Breaking: Snowe defects on committee vote

posted at 1:22 pm on October 13, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Charles Grassley predicted that the Republicans on the Senate Finance Committee would stick together on the final panel vote on the Baucus health-care overhaul plan.  Unfortunately, he didn’t reckon on colleague Olympia Snowe’s desire to make “history,” which apparently trumps fiscal responsibility and common sense.  Snowe will vote to pass the non-bill, giving Democrats some much-needed political cover:

Republican Sen. Olympia Snowe says she will vote for a Democratic health care bill, breaking with her party on President Barack Obama’s top legislative priority.

The Maine senator kept virtually all of Washington guessing how she would vote until she announced it late in the Senate Finance Committee debate Tuesday. Until then, she told reporters, she had not even let Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., in on her secret. She told her colleagues: “When history calls, history calls,” even though she had some criticism of the bill.

History?  Certainly, we don’t often see Congressional committees passing summaries instead of writing legislation, so that’s one for the history books.  We also don’t often see Congress passing trillion-dollar bills in a rush, although to be fair, they managed to do it earlier with Porkulus — a bill on which Snowe also helped make “history”.  Unfortunately, we see Snowe often crossing over on critical votes, so that’s neither history nor a surprise.

This does give Democrats momentum on the floor.  Snowe’s approving vote makes it tougher for Blanche Lincoln and Ben Nelson to buck their caucus and oppose it.  Joe Lieberman’s opposition may make that a little easier, and a negative CBO score when the language gets written may push Snowe back into opposition.  It’s more likely, though, that the CBO won’t score it in time to make a difference in the floor vote on cloture.

Comments

Hmmm. Fox News is reporting Robert Wexler (D-FL) is set to resign from Congress tomorrow morning, apparently he has a new job lined up.

Kevin71 on October 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM

I’m just gonna guess here but….

Is she by chance PRO-CHOICE?

She’s not one of those people in Congress that continues to support the American Holocaust known as Abortion on demand is she?

She’s not one of those people that supports overspending and driving up our deficits and bankrupting the nation for the greater global vision is she?

She’s not a pitiful career politician elected by dolts in a state that elects people over and over again without really caring what they vote for is she?

Okay, well then I can’t imagine what all the hub-ub is.

Yawn.

PappyD61 on October 13, 2009 at 10:22 PM

I keep hoping for some kind of positive Update in this thread.

Ed? Something? Anything?

misslizzi on October 13, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Her problem is obvious

CEA_Agent on October 13, 2009 at 10:39 PM

Has this type of thing every been rolled back in other countries?

I rest my case.

Juno77 on October 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Good place to rest it too. Rolled back? Sad to say, but that’s overly optimistic wishful thinking.

Gang-of-One on October 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM

It still amazes me that most of you are looking for a political solution to all this. We passed that stage of the game decades ago.

Two Americas now. Traditionalists and the Eurotrash wannabes. Pick your side and let us move on.

ClassicCon on October 13, 2009 at 11:11 PM

She’s so much of a lefty she even lies about what party she’s in.

They’re going to ram this crap through and we’re going to have to fight like hell for 30 years to get rid of the crap while it’s strangling the economy and making a trip to the doctor into a day at the DMV.

And they’ll blame it on everyone but themselves, and they’ll push just as hard no matter how bad they fail and… it just makes me sick to think how much of my life I spend fighting idiots who can’t learn from their mistakes.

Stupidity should be painful for the stupid, too bad it’s usually painful for everyone else.

Merovign on October 13, 2009 at 11:17 PM

Ruth “Buzzy” Ginsberg’s hotter, younger sister?

(Where the hell are my contacts…?!)

Snowe needs to be shoo-ed.

Out of the GOP.

profitsbeard on October 13, 2009 at 11:18 PM

Attach Obama and the Democrats on the issues not this ACORN, Van Jones, and all the other nonsense. Nobody will take you seriously when you do.

Decider on October 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM

You’re wrong. Somebody in the White House paid attention to the “nonsense.” Van Jones got tossed under the bus, and the Acorn shammers are seriously wee-weed up because all over the country the heat is on their greasy a$$es.

Gang-of-One on October 13, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Hey, big spender,
Hey, big spender!
Hey, big spender!
Spend…a little time with …me!

– Olympia Snowe

viking01 on October 14, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Snowe is a moron…or an evil wench. Take your pick.

Libertarian Joseph on October 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Perfect timing today, I received a donation letter from the NRSC or whatever the Senate republican election committee calls itself. It came in the form of another LAME survey. I didn’t indulge them with the answer, Instead, I wrote in thick blue sharpie pen all over the survey in capital letters that thanks to Snowe, they can count on me to send in ZERO dollars to them until all RINOS are voted out at the primary level. And I told them I am sending money directly to the primary opponents of any republican senator who votes FOR cap and tax, amnesty, more spending, and the health care bill. Those are my no go votes.

Then I added insult to injury, I put the survey in the postage paid envelope with ZERO dollars and it is waiting to go into the mail tomorrow. The following post from page 6 of the comments here spells out exactly why we have to go “galt” on these national committees that are wasting our conservative donation dollars on RINOS!!

Of course – the grotesque thing about all this is this …

Snowe won her seat in the last election by a landslide – she was over 70% I think – greatest margin in the nation probably.

How does she do it?

Well … I think she has struck deals with the Democrats for them to not back any serious opponent against her – so she goes for a cake walk every six years.

How much do you want to bet that they are telling her (right now) that if she votes with them all the way through on this health care bill – then they will make sure she has another easy time of reelection in 2012?

And the beautiful thing is – the NRSC keeps her in positions of seniority and then Ayatollah’s like Cornyn tell us how special it is that we have her – and if we lose her then we’ll be a regional party and we want her in our party and to keep her happy and blah … blah … blah.

Meanwhile she’s cutting deals with the Democrats to run virtually unopposed as long as she votes with them on the key points of the Ogabe socialist agenda.

Which is why folks – we need to support people like Sarah Palin and Marco Rubio and – even Huckster (though I don’t like him that much). Those grassroots outsiders are our only hope to get this party on the track again.

HondaV65 on October 13, 2009 at 4:00 PM

karenhasfreedom on October 14, 2009 at 12:31 AM

Obummer is calling it a “bi-partisan” vote….ha! By one vote. I think Lieberman is more of a Republican than Snowe.

Driefromseattle on October 14, 2009 at 2:52 AM

A truely defective human being.

bill30097 on October 14, 2009 at 5:56 AM

What is it this woman doesn’t understand about a socialist coup of our system? The country is hurting fiscally as never before and headed toward becoming part of the EU and a globalist position. The end of American sovereignty. I’m not that convinced the GOP is completely against this anyway. Rather than a “thrill up my leg”, I remember a chill up my spine when Bush the Elder uttered the words, “New World Order”. Sorry I don’t trust any of these elitists, right or left…I’m afraid they are killing my America. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmmm………..

adamsmith on October 14, 2009 at 7:09 AM

With any luck she’ll be one of the few real victims of the swine flu.

Jeff from WI on October 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Snowe should be booted from the party.

zoyclem on October 14, 2009 at 7:45 AM

With any luck she’ll be one of the few real victims of the swine flu.

Jeff from WI on October 14, 2009 at 7:13 AM

Wow, that’s as bad as wishing for someone to move to Wisconsin.

simplesimon on October 14, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Senator Snowe wanted to be part of history and receive extra attention from the President and MSM for voting with the Democrats.
Okay Olympia, you got the history part over, so let’s see what kind of history you want to make if you side with the Liberals when the next vote comes back to the Senate.

yoda on October 14, 2009 at 7:59 AM

Snowe is a moron…or an evil wench. Take your pick.

Libertarian Joseph on October 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM

Both

darktood on October 14, 2009 at 8:12 AM

At this point what does it matter. I don’t think anyone is going to seriously balance the budget until our creditors force us to. What agency of the Federal Gov are the repubs planning to cut? What part of the budget do they propose to dramatically curtail?

snoopicus on October 14, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Because the voters of Maine say so. Enough republicans signed her ballot petition, enough voters gave her the election.

And the only way to get rid of her, is for those folks to decide enough is enough.

Rebar on October 13, 2009 at 10:13 PM

She has 77 days to get 2000 verified signatures, which usually means sending at least 4000. If the Party hadn’t promised her lifetime support, she wouldn’t make it.

Chris_Balsz on October 14, 2009 at 10:23 AM

Kevin71 on October 13, 2009 at 10:15 PM

You mean Robert Wexler will be a quitter?

right2bright on October 14, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Snowe job does it again…wonder how she’ll feel when crap and tax hits Maines biggest industries and she standing with her thumb in her nose saying “history called and you’re f@#$ed”

PatriotPete on October 14, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Was that defects or defecates?

cjk on October 13, 2009 at 9:43 PM

+1,000!

VoyskaPVO on October 14, 2009 at 11:54 AM

What about Olympia Snowe for the Winter Olympics?

gullxn on October 14, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Snowe defects? More like deficates on the republicans, yet again.

VOTE HER OUT IN 2010.