Video: Scozzafava accepts Margaret Sanger Award

posted at 11:38 am on October 26, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How much of a “Reagan Republican” is Dede Scozzafava, running as the endorsed Republican candidate in the NY23 special Congressional election? Maybe Newt Gingrich should have done a little more research before jumping into this race with both feet — or better yet, that’s what the county GOP officials who put their heads together to come up with Scozzafava in the first place should have done. It’s one thing to be pro-choice out of a sense of libertarianism, but another entirely to be a Margaret Sanger acolyte … and March 2008 award winner:

As Kathryn Jean Lopez says, Congress hardly needs another Sanger fan. After the Mona Lisa Project exposed so many of these Planned Parenthood offices as lawbreakers and exploiters of potentially abused young girls for profit, this connection should have been a red flag to the GOP.

Update: This got covered by Michelle last week, and by Madison Conservative in our Green Room.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Drop her like a hot potato, RNC, or you’ll only have yourself for the embarrassment of her 3rd place finish.

SouthernGent on October 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

The LA Times now has a story out saying that Newt may be positioning himself for a run in 2012. Heckuva start there Newt.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

Go ahead, GOP, shoot yourself in the foot..Idiots.

kingsjester on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I can’t believe there’s an award named after that woman.

Rosmerta on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

What’s the next reveal? ACORNer of the Year 2007?

LibTired on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

All the bogus cries of “Racist!” water down the word for when we really do meet a genuine racist like Sanger. Why would anyone accept an award that bears her name?

pedestrian on October 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Next she’ll come out in favor of ethnic cleansing.

UltimateBob on October 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

is this shoe #2..huh Newt?

moonbatkiller on October 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

What’s the next reveal? ACORNer of the Year 2007?

LibTired on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

Dede is the Great Cornholio!

thomasaur on October 26, 2009 at 11:43 AM

“Abort-o-con” has a certain ring to it.

What kind of Republican does this complete idiot appeal to, exactly?

Democrat-Republicans?

That’s a new one.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

*cough*

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

I can’t wait to get the next NRCC donation request. It will be returned in their prepaid envelope with Scuzzafava writen on it in red marker.

farright on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Hoffman now leading, Scozzafava in 3rd according to C4G polling.

Hoffman – 31.3%
Owens – 27.0%
Scozzafava – 19.7%
22% undecided

+/- 5.66%

Oct. 24-25

Red Cloud on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

What kind of Republican does this complete idiot appeal to, exactly?
Democrat-Republicans?
That’s a new one.
NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:44 AM

Nothing new. Terryonline and AprilOrit have been around here for quite a while.

kingsjester on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Next she’ll come out in favor of ethnic cleansing.

UltimateBob on October 26, 2009 at 11:42 AM

That’s pretty much what the Sanger award is for, isn’t it?

jwolf on October 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM

eh; it’s a stepping stone… first the Sanger Award, then the Mengele… eventually she’ll do so little as to qualify for a Nobel.

hindmost on October 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Here’s the proper quote, BTW:

“How small of all that human hearts endure, That part which laws or kings can cause or cure! Still to ourselves in every place consigned, Our own felicity we make or find. With secret course, which no loud storms annoy, Glides the smooth current of domestic joy.”

Dr. Samuel Johnson.

Not sure why she’d be quoting Samuel Johnson, since unlike her, he was actually a conservative.

mcg on October 26, 2009 at 11:46 AM

it’s time for Scozzafava to drop out or face an embarrassing defeat!

Washington – A poll released today by the Club for Growth shows Conservative Party candidate Doug Hoffman surging into the lead in the special election in New York’s 23rd congressional district to replace John McHugh, the former congressman who recently became Secretary of the Army.

The poll of 300 likely voters, conducted October 24-25, 2009, shows Conservative Doug Hoffman at 31.3%, Democrat Bill Owens at 27.0%, Republican Dede Scozzafava at 19.7%, and 22% undecided. The poll’s margin of error is +/- 5.66%. No information was provided about any of the candidates prior to the ballot question.

This is the third poll done for the Club for Growth in the NY-23 special election, and Doug Hoffman is the only candidate to show an increase in his support levels in each successive poll. The momentum in the race is clearly with Hoffman.

Bulldogger on October 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Hoffman should make an ad out her praising Planned Parenthood and receiving the award.

fourdeucer on October 26, 2009 at 11:47 AM

Only in New York would someone this blatantly liberal be termed a “republican.” Feh.

Mad Mad Monica on October 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM

If this C4G poll is accurate, it’s time to shift fire in the last week of the campaign – Scozzafava is now irrelevant, time to move on to taking down the choice of the NYC fatcats, Owens!

Hoffman CAN win!

Red Cloud on October 26, 2009 at 11:48 AM

Yeah, as I normally tow the GOP line…normally…She’s gotta go. I would think it would be hard for the GOP to retract their endorsement (has this been done before?) but I’m confident the voters in her district will make the right choice.

JetBoy on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Man, the GOP is practically being handed the 2010 election. It only needs to up real, conservative candidates and play back all of obummers lies. And they are screwing it up in the name of inclusiveness. Get a clue people, Conservatism IS inclusive. It wants EVERYBODY to have a chance and succeed and live the American Dream! Why can’t the idiot republicans make this message clear??

Spectreman on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Hoffman now leading, Scozzafava in 3rd according to C4G polling.

So I guess the “we need to support the candidate who can win” argument has just gone straight out the window.

Next up is the “big tent” argument, I reckon.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

*cough*

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Nice. :)

*cough cough*

Irritable Pundit on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Reported last week.

Michelle on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

I can’t believe there’s an award named after that woman.

Rosmerta on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

I was going to say the same.

Dash on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

OK, this isn’t exactly the most impressive political candidate I’ve ever seen. *haha

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM

Scozzafava has to withdraw and she needs to take Michael Steele with her. Steele has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster. This is beyond ridiculous.

progressoverpeace on October 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM

One look at that screen capture and all I can say is:

“It’s a MAN, baby!”

CurtZHP on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

this isn’t exactly the most impressive political candidate I’ve ever seen

She’s a stellar Democrat.

For some reason though, she’s running as a Republican.

Someone in “strategy” really screwed up.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Don’t be a Uterus voter Ann. Scozzofava has more to be hated for than just her stance on Infanticide.

portlandon on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

This is for you. by G.K. Chesterton

If trees were tall and grasses short,
As in some crazy tale,
If here and there a sea were blue
Beyond the breaking pale,

If a fixed fire hung in the air
To warm me one day through,
If deep green hair grew on great hills,
I know what I should do.

In dark I lie; dreaming that there
Are great eyes cold or kind,
And twisted streets and silent doors,
And living men behind.

Let storm clouds come: better an hour,
And leave to weep and fight,
Than all the ages I have ruled
The empires of the night.

I think that if they gave me leave
Within the world to stand,
I would be good through all the day
I spent in fairyland.

They should not hear a word from me
Of selfishness or scorn,
If only I could find the door,
If only I were born.

fourdeucer on October 26, 2009 at 11:56 AM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

He’s finished. The conservative base was all he had going for him and that’s been squandered thanks to NY-23(along with the photo ops with Pelosi and Sharpton). It’s not like he’s all that popular with independents and Dems dating back to his days as House Speaker.

Doughboy on October 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Go ahead, GOP, shoot yourself in the foot..Idiots.

kingsjester on October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM

my sentiments exactly….not one single dime from me for a long while…

cmsinaz on October 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I gotta give credit where it’s due, George Stephanopoulos did a great job getting Gibson’s ignorance of ACORN off the table with a quick “let’s set that aside”. He’s an effective Press Secretary for Obama.

forest on October 26, 2009 at 10:30 AM

I’m not! I am sick to death of both sides using that as an effective wedge issue.

We’re letting other real issues go by the wayside when we let the insiders pull this. And frankly, I think, this article is doing just that.

That issue is NOT the major problem facing Congress this year.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Oh no, she not a liberal — not at all.

scrubjay on October 26, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Someone in “strategy” really screwed up.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Well, I’m overly critical, I’m sure. I think Nancy Pelosi can’t talk worth a dang.

I do like Newt. I think he’s bright and fluid and often really on point.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Not really. Sanger was for the most part against it.

“While there are cases where even the law recognizes an abortion as justifiable if recommended by a physician, I assert that the hundreds of thousands of abortions performed in America each year are a disgrace to civilization.”

This is however a Margaret Sanger issue.

“The undeniably feeble-minded should, indeed, not only be discouraged but prevented from propagating their kind.”

You are right. Maraget Sanger was a great person. She only wanted to improve the conditions for blacks by sterilizing them and convincing them not to procreate./sarcasm

shick on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Louie Anderson is running for Congress? I remember him being funnier.

Western_Civ on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

They didn’t put their heads together – they had them up their @ss@s.

SouperConservative on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

But she opposes Cap and Trade!

So says Newt, ~who, incongruously, favors the Global Warming Climate Change theory.

profitsbeard on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Ug. That’s just wrong.

4shoes on October 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Spectreman on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

because it’s all about the ‘me’…inside beltway folks have no clue

cmsinaz on October 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Scozzafava must be the Italian term for Schadenfreude.

Exurban Jon on October 26, 2009 at 12:01 PM

shick on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I apologize. You never said anything negative or positive about Sanger.

shick on October 26, 2009 at 12:02 PM

This is however a Margaret Sanger issue.

shick on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

And the Kennedy family gave their daughter a lobotomy. I really don’t like judging past decisions quite so harshly.

It was an awful life in the past for people encouraged to institutionalize mentally disabled people. It was worse in poor areas. People were often locked in attics.

The fact is that people do the best they can. The one thing I do NOT like about conservatives is judgmentalism. It’s pretty darn rampant.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

That issue is NOT the major problem facing Congress this year.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:57 AM

You are right, but this election IS a major problem facing the GOP this year. Dems got Congress, it’s not about that. It’s about re-injecting conservatism into the GOP and ejecting liberalism.

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

’nuff said.

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Will the RNC learn anything out of this mess? I’m not holding my breath.

iurockhead on October 26, 2009 at 12:04 PM

It is appalling that there is even an award named after Margaret Sanger and it is appalling still that the general population has no idea that she and Planned Parenthood are all about eugenics.
Period.
This wingie dingie nut Scuzzyfava and Newt ought to both be finshed by this debacle. But I almost hope Newt is positioning himself for a run. It will be interesting to see him eliminated once and for all.

ORconservative on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I don’t personally think that anything has to be “engineered.” Engineering is what people are rebelling against, in fact.

I think it’s the only darn thing that politicians are or should be good at…..read the shifts, represent people.

If there’s a shift, it will reveal itself.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You call it judgementalism. I call it an intolerance for strawmen, ignorance, and accusations.

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

You know, between ACORN, the free Roman Polanski movement, and Planned Parenthood refusing to report crimes to the police – much of the Left really doesn’t seem to have much of a problem with raping underage girls. Yes, yes, I’m being inflammatory…but think about it for a moment.

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

pot, kettle

ORconservative on October 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM

If there’s a shift, it will reveal itself.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

I have to disagree. Being a politician involves sticking to your priciples DESPITE the shifts.

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM

*cough*

MadisonConservative on October 26, 2009 at 11:45 AM

*cough cough*

Irritable Pundit on October 26, 2009 at 11:49 AM

Reported last week.

Michelle on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

You guys made my day.

jhffmn on October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Some of us take infanticide *seriously*

OmahaConservative on October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

ouch, Ann, try not to be so judgemental.

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

I don’t agree with Newt on probably 40% of his stances, but I do respect him. He’s one of the best when it comes to articulating conservative viewpoints.

His endorsement? Not gold-plated. Neither is Palin’s. Or anyone’s.

Endorsements are just that….and voters take them in stride, I think. I think they are good at getting attention drawn to the candidate. If people like what they hear, they’ll vote for the candidate. If not, they won’t.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

OT: I’m disappointed. i didn’t know Rush was gone. I don’t care for Davis.

deidre on October 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

ouch, Ann, try not to be so judgemental.

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

LOL* I agree. It’s hard to point that out without falling into the same trap.

But it really does bug me.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

Is that what they are doing with them these days?

MarkTheGreat on October 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM

She’s a stellar Democrat.

For some reason though, she’s running as a Republican.

Someone in “strategy” really screwed up.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

I’m pretty sure this is exactly what the Left wants – an election where both parties are running extreme liberals. I’m guessing intentional sabotage more then error…

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM

What a disgusting example of what the GOP has become.

stenwin77 on October 26, 2009 at 12:09 PM

uknowmorethanme on October 26, 2009 at 12:06 PM

*blink*

That’s absolutely contradictory.

They are elected to represent the people. By definition, they better change.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM

She might as well be the standard-bearer of the GOP. It isn’t like the party stands for anything anyway.

spmat on October 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Louie Anderson is running for Congress? I remember him being funnier.

Western_Civ on October 26, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Zombie Louie! :-D

SouthernGent on October 26, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Maybe Newt Gingrich should have done a little more research before jumping into this race with both feet tongues

FIFY, Ed.

TXUS on October 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Well, I suppose we could go back to the days when politicians were really something “else.”

Then they could be purists.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM

It is really amazing. Margaret Sanger was a raciest and was about eugenics. How minorities do not see this is amazing. How could the GOP allow this and support her?

It really amazes me.

Octavia on October 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM

deidre on October 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

His voice and delivery bother me. Damnit.

OmahaConservative on October 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Next Ann will tell us that there are no liberals who are judgemental.

BTW Ann, that was a pretty judgemental post there. Want to tell us again how being judgemental is so awfull.

Beyond that, why is being judgemental considred bad? Is there nothing in your world Ann, that you would consider taking a stand against? Or is it only when people take a stand against those things that you support, that being judgemental becomes bad?

MarkTheGreat on October 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM

“Thank you very much for this award. And in Ms. Sanger’s spirit, I pledge to help con even more black women into murdering their babies!”

baldilocks on October 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM

MobileVideoEngineer on October 26, 2009 at 11:40 AM

He’d better be running as a Democrat because he’ll never get enough Republican/conservative votes to win a primary.

rplat on October 26, 2009 at 12:13 PM

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

ACORN absolutely damaged the ‘brand.’ Isn’t that the way it’s said these days?

It was disgusting to watch the approval of the sex trade industry.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

OT: I’m disappointed. i didn’t know Rush was gone. I don’t care for Davis.

deidre on October 26, 2009 at 12:08 PM

Mr. Davis and I got into quite the spat via email during the Sarah Palin/Letterman bit. I’ve learned to listen to him with quite a large grain of salt, if I listen to him at all. I heard he railed against conservatives backing Mr. Hoffman; I didn’t hear the rant personally. But if he did, it says alot about where his priorities stand.

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Holy Crap. We are in serious need of new decision makers.

I’m glad this was brought up again, even if it was previously covered.

Jewels on October 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

It’s clear who the DNCC thinks is the bigger threat in the race as they’re running attack ads against Hoffman and ignoring the Sanger-laureate.

CDeb on October 26, 2009 at 12:15 PM

I know. I’ve never figured out how to express that without drawing that criticism.

I do think there’s a difference between using judgment and being judgmental.

But I guess that has to be explicated through numerous examples.

I try NOT to judge those of you who make anti-abortion the center of your politics.

I am not afraid to tell you that I think it’s a wedge issue, it has been the focal point for some people for FAR too long, and it’s time, in my opinion, to discuss other issues.

I do think the issue has led to actual murder. That’s awful.

I personally refuse to let it define ANY politics today. I grit my teeth sometimes with the left. They ALSO do the the same. They trot out some hocus-pocus vote and “prove” the person isn’t liberal. Ditto for the right.

I’m tired of both sides on this issue.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM

It was disgusting to watch the approval of the sex trade industry.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Aren’t you being judgemental?

Who are you to shout “no” at an 11 year old girl who only wants to be a human trampoline for drunk middle aged men and shatter her dreams?

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I would like to see the Republicans sand bag any one of their candidates that support the use of abortion as birth control continuing with Collins and Snowe.

Hening on October 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM

I’m tired of both sides on this issue.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Ok who are you, and what have you done with AnninCA? : )

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:05 PM

As long it’s one of their team…..

Hening on October 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Another qulaity candidate brought to you by your local GOP…

Seriously, when is the GOP going to pull their collective heads our of their a$$es and start running some conservative candidates?

Enough of “Liberal Lite”. It doesn’t work!

JohnBG on October 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Aren’t you being judgemental?

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:19 PM

That’s extrapolating to an absurd point.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Ok who are you, and what have you done with AnninCA? : )

Annietxgrl on October 26, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Actually, I’ve been stating this, in many ways, for 18 months.

You just probably have stereotyped me due to other issues.

(I remain for public option.)

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:23 PM

pedestrian on October 26, 2009

Because they can bury her vile racism under the “purity” of abortion. That is the sacrament of liberalism and its glory shines above all else. Also, racism is easily ignored in the home of true racism.

SKYFOX on October 26, 2009 at 12:23 PM

That’s extrapolating to an absurd point.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:21 PM

I stand corrected, eviscerating live human infants in the womb is just so mainstream, how could I be so thoughtless?

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM

pedestrian on October 26, 2009

SKYFOX on October 26, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Because most people do not ignore history.

Our forefathers owned slaves. Do you dismiss them as unworthy because of this?

Of course not.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Oh good gravy, the abortion issue again?

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:50 AM

AnninCA et al: Forget hearing the message again, and forget politics. Abortion is murder, so why not focus on morality instead of murder?

chai on October 26, 2009 at 12:28 PM

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Whatever. I honestly do not relate in the least with those of you obsessed about this issue.

Judge away.

I’ll never get it.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Jeez Dede, you accepted that award?
You look up to Sanger’s thinking?
Whoa.

PaddyJ on October 26, 2009 at 12:31 PM

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:26 PM

It’s just not high on my morality list.

I share common ground with people appalled by ACORN’s approval of the sex trade, abusing young women/men.

I think there’s plenty of common meeting ground, in other words, or morality.

Frankly, not on this issue.

It never has made sense to me. Never.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM

It really amazes me.

Octavia on October 26, 2009 at 12:12 PM

The Left controls the media. While they are generally supportive of eugenics in private, they realize it still has a stigma. So, any reference to her in their media will treat her as an early feminist and humanitarian without discussing what are actually beliefs were.

It is like Leftist Taqiyya.

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:32 PM

Because you are a heartless, brainless, void of a human being, perhaps?

But at least you’re not judgemental. And that counts for something.

NoDonkey on October 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM

I just am amazed that people think this way over abortion in this day and age.

I accept it. Obviously, some of you really do, let that control your voting, and make it your devotion in life.

But I’ll never get it.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:33 PM

Judge away.

I’ll never get it.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

What’s so hard to understand about taking a human life?????????

chai on October 26, 2009 at 12:34 PM

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Isn’t every person with a strongly held opinion “judgemental”? Look at the anti-Prop 8 protesters or Global Warmists as a good example of the Leftwing side of things…

18-1 on October 26, 2009 at 12:34 PM