Video: Gingrich answers Hoffman supporter at book signing

posted at 11:00 am on October 25, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Lisa Miller, organizer for Tea Party Washington DC, tracks down Newt Gingrich at a bookstore while he promotes his latest novel, To Try Men’s Souls.  Miller sets up the interview outside the bookstore by reviewing NY23 candidate Dede Scozzafava’s policy record, then goes inside and asks Newt (politely, it seems) what he was thinking when he endorsed Scozzafava. Chris at HAP captures the transcript of Newt’s response, but this encounter has more than one instructive moment:

Gingrich: “Lets just start with, she is the nominee of the local party, my bias is to be for the nominee of the local party, and I don’t second guess the local party, she has signed a no tax increase pledge, she is endorsed by the National Rifle Association, she has come out against Cap and Trade, [crosstalk] she is opposed to the Obama Health Care plan, she will vote for John Boehner instead of Nancy Pelosi.

All of those things together make her it seems to me, a legitimate, authentic, Republican nominee. In addition, the last poll that came out yesterday, she is well ahead of, and she is much more likely to beat the Democrat than Hoffman because Hoffman doesn’t live in the district, he’s never won an election in the district, she represents the biggest county in the district, she actually knows the local issues, and Hoffman has says publicly he doesn’t know the local issues..

So I just think it is a mistake for the Conservative movement, to think splitting in the special elections is a smart idea, if we give that seat to the Democrats, shame on us…

Uh … isn’t Miller, as a Tea Party organizer, supposed to be a loose cannon, out of control, screaming epithets and acting irrationally? Isn’t that the impression that the media leaves when they cover these events? Yet here we have Miller calmly approaching Gingrich, politely asking her question, and thanking him for his cooperation after getting a full answer from Gingrich. Why, it’s almost like Tea Party organizers were normal, rational, thinking Americans. Imagine that!

For that matter, kudos to Newt as well.  He actually responded substantively to Miller’s polite question, although I disagree with his answer, which I’ll get to in a moment.   That’s a lot more responsiveness to a private citizen than we’ve seen from many elected officials — and it certainly beats the hysterical and slanderous response Scozzafava had when an actual reporter, Weekly Standard’s John McCormack, tried to ask her about those policy positions Newt reviews in the video.

But Newt’s still wrong.  First, the NRCC and the RNC have the duty to elect endorsed Republican candidates, so one cannot blame them for following the lead of local party officials — but that’s not Newt’s role unless he chooses it for himself.  He has held himself up as a leader of conservatives more than the Republican Party.  Next, the idea that we should refrain from criticizing party bosses for their candidate selection reminds me somewhat of my experience at WCPAC, when I was told it was “the height of rudeness” to criticize its organizers while covering it.  Scozzafava did not get the endorsement through a convention process, after all, but in a closed-room meeting of sorts with the party leaders of the eleven counties in that district.  I’m also not sure Newt has all of those policy positions correct, and he fails to mention that Scozzafava backs Card Check, which dumps the secret ballot in organizing elections and leaves working people at the tender mercies of union bosses, as well as imposing federal control over compensation for all American industries through its mandatory arbitration clause.  That’s hardly conservative.

Besides, this is a special election, and the same seat comes up again next year.  If Scozzafava wins it, it will make it more difficult for a fiscal conservative to dislodge her in the 2010 primary.  If the Democrat wins it, Pelosi wins one more vote for a year in a chamber which already gives her a 70-seat majority, and Hoffman can run as the truly Republican candidate in 2010.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

For that matter, kudos to Newt as well. He actually responded substantively to Miller’s polite question, although I disagree with his answer, which I’ll get to in a moment. That’s a lot more responsiveness to a private citizen than we’ve seen from many elected officials — and it certainly beats the hysterical and slanderous response Scozzafava had when an actual reporter, Weekly Standard’s John McCormack, tried to ask her about those policy positions Newt reviews in the video.

How else do you treat a paying customer? :-)

OSUBuciz1 on October 25, 2009 at 7:54 PM

Newt is short for neutered. I don’t like him. When he sat on the couch with ping pong ball eyed Pelosi – he was toast. Hey, Newt… go sit on a balcony with Calista. We want new blood that is conservative, not warmed over wanna get alongs.

suzyk on October 25, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Hoffman doesn’t even live in the 23rd district. How can he even run for the seat?

AngusMc on October 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM

Earlier today I tried to email the NRCC about my dissatisfaction with their support of Scuzzy. The email was not delivered, I am thinking that their inbox is full.

I have lost all respect for Newt, wish he would write his books and STFU.

farright on October 25, 2009 at 8:00 PM

GOD BLESS CITIZEN JOURNALISTS AND THE GEEK WHO INVENTED FLIPVIDEO.

***heeheehee***

seejanemom on October 25, 2009 at 8:01 PM

AngusMc on October 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I understand that he has a business in the district.

farright on October 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Go be seen with Scozzafava Newt. Go stand up for her. Or, conversely, go stand up for Doug Hoffman.

I bet someone’s conscience is bugging him tonight. The playing field has changed.

ted c on October 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Doesn’t Newt have some grand kids he could take to Disney World or the zoo? Retire Newt, don’t become a national embarrassment like Carter or Biden

Jeff from WI on October 25, 2009 at 8:22 PM

Newt has a great head on his shoulders. But, he has to respect the new movement. There may be a new party coming to town….It’s the (T) party…

ted c on October 25, 2009 at 8:24 PM

Let me see if I got this right, he supports her because she is the incumbent and therefore more likely to win. This is exactly the “good ole boy” mentality that is destroying our party. As long as the republicans keep putting up Old Grey haired outdated relics because “it’s their turn”, we’ll just keep losing elections. The younger and more conservative Republicans (and democrats for that matter) have to kick these relics to the curb. They had their chance, they ruined it.
I equate it to FDR’s decision before entering World War II: he fired all the Generals. When these old time Generals that had been around forever asked him “why”?, he told them because he didn’t want us digging trenches in Europe and charging machine guns.
Relics like McCain and Gingrich want to dig the traditional trenches of our party and are content to sacrafice alot to capture very little ground.

MichiganMatt on October 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I’m sick of these RINO’s!

General George S. Patton and Mark Levin are sick of ‘em too. They demand that you get off your ass, and take this country back! Check out this awesome video!

CultureWar on October 25, 2009 at 8:35 PM

Reagan wasn’t a dove. The Libertarian Party today is filled with a bunch of isolationists. No thanks. I want NO part in that while Islamic terrorists are trying to kill us. Libertarians also have no issue with abortion. I’ll pass on voting libertarian.

terryannonline on October 25, 2009 at 7:38 PM

That’s not exactly true, unless you have a particular bigL Libertarian-Abortionist Party in mind. Even the bigL Libertarians have issues with Roe v. Wade, but not surprisingly, you don’t say this because let’s face it, you feel more comfortable with a more statist, traditionalist GOP. Want the definition? Think Bill O’Reilly. And what’s with the label throwing now? Isolationist? Well, first, is isolationism bad? Second, are libertarians/Libertarians or anarcho-libertarians isolationist? Well, you said they are… but I doubt you’re right.

MeatHeadinCA on October 25, 2009 at 8:58 PM

MichiganMatt on October 25, 2009 at 8:25 PM

sounds just about right….

cmsinaz on October 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

“Can’t I just sell my book?” If Newt was even close to thinking he might just be next in line if he carries the water for the elite R’s, he can forget it. Sitting on a couch with SFNan spouting global warming BS killed it. This country needs a leader not a go along.

Kissmygrits on October 25, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Newt died to me when he sat down on the wecansolveit couch with Stretch Pelosi.

SG1_Conservative on October 25, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I still say this douche-nozzle is slowly turning in to Phil Donahue, both looks and personality-wise.

cableguy615 on October 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

cableguy615 on October 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

How appropriate a nick name, since Phil Donahue is really a woman.

Jeff from WI on October 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

This interaction was truly American. If only we could hang on to this culture of thoughtful and intelligent interaction. The leftists have caused great damage to adult American culture with their aggressive and violent style.

Though I disagree with Newt’s position, and a bit of his answer, I am impressed he provided a detailed and thoughtful response. I better understand why he did what he did, but I still disagree with him.

ray on October 25, 2009 at 9:53 PM

Death to RINO’s!

(Not really, but it sure sounds good.)

thebronze on October 25, 2009 at 10:01 PM

Newt’s trying to get lightning to strike twice. He wants a repeat of ’94, and who doesn’t? It is thus clouding his judgment. He’s choosing dreams and hope of that over values. Dede Scozzafava isn’t what the country needs right now, and she’s obviously everything (RINO) that Tea Partyers and town hallers have been railing about for the last 6 mos. Doug Hoffman is the antithesis of that. He ain’t perfect, and he’s the first to tell you.

We’re not looking for perfect, we’re looking for a representative.

It’s RINO season. No bag limit. No license required. Road hunting authorized. The White Stag is in NY 23.

ted c on October 25, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Newt, you screwed up. Harriet Miers Moment. Scozzafava is not going to win when the Democrat is more conservative.

Oh guess who is supporting Scozzafava? ACORN. When ACORN is on your side, you are on the wrong side.

Mr. Joe on October 25, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Hoffman doesn’t seem a great candidate. He and Scozzafava should split the center-right vote and let the Dem have the seat for a year. Surely a principled and local conservative can get through the primary process.

exdeadhead on October 25, 2009 at 11:29 AM

Yes he is. He just isn’t a slick-Willie type of politician.

The key is that he is right on almost ALL the issues.

And, Sarah endorsed him. THAT is all I have to know.

Sapwolf on October 25, 2009 at 11:15 PM

This finishes Newt from any POTUS dreams.

Sapwolf on October 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

Besides, this is a special election, and the same seat comes up again next year. If Scozzafava wins it, it will make it more difficult for a fiscal conservative to dislodge her in the 2010 primary.

Thank you Ed for you insiteful commentary I just want to change one thing for ya:

more difficult for a genuine conservative to dislodge her in the 2010 primary.

paulsur on October 25, 2009 at 11:17 PM

This finishes Newt from any POTUS dreams.

Sapwolf on October 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

I’m actually impressed with Newt. I think he is well spoken and an intellectual. I think it would be awesome if he ran for POTUS. It is to early to have a preferred candidate. But have having a Republican presidential primary with Newt would awesome!

terryannonline on October 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

It’s going to be an interesting election. It could be a learning experience for all of us who Newt claims want to be in the minority forever, and Newt himself. If the district is conservative enough, there’s a chance that Hoffman can win. My understanding is it’s only for a year and then the regular election comes so, Newt, what’s the harm.

The only lose I can see from this is Obama can take this election to mean the whole U.S. wants him to subjugate us to his health care plan and tax us all into poverty, at least we don’t give him a Republican that will help him do it.

bflat879 on October 25, 2009 at 11:36 PM

NO MORE RINO’s!

thebronze on October 26, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Good point on that mandatory arbitration goal for all of industry. As an educator I recognize their awards always seem to slant toward the unions, crushing the community’s right to control spending as it sees fit.

It sounds very much like those death panels Sarah spoke of, only for profits – a Marxist dream.

Don L on October 26, 2009 at 6:43 AM

Newt was a conservative until he was Speaker and then he turned to compassionate compromiser on everything, including his principles. Something happens to most conservative Repubs in DC when they get into the main leadership roles or decide to run for POTUS – they forget the principles that got them elected. They listen to the hype of the MSM and try get along and change their tone, forgetting that the Dems do not want to get along – they want to rule.

Sporty1946 on October 26, 2009 at 7:24 AM

Hey Newt, wake up. The lies and deceptions don’t work anymore. Time to put the dinosaurs behind us.

volsense on October 26, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Dede Scozzafava is endorsed by the NRA… she gets my vote. Newt is correct here.

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 8:48 AM

First, the NRCC and the RNC have the duty to elect endorsed Republican candidates, so one cannot blame them for following the lead of local party officials.

But it doesn’t seem that clear cut…it looks like there may have been some foul play going on.

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 9:12 AM

“If the Democrat wins it, Pelosi wins one more vote for a year in a chamber which already gives her a 70-seat majority, and Hoffman can run as the truly Republican candidate in 2010.” -Ed

Excellent point, Ed. Maybe those Republican party bosses would think twice before endorsing Scossafava again. But let’s say that the Democrat wins and then has to face Hoffman next year. Will Gingrich be there to support him? Will Hoffman even want the support of someone who’s judgment is so questionable?

SKYFOX on October 26, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Dede Scozzafava is endorsed by the NRA… she gets my vote. Newt is correct here.

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Athough an endorsement by the NRA is a good start, I see her support for card check as a trumping negative.

I think the point that Newt is missing and Ed hints at is that Tea Party Conservatives are not (necessarily) Republicans. It should be our duty as TPC’s to put our votes behind the best conservative candidate, not the most electable Republican. The longer we continue to let the party leadership put up candidates it views as “good enough” the longer we let the Liberals rule the day.

drocity on October 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

This race is strange. The Democrat is a business attorney. The republican’s husband is a union boss.

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Newt in 2012? Knock it off. Why does he start that crap?
He’d make a good cabinet member…maybe. He was good under the old school, but thats long gone.

johnnyU on October 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM

This finishes Newt from any POTUS dreams.

Sapwolf on October 25, 2009 at 11:16 PM

terryannonline on October 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Conservatives, the establishment speaketh.
You all have a great deal of faith in the GOP.

True_King on October 26, 2009 at 9:17 AM

drocity on October 26, 2009 at 9:15 AM

And considering this:

Newt is on the wrong side of the argument.

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 9:19 AM

drocity

The Republican Party DOES NOT have the luxury of finding perfect state candidates that vote absolutely strict conservative party line votes! Keep alienating Republicans like Scozzafava and you’ll guarantee the GOP stays the minority.

drocity

Wish to have the Republican Party stay the minority? Go ahead and continue this line of thought! In order to win, the Republican Party needs to move to the center and adopt some of these moderates… I am aware that Dede Scozzafava may not fit all your cookie-cutter planks but going for the Independent here does not help conservatives…Hoffman has a like array of baggage undesirable… Newt’s assessment here is correct… the GOP needs to get back to the big tent approach to win and stop being so restrictive…

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Below is the response I received from my inquiry as to why the NRA endorsed Scozzafava. I understand and appreciate that they focus on second amendment issues as that is a primary effort and reason for their being. I suggested in my reply that they might want to look at the whole person to see whether they will be true to their promises or just a fair-weather patriot; ready to switch sides when convenient. Doubt that it will make any difference and I won’t renounce my life membership over it, but at least I had my say.

Dear Mr. *****,

Thank you for contacting NRA-ILA.

The NRA Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF) considers many factors when grading and endorsing political candidates. First and foremost is a candidate’s demonstrated record on firearms, hunting and civil liberties issues relative to firearms and hunting. We support incumbent officeholders who have a record of supporting Second Amendment rights, building a relationship of mutual trust with them. Our grades and endorsements are then reported to NRA members via our Political Preference Charts (PPC), which are either included in NRA’s magazines, or mailed directly to members prior to Election Day.

It is important, as a single-issue organization, to form alliances on both sides of the aisle. Please visit http://www.nrapvf.org to see that NRA has endorsed candidates from both major political parties.

The NRA’s first and foremost responsibility lies in defending firearms freedom as guaranteed by the Constitution. Therefore, we cannot as, an association, take stands on issues which do not directly relate to the right to keep and bear arms, in accordance with the “No Compromise” mandate of our Board of Directors. As you can appreciate, the NRA’s constituency is universal. In protecting the right of law-abiding citizens to own the firearm of their choice, NRA-ILA draws allies from every point of the political, social, racial, religious, geographic and economic spectra. Since our members are powerfully united on this single issue, our strength is enhanced by not being involved with other issues or with party preferences that could split our base of support.

Dede Scozzafava has a flawless voting record on gun issues. She has always voted in favor of gun rights and she is the only candidate with a proven pro-gun voting record. Therefore, in adherence with our endorsement policy, she received our endorsement. Mr. Hoffman did receive an AQ based on his questionairre.

Sincerely,
Susan Christman
NRA-ILA Grassroots Division

SKYFOX on October 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM

NO MORE RINO’s!

thebronze on October 26, 2009 at 2:05 AM

What an excellent idea! Without the votes of moderate Republicans, which you call RINOs, there would about 10 Republicans in the Congress.

It’s really delusional to think that Republican extremists can win elections without the votes of moderate Republicans like me. You don’t really think that extreme positions are going to attract Democratic voters?

thuja on October 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM

thuja on October 26, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Follow the trend. The worse Obama gets, the more it will shift to the extreme right. And, the extreme shift to the right is probably the only way to fix the extreme shift to the left Obama has taken.

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 10:06 AM

The GOP DOES NOT have the luxury of running anyone OTHER than an absolute conservative. The reason we have Obama NOW is because the GOP refuses conservatives and most GOP members don’t support 50% of the Party Platform. That’s what killed the Whig party, refusal to hold members to the platform.
Country BEFORE Party.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM

SKYFOX on October 26, 2009 at 9:54 AM

The NRA-ILA LIED TO YOU. Scozzafava does NOT have flawless voting record and neither does the NRA, who supported Mitt Romney and Michael Steele have ANYTHING but flawless voting records.
The NRA is getting DANGEROUSLY close to losing MANY memberships.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 11:20 AM

You can seek pure candidates with a strict litmus test when you are in the Party in the majority! A party in minority lacks that option. Politics 101: Tightening up entry requirements in a minority party guarantees minority status.

One of the major reasons we have Obama now is Republicans bickered among themselves all the way to November 2008 and refused to unify behind McCain. Although there was much about McCain I didn’t care for I supported him nonetheless bacause the alternative was far worse! Dede Scozzafava certainly meets far more than 50% of the litmus test you are subjecting her to, as Newt outlines. She has strong NRA
support, she has signed a no-tax pledge, she’s against Cap & Trade, she’s opposed to Obama’s health care plan, she supports John Boehner, and she’s a legitimate authentic Republican candidate that needs your support, unless you want the Democrat to win!

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 11:27 AM

The NRA-ILA LIED TO YOU.

nelsonknows

The record of Dede Scozzafava – and every other candidate – and their positions on 2nd Amendment related issues, are posted on the NRA’s site, in their NRA-ILA section. As NRA’s Susan Christman indicated, “Dede Scozzafava has a flawless voting record on gun issues.”

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM

Look at Miller. She is a loose cannon. She’s out of control. She should stop screaming epithets. She’s just acting irrationally.
Those crazy right wing tea baggers.

JakeRightThought on October 26, 2009 at 11:37 AM

Well, I think there must be room for moderate Republicans, far-right, far-left, moderate Dems and a few socialists thrown in for good measure.

We are diverse. Congress is suppose to reflect this.

AnninCA on October 26, 2009 at 11:55 AM

Thanks for the link to Scozzafava’s police complaint against the Weekly Standard reporter. This is sufficient information about this candidate for me

I also thank Lisa Miller for posting her useful interview. She is a great reporter

We already have Arlen Specter. Bush worked his magic to destroy the real conservative in that race and he got a win for Arlen, not for conservatives. The party bosses want uber liberal s-fava like Bush wanted Arlen.

The NRA endorses the gun candidates in any party with the most likely possibility of election, regardless of whatever else they will do to the nation. Understandable from their point, but not an endorsement any more than putting in Arlen Specter to ram thru an amnesty bill was a usable endorsement

Newt may enjoy the stories of the American revolution, but he is no Patrick Henry. For whatever he has decided we must win the war by going along with the party bosses. No sense backing a loser when you can more easily elect someone who will stab you in the back, or at least call the police if you ask her a tough question. She sounds like a good, good choice

My own state GOP has been destroyed by party bosses, who find their un-marketable candidates next to the back scratchers in the storage closets. I wouldn’t trust them to buy food for my dog

entagor on October 26, 2009 at 12:07 PM

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 10:06 AM

I see what you are saying in myself. I’m much more willing than usual to vote for any Republican no matter how extreme just to stop Obama’s leftist agenda. But once the Democrats lose a couple of elections, I can see myself voting against the extremist Republicans that I may be forced to vote for in the next couple of elections.

I suppose I’m more upfront and deliberate about my moderate voting practices than most people are. But given how quickly the parties alternate in power in these days, it seems many people agree with me in practice.

thuja on October 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I haven’t done much research on Gingrich yet.

Is this stuff true?

njpat on October 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM

I’m not a Republican, have no intentions of ever becoming a Republican, nor a Democrat, but I have no problems with Mr. Gingrinch’s answer, though it is a poor choice, worse strategy, and not leadership–for the people do not care about party needs. And if this is the state of party, then the party is broke–because it is not a party. It is a free-booting band of mercenaries united in common cause, circa 1630s.

The national level should not be able to ram someone down the throats of the locals, and the locals should not be to foist some fool on everyone else either. The party needs a machinery, for this one is not just broke, but on a certain level does not exist. Or so it seems to me.

Hold the line. Or fold. Do whatever the heck you want. Watch a NFL game. Donate to the DNC. Sign up for the NYT. Whatever. Suit yourself. But I don’t think the Lone Ranger is going to be coming over the hill to save the day, so perhaps, just perhaps, if it’s party formalities that justify Mr. Gingrinch’s moves, then that party either needs to get fixed or something else needs to come along.

Liberty is not going to be handed to anyone on a silver platter. It’s going to be earned. No magic superhero is going to come flying in with a deus ex machinae and get the living crap beat out of him while everyone critiques his moves. This time the people either save themselves, or they don’t get saved.

Horatius on October 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM

How appropriate a nick name, since Phil Donahue is really a woman.

Jeff from WI on October 25, 2009 at 9:38 PM

Yeah, he and Sally Jesse Rafael do look alike, don’t they.

bbordwell on October 26, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Now, back on topic…

I always liked Newt. I undersand some of the attacks I’ve read here, but for the most part, Newt is certaily right of center.

If Republicans attempt to purge every moderate conservative, we will remain a minority.

bbordwell on October 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I’m normally a big tent, can’t we all just get along kind of broad, but we have to draw the line somewhere. This isn’t a one issue litmus test. Newt endorsed someone who would be considered a lib in any blue state. Why compromise on so many fronts? Newt needs to get a hobby.

Laura in Maryland on October 26, 2009 at 1:00 PM

The winning strategy from 1994 that newt touts gave us a majority in the house and senate that did absolutely nothing of significance and eventually led to the rise of barry obama. They did nothing of significance because of the number of liberal republicans that the national party foisted on Americans at a time when republicans would have won anyway because of the American peoples displeasure with the White House and congress. Sound familiar? newt wants to do it again. Who was it that said the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome each time?

By the way people, nothing will change until boehner is gone and until mcconnell is gone. They are professional politicians who have hepled drive America into the ditch.

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Newt endorsed someone who would be considered a lib in any blue state.

a gay bar in san francisco.

peacenprosperity on October 26, 2009 at 3:16 PM

Looks like she might like teh meth.

Just sayin’ is all. . .

RedNewEnglander on October 26, 2009 at 3:28 PM

IntheNet on October 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM

The NRA left out the 8 anti-gun votes in the NY Legislature, WHY? I called the NRA-ILA today as I am a lifetime NRA member and strangely, the NRA were not aware of the 8 anti-gun votes

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 6:59 PM

LEADERS do not take some poor excuse from a LOCAL party affiliate, but hold them ACCOUNTABLE.
Gingrich is not a leader, he’s a FRAUD.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Keep thinking that and the left will destroy the U.S. You haven’t learned ANY history, have you?

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Scozzafava received the MARGARET SANGER AWARD and was on the board of Planned Parenthood. I’m seeing Republicans become JUST as bad as Democrats in their “R good, D bad garbage”.
Scozzafava is another Olympia Snowe.
Sarah Palin, Dick Armey, Fred Thompson, Rick Santorum, Duncan Hunter and many other Republicans have come out in support of Hoffman.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Newt is about as useful as a swollen hemorrhoid.

Dave R. on October 26, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I will debate this useless idiot, Gingrich, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME and clean his clock for him.
Gingrich has never had an original idea and in FACT, took most of the “Contract With America”, from ROSS PEROT and was actually WRITTEN by Larry Hunter, Dick Armey and Bill Paxon.
C’mon Gingrich, you would NEVER have the guts to debate me, I’m nothing more than an American citizen who has never held a political office. You sir, are a FRAUD.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Now Gingrich is whining that Conservatives outside of NY are criticizing Scazzafava. Gingrich, do YOU live in Scazzafava’s district?…YOU DON’T do you? Maybe you should shut up then.

nelsonknows on October 26, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Gingrich is “towing the line” in supporting a candidate who has been nominated following an agreed upon process of nomination (Scuzzafava), even IF that candidate (Scuzzafava) is objectionable.

I disagree with Gingrich in his support for Scuzzafava. But he’s, literally, “following the letter of the law” as to the nomination process.

The Tea Party needs to get involved in local politics and start getting supported candidates into the nomination process. That’s the only way they’re going to get candidates up and running, except by bringing public complaints upon others.

I hope that Hoffman wins the election but I’d like to see the Tea Party people less antagonistic toward the GOP just because this is creating disorder among the Right and I really want to see the Democrats outed next year.

Lourdes on October 27, 2009 at 4:00 AM

Now, back on topic…

bbordwell on October 26, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Right you are. People here are denigrating some substantial and extremely important (and good) changes that Gingrich has been responsible for. His error in this Scuzzafava problem should not cancel out his history of important achievements.

He’s just wrong to endorse Scuzzafava. I think he’s trying to maintain a party-line here that is just wrong in practical terms.

Lourdes on October 27, 2009 at 4:03 AM

Newt has blown any chance of leading the GOP with his misguided support in NY-23.

Conservative, Traditional Americans who put the US Constitution first are the only choice.

Ricohoc on October 27, 2009 at 7:26 AM

Doug Hoffman is the man! Newt needs to take a reality check and step aside. Conservatives will have to clean up this mess!

lanesmerge on October 27, 2009 at 1:30 PM

How long will people credit Gingrich with something he didn’t do? Gingrich DIDN’T write the Contract with America, those ideas were taken from ROSS PEROT and the Contract With America was written by Larry Hunter, Dick Armey, Bill Paxon and Bob Walker, yet Gingrich always wants to falsely take credit for this which makes Gingrich a FRAUD.

nelsonknows on October 27, 2009 at 3:57 PM