Penn Jillette: Getting yelled at by my idol for appearing on Glenn Beck

posted at 7:11 pm on October 21, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Moxie, the emotion here is raw enough to make this a surprisingly tough watch — but stick with it, as it’s genuinely moving. I’m surprised, frankly, that GB hasn’t had him on the show yet to talk about it. Or maybe he has and I’m out of the loop?

As with most of PJ’s monologues, there’s a sprinkling of profanity, so please observe your official content warning.

Update (Ed): Penn’s been one of my favorites for many years.  Penn, feel free to come on my show any time.  I’d even let you yell at me … a little bit, anyway.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Beck comes off as much more tolerant than Mr. Smothers here.

Ampersand on October 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM

It looks like you are the one who is out of the loop when it comes to Glenn Beck because Penn Jillette was a guest on his show.

SoulGlo on October 21, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Nope, I win. Allah said:

And I CORRECTLY replied, that he has not had him on (to talk about it). Of course he’s had him on, a couple of times actually. Hey genius, did you watch the video… or even read the title of this post? Notice the “for appearing on Glenn Beck” part? Wow!

I was going to comment, but you took the words outta my mind…I was getting tired of him ragging on you sor not keeping the site “pure” for only political events. If he doesn’t like it, don’t read it…good grief. Bitch and moan..

lovingmyUSA on October 21, 2009 at 7:56 PM

I never said anything remotely close to keeping the site “pure” for only political events, so STFU unless you want to argue about what I actually said. I love that he posts funny videos, etc. My point is only that there are hugely important things going on and I don’t get the reason for ignoring some.

Look, if you were at my house and it caught fire and was burning down around us, I’m not going to ask you if you want to check out my baseball card collection.

RightWinged on October 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM

Tommy might be smart to listen instead of scold.

FireBlogger on October 21, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I gotta admit I had to wiki Martin Mull and only recognized him as Roseanne’s boss during the sitcom years. Did Penn explain why he idolized him in the clip?–sorry turned off when I saw he was gonna whine like a little girl. My impression of him on Roseanne as ‘Leon’ years ago was of him being corny and creepy.

RepubChica on October 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

First of all, this is interesting and I ran across it a few days ago myself… but it’s not more important than the other items Beck has been covering. While you’re finding celebrity Obamacare videos Beck is talking about what happens if the dollar fails, radicals in the WH, real motives, and DC slight of hand and Neil Cavuto is telling the story that no one else is – that Democrats LITERALLY changed the locks on oversight committee doors on the Republican entrance, to keep the GOP out. So now, not only is the GOP being “locked” out, the Dems have gone so far as to change the locks!

What? Oh yeah, let’s talk about celebrities!

RightWinged on October 21, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Hi

I went nuclear on my husband after he suggested to me to listen to this local radio show, that they talk about local stuff (town-politics-whatever) and is slightly lib. Well well what a surprise coincidence I got in the car and there was the discussion of FOX New’s ratings against the alphabets.

This ol’ lady that was like in her 70-somethings called to state what we know, that really FOX is beating up all of them and that they are fair and balanced. I dunno if they cut her off or she could not speak, I mean ol’ lady’s voice! They laughed, said how ridiculous that FOX is fair and balanced, yaddah yaddah. To them CNN was. OK I blew up taking the kids to school. Another caller (male, late 50s I guess) said that Obama “MUST BE STRONGER” or something of that matter, to finish up healthcare issue and pass it!!!!!

I screamed, “STRONGER? YOU WANT HIM STRONGER? IF HE’S STRONGER, he’s gonna be a dictator, dammit!” I carried on and on, kids possibly traumatized for life, screaming at the radio the lies I was listening to.

Needless to say, I came home with a headache and typed my husband a nuclear page b/c he wanted me to listen to THAT. He mentioned Tapper -he wanted to make a point of agreement bet. us that he raised the flag in the press room- but after a while, he told me I should not let politics “ruin my life”.

I am venting this because my response to that was that politics were not ruining my life, that what was bothering me big time “are the people that are politically asleep…” I have followed politics basically all my life, grew up with it. Now I move to the States, everybody is supposed to be a patriot, a Proud American, where freedom rings–

and you know what? I am not sure that this country is gonna be the same in 8 to 10 years from now. And I see it. It’s crumbling around us. And I feel so powerless. Yep like the “Susan” call to Rush couple of weeks ago. When the sh*t hits the fan it’s gonna be our pockets, and many “I told you so!” are gonna be echoed all over the country.

We can’t bring the troops back; we can’t send more over. We can’t break the lock to that stupid door (was this a payback to Republicans?), and we cannot gather another Tea Party or crash DC-if so, when? Will that make a difference? Or I’ll just go back to La La Land and make nice be a Stepford Wife again?

My husband won’t watch Glenn, listens to Rush sometimes (car) and does not like Sean. He claims he is a Republican. I say not. Conservatives know what is going on, most Republicans do, but hey, hundreds of thousands are “sleeping with the enemy!”

How do I reconcile this with the fact that he works in the healthcare industry? He is just not into politics and I cannot speak to anybody. I can only vent so much but being part of this crowd makes me feel happy.

Luv to ‘yall. PPF

ProudPalinFan on October 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

I think Tommy Smothers was just jealous of Penn’s snazzy pink mini cooper.

chicagojedi on October 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Tommy Smothers and Martin Mull?
Good think Paul Lynd is not alive. He would have torn Penn a new one.

RobCon on October 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

They were quite big in their day.

And, hey, don’t knock Mull – “Fernwood Tonight” was excellent.

RedNewEnglander on October 21, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Testing prick.

RedNewEnglander on October 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Wow. I had posted a comment and it was pulled because I said “pr1ck,” apparently. Weak. Very.

RedNewEnglander on October 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Interesting video. I missed the GB interview. On a side note, Richard Dawkins was on the Hugh Hewitt show.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Mull had a great thing back in the early 80′s (i think) called “History of White People in America”. Funny as hell.

clearbluesky on October 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

There was a reason mom always liked Dick best.

Lily on October 21, 2009 at 7:43 PM

Thread winner!

lovingmyUSA on October 21, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Here it is.

clearbluesky on October 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM

GOD BLESS PENN!

reliapundit on October 21, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Like others on this thread, I admire Penn Gillette. He believes in reason and goes where the logic takes him. I disagree with his non-belief in God, but I was an atheist once, too, so I understand even if I no longer share that non-belief.

Penn seems to have been caught off-guard by the over-the-top reaction of his liberal friends. Welcome to our world, pal. The effort to de-legitimize conservatives has been going on for years, not months, and it sure as hell didn’t start when Axelrod condemned Fox News.

I grew up in a Democratic household: my grandfather worked on the line for Chrysler for 35 years and wore an FDR pin on his lapel when they laid him out for burial. In my family, FDR, Truman, and JFK were like a holy trinity. Imagine the reaction when I announced I was voting Republican.

No, that isn’t what killed my grandfather.

troyriser_gopftw on October 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

PJ, your hero is a commie stooge and a schmuck. You are great, though. Now you know why folks have fled the Democrat party in droves.

Philly on October 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM

It’s like this Penn, either you’re wrong on everything you think, that the answer to bad speech is more speech, that you should tell the truth and represent you’re own beliefs as truly as you can, or, maybe Tommy Smothers isn’t quite the paragon of virtue that the unreconciled memory of your childhood idol might suggest.

applebutter on October 21, 2009 at 8:16 PM

troyriser_gopftw on October 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

*Note to self–remember to get cover for keyboard…:)

lovingmyUSA on October 21, 2009 at 8:18 PM

Yeah, you were whining about this on Twitter too. Don’t like our coverage? Don’t read it. Start your own blog. Ride that “changing the locks” story, which was linked in Headlines this morning, into the ground.

Tommy Smotherspundit on October 21, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Stephen M on October 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

No chance of my idol yelling at me. Mark Twain died decades before I was born.

The thing that gets me most about this is how utterly fair-minded Penn is. I would never go on Hitler’s talk show. Evil is evil.

Meryl Yourish on October 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Whaaaa. Another \”celebrity\” feeling sorry for himself.

Vigilante on October 21, 2009 at 8:20 PM

I like Penn too. Especially because he has hawt nekkid women on his BULLSH-T! show.

Andy in Agoura Hills on October 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM

No chance of my idol yelling at me. Mark Twain died decades before I was born.

Meryl Yourish on October 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM

But how awful would that be? Yikes.

exception on October 21, 2009 at 8:21 PM

The effort to de-legitimize conservatives has been going on for years
troyriser_gopftw on October 21, 2009 at 8:13 PM

with GB and Palin leading the charge. Obama really couldn’t ask for a more dynamic duo.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 8:25 PM

I dropped out when I heard Tommy Smothers was his idol. Tough to take the rest seriously.

rrpjr on October 21, 2009 at 8:28 PM

Never a good idea to idolize someone.

ThePrez on October 21, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Especially Tommy freakin’ Smothers. What kind of loser kid would have somebody like that as his idol?

We have to keep this in perspective. Conservatives have a tendency to fall head-over-heels for any media figure who gives us so much as a hat-tip.

Sure, Penn may be a LOT more sane than most media figures. And he should be given props for that — but always with the caveat attached.

The same thing applies even to people like Rush Limbaugh and Glen Beck. Again, they’re a hundred times better than all the other psychos who worship at the altar of celebrity. But make no mistake: they are all freaks – every last one of them.

logis on October 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Don’t worry everyone, I’ve already sent this to flag@whitehouse.gov because, ya know, what he’s saying just seemed, well, funny. Not, you know, umm, in a funny way because he is after all a comedian, but just funny.

PJ’s headed for a reeducation camp for sure. He’ll thank them us the end. He may go Galt on us pretty soon if we don’t restrain him.

Mojave Mark on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM

I like Penn even though he is an atheist pot-head slob.

But I didn’t feel it at all. In fact, that was miles away from emotion raw enough to make this a surprisingly tough watch — and “genuinely moving”. Miles. Away.

It must be an atheist pot-head slob thing.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM

If there was one person who I think epitome of vile, disgusting hate speech it’s Penn Jillette.

That excrement, along with his stupid sidekick, has told nothing but vile lies about the Catholic Church, Mother Theresa and everything to do with that faith.

He comes across as the whing pussy little shitbag that he is and I have no pity for him at all and hope he burns in Hell. No forgiveness here.

The only thing that moved here was vomit to my throat and I wished I was as close as Tommy Smothers was to him, because I would’ve made sure I’d have hit him in the face with it.

It takes a lot for me to actually hate someone, but I hate him with a passion.

Dino64 on October 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM

You know, these youtube things do not run. And I have cable so it is not me, its youtube. Please just cut to the point on what the thing is about.

Mr. Joe on October 21, 2009 at 8:33 PM

ProudPalinFan on October 21, 2009 at 8:05 PM

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me, try not to let it get to you, keep the faith, you have friends….sigh…

clinker46 on October 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Good think Paul Lynd is not alive. He would have torn Penn a new one.

RobCon on October 21, 2009 at 7:37 PM

He would have enjoyed bending him over for sure!

jdkchem on October 21, 2009 at 8:40 PM

I wonder what Teller has to say about all this.

Dhuka on October 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Until Penn says something you disagree with, and then we’ll have us a Hot Air celebrity bashing!

tlynch001 on October 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM

I wonder what Teller has to say about all this.

Dhuka on October 21, 2009 at 8:42 PM

Kudos.

I honestly came within a single key stroke of going with that myself. It was almost irresistable.

But replying to ‘emotions so raw you could cut it with a knife and I practically cried’ was just irresistable enough to beat it out.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Smothers says to Penn “if Hitler had a show, you’d go on it” and Penn says yeah, he would; how can you debate an issue if you only surround yourself with those that agree with you?

LastRick on October 21, 2009 at 7:20 PM

Which is exactly why Obumbles will never appear on Fox News. It clearly demonstrates the cowardice of the left. It’s easy to get 70%+ voter approval when you ignore anyone who disagrees with you.

We are seeing in our lifetimes the most vile and cowardly propaganda machine at work.

jdkchem on October 21, 2009 at 8:49 PM

It must be an atheist pot-head slob thing.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM

You can’t see the emotion, but you can see his (non-existant) drug use?

exception on October 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

tlynch001 on October 21, 2009 at 8:43 PM

You missed out on the millionth registered idiot at huffpo?

jdkchem on October 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

It must be an atheist pot-head slob thing.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM
You can’t see the emotion, but you can see his (non-existant) drug use?

exception on October 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

reminiscent of Frank Zappa.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I like Penn even though he is an atheist pot-head slob.

It must be an atheist pot-head slob thing.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM

It’s all a matter of context. If a normal person got that upset, it would be a pretty big deal. You stop and think “wow, something really serious must have happened.”

But when somebody’s a borderline case to begin with. When a guy makes a living screaming about literally EVERYTHING.

And then it turns out the reason he’s having a breakdown this time is because Tommy Smothers doesn’t like him…

Yeah. It’s just really hard to work up a gigantic amount of sympathy there.

logis on October 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

It must be an atheist pot-head slob thing.

SilverStar830 on October 21, 2009 at 8:32 PM
You can’t see the emotion, but you can see his (non-existant) drug use?

exception on October 21, 2009 at 8:50 PM

reminiscent of Frank Zappa.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 8:58 PM

In fact he claims to have never had a drink.

ronsfi on October 21, 2009 at 9:01 PM

You know what really irritates me? Reading comments on a site that is SUPPOSED to believe in free speech, where some commenters rail about how much they hate the subject of the thread because of his opinions.

Penn Jillette can be brash, in your face, and offensive sometimes, but if there is one thing that he is on the same side with us on…it’s free speech.

The man has never claimed to be a Conservative, but a Libertarian, and he is definitely an Atheist. But if I had to choose someone to be on my side in a war over free speech, gun ownership, etc…it would be someone like Penn. He is solid in these beliefs. (Not to mention he’s a BIG MAN, and could probably whoop some a$$. :)

But seriously, those who are pissed over the fact that he doesn’t respect the Catholic Church, as a bureaucracy…try to step back and realize, it’s his opinion, and at least he’s willing to listen to you, even if he doesn’t agree. I watched many of his programs that I didn’t care for his conclusions. I still respect him for his openness, and his regard for the Discussion.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 9:07 PM

penn seems to miss the main lesson. People with views like smothers are more likely to want to limit the free exchange of ideas then people with views similar to beck.

peacenprosperity on October 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I won’t quibble over anything people here say PJ did, but he comes off as a thoughtful guy, disturbed by the shallow phony jerk he idolized.

Feedie on October 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

logis on October 21, 2009 at 9:00 PM

Where the Hell are you guys getting the idea that Penn’s over emotional about this? He sounds thoughtful to me. If one of my admired celebrity folks was in my face yelling, I’d be thoughtful too. I don’t see anything unusual or indicative of drug use here.

Your dislike for Penn is showing.

Btw, on the drug thing…They had a good and pretty interesting Bullsh!t program on the war on drugs. Made some really good points. But Penn, sorry to tell you guys, is not on drugs. He’s also a teetotaler.

*rolls eyes*

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Context people – CONTEXT! Have some empathy for a fellow human being. I watched it and got choked up.

Geesh – it’s shocking the lack of empathy there is in the world.

newfiewife on October 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

the emotion here is raw enough to make this a surprisingly tough watch

I guess, if all you’ve ever watched is daytime soap operas.

I was expecting tears, or at least red eyes.

Hmmm.

Sharke on October 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

peacenprosperity on October 21, 2009 at 9:09 PM

I don’t think he missed the point. I think he’s mulling it over. The guy’s pretty smart.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM

I guess, if all you’ve ever watched is daytime soap operas.

I was expecting tears, or at least red eyes.

Hmmm.

Sharke on October 21, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Precisely.

What’s really unusual about the video is the fact that one becomes used to Penn delivering in a rapid-fire intense sort of way. This slow, thoughtful thing is a bit disconcerting.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Penn (apacalyps holds out hand). Get up! Don’t let other people take away your freedom, your dignity. So you never thought in a million years that your childhood hero, your idol, would go balistic on you, spit in your face — yell at you for just talking without doing anything. You never imagined in a million years that you would be in such a situation. Man, that’s gotta be rough. OK, here’s the good news. Be happy cause this is a blessing in disguise. Why? This situation is gonna make you wonder about what else you could be wrong about.

apacalyps on October 21, 2009 at 9:16 PM

That was a huge waste of my time.

How is that moving? I guess I’d have to be atheist to understand?

iamse7en on October 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM

This was an emotional experience for Penn and I empathized with him. Tommy Smothers used his clout to try to force Penn to stop appearing on a show that Tommy Smothers disapproved of, as Tommy Smothers does not like that point of view.

Penn is right that more discussion is better than less.

But he is wrong that Tommy Smothers made him. Penn Jillette may have been influenced by Tommy Smothers, but it’s clear who is a better person.

saveliberty on October 21, 2009 at 9:28 PM

The Smothers Brothers are still alive?

vcferlita on October 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It takes a lot for me to actually hate someone, but I hate him with a passion.

I understand you can seriously dislike someone, but take a breath man. Seriously. There are entire organized religions who say worse things about your religion, spreading “lies” etc… Do you want them to all die and burn too? Not WILL they, but do you WANT them to? Really?

Is a comedian/vaudeville performer worth that hate and pain in your heart?

You ever see that guy with the sign that says “Death to those who insult Islam!” ? Explain to me how what you just said is different.

I’m not attacking you, really. Don’t wish for me to burn too. I just want you to rethink your anger.

Love to you brother.

/perspective, its what’s for dinner.

TCJ on October 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM

It is tough to watch, but I really think Penn’s angst comes from the painful realization that his “idol” is an unhinged, intolerant prick. Penn is questioning himself, and trying to suggest that the questions are about his behavior in appearing on Beck, but his pain and humiliation are really about trying to reconcile his idea — and ideal — of his idol with the idol’s ugly limitations of decency; his idol is a raging bigot, and coming to terms with that hurts.

The video reminds me of the line in The Great Gatsby when Nick says Daisy tumbled short of Gatsby’s dreams, “not through her own fault but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion.” Jillette’s faith that his idol was anything more than a typically hateful leftist was an illusion with colossal vitality, too. I know how he feels. There’s nothing so disappointing as the cold realization that someone you admire is unworthy of your — or anyone else’s — admiration.

Rational Thought on October 21, 2009 at 9:33 PM

How is that moving? I guess I’d have to be atheist to understand?

iamse7en on October 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM

If you follow the yellow brick road long enough you may be able to hold court with the Wizard. He may have a heart for you too.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Yet another example of how intolerant liberals really are. When it became known about 20 years ago that I had become a true conservative, many of my liberal friends didn’t want anything to do with me anymore. While I could go to a cocktail party and get along fine with a bunch of liberals, they couldn’t go to one that had a conservative in the bunch because it just made them uncomfortable. Often this would manifest itself in little snide jokes when I was being introduced (“He’s gone over to the dark side…”), and sometimes by coming over and picking a political fight. That’s just the way they are.

rivlax on October 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM

I’m just shocked Tommy Smothers was sober long enough to know who Glenn Beck even is … oh wait.

BrideOfRove on October 21, 2009 at 9:49 PM

I have to hand it to this guy. I know who he is, but I’ve never seen one of his shows with the short guy. I have had a similar experience with some liberal friends in the liberal bastion of San Francisco.

This man obviously stands on his own convictions and can disagree with without being disagreeable. Apparently a rare trait these days.

ted c on October 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM

ted c on October 21, 2009 at 9:52 PM

He’s very harsh on ideas he doesn’t like, but he’s not a hater of people just for believing things.

exception on October 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM

Feedie on October 21, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I guess back in the Seventies, “anti-establishment” dorks like Tommy Smothers were the kind of stick-it-to-the-establishment heroes a particularly snotty little kid might have.

Maybe Penn just sort of focused on that one part of the shtick, and didn’t understand until that very moment how Communism was part-and-parcel to the whole “Hollywood hipster” movement.

So, he may well have been disturbed by his ridiculously belated realization.

But “thoughtful”? Sorry, I just don’t see how that word can possibly apply.

logis on October 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

exception on October 21, 2009 at 9:59 PM

That is very well put, exception. It’s the ideas that are bad, mostly, to him.

He WILL however, make fun of people he thinks are elitist loons, on his show. And that is fun to watch.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 10:08 PM

The Smothers Brothers…icons??!!…ROFLMAO…you gotta be kidding. Their singing was average, at best, and their comedy was the same dumb jokes over and over. Only old hippies would call them an idol. Too bad I hate hippies.

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

So, he may well have been disturbed by his ridiculously belated realization.

But “thoughtful”? Sorry, I just don’t see how that word can possibly apply.

logis on October 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Penn’s background is folksy public performances. They were street performers for a long while. So, of course he dug what the Smothers were doing. Add to it the anti-establishment vibe.

And if you didn’t see thoughtful, you know nothing of Penn Jillette. This guy is usually rapid-fire and loud.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

They actually DID push the envelope, Jeff. Just not what we’d call edgy now. It was a different time, you know.

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM

BTW, are you at all familiar with Laugh In?

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM

You mean I have to burn my “The Smothers Comedy Brothers Hour” LP?

Crap.

Pilgrimsarbour on October 21, 2009 at 10:17 PM

To posit your belief or lack there of in God on what Penn has to say is a poor choice of resource.

How about:
Aristotle?
Aquinas?
C.S. Lewis?
J.Maritian?

Irenaeus on October 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Nice video. Who is this Penn fellow?

t.ferg on October 21, 2009 at 10:23 PM

BTW, I think Penn has the right idea. Engage with people who are willing to let you speak your mind. I’m a flaming Christian, but I’d have him on my show (if I had one) to share his non-faith so we could discuss it. I would ask him to avoid the F-bomb, though! My guess is that he’s smart enough to tailor his remarks to different kinds of audiences.

I’d say, however, there’s a big difference between going on Beck’s show and going on a Hitler’s. Sadly, our society more and more sees moral equivalence between someone who has opposing ideas and someone who perpetrates real evil.

The moral compass of so many today is broken and useless. Just look at all those poor Hollywood types who think they’re doing the right thing standing up for Roman Polanski, saying that it wasn’t really “RAPE-rape” of that 13 year old girl. These are those who have the nerve to say that Glenn Beck is evil, not just “wrong” in their view.

Pilgrimsarbour on October 21, 2009 at 10:24 PM

Penn, If you’re out there…
You are not ration’lizin…
Tell it like it is.

We would not agree,
But I’d love to talk to you,
Any time or place.

Haiku Guy on October 21, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:12 PM

tickleddragon on October 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM

I was there, I was a conservative, they were crap.

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM

The Smothers Brothers are still alive?

vcferlita on October 21, 2009 at 9:32 PM

If you call being them, living

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:28 PM

Bulls**t is a great show. Penn’s Libertarian showcase.

faol on October 21, 2009 at 10:29 PM

So, uh, what was the point of this?

daesleeper on October 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM

He shouldn’t worry about Tommy Smothers being mad at him. They’ll have eternity together to become friends again

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:37 PM

So, uh, what was the point of this?

daesleeper on October 21, 2009 at 10:36 PM

The point was listening to a burned out old hippie ramble on about an icon, TO HIM, that really never was anything higher than a “C” list celebrity.

Jeff from WI on October 21, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Tommy Smothers is a brilliant comedian. His politics are foolish. But Jillette is not culpable for admiring one of the best. Listen to some early Smothers Brothers routines, especially any involving ravenous pumas. Or watch their performance of “Poor Wand’ring One” with the Boston Pops.

Tommy is second only to Bill Cosby (Buck-buck, anyone?).

automatthew on October 21, 2009 at 10:41 PM

How about:
Aristotle?
Aquinas?

C.S. Lewis?
J.Maritian?
Alan Turing?

Irenaeus on October 21, 2009 at 10:22 PM

FIFY

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM

How is that moving? I guess I’d have to be atheist to understand?

iamse7en on October 21, 2009 at 9:25 PM

Atheist here, I didn’t think it was moving at all. Interesting maybe, not moving.

To be honest I’ve felt more emotional watching an ex-fattie hug Richard Simmons.

Sharke on October 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM

Sharke on October 21, 2009 at 10:51 PM

lol, best line I’ve read so far. Moving, No, but understandably disheartening, yes.

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I think we see the difference. Penn disagrees with Glenn Beck, but has no problem being on his show. Tommy Smothers doesn’t just disagree with Beck. He believes Beck is evil.

This belief by liberals that conservatives are evil leads to that exact type of red-faced, sputtering intolerance. There’s nothing to discuss as long as the conservative perversely continues his existence.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 21, 2009 at 11:14 PM

Update (Ed):

That would be great.

exception on October 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM

If Hitler told you to appear on his TV show, you would have to go on his TV show and you had better agree with him or he will cut the feed and kill you on the spot and most likely kill your family and too. Sounds just like Glen Beck to me…..

unlisted on October 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM

But “thoughtful”? Sorry, I just don’t see how that word can possibly apply.
logis on October 21, 2009 at 10:07 PM

He is sentient enough to question his own assumptions, and that’s more than can be said about most showbiz ilk. It may be at a child-like level for conservative adults, but I see motion in an incomplete growth process. That opens PJ to developing more mature views. Everyone should remain in motion that way. This sort of dishing to all is off-putting too many (akin to celebrities publishing sordid details of their childhoods), but it’s not a lie.

Smothers is a disgrace and this whole thing is driven by his bitterness over losing that TV show in the ’70s. What he did was like a loser sports star yelling at a kid who is more adult than he is. PJ’s embrace of free-speech and genuine debate offends Smothers’ liberal religion. Too bad.

Feedie on October 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM

Haiku Guy, for the love of good poetry, please stop being Haiku Guy. Forcing words to meet the count (‘ration’lizin’) is irritating beyond measure and a violation of the form. Give it up. Recreate yourself. Call yourself ‘Free Verse Guy’. Something. Anything.

troyriser_gopftw on October 22, 2009 at 12:18 AM

too to many

Feedie on October 22, 2009 at 12:21 AM

Read about the time Bill Cosby punched Tom Smothers in the face!

JimC on October 22, 2009 at 12:32 AM

disillusioned on October 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM

pathetic tbh.

daesleeper on October 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM

In Hollywood,its hell when you realize that you won’t be invited to the ‘Cool Hollywood Kids’ parties anymore.

c3ichief on October 22, 2009 at 12:43 AM

Who the hell is Pen Gillet? Never heard of the freak. Lets talk about the 7 foot bear that scalped the Canadian who was hiking. That’s a real good story.

jarhead0311 on October 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring~~~
has beens, trying to hitch a ride on Beck’s coattails.
Penn Gillette needs a razor to excise that Lou Albano growth from under his chin. Pass the word, Tommy Smothers is the Hootenanny equivalent of Helen Thomas –A boxed set of nutty old fruitcakes!

“Let’s Roll”

On Watch on October 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM

pathetic tbh.

daesleeper on October 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM

How so? I only provide links for a previous post. Maybe the addition of the Alan Turing link was a little out of context. I should have noted that in the comment, as the original post did not have this line. I was only adding on to a perceived theme of the post with context to the PJ video.

disillusioned on October 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I like Penn Jillette, although I don’t agree with him on a lot of things. He’s bright and thoughtful, and his bits are worth listening to even if he can be a little angry toward those he decides to single out. Us Bible-thumpers, for instance.

I don’t really understand this monologue much, though. Is he just now understanding that there are intolerant people in this world, or only that the intolerance comes from more than religion? I understand that it’s his “idol” he’s hearing this from, but really, he’s as outspoken as he is, works with Hollywood elite, and he’s never, ever encountered this before?

And especially I don’t understand his second-guessing the appearance(s) on Beck’s show. He really finds it necessary to ask if Beck is “different” somehow? He doesn’t see how outrageously silly it is to equate Beck to “The Adolph Hitler Show?”

I think there’s the obvious point to be gained from the experience, but from the monologue I’d be worried that Jillette may have missed it in it’s entirety.

12thMonkey on October 22, 2009 at 1:00 AM

The only thing worse than a closed-minded old fart is one that is absolutely convinced of his own open-mindedness.

Too bad, I liked him ever since I discovered my parents’ Smothers’ Brothers LPs as a kid.

TheMightyMonarch on October 22, 2009 at 1:06 AM

This is why it’s better not to have idols.

I think it’s good for him to go on shows where people are willing to have a civil discussion. I see from a lot of the comments that ad homenim attacks are more popular with many.

deewhybee on October 22, 2009 at 2:10 AM

TheMightyMonarch on October 22, 2009 at 1:06 AM

It’s a shame because they’re talented guys. I don’t remember their TV show, but I do remember being told they were warned over and over about injecting politics into the program. They lost a late skirmish of standards against celebrities abusing a mass audience for partisan politics.

If you want to send a message, call Western Union.
–Samuel Goldwyn

Go back to that and there will be room for creativity again.

Feedie on October 22, 2009 at 2:36 AM

Why should he be so surprised and so hurt, this is the crowd he runs with. It’s like a member of the Headhunters motorcycle gang telling the Fist Baptist church that riding a motorcycle is a potentially wicked act.

If he doesn’t understand that he has wandered off the plantation by now, he never will. The Massas don’t like their boys thinking for themselves.

Joe Pyne on October 22, 2009 at 2:47 AM

We went to his and Teller’s show at the Rio in Las Vegas, Penn even said that they do a family show and he refrains from swearing right through the meet and greet.

They were great people to meet, btw. So, Penn has a lot of practice NOT dropping F-bombs. I don’t think you’d have a problem. (And Teller will actually talk to you like a regular person; he said he doesn’t find it useful to keep the act up off stage).

Both quite liberal, but just the nicest guys!

Axeman on October 22, 2009 at 4:28 AM

It’s a shame that that’s Tommy Smothers.

Oh, well. Being a conservative and liking almost any kind of media means that you probably won’t agree with the politics of your favorite artists.

It was funny and surprising though, how many fans of Queensryche were conservative. I frequented a list in the 80s where it was common for things like “And then Geoff (Tate) goes off into one of his liberal rants…” Although as things stood, the Ryche was probably one of the least liberal bands in rock.

Axeman on October 22, 2009 at 4:36 AM