Insane Japanese game shows: It’s come to this

posted at 10:00 pm on October 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Japan’s status confirmed as world capital of WTF.” Do yourself a favor and don’t read the news story until after you’ve watched the clip. All you need to know is that this is a game show. The name isn’t important, nor is understanding so much as a word of Japanese. All shall be clear soon enough. Again: This is a game show.

If they aired this crap in the U.S., would anyone watch anything else?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

milwife88 on October 16, 2009 at 8:06 AM

wow

I really need to move there :) That would be the perfect midnight snack lol

Libertarian Joseph on October 16, 2009 at 8:26 AM

And the Japanese still don’t understand why America didn’t laugh at that whole Pearl Harbor prank.

jnelchef on October 16, 2009 at 8:27 AM

Not only would they owe me a new pair of shorts, they might find that they accidently tried to sucker someone with a concealed carry permit and a gun.

Try that for reality.

Spartacus on October 16, 2009 at 8:47 AM

It’s not funny at all.

roux on October 16, 2009 at 9:13 AM

What if the 3 fake guys just exploded like Mr. Creosote. Something to watch with the kids around dinner time on spaghetti night.
I bet there’s a studio disclaimer that all contestants be at least under 25 in order to reduce risk of heart failure.

Coronagold on October 16, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Remember folks, this is the same country that brought us “Legend of the Overfiend.”

crazy_legs on October 16, 2009 at 9:34 AM

I’ll be taking my first trip to Japan and Korea in a couple weeks. I’m looking forward to channel surfing in my hotel room. :)

Reminds me of what I read somewhere: “JAPAN – producing 78% of the world’s weird sh*t. Since 1952.”

Tak_Bulgogi on October 16, 2009 at 10:17 AM

What a sick, sick joke.

But not as sick as the time Hirochi and all his pals gang-pooped on Tamatsu’s Honda and blamed it on Godzilla.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, herroooooh!

Doorgunner on October 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

right before the “shooting” starts, the text on-screen says “Panic Face Start”.. don’t know if that’s the name of the show though.. crazy.

birdman on October 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM

RightWired on October 15, 2009 at 11:40 PM

This post is allowed to stay because there is nothing wrong about joking about weird Japanese sex practices on a thread about Japanese weirdness. So get a grip, maybe even a sense of humor or go back to your mother’s teat.

keep the change on October 15, 2009 at 11:51 PM

This is what I would expect a pathetic, left wing marxist with no morals to say. You speak of it like it’s a common thing in Japan (a topic which you are obviously completely ignorant of).

Quick now! Back to KOS with your amoral before they miss you.

RightWired on October 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

Meh, I prefer bukkake.

keep the change on October 15, 2009 at 10:17 PM

ROTFFLMYAO!!!

Gob on October 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

A similar show in the US would center around telling an elementary school principal that one of her six year old students has a Cub Scout utensil set in his lunch box.

Chickyraptor on October 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM

That is hilarious! I love those Japanese Game Shows. I would have watched I survived a Japanese Gameshow if it had more pranks and stunts and less reality TV.

MXC is another one of their shows that I loved.

jeffn21 on October 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

RightWired on October 16, 2009 at 10:49 AM

So, I clicked your hyperlinked name and what did I see…

“Clinton, Liberals Seek to Destroy First Amendment”

Damn, that’s irony.

Uh, no, he didn’t. He spoke of it as if it were “weird”. Try to unknot your granny-panties, Church-Lady.

Doorgunner on October 16, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Nan ja!

J.E. Dyer on October 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM

I can represent that anything Japanese is eaten up by kids at my son’s university. In fact his friends at other universities are equally enamored with all things Japanese.

Anime is the main lure but they love the culture for some reason. My 16 year old actually likes their game shows.

Maybe the kids are attracted to it because the Japanese expand boundaries our boring TV game shows refuse to cross.

FireBlogger on October 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I have mixed feelings about this one.
On one hand, I was laughing my butt off.
On the other, I would have been just as terrified if I was in his position.

Rightwingguy on October 16, 2009 at 2:20 PM

crazy_legs on October 16, 2009 at 9:34 AM

The sad part is that I know what you are referencing….

Rightwingguy on October 16, 2009 at 2:22 PM

FireBlogger on October 16, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I blame Dragon Ball Z for my “Japanphilia”. I was in Japan for about 4 hours on a layover once and it was awesome. Never knew airports could be so fun.

Rightwingguy on October 16, 2009 at 2:26 PM

I felt sorry for the guy who thought his life was over.

If they every take away our guns, this will be a fact of life for us. Only criminals will have guns and they will only have them to use on the disarmed and defenseless.

In Texas we have the right to carry a concealed gun. To get the permit means you have to show you can use a gun and hit the target with the gun you want to carry. Criminals are very aware that anyone, from a grandmother to cop can pull out a gun on them. It’s a fact that they think about when planning a crime, or deciding it is not worth it. It might surprise the liberals, but the many thousands Texans with gun permits are rarely involved in armed crime.

Franklyn on October 16, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Brought to by the same people that gave you the Bataan Death March…

Caper29 on October 16, 2009 at 2:36 PM

That is so wrong, and funny!

tbear44 on October 16, 2009 at 3:27 PM

left wing marxist with no morals to say.

Since you are new here at HA, you better get to know the posters before you make an ass of yourself like that again. Anyone who has been on this site for more than a few weeks knows how right wing my politics are. But this is about Japanese culture, and humor, so politics doesn’t even enter the picture.

BTW, have some Bukkake brand milk. Only in Japan.

keep the change on October 16, 2009 at 7:18 PM

MXC is another one of their shows that I loved.

jeffn21 on October 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

It’s kind of funny, I wouldn’t say hilarious. Now MXC is hilarious and is one of my favorite shows.

jarodea on October 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM

If they aired this crap in the U.S., would anyone watch anything else?

I hear on MSNBC they come close, but I don’t watch…

… anyone?