Rasmussen: Romney, Huckabee crushing Palin head to head among Republican likely voters

posted at 4:46 pm on October 19, 2009 by Allahpundit

C’mon. You know I had to.

Among likely Republican primary voters, Palin now trails former Arkansas governor-turned-Fox-TV-host Mike Huckabee by 20 points – 55% to 35%.

When her opponent is ex-Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney, Palin loses by 15 – 52% to 37%…

Twenty-one percent (21%) of primary voters also say Palin is the GOP candidate they would least like to see win the party’s presidential nomination. Just nine percent (9%) say the same of Romney, and eight percent (8%) feel that way about Huckabee…

Suggesting that Romney’s Mormon faith may still be a problem among some Christian conservatives, Palin leads him by 14 points – 52% to 38% – among GOP primary voters who describe themselves as Evangelical Christians. But Romney beats Palin by 26 points among other Protestants – 58% to 32% – and holds similar winning margins among Catholic voters and those of other faiths.

My suspicion, especially in light of that 21 percent figure, is that this is mainly a measure of Palin vs. Anyone But Palin and has little to do with Huck or Mitt on their own merits. Polls of Romney’s and Huckabee’s approval show that upwards of 30 percent are undecided about them versus just 10 percent for Sarahcuda. In a match-up between “I don’t know him” and “I don’t like her,” no surprise that the undecideds are going to break for the former — which is good news for Palin, since the gap’s bound to narrow as the public becomes more acquainted with the bad points of her competition. What is surprising, and what may puncture my theory, is that this is a poll of likely Republican primary voters, not the general public. It stands to reason that they’re more familiar with Romney and Huckabee than the average joe and it confounds the conventional wisdom that they’re not better disposed to Palin, who’s supposed to be the darling of the shrunken Republican base. How to read this, then? As proof that Huck and Mitt are still relatively unknown even among GOP primary voters? Or as proof that the party’s tent is actually bigger than people think?

While we’re talking Sarahcuda, Conservatives 4 Palin has a smart post about how she’s using new media to get her message out unfiltered by the media prism. Anita Dunn’s taking flak today from the right for supposedly saying that Team Barry used the Internet last year to “control” the media, but C4P is right: What she meant was that the media can’t be trusted to deliver a candidate’s message just the way he/she wants it, so the only option is to “control” them by putting the message out to the public through direct online communications. Palin’s learned that lesson better than her competitors. So far.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Palin is suffering from a paradox — the majority of the GOP loves her (or at least has a lot of affection for her) but is afraid she couldn’t win. So, she has to convince them that she can. Her effort to reset herself with the public begins on November 17 when she starts her book tour. She will be on every national program (well, except for CBS and, maybe, Oprah) for days after that. If she does well and starts to venture out making speeches, going on the stupid Sunday shows, etc. she can start to show people she isn’t the Tinay Fey caricature. If she flubs…

SCSoxFan on October 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Good point. Instead of putting GOP’s fate to Mrs. Baggage Palin, the GOP voters will take the CONSERVATIVE approach of nominating non-divisive Huck, Romney, etc.

Obama’s WH response:

Dear All Republicans,

Thanks, GOP voters for nominating Huck or Romney.
In the end, you became “non-racist” (friendly to me.)

Sincerely yours,

Barack Hussein Obama
President of USSA
2009-2016

TheAlamos on October 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

That’s not true. If Mitt were the nominee, I would vote for him.

NoLeftTurn on October 19, 2009 at 5:39 PM

So would I. Like I voted for McCain. Who lost.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Good. She\’s a wonderful woman but she would be a disaster in a general election. Let\’s hope she takes this to heart.

Anders on October 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Look everyone,….Jetboy uses the Phone a friend option.

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 5:31 PM

Now now…jealousy does not become you, lover.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Doesn’t bother me at all. Just like Palin’s evangelicalism and unwed-mother daughter and hairstyle and speech patterns and educational background don’t bother me at all. All, by the way, as relevant as Mitt’s Mormonism.
ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Apples. Oranges.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 5:45 PM

No it isn’t. Mitt’s religion is as fair game as Palin’s family or personal characteristics. You think anything about Mitt is going to be off-limits, while anything Palin is fair game? LOL

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

Palin’s negatives are MAXED OUT

Huck & Mitt have not yet begun to garner hate, but they will.

Easy decision.

Palin crushes them. That’s why Obama is afraid of her. She is a “joke”, but is polling at 40% vs his nobel winning behind.

As long as she doesn’t cry and roll into a ball in the first debate, she beats obama hands down b/c of low expectations.

PALIN FTW

battleoflepanto1571 on October 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

darwin on October 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM

BRAVO!!!

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

What I’m beginning to see here is that the anti-Palin’s have mustered into a group … or actually more like a cult.

Look in the mirror.

darwin on October 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

First off, we’re not “anti” Palin. Most just don’t choose Palin as their first choice. Or don’t think she’s ready for the POTUS job. If anything, I’m more turned off by Palinista cultists like yourself than by Sarah Palin herself. Most of ya are birthers too, right? Go figure.

Second, we’re far from a “group”. Not choosing to worship at the feet of her holiness is about all we agree on.

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Now now…jealousy does not become you, lover.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM

LOL. Hugs & kisses.

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 5:49 PM

You people pushing Palin for President in 2012 need to spend a little bit of time in CA, NY, FL, MA, NJ, CT, even TN and NC. PLEASE GET REAL.

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Most of ya are birthers too, right? Go figure.

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Probably not. There are quite a few of us.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

i like palin a lot, because she’s authentic, but i am by no means a ‘cultist’

i support her because she did a great job in alaska, and connects with REAL AMERICA (forgive me, o msnbc!)

with that said, when she does something stupid, or bad, i’ll call her on it.

there is no palin “CULT”. there are palin SUPPORTERS ,just as there were fred! supporters in 2007.

but unless you see palin fans doing this: http://obamamessiah.blogspot.com/ , there is no cult

battleoflepanto1571 on October 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Huckabee is DOA. Romney-Palin ticket (provided SP gets her policy act together) has significant promise. Will someone completely unknown get traction? HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Not a chance in Hell. Sarah is an alpha and will not be a Veep. She will be ready, courage and all.

Palin/Romney MAYBE if Sarah thinks she has to make a unite the party move like Reagan picking Bush.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Most of ya are birthers too, right? Go figure.

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

I’m certainly not. Would you like to make up any more facts about me?

Snowed In on October 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM

And anyone pushing Romney needs to spend more time in states other than those mentioned. Get real. (By the way, I see the entire South going red in 2012, whomever the GOP nominee may be.)

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Look in the mirror.

darwin on October 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Right. Take a waltz back to the July 4th weekend, and Ed’s post about Palin’s resignation.

Pretty good representation of what you claim is a mirror image. I don’t deny that some are just pure Palin haters, like The Wall and Poptech(good riddance to them both), but they’re vastly outnumbered, and both sides of that coin could well be done without.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM

DUMBEST COMMENT OF THE DAY

Which of those states doesa republican need to win?

TN and NC and FL.

‘Bama won NC and FL because of A) black turnout and B) conservative UNenthusiasm for mccain

Put a conservative on the ticket and both those are won by the gop.

TN hasn’t been blue in years, so don’t worry about that one.

Why should i care about NJ or CA? When did Bush ever need those states?!?!?!

battleoflepanto1571 on October 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Exactly. I like Palin a lot. A LOT.

But at this point, she’s not my first choice for the nominee in 2012.

But I sure as hell am not supporting Boehner, Crist, or any of the other crap candidates that JetBoy has touted.

/Love ya, JetBoy ;-)

Abby Adams on October 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Liz Cheney 13% (576 votes)

Huckabee 8% (384 votes)

Palin 63% (2,889 votes)

Pawlenty 4% (178 votes)

Romney 12% (531 votes)

Total Votes: 4,558

This was the result from Hot Air’s own poll.

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I’ll have to qualify that. I don’t think Romney could carry the whole South.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

I adore her but I still think she opened an entirely new front of criticism in any future electoral effort by leaving the job in AK. No need to rehash the reasons; I understand and I am sympathetic.

I’d love to see her spend her time inspiring and developing future office-holders, whether R or I.

DrSteve on October 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:48 PM

Nothing I wrote could be construed as rabid support for Palin. You’re reading things that aren’t there and now you’re calling me a birther.

Secondly, you are a group. A group that rather seamlessly attached the mantle of victimhood to itslef. Always crying about the mean Palin supporters. Grow some balls.

darwin on October 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Exactly. I like Palin a lot. A LOT.

But at this point, she’s not my first choice for the nominee in 2012.

/Love ya, JetBoy ;-)

Abby Adams on October 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Stolen from my lips.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Sarah Palin is not a serious candidate for the presidency. That is not to say she never will be, just that she is not now. Huckabee will never be a serious candidate. He’s found his niche as a talk show host. That’s where he belongs. Mitt Romney has many gifts that would serve the country well, but he’s come off as petty when he’s needed to appear substantial. I think his talents could outweigh his considerable negatives, but a one-term governor of a liberal state, even if her weren’t a Mormon, would have a hard time rallying the base. Mitt’s the most electable of the three and would no doubt do the best job. Unfortunately, he would elicit the least amount of passion among Republican supporters.

ktrush on October 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

Midas on October 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Ten years of Huckabee was more than enough for me, thanksverymuch. I’ll do what I like. And I probably wouldn’t stay home; I’d probably vote for the Libertarian candidate. But that’s as good as staying home to many on this blog.

NoLeftTurn on October 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

“Three years before the 2000 election, the head-to-head primary polls on the Democratic side correctly identified Al Gore as the front runner, but had George W. Bush running behind Colin Powell, who never ran:”

WH ‘00 Dem Primary Averages
46% Al Gore
10% Jesse Jackson
9% Bill Bradley
7% Dick Gephardt
4% Bob Kerrey
3% John Kerry

WH ‘00 GOP Primary Averages
29% Colin Powell
17% George W. Bush
13% Jack Kemp
11% Elizabeth Dole
10% Dan Quayle

The polls for the 2004 Democratic primary provided “the best example of tainted primary polls.” Three candidates who did not run (Gore, Clinton & Bradley) dominated the early trial heats, while the ultimate “frontrunners” (Kerry, Edwards & Dean) barely registered:

WH ‘04 Dem Primary Averages
41% Al Gore
19% Hilary Clinton
9% Joe Lieberman
8% Bill Bradley
7% Dick Gephardt
4% John Kerry
2% John Edwards
2% Bob Kerrey

Which brings us to the horse race numbers for 2008. You can look at each result over at the Polling Report, or check these averages computed by the Hotline:

WH ‘08 Dem Primary Average
40% Hilary Clinton
19% John Kerry
14% John Edwards
6% Joe Biden
3% Wesley Clark

***Guess who’s missing from this poll? The current President Barrack MaoBama.

WH ‘08 GOP Primary Average
31% Rudy Guliani
27% John McCain
16% Condoleezza Rice*
10% Jeb Bush*
7% Newt Gingrich
*Rice & Bush included on only two polls

Call me unimpressed with the track record of polls 3 years out.

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

battleoflepanto1571: Palin’s got my vote if she gets the nomination. She will get you your political orgasm, but she will not win in 2012 as President. You have tunnel vision–sad, but true.

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Palin. The left has poisoned her persona so much by calling her dumb and depicting her as a nutter. I’d like the truth! The truth about her ability is hardly out there for conventional wisdom to ascertain. They did to her what they successfully did to George W. Bush for 8 long years. Goebbels would be proud.

I have no idea whether I support her or not. The truth would be nice…the truth on her is rarer than rocking horse poop.

I think most people are angry the Left got away with their cartoony depiction of her.

BESIDES…with Turkmenbama at the helm, it opens all the door for any bloody incompetent to have a go at the Presidency. He is the bottom of the barrel. He is lower than whale crap. The bar is now that low.

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

I prefer Mitt. He has the best plan for socialized health care, is better qualified to manage the national economy, and besides, its his turn.

james23 on October 19, 2009 at 5:59 PM

This is, what, at least the third thread on the exact same Rasmussen poll? A poll dealing with an election over three years away, no less? Pretty silly, since if Sarah Palin is “just not ready for prime time,” she really has nowhere to go but up. (And that’s assuming she’s even planning to run in 2012.)

Aitch748 on October 19, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I think there is room for Percy’s passion…whether one agrees or not.

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM

No, there really isn’t. That level of mindless adoration is stupid, insipid, and a drag on the party, as well as on Conservatism. I expect that crap from Obama worshipers – it has no place in what is supposed to be the party of adults.

Palin got hurt really bad by not being prepared for those interviews. Although the media was unfair, she was unable to demonstrate enough command of policy to combat the impression that she was ignorant.

I think having resigned will also hurt her. I can appreciate her argument that the investigation was preventing her from doing her job, but from the outside, it looks extremely weak.

Palin is great at communicating with the base, but I haven’t seen her communicate effectively with the middle. No one has ever won an election with only the base. Ever.

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Except for the southern states you mentioned, please get real if you think ANY Republican has a chance in hell of winning those states.

Things have changed quite a bit since 1984, Paris.

NoLeftTurn on October 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM

The greatest thing for the Left to fear is if she decides NOT to run.

michaelo on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

This is so depressing to keep reading these anti-Palin posts. This poll is meaningless for many reasons. A few being:

1. Palin has been off the radar for most americans since last year. Most people I know are not up-to-speed on political matters and don’t spend a lot of time on the internet reading political blogs, facebook, Twitter, etc. It stands to reason, then, that they are more familiar with Huckabee whose face is on TV all the time and Romney who had quite a bit of exposure last year – and both of them continue to be seen and heard by the public.

Most americans would very much agree with Palin on her policy positions IF THEY WERE AWARE OF WHAT THOSE POSITIONS ARE. She needs to get herself out and about and talk policy. It is going to be extremely hard because the press only wants to show her in a negative light.

2. I suspect Romney is popular because he has a reputation with most of the public as being a financial wiz and the country is tanking economically and people are looking for an economic saviour. However, what most people don’t know is that Romney has supported some unpopular positions (TARP, auto bailout) and his healthcare in Mass. is having serious problems. I think that once these things become known, it will hurt him in a future run.

3. I’m almost getting to the point of throwing in the political towel. It seems like the wave of opposition to conservatism is just so damn strong that no one who is conservative will be able to withstand it. Such a damn shame that we’ve let our country lurch so far to the left WITH BOTH PARTIES. I swear I hate both of these parties right now.

Sorry, but I’m so damn tired of being beaten down for everything that matters to me in my life. I’m tired of being called a tea bagger, a racist, a bigot, uncaring, selfish, a hypocrit, evil, and on and on . . .

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Mitt Romney has many gifts that would serve the country well….

ktrush on October 19, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I liked Romney during the Primaries. McCain was the last on my list, but ROMNEYCARE has ended all chances for him to earn my vote. The Democrat-Lite Republicanism has got to be killed off. His support of taking over the auto industry didn’t help him either.

I will not at this time vote for Pawlenty.
I will never vote for Huckabee.
I will vote for Palin
I will vote for Jindal

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM

“LOL”. Ugh. Other than Mitt being a Mormon (which very few people care about), and issues with his health insurance proposals for Massachussetts (which is not ObamaCare, but I digress) how exactly are they going to “Palinize” Mitt? Nothing that you mentioned as a weakness for Palin are issues for Mitt.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM

I’m not “pushing” Romney – it’s too early. There are many fine possibilities out there. I do object to a lot of the “arguments” in opposition to him – most of which are unduly venomous. But f.y.i., I live in Georgia and have lived in South Carolina. That’s not to say that Mitt doesn’t have his work cut out for him, just that your argument fails right out of the box.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM

I’m certainly not. Would you like to make up any more facts about me?

Snowed In on October 19, 2009 at 5:51 PM

I said “most”…not “all”…read fer cripes sake.

Exactly. I like Palin a lot. A LOT.

But at this point, she’s not my first choice for the nominee in 2012.

/Love ya, JetBoy ;-)

Abby Adams on October 19, 2009 at 5:53 PM

lol…

Love ya back ;) But Boehner…is crappy? Oh, Abby…

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Here’s a thought:

I have moderated several message boards in my day. When someone is deliberately hateful, I just banned them. If some people cross the line here such that they violate the terms of use — and I admit that AP takes a lot of unwarranted abuse from some at times — then why not just boot them? Problem solved.

NoLeftTurn on October 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I will not at this time vote for Pawlenty.
I will never vote for Huckabee!!!!!
I will never vote for Romney!!!!!
I will vote for Palin
I will vote for Jindal

bill30097 on October 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I’ll have to qualify that. I don’t think Romney could carry the whole South.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Agree. Romney would not win several must-win baptist states in the South.

Likewise, Huckabee would not win several several must-win mormon states in the West.

Nominating either one would result in an geographically fractured GOP that would hand Obama his second term.

Palin is the only one who could win both in my opinion.

Norwegian on October 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:43 PM

Some truths are self evident.

BetseyRoss on October 19, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Don’t you get it by now, Zero will not allow elections in 2012. He’s going to be our dear leader for life. Learn it, love it, live it.

Kissmygrits on October 19, 2009 at 6:07 PM

I think that Sarah’s positives can only rise and that she will be competitive in 2012. It will be nice to vote for a Republican candidate and not against the democrat.

farright on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

You cannot give up. Palin gets my vote and my donations. Anytthing left over goes to arms and ammo, we’ll need it.

Onager on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

…and that right there is the essence of the cult mentality.

MadisonConservative on October 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM

“Denial is proof!” Yes, we must all take a giant, steaming s— on Sarah Palin several times a day or we’re fanatics.

This dsypeptic, irrational obsession with Palin is the worst feature of HotAir.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

“LOL”. Ugh.

Awwww. A prissy purist. Sometimes. You know what LOL means.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:03 PM

He can be “Palinized” in any number of ways. It doesn’t have to be a carbon copy of Palin’s own time in the Smear Machine. “Mitt’s a pathetic flip-flopper.” “Mitt’s an airheaded, hair-helmeted Ted Baxter. Mitt’s a silver-spoon type out of touch with ‘middle America’.” Mitt hit and kiled a guy on the road. “Killer!!!!”

You just keep on thinking Mitt’s untouchable, unlike that idiot from Alaska. You’re in for a rude awakening. Repeat a meme often enough, it becomes gospel.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I was speaking about his level of passion to disagree with Allah. Until this thread, I had no idea of the contentious war between pro and anti-Palins. I felt he was strongly passionate and in my opinion, he did NOT take it over the line. Allah has been posting many of these polls lately so the annoyance of some is going to be more palpable. I stand behind my first statement. Some feel his way, some don’t.

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

This was the result from Hot Air’s own poll.
portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 5:54 PM

Why, it’s so scientific, it must mean that Palin is numero uno with Republicans and Independents everywhere!

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

An-n-n-n-nd the Palin obsession continues.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 5:02 PM

You still don’t understand.

It is NOT an obsession with Palin.

It is an obsession about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It is an obsession with common sense over elitism.

It is an obsession with our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

It is an obsession for government reform and accountability.

It is an obsession over our childrens’ future.

It is an obsession that we as Americans stand up for our sovereignty in the world.

It is an obsession over the spiraling debt and plummeting dollar.

It is an obsession over rampant careerism and corruption in our federal government.

It is an obsession over the abuses of the housing/mortgage industries and the government interference that triggered the recession.

It is an obsession with whether babies have a right to life, and that we don’t railroad our girls and women into murdering their own children.

It is an obsession with fighting against indoctrination in our schools.

It is an obsession with the high trade deficits and not using our own energy resources.

I could go on and on.

ONLY Sarah obsesses over the same things we as Americans do. She feels it because she is one of us.

Could another person come along with such authenticity, humility, selflessness, and charisma?

Maybe. Until then she has my 100% support and then some.

When she stops obsessing like us, and becomes like Romney and Huck a triangulating politician who changes her views for political reasons rather than new facts come to light, I look for somebody else.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

If either Huck or Romney are nominees in 2012, they will need to work hard to get my vote for the following:
Romney supports universal healthcare-same as obama
Huck made his state a sanctuary state- same view of obama
Sarah does not follow the same line as McCain on amnesty BTW, but believes along to similar to Fred! Right now, and unless she doesn’t run or makes a major faux pas, she has my vote

ConservativePartyNow on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

This is one of the reasons I like Palin. She knows the media is deliberately trying to bring her down so she’s counterpunching with getting her message out to the public through other ways. Very smart. It’s something else she has in common with Huckabee and why I say Palin supporters and Huckabee supporters should be allies. Huck dealt with the same propoganda was against him during the Republican primaries when the media tried to force McCain and Romney onto us as the only candidates we had to choose from. As an added bonus, the Republican Establishment; ie, Rush Limbo, Beck, Hannity, Ingraham, (and other radio hosts) dishonestly attacked him because they were all rallying for Romney.

apacalyps on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Regardless of any poll out there.
Mitt and Huck are toast and are unelectable.

Kini on October 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Huckabee has topped the ppp polls where he runs the best against Obama.

Huckabee has consistently had high favorability numbers.

Huckabee beat Romney head to head 44:39.

Bottom line, Huckabee can win in the general. While those on the left may not agree with his policies, they like him, and can see that he would not be as partisan as some other republicans.

texasconserv on October 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Onager on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

The only thing I’m fighting for is my kids future. There is no denying that there is a liberal steamroller in this country that we have let become as powerful as it has because of complacency on conservates part. I only hope it isn’t too late to stop, but if Obama is successful in amnesty, healthcare, or cap & trade – it’s game, set and match.

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:11 PM

NoLeftTurn, yes, I know no R is going to win most, or all of those states, but by using them as a focus group, you gain insight into the weaknesses and strengths various candidates would have elsewhere, say MI, or MN, or NC (where, by the way, Obama will still get all of the black vote, etc.). My suspicion is that most people pining for Palin in 2012 have the exact opposite issue I have: they live in a place McCain won; and Bush definitely won, twice.

A sober assesment of prospect keeps the purple states in mind, the MSM in mind, and recalls that while Obama won only 52% of the popular vote, he won by 360(?) to 165 electoral votes. An all-South strategy isn’t going to win.

And remember, a large chunk of people will still blame “Bush and the Republicans” for the likely miserable state of the economy.

You guys need to get out of conservative dreamland.

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Palin lover!…boo-his-s-s-s-s-s!

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I’m fully aware of the dirt-throwing capabilities of the other side. I’m discouraged by the internecine warfare on our side. But no matter how you slice it, Mitt can be criticized but he cannot be “Palinized”.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

I said “most”…not “all”…read fer cripes sake.

If you say most, then you’re assuming about any of us without taking the time to see people independently. You’re mincing your own words.

Snowed In on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Here’s a thought:

NoLeftTurn on October 19, 2009 at 6:05 PM

I get the sense that AP likes the rough-and-tumble atmosphere here. Plus its a lot of work to police the comments, and it opens you up to everyone feeling they are treated unfairly when their side gets censored; people tend to view their friends’ transgressions more kindly than their enemies’).

In the end, the ugly comments reflect poorly on the people who make them, so why not let them stand for all to see?

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

+1000 :o)

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Romney needs to clarify his position of healthcare. But wait, I just wrote that last week. I am done here.

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Nice goof, AP.

However, it’s all pointless right now. No current front-runner will survive the first votes cast. Wait and see how it plays out. There will be some mighty surprising twists and turns when the election cycle kicks in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Sarah Palin in the thick of it. I do think our next Republican nominee will be a strong conservative. Or I hope so, for our nation’s sake.

Tennman on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

No difference. Most of the “criticism” I’ve seen here of Palin is more of the cheap-shot variety to which ANYone is vulnerable. Mitt can be criticized, he can be smeared, he can be ridiculed, he can be destroyed.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Sorry – forgot to deal with this:

“LOL”. Ugh.
Awwww. A prissy purist. Sometimes. You know what LOL means.

It has nothing to do with being prissy or a purist. It has to do with the tone of your comments, which are often obnoxious.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

The problem with Huckabee is like the birthers he is one of those “Fair Tax” folks. That would be almost as bad as Obamacare.

Dire Straits on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM

And you can hardly wait to pull out the long knives!

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I get the sense that AP likes the rough-and-tumble atmosphere here traffic.

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Snowed In on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Palin lover!…boo-his-s-s-s-s-s!

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Read Sapwolf’s comment above – then maybe you’ll get it.

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Really? Tsk tsk. “I don’t like” doesn’t equal “obnoxious”.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:14 PM
And you can hardly wait to pull out the long knives!

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Huh? I wouldn’t be doing it. How many Mitt threads have I posted in and talked about how “unelectable” he is? Although I will probably feel a little Schadenfreude at all those who were saying we couldn’t nominate an unelectable laughingstock.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Like I said before, I like Palin, but we really have to concede that the Left has destroyed her as a candidate and move on. I honestly like her a lot, *and* think that nominating her would do nothing but guarantee another term for the Dems.

Sad. Not fair. Perhaps – but also reality.

Midas on October 19, 2009 at 5:14 PM

The same thing happened to Reagan AND he was down in polls in the GOP too.

Remember that those who hate her are part of the 40% who will never vote for her anyway. She does not need to persuade them. She merely needs to move 5% of the vote back to the GOP column in 2012 and get the GOP people who voted for Obama back.

That’s it.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM

You still don’t understand.

It is NOT an obsession with Palin.

It is an obsession about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

It is an obsession with common sense over elitism.

It is an obsession with our Constitution and the Declaration of Independence.

It is an obsession for government reform and accountability.

It is an obsession over our childrens’ future.

It is an obsession over the spiraling debt and plummeting dollar.

It is an obsession with fighting against indoctrination in our schools.

I could go on and on.

Maybe. Until then she has my 100% support and then some.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Clearly, you misunderstood. The obsession I was referring to is AllahPundit’s obsession with Palin and his need to disparage her even when she’s not really in the news.

I agree with AP on a lot of things but his, erm, endless arousal over Palin is ridiculous.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Well, in fairness to AP we can’t knock him all over the place just because a poll doesn’t say what we’d like. Palin has work to do if she’s going to run in the future, that can’t be denied.

ddrintn on October 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Read Sapwolf’s comment above – then maybe you’ll get it.

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I can appreciate genuine passion, but that does not excuse calling the blog host a POS and referring to his “butt buddies”. What is he, in third grade? That’s not passion, its childishness.

There is nothing wrong with disagreeing, but Percy’s way over the line. I’d also add that it doesn’t help Palin when some of her supporters behave like little kids.

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Up until the 2008 primary season, it looked as if it were going to be a Subway Sweepstakes between Hillary C. and Rudy G. As we all found out quickly enough, the script was obviously not followed.

*If* Palin wants the GOP nomination, she is going to have to fight for it like anyone else. I suspect that she will have a daunting task of changing the narrative than most, but the majority of the base is going to give her a fairer shake than anyone else, and it is the base that will shape the outcome to a large degree.

The Moderates and Independents are already squishy, so she might as well work on them *after* she secures the base. Methinks that when push comes to shove, four years of Obama will sour enough people to want to give the GOP a second look.

Even if she doesn’t run for POTUS in 2012 (or any other year), she will still be a force to be reckoned with for decades to come. As long as her compass remains true, a lot of us Palin fans will stick with her.

itzWicks on October 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

OH, my danish friend, I was posting it in regards to somebody pulling their hair out, tearing their robes and gnashing their teeth to the fact that HotAir had so many Palin supporters or Palinistas as they call them.

portlandon on October 19, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I understand Rino. AP can take it, I reckon. Plus he knew his thread would goad…just look at his opening line. AP can take it. He’s an alpha-male.

Gob on October 19, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Did Allah give Percy the boot??

Dire Straits on October 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM

America today reminds me of pre-revolutionary France. Washington is like the French court – astoundingly insular and disdainful of the “commoners” while not understanding the depth of the rage they are fueling with their detachment and arrogance.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Interesting comparison and there is some overlap.

It can be compared to a elitists vs. peasants situation.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I get the sense that AP likes the rough-and-tumble atmosphere here traffic.

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Snowed In on October 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Touche. Though isn’t that what I said?

RINO in Name Only on October 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I have an idea. Why don’t we wait for the primarys and see who gets in. Then we can see what they have to say and make up our minds. For now, I think we should support anyone calling out the One on his policies.

smokinjoe on October 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I was being sarcastic.

Django on October 19, 2009 at 6:22 PM

My apologies for being slow on the uptake.

Sapwolf – thanks for the great posts. Your giving me a reason to hope that we can still win the war.

KickandSwimMom on October 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I am officially on a quixotic mission to speak personally to SP and MR. But I will not be a stalker ;-)

ParisParamus on October 19, 2009 at 6:28 PM

In other news (according to AP) … Joe the Plumber was audited and found wanting.

Fuquay Steve on October 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM

I just don’t like to see the Right demanding an equivalent One-Leader-to-Rule mentality as the Left is so gulliblely ascribed to.

Lourdes on October 19, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I will switch loyalties ASAP as soon as I find somebody better.

Until then, my rifle belongs to the Arctic Fox Brigade.

The problem people here have by promoting Huck and Mitt is that if one of them wins, we are now STUCK with them.

Think of that. A waffly flip-flopper like Mitt who will go moderate and allow the government to grow and the Huckster who will go with growing government because that is what he does in power.

ONLY SARAH actually CUT SPENDING.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM

allahjackoff has got to be the most annoying p.o.s out there with his “oh my’s”

you’ve been saying that for 2 years – come up with something new moron

i have NO doubt that if palin wants it, not only does she get the nomination, but she’ll be president in ’13

and i cant wait until allawhatever wants to hang himself over it!

sidewinder22 on October 19, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Típus a SZÖVEG ön kívánság–hoz lefordít itt, en egyetért.

( I agree, more or less, and pass the paprika )

Janos Hunyadi on October 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM

On page 2 … According to AP, God places last, behind humanism and atheism in race for minds of wealthy, indolent, enlightened and environmentally sensitive north americans.

Fuquay Steve on October 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Well… must not be conservative/liberal??? enough. McCain crushed Romney and Huck…. Obama crushed McCain…. I’m sure they are better candidates… just need to be more like Obama.

CC

CapedConservative on October 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

JetBoy,

Mitt and Huck ARE RINOs.

They will lead to low GOP turnout and Obama wins AGAIN.

They cannot be trusted.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM

I just hope that Palin stays away from UFO Looking balloons.

Dire Straits on October 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Like I said in another thread, how do we know that she’s smart and independent enough to not be a blank canvas for the Republican establishment like Bush was? That’s what most voters are thinking right now, thus why her favorability is so low even among Republicans.

The Dean on October 19, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Because of her record fighting her own corrupt GOP in Alaska, and her careful steps keeping her distance from the RINO David Keanes of the world.

Her insticts are quite good. You really need to follow her and other candidates closer.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I see the american people are again allowing the MSM to pick their canidates

unseen on October 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Huck = Squirrel

datadriver on October 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

This is a copy of an email I sent to Michelle Malkin just now:

Michelle,

I am a long-time admirer of yours and a long-time reader of Hot Air, but I will tell you right now I will no longer click on any posts with the byline of Allahpundit. I just cannot fathom any justification for his relentless sniping at Sarah Palin, the only true conservative with any chance for the presidency. If he is doing it to generate traffic, then that is all the more reason for me to avoid him. AP is entitled to his opinion, but he obviously has little regard for Ronald Reagan’s eleventh commandment. Honestly, which side is he on? How long are you going to put up with behavior that is damaging to the conservative movement as a whole?

Sincerely,
(Withheld)

I mean every word of it. Allahpundit is nothing more than a troll with editorial privileges. I invite everyone here to join me in isolating this punk.

Tyrone Slothrop on October 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

JetBoy,

Mitt and Huck ARE RINOs.

They will lead to low GOP turnout and Obama wins AGAIN.

They cannot be trusted.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Again, I’m no fan of either of ‘em. But I really hate that term “RINO”…it never seems to be applied correctly. To me, a RINO is someone like Mayor Bloomberg, who switch from Dem to GOP so he could continue to run for mayor when he lost the Dem primaries.

JetBoy on October 19, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Puhleaze….out of sight, out of mind. Palin hasn’t been seen since July except in Hong Kong, and how many Americans saw her there? Huckabee is on TV at least weekly, and Romney’s face shows up every time I change a channel. Let Palin get out there speaking and making live and televised appearances to promote her book (the strategy all along was likely to keep her under wraps until the big book promotion push). Once the folks see/hear from her, they’ll remember why they were so drawn to her last year. Those people at her rallies aren’t going anywhere else.

howIroll on October 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM

As for Mitt fans supporting Sarah, if she is the nominee, they will support her. But judging from countless threads here (including that comment from you!) the reverse would not happen. Which is a damned shame.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2009 at 5:21 PM

They would support her about as much as Palin fans would support him.

That’s why Mitt is a possible but not for sure option for Sarah’s Veep. It would unite the 2/3′s that are cons with the 1/3 who are not.

Sapwolf on October 19, 2009 at 6:40 PM