Too bad to check: NRCC sending volunteers to help Scozzafava?

posted at 7:07 pm on October 27, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via AmSpec, there’s no hard proof that it’s true but if the GOP’s willing to dump ad money into this sinking ship, why wouldn’t they dump volunteers too?

Not only is the NRCC pumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into the media campaign of Dede Scozzafava, they’re also organizing and coordinating teams of GOTV volunteers in the district. And they’re picking up the tab.

Our team just finished meeting with a NRCC volunteer named “James” who works out of the Watertown office for the Scozzafava campaign. James informed us that he was sent to Watertown, NY from Washington D.C. as a volunteer for the NRCC. We asked about expenses, and he said the NRCC was paying for everything.

We had a great chat with James and learned that a good portion of the Scozzafava campaign volunteers were indeed brought in from outside of the district.

Like I said earlier, this is probably their way of warning next year’s third-party challengers to expect a fight to the bitter end if they do something as reckless as jumping into a tight race. Fair enough — except that, in this particular case, it’s no longer the conservative who’s killing the Republican’s chance at winning, it’s the Republican who’s killing the conservative’s. And if Hoffman loses by a whisker to the Democrat, don’t think grassroots right-wingers won’t be keenly aware of whose fault it is. The GOP’s playing an increasingly destructive game here.

Are we absolutely sure that Scozzafava is bleeding votes from Hoffman and not Owens, though? By now, most of her conservative supporters have already defected, leaving nothing but a centrist rump in her camp. Which way are those people likely to break if forced to choose — for the Democrat, or for the guy whose supporters have been relentlessly dumping on their candidate of choise as not even worthy of the name RINO? When it comes to her quitting, maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What are we going to name the new party?

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

THE ROGUE PARTY.

Geochelone on October 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM

X10!

gary4205 on October 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I still hope we can all put aside our petty grievances and support the Republican nominee, Dom DeLuise.

SagebrushPuppet on October 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM

This is the GOP throwing NY-23 to the wolves to make their point about the direction they think the party should take. It doesn’t matter what the voters want.

Connie on October 27, 2009 at 7:40 PM

A “the bastards are going have to hold their noses” moment? If true they clearly still don’t get why McCain lost in 2008. And I, for one, am through with being ignored.

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Don’t sweat this – I don’t think Scozz is bleeding votes from Hoffman anymore – she may be sucking them from Owens.

The GOP can send PAID volunteers into NY-23 and they’ll get a few to go.

But Hoffman already has hundreds that came into the district to help him out with no one covering their bills.

Intensity – it beats $$

HondaV65 on October 27, 2009 at 7:45 PM

“Welcome here to your house, which you’re letting me live in for a while.” How different from the current filthy lying coward how infests the place and refers to it as his house. Just sayin’

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Can’t think of a greater contrast.

fourdeucer on October 27, 2009 at 7:47 PM

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 7:41 PM

Sorry, it may be true that the GOP “left us” but there’s a better chance to start over with an new party (I’m serious) than there is to reform the GOP. IF we start NOW we may not win in ’09 or even in ’10 but by ’12 we’ll have a real shot!

Get the “tea=party-iers” the Glenn Beck audience some libertarians (who think abortion is murder) and some Reagan democrats who really don’t want marxism and it can be done!!

The Whigs never thought they’d be “history” . . .

And even if that doesn;t work it may be the only thing that gets the attention of the GOP “blue-bloods”

Palin/ Rubio = Conservative Party in ’12!

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM

why am I not surprised…

cmsinaz on October 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Allah, Shut up! Go write something nasty about Sarah Palin or Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck or …..

julian on October 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I figure it is maybe an attempt to scare potential Rubio supporters as well. That race still has 15 points seperating them but maybe they think this will help protect their annointed one in Florida, the floater Crist.

bluemarlin on October 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM

It thrills me to stick these in the mailbox.

Onager on October 27, 2009 at 7:43 PM

I’m with you there, put 2 in the mail today with “I will not support RINO and DIABLO candidates” written on them. Maybe they will figure it out if eneough of us do it. Starve the RINO beast!

farright on October 27, 2009 at 7:49 PM

I just moved out of Oregon, in part because they were stupid enough to raise my taxes during a recession, but that’s for a different post. At any rate, I will be registering to vote and, for the first time in 31 years, my wife and I will not be registering as republicans. I will support the conservative candidate regardless of party. If the GOP cleans out the progressive liberal RINOs, I might consider returning.

ClanDerson on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Can’t wait to throw away the next unopened letter from the RNC.

jukin on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

I’m writing a check to the NRCC for $0.00. In the memo line, “Dede Scozzafava.”

Red Cloud on October 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Then send them another one, actually a copy of one, that shows $20,000 made payable to the Club for Growth (even if it’s a fake), with a note in the memo line that says, “Hoffman”.

That’ll really eff up their brunch at the club tomorrow.

TXUS on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

jukin on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

just threw mine out last night…

cmsinaz on October 27, 2009 at 7:52 PM

The only poll that counts is on Election Day. However, Intrade is pretty close:

Democrat-45% chance of winning

Republican- 5% chance of winning

Other (Hoffman)- 50% chance of winning

Please note, it’s not generally accurate until there has been about 2,000 trades.

patch on October 27, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Where is BoomBoom these days? AP?

JeffinOrlando on October 27, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Admiring her “twins” in the mirror.

1921 C DRUM on October 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Sure, let’s dump all those resources onto a guaranteed loser.

‘Cause, y’know, elections have consequences.

spmat on October 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I hope these “volunteers” come face-to-face with the entire Palin Clan (including Grampa Heath) on a Halloween Eve on a road into a small town. Go watch the end of Sam Peckinpah’s Wild Bunch if you want to see where I’m goin’ with this….

DanOwillbookem on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

More reason than ever to cut off funds to RNCC and GOP and donate directly to the best candidate. No more feeding the monster!!

ihasurnominashun on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

What are we going to name the new party?
rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Why over-think this; what’s wrong with the Conservative Party?

That way we’ll have one party for liberals, one for us, and one for all those “hard-core moderate” voters out there.

(Oh, and will whoever is the last one to leave the RNC please turn out the lights?)

logis on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

What are we going to name the new party?

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Losers.

Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM

The GOP in a slap fight with Conservatives.

What could go wrong? I wonder if a Conservative network donation site and a bunch of newly minted Conservative independents would work?

Speakup on October 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM

ClanDerson on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

If you’ve moved to Florida, please register as Republicans so you can vote for Rubio in the primary if you’re so inclined!

Marybeth on October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I can not believe that the NRCC is so stupid…

I suggest that whoever gets to vote on the administration of that organization start to work on booting those dolts out as well.

Purge might actually be the right thing… thanks for the idea, Newt.

PhilipJames on October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Sorry but it is easier to kick out the moneychangers than create a new party. The American political system is really a two-party system. To create a new party, those leaving the GOP would have to find common ground with who?- Ron Paul’s idiots? There simply isn’t a good coalition so we need to marginalize the liberals currently ruining the GOP instead of abandoning them to their Democrat-lite agenda. I’d suggest a grassroots effort to make it clear what kind of candidate is acceptable.

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

turn out the lights?)

logis on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Shades of Don Meredith “Turn out the lights the party’s over”!

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 8:00 PM

I’m writing a check to the NRCC for $0.00. In the memo line, “Dede Scozzafava.”

Red Cloud on October 27, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Worthless or not, do you really want to give the NRCC something with your checking account number and address on it? Just sayin.

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 8:01 PM

Why?

It is clear that Hoffman is the better candidate yet they insist on supporting Dede.

I guess that’s like Obama stumping for Deeds today. Appearances.

petunia on October 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

NOT gonna happen!!! Look, we beat down “amnesty” — It’s back! We elected a nice man — “compassionate conservatism” — we got bailouts! We supported the victory in Iraq — we’re giving up in Afghanistan (with GOP help in congress!)

RNC = Democrat lite already — it’s infested! Not gonna be fixed — has to be defeated!

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 8:06 PM

I guess that’s like Obama stumping for Deeds today. Appearances.

petunia on October 27, 2009 at 8:03 PM

That extra large pink pantsuit is a better candidate than the woman wearing it. I’m going with the idea that this is the GOP leadership sending the message that they and their agenda won’t be messed with by conservatives. Lotsa luck with that.

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM

This is weapons grade stupidity. The Republican party is officially a steaming turd.

tetriskid on October 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM

highhopes on October 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM

My point exactly!

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Never underestimate the power of brand name recognition. Even with all the attention that is going on, there still plenty of would-be Hoffman voters who are thinking of pulling the lever for Scozzafava just because she is their party’s nominee. Look at Newt Gingrich. This is why it would be wise to focus on attacking Owens from now on and pick up Scozzafava voters by making yourself look like the frontrunner.

Also, I would rather have Hoffman win with Scozzafava in the race to send one hell of a message to the RNC, even if that message falls on deaf ears.

Daemonocracy on October 27, 2009 at 8:11 PM

And I, for one, am through with being ignored.

Well, do I have good news for you! There are at least TWO of us.

oldleprechaun on October 27, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Ssssssssscooooooooozzzzzzzzzzaaaaaaaafffffffffffffaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvvvvvvaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Seven Percent Solution on October 27, 2009 at 8:16 PM

What are we going to name the new party?

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

The ‘Cuda Party.

1921 C DRUM on October 27, 2009 at 8:17 PM

If volunteers were tanks I think we’d be seeing our own tiananmen square. I see this as a pure power play by someone high up feeling their power threatened.

Who will be our tank man?

clement on October 27, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Unbelievable. Unforgiveable. I guess this is history being made, in a way. The NRCC is history.

rrpjr on October 27, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I tend to agree with your thinking on this one Allahpundit. If she stays in she is more likely to split the Dem vote rather than the Conservative vote. Somehow I don’t think this is the GOP’s or NRCC’s intention. But if thats’s how the cookie crumbles…I’ll take it.

lwssdd on October 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

The whole top echelon of the Republican national political machine must go, starting with that idiot Michael Steele. Enough incompetence from these worms.

progressoverpeace on October 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

Geez, take a deep breath and claim down, guys. Can’t you see that a Republican GOTV effort is going to help Hoffman? It’s not like the volunteers will be equipped with RINOmeters. They will show up in traditional Republican neighborhoods and get Republican-leaning voters to the booths. The majority of them will probably go with Hoffman. Just because the volunteers are there to help ostensibly the official Republican candidate doesn’t mean they’ll hurt the chance of the unofficial one.

year_of_the_dingo on October 27, 2009 at 8:44 PM

Can’t wait to throw away the next unopened letter from the RNC.

jukin on October 27, 2009 at 7:51 PM

Using a tip I picked up on HA, I put a picture of DeDe in the postage paid envelope and told them no way was my money going to support another Democrat-lite.

BitterClinger on October 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM

SagebrushPuppet on October 27, 2009 at 7:44 PM

I was thinking more like Leslie West, circa ’68.

1921 C DRUM on October 27, 2009 at 8:55 PM

progressoverpeace on October 27, 2009 at 8:36 PM

It’s going beyond incompetence and into the realm of outright disrespect for the Republican voter.

HondaV65 on October 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM

BitterClinger on October 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM

More of this please! Stay bitter, keep clinging!

Kenosha Kid on October 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM

HondaV65 on October 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM

You’re right, Honda. Contempt, even.

progressoverpeace on October 27, 2009 at 9:09 PM

Starve the RNC and NRCC of contributions. Kill the RINO enabler.

Contribute to individual candidates.’

wildcat84 on October 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM

The fact that she needs NRCC help with GOTV volunteers shows that the base of the GOP is most definitely not on board with her candidacy. I think in general that is what is going to be the problem for the GOP leadership and the NRCC/NRSC moving forward to 2010 and 2012.

Its all well and good to say that the party needs to be a bit more moderate in order to attract more independent voters but the thing is that unless the Conservative base of the party is willing to donate and volunteer to GOTV on behalf of candidates the GOP is going to have a hard time establishing a strong ground campaign against the Democrat’s and their ACORN/SEIU goon squads.

Hellrider on October 27, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Starve the RNC and NRCC of contributions. Kill the RINO enabler.

Contribute to individual candidates.’

wildcat84 on October 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Wildcat u got it so right. Those jerks get paid a percent off the top of all contributions and if they can’t get paid tthey will ‘see the light’.

Sad that politics is like that but you have to hit where it does the most good.

jarhead0311 on October 27, 2009 at 9:25 PM

The decision to keep throwing resources at Scozzafava in the face of such an enormous backlash by the national conservative base is indicative of a bigger problem, obviously: the failure of GOP leadership and the commitment of that leadership to Republican principles–well, okay, two problems. GOP legislative gains in 2010 largely depend on the ability of the national party to allocate resources in such a way as to exploit opposition weakness and maximize Republican advantage, particularly in closely contested districts. So what is the advantage gained here? And commitment? Please. The GOP cannot successfully challenge Blue Dogs in purple states if we’re fielding candidates ideologically aligned to their left.

GOP leadership evidently hopes to broaden party appeal to (presumably) moderate independents, believing they can safely alienate the conservative base. Where else, they wonder, can conservatives go? It probably never occurred to any of them to embrace conservative principles, brand the Republican Party as the conservative alternative, and use the gravity of conservative ideas to draw the middle to us.

troyriser_gopftw on October 27, 2009 at 9:31 PM

BitterClinger on October 27, 2009 at 8:52 PM

For some reason, I have not been able to stop laughing at this mental image.

good on you!

Marybeth on October 27, 2009 at 9:33 PM

THE ROGUE PARTY.

Geochelone on October 27, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Heh.

Jaibones on October 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM

If they have the audacity to pull such a moronic stunt, good G-d help them. I donate to local candidates cherry picked to my standards now, not national. I have never seen so many blind politicians and party hacks thinking they can run a race that is over for them. No more. No more McCains, but NEVER any more RINOS. I’m done.

24K lady on October 27, 2009 at 9:44 PM

It’s my sincere hope that,for the good of the country and the Republican party, we can join together in supporting the Republican candidate, Annie Wilkes.

SagebrushPuppet on October 27, 2009 at 9:55 PM

GOP = Party of conservatism.

True_King on October 27, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Oh. My. Gosh! I had that same dream!

But sadly I woke up to the reality.

pannw on October 27, 2009 at 9:58 PM

These fools just signed there more money death warrant .Thay don,t listen they don,t care what we think all they want is our money and then for all of us to just shut up.

thmcbb on October 27, 2009 at 10:21 PM

GOP lock steppers are NEVER going to learn, the day of the RINO is over, you WILL be extinct or the GOP will be extinct.

nelsonknows on October 27, 2009 at 11:12 PM

What are we going to name the new party?

rebuzz on October 27, 2009 at 7:30 PM

It has already been named by natural means. Did you not notice the 1-2 million of us at The Capitol on 9-12? They call themselves, Tea Party! I am a Tea Partier.

sweet pea on October 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Wouldn’t surprise me given the lack of support of the GOP for Sarah Palin. They want all of this pork and power (courtesy of the Democrats) so they can benefit and blame the opposition, shrug their shoulders and move on like they have been since the Great Society scams of the ’60s came about.

Not even Reagan fundamentally challenged these Socialist programs, but merely nitpicked and cut spending for trivial programs that save the American taxpayer little.

Status quo.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 28, 2009 at 1:08 AM

tetriskid on October 27, 2009 at 8:07 PM

No comment, just too good not to quote.

Post if the day?

gary4205 on October 28, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Dear NRC.

Not one thin dime will I contribute to the Republicain party as long as this sort of stupidity continues.

G.S.Donovan

P.S. Just kicked Hoffman a donation.

gdonovan on October 28, 2009 at 5:51 AM

They are funding her from DC, running her phone banks and sending campaign ground troops. Anyone notice that Palin asked for donations to be sent to the Repub Govs Association and not the RNC in her post about Virginia and NJ? Hmmmm.

Others are jumping ship….and supporting Hoffman

njpat on October 28, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Losers.

Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM

There’s a term for people who stay in abusive relationships.

MarkTheGreat on October 28, 2009 at 8:48 AM

I can not believe that the NRCC is so stupid…

PhilipJames on October 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Does the name Linc Chafee ring a bell?

Wade on October 28, 2009 at 8:57 AM

The RINOs and Whigs who run the NRCC know what we know–that the battle is on for control of the “opposition party.” So its not surprising at all that they have doubled down on Scuzzy-fevah. We and they are competitors, not allies. There can be only one opposition party, them or us.

The only thing that is surprising is that any conservative would continue to send money to the NRCC, the NRC, Newt’s PAC or any other RINO or Whig organization, because they immediately use our dollars against conservatives. That is stuck on stupid.

james23 on October 28, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Huh. And Newt was pooping all over Bennett this morn about his endorsement only supporting the local party’s selection.

I almost believed him for about a second.

Akzed on October 28, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I agree with Rush that our efforts should be focused on taking back the Republican Party. Here’s my question: What if we fail? Do we keep hammering at that wall until we die of old age or do we, at some point, walk away from that wall and begin to build anew? And how will we know that time is nigh? Some suggest the time is now, but I disagree. I think there’s still hope for the old pachyderm.
Now, we already know that Dem-lites lose to real Dem’s, but the Republican leadership continues to beat that dead horse like it will get a different result “this time”. It won’t but they aren’t listening to us. The only power we have is in our votes and our money and the GOP desperately wants both. Do not blindly support the GOP or any of their fundraising entities. Directly support your chosen candidate and vote your principles, not their lack of principles. It’s all we’ve got and we have to use it. A lack of funds will finally drive the RINO leadership into their deserved oblivion. Then, if we are smart, we can take charge and move the party in the “right” direction.

SKYFOX on October 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

SKYFOX on October 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Would you fight or go home?
Would you rather die as a FREE man or live on your knees?
Every generation is asked the same question. What will you answer?
It is a time for choosing.
This is our Rendezvous With Destiny!

Blacksmith8 on October 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

SKYFOX on October 28, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Failure is not an option! As Shakespeare once said, “Screw your courage to the sticking post and you will not fail.”

Blacksmith8 on October 28, 2009 at 10:22 AM

We did answer Reagan’s call. We did have a rendezvous with destiny and we won. But we forgot what damage RINO’s can do to our destiny. We nominated Bush 41, Dole, Bush 43 and McCain. We did not choose well. The RINO’s came back with a vengeance and we let them. It is a time for choosing and we must be ever vigilent to choose well. We haven’t been doing that for the longest time.

BetseyRoss on October 28, 2009 at 11:18 AM

I’ve said it before. If Conservatives break from the Republican party, Democrats will laugh all the way to the polls. Do you guys really want 8 years of Obama?

HeroesforGhosts on October 28, 2009 at 12:34 PM

When it comes to her quitting, maybe we should be careful what we wish for.

I hate this wishy-washy stuff. It’s about ‘principles’ AP, not about strategic planning. People should vote for the person who most represents their ideals. What do the polls say is the most popular political ideology? Liberalism? Is this a Liberal section of NY or is if the people registered as Democrats here are they more likely to be Blue Dog Democrats or Liberals? Grab your cajones and sit tight and let the Big Boys in the grassroots show you how it’s done. Listen to teh Fred! He’s got it going on.

OT: Rush said that he heard from his brother that the lady’s Happy Support, Mr. Newt, is traveling around with Howard Dean talking about Health Care Reform. Yea, that’s who we wanna listen to for sure, eh? We should just all get behind the NRCC because it makes really GOOD choices. Heh! Pfft…

Sultry Beauty on October 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM