Global warming goes … vegan

posted at 9:30 am on October 27, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

If people want a glimpse of what the world will be like with global-warming hysterics in charge, Lord Stern of Brentford lets the veil slip in an interview with the Times of London.  Stern admits that the upcoming Copenhagen talks would produce a pact on energy usage that would send the cost of meat “soaring.”  That suits Stern just fine, because he wants to push the world into vegetarianism anyway:

People will need to consider turning vegetarian if the world is to conquer climate change, according to a leading authority on global warming.

In an interview with The Times, Lord Stern of Brentford said: “Meat is a wasteful use of water and creates a lot of greenhouse gases. It puts enormous pressure on the world’s resources. A vegetarian diet is better.” …

Lord Stern, the author of the influential 2006 Stern Review on the cost of tackling global warming, said that a successful deal at the Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in December would lead to soaring costs for meat and other foods that generate large quantities of greenhouse gases.

He predicted that people’s attitudes would evolve until meat eating became unacceptable. “I think it’s important that people think about what they are doing and that includes what they are eating,” he said. “I am 61 now and attitudes towards drinking and driving have changed radically since I was a student. People change their notion of what is responsible. They will increasingly ask about the carbon content of their food.”

Climate change is just another lever for the same old busybodies to run people’s lives.  Lord Stern explains that his tastes and philosophy have changed since he was a student — and assumes therefore he has the right to dictate everyone else’s choices.  Global-warming hysterics want to use this as an excuse to gain control and power for their idea of a benevolent despotism.

The health-care overhaul debate in the US has the same dynamics.  Its advocates want to control the delivery of health care and make it more public in order to use it to insert themselves into private choices.  Call it “creeping elitism,” but it’s creeping from all directions these days.

Seven hundred years ago, man farmed and raised cows and pigs on the entire island of Greenland.  When they do that again, perhaps I’ll worry about bovine flatulence as a global threat.  Until then, I consider creeping elitism from horse’s asses a much more elitist threat than methane from cow’s butts.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Didn’t you read the post the other day about keeping cats and dogs as pets? No more cats and dogs! You need to have pets like chickens or other edible animals! A medium size dog has the carbon footprint of a car, and causes global warming! Don’t you know anything?!!!!
Save the planet!
/sarc

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Kill your dog. Save a polar bear.

TXUS on October 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Other sources of vitamin B12 are fortified soy milk, meat analogues (food made from wheat gluten or soybeans to resemble meat, poultry, or fish), and vitamin B12 supplements that do not contain animal products.

Dark-Star on October 27, 2009 at 11:01 AM

Fail:

Why a vegetarian diet may leave a man less fertile

Ha ha. I know it’s the daily mail, but soy products are notorius for playing havok with the reproductive system’s hormone production.

More on that…

Now that’s only concerning reproduction.
Let’s get real here people: homo sapien is not an herbivore. We are OMNIVORES.
We are part of the food chain as is the omnivorous BEAR.
No body is telling bears they have to become vegans.
We are meant to eat meat. And vegetables.
But not one exclusively.
Denying your biological heritage is literal suicide.

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Not true. It was some coastal regions. Still, regions which have been under ice for centuries since the vikings were farmining.

burt on October 27, 2009 at 10:36 AM

And they disappeared bcs of their European cultural practice in not eating the abundant nearby resource of fish in favor of the beef they produced.
As funny as it sounds, they had to move bcs the island couldn’t support their cattle.

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Kill your dog. Save a polar bear.

TXUS on October 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Wonder what the carbon footprint of a pet polar bear is….

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM

Given that the “best” way to conserve land would be to leave it uncultivated, city dwellers do a pretty good job of conservation for their part. It’s those darn suburbanites…

Bleeds Blue on October 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Are you a range scientist now?
Leaving land “uncultivated” or undisturbed gives you STERILE UNPRODUCTIVE land.
This is a huge problem with people not involved or knowledgeable in agriculture.
Seriously-you have no clue what you are saying here.
As I said earlier on this thread:
WALK A MILE IN MY BOOTS BEFORE YOU OPEN YOUR PIE HOLE.

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM

So what is Al Gore up to lately anyway?

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM

No, I refuse to take government Beano.

yoda on October 27, 2009 at 1:44 PM

As far as I’m concerned, the only justification for there being a federal government in this country is to force you to take Beano. I’m a registered Beano Party member. And as a delegate to our next national convention, I can assure you that you are our top priority. And we have plants working for us everywhere. And they all have your picture. We must save this planet! So, there is no doubt in my mind that we will end Yoda flatulence. Someday.

Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Wonder what the carbon footprint of a pet polar bear is….

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM

About as much as 10 mid-size dogs, I figure.

Paging Michael Vick. Your planet needs you. -_*

TXUS on October 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM

I wonder what the carbon footprint of a vegan anti theist is? Stop global warming by eating all the vegans.

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Don’t eat the polar bears livers. They are toxic many times over.

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM

You know-I am really fuming here about ignorance pertaining to agricultural methods.
There are some bad stewards of the land-no doubt.
But those of us who depend upon the land to make a living are the best environmentalists you will ever find on the planet.
Bleeds Blue’s ignorant comment about leaving land alone is good conservation is about the stupidest thing I’ve heard all day. And I teach HS kids-so that’s really an accomplishment in stupidity.
I am not a rancher, I ama grass farmer when it comes down to it.
My husband & I have instituted rotational grazing practices that have doubled & even tripled our forage growth in many of our pastures.
The quarter CRP right next door to me hasn’t been “cultivated” in over ten years. Not even grazed.
And it’s a sterile wasteland of fire kindling.
Nothing lives or goes to eat in it.
I’ve personally ridden my horse across it over the years & all the animals are eating-eating where you say?
ON MY LAND where stuff is GROWING.
Our management of the land makes it possible for the pheasants, the rabbits, the birds, the deer, the antelope etc. to EAT.
They don’t eat from the STERILE WOOD KINDLING that has become CRP (Conservation Reserve Program land-paid for by your US GOVT-albeit, highly erodable cropland which should have been pasture in the 1st place).
Arg! I’m so sick of stupid people making comments about ag that know nothing about it!
Vent over……

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Don’t eat the polar bears livers. They are toxic many times over.

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 2:34 PM

mmmm… liver with a little chianti.

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I lived in San Francisco and rode the Muni trains, buses and BART all the time, but those are workable solutions there, not necessarily here in our area. Maybe one of these days, but this area is very property poor and we just don’t have the tax base to afford that type of infrastructure at this time.

And lastly, they have no right to lecture us on anything.

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 1:41 PM

You see, one of the problems I’ve often encountered with liberals is that some just don’t understand that not everything in the world is identically the same. Like urban and suburban and rural areas have those different names not just to increase the size of your vocabulary, but because they are sort of different.

And the northeast is called the northeast because it’s not the southwest. And vice versa. For some mysterious reason. But no. Not to many liberals.

What’s most amazing is that when it comes to their own lifestyle choices, they really get it that it’s nobody’s business unless you happen to agree with them in which case, voila!, you prove one another’s cases. But, for the rest of us idiots, it’s one size fits all, their way or the highway.

However, I will give them this. If you disagree with them, they don’t call you a LINO (Liberal in Name Only) or a squish or mushy or any number of other things like conservatives and Republicans often scream at one another when they disagree with one another like practically all of the time. Nope. Everything is so easy. It’s really quite simple. You’re a fascist. See? Even a child can do it. I can. And I;m a child. So, voila! I proved it.

Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 3:04 PM

Somewhere I’ve heard that they have lower reproductive rates and lower brain function/activity.

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM

And I’m sure they’ve heard the same about you. Seriously, you talk about how people should walk a mile in your shoes but don’t even bother spending a second in anyone else’s. Do you even know any vegans?

I’m sorry, but if God wanted us to eat yeast powder, fortified cereal and meat analogues he wouldn’t have created real food.

BigD on October 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM

And if God wanted us to fly he’d have given us wings. We’re going against God by sitting in one of those metal birds!

Bleeds Blue on October 27, 2009 at 11:31 AM

Covering up land in concrete is leaving it alone and preserving it?

It’s city dwellers who flee to the suburbs.

Esthier on October 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM

Kill your dog. Save a polar bear.

TXUS on October 27, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Wonder what the carbon footprint of a pet polar bear is….

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 2:22 PM

It won’t matter after everyone is eaten by their pet polar bear.

4shoes on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Here. Take this. It’s a gift. Mushy peas be with you.

What you do with it, I leave up to you.

Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Heh, I showed it to my 6yr old who said, “Ehg, I wouldn’t eat that!”

4shoes on October 27, 2009 at 3:46 PM

The recent history of consensuses is pretty bad .. global cooling in 1975, high-fat foods will kill you in 1988, WMD in Iraq in 2003, and today, AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming). Everyone knew they were true, but no one could actually prove it conclusively. There was, and still is, little or no hard science to back up these claims, but everyone knows, or at least knew, them to be true.

J_Crater on October 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Amen.

And a side note, I guessed you were a guy.

4shoes on October 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM

It won’t matter after everyone is eaten by their pet polar bear.

4shoes on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

Wonder how much methane gas they would give off then?!

Susanboo on October 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Is Arugula vegan?

MeatHeadinCA on October 27, 2009 at 4:21 PM

Poetry Ed, pure poetry.

Blacksmith8 on October 27, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Badger40
Thanks for explaining way better than I about the hardships and blessings of living on the land, and the stewardship involved. My heart goes out to all those that do and in awe of the dedication. My brother in law and sister in law live on a ranch and I simply don’t know how they do it? They raise sheep and cattle, which is in and of itself a juggling act. They often comment that ranching is the only profession where you sweat blood and tears to keep your place going only to end up holding your hand out at the end of the year and asking, “what will somebody pay me for them.” God’s blessings and again, thank you.

O/T – everytime I’ve visited HotAir today I’ve had to redo sign in? Usually leave it signed in. Anyone else having the problem?

24K lady on October 27, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I’m a registered Beano Party member
Loxodonta on October 27, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Darn, I’ve been blaming my gas on my Terrier for years, so now I must start taking Gobermint Beano!

yoda on October 27, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Badger40 on October 27, 2009 at 2:20 PM

Actually, by 1300 80% of their diet was from seafood. And when the Norsemen first arrived, 20% was from seafood, which is still quite a lot. Scandinavians have always been big on fish (and seabirds, whales, shellfish…).

jic on October 27, 2009 at 6:55 PM

We butcher approx. 300 million beef critters per year in America for consumption both here and abroad….I would say Americans are doing their part to combat gorbal warming!!
Randy

jrandall on October 27, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Dang and we killed all those buffalo and we still have global warming!

sonnyspats1 on October 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Oh my, so how am I going to feed my dog and cats? They love meat – plus they flatulate themselves at times too. So now pets are out too, huh, man what is the world coming too? Crazy……

wubu on October 27, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Dang and we killed all those buffalo and we still have global warming!

sonnyspats1 on October 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Indeed. Once we kill all of the cows, pigs, and chickens, we should start with the polar bears and elephants. It would also help to eliminate all insects, since they, by themselves, outproduce humans and our machines in terms of greenhouse gases.

Sure, a world without life is boring, but we must save the environment!

hawksruleva on October 27, 2009 at 9:42 PM

My doberman farts more than any animal I have ever encountered. I refuse to eat my flatulent doggie & I also refuse to stop eating flatulent cows and pigs. We are meat eaters; as God intended!! Yummers.

Ris4victory on October 27, 2009 at 9:43 PM

J_Crater on October 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

Shhh. The left never looks at its history of mistakes. What’s crazy is, how can they ALWAYS be wrong? It’s almost like they don’t even care about solving the world’s problems. But that’s silly.

hawksruleva on October 27, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Liberals should not be allowed to have “liber” as part of their moniker.

liber (1) -era -erum [free , independent, unrestrained; free from, exempt]. Adv. libere, [freely, without restraint, frankly, openly, boldly].

They are so anti-freedom and pro-control it is disgusting.

CWforFreedom on October 27, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Anyone else want to invest with me in caves and grass seeds…?

Because while these elitists are living in mansions, flying private jets, and eating Kobe beef…

… we will be naked in caves, and eating grass.

Seven Percent Solution on October 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

The entitlement class will soon use their food-stamps to purchase tofu??

Bahahahaha!

TN Mom on October 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Taco Night!!

tbear44 on October 27, 2009 at 11:11 PM

For Obama and Congress: Wagyu steaks, pate de fois gras, private jets and Cadillac Health Plans.

For the hoi polloi: alfalfa sprouts and lettuce (soylent green?), overcrowded public transportation which will run late and slow and smell like french fries (running on vegetable oil) and government run health plans.

MaiDee on October 27, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Warning to environmental wackos. If you succeed in banning meat you are whats for dinner. What kind of wine do you serve with vegan?

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 11:32 PM

Invest in BBQ sauce and bullet futures.

Jerricho68 on October 27, 2009 at 11:35 PM

In an interview with The Times, Lord Stern of Brentford probably sat on a leather chair, wearing fine leather shoes, and sporting a leather belt!

TN Mom on October 27, 2009 at 11:41 PM

solyent green (bacon flavored)

jrandall on October 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM

He predicted that sane people’s attitudes would evolve until bossy asshats became unacceptable. “I think it’s important that people think about what they are doing and that includes who is bloviating what nonsense,” he said. “I am 61 now and attitudes towards drinking and driving have changed radically since I was a student. People change their notion of what is acceptable from know-it-alls.

MarkT on October 27, 2009 at 11:44 PM

People Eating Tasty Animals.

Mmmmmmm……

Johan Klaus on October 28, 2009 at 12:37 AM

Sounds like its a good time to develop some recipes. LordStern on a stick kabobs? Or any other idiot at these Climate Change talks in Copenhagen that pushes this legislation?

WhoTF* ARE these b*astardios that want to run our lives. Who the hell died and made them God? On what authority do they act? Will the USA go along with this crap and hand over our lives to them? I say woe betide any US politician that agrees to it. Maybe we should all be inundating the White HOuse with phone calls and emails about this? What you say? we’ve all been busy on this piddling healthcare issue. Hmm.

fullogas on October 28, 2009 at 2:39 AM

And let’s go the next step and turn off the immune system!

It harms poor, helpless alien bacteria and viruses!

(Which is the same ‘ideology’ as AIDS.)

How dare we be alive!

profitsbeard on October 28, 2009 at 3:05 AM

The recent history of consensuses is pretty bad .. global cooling in 1975, … AGW (Anthropogenic Global Warming).

J_Crater on October 27, 2009 at 3:47 PM

From what I understand, the same bloke who told us we were going into an ice-age in the 70s is peppling global warming today. I wish some journo would ask him some tough questions on that.

Hope on October 28, 2009 at 3:33 AM

If we’re out to eliminate things, I pick Lord Stern of Brentford, rather than my Labrador Retriever or a New York strip or Porterhouse.

Jeff from WI on October 28, 2009 at 5:33 AM

I say we try to find a tribe of cannibals and hand them Lord Stern for a snack.

Jeff from WI on October 28, 2009 at 7:25 AM

Esthier on October 27, 2009 at 3:13 PM

God gave us brains that allowed us the create airplanes so that we could fly.

RagTag on October 28, 2009 at 7:35 AM

… we will be naked in caves, and eating grass.

Seven Percent Solution on October 27, 2009 at 10:19 PM

I expect they will also be very protected because it would be real easy to pick them out and raid their stuff. I guess they want the old castle and walled cities back because it will be the only way they will survive the wrath of the cave people.

RagTag on October 28, 2009 at 7:40 AM

We need animal proteins for brain function. I often wonder what decades of a vegan diet will do to the intelligence of the person on it. I know many vegans, some are very sweet and sincere, but misguided, and some are militant and annoying. I know one person who is going to stop being friends with meat eaters, she will be a very lonely person. By the way, she is not the most intelligent person I’ve ever met, not even close….

Ann NY on October 28, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Save the planet….eat a liberal.

yobobbyb on October 28, 2009 at 9:20 AM

We can reduce our carbon footprint by eating less beef, which is certainly true. But the question remains, what of the literally billions of people for whom rice is an everyday food essential.

Two foods stood out from the pack as far worse than the others: Per pound eaten, rice creates 276 pounds of CO2 , and beef 11.5 pounds of CO2 per pound. Compare that with cheese (1.64 pounds), chicken (0.5 pounds), or soy (0.04 pounds).

Because the soil is kept underwater, rice cultivation emits methane, which is 20 times more potent as a greenhouse gas than CO2. I’ve ranked it by its CO2 equivalence.

Shilohcane on October 28, 2009 at 11:35 AM

Global Warming is a religion.

It’s a reincarnation of Pagan Druidism with a twist. They’ve since added Communist elements.

Their goal is to take control of our lives, they are protected from retaliation for now because describing them sounds so preposterous as to be unbelievable.

I am at a loss of how to fight an enemy that wounds and discredits me by the mere identification of that enemy.

scotash on October 29, 2009 at 2:53 AM