WCPAC interview with Rep. Dana Rohrabacher

posted at 2:20 pm on October 19, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

In the last of the videos I have from Western CPAC, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher meets with the bloggers to discuss the direction of conservatism, his reaction to the call to impeach Barack Obama, and Afghanistan, among a wide variety of topics. Rohrabacher has a reputation for iconoclasm and direct talk, which should make him a favorite among bloggers, and this interview also shows his lack of patience for dealing with fools. Rather than giving an overall analysis, I’ll just toss a few quotes here to whet appetites, because the entire video is well worth watching:

• “Barack Obama’s world vision comes from a Marxist background … I see him as someone who is honestly trying to do what he thinks is right … but we do need to recognize that his world view will lead us into a place that is totally contradictory to what American tradition is all about.”
  • On the call to impeach Obama: “I think that is total nonsense and counterproductive.  … The people making statements like that are trying to raise money from the conservative movement.  … The people elected Obama as President.  We have to face that.”
  • Why he didn’t support removing Rangel from his Ways & Means chair: “When I saw what happened to Tom Delay … just for being accused [of wrongdoing] … that was an abomination of justice.  … I don’t think we should treat Rangel or anyone else as guilty until proven innocent.”
  • On health care players allying with the administration: “You can’t rely on Big Business to do what’s right. … I think that 70% of the doctors don’t agree with [ObamaCare]. … We can succeed if we play it right.  We shouldn’t be talking about impeaching Obama, we should be talking about ObamaCare!”
  • On Tea Parties and the GOP: “Either we side with the patriots, or we won’t win.”
  • Obama’s Afghanistan policy: “I don’t know what it is yet, but I do know that sending 35,000 more American troops makes no sense at all.”

I don’t agree with everything Rohrabacher says here, perhaps most especially on Afghanistan, but he’s much more right than wrong. He doesn’t hold back, either.

Comments

Dana is about the only bright spot conservatives have in Southern California. I walked the precinct for him last election and look forward to doing so again.

LASue on October 19, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Uhm Dana is going crazy lately. He voted against censuring Rangel, and the LAT today has him in the same boat as leftard supremacist Barbara Lee in being against more troops in Afghanistan.

Apologetic California on October 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Dana, to put it politely, is a putz. Just like Barry, great on talk. Short on action.

GarandFan on October 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Did he threaten you, call you an @$$hole, and kick you out?

Tim Burton on October 19, 2009 at 2:32 PM

That’s my special boy congressman. By special, I mean he has a short attention span, constantly gets distracted by something shiny and needs lots of supervision.

Uhm Dana is going crazy lately.

Apologetic California on October 19, 2009 at 2:30 PM

He’s always been crazy. It’s an Orange County tradition to send at least one loose cannon conservative to Washington (see Dornan, Bob). On his looniest day, he is so much better than Bunny Sanchez.

Terrie on October 19, 2009 at 2:37 PM

hey ed, why didn’t you ask the good dana about the taliban? (or abramoff?) this dude is one of the looniest congressmen.

The potential rise to power of the Taliban does not alarm Rohrabacher, because the Taliban could provide stability in an area where chaos was creating a real threat to the U.S.

Rohrabacher calls the sensational media reporting of the “harsh” imposition of strict Islamic behavior, with the underlying implication that this somehow threatens the West, “nonsense.” He says the Taliban are devout traditionalists, not terrorists or revolutionaries, and, in contrast to the Iranians, they do not seem intent on exporting their beliefs. Rohrabacher would have preferred to see a negotiated compromise among the various factions (but with no role for Gulbuddin Hekmatyar) rather than a bloody confrontation. But in the absence of such a compromise, he believes a Taliban takeover would be a positive development.

sesquipedalian on October 19, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I met him last fall as a volunteer knocking on doors for his re-election. He’s a USC alumnus, like me, and a conservative (of a sort) in the middle of southern California. I’ll take what I can get.

joe_doufu on October 19, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I think the Lord Monckton speech is important! Should be thread for that!

(Michael Medved always said not to believe the NWO but this scares me…)

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 2:52 PM

Good interview, Ed. Thanks for getting it for us.

jaime on October 19, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Thanks Ed. Now we know him well.

HE’S MORE WRONG THAN RIGHT.

In general, DANA MUST BE REPLACED SOON.

TheAlamos on October 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM