Perry’s endorsed Hoffman is a big plus to me…Perry may not have the exact record I would hope for, but I certainly prefer it to hers, as she’s much more of a DIABLO in my book.

Just checkin’ to make sure you’ve really thought this through, ’cause your comments to me don’t bear that out yet. (NOTE: Haven’t read everything you’ve posted, just what I responded to and your reply to me, and those don’t sound as thoughtful as you may be on this issue.)

Miss_Anthrope on October 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

redwhiteblue on October 29, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Exactly.

You want Texas to stay Texas, vote Perry.

You want Texas to be like DC wants Texas to be, vote KBH.

I moved from DC to Texas and I’m voting Perry. KBH can have DC.

NoDonkey on October 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Miss_Anthrope on October 30, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Sweetie, I appreciate your interest in my political savvy. I believe I said “but I am fully aware of KBH voting record as well as Perry’s record as Governor for the last 10 years. I don’t have big issues with either one of them.”

I support both Perry as Governor of Texas and KBH as the senior Senator for Texas. I think they have both done an excellent job for Texas.

What I prefer is what is best for Texas and the long view of keeping Texas RED. In my opinion, that means a GOP candidate that is not Rick Perry and I have several reasons for believing that.

Bless your heart, I’m sure you didn’t mean to insult me with your insinuation that I am in the same mold as a mindless Obama voter, so I’ll just let that slide. But I have to wonder why you would in almost the next breath state that Perry’s endorsement of Hoffman would be a plus for your support of Perry over KBH. Doesn’t that have an Obamabot ring to it?

And why’s Perry endorsing Hoffman? What does the Governor of Texas gain by endorsing a Conservative Party candidate for a House District in New York? Like I said, lately, Perry’s been showing signs that he’s more about his political future than about Texas. I want a Republican Party Governor for Texas that will spend the next four years (hopefully 8 years) focused on Texas, not focused on their political future.

Personally, I hoped to see Perry move on into a national role, I think he has a great future in politics but he needs to let go of the Governor’s Office for the sake of Texas. KBH on the other hand is at the closing stages of her political career. The respect that she earned in Washington, her knowledge and experience in DC will be a plus for Texas.

And since I have been actively evolved in State politics for a very long time, my main concern is not so much about the Texas GOP Primary but finding and promoting the right candidate for KBH’s replacement to keep the outgoing Mayor of Houston, Bill White, out of that position. Too bad Perry didn’t consider that as a possibility.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM

You could just as easily accuse KBH of focusing on her political future as you could Perry.
So, they cancel each other out on that score.
Rick has said that he doesn’t want national office, but wants to serve Texas.
I, for one, believe him.

BULL.
She is a Beltway insider who’s virtually out-of-touch with her home state.
I won’t forgive her for voting for the bailout.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Of course, Perry’s considered it as a possibility!
There are several fine Republicans he can appoint, too, if Kay Bailout would just step down from the Senate.
(Michael Williams and Phyllis Schlafly come to mind…)
The problem isn’t who Perry will appoint, it’s Kay creating a vacancy for no reason.
Whomever Rick appoints will have to run for re-election and win.
We could lose another GOP seat that way that was pretty safe with Kay’s b*tt in it.

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 1:36 PM

So, they cancel each other out on that score.
Rick has said that he doesn’t want national office, but wants to serve Texas.
I, for one, believe him.

I think I’d have to be pretty politically illiterate to not recognize that Perry has a bright future ahead of him and see the evidence that he is working those opportunities, while at the same time, not recognize that KBH is moving towards the end of her political career and has decided to come back to Texas with the desire to end that career as the Governor of Texas. So, maybe in your mind they cancel each other out, but not for me.

I have no doubt that Perry wants to serve Texas. But I also believe that he has political interests beyond Texas in his future. As I said, I believe he has served Texas well. I just believe that his decision to run for another term is not in the best interest of Texas.

Yes, I’d like to see her stay in her Senate seat, but that’s not my decision, it’s hers. My personal choice is Michael Williams. Perry would do well to appoint him to replace KBH.

But one thing I do believe, is that time is not on our side. Everyday we turn greater shades of purple.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 2:20 PM

KBH on the other hand is at the closing stages of her political career.
Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Whoa! Texas might be a great place to retire…but that shouldn’t equate with a great place for a politician to wind down her career! Hypothesize all you want about Rick Perry’s political future – although I hardly think the rest of America is going to be in the mood for another Texas governor for a while – but I take his current rhetoric seriously that he is looking out for Texas when it comes to the overreaching power grabs by the formerly- Chicago-now-Washington DC-Marxists.

redwhiteblue on October 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

Hypothesize all you want about Rick Perry’s political future – redwhiteblue on October 30, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I find it hypocritical of Perry to endorse a Conservative Party candidate for a House district in New York when he has yet to deliver on his promise to reduce property taxes for Texas land/home owners, currently 12th out of 50. GOP voters aren’t going to forget that.

So he might be thinking that riding Palin’s coattails will help him over that hump. But what he just did was remind Republicans in Texas that he is not a fiscal conservative. And that taken with his push towards eminent domain for the Trans Texas Corridor are going to come back to haunt him.

It’s interesting how in the past I’ve had to defend Perry on this very blog site for his actions (or in-actions as it were) on the border to suppress illegal immigration.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Whoopsy!
You have the same 2 talking points that BirdEye did…you must work for the Kay campaign also!

1.) Perry can’t give Texans across the board tax relief because ours are levied locally by the city and county.

2.) The Trans-Texas Corridor project is dead.
It has ceased to be.
It is an ex-project.
Etc, etc., etc.

Kay and her people are going to have to do better than this to whoop Governor Good Hair!
LOL

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 5:39 PM

Please see #’s 1. & 2. above. See you at the polls!

redwhiteblue on October 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Whoopsy!

2.) The Trans-Texas Corridor project is dead.
It has ceased to be.
It is an ex-project.
Etc, etc., etc.

LOL

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Whoopsey!

You clearly don’t know what I’m talking about.

1) Perry promised property tax reform and so far the little bit of things he’s done have not delivered on what he has promised to do.

And 2)The Trans Texas Corridor was switched to an existing route of roadways that will serve the same goals once improved as outlined in the project without using eminent domain to take land from Texas landowners … Thanks to the work that KBH did by forcing the Dept of Transportation to hold townhall meetings as hear what Texans had to say about it. Including those who would be affected by the alternative route, which they want!

Please see #’s 1. & 2. above. See you at the polls!

redwhiteblue on October 30, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Please see 1 and 2 above.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I love Sarah, but is she aware of this:

Gov Perry requiring all girls to get the HPV vaccine? Pretty police-statish.

Spartacus on October 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Gov Perry requiring all girls to get the HPV vaccine? Pretty police-statish.

Spartacus on October 30, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Perry got slapped down by the legislature about that.
He hasn’t tried anything similar since.

Still doesn’t make Kay Bailout look any better!

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Perry signed a property tax reform bill just this past summer.

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Kay didn’t have Jack Squat to do with the death of the TTC.
Again, the voters of Texas and legislature shut that down, too.

KBH is a RINO Beltway Insider in Washington and a Highland Park society suckup when she’s in Texas (same thing with a Texas accent and Mahnolo Blahnik cowboy boots from Neiman’s).
No thanks!
I’m sticking with Rick “Texas secede” Perry!

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 8:48 PM

Breaking News!
Kay Bailey Hutchison named Porker of the Month by Citizens Against Government Waste

Deal with that, all of you KBH campaign operatives!
Bwahahahahaha!!!

Jenfidel on October 30, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Perry signed a property tax reform bill just this past summer.

LOL.. what a coincidence … just this past summer ..

after 8 years of promise ..

.. and a very good example of …

“I’ll sign a Bill, and Bill, just so I can sign a Bill, I made a promise to sign a Bill”.

Like I said… so far the little bit of things he’s done have not delivered on what he has promised to do. Texas landowners are sick and tired of being held hostage by the various stupidity of the appraisal district system.

Kay didn’t have Jack Squat to do with the death of the TTC.
Again, the voters of Texas and legislature shut that down, too.

You mean all those voters who turned out for the KBH vs DofTransportation townhall meetings? Yes, their voices were heard loud and clear even without the media coverage. Seems like most of what I remember about the TX Legislature and the TTC was their signing off on a private company to use eminent domain to take land for their project from Texans.

Vote YES on Prop 11 Nov. 3

Texas Gal on October 30, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Texas Gal

Clearly, you have issues with Governor Perry. But I don’t see that you are promoting KBH because you feel that she would be better for Texas…you just keep re-hashing your sticking points with RP. That shines of the folks who took to Obama because they didn’t like George Bush. This Texan is not interested in “change” for the sake of bitterness. But thanks for trying.

redwhiteblue on October 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

Perry Reacts To Cheney’s Endorsement Of His Opponent: ‘I’d Stick With Sarah’ Palin

gary4205 on October 31, 2009 at 12:47 AM

redwhiteblue on October 31, 2009 at 12:14 AM

In truth, I have issues with both Perry and KBH. I said from the start that I support what is best for Texas and looking at the long term picture, keeping Texas RED would be best achieved with KBH and furthermore, Perry has been in the mansion for 10 years now and that’s long enough.

Y’all turned it into a Perry vs KBH discussion. All I did was set the record straight about KBH.

Texas Gal on October 31, 2009 at 1:11 AM

Man this sucks. Dick must have got word Rick made a joke about him shooting that old boy in the face down in Refugio.

pc on October 31, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Vote YES on Prop 11 Nov. 3
I support what is best for Texas
Texas Gal

Ditto on both of the above. I agree to disagree with you on KBH…March Primary will be interesting. Take care and God bless Texas!

redwhiteblue on October 31, 2009 at 4:51 PM