Video: Shep Smith apologizes for Fox’s lack of balance

posted at 9:26 pm on October 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Did anyone see this live? HuffPo and Weasel Zippers picked it up but I’m having a hard time believing the video edit didn’t omit some important detail. Is this really how it happened? If so, what exactly is Shep’s problem? Does “fair and balanced” now mean interviewing both candidates at the same time? If Carl Cameron nabs an interview with Harry Reid about the public option, I’m pretty sure he’s not required to go sprinting down the hall to make sure he gets some comment from Mitch McConnell before the bit airs. And given the left’s demagoguery of Fox, how do we know that Corzine isn’t boycotting the channel altogether? Are Republicans now personae non grata if their Democratic counterparts unilaterally decide that FNC isn’t worth their time? What’s this about, seriously?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

It is time for the token Fox liberal to join his buddies at MSNBC.

mobydutch on October 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

No way in hell he was being sarcastic.
I’ve watched him enough to know when there is sarcasm. He was Dead Serious here.

bridgetown on October 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

bridgetown on October 28, 2009 at 10:33 AM

Ew, seriously? He looks like his mom drank when he was a fetus. A lot.

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:34 AM

First, I think “davecatbone” maybe on to something, in general, with regards to Smith’s liberalism.

However…looking at this video, it almost seemed like he was attempting to defend Fox’s recently assaulted image by over-defending what was a non-issue. You know, apologize first before you get kicked later – only, he sort of jumped the gun.

Am I being too nice?

jeffthevoter on October 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

lol @ Proud Rino 10:34AM

And Fox News doesn’t need any ‘cred’…….Check the ratings!

bridgetown on October 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

After seeing the whole clip I still think Shep was serious and understandably miffed if he thought he was being used for Chris Christie propaganda BUT his intro “the democrat is definitely going to win, right?” was as unfair and unbalanced as you can get as well… Personally I don’t care if he’s center-left–he’s quarantined on Fox News for heaven’s sake. I always liked Shep so it’s a revelation to me so many other conservatives hate him so much. Very weird segment though.

karlant on October 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Shep is merely pre-selling his leftist capitualation to the fairness doctrine. This is not the first time the dog has wandered into the neighbors yard -let them feed the ornery cur.

Don L on October 28, 2009 at 10:36 AM

It is time for the token Fox liberal to join his buddies at MSNBC. Shep’s disloyalty to his company would get him fired at any other business. He must feel pretty proud of himself to express his “in your face” attitude to Fox.

mobydutch on October 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM

This isn’t that big of a deal. Grasping for straws…

visions on October 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM

And Fox News doesn’t need any ‘cred’…….Check the ratings!

bridgetown on October 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Yeah but the White House attacks aren’t on FN ratings, it’s on diminishing Fox News’ credibility so that attacks on Obama by guys like Beck and Hannity aren’t even taken seriously by the Right, and that’s going to take years – but that’s what the White House is trying to do.

At some point, the left destroyed Bush Jr. so much that even the Right stopped defending him. Ailes is getting out in front of this thing by, like I said, turning loose their one token liberal now that Alan Colmes is gone.

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:38 AM

mobydutch on October 28, 2009 at 10:37 AM

It’s possible that Shep has “gone rogue,” but he seems like a company man to me. I think it’s planned.

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Sorry, I’m a conservative and Christie supporter, but Shep is right. This isn’t just interviewing a politician, it’s giving free airtime to a candidate in a heated race a week before an election–on the most popular cable news network.

This is what the Fairness Doctrine was supposed to be about–news outlets unfairly giving airtime to one candidate over another. It looks fishy and Shep was right to apologize.

DailyDanet on October 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Shep may have just gotten to big for his britches……. garter belt and fishnet stockings….

joedoe on October 28, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Oh, I just think Shep wants to be invited to all of those ‘liberal’ parties. It is almost the Holiday season!

bridgetown on October 28, 2009 at 10:42 AM

Especially with Shep as host who is a far cry from Brett Baier or Brit Hume.

Daemonocracy on October 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Somehow it feels dirty to even put Smith’s name in the same sentence with real journalists. Brit Hume isn’t a conservative but you’d never get that vibe from his professional work. Smith, not so much.

highhopes on October 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Personally I am not a big fan of Shep, but clearly he prides himself on being the “Newsman” as opposed to the “Commentator”.

Since Fox does advertise itself as being “Fair and Balanced” we viewers should not realistically expect every single utterance to reinforce our political philosophies.

ARom on October 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Shep and O’really should get together and start a show…..
ON MSNBC.

JeffVader on October 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

ARom on October 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Heh, I always assumed they just said that to piss off liberals. I’d be disappointed if they actually thought the product they put out was fair and balanced.

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Brit Hume isn’t a conservative

highhopes on October 28, 2009 at 10:43 AM

LOL

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Were you even born before Fox News started broadcasting?

ClassicCon on October 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Has Stephanopolous been replaced by Shep on the W.H. daily strategy calls?

Buy Danish on October 28, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Were you even born before Fox News started broadcasting?

ClassicCon on October 28, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Nonsequitursayswhat?

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

He was being sarcastic. I know of his history and he isn’t a burning liberal. There are many examples in the past of him slamming the left for their slanted view of Fox.

archer52 on October 28, 2009 at 11:04 AM

Obviously, Fox leans right…but what is wrong with one network out of a gazillion that does not lean topple left?

ARom on October 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM

ARom on October 28, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Nothing at all. I’m glad Fox News is out there, even though I rarely watch it (or any other TV).

But it’s not fair and balanced and it doesn’t even pretend to be fair and balanced, so I”m assuming it just says that to annoy liberals. Nothing wrong – and an awful lot that’s right – with that. But I’d be a little worried if they actually started thinking it was true.

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I guess I am hearing something different from everyone else here. I thought Shep meant that he was apologizing for the lack of response from Corzine campaign: if he was in charge of the Corzine campaign, the unanswered requests for interview would not have happened and balance would have been achieved.

You don’t fail to air an interview just because the other side refuses to talk.

Conservatarian on October 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 11:08 AM

I agree Proud Rino. I think the problem is how Fox News is really just like the other networks, but conservative. They have their hokey slogans like “the most trusted name in news,” etc. They’re trying to sell a product. I think of Fox News as fair, but not balanced. Every single show just about is an echo chamber. That being said, MSNBC is the same way, and to a certain extent, so is CNN. All three channels do have their bright spots. I just gotta agree about the balanced part anyway. I can’t quite pinpoint why I would say they are fair, but I would say that they do listen to other commentators opinions and at least try to hear them out.

NathanG on October 28, 2009 at 11:15 AM

Nonsequitursayswhat?

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Yep, thought so. Nailed it.

Some of us have been watching the news industry long enough to have an informed perspective on its bias. Then there are little MySpace kids like yourself whose political knowledge would not exist if they could not click on it with a mouse.

Oh and Juan Williams on NPR.

ClassicCon on October 28, 2009 at 11:16 AM

You don’t fail to air an interview just because the other side refuses to talk.

Conservatarian on October 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

I’m not sure what Corzine has said, but I hope he gets his butt whooped next Tuesday. This guy is beyond childish and sleazy. At least the Deeds campaign made hay out of something that was politically oriented, not how fat the other candidate was. Corzine must think it’s cute to ban Fox News, right?

NathanG on October 28, 2009 at 11:20 AM

If you have to explain that it’s a joke, then it’s not funny. Get it?

RadClown on October 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

OMG talk about unintentional comedy, and the lowest common denominator! Perception is reality for you, eh?

Many people don’t get most of Rush’s non-spelled out jokes, and don’t find Dennis Miller nor Red Eye the least bit humorous. Because some people don’t perceive their humor, I guess it’s objective truth then that none of these they are funny?

It wasn’t me who didn’t catch Shep’s readily apparent sarcasm. I kinda feel sorry for those of you living in a Hee Haw world who did miss it.

Bizarro No. 1 on October 28, 2009 at 11:26 AM

I agree with you, but in what universe has Fox ever given anything close to equal time to a Democrat candidate?

YYZ on October 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

I find it curious that Shep Smith thinks he has the authority to apologize for the Fox bannerhead. He has a bit of a swelled haad and just might be, at least in his mind, auditioning for MSNBC.

Just the present day Alan Colmes…. Forget him.

TruthBeTold on October 28, 2009 at 11:40 AM

YYZ on October 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

LOL this comment is as laughably obtuse as people believing that Shep was dissing his own reporter/network instead of snarkily attacking Fox’s critics…

Bizarro No. 1 on October 28, 2009 at 11:50 AM

And Smith declaring the democrat the winner, ahead of the election, is fair and balanced? Who needs Corzine when you have the most popular cable news network declaring you the winner?

Sue on October 28, 2009 at 11:58 AM

What’s this about, seriously?

It’s usually about gay marriage

entagor on October 28, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Two hours of “balloon boy” on his watch. Jeez, and he complains.

elclynn on October 28, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Proud Rino ~ since you admit you “rarely watch” Fox News, just how would you know if it were fair and balanced, or not?
`
Something you read in a unbiased talking points memo, perhaps?
`

Adjoran on October 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

maybe arnold should send one of his ‘special’ notes to shep

m1aman on October 28, 2009 at 12:37 PM

`
Something you read in a unbiased talking points memo, perhaps?
`

Adjoran on October 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

And I assume you read the New York Times, Daily Kos, and The Nation every day to see if there is liberal bias. Otherwise, how would you know?

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Yea I saw this live and that’s exactly how it happened. I was as stunned as the reporter.. Props to her for collecting herself and responding coherently… I just sorta sat there stupified for a few minutes till I came to the realization that it was, after all, shep smith that I was watching, shrugged, and went in with my day.

ReformedAndDangerous on October 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Oh, Felicia. Glenn Beck is going to gobble up your slot and spit out your bones. Soon, very soon, my pretty one.

HadithHarry on October 28, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I stopped watching nancy-boy Smith when he went all teary-eyed (ruined his mascara, too) and hysterical during the Katrina coverage. His “love ya, man” creeped me out majorly! Bleah!!

coppertop on October 28, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Nothing sadder than an aging queen losing his tenuous grip on reality.

bloviator on October 28, 2009 at 12:54 PM

I will tell you right now, if Fox doesn’t fire this guy tomorrow, they are asking for more and more of this from this nutcase.

Can you imagine, working in any environment, and a worker publicly criticizes the job the company is doing that he works for!! Why, you would be fired on the spot.

Even multiple millionaire athletes know you don’t criticize the boss in public.

Talk about pompous jackass, he takes the prize.

Joe Pyne on October 28, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I never know what to expect from Shep “we don’t FN torture” Smith.

TonyR on October 28, 2009 at 12:57 PM

I don’t really care for Shep. Now I REALLY don’t like him. Is there a full version of this video? Sounds to me, like he may have intro’d the segment by saying Corzine would be on hand for an interview as well. To Shannons credit, she did say she put in several requests for an interview, and would let him know when she’d hear back from Corzine.

It’s a tad hard to be balanced, when Corzine refuses to even answer yay, or nay to an interview request. So Shep had best just stick to the teleprompter, and knock off the apologies, for something that’s completely out of any reporters hands, when Corzine won’t even answer the call.

capejasmine on October 28, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Something you read in a unbiased talking points memo, perhaps?
Adjoran on October 28, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 12:40 PM

No, all I have to do is turn on any television network not named Fox, or all the major metropolitan newspapers, every major magazine in the country, and every major university.

Liberal Bias? It’s everywhere!

Joe Pyne on October 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Shep eats paste.

warriorlawyer on October 28, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Liberal Bias? It’s everywhere!

Joe Pyne on October 28, 2009 at 1:25 PM

LOL. This is honestly my favorite claim. Liberal bias is in every single newspaper, magazine, TV network (except Fox News), and every “major” university in the United States.

Which gives you the following arguments, regardless of what they say: If any professor, reporter, or news organization says anything at all and you don’t like it – regardless of whether it has any factual basis or not, you can say, “It’s liberal bias.”

But! But! If they say something you like, then you get to say, “Even the liberal U of Chicago professor Leo Strauss says _______,” and then that “proves” what you believe even more!

You literally can’t lose! Whatever they say, you win!

Watch out, this is from a science website, and those science folks have spent a disturbing amount of time in liberal universities!

Proud Rino on October 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM

As an aside I just wanted to vent about this documentary called Outrage, which followed those who out gay politicians who have an anti-gay agenda (oppose gay marriage, gay adoption, and so on; a “hypocrisy” that justified their violation of the privacy of their subjects.

However, one of the homosexuals outed was Shep Smith. I found this odd because Shep is not a politician, nor has he supported any “anti-gay” measure of which I am aware.

He does work for Fox though, which I suppose was enough for them.

DarkKnight3565 on October 28, 2009 at 1:40 PM

I didn’t see it because several months ago I started turning the tv completely off when Shep Smith’s shows are on. KittyLowrey on October 27, 2009

Same here.

blr2449 on October 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

He’s eyes lit when he said, “if I’d been in control..” which leads me to believe he was being off the cuff sarcastic. He didn’t have a “prepared” sarcastic remark but it looked like in the back of his head that he was thinking I’d have dragged that asshat Corzine out there and got him to at least say, “I hate Fox…” to at least put up a juxtaposition. I don’t like Shep, but I don’t think he was dis’ing his colleague or the Mother Ship, IMO.

Sultry Beauty on October 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Nice labia Shep.

omnipotent on October 28, 2009 at 2:10 PM

He’s an arrogant ass. Always has been. Fox should have fired him when he tried to run over that woman reporter in Florida…

Here’s his mug shot!

rcl on October 28, 2009 at 2:47 PM

Wishing Shep to MSNBC?? A disgrace to Mississippi?? Committed journalistic malpractice while covering Katrina??

C’mon….you people sound like a right leaning version of the loons who watch MS-NBC.

AprilOrit on October 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM

This is exactly how it happened. I’d guess ‘behind the scenes’ turmoil or Shep is just a grouchy b.tard every now and then. No sign as to which. Usually Shep seems somewhat journalistic, but on occasion he snaps and goes MSNBC on his viewers. Rather strange, but might as well get used to it. As the progressives [read; fascists] take the Dem party down, the plain old liberals like Shep will struggle with the guilt and perplexity.

Griz on October 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM

“Multiple requests for interview” were unanswered… sounds like they tried, and were rejected. Only lack of balance is that of the D contender.

CLaFarge on October 28, 2009 at 4:11 PM

I think dumping Shep just plays into the lefty narrative. Fox needs to keep him — but will the guy also apologize for MSNBC & CNN’s thorough lack of balance and ABC’s cheerleading for Obamacare and trashing of Palin?

Mark30339 on October 28, 2009 at 4:38 PM

The clip starts out with him making the unequivocal statement that Corzine is going to win and then wraps it up with the “balance” BS. This is why I don’t watch him, he’s a tool. If I want that stuff I’ll watch MSNBC or bash myself on the head with a ball peen hammer.

jnelchef on October 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM

I only see Shep the 5 minutes before O’Reilly begins… Ever since his frenetic reportage during KATRINA, he has been “fingernails on my chalkboard of life”… No thanks…

Khun Joe on October 28, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Katrina brought out the liberal in Shep, said to say, and he’s fully embraced it since The One’s inauguration.

Fox should fire him. Corizine refused to be interviewed, the public deserves to hear those willing to speak and judge accordingly.

klickink.wordpress.com on October 28, 2009 at 5:32 PM

On September 7th, Shep’s program’s “On this date” feature stated that “Uncle Sam” was born on that date in 1813. This was false. (“Uncle Sam” is cited in print a year earlier.)

I submitted the truth to the program and to Fox News at several e-mail addresses, but no one was interested enough in getting things right to even respond to me.

Shep’s got to go and take all the producers and writers on that program with him!

barrypopik on October 28, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Eyeliner poisoning.
Let this be a lesson to all the young bi-curious boys.

Itchee Dryback on October 27, 2009 at 9:41 PM

This has my vote for “Winner of the thread”… seriously, funny but subtle stuff…

TBinSTL on October 28, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I saw this in context as I watched it live today, and I was appalled, but not surprised. The smug Shep “We are America, we don’t f—ing torture” Smith has been off in left field for some time now.

SynthSmith on October 28, 2009 at 8:27 PM

Thank goodness he doesn’t have the control. Just report… let us decide!

WyoMike on October 28, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Always recall Shep standing in the French Quarter after Katrina blew through, and reporting that the inch of rain water was the worst it was going to get. Then … as the world watched the levies broke and the flooding began.

Besides, he looks like the Geico lizard.

TBenton on October 28, 2009 at 11:33 PM

Shepherd Smith is such a boy. He’s a bad reporter and a worse anchor. Can’t stand the guy.

SukieTawdry on October 29, 2009 at 2:24 AM

Shep’s just ticked that he wasn’t promoted to the six o’clock hour when Brit Hume retired. He’s been a liberal toady from day one — it just became obvious during his hysterical (as in ‘hysteria’, not ‘funny’) reporting on Katrina. “My God, why doesn’t someone DO something…people are DYING here”

Uhm, Shep…you’re standing RIGHT THERE. YOU could do something a lot faster than any of your viewers, or government, or FEMA. But that’s what leftists DO. Scream that someone (else) should DO something (usually, whatever the leftist wants done) — but they wouldn’t dream of actually doing it themselves.

That’s why conservatives are more generous per capita than Ebenezers like Biden and Obama.

But once Teh Won was elected…Shep has been a non-stop boot polisher.

cwilson on October 29, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Conservatarian on October 28, 2009 at 11:13 AM

That’s how I took it, too.

Al in St. Lou on October 29, 2009 at 2:05 PM

jnelchef on October 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM

It starts out with a sarcastic statement that Corzine is going to win.

Al in St. Lou on October 29, 2009 at 2:12 PM

Most every night, I watch FOX NEWS from 5:00pm central till 10:pm central. Bret,(CNN Lou Dobbs) Bill O, Sean and then Greta. I do, however, switch from FOX to CNN to watch Lou Dobbs from 6:00 to 7:00 when shep is on.

Shep has gotten under my skin ever sense Katrina. I used to like Geraldo too, that is until he got stupid with amnesty for rewarding law breakers.

(Glenn is on too early for me to catch).

saiga on October 29, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Look for Shepard to slide over to CNN to replace Anderson Cooper, who will slide over to CBS. He’s preening for the CNN powers-that-be, that’s all. Buh bye, Shep… don’t let the door hit you in the ass.

joe btfsplk on October 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

WTF SHEP When did you lose your manhood and feel the need to PC all over the place. That was sofa king lame Shep. I used to respect you…not so much anymore. Get over the fair and balanced crap for every single story. IT aint gonna happen.

shawno on October 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I always thought ‘Shep’ was a “Shlep”. He just proved it.
Is it Fox News’ fault that Corzine can’t grow a pair?

Waldoni on October 29, 2009 at 10:51 PM