Breaking: Limbaugh to be dropped from NFL bid for Rams

posted at 4:51 pm on October 14, 2009 by Allahpundit

Instapundit wondered earlier if this was all a stunt to bait the media in classic Rush style. Doesn’t sound like it.

Rush Limbaugh is expected to be dropped from a group bidding to buy the St. Louis Rams, according to three NFL sources.

Dave Checketts, chairman of the NHL’s St. Louis Blues and the point man in the Limbaugh group attempting to buy the Rams, realizes he must remove the controversial conservative radio host from his potential role as a minority member in the group in order to get approval from other NFL owners, the sources said…

Exactly when Limbaugh will be dropped is uncertain, though some familiar with the situation said it could be within the next week. It is unclear if the two sides even have spoken.

Earlier Wednesday, on his syndicated radio show, Limbaugh was defiant, holding on to hope that he still could be part of the ownership group that buys the Rams.

“I’m not even thinking of exiting,” Limbaugh said on his program, according to a transcript provided to ESPN. “I’m not even thinking of caving. I am not a caver. None of us are. We have been betrayed by too many who have caved. Pioneers take the arrows. We are pioneers. It’s a sad thing but our country over 200 years old now needs pioneers all over again, but we do.”

Just yesterday, Goodell called Limbaugh’s old comments on Donovan McNabb “divisive” and unwelcome in the league, which I guess was his hint hint hint to Checketts to start over. From a business standpoint it’s hard to blame him — seeing the league mentioned in news segments about a “plantation” mentality can’t be good for the bottom line — but I guess that’ll depend on whether Rush tries to exact some sort of economic punishment. Anyone expect southern conservatives to boycott football? Me neither.

Update: An interesting point from the comments: If he’s serious about suing for defamation over the false racist quotes attributed to him, he’s now got a claim for damages. Still a tough suit to win but that’s an extra little carrot.

Update: Needless to say, the next vocal liberal who tries to buy a sports franchise is going to have a hell of a time.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 9

Stand up for Rush.

Firebird on October 14, 2009 at 4:53 PM

You know what’s good for the bottom line? Having guys who murder dogs playing QB.

lorien1973 on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

They probably think this is some kind of payback for Van Jones or something.

Lies Lies Lies.

therightscoop on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I think Rush should sue even though he would probably lose… he never made those statements…

I also think the bid was stupid to begin with…

ninjapirate on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

The knives came out quick for Limbaugh. It is a shame, because Rush loves football so much.

portlandon on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Somebody needs to get a list of every shareholder of every NFL franchise and start looking for dirt. Sounds like a job for Breitbart.

Mark1971 on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Business-wise it makes sense, but it sucks to see people get away with floating completely made up quotes about Rush (or anyone) and get away with it like that.

BadgerHawk on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I sure wish he’d buy the Cowboys!

txag92 on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Ridiculous. He was going after the liars with a vengence today.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

And…. we now have financial damages.

Let the cash registers and subpoenas go into overdrive. I hope every single one of these fools gets served by the end of the week.

KingGold on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

I don’t blame Checketts, but I do blame Goodell, other owners, and the players union.

As I wrote earlier today, I’m done buying NFL-licensed crap. And I won’t be buying tickets to any NFL game any time soon.

Goodell, you are a coward.

NebCon on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

score another victory for racial harmony in America with the post racial president. I hope Sharpton is happy.

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Sharpton 1
Rush 0

This time…..

UltimateBob on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

It’s going to take me a while to get the words, but one day I will be taking this out of the NFL’s hide. This is a rejection of conservatives.

Horatius on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

They probably think this is some kind of payback for Van Jones or something.

Lies Lies Lies.

therightscoop on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

Yeah, but Rush still has his show and is rolling in dough.

The NFL is just another David Paterson.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Wow, kinda saw that coming but between the healthcare reform bill moving forward and Rush’s loss on this bid momentum seems to be lost on the Republicans side.

We will see how things play out in a week or two but these things can’t be good.

ckoeber on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Cowards… all of ‘em.

mankai on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

This is a disgrace and all a play to hit conservatives and not make them mainstream, as Limbaugh said today.
Goodell and the people of this group are asses if this is true.

cubachi on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Limbaugh should set up a 3rd party shell corporation partner with the guy he’s currently working with, “drop out”, then let the purchase go through. Then after the paperwork is signed, he can be an owner of the Rams without anyone being the wiser.

Nethicus on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Rush doesn’t need the Rams but the Rams sure need Rush. I hope this turns into an epic fail for Checketts et al all the way around.

red131 on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Trending on Twitter and the hate and misrepresentations out there concerning Rush is unreal.

I want to know how it is an ex con like Michael Vick can play in the league but a successful outspoken business man cannot?

PC in the USA is has ruined us.

FireBlogger on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Has Ray Lewis issued a statement?

SouthernGent on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Behind closed doors they are high-fiving, fist pumping and laughing because they broght down the Man. Just like they did with Imus. Shameful

rjoco1 on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

The main thing that scares the NFL is the new contract they might sign or they might lock the players out. There is a big showdown soon. They don’t want the attention and they know that Rush would shine too much light on the situation.

Some dude on Stuart Varney’s show said as much, and I agree. They don’t want someone with Rush’s platform pontificating on the negotiation process.

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I believe that Rush will deliver some type of pay-back. Sharpton and Jackson have so many skeltons in their closets. This could be an interesting tipping point for the race baiting industry.

clorensen on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

ckoeber on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

ROFL…is that what you’re pinning your hopes on? Pathetic.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I’ve always thought football was a huge waste of energy, but this sucks. We live in a world where hypocrisy rules.

anniekc on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I would boycott the NFL but I already quit watching football several years ago. My guess is that conservatives aren’t that dedicated enough to give up football. Ed will have his NFL thread this weekend like nothing has happened.

Mark1971 on October 14, 2009 at 4:57 PM

I am disgusted. Unsurprised, but disgusted. The lies that came out about Rush in the midst of this were beyond nauseating. These people, these leftists, have shown themselves capable of any calumny, if it advances their hateful, spiteful rejection of any opposition. They are the true totalitarians, monsters who will stop at absolutely NOTHING to destroy anyone who opposes them.

It’s a sad day, not because football is really all that important in the grand scheme of things, but because such evil people won.

kiltedscotsman5 on October 14, 2009 at 4:58 PM

^ Say, if the Democrats have Big Mo on their side now, ya think they’ll be able to pass some sort of health care bill without having to resort to some roundabout in-the-dark tactics? Didn’t think so.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I’m a southern conservative.
I will be boycotting the NFL. Way to go Goodell, yo’re NO Pete Rozell. This is so sad. Rush has several African Americans on his small staff at the EIB. He is far from racist.. I guess this is another liberal victory. Our country is going to hell right in front of us, thanks to the racist liberals..

Atlanta Media Guy on October 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

AP,

If Rush is dropped and he decides to take retribution in the form of legal action against the purveyors of the slander, and the NFL took its action because of the slander, the NFL will get a well deserved black eye. I also think that the ‘plantation’ issue is only going to get legs and grow.

belad on October 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

This makes me furious, but at the same time it’s truly disheartening because everything could easily be refuted and the people spreading the lies would be absolutely humiliated if they just fought back. However, instead everyone caves and he gets dropped from the group.

MobileVideoEngineer on October 14, 2009 at 4:59 PM

Awful, just awful.

Kensington on October 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

lorien1973 on October 14, 2009 at 4:54 PM

And drunks who commit vehicular manslaughter of pedestrians deliver the news.

I hold no brief for Mr. Limbaugh but I hope he sues a few people over this.

DrSteve on October 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Rush won’t back down.

When he has his news conference next week it will be interesting to see who’s on the list.

Brat4life on October 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Why southern conservatives AP? WTF does that have to do with anything? I don’t get the reference to the south or it’s meaning? Enlighten me please.

chief on October 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Oh well, heaven forbid Limbaugh should sully the National Felons League.

Terrye on October 14, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Disgusting.

Utterly Disgusting.

I’m done with PC forever. I’m done with social justice forever. I do NOT want to hear it.

For some reason it seems that a pedophile rapist can be considered a hero and arteest… but somebody who exercises free speech must be stricken from the earth.

This is war.

Skywise on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

fine,
and every time a player or owner acts like a slime it will show how “progressive” the league is.

rob verdi on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

So defamation of character can ruin a man’s opportunity to be a part of a bid for a NFL team. What a lying bunch of locusts, anxious to bring Rush down any way they can. Post-racial my rear.

kingsjester on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

ckoeber on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

You brought checkers to a chess match, stupid.

DrSteve on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

waterloo

sesquipedalian on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I hope Rush fights back. Not necessarily over the Rams bid, since that appears to be dead at this point. But he needs to take it to the media over what was done the last few days. If we allow people to start making up quotes and attributing them to anyone they view as a threat, then there’s no telling how far they can take this.

They badly damaged Palin with a lot of independents by lying about her Down Syndrome baby and making up false allegations over the banning of books. They managed to get Michael Savage banned from an entire country. And now Rush is blocked from buying an NFL team because of racist quotes some left-wing hack posted on Wikipedia years ago.

It’s obvious the high road routine isn’t working anymore. I’m not saying fight fire with fire. Let’s not sink to the level of making up stuff about the other side. But conservatives need to stand up for themselves. And if that requires the threat of legal action, so be it.

Doughboy on October 14, 2009 at 5:02 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Who are the real losers in this shell game? We folks in St. Louis who will probably end up seeing the team moved out of town thanks to a non-local owner. At least Checketts & Co. all have St. Louis ties and will keep the team here.

Mo_mac on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I feel bad for Rush, but the Rams? Really? He should buy an island and make himself President for life… like Qacknutty wants the One to do.

He should take them on for defamation though. Just like keep suing like they keep suing us.

El_Terrible on October 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I’m sorry, but are there any tough guys/real men left in the NFL, apart from maybe Ben Roethlisberger?

I mean, Tom Brady goes around knocking up models and telling us all about global warming, and the Eagles, god help us, were all dressed up in pink hats and socks last weekend over “breast cancer awareness.” Jeezis, even Tiger Woods had a pink ribbon on his hat during the President’s Cup.

BigD on October 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Sue them.

John the Libertarian on October 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

waterloo

sesquipedalian on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Nah, that would be ObamaCare. Just do it.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

this is a dangerous precedent yet again

Same crap happened to Palin

they are in Complete Tribal mode, in herdlike fashion Lying like Dogs to smear their enemies and fellow Americans.

jp on October 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

High-school and college football much, MUCH more than the NFL though.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

So they won’t be boycotting High School football then?

Caper29 on October 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

That’s a bit odd and could do with some ‘splainin’.

BigD on October 14, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I hereby declare journalism dead this day, October 14th, 2009.

SouthernGent on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

So Jay-Z a convicted felon, a man who punched a woman in the face, calls women b*tches * hoes can be an owner of the New Jersey Nets?

tetriskid on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

BigD on October 14, 2009 at 5:04 PM

I’ve been told it takes a true man to wear pink. Any thoughts?

El_Terrible on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I won’t link to is, but Benson’s political cartoon in this morning’s AZ Republic is awful and totally unfair. It depicts the bus driving Rush telling his black riders to sit in the back.

Disagree with his politics; fine.

But smear him as a racist? Absurd hyperbole.

DrW on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Mo_mac on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Yep. Like I said, David Paterson.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

This is repulsive. It is racist. It is incendiary. It’s everything they claim he is…to marginalize him and us.

It’s unamerican.

But, sure, give a team to Fergie-lady hump-liberal. Why not?

Diane on October 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

SEC > NFL

NFL is watered down with too many Big Ten players.

tetriskid on October 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

waterloo

sesquipedalian on October 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

Yeah, this is the biggest controversy Rush has ever been involved in and will totally hurt his ratings.

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

Seriously? Were you laughing when you typed that?

BadgerHawk on October 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

You just gave me another reason not to watch overpaid criminals play. Approval from other owners? Eff them all, you guys can keep putting money in their liberal pockets , not me.

Greed on October 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I’ve been told it takes a true man to wear pink. Any thoughts?

El_Terrible on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Yeah, having lost someone close to me to breast cancer, I don’t mind wearing the pink.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Brat4life on October 14, 2009 at 5:00
Let’s bring it on!

red131 on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

NFL is watered down with too many Big Ten players.

tetriskid on October 14, 2009 at 5:07 PM

I’d like to say IT’S ON!, but you’re right.

BadgerHawk on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I’m no Limbaugh fan, but I think this is a rotten deal. It perverts everything that is (supposedly) good about American enterprise, business and sports.

In a way, though, he may be better off not having to deal directly with the yokels in the NFL and race-hustlers like Sharpton. If they didn’t succeed with their lunacy now, they’d keep trying.

That said, I’m hoping there’s a way he can get some redress for what he’s been put through here. He should be accountable for what he actually says, but to have him pilloried on the basis of made-up “quotes,” and by people who are known liars like Sharpton, is symptomatic of the sad state of our nation.

MrScribbler on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

“To be truthful means using the customary
metaphor — in moral terms: the obligation to lie according to a fixed convention, to lie herdlikein a style obligatory for all.”1
— Friedrich Nietzsche

jp on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

great

Norvell on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Allahpundit,

No way anyone can fact-check this. I trust Rush over these non-sourced stories. Breaking news my butt.

Checketts has a problem in just cutting out Limbaugh. He knows if the decision is made while so many believe these lies the media is telling, lies that Limbaugh is CERTAIN to make clear over time were never made, Checketts’ own reputation will be tarnished. The article, due to its obvious bias, too conveniently leaves all that out.

Think Allahpundit, think. You just referenced crap for news as worthy of a blog post.

Danzo on October 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Maybe the Maras can cut him a slice of a real team.

JammieWearingFool on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I sure wish he’d buy the Cowboys!

txag92 on October 14, 2009 at 4:55 PM

40 year Cowboy fan here. Believe me, the Rams need all the help they can get. The Cowboys and the Yankees are the richest franchises in all of American professional sports. While I do want to strangle him on personnel issues, there aren’t too many owners who have made that franchise what it is now. No, I don’t love Jerry, but you watch who he tries to bring in to coach next year. Digressing, don’t back down Rush. The Rams need someone who knows what they’re doing.

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

The new Liberal Axiom: When you can’t attack somebody legitimately, lie about them. A lot.
Oh yeah…and call them RAAAACIIIIST!

kingsjester on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Maybe Rush will team up with Rupert and takeover NBC.

red131 on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Peace Prize Boy didn’t have a hand in this.

Like a telephone call from Tiny Dancer to the Commish. Or to da Bears owner… with a message.

This smells of Team Obama.

TXUS on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

ckoeber on October 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Your comment has got to be a joke, right?

Also. Rush isn’t going to take much, if any action against the NFL per se. He loves the sport to much which is kinda why I thought this might go this way once this situation blew way out of proportion.

I’ll be damn surprised though if we don’t see some action against the MSM. This will be interesting to watch unfold…

catmman on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Rush should sue, just for the sh%ts and giggles of exposing the lies…

Seven Percent Solution on October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

That’s college football. It’s a religion in the South. Professional football is just a sport.

Redneck Woman on October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

I’ve been told it takes a true man to wear pink. Any thoughts?

El_Terrible on October 14, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Dick Cheney wore a pink tie when Brit Hume interviewed after the buckshot incident. I didn’t like it then, and I don’t like it now. Pink is for girls.

BigD on October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Well, since precedent has been set … let’s all start circulating vicious lies about democrats.

Hmmmmm … ok, drop the “lies” part. The truth about democrats is worse than anything I could make up. Let’s just start spreading the truth.

darwin on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Allah,

College football is bigger than NFL football in the South. I can, and will, avoid the NFL, as well as their advertisers.

flyfisher on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Rush should fight … Lies are not what should be the cause for turn down.

The libturds are so afraid of conservatives going mainstream they piss on and up their leg all the time.

tarpon on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I still can’t believe Olbermann defended Rush on this…

JetBoy on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Just that southerners are famous football fans. Friday night lights, etc.

Allahpundit on October 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I have it on very good authority that Texans do not consider themselves to be ‘southerners.’

LASue on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

I am having a difficult time believing this, too. Just isn’t what was happening today on Rush’s show.

BetseyRoss on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

flyfisher on October 14, 2009 at 5:11 PM

What my county neighbor just said.

kingsjester on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Ridiculous.

CP on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I think Conservatives should boycott the NFL.

HondaV65 on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Friday Night Lights is high school football…in Texas.

flyfisher on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Come on now, though. Aside from the smears — which will be dealth with in due time — Rush is a lot better off not getting involved with the NFL. No sour grapes, either.

ddrintn on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

I personally won’t be watching NFL or buying NFL merchandise. There comes a time when one must sacrifice for principle. Screw ‘em.

jimmy2shoes on October 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I honestly have no eloquence for this. I simply do not believe any publically-avowed conservative is ever again going to be allowed a position of prominence in any non-political field again if liberals and the media can help it. It’s apparently going to be a fight to the death.

As far as the NFL, it can go to blazes. It long ago stopped representing what was valiant and noble and manly. Its athletes are too often the modern-day Achilles, petulent men-childs admirable only for physical ability and not much else.

Horatius on October 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Redneck Woman on October 14, 2009 at 5:10 PM

This.

tetriskid on October 14, 2009 at 5:13 PM

This shouldn’t be allowed to happen. An institution that can give second chances to felons should be big enough to to accept someone who isn’t PC.

Cindy Munford on October 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

kingsjester on October 14, 2009 at 5:12 PM

Excellent

flyfisher on October 14, 2009 at 5:14 PM

No he’s not.

The Lone Platypus on October 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

This is exactly what is going on.

It went into overdrive last year, with Palin and The One.

Any of you guys remember the Orson Scott Card interview with Glenn Reynolds about his book “Empire”. He kinda predicted alot of this stuff, interestingly enough I remember Charles Johnson linking it at the time(now he’s doing what Card was warning against).

jp on October 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

FlyoverJ-HawkFan on October 14, 2009 at 5:09 PM

I’ve been a Cowboys fan all my life, even worked for Mr. Aikman right out of college. Jerry Jones has been the downfall of the Cowboys and has tarnished their brand. I was especially appalled at the way he fired Coach Landry. Jerry needs to fail so that the Cowboys can succeed.

txag92 on October 14, 2009 at 5:15 PM

Could this leak be a lie to pressure Limbaugh to back away? They’ve lied about everything else.

SouthernGent on October 14, 2009 at 5:16 PM