Romney goes nuclear on White House over Iran talks

posted at 6:47 pm on October 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

Eh, I’ve never liked Mitt as a superhawk. He’s more appealing in statesman/technocrat mode, softer spoken and focused on policy solutions, the way he was after the GM takeover. I know he’s obliged to do a certain amount of this to make the base happy, but how happy is this particular attack likely to make them? New data from WaPo:

talks

Even among the GOP, the split in favor of talks is +57. Ah well. Here he is today addressing AIPAC:

“The Iranian leadership is the greatest immediate threat to the world since the fall of the Soviet Union, and before that, Nazi Germany,” Romney said in a speech Monday to the pro-Israel group AIPAC at their national summit in San Diego, according to excerpts provided to CNN.

“The Iranian regime is unalloyed evil, run by people who are at once ruthless and fanatical,” Romney said. “Stop thinking that a charm offensive will talk the Iranians out of their pursuit of nuclear weapons. It will not. And agreements, unenforceable and unverifiable, will have no greater impact here than they did in North Korea. Once an outstretched hand is met with a clenched fist, it becomes a symbol of weakness and impotence.”

Romney – who has used a series of high-profile speeches to bolster his foreign policy profile in advance of a possible 2012 presidential bid – called on the United States to enact “comprehensive, withering sanctions” coupled with support for “the forces of freedom within Iran.” He demanded that a “credible” military threat must remain on the table if Iranian leadership insists on threatening Israel with annihilation.

He’s right about the futility of talks, but (a) if he has any ideas for a credible military threat, the world is all ears (see also WaPo’s poll data on that) and (b) calling Iran the biggest threat since the Soviet Union is bound to invite some questions about why we went after Baghdad instead of Tehran then. In any event, if he’s eager for The One to shut down talks, he might only have to wait another 24 hours: Now that Iran’s hinted that it’s not prepared to ship its uranium stockpile to Russia for enrichment after all — which was the big supposed “breakthrough” from those talks a few weeks ago — the whole house of cards could come tumbling down as early as tomorrow.

The threats, broadcast on Iranian television and in statements from the country’s atomic energy organization, may have simply been negotiating tactics ahead of negotiations that started in Vienna, the city that saw so many Cold War nuclear talks between the United States and the Soviet Union…

“By the end of these next two days,” one senior administration official in Washington said, “we’ll know if the Iranians are serious and whether we have time” to pursue further diplomacy with Iran without fearing that it could race ahead to produce a weapon.

Exit question via Hitchens: If a confrontation with Iran is inevitable, what do we gain by waiting?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What do we gain by waiting? Watching the Muslim world do another end-zone-dance at our expense.

Maquis on October 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM

He’ll never be President. He is a NE Republican who pushed a healthcare program that failed. Instead of stepping up and admitting he made a mistake by believing it was possible, he defends the indefensible. By the time 2012 roles around, a moderate Republican pushing big government will be as radioactive as Chernobyl.

This is too bad, because he is certainly smart enough to be useful as President. However, the “skateholder” style of government that Obama pushes is only their version of what his concept of big government is all about.

Sorry, I pass. There has to be someone who understands what made this nation great- freedom. Including the freedom not be be taken care of by “big brother.”

archer52 on October 19, 2009 at 9:44 PM

When you listen to him talk – does he sound genuine to you?

He sounds like Bill Clinton to me.

HondaV65 on October 19, 2009 at 9:48 PM

g2825m on October 19, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Good luck and God Bless! I agree with you completely. I haven’t seen the huckster’s sons serve, but no one brings that up. If they aren’t old enough, they should be by now. Romney’s sons are great kids, educated, have good families and are working. Some of you, bright2 (or whatever) have such a hard time with them. Jealousy?
Anyway g2825m, watch your back. Hope you are home soon and safe. Thanks for your service…

Bambi on October 19, 2009 at 10:14 PM

As a long time supporter of Mitt Romney, and my pick for 2012…It appears as if I’m pretty alone among the HotAir crowd.

therightwinger on October 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Dude, go here. It’s mushy central.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Probably renting the RV as we speak…Romney’s either go on missions, or they campaign, but they sure the heck won’t join the military. I don’t think one has ever served in the military, none.
Wait, did Mitt serve?….no, that’s right he was selected to go on a mission in the most horrible location on earth during the VietNam war, France…

right2bright on October 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Oh man, that has to hurt.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Read this post from PowerLine:

Iran has snookered Obambi into retreating on uranium enrichment. The mullahs are playing him for the incompetent rube he is. They will probably have a bomb in a few months, but probably will not attack Israel until they have several.

Obambi is going to sell Israel down the river, and they know it. The only question is when and how they are going to try to take out Iran’s nuclear facilities. The main question in my mind is whether they can do it without a preemptive nuclear strike. I expect that is the thrust of the debate there as well.

An airborne attack with conventional weapons, even ‘bunker-busters’ (which we have refused to sell them), may be too chancy. The only non-nuclear option may be to enlist anti-regime fifth columnists and Israeli commandos to take out the facilities by sabotage.

MrLynn on October 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM

Dude, go here. It’s mushy central.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Heh…Mark Sanford is still listed as a potential candidate there. Hard to let go, I guess.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 11:24 PM

MrLynn on October 19, 2009 at 11:22 PM

I’m glad that you reposted that news. I don’t know if my link worked.

The situation in the ME is appalling. Between what Obamao is fouling up in Iran and in Afghanistan, the world is ready to explode.

onlineanalyst on October 19, 2009 at 11:47 PM

There is a reason you don’t hear much about Huckster’s kids.

joncoltonis on October 20, 2009 at 12:15 AM

right2bright on October 19, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Meanwhile, Palin’s kid just got back from Iraq, serving in a Striker Brigade, and she was Commander-In-Chief of an actual deployed army, plus the Alaska Defense Force.

Even better, according the the person who vetted all of McCain’s potential VPs, A B Culvahouse, the reason Palin was picked was her answers to tough military questions, including whether or not she would use the bomb.

Nothing against Mitt (except he is a RomneyCare signing RINO) but he doesn’t hold a candle to Palin when it comes to the military stuff.

Or the fiscal stuff.

Or…
Or…
Or…

gary4205 on October 20, 2009 at 1:14 AM

Early in the Iraq war it became apparent to all but the most deluded lefties that iran was helping the enemy in multiple ways to kill our soldiers and prevent the building of a legitimate government

Unfortunately George labelled them for what they were thus cementing the need for libtards and commies to prove such untrue with bogus findings and a constant drumbeat against anything that might inflict losses on the culpable

that is why I despise the leaders of the left who would not leave politics at the waters edge

who knows what could have been accmplisjed against deserving targets who still walk as a result of our own fifth column efforts to discredit Bush at EVERY turn

know we get to see obambi and his tribe get shat on regularly

some gratitude for the protectors of evil

and totally earned

Sonosam on October 20, 2009 at 1:47 AM

Given a choice between a Mormon or Obama….Mitt looks pretty good to this Evangelical.

tgharris on October 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM

I am a die hard Palinista, but dammnnn….I am Catholic. I know about the LDS Church, I have received them here at home and all…but I am gonna come out of the closet and confess that I am more of a Marian girl :D

It is gettin’ pretty hard for me to accept other faiths that just don’t care where Jesus sprouted from/heeeyyyy, from a bean? Wheat? Rice? Fish?/sarc!!!!!!!!!!!

To not accept/acknowledge/see that special honor of Mary, chosen by God and not see Her statues in other religion’s churches *like She did not exist and She did not suffer nuthin’* is beyond me. I get depressed. And, oh yeah, Mitt.

I don’t wanna turn into Glenn Beck and ask bold questions here, b/c I don’t wanna hijack the thread, turn this into Theology 101 and brings back a conversation I had with my priest about this matter.

End: Don’t you think Jesus will honor you, if you honor His Blessed Mother?

ProudPalinFan on October 19, 2009 at 7:58 PM

I’m loath to derail the thread myself, but I’ll give the opposing viewpoint, so to speak.

Matthew 12:46-50
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him.
47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee.
48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?
49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

According to Jesus himself, we should not elevate his physical family above anyone else. Any follower or disciple of Jesus is just as much part of His family as His mother and brothers.

Honor to Mary is appropriate, but not to the extent that Mary is venerated above all others.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM

BUT HE’S NON-DIVISIVE.

THE “INDEPENDENTS” LIKE HIM. YOU KNOW, THE BIDEN AND MCCAIN STUFF.

So, kudos to Mitt … the possible 2012 GOP nominee. [Mitt, beware of Huck's evangelicals.]

Obamanation is smiling to us all.

TheAlamos on October 20, 2009 at 2:01 AM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 20, 2009 at 1:56 AM

Obama is Jesoos Crist. So Stop Religion. Your sitting president is practically a god. MSM is teaching you:

WORSHIP HIM!

AVOID FOXES! THEY ARE BLASPHEMOUS TO THE ONE.

TheAlamos on October 20, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I agree with Hitchens’ take on Iran. We have nothing to gain by waiting. A military campaign focused almost exclusively on the destruction of the Republican Guard and the obliteration of Iran’s nuclear capabilities would work. With those two objectives accomplished, we could leave Iran to freedom-hungry Iranians without the need for a long occupation and the risk of an Iraq-like insurgency a lengthy occupation would almost certainly invite. However, even the risk of an insurgency is acceptable to a certainty of a nuclear-capable militant Islamic Iran.

That said, nothing will be done–not by the United States, anyway. President Obama truly believes he is a master of diplomacy, with amazing gifts of empathy and insight and powers of persuasion far above those of normal men. So we must watch and do nothing while the mullahs acquire the ability to destroy their neighbors and assume hegemony in the Middle East. It is a profoundly depressing prospect with unknowable ramifications.

For my part, I don’t understand why the President doesn’t perceive any of this. Aside from those Chicago political hacks who came with him from Chicago, the President is surrounded by intelligent men and women–hardcore liberals, to be sure, but surely smart enough to see what’s going on and know when they’re being played. They can’t all be fools.

troyriser_gopftw on October 20, 2009 at 3:46 AM

lol. Forgive the redundancy in the last paragraph above. It’s late/early morning in Indiana, and I evidently can’t get enough of the word ‘Chicago’.

troyriser_gopftw on October 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Could anyone explain why they’d support Mitt? He seems a RINO and frankly, he puts me to sleep when he speaks as surely as a badly written sermon.

Jeff from WI on October 20, 2009 at 4:29 AM

I fear the GOP establishment is going to shove Huckabee down our throat.

davecatbone on October 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM

davecatbone on October 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM

If polls look the same in a year and a half, worry. Right now this is just for Allah’s amusement.

Cindy Munford on October 20, 2009 at 5:49 AM

The Iranians will never be serious about talks, they just will not. They have no desire to give in to anyone. I read this morning that they are refusing to continue talks if the French are involved, because Sarkozy made them mad.

Terrye on October 20, 2009 at 7:02 AM

I fear the GOP establishment is going to shove Huckabee down our throat.

davecatbone on October 20, 2009 at 5:18 AM

You know, I forgot Huckabee’s first name.I think it’s Dufus.

Jeff from WI on October 20, 2009 at 7:07 AM

It is more about the GOP finally figuring out that the support isn’t inside the beltway. There are folks in the country who want a candidate with values and conservative principles that is big on defense. Enter Sarah Palin.

psychocyber on October 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM

This Romney post only got 122 comments in 13 hours?

Sorry Mitt. FAILURE TO LAUNCH.

portlandon on October 20, 2009 at 10:58 AM

Wacademic begs for a cluebatting;

Indiana-U: Misunderstanding Iran

…They’re just trying to show us that they can make a bomb – they don’t actually want to use one.

Which is why most Americans overreact about an Iranian nuclear program. Iran is not a crackpot dictatorship hell-bent on American and European destruction. It actually has one of the most pro-American populations in the Middle East.

Iran is concerned not with wreaking havoc but with building prestige. They want respect, not violence.

Let’s start giving them a little.

/comments thread beckons

Terp Mole on October 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Romney is a fraud, he just needs to go away.

nelsonknows on October 20, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I believe that 99% of Iranians are not a threat, but than again they aren’t calling the shots and when they tried ( can you say election ) they were shot

that’s a single piece of mass ignorance that should get the writer an appointment in the adminstration

Sonosam on October 20, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Where was he when those poor folks were raging in the streets in June? Sorry, Mitt. Too little too late.
I like, Mitt, too, but he just doesn’t………..(fill in the blank)
BetseyRoss on October 19, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Just because you didn’t hear about it didn’t mean he didn’t respond. Here:

Former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney said on Sunday that the Obama administration’s approach to Iran was “entirely wrong-headed” and made the case that the contested results of that country’s elections proved that the president’s policy of apologizing for America was “not working.” …

Romney began, however, by arguing that Barack Obama’s remark that there was a “robust debate” in Iran had proven to be badly off the mark, as witnessed by “brutal repression” of election day protesters. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s widely contested victory, he added, was another indication that Obama’s approach to the Middle East and world at large wasn’t working.

“It’s very clear that the president’s policy of going around the world and apologizing for America is not working,” said Romney. “North Korea is not just saber rattling. They’ve taken the saber out of the sheath. Iran is moving head alone towards nuclearization. Russia is on the same course they were on. And all the apologies he provided to the Europeans have not led any of the European nations to provide any additional support for us in Afghanistan. Look, just sweet talk and criticizing America is not go doing enhance freedom in the world.”

Buy Danish on October 20, 2009 at 4:42 PM

The truth is, we have been at war with Iran since Jimmy Carter the first was President. We have been fighting them directly or via proxy for decades.

So far, Iran is winning.