Video: Liz Cheney launches new group to challenge Obama on foreign policy

posted at 6:05 pm on October 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

Good news for everyone. Hawks get a well funded, well connected nonprofit to put out the message — and there’s plenty of reason to think the public will be receptive — and doves get a new Cheney/Kristol collaboration they can screech at. If PNAC had a PAC…

Keep America Safe will focus on issues like troop levels, missile defense, detainees, and interrogation, according to Liz Cheney, who is heading the group along with Weekly Standard editor William Kristol and Debra Burlingame, the hawkish sister of an American Airlines pilot killed in the September 11 attacks…

“The Left has dozens of organizations and tens of millions of dollars dedicated to undercutting the war on terror,” said Kristol, a seasoned partisan warrior. “The good guys need some help too.”

The group’s mechanics are largely a product of former campaign aides to Senator John McCain: Michael Goldfarb, now a Weekly Standard blogger, is an adviser to the group; its executive director is McCain war room chief Aaron Harison, and the video was produced by Justin Germany, the McCain aide who produced a campaign video titled, “The One,” which mocked Obama as a messianic figure.

LC denies that starting the group has anything to do with her political ambitions, but given that this will establish her as even more of a go-to spokesman for hawks on cable news than she already is, that’s hard to take seriously. Here’s the website; the section on CIA interrogations under “Resources” is, not surprisingly, the most worthwhile part. And here’s the new video, which is slickly produced but needlessly melodramatic per the music. The use of multiple clips from Fox News stands out too. Like it or not, FNC is a conservative bugaboo for at least some of the centrists Cheney’s trying to lure into the hawkish camp; if it wasn’t, Anita Dunn wouldn’t be whining about it daily. Keep the partisan signposts out of the spots going forward, please.

Comments

Palin/LizCheney ’12

Palin/Rubio ’12

Take your pick.

400EV’s

battleoflepanto1571 on October 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Cheney and Kristol are leading this?

Well, well.

Kristol is also a big fan of Palin. I wonder if they might “link up” at some point in this effort – or in others?

Maybe I’m reading too much into it but one can hope.

HondaV65 on October 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Bugaboo? Come on, FOX is uber-popular for a reason, because all those people who are supposedly scared of the network are actually tuning-in every night. If centrists would rather walk into Ogabe’s camp and sell-out our troops because of FOX then they weren’t going to be attracted by LC anyway.

Bishop on October 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM

Bravo Liz Cheney!

Almost every aspect of Obama’s foreign policy is a disaster… Cheney will have fun challenging the idiot and his insane policies…

IntheNet on October 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM

after the Russian debacle this afternoon Carter is starting to look like Machiavelli.

rob verdi on October 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

I just looked at the ad. Anyone who thinks the GOP won’t make historic gains next year needs to look at that ad. Matching Democratic words to what they actually delivered is going to be the name of the game.

And it’s going to devastate the Democrats.

HondaV65 on October 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

Already joined. Another smart conservative woman.

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I thought it was an okay ad. There will be more fodder over the next year for many more like it.

Mallard T. Drake on October 13, 2009 at 6:12 PM

Already joined. Another smart conservative woman.

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Me too. I look forward to Secretary of State Liz Cheney in the Palin administration.

jimmy2shoes on October 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Liz Cheney: a conservative who has our backs.

BuckeyeSam on October 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Liz is about the only voice who can and does refute the left effectively and articulately. Go Liz! We are so thankful that you are standing for America’s interests.

johnnybgood on October 13, 2009 at 6:14 PM

“The good guys need some help too.”

… AMEN!

Seven Percent Solution on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Liz Cheney has more balls than many of the Republican congress critters allegedly representing the conservative populace.

IC on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM

battleoflepanto1571 on October 13, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Yes, but how will we fair with the Skittle-pooping Unicorn demographic?

Like it or not, someone named Cheney isn’t going to win in 2012. Just like Nixon wouldn’t have won in 1980 despite the screw-up that was Carter.

amerpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM

jimmy2shoes on October 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Amen. Amen. Amen.

(From the “mob” deep in the heart of Txas.)

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Yes, I agree, Liz Cheney’s superb, her courage and candor is superb…her new organization should also be as viable as she certainly is.

I’d vote for her for the Presidency in a flash.

Lourdes on October 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

Great clip, even with the music. But you’re right that tv spots from CNN would have been better.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 6:18 PM

amerpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Never say ‘never’. Surprises in life do continue to happen. And Dick Cheney maintains huge support among Conservatives, as does his daughter, Liz, for substantial reasons.

The name, “Cheney,” sends the Left into mental territory like page turning, I agree, but, so, well, so what.

Lourdes on October 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Bishop on October 13, 2009 at 6:09 PM

I think the more important point is to show that even left leaning outfits like CNN consider some of President Obama’s foreign policy moves to be either naive or outright dangerous.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Good news. Onward and upward, Liz!

petefrt on October 13, 2009 at 6:21 PM

Lourdes on October 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Don’t get me wrong; I’d have no problem with President Cheney. But someone with that name won’t win the presidency just four years after VP Cheney left office.

Fred excited conservatives, too. Conservatives despised McCain. Only one even made it past the primary campaign. Not to say the same will be repeated in 2012, but conservatives — especially on this site — are hardly representative of the public at large.

amerpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Didn’t like the anchor. Sorry.

Aristotle on October 13, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I’d have to agree that 2012 is probably too soon for Liz, but 2016 might be a shoo-in. It looks like she’s got the goods in spades, and if she wants it, sooner or later it will be hers.

petefrt on October 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

I’m looking forward to the screeching to start right now…in this thread.

BigWyo on October 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Given what is reasonably set to transpire over the next 50 plus years, cementing into place the Hawk issue is a good move in the long run.

jp on October 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Finally, some Republicans who can and will articulate alternative ideas to Obama’s government takeover.

And it’s going to devastate the Democrats.

HondaV65 on October 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM

The problem is the GOP has no unified voice, no strategy, and sorry candidates. You are more optimistic than me.

conservative pilgrim on October 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM

amerpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM

Nothing against you but I hope to live to see the day you are wrong.

fourdeucer on October 13, 2009 at 6:26 PM

I’m not so worried about the Fox clips featured in the video, AP.

I did think the video could dispense with the “Obama golfs while the world falls apart” theme toward the end. That’s a cheap shot that I don’t think rises above the noise level for any of our presidents, Democrat or Republican. POTUS travels in a bubble of constant connectivity to his responsibilities, and if I didn’t think it was unconscionable for Bush to play golf or visit the ranch while shouldering his burdens (and I didn’t), I don’t think it’s the issue with Obama.

Still, I say let LC be LC, and frame this the way she wants. I wish her well. It’ll be interesting to see if this group becomes the “Committee on the Present Danger” of the coming decade.

J.E. Dyer on October 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM

My grandfather is a major liberal but still watches Fox. He said it’s more balanced. No, not kidding.

I see what you’re saying, but, what I think would kill two birds with one stone is mingling the networks in the same spot. Not only are you adding dem street cred, but, you’re chipping away at the lie that Fox is purely partisan by association.

.02

I love this idea, however. I think Cheney is stellar. 2012? One could hope…

Diane on October 13, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I like it. And I like Liz Cheney.

Terrye on October 13, 2009 at 6:28 PM

This is a great idea….. no matter who did it.

But I am glad it was Liz.

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 6:30 PM

I would vote for Liz for Senator or President. She is terrific. Between Liz, Sarah Palin, and Michelle Bachmann conservative women are really making a splash. What is frustrating is that our leaders are not coming from Congress itself. We have some really good Senators and some VERY good House members, but few with the brains, charm, and charisma of Cheney, Palin, and Bachmann. Many of our best conservative men House and Senate are dull or otherwise uninspiring.

winged on October 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Maybe in their free time, Bill Kristol and Liz Cheney can combat the ridiculous nepotism in Washington.

e-pirate on October 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Has she had the five minute tutorial on the glories of Islam and the need to respect, shield and carry water for it? Has Palin?

BL@KBIRD on October 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Testicular fortitude. She’s got it.

portlandon on October 13, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Let’s roll baby!

Coastal Paradise on October 13, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Love Liz, like to see her as Pres and Sarah as Energy Sec and let’s get something done….

Bambi on October 13, 2009 at 6:36 PM

LIZ would make the best SOS since…ah…in my lifetime anyway…;)

jerrytbg on October 13, 2009 at 6:37 PM

On the other hand, it ties the moderate dems to Obama’s foreign policy issue by portraying conservatives as having a monopoly on hawkish foreign policy.

Tie every extremist view to every liberal I say.

jhffmn on October 13, 2009 at 6:44 PM

Between Liz, Sarah Palin, and Michelle Bachmann conservative women are really making a splash. … We have some really good Senators and some VERY good House members, but few with the brains, charm, and charisma of Cheney, Palin, and Bachmann.
winged on October 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Agree 100%. Imo, we blew it big time when we didn’t run Jeane Kirkpatrick back in the old days. If ever there were a natural home for mature intelligent women, it’s the GOP, but up to now the GOP has been too dense and lethargic to capitalize on the oppportunity. With all this fresh female talent on the horizon, I hope now is the time for this to change.

petefrt on October 13, 2009 at 6:45 PM

jimmy2shoes on October 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Amen. Amen. Amen.

(From the “mob” deep in the heart of Txas.)

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

If that happens then, it will leave Press Secretary open for Mark Steyn.

Sapwolf on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I liked it and I think the whole video is effective. I like and admire Liz and hope she and Sarah team up in some capacity. The window of opportunity to stop what O and Co are doing is closing and I appreciate that Cheney, Kristol and the 3rd person started this fight for America!

CCRWM on October 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The facts are lined up nicely in this video, but its DC-oriented touchy-feely in its narrative. It needs a FITNA kind of narrative.
For all of us who already know about His Royal Lyingness, this video narrates what we already know.
For those who worship Obama, MediaMatters will them that it is from FOX !
We don’t need any more narrations about Obama’s forked tongue, we need some plain shocking words
which will make Chrissy leak

macncheez on October 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM

We need to be willing to kill the human shields along with the terrorists. I tuned into 60 Minutes for the first time in years last sunday, because I wanted to watch the human bird cliff jumpers thing, and I had to sit through that segment on Afghanistan where they promoted a message through some Obamilitary officer that it wasn’t worth if to kill hundreds of taliban or al qaeda if one innocent Afgani life had to be killed in the process. They want to legitimize the human shield strategy.

We simply can’t beat any enemy if we are willing to let them win by choosing to utilize human shield tactics.

We should be carpet bombing the enemy the same way the Democrats carpet bombed the Christian Serbs on behalf of their Bosnia-al qaeda allies a decade ago.

Buddahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

winged on October 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

The “5CubClub”

Sapwolf on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Lib heads are going to explode! Joined and donated this morning.

farright on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Already a member:):)Thanks Liz for doing this!

ohiobabe on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

I thought the music was great. Dramatic? Yes. But fitting for what it was representing. I do, however, agree that relying only on FOX News clips was not good. I think it would have been better to have had clips from varying news agencies, to show that FOX isn’t the only one showing that kind of stuff, and the sentiment is more widespread.

Highlar on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

You go, girl(s).

Christian Conservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Where in the heck else are you going to get news clips exposing Obama for the liar he is? CNN? MSNBC? CBS? ABC? NBC?

Fox is the only news organization that airs actual news that is detrimental to Obama!!!!!!!

Vince on October 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM

e-pirate on October 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Do you think the name Cheney will help or hurt her cause on any electable grounds within the squishy middle? Be careful how you answer. I would hate for you to counter your own premise. You might even hate giving a Cheney name more credit than you wish on the other hand.

anuts on October 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

If that happens then, it will leave Press Secretary open for Mark Steyn.

Sapwolf on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

How sweet that would be! It would make Tony Snow (and the rest of us) proud.

petefrt on October 13, 2009 at 7:18 PM

Vince on October 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM

True
But HLN ( of CNN) runs the same news items as actual news reports too and some of that footage should have been mixed with FOX’s footage , to blunt the MediaMatters attack.

macncheez on October 13, 2009 at 7:24 PM

jimmy2shoes on October 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Amen. Amen. Amen.

(From the “mob” deep in the heart of Txas.)

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 6:17 PM

If that happens then, it will leave Press Secretary open for Mark Steyn.

Sapwolf on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

And John Bolton at the UN.

publiuspen on October 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM

Mor Liz, less Linds

SouthernGent on October 13, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Sign me up!

Liz Cheney needs to run for elected office…and fast!

I think she would kick some serious Obama butt!

NavyMustang on October 13, 2009 at 7:44 PM

While most of the GOP men roll over for the One, real conservative women are on the move.

I would vote for Sarah, Liz or Michelle any day. Maybe they can also help reform the women’s movement into something worthwhile. Go girls!

Common Sense on October 13, 2009 at 7:48 PM

At risk of being flogged right here in the comments section, I just want to say that I wish Palin was as convincing in interviews as Liz Cheney. I like both, but I think Cheney has the real future with the party.

Daemonocracy on October 13, 2009 at 8:14 PM

If you wanted to see heads explode, Liz Cheney as SOS would do it …

Given enough exposure to voters, Liz would overcome whatever “Cheney” smear the left threw at her. She’s that good.

But it’s not a “2012″ project …. it’ll take more time to get through the noise.

BD57 on October 13, 2009 at 9:14 PM

The kids in the white house are on notice: The adults are watching…

Thanks Liz!

TN Mom on October 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM

I’ve already signed up and plan to contribute soon. I love Liz Cheney.

D2Boston on October 13, 2009 at 9:36 PM

I’m ready to follow Liz Cheney right to the center of the sun. Who’s with me?

WordsMatter on October 13, 2009 at 10:08 PM

It is encouraging to see some conservative women engaged in the political arena. I don’t know Liz Cheney too well but the one time I did watch her on PMSNBC once she was spectacular. She is one smart cookie.

Alfresco on October 13, 2009 at 10:09 PM

Not quite a “conservative bugaboo” if you listen to
Dunn carefully. She is attempting to connect Fox News to Republicans, not Conservatives. Republicans are far less popular than Conservatives. A majority of the American public self-identifies as Conservative. Dunn is attempting to connect the Administration’s most significant critics in the domestic news media to her political opponents. No doubt part of the strategy is to conflate Conservatives with Republicans to the formers’ detriment as Allah does here. Casting the conservative voices on Fox News as evidence of Fox News bias in favor of the Republican Party is part of an effort to discredit critics obviously viewed as problematic. Alleging partisan political motives is intended to deflect attention from the serious policy issues which actually underlie the criticism.

Conservatives are increasingly self-defining as Independents and will refuse to be saddled with Republican baggage. Efforts such as this will be unavailing and will raise further questions regarding the Administration’s judgment and its competence.

novaculus on October 13, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I’m looking forward to the screeching to start right now…in this thread.

BigWyo on October 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Leaving disappointed….

Apparently the resident hand wringing, too smart, cowardly LibSpaz Trolls have decided to chime in with “I got nothing…chicks scare the hell out of me…”

Good effort…

BigWyo on October 14, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Well, that’s certainly one approach. Another approach might be to refuse to play along with the attempt to marginalize Fox News as not really the news, and reference it just like you would any other news source.

I know which approach I’d prefer to see.

Honestly, I think this tendency to cave to every criticism from your political opponents has caused all kinds of problems.

Way back when Bush 41 was president, the Speaker of the House, Jim Wright, kept shutting down the government to try to force Bush to break his “Read my lips: no new taxes” pledge and agree to a tax hike. Bush should have followed Reagan’s example and talked directly to the American people. But the media absolutely hated that, and criticized Reagan for it repeatedly. So Bush let the shutdown of the government be blamed all on him because he would have been criticized for appealing directly to the American people. That one decision led to the recession and gave Clinton the chance to run against the economy. Plus, whenever Bush criticized candidate Clinton for being dishonest, he would be reminded of the pledge he broke.

Why do we let bogus criticism define us?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Joined.
Loved the ad.
Precise and very good at showing Obama’s hypocrisy and dishonesty in a short time span.

Baxter Greene on October 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 14, 2009 at 12:23 AM

Exactly.

We saw this over the last 8 years with the “Bush lied”, “Culture of Corruption” bogus talking points that the MSM and entertainment industry drummed 24/7.
It certainly helped the democrats deflect from their own lack of real solutions to demonize their opponents and ride into the White House and a filibuster proof Congress.

Now we see the liberals using this same tactic with painting anybody who disagrees with Obama as a “racist” and “right wing extremist”.

It is crazy to ignore or dismiss the demonization of Conservatives and we do so at our own risk.

It has been very effective in democrats keeping power in states they have destroyed like NY,MI,CA,and NJ.
(the line “I know we have made mistakes but at least we are not those stupid,racist Republicans” is common place in these blue states).

We should expose and fight back against every smear,lie,and bogus scandal that liberals perpetrate.

Baxter Greene on October 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM

Keep Israel Safe.

The Dean on October 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM

I love Liz Cheney!! I think she’d make a great VP … and then eventually the Pres!

Mitt Romney/Liz Cheny 2012

Snicker_Snort on October 14, 2009 at 4:13 AM

The Dean on October 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM
I agree, it’s too bad the Jews vote like lemmings and don’t seem to care about Israel.

The Dean on October 14, 2009 at 3:37 AM
I agree wouldn’t that be a knock out team?

Bambi on October 14, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Palin/Cheney 2012

christene on October 14, 2009 at 4:50 PM

Our strong conservative women who are willing and able to speak out are uplifting. They give us some hope for our future.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM