Poll: When will you switch to Windows 7?

posted at 8:47 am on October 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we’ve had a thread on operating systems, and what better time to have one than on the day that Amazon begins pushing pre-orders for the latest version of Microsoft Windows? They’re pushing hard, as they usually do, to get people committed to buying the new release sight unseen:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has recently shown an interest in software or computers at Amazon.com, you might be interested to know that you can get Microsoft Windows 7 delivered to your home the day it comes out, October 22. Simply select Release-Date Delivery at checkout–click here for full details.

To learn more about the exciting features of Microsoft’s newest operating system, be sure to visit our Windows 7 Resource Center and catch up on the latest buzz in our exclusive Windows 7 blog.

It comes in three flavors: Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Prices range from $119 to $299 depending on the upgrade version, but experienced users already know that the real cost comes after the purchase. When software upgrades lock up, existing peripherals no longer get supported, and data gets lost, that’s when users pay through the nose.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are few experiences I enjoy more than an operating system upgrade, perhaps only eclipsed by a Barack Obama speech on prime time, or a slow root canal with not quite enough Novocaine to cover the job. But the thrill of that adventure need not happen immediately; one can wait for the early-adopter crowd to leap forward into the darkness first, and leave enough breadcrumbs for the rest of us to try later.

Think of it in terms of Indiana Jones films, at least before that refrigerator scene. How many times did Indy walk through traps with skeletons already scattered all over the place? Indy may have been adventurous, but I don’t think he would have been an early adopter on operating systems, I tell you. Or, for that matter, let’s not forget that Captain Kirk would send a couple of redshirts to die before figuring out that the latest planet was indeed dangerous.

The wild card in this is Windows Vista. This is an operating system so unpopular that Microsoft had to fake people into thinking it was a new operating system in order to get people to say nice things about it for their commercials (remember “Mojave”?). Windows XP users petitioned Microsoft to keep them from killing XP support and won another year of life, thanks to widespread consumer dissatisfaction. Vista could be driving a big push to get the new 7 in its various forms, which may be why the upgrades are ranked third, 29th, and 12th in Amazon software sales at the moment, respectively.

Are you one of those champing at the bit to either take the Windows 7 adventure or to get as far away from Vista, and as fast as possible? Or are you willing to sacrifice your fellow computer users first, like redshirts on Star Trek? Take the poll and join the comments:

Update: Windows XP will be supported through 2014, apparently. And who are those 10% who want to stick with Vista?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Amazing to see cons talk about OS as if they know what they are talking about.

I guess some of them aren’t as backwards as i thought.

Afrolib on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

I already have it installed on my work laptop, the release version, 64-bit. Runs fantastic.

PastorJon on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Amazing to see cons talk about OS as if they know what they are talking about.

I guess some of them aren’t as backwards as i thought.

Afrolib on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Yet Liberals are every bit the narrow minded fools I thought.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 3:46 PM

I’ve been running the 64-bit rtm on my desktop since it came out. It runs real well.

tai-pan on October 12, 2009 at 3:49 PM

If you want a machine that has everything neatly packaged for you at a very hefty premium, get a Mac.

The premium is overstated, imo. I’ve priced the hardware that makes up the macbooks on generic laptops and the premium is around $200.00 for my 13.3 pro. I’ll take that premium for the sturdy aluminum case, unbelievable bright and clear screen, and OS X.

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Amazing to see cons talk about OS as if they know what they are talking about.

I guess some of them aren’t as backwards as i thought.

Seriously? You’re going to try to go trolling on a thread about Operating Systems? lol

Yeah, I’m a 3D modeler by education, a Computer Tech by trade, and a computer enthusiast and gamer by choice…But I don’t know what I am talking about because I’m a dumb conservative…Heh heh. Yeah.

Oh Afrolib, let us bathe in your ever-spewing fountain of OS knowledge…

/Spemin

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 3:52 PM

test

mojo on October 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM

Sultry Beauty on October 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I’m in the same boat. I’m so disgusted with Microsoft I don’t even want to take the stupid poll.

mike_NC9 on October 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Ah, the elves have been busy.

I’ve been running Win 7 for a couple of months and had no problems. True, I did go buy a new box ($400) to house the beast.

It’s basically Vista with the code base cleaned up and a full set of drivers. Not bad, IMNSHO.

mojo on October 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

I was actually pretty satisfied w/ Vista on my XPS but I’ve been using Win7 beta for several months now. It’s very snappy & secure and even runs my games w/ higher FPS than XP. I already pre-ordered Win7 for $50. Can’t wait!

metric on October 12, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Macs are perfect for people who want to keep things as simple as possible and do as little as possible. They are worth every penny for that segment of the market. I’ve put people with limited computer skills on Macs and it worked out perfectly. These people were been miserable on Wintel machines because they are the type that click on every link in an email and try to open every emailed file. They would never do any maintenance including keeping the AV subscriptions current and that made them perfect virus targets (and believe me, they found a way to infect themselves with every one of them). Worse yet, they always bought the cheapest boxes on the market – garbage from emachines and Gateway (oh the irony). They want to surf, do eamil and video chat, pics and maybe some music and that’s it. Macs are perfect for them.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM

While this is true, I don’t agree with the ‘do as little as possible’ comment.

You can do a lot with Unix underneath the hood if you so choose to. Or not. Its your choice.

Not to mention built in Apache server into the OS.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM

I am one of the 10% sticking with Vista. Just had a new computer delivered today and it came with Vista Ultimate which I heard is better than the other versions of Vista. Anyone have input?

Greyledge Gal on October 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

@greyledge,

Ultimate does have Texas Hold’em.

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 4:09 PM

My mac can do anything a PC can do so why would I want a PoC?! I already have to use one at work.

Bob's Kid on October 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

I hate Vista with a passion! I’ve always been a Microsoft user and my software is all Microsoft. My XP crashed and I got a new computer with an installable media drive and Vista OS. Boy! Was I glad I paid the extra couple $100.00 for the media drive. I cannot count the times Vista crashed when I was using it. The media drive was the only thing that saved me. Half my software was trash and I had to buy new stuff. I hate to say it but the investment ONLY two years ago in a Vista OS computer and software was SO HIGH that I cannot afford to revert back to XP or get something else. The Vista experience has so soured me on MicroSoft and my iPhone is the BEST piece of technology I have EVER purchased that the next time I invest in a new computer I will be visiting the brand NEW Apple Store that opened up in the local mall. Screw MS. It’s not worth the headache and I don’t care who goes before me.

So, yes. I am one of the 10% who answered I stick with Vista. One, because I really have no choice. Two, because I’ve gotten used to the crash and upload saved data from the media drive it’s problems don’t bother me anymore. Well, not as much….

Sultry Beauty on October 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I don’t blame you one bit. People like me did everything we could to warn them and they were so arrogant and so busy trying to do things like a hostile takeover of Yahoo that they would not listen even after Vista began to bomb in the marketplace. They completely took their eye off the ball and worse yet, they arrogantly tried to force it down consumer’s throats by cutting off the XP supply to new system manufacturers like Dell. Dell finally took the lead and revolted and began offering XP again (I am sure only after their Tech support costs probably skyrocketed and customers revolted).

To Microsoft’s credit, they finally took their lumps and listened and Win 7 is the result. Now, if you are interested, you can read reviews of Win7 Vs Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6) and see that virtually all of them give the nod to Win7.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Bob’s Kid on October 12, 2009 at 4:10 PM

No it can’t but it does everything you want it to do and that’s all that really matters to you.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

We have 2 Desktops running Vista and three laptops running XP. The laptops are mine (one for work and my personal one). Having to “help” out from time to time on the Vista PC’s just shows me that “Newer” is not always (or seldom is) better. I will stick with my XP pro. From Win98 they went to the OS 2000 (that was s..t) then XP (good) then Vista (VERY BAD) so maybe 7 will be a winner! I will wait until it has been out a year then think about it.

Oh by the way I am a Techie, BSEE degree and am fairly knowledgeable about the workings of OS.

Teleycoman on October 12, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Will it run on my VIC-20?
I’d hate to have to upgrade my hardware to run this exciting new operating system.

LegendHasIt on October 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

I voted for the “pry XP from my cold dead hands” tho. Cuz my crusty old computer isn’t fast enough to run it.
B Man on October 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I find that hard to believe unless it is completely ancient. Win7 runs fine even on netbooks.

metric on October 12, 2009 at 4:13 PM

TheBigOldDog, your making some pretty strange claims.

I’m a software developer/sysadmin by trade and I’ve used Windows and various Unixes for about 20 years now. In terms of ability and tools, Windows fails in every category. You can certainly make Windows fairly robust in that sense, just as you can any OS, but it’s not really native to Windows imo, hence the market share of Unix in the server market.

As for the average Joe, your right, Macs are perfect for them. But Macs are also Unix based and thus you have all the power tools that most unixes do and therefore it’s a natural for power users. Plus, the OS x interface is heads and shoulders above anything Windows has( including W7 ).

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Those numbers cannot be right. WinNT at 30% ? That must be a bug in Sitemeter’s code.

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

It’s simple. I know that Firefox and IE6 user agents often report XP as Windows NT 5.1, which is technically true.

whatsmyuseragent.com

CableDude on October 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

I still remember Windows; it is what I through my PC out of after I bought my Mac!
Proud MacBook Owner! No CTL-ALT-DEL for me!

Apparently your grammar still fails, even with a Mac. What is “throughing” your machine? As for lockups, I’ve had far more Spinning Beachballs of Death than I’d like to remember when using my brother’s Powerbook and MBP. Meanwhile Win7 has been phenomenal. There’s a reason that the Beta got superb reviews from all the tech sites (even the anti-MS ones). Don’t let the Mac fanboys fool you. Win7 is a fantastic OS.

metric on October 12, 2009 at 4:33 PM

When they are playing ice hockey in Hell.

Dave R. on October 12, 2009 at 4:35 PM

I view these much like new electronic gadgets. Never EVER buy them when they hit the shelves. Keep intune to what all the pioneers are experiencing. Wait 4 to 8 weeks when Microsoft comes out with the updates. I just might go against my usual m.o. though and switch right away to get rid of the Vista that came with my new laptop.

oakpack on October 12, 2009 at 4:38 PM

Proud MacBook Owner! No CTL-ALT-DEL for me!

I’ll stick to my pc with spellcheck.

oakpack on October 12, 2009 at 4:40 PM

TheBigOldDog, your making some pretty strange claims.

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Which claims would those be exactly?

As for OS X, read the head to head comparisons that are as common the Net as Autumn leaves in my back yard. That’s not me. That’s the industry.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:43 PM

whatsmyuseragent.com

CableDude on October 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

That explains it.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:49 PM

Um, perhaps this claim:

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:01 PM

That’s just nonsense.

Check out some comparisons between Mac OSX and Windows based servers. I’ll bet you’ll find a bunch more stable/safer servers running Unix than you will find running Windows.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I have an XP-Gentoo dual-boot setup. If/when XP ever becomes completely unusable, I’ll be a Linux user exclusively. No Windows 7 or any other Windows upgrade for me.

ddrintn on October 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:50 PM

No nonsense about it. You might want to check out how Apples markets the Mac and tell Steve Jobs he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I am sure he’ll be amused.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 4:51 PM

Sure, Mac’s are easier to use in the long run. No doubt that Apple markets that way to appeal to the larger market segment of PC users, but your statement that Mac users are for people who want to do ‘as little as possible’ is bs.

You’re telling me that OSX, which has Unix underneath it, comes with a built-in Apache server, can actually run windows if it wants to are for people that want to do ‘as little as possible?’

That’s laughable.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

It’s painful to read all these Mac owners. You have to feel for somebody who is so proud to have over-payed for an inferior product. Or is it not pride, but resentment towards those of us who can actually operate a PC? Resentment because they paid all that money and still are not cool. Whatever it is, it’s ugly. If the letters OS appear on any site on the internets, you can count on these tools to come flying in spewing their bile. This thread was about updating to Win 7. What reason in the world do Mac users have to be here? It’s an opportunity to annoy. They wouldn’t miss it for the world.

thebriand on October 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Funny, I have a PC as well and can operate it just fine. And no, never overpaid for any of my machines.

But then again, I guess you could say people who own BMW’s overpaid for their machines as well.

If it wasn’t for Apple and the Mac, this thread would be instead about ‘upgrading’ to Windows 95.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:59 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

So you admit you were wrong. Good. Now we are making progress.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

So you admit you were wrong. Good. Now we are making progress.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I did? Simply, wow…

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I did? Simply, wow…

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I can understand you not understanding what I wrote but not understanding what you wrote leaves me speechless.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:04 PM

If any of those machines are a Mac, yes you did.

The Mac as a BMW is laughable. BMW’s have no training wheels.

But it isn’t. It’s about upgrading to Win 7.

thebriand on October 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Actually, I understood what I wrote. I don’t think you even read more than the first sentence of my post.

Here it is again:

Your statement that Mac users are for people who want to do ‘as little as possible’ is bs.

That’s laughable.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

I’m still confused about the Vista dissatisfaction.

I’ve been running it since it came out and absolutely love the OS. Same with friends. It always runs extremely smoothly, the search features are great, I get no errors, it looks great. Are the complaints coming from people with resource-weak computers or what?

Maybe it’s just anti-Microsoft sentiment, I don’t know, but I have yet to run into problems.

cgoode777 on October 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

That’s laughable.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

It’s BS but that’s how they sell them huh? The fact it’s built upon Inix is about as relevant as your BMW analogy.

Wrapping yorself around a product is unhealthy.

Sell crazy some where else. We are all filled up here.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM

What?

How so?

So the fact that the OS is built on Unix doesn’t matter. Maybe not relevant to ‘simple users’, but for other types of users it is a factor.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

BTW, you need to go back and read what I wrote. Take your time and read it carefully. You are so wrapped up in the computer you use you are looking for a reason to be offended.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM

Are you saying that someone who runs Windows on a Mac is a Mac user?

Sounds like to me they are a Windows user.

Someone who runs Windows on a Dell is a Dell user? No they are a Windows user.

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:12 PM

No, not wrapped up in the computer that I use. Like I stated in my previous posts, I do have a PC (matter of fact on the same desk as one of my Mac’s) so it isn’t a matter of being wrapped up in anything.

Just trying to set the record straight. You stated that the Mac OS was for people that want to do as ‘little as possible’ which is complete BS.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

So the fact that the OS is built on Unix doesn’t matter. Maybe not relevant to ’simple users’, but for other types of users it is a factor.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Most people who buy makes do so for their simplicity and reliability. That’s how Mac sells them and that’s why people buy them. If your ego wasn’t so wrapped up in the box you use wouldn’t not read that as being “ALL Mac users” and find a reason to be offended. I’ve used Macs since they first came out. They are a tool, just like any other tool and smart people use whatever tool they find best suited to do a particular job.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

If the Mac can do anything a PC can do then why would anyone run WINDOWS on a Mac? There must be a reason.

Do you have to run Windows on a Mac to make the claim that a Mac can do anything a PC can do? I guess so.

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

I have to agree with you there. But I wasn’t really offended, really…

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

The Mac can do anything a PC can do as long as you turn the Mac into a PC by running Windows. Bwaaaahhh.

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 5:18 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Your ego is so wrapped up in it you can’t admit the truth. If it wasn’t the truth, Apple would not market them that way and people would not buy them for that specific reason. Mac users would not cite their simplicity (ease of use) as their main reason for buying and using them. Somehow, because it does not fit you, you take offense.

Great, how’s this: Macs are for people who want to do a lot to get their PCs running and keep them running.

Now how ludicrous is that?

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:21 PM

Wow. What’s up with all the vitriolic fanboyism? This is just like the AMD vs. Intel and ATI vs. Nvidia threads I’ve seen. (Not to mention AR vs. AK threads.) Even though I’m not a big fan of Macs, (due to the fact that I am only experienced with Windows and don’t really know how to use the Mac’s OS) I am glad Macs are around. Competition is good. I wish there were more companies competing with AMD, Intel, Nvidia, Apple, and Microsoft. That would lead to better, cheaper products…

Can’t we all just get along?

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Doh! Wish I thought of that answer! LOL!

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM

Well, not all software companies build all their software for both platforms for one.

Good to have everything in one machine for some.

As far as the Dell that I have, its fine running XP and I won’t be upgrading that to Windows7 anytime soon.

Likewise, I won’t be upgrading my Mac OSX to Snow Leopard anytime soon either.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:34 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

No it isn’t. The typical end user couldn’t care less, nor will they have any idea. If you are one of those “other types” of users and you need unix-style tools for windows you can get them, and Powershell for windows is amazingly powerful. Windows’ focus isn’t on heavily loading the typical system with dev tools, but if you want them there are far more of them available for Windows than for *nix.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Look, MacOS and Windows are both perfectly fine OS’s, but they are produced by companies with completely different business models. Here’s the bottom line:

MAC: Apple controls every aspect of the product… the machine is 100% proprietary, and thus they only have to support a known set of hardware and make it work correctly. It is therefore very stable in that respect, but inflexible.

PC: Microsoft is philosophically opposed to making hardware (and in many cases legally can’t even try), and has built a business around writing software and licensing it to anyone who wants to put it on their hardware. This means that they have the enormous task of making a product that works with a potentially infinite and unknown set of devices, which means that sometimes hardware can step on each others’ toes or have unstable drivers, but you have a remarkable amount of flexibility with the machine.

Can we turn this into a debate about Obama? YES WE CAN!: Mac is the computer equivalent of ObamaCare (centrally managed, “rationed”, but you get a minimum service guaranteed with little thought or effort). The PC is the computer equivalent of private insurance combined with out-of-pocket expenses and savings accounts.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Hey, a little bit off-topic but here goes:

I’ve been buying this same brand of car for years because it’s cheap and lots and lots of other people have the same brand of car, too, so it must be good. Right?

I always buy the car with the biggest engine. I mean really big. It’s not that I’m necessarily gonna be driving in a NASCAR race any time soon but I know from experience that the car just won’t run right over time unless it has this ungodly ginormous engine. It costs more, sure, but I get to brag about it so, hey, it’s worth it.

Before I drive it home from the dealer, though, I have to do a few things to it. First, I spend about an hour removing a whole bunch of crap that the car maker added. This stuff just junks up the car (makes it go slower and takes up some room in the trunk) but the car maker gets paid by third party “car accessory” companies to put the crap into the car and supposedly that makes the car cheaper for me to buy. But I don’t want that crap so I take it out.

Next (before I leave the dealer’s car lot) I shell out some extra money and spend another hour or two installing some “good” accessories that the car maker didn’t want to put in the car (because then the car wouldn’t be cheap any more). I can pay even more to have the dealer put these in for me but I am a tech savvy “car super user” so I do it myself. These “accessories” are absolutely necessary for me to even drive home because without them my car would certainly crash or get car-jacked. I wouldn’t think of driving my car anywhere without them because it’s dangerous out there for people with my kind of car. Sadly, all of these “accessories” make my car drive slower than it did new but some of them make it go really slow so I usually spend an hour or two reading reviews to determine which ones are “best.” (Plus, now I can make fun of stupid people that put in the “bad” accessories.)

In the morning I go to the garage and turn the car on and then go and make a pot of coffee because the car won’t be ready to drive for anywhere from two to five minutes. I mean, it’s on but the darn thing just won’t go anywhere yet so I do my best to make good use of this “startup” time.

No matter how careful I am about driving and avoiding bad neighborhoods where my brand of car would surely be vandalized it still inexplicably gets damaged. Over time it runs slower and slower and takes longer to start up each morning. One day I found out that if I paid a monthly fee to a service called mycarworks.com they could sort of keep my car running a little less slowly as time went by. To be honest, though, I don’t think those guys are very smart.

Oh, yeah…I also had to keep paying for new versions of the “accessories” that allowed my car to drive safely down the street. But, hey, that’s just part of what being a proud car owner is all about.

I spend a lot of time and money tinkering with my car in order to keep it up and running but I take pride in knowing that I have the knowledge necessary to do so. I am so smart, in fact, that I freely donate countless hours helping my friends that bought similar cars keep their pieces of crap running. I look down condescendingly on anyone that just wants to drive a car from point “A” to point “B” without having to go through the kind of mental gymnastics that I do. Those people are “simple minded” car “drivers” and not real tech savvy “car super users” like me. I laugh at them because they spent another two or three hundred bucks to buy their stupid ass road-ready cars.

But enough about my car. Let’s get back to rappin’ about computers.

trapeze on October 12, 2009 at 6:07 PM

Vista is great, and I never really had any problems with any of its versions…even bought the Ultimate full version and installed it on my own-build. Had bought a lenova and compaq when Vista first came…both for less than a grand combined (huge rebates on both), with included 19″ TFT-LCD monitors. The builder installs came with their own versions of updating and fixing…wiped those versions off and did clean installs. Not one problem after that on any of my machines. Did try win7 beta and I guess it’s probably OK, though not enough for me to move from Vista. At some point, I may get a full Ultimate version and check it out. Ultimate is the way to go…it includes its own full backup and restore software built in…backup and restore to/from dvd, etc. with all settings also saved.

Karmi on October 12, 2009 at 6:11 PM

I have already been running 7 on my main box. I also own a Mac that I am using to type this. Also running in my house are 3 XP desktops, 1 XP laptop, 1 XP media center 2005.
Windows 7 is by far the best thing to come from MS since XP. As soon as I can afford it I will be upgrading all my XP boxes to 7.
Now please excuse me as I go install Win7 Ultimate that I just received an hour ago with my Windows 7 House party kit.

vinceautmorire on October 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I buy a PC. It comes with Windows. I wipe Windows and install Linux. Where am I now in your stats?

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

About 0.05%. Furthermore they are not MY stats. I gave you a link.

You are trying to nullify stats by claiming that because a small number of users wipe Windows and install Linux that somehow a sale for Windows should not be counted.

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

No, I’m pointing out that I would be counted as a Windows user even though I’m using Linux.

I’m not saying the stats are false. I’m saying they’re not a valid picture of actual usage. There are probably somewhere between 2 – 10 times as many Linux users as the given stats would suggest. Since most Linux users buy whatever good deal they can get, usually preloaded with Windows, then wipe Windows and install Linux, it’s not such a small number. Even 2% of millions of people is a substantial number.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 6:13 PM

I would guess that 2 is about as high as could credibly be suggested. I think it is a stretch to suggest that even 50% of *nux users are impersonating an XP or Mac browser.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM

thebriand on October 12, 2009 at 4:56 PM

The last option in the poll was, “I own a Mac.” Not that Mac owners typically require a reason to speak up.

And before you ask, the next-to-last poll option was, “I’ve already switched to Linux.”

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

I’ll stick with XP…for now.

b1jetmech on October 12, 2009 at 6:35 PM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The minimum fair estimate would be about 2%, the max about 10%. IDC has written extensively about how difficult it is to get a really good estimate of Linux users.

It’s much harder to say how many Linux users are impersonating a Windows browser. At one time, the internet was trending sharply to virtually every web page being designed for Internet Explorer. At that point, impersonating IE was probably very popular.

Fortunately, the popularity of Firefox reversed that trend. And the growth of the Mac platform accelerated the trend. Now, there’s generally little need to impersonate another browser.

However, I can tell you that every time I go to fancast.com, it always puts up a web page warning me that I should be running Firefox or Internet Explorer on Windows. Of course, I click the “Continue” button and have no more problems. Some other web sites used to just send you to an error page with no options. In such a case, you might want to spoof your user agent.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Amazing to see cons talk about OS as if they know what they are talking about.

I guess some of them aren’t as backwards as i thought.

Afrolib on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Stupid! Sort of like being amazed to find out black people can swim.

You got any opinions on the techy stuff? Or are you just out of your element on this thread?

Gang-of-One on October 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM

Hmm I had none of those issues with Vista x64 Ultimate. Other than no driver support for an old web cam I got from the Goodwill. Still works fine.

ronsfi on October 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Sticking with Win XP. Upgraded my PC with a barebones system in May. I don’t plan on any upgrading Windows any time soon.

vilebody on October 12, 2009 at 7:07 PM

ronsfi on October 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM

And that is a problem with the manufacturer of the webcam, not with Vista.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM

For all the “I’m sticking with XP” people, there’s this: Windows XP Mode.

Yes, you need a processor that will support it. The nice thing I like is that your applications installed on the XP virtual machine appear in your Win7 start menu and are seamless. It comes with Business, Enterprise, and Ultimate editions. Yes its just like VMware Fusion on the Mac but you don’t have to purchase another copy of Windows XP.

I plan on using this extensivley on some applications in my organization. So far in testing this on my work PC, it seems to work quite well. I’m probably going to need it considering that companies that make bank software tend to drag their feet.

Perhaps something to think about when making your next PC purchase or whatever.

Lay-Z on October 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Not having read through all the comments, I will say this–Windows 7 is what Vista should have been. I’ve been running the RC (and before that the Beta) on my wife’s computer and we both like it.

Okay. Microsoft isn’t the greatest company in the world, and Apple makes good stuff….but then Apple is kinda pricey, no? And Linux may be free, but support isn’t. I consider myself well-enough versed in computers and Unix to be able to handle Linux, but most people aren’t even close. Windows 7 is going to be (and imo already is) a decent OS.

Andy in Colorado on October 12, 2009 at 7:53 PM

TheUnrepentantGeek on October 12, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Run Aion under Vista Home Premium, and works fine for me. Marchurtan server.

coyoterex on October 12, 2009 at 8:05 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 5:11 PM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Amen, DaveS

I would also like to point out re: UNIX server market share, UNIX servers are license fee free whereas Windows Servers are not.
That’s why the $4.95/month webhosting companies offer UNIX only at that rate. (plus they are more simplified for new users-which again is a good thing if you are just making a personal, low bandwidth website with few bells and whistles)

MannyT-vA on October 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Where is the “I have already switched to Windows 7″ option???

Bimmer on October 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Exactly. The Windows 7 eval I have is teh awesome. Snappy and looks gorgeous. Of course my deal with the devil states that I would have no IT issues for life. Heh.

ronsfi on October 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

Other than upgrading to Win98 quickly and just as relieved when 98SE came out. I clung to 98SE until XP came out, and only then moved to 2000. I didn’t move to XP until SP3 came out.

I’ll kling on to XP until the Redshirts quit dying on Win7.

Win Millenium & Vista are twins of two different mothers…

AH_C on October 12, 2009 at 8:15 PM

Had to buy a new PC for my mother w/ Windows Vista about 2 years ago. What a nightmare. I had planned to buy a new pc for myself but after seeing how awful it was, I’ve kept my computer with XP all this time. Now when the RC came out for Win7, I replaced some parts on my mom’s old HP and loaded it up. It does seem to work nice. Definitely a whole lot nicer than Vista, but I’m still not liking it the way I like XP. But it hasn’t given me any problems even on this really old machine I put together. I don’t know. Guess when I really have to get a new one, I will probably get it. But I keep waiting to HATE my old machine enough…and I don’t think that day is coming.

Cheesestick on October 12, 2009 at 8:19 PM

Where is the “I have already switched to Windows 7″ option???

Bimmer on October 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

That’s what I wondered too. Installed Win 7 on a brand-new home-built desktop back when the 7100 was released… works great!

stevieray on October 12, 2009 at 8:31 PM

Where is the “I have already switched to Windows 7″ option???

Bimmer on October 12, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I am an IT Professional (LOL) and I absolutely LOVE Windows 7!!! Luckily for me, I am a TechNet subscriber and the “Final” release version is already available!

I am running Win 7 64-Bit on all my machines, and I couldn’t be happier!

Bimmer on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I am running XP Pro, and I did a Win 7 compatibility test, it said my sound card and modem card were not supported. Therefore I am not likely to upgrade unless I also upgrade to new hardware too, which is not soon.

I only use the modem for faxes which are rare, but still use them on occasion.

Dasher on October 12, 2009 at 9:34 PM

thphilli on October 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

As another poster pointed out the operating system manufacturer doesn’t write drivers. XP will find some drivers too, but almost all of them have to come from the manufacturer of the peripheral.

NVidia for example. There just isn’t any compelling reason to go through the hassle or spend the money.

dogsoldier on October 12, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Lay-Z on October 12, 2009 at 7:46 PM

Linux has an XP emulator too.

dogsoldier on October 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM

I am running Win 7 64-Bit on all my machines, and I couldn’t be happier!

Bimmer on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I looked into getting a Technet subscription, but, in a rare moment of fiscal sanity, realized I couldn’t really justify it. I got one of those half-price for beta testers deals they had a few months ago, but I have to wait ’til the 22nd… only ten more days!

stevieray on October 12, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I’ve got 64bit RTM on all my desktops, no problems. I’ve got it on my Macbook Pro and it runs faster than Snow Leopard.
I actually likes its extensions to Group Policy.
I can’t wait to move my organization over to it. Probably next summer if all goes well.

Iblis on October 12, 2009 at 10:33 PM

I’ve been on Windows 7 final for a few weeks now. I had played with beta and release candidate versions as well. I’ve been very impressed.

ryanj on October 12, 2009 at 10:39 PM

I only use the modem for faxes which are rare, but still use them on occasion.

Dasher on October 12, 2009 at 9:34 PM

Unless you are on an ancient machine (which you may very well be if you are faxing things with a modem), you might check with the manufacturer of the sound card and modem. There is a chance that there is a driver forthcoming, or that they didn’t go through the certification process but have a driver.

Also, if you have to send a fax on rare occasions, you can use any number of online fax services, some of which are free.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 10:58 PM

Linux has an XP emulator too.

dogsoldier on October 12, 2009 at 10:10 PM

For one, WINE is not an emulator, its actually a collection of runtime libraries that allow Windows apps to run on Linux. There’s no emulation because all apps run x86 code.

Being that WINE doesn’t exactly run everything efficently (or in some cases not at all), it is not something I would trust in a production environment. You also run into the support of an application. If the vendor doesn’t want you running their app on WINE, you’re not getting support. Downtime because I want to be a Linux fanboy is not an option.

Two, XP Mode is a vitual machine and not an emulator, big difference. This is running an installation of Windows XP as if it were on its own hardware. The VM doesn’t even know the difference.

Lastly, you don’t need to buy a seperate XP license with XP mode. To run XP on top of Linux or Mac in a VM, you need to purchase a seperate XP license. It gives someone value if they want to upgrade to Windows 7 but also would like to run some of those stubborn apps that may not run on newer versions of Windows.

Lay-Z on October 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM

I’ve been using Windows 7 since the first Beta release and it is a great system. All the drivers work in both 32 bit and 64 bit. I have it on two dawgs and a new I7, X58 MOBO, 12Gig DDR3 Corsair RAM, 1T and two 250Gig SSD hard drives waiting for 64bit Pro Oct 22. Windows 7 is everything XP is not and smokes Macs! IMHO!

Bandit5906 on October 12, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Is there any people here who like the Macs? I have vista and it won’t run my weather station. I have to use a router and a old XP to make the weather station work. I swear I will buy a Mac next time but not sure on getting the desktop or the laptop. I don’t do any office work and pretty much just do the music downloading and surfing. Any suggestions would be helpful.

garydt on October 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Already switch. Had Vista – it sucked. Switched to 7U (Ultimate). Haven’t had a problem – not one.

And the XP mode is excellent for those older apps.

CrazyFool on October 12, 2009 at 11:45 PM

I begged Dell to give me XP and even offered to pay more for it. Laptop almost thrown out the window twice, daily.

margategop517 on October 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Already switched my laptop over a month ago, built a new home computer (quad 4) 2 weeks ago, x64, both running smooth, no issues. Also have windows xp mode running, 2 apps that won’t work with 7 work fine in xp mode inside windows 7

naap51stang on October 13, 2009 at 12:04 AM

margategop517 on October 12, 2009 at 11:49 PM

What do you want to do with your laptop? What are the applications most important to you?

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM

Lay-Z on October 12, 2009 at 11:26 PM

Unless, like me, you put Linux on the box and then virtualize the XP license attached to the side…[which Microsoft's new licensing rules allow, even in the case of VMWare cloud environments...]

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

Afrolib on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

That would be funny if you still weren’t using Microsoft Bob

jdkchem on October 13, 2009 at 12:32 AM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 5:44 PM

You’re joking right? The alternative is that you not what you speak of.

jdkchem on October 13, 2009 at 12:35 AM

Oh and for all those giving it the usual “Open Office can do anything Office can,” well they’ve yet to come out with an open source organizer program to top Outlook. I organize my whole business with it and don’t know what I’d do without it. I simply haven’t found anything as good to deal with my employee schedules. You can ditch Word, Excel and the rest of them, but Outlook makes Microsoft Office worthwhile. Oh and One Note is pretty damn good too….use it all the time. I’ve yet to find a better programming IDE than Visual C++ too…and I use the free Express version. Microsoft isn’t half as lousy as people say it is.

Sharke on October 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Why would anyone try and out-turd a turd?

jdkchem on October 13, 2009 at 12:45 AM

I read that those of us with Windows XP have to wipe our hard drive clean and reformat it.

I going to look long and hard at the free version of Linux.

slp on October 13, 2009 at 1:05 AM

Is there someone here that can explain the virtues of the 32 bit versus 64 bit versions of this Windows 7? Is there a reason to run one way over the other? If so, why?

I will probably upgrade to 7, but I want to make an informed decision and make sure it do it right. I got my dell lattitude this past april and paid extra for XP to be installed from the factory.

karenhasfreedom on October 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

Windows 7 is finally very stable and is not a memory hog

Vista should be wiped for good.

I normally wait one – two years for a new operating system to get the bugs out before using it on a pc, but win 7 is very very good at this point and on a 32 bit system two gigs of ram is very good.

64 bit is for 4 gigs or more of ram. windows only sees max. 3 gigs on 32 bit system)

I been testing win 7 for several months now and the one coming out on the 22nd is very good.

If people want to install windows 7 do a back up of all your data from your old computer system and always do a clean install. A clean install will always work smoothly without the left over junk from the old system.

Good Luck and the Ultimate windows 7 will enable you to use windows xp programs on a vitual machine in windows 7 in 2d graphics but without 3d video.

If you like windows xp, keep it on your system and partition your hard drive and duel boot xp and windows 7 and that is the best of both worlds.
It is easy to do as long as you have win xp installed and install win 7 on your new partition. easy to do and very nice

Good Luck, and I don’t post much here , but visit hot air several times a day, great site

investwize999 on October 13, 2009 at 5:47 AM

Amazing to see cons talk about OS as if they know what they are talking about.

I guess some of them aren’t as backwards as i thought.

Afrolib on October 12, 2009 at 3:43 PM

Oh come on now. Who accuses who of prejudice?(That’s a rhetorical question in case you couldn’t figure it out.)

scrubbiedude on October 13, 2009 at 5:54 AM