Awful: Six-year-old trapped in runaway balloon; Update: Boy safe at home, found … in the attic

posted at 3:16 pm on October 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

The news nets are covering it wall-to-wall, which is a fait accompli under the mindblowingly sensational circumstances — child in peril inside pilotless homemade UFO!!11! — but still … sickening. Even if this ends well, the kid’s surely terrified, freezing, and fighting for air at that altitude. Unless and until they figure out how to get someone up there to save him, which seems unlikely given the clip at which the balloon is moving, there’s no reason to film it except to have the cameras rolling when it crashes. Here’s a live video feed if you’re curious. I’m going to stick with print media on this one.

I’ll update the post when something happens.

Update: The Beeb makes this officially an international news story. Looks like the Denver Post is your best bet for coverage, though:

The incident started this morning in Fort Collins when the boy got into the balloon-like device built by his father and it came loose from a tether.

9News has confirmed the balloon belongs to Richard Heene, whose son, Falcon, is on board…

Richard Heene is an amateur scientist based out of Fort Collins. He and his partners call themselves the “psyience detectives.”

Heene is a storm chaser who collects data to prove that rotating storms create their own magnetic fields.

There’s some question about whether the kid’s still in the balloon or not.

Update: Somehow, a bizarre story becomes even more bizarre: The Heene family once appeared on the reality show “Wife Swap.”

Update: The balloon is on the ground at 3:35 p.m. in one piece. Waiting now. The balloon itself is much smaller than it looked in the air. Frankly, I wonder if the kid could even fit in the small basket part of it or if he was bouncing around inside the balloon itself.

Update: The balloon’s empty. Good news or bad news?

Update: If he fell out, it had to happen shortly after takeoff, before the news channels were filming it. Which means, whatever his condition, he must be somewhere in the area around his home, no?

The cops say they’re sure he was inside at one point, so the “he never climbed in to begin with” theory is looking bleak.

Update: More info: Apparently the eyewitness who saw him float away was his brother. Commenters are speculating that that maybe the kid accidentally untied the balloon and ran away for fear of being punished, but if so, then his brother’s covering for him for an awfully long time amid a lot of police and parental pressure.

Update: Unless the cops are complete idiots, they wouldn’t have readily bought the brother’s story without a good reason to. The kid must have been completely, palpably freaked out when he described what happened.

Update: Conflicting rumors on Twitter at 4:20 ET: Someone says they’re searching a farm where an eyewitness spotted something falling, someone else says a local sheriff’s department now thinks he might have never been in the balloon.

Update: Caleb Howe cites a neighbor of the Heene’s as saying the boys were on the roof with a camera when the balloon went up. Which way does that cut? And was the balloon even big enough to lift a six-year-old into the air? It was 20 feet across with a five-foot basket.

Update: I didn’t hear it myself, but apparently a sheriff’s spokesman told Cavuto that someone took a still photo of “something dark” falling from the balloon shortly after takeoff.

Update: No wonder they think the kid was inside. Evidently there was a flimsy plywood box attached to the bottom of the balloon — and it’s missing too.

Authorities are searching for a box that was attached to the bottom of an experimental aircraft that took off from a Fort Collins home with a 6-year-old boy inside on Thursday morning…

Police say there are pegs on the bottom of the aircraft that indicate that a box was attached at some point.

Update: Any math/physics majors want to take a shot at calculating whether a 20-foot helium balloon could even lift a, say, 45-pound kid?

Update: Yeah, according to the sheriff, he was in the now-missing box.

Update: A sheriff’s deputy thought he saw “something” fall.

Update: The Denver Post’s got a photo of the falling object. More:

Bob Licko, 65, a neighbor, said he was leaving home when he heard commotion in the backyard.

He said he saw two boys on the roof with a camera, commenting about their brother.

“One of the boys yelled to me that his brother was way up in the air,” Licko said.

Licko said the boys’ mother seemed distraught and that the boys’ father was running around the house.

Update: You’ve got to be kidding: Cops now say there was no box/basket attached to the balloon in the first place.

While authorities search for a 6-year-old boy who was believed to be inside an experimental aircraft when it lifted off, investigators now say there was no basket on the balloon when it took off from his Fort Collins home.

The boy’s brother had told authorities the 6-year-old was in the aircraft when it lifted off.

We’re reaching D.B. Cooper levels of mystery here. If there was nothing attached to the box, then either this is a hoax or the kid got pulled up while holding one of the tethers and then let go at some point. If it is a hoax, he’s been hiding out an awfully long time now, no?

Update: Waiting for details, but NBC says the kid is home and perfectly okay.

Update: You’ve got to be kidding. Some prank.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden told media in Fort Collins that the 6-year-old boy thought to be missing in a balloon craft has been found alive at his home.

“He was found in a box in the attic above the garage,” Alderden said.

The sheriff indicated he did not think Falcon Heene’s parents knew the boy was there; “They thought he was missing,” he said.

Falcon’s 9-year-old brother told investigator and his parents, Richard and Mayumi Heeme, that Falcon was in the “homemade flying saucer” when it went up.

Imagine if they’d sent the National Guard up there to try to rescue him and a Guardsman fell to his death. Million-dollar exit question: The cops didn’t think to check every room on the property before kicking off an international media frenzy?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 7 8 9 10

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I get it, a jokester…no one could post and believe what you post…no one is that stupid.
You had me going for awhile…you got me, I really thought you were serious.
It just shows how far someone can go and sound stupid and people will believe.
Ya got me….

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

now that it’s “safe” to joke about..

This was really just a trial ballon for terrorist bombing by home-made UFO. Turns out the authorities won’t shoot it down if you claim a child is on board.

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Huge spank planned…

IntheNet on October 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM

pssst…..don’t tell child welfare services…

cmsinaz on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Jinx!!

Kind of…..

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Nah… the kid actualy did lift off in the UFO shaped “balloon”… but then used his personal Tranporter to get back home…

think about it… Balloons… missing bodies… Roswell I’m tellin ya!

Romeo13 on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Hence why I say this is a joke… they want back in the limelight. They had it when they were on the reality show Wife Swap–clearly they’re craving for it again enough to create a hoax.

Enoxo on October 15, 2009 at 6:26 PM

The parents could be entirely innocent, of course, but the fact that they have a history of publicity-seeking is very troubling.

Infidoll on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Even if they didn’t buy it completely, they have to act urgently on it. Cops have to chase down fake emergencies all the time. I’m sure he was pretty freaked if he just let the UFO loose.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

AP, you should know better than to chase some dumb tabloid human interest story like this. Updates don’t grow on trees, you know.

keep the change on October 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM

wow… silver cup cake in the air.

boy in a box in the attic.

and no one thought to check the house?

ugh….

upinak on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

Kids, when they see the how serious it is, panic and that panic is misconstrued as sincerity…the kid was probably scared to death of the police and just kept muttering, without stepping back, taking a breath and telling the truth.

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

This reminds me of something I did as a kid, although obviously not on as big a level…I still scared the hell out of my mom though.

Emily M. on October 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I (intentionally) fell off of a bridge railing while walking with my parents. I could see that the drop was not too far, they could not. To this day my mom fails to see the humor in it.

My dad, as it turns out, did nearly the same thing to her on their honeymoon. We’re great guys, really.

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I bet you’re right. Could be a prank gone awfully wrong: Let’s untie the weather balloon, hide little brother in the attic, and tell Mom and Dad he flew off.

Gabe on October 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

Entirely possible…but watch the videos…dad’s pretty much a flake…..

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Ok, ok nothing to see here anymore. Everybody back to your regularly scheduled squabbling.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM

“Hey Falcon?… Do you remember the day…………”

heh,heh,heh

franksalterego on October 15, 2009 at 6:16 PM

Yup, still paying dues for my childhood sins. I think they will be the major part of my eulogy.

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:34 PM

LGF if upset the boy is alive. Now he can’t use the funny comments in this thread as evidence that right wingers are evil. :(

lorien1973 on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Jinx..Kind of…..

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

So now I can’t quote until you post my handle?

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

THIS WAS ALLAH’S POST UPDATE, NOT MINE!

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

No doubt, my husband is a cop, hence the sensitivity to asshats calling cops stupid or complete idiots, or alluding to such.

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

After reading about the teen boy who was doused in rubbing alcohol by school thugs and set afire I didn’t need a kid plunging to his death.

Marcus on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

As per earlier story, there’s something about the cops entering the home. Don’t know why or what, but when the thing happened with my 4-year-old, the cops sent ME into the house to search. I was here by myself, and he was so little, he could have been ANYWHERE. And upstairs in a box could be really tough to find if the kid doesn’t want to be found. Same thing happened to my brother’s little girl (5). She broke something and hid in their lawn shed. Took them over an hour and a half to find her with the police there as well. Trust me, a kid can get lost for a long time… in a bed… you swear it couldn’t happen, but it does.

UnderstandingisPower on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Boy found in garage?

dgstock1947 on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

So now I can’t quote until you post my handle?

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

No, you just owe him a Coke. :-)

Mary in LA on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

I suspect his parents were in on it or, if not, aren’t the type to make him and his brother go outside and pick out their switches from a tree.

Hope I’m wrong, but they — the parents — need their own ass-whipping for the whole ordeal, worse if they were in on it, of course

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

The reason for the parent there “I don’t want anything to happen to my kid”.
As if a kid at a bus station is in any less danger then driving with there parent any day on the highway.
I assure you, more kids have died and been harmed in pools, on a bike, or in a car, then ever waiting for a school bus.

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Well, to be honest, because we hear about stranger abductions so much now, they seem like a common thing. So much so, that the reasonable precaution is to guard your kid like a hawk. Maybe crimes against kids are still at the same level as years ago, but since we hear about
every.
single.
occurrence.
the prudent course of action is to overcompensate. I won’t deny that I cast a wary eye at creepy strangers around my two young daughters. And increasingly, I consider a vast majority of strangers creepy.

juanito on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

LOL… when I was a Freshman in High School, and a Polevaulter, they left the mats out one weekend…

So, we dragged them under the bleachers, right next to a busy 4 lane street, where they were hidden by a fence…

We then proceeded to act like we were fighting and throw each other off the 25 ft bleechers, onto the mats…

Was a lot of fun until the Ambulance and cops got there…

Romeo13 on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Just a word on spanking.

As a child I was frequently beaten, berated and demeaned. (I know, that explains a lot). I decided I would never subject a child to that. My daughter is 22 years old. I have never hit her, and can probably count on one hand the number of times I even raised my voice. Is she a spoiled, self-centered brat?

Nope. Junior in college, still on a 4.0 average, has her own business, and I have lost track of the number of people who have told me what a lovely young woman she is. She has never taken drugs, and rarely even has a drink. She is happy, responsible, and hard-working.

Spanking is vastly over-rated.

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I’ve been right on this all along. I bet even you can think of a way to make this thing unflyable. But I’ll give you one off the top of my head. Have a tether attached to the ground, with a blade on the end at the balloon. Attach it in such a way that if it lifts before intended it gets cut open. Very easy. The designers could no doubt have better ways, if they cared.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

So now I can’t quote until you post my handle?

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Lemme get a ruling on that……

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Infidoll on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

I agree. It could be a prank by the older brothers who put the kid in the attic and told the parents he flew off in a balloon. But I doubt the kid would stay in the attic for seven hours quiet unless the parents knew about it and put him there.

Gabe on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

I tend to look for the worst in human nature so….

Balloon accidentally gets cut loose. Dad thinks, “Damn, how are we ever going to track this thing down? Oh, I know, lets get the cops to do it for us. Hey, Falcon, get in this box….”

ElectricPhase on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Ok, now I can safely say it again:

“Yo #balloonboy, I’m happy for you & Imma let you finish, but Russell from “Up” was the best balloon boy of all time! Of all time!”

– Kanye West

Eschelon

LOL

beachgirlusa on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Prediction: Dad hoax

faraway on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

It was just a matter of time before he needed to go pee pee.

milwife88 on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

ElectricPhase on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

That would not surprise me at all.

lorien1973 on October 15, 2009 at 6:37 PM

THIS WAS ALLAH’S POST, NOT MINE! FROM UPDATES.

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:31 PM

My husband is a cop, hence the sensitivity to imbeciles calling cops stupid or complete idiots without ever knowing what it’s like to be a cop or sit at home and wait for their cop to come home safe.

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

lorien1973 on October 15, 2009 at 6:35 PM

He’ll just say that right wingers are good at science.

Right?

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

You sound like a wonderful parent, and congratulations on your lovely daughter! I wish we had more like you, and like her, in this country.

Mary in LA on October 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Hmmmmmm. Sounds like a couple of boys are headin’ to the wood shed tonight!

pilamaye on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

pilamaye on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Leave Barney Frank out of this.

lorien1973 on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I assure you, my parents would have known I was lying. My parents could smell a lie like a fart in a car. Because, they CARED enough to know!

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

When I was 7, I was playing hide-and-seek with a friend. I was hiding under my covers, and had them scrunched up, so you couldn’t tell I was there. When my friend gave up, I thought it would be funny to not come out, then the whole thing escalated out of control, with my friend and family searching the whole house for me. Then they called the cops. I was freaked out by that time, and thought if I told the truth I would get in major trouble, so I acted like I fell asleep under the covers. To this day, I haven’t told her the truth about it.

Emily M. on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Entirely possible…but watch the videos…dad’s pretty much a flake…..

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Entirely possible. One of the neighbor’s was being interviewed today and he made some comment about the family living an “alternative” or “non traditional” family life but that the neighborhood was fine with it.

And considering the previous attention seeking, I can’t help but believe that the authorities have to be looking at the parents seriously for hints at a deliberate publicity stunt with this. Seperate each and every one of the family members and ask them the same questions over and over about the whole thing and see what/if changes start popping up.

JoeinTX on October 15, 2009 at 6:40 PM

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:38 PM

Okay. It how you quoted it.

But you are of course correct. I didn’t believe it, but if I was there I would have been chasing the balloon.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Emily M. on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I’m telling. MOM!

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

boy in a box in the attic.

and no one thought to check the house?

ugh….

upinak on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

The house was searched. Grown-ups can’t think like a 6 yr.old. I used to hide in the smallest spaces.

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

My Dad beat my ass, but only my ass, on a regular basic, but I did stupid things like get stuck about 50 feet up a tree in the woods. Wreck a bicycle trying to do jumps, and got my foot actually stuck in the bicycle frame, wrecking my motorcycle into the creek without a helmet. I needed my ass beat.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Spanking is vastly over-rated.

mr.blacksheep

But nonetheless appropriate in this case!

IntheNet on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Yes, the cops did their job today. They took it as a serious threat to this child’s life. They should be commended and the parents should be abmonished…no interviews, but I”m sure all the morning news shows have called and they are headed to Walmart to buy new outfits.

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

At least it took our minds off the crap going on in DC for a few hours.

smokinjoe on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

Plus, they were really destracted. They knew, explicitly or implicitly, that they could take the house apart in their own sweet time after the balloon was down.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Its clear to me now that this was some kind of government cover up to test out the Roswell technology. I hope Alex Jones gets on this case ASAP.

The Roswell crash happened in 1947. So 2009-1947 = 62 which on the Mayan calendar is the first Thursday after the harmonic convergence. And you know what that means.

Geochelone on October 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Emily M. on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

You are grounded til you’re 50!

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:45 PM

no interviews,

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

The right kind of critical interviews would be helpful. But I don’t see that ever happening.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:41 PM

This was a no-win situation for the cops (except that the kid turned up alive… Thank God!). If they stayed to search the house thoroughly (how many boxes do you have in your attic, garage, out-shed, closets…), and the kid WAS in the balloon as older brother said, the cops then acted “stupidly” (to use a phrase). If, on the other hand, the majority of the police took off after the balloon, not really paying much attention to that box in the attic that hasn’t been moved for a decade, and it turned out that the kid was in the box rather than the balloon.

Monday morning quarterbacks are very good at saying what someone else SHOULD have done without really contemplating how difficult it is to do the absolute right thing in every life-or-death situation that these police and emergency workers are faced with every day. Although I’m not inclined to blame the parents, I’m REALLY not inclined to indict the police force. To do so, would be to say I could do it better, and I’m not going there with a ten-foot pole.

UnderstandingisPower on October 15, 2009 at 6:46 PM

What kind of humorless baboon would spank his kid for NOT flying away in a balloon?

franksalterego on October 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Have we not learned anything from Octomom and John and Kate? There are parents out there who will do anything to get some attention. These people will be on every morning show tomorrow- in fact, I wouldn’t be surprised to see them on Larry King tonite.

The whole episode stinks, and if these parents DIDN’T know what was going on- they’ve done a piss poor job of raising their kids. Sorry- it’s what I think.

anniekc on October 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I don’t have the strength to look over 800 posts, but it’s been pointed out this family has a “rap” video on YouTube?

Incredibly irritating way to raise your boys.

Marcus on October 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I gotta admit that having a boy magnet like a home made weather balloon complete with a compartment just big enough for your little brother was probably tactical error.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Right. You don’t pursue the likeliest things first, you pursue the most urgent dangerous things first.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Spanking is vastly over-rated.

mr.blacksheep

I never got a tuning that I didn’t richly deserve.

PS. They didn’t catch me for quite a few.

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

I never got a tuning that I didn’t richly deserve.

PS. They didn’t catch me for quite a few.

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

LOL! Ain’t that the truth?

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM

franksalterego on October 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

That’s why it’s important to make it impossible. I want my kids to be so awesome as to have to do it. Have to stop them until they know how.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:42 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Nope I am with Allah in this.

Dumb parents, dumb kids and how many law enforcement does it take to take down a giant helium cup cake?

They could have had some look through the house while others were taking care of the magic cup cake.

Talk about a freaking WASTE of time and money.

upinak on October 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM

How did the box from the balloon get to the family’s attic? Was there a hole in the roof?

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Who do I approach to buy the movie rights?

Sharke on October 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

franksalterego on October 15, 2009 at 6:47 PM

The same that this DOESN’T usually happen to. If your kids are disciplined, they usually understand right from wrong.
And, you can’t use that word here.

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

So the parents didn’t know?

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:52 PM

/puts on his tinfoil hat…

Transporter tech… I’m tellin ya… transporters…

Romeo13 on October 15, 2009 at 6:53 PM

At least the kid didn’t bring a spork to school.

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Yeah, but look at you now. Yer a mean old lady and stuff….

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Crap. I just remembered that I have a police scanner app on my IPhone. I could have been listening to it all day.

darwin-t on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Our neighbors had old junk cars in their back yard, and one Christmas I got a BB gun. I was looking for some stuff to shoot, and decided that all the glass in those old junk cars was the perfect target. I failed to realize that even back then a windshield probably ran $75 bucks. My dad ended up several hundred dollars poorer and I didn’t walk right the next day.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Now the Chicago Jesus can invited Falcon and his Dad to the White house for a “Beer Summit” on UFO’s.

Dire Straits on October 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Just a word on spanking.
Spanking is vastly over-rated.

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Well, maybe your treatment made you a better dad. I don’t say that in a mean way at all.

Some kids need strong discipline, but not abuse of course, and some kids need a much softer approach.

What works for one doesn’t always work for the other.

As for me, I’ve only had boys and I know why. God knew I would’ve spoiled girls so much that the rest of their lives would’ve been spent fruitlessly searching for someone like their dad.

Very best to your daughter and her good dad.

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM

LOL! Ain’t that the truth?

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I have owned up over the years, but I’m still prepared to move FAST. :)

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM

If the kids had just kept quiet the UFO reports would have been great. When the parents ask they could just have done the normal thing and blamed it on some Puerto Rican guy.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Someone is going to complain to CPS and try and have those kids taken away for parental neglect or child endangerment or something. Not that the kids was actually in DANGER, but because he could’ve been in danger someone will want to sic the Nanny Gov’t on those parents – make them an example!

Anyone want to take a bet on this? I give it 3 days…

Unless the parents are homeschooling their kids, then I give it 12 hours.

Redhead Infidel on October 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

This is a good reason to ban hot air balloons. Hot air baloons?????? Hot Air??????? hmmmmmmmm…….What’s the frequency Kenneth?

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

maybe they could try “Kid Swap” next.

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Praise God!

Now that they know he’s okay, they can give him a huge hug then kill him. (That’s known as a metaphor for all of you humorless “conservatives are violent” types.)

obladioblada on October 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Balloon Boy!

Kaptain Amerika on October 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

At least it took our minds off the crap going on in DC for a few hours.

smokinjoe on October 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Really. Some one might want to make sure the pricks didn’t pass Obama Care and Crap on Trade this afternoon.

And would somebody call Israel and make sure they’re still around??

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 6:57 PM

some Puerto Rican guy with wild hair. Don’t forget the wild hair.

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 6:36 PM

Some people have much more force in their speaking than others. I know I can be harsher in speech than some in hitting. I know people that have a hard time being taken seriously no matter how they say anything. I can’t imagine ever spanking, but I can’t say that’s best for everyone.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

exception on October 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Your posting style burns, too.

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Aaack!! I got more time than John Gotti for less. :)

katy the mean old lady on October 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM

I bet more kids die running out in traffic, than die in experimental aircraft.

Terrye on October 15, 2009 at 6:24 PM

The White House and Senate Finance committee are still working on those numbers.

Dire Straits on October 15, 2009 at 7:02 PM

The boy was heard to say this when discovered hiding….

elderberry on October 15, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Balloon Boy!

Kaptain Amerika on October 15, 2009 at 6:58 PM

This is the kind of thing that makes me think the whole family was in on it.

Reality series here we come….wait, I guess that should be ‘Our Own Reality Series’ since they’ve already been on one…..

BigWyo on October 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM

THe really sad part about all this is that now when a little boy really is trapped in a run away hot air balloon, no one will believe it.

bloggless on October 15, 2009 at 7:04 PM

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Thank you for your kind words.

But you are right, my upbringing reinforced what not to do. The cost, however, was high, and the pattern of behavior being handed down from generation to generation had to be stopped.

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 7:05 PM

OK. I just saw the losers on Shep’s show. HOAX. Dad was in on it.

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:06 PM

This kid is a marketing genius!

When I jumped off the shed with the turkeys tied to my arms, all I got was a face full of turkey crap.

Now, if I had gone to hide in the attic an my brother had told everyone I had flown away with turkeys on my arms, I would be a friggin’ legend!

Damn the Polock in me!

cntrlfrk on October 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I can’t imagine ever spanking, but I can’t say that’s best for everyone.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I think you are right. My “positive leadership” approach may have been a dismal failure on a child with a different disposition.

In any event, I take no credit. The good stuff was the work of Our Father, the bad stuff is where I failed to do His will.

mr.blacksheep on October 15, 2009 at 7:07 PM

UnderstandingisPower on October 15, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I hear you! The time we called the police, our 4 year old had crawled under our bed after the cat and decided to go to sleep there. Looking under the bed from the side near the door, you could only see the cat. My husband and I and two different policemen all missed him. We got the lecture about waiting too long to call, too. They told us never look for more than 15 minutes, because a little kid can go a long way in that time. The police were great – arrived fast, organized with maps of bodies of water in the area – once I could breathe again I was really impressed.

Quisp on October 15, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Hey, Balloon Family!

Cuffy Meigs on October 15, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Patrick Love of the Poudre Fire Authority just told Shep the LOSER family will not be billed for all the hoopla.

I think it was all a ploy on the father’s part to publicize his stupid Reynolds Wrap Balloon. Now I am Pi$$ed.

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Fortunately this incident has caused no overt impact on the long term out look for the environment so Mother Earth can rest easy. Several utility vehicles were used in the chase but nothing that would cause cataclysmic tempertaure escalation to the point where the planet no longer becomes habitable for mankind.

That is not to say that Global Warming will not kill us all in the near future regardless but in our last dying gasp we won’t be able to blame our demise on this Helium Filled balloon.

I just wanted to clear the air on that score. I would still spank the kid though.

Geochelone on October 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Bet the little $hit-brat will get ice cream tonight.

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

seriously? that’s not right…

cmsinaz on October 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM

This better involve a historic primetime presidential speech on pranks, tomfoolery, shenanigans and monkeyshines.

Chuck Schick on October 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM