Adventures in upgrading

posted at 8:05 am on October 23, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

A couple of weeks ago, I asked Hot Air readers if they would immediately upgrade from their current operating system to the newly-released Windows 7.  Only 16% said they would change operating systems immediately, while 37% said that they would keep their XP software until forced to change.  Surprisingly, 10% said they would stick with Vista, which has become a lot more stable, but is still a resource hog.

Because I’m either a tech geek or a fool, I decided to upgrade immediately.  I have a high-powered laptop that consistently underperformed, at least in my opinion, under Vista.  While I wrote that the experience of OS upgrades was as thrilling as “a Barack Obama speech on prime time, or a slow root canal with not quite enough Novocaine to cover the job,” I also got a lot of feedback from beta testers on Win7 that it was worth trying.  I decided to join the 16% that wanted to put Vista in the rear-view mirror immediately.

At the same time, I got contacted by Laplink, which wanted to know if I wanted to test their new PC Mover product.  Normally, this is intended for use when upgrading from an old PC to a new one, to move applications and data files more easily than in the Windows Vista system (and presumably Win7 as well) .  However, Laplink designed their latest version to also handle a Vista-to-7 upgrade process on a single laptop, which they offered to me for free with no commitment to discuss it, which I mention in the service of full disclosure.

The upgrade process is rather straightforward for both programs.  PC Mover only comes into play before and after the upgrade; it does not involve itself in the Windows 7 system upgrade (Home Premium, which I bought from Amazon for $119) at all.  The Windows upgrade on my Dell Studio 1737 (4 GB RAM, Intel Duo 2GHz processors) took somewhere around an hour.  It booted clean and fast after the upgrade.  Before the upgrade, I ran the PC Mover program to “pack” all of my applications (it counted 88 of them), which took roughly 30 minutes.  After the Win7 upgrade, it took about 2 hours to reinstall the applications, along with all of their licensing information.  That comes in very handy, especially since it would have taken me at least twice as long just to find all of my original software.  The only apps that had any trouble at all, at least so far, were Trend Micro, which has another Win7 compatible version, and Tweetdeck, which lost my login information — hardly a crisis.  All of my other apps have worked normally in Win7.

In fact, Win7 has been surprisingly good in the few hours that I have played with it.  For most veteran Windows users, the changes are subtle and mainly intuitive.  You may not notice many of them, in fact; I recommend going through the “Discover Windows 7″ videos to get an idea of how they have changed the behavior of windows and app-switching.  The system is undeniably faster, especially in the boot sequence, and thus far has thrown no error messages.  The User Account Control on Vista got so annoying that I wound up turning it off, but I’m leaving it enabled on Win7, as it seems much less intrusive.  It’s also scalable, unlike the on-or-off choice in Vista, but I’m leaving it at the recommended level.

All in all, I’m pretty impressed with both programs.  Of course, the test of the OS will come in the days and weeks ahead, when I eventually run all of my programs and use all of my peripherals.  I’ll keep readers posted on any interesting developments.

Note: Sales through links provide compensation to me.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ve been saying for months that Windows 7 is a shot on the arm that MS sorely needed after the Vista debacle. It’s to Vista what XP was to Windows ME. Generally I don’t upgrade any OS until the first service pack comes out, but for Vista users, the Win7 upgrade is a must. It was surprisingly stable as far back as the January beta, and has only gotten better.

Glad you like it so far, Ed.

crazy_legs on October 23, 2009 at 8:09 AM

Because I’m either a tech geek or a fool,

How ’bout we go with tech geek since, if you are a fool, what does that say abut the rest of us?

BigD on October 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

So is it visually identical to OSX?
Windows seems like a huge OSX wanna be to me.

Only not as good.

B Man on October 23, 2009 at 8:14 AM

I used Vista from the start and apart from the slow movement of files between folders found it perfectly acceptable and that issue was sorted in SP1. Win 7 is based on Vista, and I understand that the way that it has been adjusted to appear faster in terms of graphics rendering has made it slower in some applications. I am perfectly happy with Vista which I prefer more than XP.

The User Account Control works for me and I have not switched it off, I accept it as I want security.

TrueBrit on October 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I woke about two hours early this morning. I’ve been looking forward to the first HotAir post of the day to send me, energized, off to work.

I get operating systems. Good grief.

pugwriter on October 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM

My tech guy tells me Windows 7 is nice, very fast.

Unfortunately I’m at that awkward point where I’m just about ready for a new PC, so I’ll have to wait and get it on the new one.

reaganaut on October 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM

Ed, I’ve been running the RC version for quite some time. It’s fantastic. Running it on an old box I built with 3ghz Intel processor and a gig of RAM. 7 diagnosed the box’s capabilities and structured itself to suit the limits of the box. Very impressive OS.

This coming from a mac guy, as well. And an Ubuntu user.

robblefarian on October 23, 2009 at 8:21 AM

A couple people have already hit on the “Vista is the latest Windows ME” and “Win7 is Vista SP2″ memes but I think they bear repeating.

A colleague has tried to tell me that Vista is a good OS and that it *WASN’T* a stop gap measure from Micro$oft. I call BS on that. OSX and RedHat was handing them their @$$ and they had to do something. Unfortunately what they came out with in Vista was nothing more than a video CPU crusher with some overeager security features.

Vista was a marked improvement over XP as far as their security apparatus(both internally to the OS as well as patch management within the M$ security team) but there has to be some usability in an OS that is worthy of changing from the tried and true. For me, I didn’t see anything in Vista that warranted a change. I kinda like having my peripherals actually function. We’ll see how that works with Windows 7. I have a machine ready for the OS and intend to DL it today. Enterprise Select Agreements are wonderful things. ;)

Pilgrim on October 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Been using Windows 7 for some time now, since they released the RC. Loving it (though unlike many others, I never had a problem with Vista, I use Home Premium x64).

modnar on October 23, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Ed, question:

Will the PC Mover cover 3 licences, including notebooks or is one per computer?

ProudPalinFan on October 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I get operating systems. Good grief.

pugwriter on October 23, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Heh. I’m usually at my desk by 7:30 am eastern time. Always have to wait for the first HA post, usually I skim Allah’s evening posts with 100+ comments.

I will upgrade from XP in about a year with a new computer, depending how much of a raise/new job I get. About the only necessary files I need are my Quicken checkbook files and bookmarks. Programs can always be reinstalled.

rbj on October 23, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Vista and XP household – now I have to upgrade.

yoda on October 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

TrueBrit on October 23, 2009 at 8:16 AM

I feel the same as you, TrueBrit. Vista works extremely well on my Dell XPS system. I’ve never had any kind of issue with speed or user controls. One thing I do have is Dell’s PC Tune-Up which keeps my system uncluttered, registry clean, and memory optimized at all times. Maybe this is why my system is not sluggish? I’ll get Windows 7 in a few years when I upgrade my computer.

KickandSwimMom on October 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

I\’ve been running Win 7 Ultimate for three weeks. Happy so far. As for OSX, it\’s laughable that Apple would try to take credit for BSD Unix.

rightwingprof on October 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

…along with all of their licensing information.

That’s a great feature. I hate digging up that stuff.

Mr. Bingley on October 23, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Adventures in upgrading? Mac OS 10.4 to 10.5. Now THAT’S an upgrade.

Mojave Mark on October 23, 2009 at 8:33 AM

BigD on October 23, 2009 at 8:13 AM

That makes us the fools who follow him. Now all we need to know is who’s the more foolish.

James on October 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Good stuff, Ed. I’ve actually become accustomed to Vista and like the look, but it runs so slow it isn’t funny. I thought it was just me. Government computers are all installed with Vista and the problems are unbelievable.

I think we’ll upgrade our 2 desktops and 4 laptops to Windows 7. But Ed, Dell stinks. Go Toshiba or Sony!

Amy Proctor on October 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

My Vista super negative feedback is that it is very confusing to me why there are the same 6-8 pics/files scattered all over the place. Is there a configuration process that I had to do from the beginning?

I have for free ActiveCare and one of its features is Cloned File Finder. Nevertheless I am going nuts. It’s not like I don’t know what I am doing computerwise; I can take apart and assemble a smartphone (4) times and a laptop (3 times).

I do admit I am weaker on the programming side. If I had a guarantee that this does not happen again and saving files is incredibly streamlined, esp. for ONE user to have 6 to 8 images all over the place is not right!

Any geeks out there that have Vista and can explain to me why in the world one user can have this problem let me know.

ProudPalinFan on October 23, 2009 at 8:34 AM

I don’t want a new operating system every few years! How about they just patch the existing one and I don’t have to rebuy all my hardware and software for no good reason?

S. Weasel on October 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM

rightwingprof on October 23, 2009 at 8:30 AM

What’s laughable about that? Apple has been trying to claim credit for inventing fire and the wheel since Apple was founded, he11 their first OS was nothing less than a clone of UNIX’s XWindows. (heh heh heh yea, there are a few of us out here who have been doing the computer thing long enough to remember that)… ;)

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

I have used PC Mover for my last 4 personal upgrades and dozens of workplace upgrades. An inexpensive way to make your life easier.

Note: I am not compensated by PC Mover. But my company saves money when I am not spending 10 hours looking for licensing crap.

barnone on October 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Im a software engineer by trade, an MSDN license holder, and a sometimes beta tester for Microsoft. I’ve been using Windows 7 in all its forms on all my PCs for nearly a year now. I love it. In fact, I liked it so much from the very beginning (beta warts and all) that I upgraded all my Vista PCs to 7. I dunno. I think it’s saying something that I would rather use beta buggy 7 than Vista!

stvnscott on October 23, 2009 at 8:38 AM

I’m with crazy_legs on this one. Been in Beta mode @64bit for months and can find no hiccups. Still running XP @32bit in dual boot as a just-in-case. The harness is the rest of the hardware and software drivers which, at first, hadn’t yet caught up but are now pretty much all available.

Folks with Windows experience will appreciate Win7. Open source, not so much.

Robert17 on October 23, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Vista?
I blame Fox/Bush

B Man on October 23, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I have had W7 on my machine for weeks now and am perfectly happy with it, even though the machine itself is starting to get flaky.

I’ve considered getting a Mac in the past but for the money I decided to buy a yacht instead.

Bishop on October 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

Been using Windows 7 for a couple of months now. Love it! :)

Shiny_Tiara on October 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM

…the test of the OS will come in the days and weeks ahead, when I eventually run all of my programs and use all of my peripherals…”

The test?

You buy an OS and need to “test it” to be sure all your programs and peripherals work with it? Wow… No wonder I use Apple!

CTL-ALT-DEL

And head to Apple…. Now.

IntheNet on October 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM

S. Weasel on October 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM

I feel you, but the technology is continuing to evolve so fast, it’s blinding. You have to upgrade every year or so just to keep up with the changes. Or, you could drift into obsolesence like me. I still run XP, and most of my software is at least 3 versions behind the current. Makes for hell when I share files or have software issues.

Phil-351 on October 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

S. Weasel on October 23, 2009 at 8:35 AM

Oh, there is plenty of good reason, operating systems are designed around specific generations of hardware. As the hardware becomes technically more complex the software has to be modified to function with the hardware. There genuinely comes a point where the software has to be re-written so much that it simply cannot be upgraded to accomplish this.

If you are satisfied with the technical capabilities of your old hardware there is no reason to upgrade it or your software. However, because software is hardware generation specific if you want to take advantage of the new innovations provided by either new hardware or new software you have to upgrade one or the other.

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

over the years, it’s funny listening to all these rather intelligent PC users, sounding rather foolish.

truth is, you’d never need to go through all this mental anguish using a Mac.

jimmer on October 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

All fine and dandy, but does it run Starcraft?

Hootie on October 23, 2009 at 8:48 AM

Dual platformer here. Mac has its issues with occassional missing files and glitched directory’s. Its become a part of life just rebuilding directories once a month. I am quite intrigued to see what “7″ can do for me on my PC’s. Looks like the stock market should jump today if I have it right.

johnnyU on October 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Did you do an upgrade or a reinstall of Windows 7?
You should not have needed to reinstall applications on an upgrade.

FactsofLife on October 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

truth is, you’d never need to go through all this mental anguish using a Mac.

jimmer on October 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

What is really foolish is listening to people talk about one type of computer or OS as if it were the be all end all of computing. All computers and OS’ have their strengths and weaknesses. And yes, I have probably owned and used more computing platforms and operating systems then you even realize exist.

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM

You DO go through hell using a Mac. I did. My iMac 3 imploded after 18 months, and died a horrible death. After three motherboards, two video boards, and a new hard drive, the tech support gave up and gave me money for a new computer. I bought a Hewlett Packard Pavilion laptop. Had trouble with it too, for it died a horrible death at about 18 months as well.
I traded down (?) and got a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and have had it nearly two years (knock on wood) with few if any problems. Of course, it came with Vista, but all of them did at the time, so I was stuck with Microsoft’s pawning off poorly worked-out technology on the world. I’ve gotten used to it, and do NOT like the idea of having to pay money to upgrade to a system Microsoft SHOULD have provided in the first place.

bradley11 on October 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Laptop users with feature-packed machines and Vista BE WARNED:
Sony and many other makers WILL NOT BE SUPPORTING Windows 7 on their Vista laptops and the drivers for some unique features WILL NO LONGER WORK when you install Windows 7.

Go to the laptop manufacturers website to see what
you will lose when you abandon Vista, and make the decision as to whether you want to live without those features.

On the plus side, once you do convert to Windows 7, your laptop will blaze without all that bloat that Vista laptops were infamous for.

jay12 on October 23, 2009 at 8:58 AM

However, Laplink designed their latest version to also handle a Vista-to-7 upgrade process…

It’s actually intended to ease the pain of performing an upgrade from XP/2K to Windows 7. I used it to upgrade from XP last night – and it worked like a charm! It restored my date and applications. Laplink is also offering it for 1/2 price!

My upgrade from XP to Windows 7, supported by Laplink’s PC Mover, was painless.

Corky on October 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I have to say that Vista really sucks. What sucks more is they are charging 200 bones for the new OS! It’s basically a patch to make Vista what it should have been, I should get some kind of discount because I would love to upgrade.

Where can I get this for…uhhh…real cheap?

Daemonocracy on October 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I’m confused. You don’t need laplink to go from Vista to Win7 unless you are moving from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Win7, otherwise, the upgrade is seamless. You do need a laplink type product (or Windows built-in file and settings transfer wizard) when going from Xp to Win7…

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Where can I get this for…uhhh…real cheap?

Daemonocracy on October 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Ahhh, therein lays Microsoft’s biggest Achilles heal… They practically own the OS market and hate giving anything away for free. They used to offer a free upgrade from the two closest versions of their software on their website, but I’m not sure they still do that.

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM

Well, no, they DON’T have to give me a whole new operating system to take advantage of changes in technology. Linux does a bangup job incrementally updating itself without reinventing the whole thing from scratch. I have one Linux machine running and periodically flirt with the idea of switching my main machine over. Sadly, all the software I want to run is Windows and a bit rough on an emulator.

S. Weasel on October 23, 2009 at 9:04 AM

BTW, anybody with a .edu email address can get Win 7 Home Premium (32 or 64) for $29.99 and Office 07 Ultimate (basically every Office 07 product except Visio) for $59.99. You can start here. In case you are wondering, if your Alma Mater provides you with a lifelong email, you will qualify as long as it has an edu extension…

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I’ve written many times, If I were in charge of Micrsoft even for a day, the three things I’d do in the first thirty minutes on the job are:

1) Fire the entire PR and Marketing Staffs
2) Fire every decision maker that had anything to do with Vista
3) Fire every decision maker that had anything at all to do with Office 07

In my first 30-minutes I will have provided more leadership and better set-up the company for the future than Steve Ballmer has in his entire tenure. How that man keeps his job is a complete mystery to me. He must have pictures of Paul Allen and Bill Gates.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:12 AM

In my changeover from Vista to Windows 7 last night, I also discovered that Vista BUSINESS version does not upgrade to Windows 7, so I had to use flash drives to reinstall all my files after the conversion.

jay12 on October 23, 2009 at 9:13 AM

truth is, you’d never need to go through all this mental anguish using a Mac.

jimmer on October 23, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Well when all you do is play “Leisure Suit Larry”, a Mac is all you really need.

right2bright on October 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I’m the sysadmin in my company have a technet subscription and I’ve looked at the betas and RC’s on virtual machines. I want to install 7 on my machine, but the boss has an issue with anything “new”.

I need to explain to him that time marches on and a software shop needs to move forward….again!

Everything I’ve read, seen and heard says that Windows 7 is to Vista as a computer is to an Etch-O-Sketch.

evilned on October 23, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Here is the upgrade matrix which shows you in a glance what you need to do depending about your starting point and desired ending point. Microsoft got croaked for publishing this and looking it, you’ll realize why.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Let me see, register a .edu domain name for 8 bucks, then link it to….hmmmmmmm

right2bright on October 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I’m one of the Vista keepers, at least for now. However I am running Vista x64 with 4GB of RAM on a custom build, so my results aren’t typical.

Meric1837 on October 23, 2009 at 9:21 AM

right2bright on October 23, 2009 at 9:18 AM

The check is automated. All it looks for is a valid edu email address and the delivery is digital. So, they send the email a link to complete the transaction and download your copy. You can even add a backup DVD for a few bucks.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM

Anyone who installs any major software package before the 1st service pack comes out has forfeited any right to complain.

Vista works just fine as long as you don’t have Norton AV and 15 other resourse hogging applications that all start up when you computer boots up.

The problem is Vista was installed on machines that barely met the minimum requirements before any service pack was released. Asking for problems, especially after the success of Windows XP.

Every new version of Windows is just a furthering of Microsoft’s complete monopoly over software. They continue to make Windows do things standard cutting out other companies who have targeted software.

They’ve added Photo resourses, a Firewall, Spyware detectors, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Office, built in .ZIP management, Media Center, etc, etc…

This is all just a ploy to kick people like Mozilla, Netscape, WinAmp, WinZip, WinRar, RealPlayer, Open Office, ZoneAlarm, etc out of the game.

Software if the biggest scam there is. Think about it, you write one program and you charge people 20 bucks a pop. Well, you only had to make 1 program, not 1 program for everyone like a manufacturing company. I’m sure if GM could find a way to produce 1 car a year and then clone it unlimited times by the click of a mouse while charging $35,000 for each one, they would.

I’m a capitalist, so of course I will pay for my software, but with the increasing dominance of Linus, Open Office, Firefox, people will begin to realize that software can be free.

Hmmm, quick free download of Open Office? Or $300 for Microsoft office? They both do the same thing.

uknowmorethanme on October 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Disclaimer: I do pirate movies, Hollywood can kiss my ass.

uknowmorethanme on October 23, 2009 at 9:30 AM

uknowmorethanme on October 23, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I used to do that too, bittorrent is just too temping, but then I got Netflix and gave it up. A Netflix bluray will always look better than an mkv, because unless you’ve rigged some craziness, getting it to the TV with the video and audio codecs intact can be a nightmare. Music however…

Meric1837 on October 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Windows 7 rocks! I’ve been using Win 7 Enterprise for about 6 weeks. Booting and shut down are quick and the user interface is better to find recently used/saved files and folders. It saves me time.

mattmillercr on October 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM

MSNBC=MSN (Microsoft) + NBC
None of my money will go to those people.

ChristianRock on October 23, 2009 at 9:36 AM

We’ve got one Vista computer at the office, but it’s prime reason for existence is as an emergency backup for the XP computers if they go down. So there’s no real reason to update it right now, and the remaining computers on the system are Macs, with a server running OS 10.5. And since the server and the majority of the Macs are still Motorola-based, they’ve run up against the upgrade wall anyway, since Apple didn’t release a Snow Leopard version that works with the older computers, it’s for Intel chip Macs only.

jon1979 on October 23, 2009 at 9:37 AM

uknowmorethanme on October 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Wow, your mathematics are quite amazing. You think that the cost of software is related to the cost of the media you sell it on? (i.e., how much it costs to copy?)

I think your formula should be:

price of the app = (cost to produce the app / number of copies expected to be sold)* (some minimum profit)

mycowardice on October 23, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Where can I get this for…uhhh…real cheap?

Daemonocracy on October 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Try New Egg. I get all of my hardware and software there. They are very fast and have got low prices.

Johan Klaus on October 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

staying with my XP – it works

bill30097 on October 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Did you do an upgrade or a reinstall of Windows 7?
You should not have needed to reinstall applications on an upgrade.

FactsofLife on October 23, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Yeah, unless you were doing a clean wipe, Win 7 will do exactly what PC mover does.

EconomicPirate on October 23, 2009 at 9:42 AM

My hardware is old enough that I need new hardware as much as I need a windows upgrade.

Skandia Recluse on October 23, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Let me know when the first service pack comes out, I’ll take a look at it then.

Rocks on October 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Meric1837 on October 23, 2009 at 9:34 AM

HDMI out…

(I dont pirate, but I do occasionally hook up my comp to my TV)

EconomicPirate on October 23, 2009 at 9:45 AM

uknowmorethanme on October 23, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Movies, songs, books, and newspapers are similar. It takes a lot of employees a long time to write an operating system. They are selling a service and a product and if people did not want it they would not buy.

Johan Klaus on October 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I have had a disastrous experience with the Vista Upgrade to Windows 7. After several reloads, Windows 7 is still working very slowly, as if the execute code is damaged. My laptop is a high-end Toshiba Satellite with a high-speed duel processor and a 4 GB. front end, and a 32 Bit system. I will now have to return the Upgrade to Staples and demand that they load a regular full version of Windows 7. I should note that the Upgrade program showed absolutely no incompatibilities before loading. This is exactly the sort nonsense that the world has come to expect from MicroFraud!

John Adams on October 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

doriangrey on October 23, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Do you recall RPG and Hollerith cards?

Oldnuke on October 23, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Let me know when the first service pack comes out, I’ll take a look at it then.

Rocks on October 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

I have been using RC 7 since it was available and I think that it is great. I build my own computers and with 7 you do not have to load the drivers for the mother board, video card, sound card, ect.. All of the latest drivers are automatically installed.

Johan Klaus on October 23, 2009 at 9:54 AM

If you’re upgrading from Vista to 7, you might want to use Vista’s program that makes an image of your drive. This way, if something blows, you can go back in time. I just built a new machine with Vista Ultimate 64 and before I upgrade, I ran the 7 upgrade advisor, upated drivers, and uninstalled anything that wouldn’t work first. Be careful out there!

gordo on October 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM

John Adams on October 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Your computer was slow before the upgrade and was slow after the upgrade, yet this is all the upgrades fault… If you have a “high end” laptop with a “high speed duel processor” then why was it slow before?

Vista was bad performance-wise, and Win 7 improves on it, but a slow computer is a slow computer no matter which way you cut it.

EconomicPirate on October 23, 2009 at 9:57 AM

staying with my XP – it works

bill30097 on October 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

You’d benefit the most depending on your current hardware. If you have a decent machine, consider downloading the 90-day trial and setup a dual boot (automatically handled by the Win7 installation) so you can give it a risk-free spin.

Let me know when the first service pack comes out, I’ll take a look at it then.

Rocks on October 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

You can think of Win7 as Vista SP4. That’s really what it is. That’s why drivers are so readily available.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM

Let me know when the first service pack comes out, I’ll take a look at it then.

Rocks on October 23, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Win 7 is the service pack…

EconomicPirate on October 23, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I’m definitely going to look at that PC Mover software. Sounds like it may ease a lot of headaches from the process. Thanks ED.

Vigilante on October 23, 2009 at 10:00 AM

Where can I get this for…uhhh…real cheap?

Daemonocracy on October 23, 2009 at 8:59 AM

Missed your chance. They were selling 7 on pre order for like $50 bucks during the summer. I bought it then.

xax on October 23, 2009 at 10:02 AM

staying with my XP – it works

bill30097 on October 23, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Me too.

Expecially since upgrading from XP to Win7 requires purchase of a third party app (for heaven’s sake).

SlimyBill on October 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM

John Adams on October 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Interesting. My guess is a bad driver, incompatible program that is loading automatically – something like remote access software Toshiba installed for remote support or you need a BIOS update.

Why did you got to the 32-bit version with such high-end hardware? Ease of upgrade?

I’d do a manually windows update and make sure you check the “optional” section which usually contains updated hardware drivers. After that, I’d head to Toshiba’s site for you machine and look for Win7 updates especially the BIOS.

If it were my machine hpwever, I’d transfer all my data, setting, etc (like using a laplink product, windows built-in or manually if you know what you are doing) and do a clean 64-bit install. The installation will blow-away and format your current partition and lay the code down fresh. Before starting that I’d visit Toshiba and download any updates recommended for Win7 (again, especially the BIOS)

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Could you elaborate on this? I’ve been using a Mac for over two years now and have had NO trouble at all, much less any issues with directories.

TexasAg03 on October 23, 2009 at 10:09 AM

Any company that needs to release new versions of their premier product (and its deplorable UI) will go the way of the dinosaur.I\’ve been using Linux/UNIX on my servers and desktops for years. Won\’t change, won\’t even consider giving BillCo a dime for an overpriced, centrally controlled POS like Windoze.

SeniorD on October 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM

So is it visually identical to OSX?
Windows seems like a huge OSX wanna be to me.

Only not as good.

I’m now running both Snow Leopard and Win7 on two different machines in my studio. As much as I like the OSX gloss, Win7 is simply amazing.

It’s fast, beautiful, and incredibly intuitive. And no, of course it doesn’t look like OSX.

Microsoft is definitely back in the game with this OS.

You-Eh-Vee on October 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM

SlimyBill on October 23, 2009 at 10:06 AM

Again, it doesn’t. Win7 (and Vista) has a file and setting transfer app built-in called Windows Easy Transfer You can save everything to an external flash drive (or a HDD if necessary) which will then be imported into Windows 7.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM

SeniorD on October 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM

The only thing keeping Linux – Ubuntu – whatever distro down is the level of technological knowledge to do simply things like install applications. I’ve been playing with Ubuntu for a few years and the hoops you have to go through to load all the codecs necessary to do simple things like play streaming bet video is crazy…I can’t imagine a typical user figuring it all out. Once they get that process nailed down and make it plug-and-play they will take off IMHO.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM

Unless your company write 2MB mp3 file converters for online sales, your business model is ridiculously flawed. Software engineering is an incredibly organic process that requires tremendous ammounts of money and time on research (both market and technological), security/bug fixes, as well as adapting to an ever changing PC climate.

As someone who’s worked in the software industry as a lead programmer, I can safely say that your comment is nothing but unadulterated ignorance.

You-Eh-Vee on October 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM

I have a case of the Green AV virus, so I will be stuck with Vista for a while until I can restore an old image.

faraway on October 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM

Ed, you didn’t say if you were running 64 or 32.

I’ve been very pleased with Win 7 both 32 & 64, although only one older Macbook Pro is running 32. 7 is faster than Snow Leopard on my Macbooks and the RTM could even EFI boot, so you don’t need Bootcamp (if you don’t want OSX at all) but you’ll have to format the drive into NTFS prior to install.

Iblis on October 23, 2009 at 10:19 AM

I’ve been running Win 7 since the RC came out, and the release version of 7 since eary August (thanks to MSDN). It’s an excellent system! I had no problems with Vista, though.

Running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit on a Dell Latitude E6500 (4GB) and homebuild Core i7 box (12GB). Clean install in both cases (old habits die hard).

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM

You-Eh-Vee on October 23, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Most people have no idea. It’s PFM (Pure f’ing magic) to them.

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM

I had planned to upgrade from Vista 32bit to 7 64bit at release, but was fretting over having to find all my discs and keys to reinstall my software. I saw the talk on your twitter of PCMover and grabbed a copy, and it made the whole process simple. No problems with any of my software after the move at all. Windows 7 is a heck of a lot less bloated and hoggy than Vista as well.

Clownballoon on October 23, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Remember that EVERY Windoze release has that never-to-be-sufficiently-damned Registry sitting there gathering clutter and turning the computer into a giant vacuum for garbage. Combine that with a central planning requirement that prevents the individual from controlling their destiny and you have the perfect comparison to President M.T. Suit, his Merry Marxist Marching Society and his 37 Dwarfs.

SeniorD on October 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM

SeniorD on October 23, 2009 at 10:21 AM

EconomicPirate on October 23, 2009 at 10:29 AM

For the Sony commenter… I have a “Sony Vaio VGN-BX760″ That runs flawlessly with windows 7.

For those upgrading multiple machines, be sure to get the “Family Pack” for three licenses. It’s available from the Microsoft store.

Medicated on October 23, 2009 at 10:32 AM

I do not want to spend any more money for peripherals and software. And I found MS’s claims that Vista supported those I had to be total b.s. When I contacted support, everyone blamed it on the other guy.

At the moment, my $hit works. If I upgrade, and I would like to because I hate Vista, I would have to spend an additional $1000 bucks on top of Windows 7. No thanks.

Blake on October 23, 2009 at 10:33 AM

If you are on XP and this works as it claims, it would be wort every penny since it claims to move your apps too.

PCmover Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant $19.99

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:35 AM

If you want it “dirt-cheap” with no manuals or support, search for the OEM version, 64 Bit, Home Premium currently listed at Newegg.com for $109.

Medicated on October 23, 2009 at 10:37 AM

They are greedy Douches though. They want you to pay every time you use their App. Why are companies so frigging short sighted?

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Medicated on October 23, 2009 at 10:37 AM

Might as well get the family pack and get 3 licenses for $132 or so at Buy.com (if you can’t come up with a edu email and get it for $30)

TheBigOldDog on October 23, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I think we’re about to find out that the Mac is the machine of choice for the Troll.

TimBuk3 on October 23, 2009 at 10:46 AM

I see Vista as one of the more underrated operating systems. But then again I have a pretty powerful laptop running it so I can’t speak for people who felt like fools after upgrading from XP.

I have also used Ubuntu and it is definitely worth a try. Use Xubuntu if you have older hardware.

Greek Fire on October 23, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Based on past experience with Windows, in this case spanning 14 years, I am waiting about six months until I decide to upgrade to Windows 7. This will be more than enough time for hackers to find all the bugs and security discrepancies in Windows 7 that Microsoft, in turn, will issue about a couple hundred or so patches for until they consider the operating system airtight.

Till then, I’m in no rush, and no one else I know of is either.

pilamaye on October 23, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I’m confused. The link Ed gives to the PC Mover but it does NOT list the Vista O/S as being one of the acceptable platforms for use.

katablog.com on October 23, 2009 at 10:54 AM

Hahahahhahaha. You have got to be kidding me! HA getting paid much by MS for this posting???

Buy a Mac, get the original OS that MS has been trying to copy for years and still can’t get right.

ROFLMAO!