Fox News: Yesterday’s off-the-record briefing with Obama included Olby and Maddow

posted at 9:19 pm on October 20, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via chicostien, an intriguing little scooplet from tonight’s Political Grapevine. Skip ahead to 2:40 for the relevant bit. I can’t find confirmation on Google News that a briefing was even held, let alone who attended, but Baier says they’ve got confirmation from a White House official so oh well. Bush did this sort of thing too, mind you, but I don’t recall him doing it in the midst of a vendetta he was running against an opposition media outlet, never mind with one of the most vocal critics of that outlet in American media in attendance. Flashback fun from 2006:

Keith Olbermann, in opening teaser: “The born again and the born talkers: The President takes 90 minutes worth of your taxpayer dollars to entertain right-wing radio yackers in the Oval Office, and will set up a radio row for them on the White House grounds next week.”…

Olbermann: “I’ve got a question for you about the Military Commissions Act, too, but let’s finish off this episode first. In January, the President consulted with 13 former Secretaries of State and Defense about Iraq, spoke for 40 minutes, allowed discussion for 5 to 10 minutes. The figures for the 5 conservative radio show people is double that. is there an explanation of that that does not include the President using the Oval Office for purely political purposes and even indirectly for political fund-raising?”

Hard to say how “purely political” this was without knowing who else was there. CNN? WSJ? Maybe I missed it in my Googling. E-mail me if you saw something about it and I’ll update.

Below the Baier clip you’ll find a mock ad from yesterday’s “Countdown.” Just for context.

Update: In fairness to Obama, if this really was some strategy session about attacking Fox, would there be any need to include Olby? The guy once dropped eight fat jokes about Roger Ailes in a seven-minute segment. I think he’s already mastered this script.

Visit msnbc.com for Breaking News, World News, and News about the Economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I can’t believe we are only 9 months into this administration…..Dr Evil on October 20, 2009 at 9:31 PM

*in the voice of Dr. Evil* …And now I want a TRILLION DOLLARS…

Truth imitates art, eh?

Mojave Mark on October 20, 2009 at 11:52 PM

And need we remind that Cheney, to whom the observation was made, agreed…Big Time.

LOL

KittyLowrey on October 20, 2009 at 11:53 PM

Has anyone pondered what all of this deflection is for? It can’t be to distract from the health care reform, can it? Maybe it’s to direct attention away from the inaction by the administration about Afghanistan? Is some other big shoe about to drop?

Sorry…but this seems much ado about nothing to keep us all from looking at something……

HAnthonyWayne on October 20, 2009 at 10:36 PM

It’s not “much ado about nothing”. Fox has in fact brought out unpleasant facts about Obama and his aides that other media outlets were inclined to ignore. The airing of these facts has led to undermining Obama’s agenda. Fox must therefore, the Obama thinking goes, be destroyed.

That’s what’s going on.

KittyLowrey on October 20, 2009 at 11:56 PM

Question: Is the war on Fox a war of choice or a necessary war?

Mojave Mark on October 20, 2009 at 11:57 PM

It’s not a question of lollipops. It’s a question of trying to tease out the implications of the post. If Obama was going to huddle with left-wing journalists about attacking Fox, would Olby be in on that? Maybe, maybe not.

Allahpundit on October 20, 2009 at 10:37 PM

Again, in fairness, the story was that Olbermann and Maddow were present in a briefing with Obama. It was confirmed. The allegation was not that the content of said briefing concerned Fox. It might have, it might not have, but it was NOT alleged it did.

KittyLowrey on October 21, 2009 at 12:00 AM

Allah is starting to sound just like Bill O’Reilly…and that’s not a compliment.

Deanna on October 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Allah is starting to sound just like Bill O’Reilly…and that’s not a compliment.

Deanna on October 21, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I made the same point the other day. They’re both obsessed with giving the left an inch as if they lie awake at night worrying that liberals think they’re biased.

Sharke on October 21, 2009 at 12:18 AM

To paraphrase: “Don’t pick a fight with an organization that buys videotape by the truckload”

I hope Obama and his little trained minions keep it up.
If I can reach down that far, I’ll hand em another shovel.

gordo on October 21, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Brett Baier pwned Gibbs!

mizflame98 on October 21, 2009 at 12:32 AM

MSNBC learned well from Obama: If you want to win a contest, disqualify your competition.

Mallard T. Drake on October 21, 2009 at 12:54 AM

Whether the briefing was about attacking Fox or if it was just a regular briefing to make those in attendance feel ‘special’, the interesting question is how did Fox get the story? Did they sniff it out on their own, or did one of the news agencies allowed to be part of the inner sanctum leak the information to someone at Fox for use on “Special Report”?

If the latter is true, that makes this whole story even more fun. While the big media is reliably liberal, those with White House access are also pretty cliquish and snobbish about who has access — remember the grumbling earlier this year when Obama started calling on liberal bloggers at his news conferences? So it’s entirely possible that someone in the media who normally supports Obama came into this briefing, saw Olbermann and Maddow there and had a “WTF?” moment, and was angered that the White House considered Keith and Rachel to be on their level.

If nothing else, given the paranoia the White House has already shown combined with their pathological hatred of Fox, they’re scouring the invitee list to figure out who might have ratted out Obama’s secret meeting.

jon1979 on October 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM

I wonder if Olby wore baggy pants to hide his erection.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM

I wonder if Olby wore baggy pants to hide his erection.

The Notorious G.O.P on October 21, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Did Maddow?

Mike in GB on October 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Did Maddow?

Mike in GB on October 21, 2009 at 1:12 AM

Bwahahahaha!

The Notorious G.O.P on October 21, 2009 at 1:15 AM

It must be Halloween and…

MSNBC is being pranked by the WH to think that they’re number 1. I might suggest they are actually number one Obama spokes piece HACKS.

Just one mans opinion.

SFTech on October 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM

A Christmas Wish: Murdoch and Limbaugh consortium buys NBC.

red131 on October 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM

What are they up to?

I don’t think all this is just for show. They know damn well that if it weren’t for Fox News ObamaCare would have passed by now with “public option” in full force.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 21, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Jackass x’s 2!

christene on October 21, 2009 at 2:25 AM

It was the meeting of the “affirmative action bunch

J_Crater on October 21, 2009 at 3:14 AM

jon1979 on October 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM

1ST wild guess,

Helen Thomas

DSchoen on October 21, 2009 at 4:28 AM

Just one mans opinion.
SFTech on October 21, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Did you clear your opinion with the White House before posting it?

DSchoen on October 21, 2009 at 4:32 AM

Allahpundit

Why wouldn’t he be? Just because he’s already in anti-Fox mode doesn’t mean he’s privy to Obama’s anti-Fox game plan. It’s not only about who is attacking Fox and who isn’t, it’s about coming together on a particular strategy that the White House wants to implement.

Not sure why this meeting was necessary though. They could have saved a lot of time by simply beaming it in to their tin foil hats via the mothership like they do every day.

xblade on October 21, 2009 at 5:26 AM

The hell you say….

Attack Fox programs, then butter up MSNBC ones.

What utter wimps.

ted c on October 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM

Well, I actually don’t think Allah has not reached O’Reilly’s level regarding being “fair” to obama. And, I do want to read both sides and to hear the, “In fairness to,” attitude. I want to read truth, and being open to the other side’s motives and reasoning is part of finding the truth. I think it keeps us honest. I think O’Reilly goes beyond that to pandering, and that’s why I seldom watch him anymore. Just my opinion.

texanpride on October 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM

Olbermann, you proclaim you are #1, but we think you are full of #2.

yoda on October 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM

Olberman:

Candidate for a Beat Down.

5u93rm4n on October 21, 2009 at 7:15 AM

1ST wild guess,

Helen Thomas

DSchoen on October 21, 2009 at 4:28 AM

How ’bout Stephenopoulos?

txhsmom on October 21, 2009 at 7:30 AM

I hope Obama and his little trained minions keep it up.
If I can reach down that far, I’ll hand em another shovel.

gordo on October 21, 2009 at 12:19 AM

ROTFLMAO… Come into the digital age… Never pick a fight with people that purchase pixels by the googolbyte…

doriangrey on October 21, 2009 at 7:35 AM

“In fairness to Obama”…Why don’t put it on a t-shirt Allah?

RMR on October 21, 2009 at 7:39 AM

that’s rich coming from this loser

cmsinaz on October 21, 2009 at 7:41 AM

He can’t go on fox to answer real/serious allegations, but can powow with those nuts? The scary thing is that Olby and Maddow are way to the RIGHT of Obama!

marklmail on October 21, 2009 at 7:50 AM

This is a dangerous administration whether AP or BO agrees or not.

apoole on October 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM

Whether the briefing was about attacking Fox or if it was just a regular briefing to make those in attendance feel ’special’, the interesting question is how did Fox get the story? Did they sniff it out on their own, or did one of the news agencies allowed to be part of the inner sanctum leak the information to someone at Fox for use on “Special Report”?

jon1979 on October 21, 2009 at 12:55 AM

Astute and insightful, that’s typical at HA. Thanks Jon.

Blacksmith8 on October 21, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Curly, Larry and Moe

bluegrass on October 21, 2009 at 9:28 AM

When I’m fair to a liberal, it’s not because I care about them. It’s because I care about my readers.

Allahpundit on October 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Really? I get the impression that you regard your readers like the “smelly tourists” that visit DC in the summer.

SKYFOX on October 21, 2009 at 9:51 AM

red131 on October 21, 2009 at 1:45 AM

A Christmas Wish: Murdoch and Limbaugh consortium buys NBC.

Common. It’s Christmas. Think big.

A Christmas Wish: Murdoch and Limbaugh consortium buys GE.

scituate_tgr on October 21, 2009 at 10:16 AM

A Christmas Wish: Murdoch and Limbaugh consortium buys NBC.

I will buy a ticket to see O-boys face when they fire his ass.

royzer on October 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Since we’re being fair, Bush never had a vendetta against any political rivals or opposition media outlets, even though they were pretty much all opposition.

But Bush, for all his faults, was never as partisan as Obama, the supposedly post-partisan president. Strike that, being too non-partisan was in fact one of Bush’s biggest faults.

Once again, Obama pretends to be what Bush really was, while blaming every problem on Bush and claiming he’s setting a wonderful new tone.

tom on October 21, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Allahpundit on October 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM

In fairness to Allahpundit, it ain’t easy being fair. I think AP all too often gives way too much credit to the left, and way too little credit to people on the right. And I would certainly consider that to be a fair criticism.

Regardless, while I don’t always (often?) agree with AP’s take, I appreciate that he’s just trying to get the story right. Even if if does sometimes wind up left.

tom on October 21, 2009 at 3:33 PM