Sheriff: Charges likely to be filed against balloon boy’s parents

posted at 11:08 am on October 18, 2009 by Allahpundit

I had to blog it. We need closure.

The Larimer County Sheriff’s Office announced Saturday night that it expects to seek charges in the “balloon boy” saga, and later deputies began executing search warrants.

Sheriff Jim Alderden made the announcement after Richard Heene and his wife voluntarily met with officials at the Larimer County sheriff’s headquarters for several hours.

The sheriff did not give specifics, but he said the charges would probably be a Class 3 misdemeanor. False reporting is a Class 3 misdemeanor.

Alderden said that the misdemeanor charges “hardly seem serious enough in the circumstances” and that he would talk to the district attorney and federal officials, including the Federal Aviation Administration, to see what other charges could be considered.

The sheriff’s office is holding a presser at 11 a.m. MT, presumably to explain how they got suckered so badly. Meanwhile, Gawker’s posted an account (which they paid for) by a guy who says he worked with Heene earlier this year to develop a science-oriented reality show that just so happened to involve — well, read the proposal:

Can we attract UFO’s with a homemade flying saucer? We will modify a weather balloon, so that it resembles a UFO and will electrically charge the skin of the craft (Biefield-Brown Effect). We will capture the footage on film, and will utilize the media as a means with which to make our presence known to the masses. This will not only provide us with incredible footage, but will also generate a tremendous amount of controversy among the public, as well as publicity within the mainstream media. This will be the most significant UFO-related news event to take place since the Roswell Crash of 1947, and the result will be a dramatic increase in local and national awareness about The Heene Family, our Reality Series, as well as the UFO Phenomenon in general.

Case closed? Not exactly. If you believe Gawker’s source, Heene wasn’t after celebrity for celebrity’s sake. He was … out to save the world:

But he was motivated by theories I thought were far-fetched. Like Reptilians — the idea there are alien beings that walk among us and are shape shifters, able to resemble human beings and running the upper echelon of our government. Somehow a secret government has covered all this up since the U.S. was established, and the only way to get the truth out there was to use the mainstream media to raise Richard to a status of celebrity, so he could communicate with the masses.

How Gawker’s sure that their source even knows Heene is unclear to me, but since they paid for the story, I’m assuming they demanded and received some proof. Exit question: What other sorts of evidence might the sheriff have found when he searched the house? Hmmm.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The fact that Heene want to use weather balloon to attract UFOs is worthy of arrest? OK, so the guy is out for publicity. If that is against the law, we need to lock up all of Hollywood and everyone that appears on America’s Funniest Home Videos. Call this guy a nut case, whatever, but I’m still not seeing anything that says he deliberately put his kids in danger. Those of you who think we should lock this guy up for essentially believing in aliens should really look again at what you are saying. If this is what it has come to, all hope for the Republic is lost.

tballard on October 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

tballard on October 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, that’s what they’re charging him with — trying to contact UFOs. Oh, and filing a false police report –putting his kid in a box in the garage for two hours — wasting resources that are meant for actual emergencies –

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 4:02 PM

Has it been proven that Hillary -isn’t- a lizard alien? Till then, I won’t say it’s a lie.

- Charles Johnson

lorien1973 on October 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Spacist.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

But it is important! It reminds all the youngsters of a bygone era where you had to cook your popcorn over a stovetop burner.

unclesmrgol

I don’t remember seeing one of these when I was a kid, we had to hold ours over the burner and shake it ourselves lol I miss those big silver popcorn pans, they were fun.

beachgirlusa on October 18, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Spacist.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Lol and seconded.

Spacist haters…

Anders on October 18, 2009 at 4:39 PM

Well, thank you Heene, for explaining (for starters) how that beeyatch WH speaker was containing herself into not showing her true identity.

Of course, here at HotAir we knew she was “one of them”/sarc

ProudPalinFan on October 18, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Awwwww, he’s too late since I’ve seen commercials that ABC has already resurrected the mini-series V, except with newer CG.

For realz? I am a fan of the original!!! Lessee if they can top that off. Half-breed girl full of sparkles saving the world and flying a saucer=priceless!

ProudPalinFan on October 18, 2009 at 4:51 PM

“How Gawker’s sure that their source even knows Heene is unclear to me, but since they paid for the story, I’m assuming they demanded and received some proof.”

Guess you didn’t read the story. Gawker showed several emails between Heene, his wife, and the source proving he was very close with the family, and proving he had worked for them. Way to jump on the story, by the way. It came out yesterday afternoon.

rinohumper on October 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM

rinohumper on October 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Give me a few minutes and I’ll show you an email I got from Elvis.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Larimer County Sheriff’s deputies were able to find nothing after a thorough search of Richard Heene’s skull.

Jim Treacher on October 18, 2009 at 3:07 PM

You mean somebody let the air out his skull?

bloggless on October 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I dont think any charges are due, but it was a tad ridiculous he wasted the National Guards time and so on.
Supposed one of those helicopters would have crashed trying to get that thing down? The I’d say charges would be pending. Write it off as a good rehearsal for a real emergency. Maybe fine him 300 bucks toward fuel for the choppers for the hoax.

johnnyU on October 18, 2009 at 5:22 PM

rinohumper on October 18, 2009 at 4:58 PM

Give me a few minutes and I’ll show you an email I got from Elvis.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Hardy har.

Read the emails. Then tell me how the “source” emailed himself Heene’s own show proposal. It’s pretty detailed. I’m just as much a cynic and skeptic as the next guy.

rinohumper on October 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

rinohumper on October 18, 2009 at 5:28 PM

I’m sure there was proof, but email isn’t it. I can write whatever I want in a word processor and “prove” that Heene emailed me too. I wouldn’t even have to email it.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

This isn’t the end — I’ll bet lots of people whose flights in or out of Denver were affected by this will sue, and I wouldn’t blame them. I know how I’d feel if this stunt, for which the sheriff says the couple has expressed no remorse or regret, kept me from being at my dying mother’s bedside, or something like that. And as someone smart (AP? EM?) pointed out yesterday, one or more of the rescue personnel could have died or been injured in the pursuit of the balloon. Sue the bastards!!!

On a less hostile note, it might be a good idea to put Heene on a suicide watch, not that his dreams of cashing in on this have crashed. At least I hope they have.

KyMouse on October 18, 2009 at 5:43 PM

not that his dreams = now that his dreams. FIFM.

KyMouse on October 18, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I would describe the Obama administration as reptilian, so Heene the Weenie has a point.

Philly on October 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Enquiring minds want to know…just who are the Reptilians “running the upper echelon of our government.” There needs to be a reptilian hunt so we can impeach them all!

scalleywag on October 18, 2009 at 12:32 PM

According to the series “24″, they wear Bluetooth headsets. There’s your clue.

ProudPalinFan on October 18, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I wonder if he has ever said “I’m here to kick ass and chew bubble-gum, and I’m all out of bubble-gum”. But seriously, I think this guy has seen the movie “They Live” one to many times.

Dollayo on October 18, 2009 at 6:14 PM

I’m convinced this is what happened. Heene was testing the balloon. Wifey didn’t attach the tether. The balloon escaped. They had no way of retrieving or even tracking this valuable piece of property, so they made up the story about Falcon to get their balloon back. In my experience with hot air ballooning, you have to have a two way radio system and chase cars to retrieve the balloon. Heene didn’t have that, so he chose to use public safety resources to track his balloon.

fleiter on October 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM

That’s even more stupid than if they had just made up the whole thing.

bloggless on October 18, 2009 at 12:54 PM

After all the prayers, being in bed with possibly H1N1, I cried for joy b/c I prayed for a SAFE LANDING; I was shocked that there was not a body (didn’t think kiddo would have made it). I got mad and screamed at the tv: “SO I PRAYED FOR NOTHING?”

Heaven’s response? “No, you did not pray in vain. Hundreds of thousands of people around the world prayed with you and your prayer was answered, which was a safe landing”.

After that, I ate crow pie and shut my piehole.

ProudPalinFan on October 18, 2009 at 6:16 PM

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned it because it is so obvious, but how about the Dad’s hair? The kid’s hair is weird too.

bloggless on October 18, 2009 at 6:44 PM

This struck me funny – from an AP article:

He (the sheriff) said, despite the peculiar nature of this case, that they did not represent a flight risk.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I have my own conspiracy theory:

Pure coincidence that he was on an ABC show (Wife Swap), the same ABC which on November 3rd is premiering a remake series about reptilian aliens walking amongst us?Awfully tempting to call shenanigans. Mars may need women, but ABC needs viewers.

eforhan on October 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM

I’ve been mentioning dad’s hair to all my friends and family. What a freak.

OmahaConservative on October 18, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Another thing that bugs me after I found out: He DID NOT go on the run w/the rescuers, the balloon chasers out there. I thought he was there trying to get his kid back :O

Why in the world would you stay home and not get your son? Wife could stay, of course, take care of the fort and the phone…

Can any man here with common sense explain this to me?

ProudPalinFan on October 18, 2009 at 10:29 PM

eforhan on October 18, 2009 at 7:46 PM

And it’s a remake to boot! This guy better get his reality show; how else is he going to pay the fines?

July 10 on October 19, 2009 at 12:44 AM

Reptilians? Did he vote for the Lizard People in Minnesota?

The films of the balloon lifting off show it to be about 20 feet in diameter by about 3 feet high, with no visible heat source (like the burners used to heat hot-air balloons). Although the empty balloon could have lifted off the ground in an updraft, it seems highly unlikely that a relatively small volume of unheated air could be buoyant enough to lift a 50-pound boy high off the ground, as was shown in the films. If the boy had actually climbed into the balloon, he would have weighed down one side of the balloon, and it probably would have flipped over and crashed close to the lift-off point.

If the Heene family has some real scientific knowhow, they probably would have known that the balloon could not fly nearly as far as it did with the boy inside.

IMHO, the sheriff SHOULD press charges, or at least sue in civil court, for the expenses incurred for the attempt to “rescue” the “boy” in the flying saucer. Even without anyone inside, sending up an uncontrolled electrically charged balloon is reckless–what if it had snagged on some high-tension wires and shorted out an entire community?

Steve Z on October 19, 2009 at 12:55 AM

tballard on October 18, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, meanwhile they used an incredible amount of resources (read money) to promote themselves. Like phony 911 calls, they should be fined and punished.

Ronnie on October 18, 2009 at 5:31 PM

You don’t know much about emails do you? The FBI uses that to convict people all the time…
And Elvis doesn’t use email…he is the KING!

right2bright on October 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM

- Charles Johnson

lorien1973 on October 18, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Okay for the last time:

Obama is the reptillian, Hillary is a Cylon, and Biden is an idiot.

Got it!?!

By the way, any word on a Battlestar Galactica movie?

Bubba Redneck on October 19, 2009 at 9:27 AM

The media does NOT like to be fooled. Remember how they were when McCain took them by surprise with the Palin pick. The whining little MSM babies didn’t get their chance to “vet” her and all of their predictions looked foolish, so they sunk their fangs and never let go.

This will be a non-political version. The MSM will try to destroy them. But, in this case, at least for the parents, it’s hard if not impossible to feel sorry for them. I feel for the children.

BlueStateBilly on October 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM