Michael Steele launches new blog called, um, “What Up?”

posted at 6:43 pm on October 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

What can I tell you. He had a good few months there, though, didn’t he?

Welcome back, chairman.

The Internet has been around a while, now. But, I still find it an amazing platform for innovation, not just in technology, but in life. Beyond admiring the way it powers so many inventions and businesses, it has become a personal thing for me. I love the fact that, wherever I might be, I can use technology to see my family and chat with them, and Social Media to tap into what my friends are doing.

Today, I want to begin to better connect with Republicans everywhere.

My first blog entry, therefore, is really a couple of questions for you; use the comment button to send me replies. We will run as many questions as we can, which I will answer.

Why are you are Republican? Think about that for a minute.

I’m not registered with any party, actually, annnnnnd pretty happy about it today. Among the glitches on the newly redesigned GOP.com: The site password was visible for a time in the New York section and the “Future Leaders” page was left (temporarily) blank. Quoth the chairman: “It’s a beta site, meaning that there — we’re working out a lot of the kinks and the bugs… So the Dems can have their fun.” And so they have. Way to score an own goal, pal, completely needlessly and amateurishly.

Oh, and apologies to LGF on behalf of our “wingnut blog” for failing to cover this sooner. Granted, there were not one but two items about it sitting in Headlines for hours, but when a site that gave up blogging about Iran and the New York City terror plot to focus on the urgent threat from creationism tells you you’re falling down on the job, you listen.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

I don’t get it. Why would you listen to LGF? They are insane.

dKap on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

The awesome intellectual dynamo that is Charles Johnson continues to impress.

Ed Morrissey on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Oy vey, dawg. Fo shizzle

Also, Allah the Independent? Double oy vey…

Kensington on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Ditto. And nice b!tch slap to CJ.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 6:47 PM

Le sigh.

Rollie on October 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM

The awesome intellectual dynamo that is Charles Johnson continues to impress.

Ed Morrissey on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I, for one, find his two sentence posts on complex topics and pictures of fence posts to be intellectually stirring.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM

dkap

It was /sarc!

ArmyAunt on October 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM

Who cares what the leftists at LGF think?

elduende on October 13, 2009 at 6:48 PM

I see Little Green Froggers comments finally dropped to two digits.

How’s that slow webicide working for you, chump?

Aristotle on October 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

You make me smile, AP.

Weight of Glory on October 13, 2009 at 6:49 PM

Whassup?

starfleet_dude on October 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I’m going to be PC incorrect for a minute. If you do not want to be sterotyped, then don’t act sterotypical.

“What up?” Who is he trying to impress? Sheesh.

milwife88 on October 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM

OUCH!!

Charles, Allah just slapped da’ taste outcha mouth.

portlandon on October 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM

The awesome intellectual dynamo that is Charles Johnson continues to impress.

Ed Morrissey on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Heh.

Weight of Glory on October 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Heh. Some reason seeing Allahpundit rag on Charles Johnson is just awesome.

Probably because it confirms my own prejudices.

frankj on October 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Frankly, I spend way to much time at HotAir to bother with Michael Steeles new blog.

fourdeucer on October 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Man, Steele…

I really thought he’d do a good job. But dropping the ball on security on top of the over all lameness of the site does not speak well for his ability.

I’m also still in shock over the senior’s bill of rights. That sort of thing is like the antithesis of conservatives. I understand wanting to score political points, but a senior’s bill of rights?

jhffmn on October 13, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I love you right now.

Emily M. on October 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM

What’s UP???

It certainly isn’t any faith or trust in the RNC right now.

BigWyo on October 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

This makes the youth laugh at the “adults.”

cubachi on October 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Bwahahhahhahhahhaa!

HahahhahHHAHahhahhah!

Charles Johson just got fo’shizzled in the pi’zzle by Allah my’nizzle!

LMFAO

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 6:53 PM

THEY JUST GET DUMBER AND DUMBERER-UR.

Just when you think the GOP might have a brain you have Lindsey “Chill out” Graham and Olympia Snowe start talking.

Then you have this website and Michael LameSteele.

Hey Steeley how about talking about “Presumed Consent” for Organ donation in the future of American Healthcare? It’s already happening in the UK. How would Americans like having the Organ harvesters waiting at the door for their loved one to pass on? How about that Steeley?

How about unplugging Granny and throwing her off the Lifeboat?

PappyD61 on October 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM

Ain’t nuthin’ but a G thang, baby.

(racist!)

Aquateen Hungerforce on October 13, 2009 at 6:54 PM

I’m sure if Hot Air was the first to criticize this “What up” blog, CJ would have been the first to call Hot Air racist.

stldave on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I bid you all..Adieu!

Christien on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

The GOP needs to go to these conservative and/or christian colleges and start hiring some of these younger individuals that know a two or thing about websites. Goodness, I can’t imagine any of my web designer friends doing these idiotic mistakes.

deidre on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Way to get yourself banned!

tommylotto on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Heh. Some reason seeing Allahpundit rag on Charles Johnson is just awesome.

I haven’t said anything about him before and hope not to again. I used to love his blog; it’s what inspired me to start blogging, so I get no joy from squabbling with him. But the sneering about “wingnut blogs” was too much. I eat plenty of crap for being an atheist and taking occasional swipes at creationism myself. I criticize Palin and Glenn Beck when a lot of other conservative bloggers don’t. Who is he to accuse me of being some talking-point machine?

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

I love you right now.

Emily M. on October 13, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Yes, Allah showed how to be Alpha!

GO ALLAH!

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

OH SNAP Y’ALL

angryed on October 13, 2009 at 6:56 PM

What up? Your 15 minutes, Mr. Steele. Now get to work on closing some primaries.

Ronnie on October 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

You kidding? It’s DYN-O-MITE! About time the Republican Party got hep to the groovy lingo all the kids are speaking.

S. Weasel on October 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

Who is he to accuse me of being some talking-point machine?

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

*grins*

I am enjoying the testicular fortitude you are showing today. It is a side that is very… sexy! Good job!

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 6:57 PM

The Republicans are messing up something as easy as taking candy from a baby.

I’m disgusted by them. They act like Betas!

Gob on October 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM

posted at 6:43 pm on October 13, 2009 by Allahpundit

The awesome intellectual dynamo that is Charles Johnson continues to impress.

Ed Morrissey on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Love the sarcasm. You’re both on a roll today.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Here Chuckie, post this on your website:

I HOPE THE CANCER IN YOUR REMAINING BALL METASTASIZE AND KILL YOUR MOTHER

oH NOoes extremisM!

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Oh. F***ing. SNAP.

It’s on.

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM

Yeah it actually doesn’t work as far as logging in goes either. I mean, it’d be shocking that Steele’s post only has 7 comments, except that registration doesn’t seem to work.

But yeah, they should probably have launched a closed beta before launching an open beta.

apollyonbob on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

The awesome intellectual dynamo that is Charles Johnson continues to impress.

Ed Morrissey on October 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

Charles Johnson is a sage, bestowing political wisdom upon the masses. A virtuoso, genius, and politico in every sense!

/sarc

Shock the Monkey on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

I haven’t said anything about him before and hope not to again.

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

Which, after what one of his moderators did to this blog, was both admirable and incredibly frustrating.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Ooooooh – look at the sparkly logo:

Terry_Dyne on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Damn, LGF closed registration…how can I get e-streetcred w/o a ban from LGF?

Chris_Balsz on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

His was one of the first blogs I read, but he seems to lately have trouble picking his enemies. First it was the creationists (who can be a wee bit annoying, but come on) and now everybody is a radical who needs condemning.

frankj on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

What Up ?
Thats what the repubs could come up with. Whose bright idea was that ? Them :

The folks at PJTV should have been consulted instead

macncheez on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Wazzup bro!

Um, I doubt Mr Steele is doing ANY of his own graphics or security setup for that website.

And if he is, well, FAIL.

ornery_independent on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Who is he to accuse me of being some talking-point machine?

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

He’s gorgeoth and thofisthicated, baby.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Guess I’ll have to stay up until 3a.m. again, just in case one of Johnson’s moderators comes calling.

Christien on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 6:55 PM

And now he’s so threatend by you, he posts ‘HotAir comments of the day’ in an attempt to defame HotAir.

Sometimes you end up passing your heroes by :\

apollyonbob on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Also, apparently the majority of Republican Heroes are black or women.

Did not know that.

Terry_Dyne on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

frankj on October 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Not everybody. I don’t see him covering Leg Tingle’s Rush Limbaugh murder fantasy. Creationists and global warming skeptics are far more dangerous.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Did you notice CJ made his transition into a GOP hater right after a man of color became chairman? Peculiar “coincidence” indeed.

It really is disgusting to see the vile racist Charles Johnson smearing Steele just because he happens to be a black man.

Aristotle on October 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Also, apparently the majority of Republican Heroes are black or women.

Did not know that.

Terry_Dyne on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Come to think of it, it’s true. It’s the white womyn/myns that are failing us: Snowe, McCain, Graham, some whore, that whore, etc.

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM

In 1995 Charles Johnson was arrested for lewd conduct with a 15-yr old in Palos Verdes.

Is it true? Since you’re all racists anyway, we can assume it is.

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM

Is this supposed to be the GOP equivalent to the DNC blog? That place is a snakepit.

I’ll logon, but I’m not sending my pic in.

ctmom on October 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I’m glad to see the LGF has rejoined the Democrat party where they belong.

Spathi on October 13, 2009 at 7:05 PM

As for Steele, this guy just can’t keep from shooting himself (and ourself) in the foot. He makes unneccessary concessions at the worst possible time (Hughley, Bertha Lewis), he writes the jokes for the opposition himself with hamhanded rollouts like this (no leaders), and he seems to go for transparently phony and borderline insulting outreach (What Up?…c’mon) over serious discussion time and time again.

I liked the guy when he was on Fox because he showed an ability to argue points pretty effectively, and I was hoping the structure was there already to organize for fundraising and spending. I thought he’d be a pretty decent frontman, but I was wrong.

stldave on October 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM

Damn, LGF closed registration…how can I get e-streetcred w/o a ban from LGF?

Chris_Balsz on October 13, 2009 at 7:00 PM

LOL.. have to be quick. But being banned from that site was nothing. Seriously find another site to ban you.. like HA! j/k

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 7:06 PM

apollyonbob on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Charles “I like to ride my bike with the seat taken off” Johnson has a lot of gall to complain about hotair members when white supremacist and LGF moderator and regular Killgore Trout was around here a few weeks ago spamming racial slurs.

Killgore trout claims he was just doing it to show that the moderation’s lax, but that excuse makes no sense since he was told repeatedly that Allah and Ed are asleep but kept at it away. I think it was just a really poor excuse for him to say the n word over and over and over and claim “hey, I wasn’t serious” as a cover-up later.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I have to ask…why is LGF still on the blog roll, even under lefty sites, if they’re attacking Hot Air and Michelle Malkin? And smearing their commenters? Let alone after sending people to paint the site as racist.

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Naming it “What Up” is lame. It should be named “Waaaaaassssup?” like the old Budweiser commercial

ncborn on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

All Johnson’s strawberries are belong to us.

Christien on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 7:03 PM

Careful, you’ll get a remark under the “misogynist” headline at the white supremacist harboring blog LittleGreenFootballs.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Middle-aged guy. Ponytail. Let’s just leave it at that.

Infidoll on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Allah, please don’t link to the LGF site please.

I don’t want to put a penny in to Crazy Chuckles’ pockets.

omnipotent on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

Well the Michael Steele Rap is awesome. Has that been posted on this website yet?

That would go well with this post.

Spathi on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I agree. LGF is pure trash. Why is HotAir linking to this garbage?

Norwegian on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

apollyonbob on October 13, 2009 at 7:02 PM

Seriously? That’s pretty sad. I think a lot of blog readers got their start at LGF. It was the first blog I started reading, and I’m pretty sure it’s how I learned about Hot Air. Kind of interesting to watch a guy like that go through such a collapse, almost entirely self created.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

I can’t hang with ya, dawg, I’m on’a phone wif Tyrone. Ya feel me?

WWS on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

WTF’s up with “What Up?”

Going for the ebonics cum quasi-literate voters?

Who cares why someone IS a “Republican”?

We don’t need simpering little stories, we need polemical barbs and propaganda speartips that will puncture the overinflated tires of the Democratic juggernaut.

The one rolling over and crushing our liberties as Steele dithers and temporalizes. (What up with dat big word, eh?)

On the Lizard front: aren’t Little Green Footballs a synonym for snot?

And hasn’t that mucus-y substance replaced Charles Johnson’s cortex?

Good kick in the region-formerly-inhabited-by-his-nads, AP!

profitsbeard on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Some LGF Fun:

Here.

Here. (This is the exact same game CJ plays now)

Here. (This is now the smear CJ uses against Palin)

Etc etc. A google site search for LGF is pretty fun. Someone really crapped in his cornflakes.

lorien1973 on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 7:04 PM

I have never heard that. But either way, unless it is actually true, maybe spreading crap that you seriously shouldn’t be talking about is just wrong.

How would you like to be accused of something like that. CJ may be a biggest jerk off on the earth, but even rumors like that are just wrong in any way… political or otherwise.

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

“What Up”?

*sinking feeling in pit of stomach*

I like Steele personally, but IMHO, we don’t need a fancy-pants as RNC Chair, we need an asskicker. I nominate Col. David Hunt. Or someone like Patraeus.

mr.blacksheep on October 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I agree. It’s one thing to position yourself as above the fray, but it’s silly to link to someone who behaves this odiously.

Putting him under the Left banner really doesn’t seem like a punishment that fits the crime.

Kensington on October 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

ncborn on October 13, 2009 at 7:08 PM

This is it!

ncborn on October 13, 2009 at 7:10 PM

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

I think they did it to piss him off.

TO ED:
Make the link nofollow if you haven’t already so he doesn’t get any link juice for Google. or don’t hyperlink at all, just post the url. People need to know he’s a leftard now, so having his site there still serves a useful purpose. I don’t want to see CNN or MSNBC quoting “right-wing pundit Charles Johnson”.

Darth Executor on October 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

MadisonConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:07 PM

Good point. The move to Left Channels was funny, but it’s probably time to drop him altogether.

My wife just mentioned that Allah’s brilliant for including his first real dig at CJ on a thread about how much the GOP sucks, knowing it would likely derail the thread right away.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Embarrassing…simply embarrassing, Michael.

Gothguy on October 13, 2009 at 7:11 PM

Charles Johnson has a personal vendetta against the righty blogosphere. I mean seriously, does he think Daily Kos and Huffington Post are the first to jump all over the Left when they screw up? It is sad to see what he and his blog have been reduced to.

WisCon on October 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Seriously, look at this link:

For the record, because fools like this always ignore it when they get into a cherry-picking frenzy, this is posted at the top of every single page of comments at LGF:

Comments are open and unmoderated, although obscene or abusive remarks may be deleted. Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect the views of Little Green Footballs.

So, by definition, CJ is calling himself a fool. Correct?

lorien1973 on October 13, 2009 at 7:12 PM

Also, apparently the majority of Republican achievements over the last century and a half involve minorities:

1884
A Former Slave Chaired the 1884 Republican National Convention

1952
A Republican Integrated the University of Mississippi

1954
A Republican Wrote the Brown v. Board of Education decision

and so on, and so on….

Waz up with that, Mike?

Terry_Dyne on October 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM

Allah needs to add in the update with the Michael Steele vs. Colbert rap battle.

Spathi on October 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM

The site should be renamed “Give Up”.

Bishop on October 13, 2009 at 7:13 PM

I agree. LGF is pure trash. Why is HotAir linking to this garbage?

Norwegian on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

We can’t pretend the right-wing blogosphere doesn’t owe quite a bit to LGF… even if he’s gone rabid.

frankj on October 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

If it were a gay horse as our chairman, the blog title would be “HAAAAAAAAYYY”.

Apologetic California on October 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Look. It’s a series of tubes people. Very complicated tubes. Sometimes the datas get crossed and we have to hand deliver packets. Sometimes there are viruses in the packets and we have to get them sanitized.

LEAVE MICHAEL STEELE ALONE! /sob

TheUnrepentantGeek on October 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Uh, no.

When you’re launching a site on this level, with this visibility, there is not excuse for an external beta period. That is why you have QA, that is why you do in-house testing, and what you pay your external consultants tremendous amounts of cash to make right before the first public page view.

This was a sad effort. The production team, tech team, and QA did not do their jobs effectively, but in the end, the project manager bears the blame.

This assumes, of course that the GOP had the sense to hire a competent team. Oh, wait…

Bob Owens on October 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

lorien1973 on October 13, 2009 at 7:09 PM

Nice. Kind of ironic for CJ to smear anyone on craziness seeing as he bought into birtherness himself at one point in time.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

We don’t need neocons in the republican party helping elect the Bushes.

The LGF needs to stay in the Democrats party.

Spathi on October 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

Finally.

d1carter on October 13, 2009 at 7:16 PM

frankj on October 13, 2009 at 7:14 PM

right, who’s head are we going to cut off for the shots they have to give CJ. And then who is going to give CJ the shots.

Let him foam at the mouth to the death.

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 7:16 PM

You must have touched a nerve Allahpundit. CJ has responded with a ZOMG HOT AIR COMMENTS ARE THE END OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION!!!1111oneoneone post.

I can’t believe those are the actions of a man over 50 years of age.

MightyConservative on October 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Spathi on October 13, 2009 at 7:15 PM

It sucks when no one pays attention to you, doesn’t it?

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM

It is on!

d1carter on October 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM

TimeTraveler on October 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Let’s not go down that road.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:19 PM

Who?!?

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM

TimeTraveler on October 13, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Knock it off. Do it again and you’re banned.

Allahpundit on October 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM

9 Sharmuta
Tue, Oct 13, 2009 4:03:29pm replyquote 1downupreport

hot air was aptly named. That’s all these people are full of- hot, angry air that they release in the form of their comments. All they do is display their overt hostility on every thread about any topic, and never stop to consider how unappealing that is to the very people they need to convince to join them if they’re going to achieve electoral victories. How stupid is that?

10 enoughalready
Tue, Oct 13, 2009 4:05:04pm replyquote 1downupreport

re: #9 Sharmuta

Very. Oh, it was a rhetorical question. Sorry.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA…At least most here know how to read…

jerrytbg on October 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM

Absolutely. I do believe in evolution, which is why creationism is so horrible — I mean, I suspect people like George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams et al., thought creationism was correct. And if those folk had their way, just imagine what type of country they might have founded. Why, it could have been one founded on individual liberty and freedom.

/sarc.

rbj on October 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM

Who?!?

upinak on October 13, 2009 at 7:21 PM

I don’t get the question. I was saying it’s not cool to just start making ugly stuff up about people, no matter how big a douche they are. There’s a pretty big story developing with regards to Rush along those same lines right now.

BadgerHawk on October 13, 2009 at 7:26 PM