Awful: Six-year-old trapped in runaway balloon; Update: Boy safe at home, found … in the attic

posted at 3:16 pm on October 15, 2009 by Allahpundit

The news nets are covering it wall-to-wall, which is a fait accompli under the mindblowingly sensational circumstances — child in peril inside pilotless homemade UFO!!11! — but still … sickening. Even if this ends well, the kid’s surely terrified, freezing, and fighting for air at that altitude. Unless and until they figure out how to get someone up there to save him, which seems unlikely given the clip at which the balloon is moving, there’s no reason to film it except to have the cameras rolling when it crashes. Here’s a live video feed if you’re curious. I’m going to stick with print media on this one.

I’ll update the post when something happens.

Update: The Beeb makes this officially an international news story. Looks like the Denver Post is your best bet for coverage, though:

The incident started this morning in Fort Collins when the boy got into the balloon-like device built by his father and it came loose from a tether.

9News has confirmed the balloon belongs to Richard Heene, whose son, Falcon, is on board…

Richard Heene is an amateur scientist based out of Fort Collins. He and his partners call themselves the “psyience detectives.”

Heene is a storm chaser who collects data to prove that rotating storms create their own magnetic fields.

There’s some question about whether the kid’s still in the balloon or not.

Update: Somehow, a bizarre story becomes even more bizarre: The Heene family once appeared on the reality show “Wife Swap.”

Update: The balloon is on the ground at 3:35 p.m. in one piece. Waiting now. The balloon itself is much smaller than it looked in the air. Frankly, I wonder if the kid could even fit in the small basket part of it or if he was bouncing around inside the balloon itself.

Update: The balloon’s empty. Good news or bad news?

Update: If he fell out, it had to happen shortly after takeoff, before the news channels were filming it. Which means, whatever his condition, he must be somewhere in the area around his home, no?

The cops say they’re sure he was inside at one point, so the “he never climbed in to begin with” theory is looking bleak.

Update: More info: Apparently the eyewitness who saw him float away was his brother. Commenters are speculating that that maybe the kid accidentally untied the balloon and ran away for fear of being punished, but if so, then his brother’s covering for him for an awfully long time amid a lot of police and parental pressure.

Update: Unless the cops are complete idiots, they wouldn’t have readily bought the brother’s story without a good reason to. The kid must have been completely, palpably freaked out when he described what happened.

Update: Conflicting rumors on Twitter at 4:20 ET: Someone says they’re searching a farm where an eyewitness spotted something falling, someone else says a local sheriff’s department now thinks he might have never been in the balloon.

Update: Caleb Howe cites a neighbor of the Heene’s as saying the boys were on the roof with a camera when the balloon went up. Which way does that cut? And was the balloon even big enough to lift a six-year-old into the air? It was 20 feet across with a five-foot basket.

Update: I didn’t hear it myself, but apparently a sheriff’s spokesman told Cavuto that someone took a still photo of “something dark” falling from the balloon shortly after takeoff.

Update: No wonder they think the kid was inside. Evidently there was a flimsy plywood box attached to the bottom of the balloon — and it’s missing too.

Authorities are searching for a box that was attached to the bottom of an experimental aircraft that took off from a Fort Collins home with a 6-year-old boy inside on Thursday morning…

Police say there are pegs on the bottom of the aircraft that indicate that a box was attached at some point.

Update: Any math/physics majors want to take a shot at calculating whether a 20-foot helium balloon could even lift a, say, 45-pound kid?

Update: Yeah, according to the sheriff, he was in the now-missing box.

Update: A sheriff’s deputy thought he saw “something” fall.

Update: The Denver Post’s got a photo of the falling object. More:

Bob Licko, 65, a neighbor, said he was leaving home when he heard commotion in the backyard.

He said he saw two boys on the roof with a camera, commenting about their brother.

“One of the boys yelled to me that his brother was way up in the air,” Licko said.

Licko said the boys’ mother seemed distraught and that the boys’ father was running around the house.

Update: You’ve got to be kidding: Cops now say there was no box/basket attached to the balloon in the first place.

While authorities search for a 6-year-old boy who was believed to be inside an experimental aircraft when it lifted off, investigators now say there was no basket on the balloon when it took off from his Fort Collins home.

The boy’s brother had told authorities the 6-year-old was in the aircraft when it lifted off.

We’re reaching D.B. Cooper levels of mystery here. If there was nothing attached to the box, then either this is a hoax or the kid got pulled up while holding one of the tethers and then let go at some point. If it is a hoax, he’s been hiding out an awfully long time now, no?

Update: Waiting for details, but NBC says the kid is home and perfectly okay.

Update: You’ve got to be kidding. Some prank.

Larimer County Sheriff Jim Alderden told media in Fort Collins that the 6-year-old boy thought to be missing in a balloon craft has been found alive at his home.

“He was found in a box in the attic above the garage,” Alderden said.

The sheriff indicated he did not think Falcon Heene’s parents knew the boy was there; “They thought he was missing,” he said.

Falcon’s 9-year-old brother told investigator and his parents, Richard and Mayumi Heeme, that Falcon was in the “homemade flying saucer” when it went up.

Imagine if they’d sent the National Guard up there to try to rescue him and a Guardsman fell to his death. Million-dollar exit question: The cops didn’t think to check every room on the property before kicking off an international media frenzy?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10

I think it was all a ploy on the father’s part to publicize his stupid Reynolds Wrap Balloon. Now I am Pi$$ed.

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Told ya so.

anniekc on October 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

…monkeyshines.

Chuck Schick on October 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Racist!!!!11!!!

/somebody was going to, might as well be me

Mary in LA on October 15, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Well at least now there will be competition for next year’s Nobel Peace Prize.

Dire Straits on October 15, 2009 at 7:18 PM

::shrug::

Pretty much everyone benefits, except for maybe the taxpayers of Colorado.
RWG (expect to see more “hoaxes” like this during the next few weeks)

RWG on October 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM

CO CPS needs to look into this family—-and I usually oppose gub’mint interference…

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:19 PM

test

ProudPalinFan on October 15, 2009 at 7:22 PM

stupid Reynolds Wrap Balloon.

Let’s not take this out it the balloon. It was super awesome. The balloon was the real victim here.

exception on October 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

seriously? that’s not right…

cmsinaz on October 15, 2009 at 7:13 PM

What’s not right was watching Shep.

I still hope the po-po keep their eyes on these people, maybe pick up a few discrepancies along the way. I’m just having a hard time believing this was just the kids fooling around.

Where did the whole story about the instrument box being attached to it in the first place come from? That sounds like something the police were told.

JoeinTX on October 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I don’t wanna bust your balloon or anything, but…

faraway on October 15, 2009 at 7:24 PM

I just wanted to clear the air on that score. I would still spank the kid though.

Geochelone on October 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Only with your hand, of course. To spank with a leather belt or a tree switch would harm Mother Nature, as we both know.

And the additional CO2 exhaled during the spanking will have to be accounted for as well, Earth Hater.

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM

JoeinTX on October 15, 2009 at 7:23 PM

copy that..

cmsinaz on October 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 7:25 PM

So did you and Hanna get hitched? If she dumps you I am next in line bro. Anyway I saw her first.

Geochelone on October 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

I bet,he gets grounded!!

canopfor on October 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM

LOL! Wish you had told my parents that, say, fifty years ago…

OmahaConservative on October 15, 2009 at 7:30 PM

Love the stories.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I shot the back window out of my parents car when I was….22 years old. With a slingshot.

But it was an Olds 98, so no harm, no foul. Actually, comprehensive glass coverage, no foul.

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Up,Up and Away in my beautiful balloon,

the Fifth Demesion!

canopfor on October 15, 2009 at 7:39 PM

The only thing that escaped up into the atmosphere was not a six year old but the United States media’s last shreds of credibility.

The fact this story got as much play as it did and as much hype as it did proves the media is an utter and total joke.

Dickie Dunn on October 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

TOLD YA SO!

SouthernGent on October 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

I bet,he gets grounded!!

canopfor on October 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM

No that’s too harsh… 3 minutes time out and no snacks for week.

Dire Straits on October 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

comprehensive glass coverage, no foul.

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

So, is that when you began to embrace collectivism, Mr. Dan?

hmmmm?

:o)

cntrlfrk on October 15, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Geochelone on October 15, 2009 at 7:28 PM

Not yet, but we’ll send you a post-wedding announcement and an invite to the post-celebration party.

On our wedding present list, BTW, is a sweet Tec-9, convertible to fully automatic, if you can swing it. I’d love for you to meet Hannah, under my security supervision, of course.

TXUS on October 15, 2009 at 7:53 PM

I bet,he gets grounded!!

canopfor on October 15, 2009 at 7:29 PM
No that’s too harsh… 3 minutes time out and no snacks for week.

Dire Straits on October 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM

Dire Straits: Hehe,reminds me of the idiot who tied ballons
to a lawn chair,and he drifted into commercial
airline air-lanes,and a captain reported in to
the tower seeing this nut!!:)

canopfor on October 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM

The kid needs a spanking, and the parents need to pay the expenses associated with this wild goose chase.

Instead, the little angel will get milk and cookies and a stern warning. The parents will get a book deal.

BobOfTexas on October 15, 2009 at 8:01 PM

My kids would never stay put in a box in the attic above the garage – unless I told them to.

I think the parents are complicit in this, and the story will unravel.

And what the HECK where the other 2 kids doing on the roof, anyways? WHO in their right mind lets their kids play on the roof?

SouperConservative on October 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

Big surprise. I called this five minutes after hearing the original story. Except I said garage, not attic. I was a boy once too.

rrpjr on October 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I blame the older brothers. I think these little buggers set this in motion and it got out of control. I think the little 6 year old was scared to death and just stayed where he was. Thank the LORD that baby wasn’t in the balloon!!! All that matters is that he is safe.

mimi1220 on October 15, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Congrats AP for breaking your record for a thread with the most updates. You are on your game!

Erich66 on October 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM

You don’t need to be a math/physics major to calculate the lift force of that aerostat once it landed and its size was evident. Estimating that a lenticular is roughly two-thirds the volume of a cylinder of equal radius and height (if that), the lift force at sea level of such a craft would be about 65 lbs. The craft itself probably weighs about 20 lbs, so yes Allah; 45 lbs. But… that would only achieve neutral bouyancy and a 45 lb kid would never has elevated thousands of feet in the air. And that’s not even considering how the gondola would have supported the weight of the kid in the first place. So the question remains; why did the boy’s father – being the Mr. Science he makes himself out to be, having built this thing, obviously knowing its volume and having to at one time calculated its lift-force – think it was capable of even carrying his son over the fence? And why aren’t the police asking this same question?

13blackcats on October 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

I blame George Bush for this.

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

I blame George Bush for this.

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

LOL!

SouperConservative on October 15, 2009 at 8:39 PM

13blackcats on October 15, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Gotta knock off about 24/29ths of that lift… you loose lift with altitude… sea level is 29.1 inches… and you loose about 1 inch of pressure per 1K feet….

So, you loose just about 1/6th of the lift at 5K feet, which was the launch altitude.

Romeo13 on October 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

right2bright on October 15, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I assure you, my parents would have known I was lying. My parents could smell a lie like a fart in a car. Because, they CARED enough to know!

HornetSting on October 15, 2009 at 6:39 PM

I had to deal with one of those situations this morning. I ended up giving them a briefing on “The Boy Who Cried Wolf”. We are all sick here (possibly swine flu maybe not) and my son did not like the scrambled eggs w/ham and cheese I made. Instead of telling me, he went to the bathroom and dumped it. In the garbage of all places!!!!

He lied to me said he had to go potty but bowl was empty. Heh, I would have been a better liar I would’ve flushed the food and I did go potty!

I don’t take lying to parents lightly, regardless of what I have done as a kid. As sick as we were, I smacked his butt, sent him to his room and did not come out till he issued an apology and gave me a hug.

Try to do your best and nip it in the bud. I know more will come. I am baffled with this situation b/c I would have gone Tomb Raider on the kid. I made him follow up the news. My husband compared the kid’s behavior to our dog, when she went missing/was hit by a car/ran like a maniac and after a 4-hour search-she turned up at 3 am back in the house, in one piece. Boy was Shep right. Instead of under the bed little snot was in the attic. And he was getting tons of hate mail! I could not agree more with him!

ProudPalinFan on October 15, 2009 at 8:50 PM

Good question, but I have an even better one I asked earlier (when we thought there was a box missing from the bottom, which I’ll update now):

If there was supposed to be a box for a passenger attached, that clearly wasn’t there in the live footage we all watched for 2 hours, why didn’t the dad tell the cops so they wouldn’t have desperately tried to save the boy when the balloon landed. Rescue vehicles, a guy diving on to the ropes when it touched down, etc. Couldn’t the dad have prevented all of that panic at least? At worst they’d have searched anywhere near the home, because they’d know he couldn’t have made it far if this box wasn’t there.

Now we know there was no box.

So, my question gets even worse. There was clearly no “doorway” or anything to enter the balloon. It obviously isn’t a manned aircraft. So, wouldn’t the father have said “Hey, shut up older son, there’s no way he’s in there, because there’s no way to get in there”?

RightWinged on October 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM

This better involve a historic primetime presidential speech on pranks, tomfoolery, shenanigans and monkeyshines.

Chuck Schick on October 15, 2009 at 7:14 PM

“Now, like millions of American parents, I shared the joy of knowing that little boy did not die in a balloon. But millions of Americans without health coverage will not know that joy for their own children. If you don’t have insurance, your balloon is still loose. If you have been denied coverage for preexisting conditions, your balloon is still loose. You’re adrift in midair. And only America pulling together can bring you back home.”

Chris_Balsz on October 15, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Appropriate response:

WE ARE SO SORRY FOR ALL OF THE TROUBLE OUR CHILD CAUSED!!!! WHAT CAN WE DO TO MAKE UP FOR IT?!!!

Inappropriate response:

IT’S A MIRACLE!

No, it would be a miracle if your child survived being airborne in that balloon for 3 hours & didn’t get killed. It is NOT a miracle when he crawls out of the attic 3 hours after causing mass panic.

Just sayin’. Something was wrong with the parents’ reaction.

kg598301 on October 15, 2009 at 9:19 PM

Are we going to see these folks all over the morning shows tomorrow? I think that we will.

Cindy Munford on October 15, 2009 at 9:42 PM

THEY HAVE BEEN ON WIFE SWAP????? sorry for the capital letters.

mimi1220 on October 15, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Told ya! It was a hoax propagated by the whole family. “Kid found in the attic” is only cover for plausible deniability.

Again… this hoax was only to point out that the MSM are so stupid they can’t do basic math. It was a brilliant hoax with a great point. The MSM are hacks with mics… nothing more.

Tragically, Allahpundit ignored basic science along with the MSM… but many of us enjoyed commenting on this obvious hoax, so THANKS Allahpundit!

Danzo on October 15, 2009 at 9:46 PM

The little boy just told Wolf Blitzer on Larry King, when asked why he was in the attic for 4 hours. He turns to his dad and says,” You guys said it was just a big show”. Later when Blitzer comes back to the question, His older brother leans over and whispers, “Don’t say”. Sad. These parents should be punished severely.

kriscoleman on October 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

I blame George Bush for this.

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Well, thank Heavens that Barack Hussein Obama was able to save that precious little darlin’ then.
Why, somebody oughta give Him a big ole medal or something!!!
Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!!!

VelvetElvis on October 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

I heard that Johnson just banned this kid from LGF.

perroviejo on October 15, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM

Why, somebody oughta give Him a big ole medal or something!!!
Mmm, Mmm, Mmm!!!

VelvetElvis on October 15, 2009 at 10:29 PM

lololol

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 10:41 PM

Next time shoot the damned thing down right away.

Jeff from WI on October 15, 2009 at 10:42 PM

Uncomfortable Moment: ‘Balloon Boy’ Tells CNN They ‘Did this for a Show’ [Updated]

The clip is attached to the HEADLINES section of Hot Air.

Hee hee. I can’t believe CNN would actually allow the family in this forum to point out how incredibly stupid CNN is. I suppose CNN feels it can’t do any worse than it already has with this story… I suppose… hee hee.

This dad made FOOLS out of the MSM, and still is!!!

Danzo on October 15, 2009 at 10:46 PM

From the Wolf Blitzer bit, it sure sounds like the parents can’t punish the child because they put him up to it. Sad. I think there is enough fishy to warent an investigation, including psych for the parents and questioning of the kids away from the parents. Very sad.

AnotherOpinion on October 15, 2009 at 10:47 PM

Thanks to these jerks I’m all but guaranteed to have flying dreams tonight, wherein I will be striving to dodge endless arrays of high-voltage wires… Rats.

Maquis on October 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Ace has some youtube video linked from these kids. I’m not sure what the hell that thing is about but these guys are spoiled brats and it comes straight from the top. Well they were on wife swap twice so that suggests they are nuts too.

So maybe this is finally the “jumping the shark” moment for reality television. One can dream. I’m sure we’ll find a new low soon enough.

stldave on October 15, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Maquis on October 15, 2009 at 11:02 PM

Oh… I have had that dream, except I am landing a 747 on a highway, trying to avoid the telephone polls and wires… made it though, and we all got out in front of a MacDonald’s.

Either I need counselling or a bag of fries.

Danzo on October 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Either I need counselling or a bag of fries.

Danzo on October 15, 2009 at 11:10 PM

Go with the fries!

Maquis on October 15, 2009 at 11:12 PM

I questioned whether it would have even lifted him as well. I did a search and ran across this on democratic undergound:

I was really surprised when the balloon landed, and I saw the size of the balloon. It seemed to be about 20 feet in diameter, by maybe 4 feet tall when it was flying. so the area (PiR squared) would be 310 cubic feet if it was a 20×20 sphere, which it was not.

According to Yahoo answers, a cubic foot of helium can lift, the weight of the air it displaces. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070107183

“At sea level, air weighs about 0.078 pounds per cubic foot, so the upward buoyant force on a cubic foot of helium is about 0.078 pounds.”

Now at sea level air weighs more than at Denver’s elevation, so at 5,000 ft above sea level that balloon could carry less weight.

Even if it were double that size (600 cubic feet),At sea level that 600 cubic foot balloon could lift 600 (X)times .078 pounds, or 46.8 pounds (including the mylar skin)

My conclusion is that the balloon in question (in a balloon that was more like 300 cubic feet) would not get off the ground with a 50lb child on board.

So I have great hopes that the boy is OK.

boomer on October 15, 2009 at 11:24 PM

Kids can disappear like that.

We had a search a few years ago for a missing 5 yo boy. We had Sheriff’s deputies, volunteers, family, dogs, and were activating our SAR group when he was found.

He was right on the porch where everyone was going in and out. He had crawled under a covered BBQ that was on the porch.

A lot of red faces, but stuff happens.

Didn’t it say that the older brother had video of the kid climbing into the UFO? I think that would have convinced me too.

schmuck281 on October 15, 2009 at 11:52 PM

Glad the boy is safe, but the whole thing smells fishy to me…

Khun Joe on October 16, 2009 at 12:14 AM

So the dad has a huge tin foil balloon…

Jiffy Pop?

/just sayin

Key West Reader on October 16, 2009 at 1:37 AM

CNN can’t even give a follow up question to a 6 year old when the kid said it was “for the show”. Then the mother said they looked “in small drawers” like he’s Tom Thumb. And neighbors homes.

Oh but we didn’t look in the garage attic. Kid thought we were playing hide and seek. Dumb azz parents. We’ll TALK to the kid tonight.

ChiTownPizza on October 16, 2009 at 3:46 AM

I didn’t see an answer to this question: Why was the balloon inflated if they weren’t planning to launch it?

Ronnie on October 16, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Love the stories.

DFCtomm on October 15, 2009 at 6:54 PM

TexasDan on October 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM

22??!! By the time I was 22 I was married two years and making house payments & car payments. 22 with a sling shot??!! Grow Up!

Jeff from WI on October 16, 2009 at 5:40 AM

The story does not sound fishy to me.

When my older brother was six or so he hid behind\under the couch to avoid having to take a nap, and then he fell asleep. When he woke up the police were present and talking about the search for him with our parents. He was then afraid to come out, and he hid for several more hours.

darktood on October 16, 2009 at 6:53 AM

Count me among the many who thought that this story stank ‘long about 3 p.m. yesterday. The police and the family must have been calling out for Falcon in kindly terms for at least a couple of hours. Even if I were afraid and hiding, I’d come out if I heard my mother pleading, and sounding sad and frightened.

And as soon as I heard, late in the game, that there some sort of box had been attached to the bottom of the balloon, I yelled at the Fox newscaster, “Why are we hearing about this now?” Why didn’t the parents think about it sooner? Now it turns out that there never was one?

Sounds like a publicity stunt by a TV-hungry family. If it was, I hope they get nailed and have to pay for the rescue.

Copy-cat incidents may not end so happily.

KyMouse on October 16, 2009 at 7:10 AM

Joe Scarborough just played clips of this boy vomiting on live TV on Today Show. Joe Scarborough just played clips of this boy vomiting on live TV on GMA.
This family is up a certain creek without a paddle.

(Watching Diane Sawyer having to tell these two brainless parents to get off their butts and go attend to their kid was icing on the cake. Calling CPS red-phone…)

Marcus on October 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM

We all watched CNN’s coverage (all we’re allowed at work), and how freakin stupid they were with their little magic plasma screen etc. and their use of “experts” and of course Wolf Blitzed. What a useless news station.

johnnyU on October 16, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I used to think Palin and most Hollywood stars give kids weird names…

BUT WHAT GIVES PARENTS THE IDEA TO NAME ONE OF THEIR KIDS FALCON?!?!?!!?!?!?

BobAnthony on October 16, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Oh and to the media…

YOU’VE BEEN PUNKED! SERVES YOU RIGHT CORPORATE FASCISTS!

BobAnthony on October 16, 2009 at 8:14 AM

BUT WHAT GIVES PARENTS THE IDEA TO NAME ONE OF THEIR KIDS FALCON?!?!?!!?!?!?

BobAnthony on October 16, 2009 at 8:13 AM

It’s a step up from his older brother Ryo.

Ronnie on October 16, 2009 at 8:29 AM

I will now try to convince my nephew to dress up as “Colorado Balloon Boy” for halloween! ;)

atlgal on October 16, 2009 at 8:39 AM

I like the name Shoe Box for a boy, and Floor Lamp for a girl.

Jeff from WI on October 16, 2009 at 8:56 AM

atlgal on October 16, 2009 at 8:39 AM

Or dress as the brain dead dad or the mom, Yoko

Jeff from WI on October 16, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Meanwhile, Octamom is busy buying all the surplus weather balloons she can find.

Roy Rogers on October 16, 2009 at 6:15 PM

You know what I thought at the very first moment I turned on the TV? That the mylar saucer was some sort of replica from the flying saucer of the movie “Race To Witch Mountain” (the new one).

Movie clip here: http://disneydvd.disney.go.com/race-to-witch-mountain.html

ProudPalinFan on October 16, 2009 at 7:33 PM

How many taxpayer $$ were used to pursue this farce? And where do we go to get those $$ back? Will the parents be billed?

MochaLite on October 16, 2009 at 8:14 PM

dang it…I figured this out and no there is not gonna be anyone left to read it. Here goes…the parents have been on about 5 shows already..they like a camera more than John McCain. So how did they keep the 6 year old quiet for a couple hours. They gave him some tranquilizers or sleeping pills or something. That is why he threw up on TV twice today, he was sick from the drugs they gave him. If anyone is still out there, what do ou think?

Rayhummel on October 16, 2009 at 9:14 PM

Sounds like Dad is going to get in trouble for this hoax. They should send him the bill for all the resources wasted on his little scheme to be famous.

ronnyraygun on October 17, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Someone told me this at work as it was still breaking news. I hadn’t seen it so I said “How big was the balloon?” He looked it up, told me, I did a bit of elementary-school math, and said “no, he’s not on the balloon.”

NOBODY in the chain of media/emergency services did that, and that’s shocking. Word chosen carefully, not surprising, but shocking.

Merovign on October 17, 2009 at 11:09 PM