Nielsen: Fox News ratings up almost 10% since WH declared war

posted at 9:53 pm on October 26, 2009 by Allahpundit

It’s a nine-percent bump in the two weeks since Anita Dunn’s whine heard ’round the world — in terms of overall audience. Among the coveted 25-54 demographic? A 14-percent bump. Good work, Barry. People keep telling me that this PR offensive by the White House benefits both sides but I don’t see how that’s true. If the goal is to contain Fox by framing the stories it breaks — Van Jones, ACORN, etc — as somehow illegitimate, then every tenth of a point that Fox’s ratings go up undermines that goal. There will come a point where other news nets will follow Fox’s lead simply for business reasons, ideology or no ideology; follow the link, eyeball the list of top 20 news shows, and ask yourself how far we are from that point, really. To put it in perspective: “Red Eye,” at 3 a.m., is beating Campbell Brown at 8 p.m. on CNN in the demo. (Worse, perhaps: Anderson Cooper is getting beat by … re-runs of Nancy Grace.) CNN’s made a noble attempt at semi-objective coverage in primetime while FNC and MSNBC resort to bombthrowers, but this experiment must be near its end. I wonder what they’ll end up putting in the 8 p.m. slot. Some sort of updated version of “Crossfire,” perhaps, with a new, younger, edgier cast? Andrea Tantaros versus Meghan McCain on a nightly basis? I’d watch.

Here’s a quote to ponder. Remember, when they say “last,” they mean out of four networks — CNN, Fox, MSNBC, and Headline News. Quote: “The only CNN show from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. that did not finish last was Larry King, which was third, ahead of the new Joy Behar show on HLN.” Exit question one: How long before CNN’s getting beat by Joy Behar? Exit question two: Glenn Beck is number two in cable news — at 5 p.m. How long before Ailes moves him to primetime?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

That wouldn’t be an updated version of Crossfire, it would be an entirely new show called Shooting Fish In A Barrel or A Battle of Wits With an Unarmed Opponent. Eventually, Andrea Tantaros would grow bored of mopping the floor with Meh-gan nightly. But I’d definitely watch the brainy brunette beauty best the buxom blonde bimb…I mean, blogetter, especially if the latter holds up pics of Andy Warhol every show. I’d miss Greta for that.

L.N. Smithee on October 27, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I now DVR/TIVO Red Eye, Cavuto and Greta even though I do not watch them, just to PiXX off the “other” networks.

barnone on October 27, 2009 at 9:49 AM

I find Beck a bit off-putting

highhopes

So do I. He’s a bit over the top.

beachgirlusa on October 27, 2009 at 8:01 AM

Agree here…but he appeals to the “revival” mentality of a lot of people who like that over the top presentation.
He needs to pull out a handkerchief and begin wiping the sweat off his brow when he winds it up.
I find it sometimes amusing, like peeking under the tent to watch the traveling preacher whip up his congregation.
Frenetic energy, like Beck and Cramer, has loyal following…they have lots of shining objects.

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

You would never know Greta is a liberal because she keeps politics out of her discussions. Her table of guys is a good break from politics all the time. I don’t think Michelle Malkin has the heft of Greta van Susteren; even if she does, leave Greta where she is. She’s good at her job, does a genuinely fair and balanced interview, and does not tell her interviewees what to think.

I’ve seen Greta elicit some damaging answers from the people she questions. She doesn’t give you any of Hannity’s long winded crap that is not really a question. Greta, like Megyn, does a cross-examination, a respectful one. She lacks Megyn’s fire, but Greta is just terrific.

I second this. As Bill O’Reilly said when Fox first hired Greta away from CNN, Greta is SMART, and she does ask tough questions, without appearing biased or mean-spirited.

Greta has drifted rightward since she’s been at Fox. Her show used to be mostly about criminal cases, endless debates about who killed some pretty young woman (was it Colonel Mustard in the kitchen with the pipe wrench?), but she has included more political interviews on her show lately, and has repeatedly invited strong conservatives such as Rush Limbaugh, Rick Santorum, and Dick Morris on her show, and she definitely admires Sarah Palin. She has also injected some of her own opinions, calling some of Obama’s excessive spending and publicity stunts “stupid”.

If Fox wants to move Glenn Beck to a more popular time slot, how about trading places with Shepard Smith?

Steve Z on October 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Everybody slows down to take time to look at an accident at the side of the road.

Dave Rywall on October 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

And Fox did slow down and taken a look at this administration. Rather then cruising down the highway with the dems talking points…they were observant.
Good call…the others are on cruise control…Fox is slowing down and actually watching.

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM

So Barry is the salesman of the year for Gun sales & Fox News………YEA!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!

1luckydogg on October 27, 2009 at 10:03 AM

It pleases me that CNN is dead last. MSNBC doesn’t have much higher viewership. Mainly, nobody is watching any of their shows except the rabid liberals. So they will all follow Air America and the NYSlimes down the drain.

dogsoldier on October 27, 2009 at 10:31 AM

move over O’Reilly…

cmsinaz on October 26, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Naww. O’Reilly and Hannity will stay where they are. If anything, Beck might be moved to 7pm, but I think Fox ENJOYS the fact that their 5pm show is beating CNN and MSNBC in primetime. I would keep him there, if only for that bragging right.

Honestly, I don’t know how much of a bump he would get if he was moved to prime time. I have a feeling most people Tivo his show more than watch at 5pm. That’s what I do, well did before school kicked in.

xax on October 27, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Are you suggesting 9pm? Where would Greta go? The trifecta of O’Reilly (who needs to get a clue), Hannity and then Beck would be amazing 8-10pm.

I rarely get to see Beck at 5 pm and I’m ambivalent toward Greta. Maybe Ailes bumps O’Reilly up to Greta’s slot and sends a clear message that a new sheriff is in town with Beck. O’Reilly is too balanced to a fault and too ambitious for his own good. He’d go work for the White House if he could, even take rahm’s job (he did a Human Events column this weekend saying as much.)

ted c on October 27, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Beck should move to Homo Shep’s 7:00 slot to give Fox three howitzers in a row: Beck, O’Reilly, and Hannity. I’m surprised they haven’t made the move already.

Percy_Peabody on October 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

It would be funny, if not for the conuntry I love is falling apart.

Really, the next three years is going to be trying.

Oil Can on October 27, 2009 at 11:11 AM

7:00 is a news slot, so I can see why they don’t want to move him.

I’d make it Glenn at 8, Hannity at 9 and O’Reilly at 10.

As far as Glenn’s delivery style, sometimes you’ve got to ignore how something is presented and look at the meat of what he’s talking about.

Keith_Indy on October 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Andrea Tantaros versus Meghan McCain on a nightly basis? I’d watch.

Big A, I don’t think they will be oil wrestling…

LTC John on October 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM

7:00 is a news slot, so I can see why they don’t want to move him.

I’d make it Glenn at 8, Hannity at 9 and O’Reilly at 10.

Keith_Indy on October 27, 2009 at 11:12 AM

Doubt Fox would even consider moving O’Reilly, because his ratings lead has been consistent over nearly a decade. Plus once you get ratings like this, there’s a certain fear of upsetting the apple card and bruising delicate egos who theoretically might go elsewhere when their contracts are up (of course, for that to happen the other news channels would actually have to be concerned about ratings and ad revenues, and it’s becoming clearer by the day they’d rather be ideologically pure — and get a government bail-out — than to sully their image by hiring away a Fox News opinion show host).

jon1979 on October 27, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Percy_Peabody on October 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

I imagine Shep has a contract.

Oink on October 27, 2009 at 11:58 AM

Percy_Peabody on October 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Fox should move Shep to the Fox Business Network, preferably to the 4 AM slot.

Norwegian on October 27, 2009 at 12:04 PM

Fox News’ ratings up 10 points…

“You’re doing a heckuva job, Baracky”! :-P

JohnBG on October 27, 2009 at 12:18 PM

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

But is there truth? Forget about “extremism” for just a moment. Lay it aside just long enough to ask yourself, is Glen Beck actually wrong?

Hmmmm?

gryphon202 on October 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Moving Beck to 7 is a catch 22 for Bill. Beck would jump significantly, and would be a better lead in for Bill in the key demo. However, Beck might draw bigger numbers than Bill “the king”.

marklmail on October 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

On the west coast Beck is on at 2:00 and I suspect a lot of stay at home moms watch him. I do, its the perfect time slot for us.

Rose on October 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Good comeback right2! Beck has a zany sense of humor, and he is passionate. I think many people have become so dull with political correctness, they are “put off” as they say at one who shows some passion. Let’s fact it, if now is not the time to get passionate about what’s going on with this country, then when?

texanpride on October 27, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Maybe it’s also because they’re having fun with people like Olby. ROTFL Check this out.

hoosiermama on October 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I like Beck’s time slot. He gets the ‘less serious’ news viewers who are saving after dinner time for other things. This is good because it is the fence sitters he can influence. Beck has reached the middle group better than anyone. They can call him extreme but he is communicating with the folk who usually do not get involved

Beck might not be bad before O’Reilley, who might come across calm and temperate after a dose of Beck. On the other hand, O Reilley will have to be more careful of what Beck says on his program, because Beck will be fresh in mind when O Reilley comes on. It would be a gamble to mix them

entagor on October 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Dave Rywall on October 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

I’ll take your analogy and run with it.

The accident is this administration and drivers are all to eager to take Becks four lane detour.

shick on October 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 9:53 AM

+1 and better than mine.

shick on October 27, 2009 at 1:10 PM

…With all this talk about shifting Beck\’s timeslot, I have to wonder:Am I the only one in America with a TiVo?I used to listen to Beck when I could on radio. A few years later, when my commute length greatly diminished and my work schedule changed, I didn\’t get to listen to him. Then I saw him move to Fox….Then I started staying up until 11pm at nights (being on the West Coast, I\’m still at work when his show is on) to watch that day\’s rerun. And made it a habit. That was the highlight of my TV-watching for the day (and the number of hours were…well..that\’s about it. Maybe another hour.) Then I realized, hey, this is perfect TiVo material. Now, as soon as I get home, I fire it up and hope that it recorded that day\’s Beck. Much better than having to be up until midnight just to catch my favorite show.

CatsGodot on October 27, 2009 at 1:14 PM

(sorry for the loss of formatting in last comment)

entagor on October 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Amen. I think that’s why I watch–I agree with him more than disagree, and when someone asks, “This is what I see. How am I wrong? Tell me.”, I’m more apt to listen. (Granted, the other day, when he was talking about alcohol and beer and etc…I was almost yelling at him, “WTH are you talking about? Yes, I know you’re a former alcoholic, but not all of us…”)

The incident with the frog a few weeks ago sums it up. Those who are quick to throw the label “extremist” or “conspiracy-monger” his way where those same that where also posting and wondering: “Was that a live frog? Let’s review the video. Could he have done it?”

…no, geniuses, he didn’t (and if you watch the show, you’ll see how the Fox lawyers are all over him, and he has to put up disclaimers left and right on a regular basis). And if you were half as smart as you think you are, you’d dwell more on his point rather than his theatrics. While the rest of us are listening, you’re finger-pointing.

You’re too busy watching the “shiny objects” and waxing how much more intelligent you are than he; the rest of us have tuned you out, and are listening to the message, considering and discussing his topics and theories, and getting entertained along the way.

CatsGodot on October 27, 2009 at 1:26 PM

texanpride

There’s a difference in being passionate and being silly.

beachgirlusa on October 27, 2009 at 2:02 PM

I once thought that Beck should move to the 7pm time slot. As other posters have mentioned, 7pm is more of a news slot. A perfect spot for Lou Dobbs? Yes…

joejm65 on October 27, 2009 at 2:08 PM

I think Beck is getting those numbers because of his time slot. I dvr cavuto-beck-brett-oreilly-sean-greta daily and watch the parts I want. It would be a great block of shows together if Shep Smith wasn’t there. And Steve Hayes makes any of the shows worth watching.

lonestar1 on October 27, 2009 at 2:15 PM

‘Rywall’ is stupid and Rywall is a Confirmed Liar, but this troll’s analogy of watching Fox News as the same as people watching an accident wins an award:

DUMBEST COMPARISON / ANALOGY EVER ON HOTAIR

It makes no sense, of course, as the troll is desperate and clueless in trying to insult Fox and downplay the collapse of the Old DoucheBag Media.

Have fun up there in “Canada”, Dave

Janos Hunyadi on October 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM

I’m sure the Democrats are quite happy to see Fox News get more attention at this point, given how ridiculous Glenn Beck and his fellow partners in slime are. Anyone in the GOP who thinks Fox News is good for the long term prospects of the party is forgetting Lincoln’s wisdom about how you can’t fool all the people all the time in the end, and there aren’t enough people you can fool all the time to win at the polls either.

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

If Fox is up 10, then keep it up Mr. President.

ted c on October 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM

hoosiermama on October 27, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Thanks for that. Too bad they didn’t show it during O’Reilly’s show.

lonestar1 on October 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Stop going after the conservative tv/radio people! Sean is a good guy and is a wonderful supporter of the troops, and Greta is getting more conservative by the year.
She was absolutely disparaged by her former employer who is big dem, so she should be getting more conservative… I love Glenn and he should have sheps 2nd hour. WE can’t loose any of them. Stop denigrating them….

Bambi on October 27, 2009 at 2:49 PM

…you can’t fool all the people all the time in the end, and there aren’t enough people you can fool all the time to win at the polls either.

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

You may be on to something here.

McDonnell leads Deeds among likely voters by 55 to 44 percent.

THAT, plus FOX News dominance is the CHANGE this country needs. Nobama, Nobama, Nobama… Mmm… Mmm… Mmmmmmm…

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 3:25 PM

As I recall, Palin was pointedly not invited to help McDonnell campaign in Virginia. Hmmmm….

Also, Obama is still popular enough in Virginia:

Republican Robert F. McDonnell carries a double-digit lead over Democrat R. Creigh Deeds in the final week of the campaign for Virginia governor, according to a new Washington Post poll. [...]

Seven in 10 Virginia voters say their views of President Obama, who is scheduled to campaign Tuesday with Deeds in Norfolk, will not be a factor in their choice for governor. The rest are about evenly divided between those who say their vote will be motivated by their desire to express support for the president and those who want to voice opposition to him, suggesting that Obama might not be a decisive figure in the contest and that the race is not the early referendum on the Obama presidency many have suggested it would be.

FYI, Obama’s approval rating in Virginia — a state he won last year with 52% of the vote — is 54%.

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I guess there is at least one person, Larry King, thankful for Joy Behar.

RJL on October 27, 2009 at 4:00 PM

Hmmmm?

gryphon202 on October 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM

I wasn’t talking about “truth”, I was posting about his delivery, I don’t care for it. It is amusing at times, but it is geared for the people who love that revivalist mentality.
And no he makes his mistakes on quoting people, and he goes overboard.
Two weeks or so ago everyone was talking about his Roosevelt quotes, they were taken out of context, and mis quoted…I posted it, but the avid believer doesn’t want to hear that errors are made.
No he is not a liar, he is a promoter, a shill…say hallelujah

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 4:06 PM

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Yep! It appears you understand the reason for FOX News dominance!

FYI, Obama’s approval rating in Virginia — a state he won last year with 52% of the vote — is 54% 51% 49% 48%, and going down the drain.

I know, I know… It’s all Bush’s fault.

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 4:07 PM

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Which is why Obama’s numbers are dropping, why the liberals numbers are dropping…they fooled them for several pivotal weeks, during the election period, but now they have seen they were fooled….”I promise the negotiations will be on C-Span…”I promise every bill will be on the internet and you will have five days to review the bill”…meanwhile O’Reilly is what, 8 years in the lead?

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 4:10 PM

It’s been proven that too much Kool Aid makes the Truth too difficult to swallow.

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 4:17 PM

dude, the bills are on the internet:

Health Care Bill Language Is Now Online

H.R. 3200 (the initial House version)

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Dude, there’s been a health care bill online for months now:

opencongress.org/bill/111-h3200/text

Check it out.

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Q: What’s the main problem with Barack Obama jokes?

A: His followers don’t think they’re funny, and everyone else doesn’t think they’re jokes.

SOURCE: http://content.patriotpost.us/img/legacy/broadcasts/humor/102709.html

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 4:44 PM

Why oh why is Glenn talking about Big Dawgs bj now??? My Gawd we have REAL ISSUES PEOPLES!!

ginaswo on October 27, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Uh starfleet dude thats hr3200, have you looked at hr3400? I have read both, how bout Baucus Senate bill? and we have NO LEGISLATIVE LANGUAGE for what Reid is proposing nada none zip zilch

ginaswo on October 27, 2009 at 5:14 PM

Go Fox! Glenn Beck is a breath of fresh air and truth. He’s got it all over everyone else. The rest of Fox’s commentators are taking their talking points from his show. He’s funny too, and we all need a laugh…especially now.

Nalea on October 27, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Is there some way I can get the WH to attack me publicly? My little pest control operation could use the extra business.

Obama is a liar and Truth is
killing his Marxist agenda.

Army Brat on October 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM

Obama is a liar and Truth is
killing his Marxist agenda.

Army Brat on October 27, 2009 at 5:38 PM

You’d have to take a page from history and do what American suffragists did to Woodrow Wilson: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wilson/portrait/wp_suffrage.html

America needs “Silent Sentinels” to stand for months outside the Obama White House with signs stating the obvious…

New Plan: I pay for my Health Care, You pay for Yours!

THEN perhaps Obama or maybe even Rahmbo would either attack you publicly, or quietly ship you off to a gulag.

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 5:57 PM

DRywall343 on October 26, 2009 at 10:35 PM

LOL! Why do you think we all stop to read your posts?

Del Dolemonte on October 27, 2009 at 6:25 PM

starfleet_dud 343 on October 27, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Yeah, that explains why CNN has been able to get away with fake news for over a decade now.

starfleet_dud 343 on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

LOL, that’s within the margin of error of his vote percentage. Totally meaningless.

Del Dolemonte on October 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Speaking of news sources… BBC reports from Honduras–HotAir hasn’t gotten to this item yet.

The nephew of the interim President of Honduras Roberto Micheletti has been found dead in what the police are calling an execution-style killing.

Enzo Micheletti’s body was discovered on Sunday in woodland near Choloma, 250 km north of the capital, Tegucigalpa.

Police say his hands were tied behind his back and his body was riddled with bullets.

They have the gall to say that Micheletti’s nephew’s assassination has nothing to do with the Constitutional Honduran government refusing to permit Zelaya’s dictatorship to proceed. Zelaya promised blood would flow if he wasn’t escorted back to power. But Enzo’s blood isn’t recognized by the BBC. That damned global governance mouthpiece is waiting for the real coup, setting a bloody stage for Zelaya’s lunatic regime to murder and plunder Honduras. They have their puppet they want back in the seat of power, and the BBC won’t be satisfied until the worst happens, set on ruining Honduras.

maverick muse on October 27, 2009 at 6:58 PM

ALL YOU INSANE TROLLS…yes Dave the idiot Rywall, GrowFins, CRR and the rest …. FOX THANKS YOU! Congrats !

CWforFreedom on October 27, 2009 at 7:54 PM

starfleet_dud 343 on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

How is that Govenor’s race shaping up?

CWforFreedom on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

Agree here…but he [Beck] appeals to the “revival” mentality of a lot of people who like that over the top presentation.

right2bright on October 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM

Maybe so. But he also appeals to many of us with the libertarian-conservative, agnostic mentality who like common sense analysis.

petefrt on October 27, 2009 at 8:50 PM

starfleet_dud 343 on October 27, 2009 at 3:42 PM

How is that Govenor’s race shaping up?

CWforFreedom on October 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM

PRICELESS! LOL!

Roy Rogers on October 27, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Check it out.

starfleet_dude on October 27, 2009 at 4:32 PM

The one that the democrats do not need any republican votes to pass?

GO FOR IT! OWN IT!