Poll: When will you switch to Windows 7?

posted at 8:47 am on October 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we’ve had a thread on operating systems, and what better time to have one than on the day that Amazon begins pushing pre-orders for the latest version of Microsoft Windows? They’re pushing hard, as they usually do, to get people committed to buying the new release sight unseen:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has recently shown an interest in software or computers at Amazon.com, you might be interested to know that you can get Microsoft Windows 7 delivered to your home the day it comes out, October 22. Simply select Release-Date Delivery at checkout–click here for full details.

To learn more about the exciting features of Microsoft’s newest operating system, be sure to visit our Windows 7 Resource Center and catch up on the latest buzz in our exclusive Windows 7 blog.

It comes in three flavors: Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Prices range from $119 to $299 depending on the upgrade version, but experienced users already know that the real cost comes after the purchase. When software upgrades lock up, existing peripherals no longer get supported, and data gets lost, that’s when users pay through the nose.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are few experiences I enjoy more than an operating system upgrade, perhaps only eclipsed by a Barack Obama speech on prime time, or a slow root canal with not quite enough Novocaine to cover the job. But the thrill of that adventure need not happen immediately; one can wait for the early-adopter crowd to leap forward into the darkness first, and leave enough breadcrumbs for the rest of us to try later.

Think of it in terms of Indiana Jones films, at least before that refrigerator scene. How many times did Indy walk through traps with skeletons already scattered all over the place? Indy may have been adventurous, but I don’t think he would have been an early adopter on operating systems, I tell you. Or, for that matter, let’s not forget that Captain Kirk would send a couple of redshirts to die before figuring out that the latest planet was indeed dangerous.

The wild card in this is Windows Vista. This is an operating system so unpopular that Microsoft had to fake people into thinking it was a new operating system in order to get people to say nice things about it for their commercials (remember “Mojave”?). Windows XP users petitioned Microsoft to keep them from killing XP support and won another year of life, thanks to widespread consumer dissatisfaction. Vista could be driving a big push to get the new 7 in its various forms, which may be why the upgrades are ranked third, 29th, and 12th in Amazon software sales at the moment, respectively.

Are you one of those champing at the bit to either take the Windows 7 adventure or to get as far away from Vista, and as fast as possible? Or are you willing to sacrifice your fellow computer users first, like redshirts on Star Trek? Take the poll and join the comments:

Update: Windows XP will be supported through 2014, apparently. And who are those 10% who want to stick with Vista?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

I’ve been using the Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 year trial that MS has out and it’s night and day over Vista on performance. It also runs my machine about 10 degrees cooler. Already pre-ordered copies for my two machines.

Tuari on October 12, 2009 at 12:42 PM

There is no Mac version of ACCESS. If you need Access, you’re committed to Windows.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Again, right but wrong. If your CPU supports VT/PAE (as nearly all modern Intel and AMD cpus do, you can run Windows under MacOS using the $100 Parallels product. Parallels provides the necessary device drivers to totally virtualize your Windows OS, and even provides a tool to migrate your Windows OS from its hardware home to its new MacOS home without requiring you to re-Activate (the tool works by recording for virtualization the CPUID, disk id, etc used by Windows Activation/Windows Genuine Advantage).

Yes, but Access is still running under Windows, even if there’s a Mac underneath. Microsoft Office for the Mac does not include Access, or anything that can substitute for Access. There is no Access that runs natively in Mac OS.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 12:44 PM

I will switch when I get a new computer on which it comes installed, but not until then and given the way Obama is trying to tank the economy and the rising price of everything, I will keep nursing the old one along as long as I can.

Govgirl on October 12, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Once you go Mac, you never go back! They’re not just for liberal college students anymore.

gopmom on October 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Mac’s suck, give me a Peterbilt and I’m a happy camper.

Look out Subaru’s, here I come!

Old Hippie Vet on October 12, 2009 at 12:46 PM

I think Darwin (modified BSD) is still open-source. What is proprietary is the windowing system, which was never publicly available.

gh on October 12, 2009 at 12:35 PM

So you’re saying that Cocoa and objective C are not proprietary, as opposed to C and C++?

Think about it…….

leetpriest on October 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I am running Win 7 for a few months now on a dual core 2 gig ram system, upgraded from XP SP3.

Haven’t enjoyed a snappier, non intrusive OS in a while. Stable too. Usually the first bit is nightmare and you pray for the SP1.. But Windows 7 feels very mature. Any driver issues can fall back to Vista drivers, for which there are now many.

saus on October 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM

I’m sticking with xp for now… but I have tested the Windows 7 beta and it was probably as stable as XP.

I just hope compatibility issues don’t become a problem in the future… but they almost always do however.

Chaz706 on October 12, 2009 at 12:51 PM

I’ve been running Win7 since the early beta stages and have pretty much seen the end stage development happen in real time.

Conclusion?

Windows 7 rocks.

It’s everything that Vista was supposed to be – and a lot more. It’s snappy as hell, intuitive, and nice too look at to boot. Microsoft also took a few cues from OSX and introduced some neat GUI features into Aero.

I’ll definitely be getting it when it releases.

You-Eh-Vee on October 12, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Think about it…….

leetpriest on October 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Cocoa is part of the windowing system, isn’t it ?

Objective C is not proprietary. It was supported by GCC back in the 1980s. Apple may sell a proprietary version.

gh on October 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Somewhat OT: Microsoft in the news.

Shy Guy on October 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Totally agree.

You-Eh-Vee on October 12, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Sticking with XP Pro SP3.

Too many games that run just fine.

cabbageheat on October 12, 2009 at 12:55 PM

I’ve been running Win7 for like a year and a half. Even the test builds are all far superior to Vista. Win 7 is the best Windows yet. Bitter XP clingers should start thinking about getting current. XP is a 10 year old operating system and will soon be obsoleted.

TonyR on October 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

Vista doesn’t really bother me.

What does bother me, however, is Apple’s “we’re better than you” attitude. Even though they make a good product, Apple currently has 13% of the operating system market share while Microsoft has roughly 80% – and if Mac doesn’t ever get over themselves, it’ll stay that way.

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

After years of fighting with XP & Vista, I switched to a Mac earlier this year. Couldn’t be more happy. My next upgrade is going to be to Snow Leopard.

thewhippingpost on October 12, 2009 at 1:01 PM

Wow. I’ve had Vista on a Dell XPS desktop system for 2 years and it has been awesome. No problems and the computer is very fast. I guess I’m too ignorant to know what I’m missing with Windows 7? I’ll upgrade when I buy a new computer which won’t be for at least 2 or 3 years. Hopefully, I’ll survive. :o)

KickandSwimMom on October 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM

To correct a couple of other misinformation bits upstream…

Bus width isn’t really tied to the 32-bit or 64-bit instruction set. It’s a function of the processor and memory controller. Could be 48-bit, could be less, could be mmore. More is better, obviously. It’s usually not a number tthat’s easy to find, though.

Where 64-bit hits is processor cache utilization. 64-bit addresses are twice as wide as 32-bit addresses. Cache indexes information by address, so it can’t store as much data in the cache. 64-bit performance improves greatly with large processor cache.

Reducing boot time and memory load were critical checkpoints on Win 7 for Microsoft. Any machine that runs Vista will run better with Win 7. Any machine that runs XP will run at about the same speed with Win 7. (Although XP-era machines may not support all the Win 7 eye-candy.)

So, yeah, single-core machines run fine. Dual cores are fine, too. But with a quad or bigger, Win 7 will fly. One of the “under the covers” optimizations was to improve performance on multicore systems, especially with hyperthreading. I have Win 7 running on an Intel Core i7 (quad with hyperthreads, almost equivalent to 8-core) and it is amazingly responsive.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 1:02 PM

I’ll never own a Mac. No thanks.
Linux, Unix, whatever, no thanks again. Tried that a couple years ago and never looked back.

If I upgrade to Windows 7, which is a big maybe, I’ll wait till the first service pack to come out. No doubt this version of Windows will be just like all the others, full of glitches and security holes the size of the Grand Canyon. They’ll have the worst of the pimple head exploits ironed out in the service pack if history repeats, but there will still be many more sitting stealthily in the background waiting for scumbags to use the point where they make national news before they’re closed.

It’s ok, I’ll wait. I’m not so happy with Vista, but it’s better than losing the whole thing all over again to a new system riddled with security holes.

Spiritk9 on October 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I bought a new laptop in July so I am supposed to be notified in and around the 22nd that I can get W7. I’m looking forward to it. Vista bloatware is tiresome.

flyboy777 on October 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

I got the upgrade for $49 when it was first offered, so I will be upgrading.

If not, I would have stuck with vista and just waited or a new computer

LordDaMan on October 12, 2009 at 1:06 PM

How do you know whether an OS is “nice” or not when all you ever do is surf Amazon, save photos from birthday parties, and post a comment on HotAir once or twice a month? It all works, so what’s the beef? Or are we just looking for more stuff to kvetch about?

jay12 on October 12, 2009 at 1:06 PM

What, no option for “I already switched to Windows 7.”?

Enoxo on October 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

If you own a PC that has an OS on it now, why would you break it by putting another OS on it? When it is time for you to buy a new PC you will get the OS with it. I have been a Microsoft network support engineer since 1991, I tell this to everyone, if you want to upgrade then buy a new PC. Don’t lobotimize your current system, you will not be satisfied with the result.

paulsur on October 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Got a great deal on a Dell refurbed latitude laptop. Part of the great deal includes getting a free Win 7 upgrade when it comes out. Looking forward to trying it out before upgrading the other home systems.

ray on October 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

paulsur on October 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Just do a dual boot up option, and if the new install goes bad it doesn’t affect your current install.

ray on October 12, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I’ve been running the win7 RTM for a couple if months. Best windows ever, and easily better than the latest osx.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I do not understand why we continue to pay good money for software that does not work. If an OS is doing its job, I should not even know it’s there. Windows has always failed this test.

I swear to Rudy, in 1983 I could produce offset-quality double-justified print on any size paper with a NorthStar Advantage (4 MHz Z80) running WordStar under CP/M, and a NEC 7700 with proportional thimble. The files were not hundreds of K, I did not spend any more time then than I do now waiting for the disk(s) to thrash around, and, I never once deleted a carriage return and had 5 ‘graphs revert to the small caps version of a font we used three years ago. We have ‘improved’ computing until it is a disaster.

I get it that everyone who ‘needs’ a computer already had one by about 1998, so now they have to be glitzy and fun so my mom will buy one. But glitz and fun cost me money. Bring back the business computer.

wkgdyw on October 12, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I am a gamer, and I will not be switching from XP to 7 unless DirectX 11 (which comes with 7) proves to be equal to the hype surrounding it. Microsoft and Nvidia tried the same hype with Vista and DirectX 10, (you could not get DX10 with XP, it only came with Vista) and within days of Crysis being released (one of the games that DX10 was supposed to make huge graphical improvements to) the gamer brainiacs on the ‘net had a worked out some simple graphics tweaks that made the XP DX9 version look almost exactly as good as the Vista DX10 version. In addition to that,the XP DX9 version ran smoother and faster than the resource-hogging Vista DX10. XP is still doing everything I want it to do, so I will wait and see just how good of a gaming OS Windows 7 turns out to be…

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Ed opened a can of worms with this type of thread. Unless it is specifically stated before hand that there will be NO Mac vs Windows arguments, they always happen.

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:00 PM

Apple doesn’t want that kind of market share. They sell to a particular market and do so very well. Apple Market Share Up

Spiritk9 on October 12, 2009 at 1:03 PM

You try again with the new Ubuntu coming out in a couple of weeks. It is a Linux distro designed for those who are not tech savvy such as myself. I run it on a computer at home along with my Windows 7 machine.

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

That came out wrong. I use Ubuntu because I like it and it was my first Linux experience and have been a fan for 3+ years now. I happen to be tech savvy and haven’t ever found a common use problem with Ubuntu that required any trouble shooting.

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 1:19 PM

***
I have never seen an upgrade on an OS deliver much better performance. Almost always the new OS requires 50 percent more memory to run well–and crowds out space needed for other applications to be in memory. A lot of programs just run much slower due to the “thrashing around” page in / page out operations needed with the bigger OS and a too small memory.
***
The only way to upgrade is to buy a new computer that comes with the new O.S. on it already–a year after the initial OS release. And then buy the biggest real memory you can get with the computer. Any other approach has been nothing buy headaches to me.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 12, 2009 at 1:23 PM

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I’m not sure I agree. If Apple was happy with their market share, then why are they running ads day and night telling people to switch from overweight, nerdy eyeglasses Windows to ultra-cool Justin Long Mac?

As I stated before, Apple does make a fine product. But in certain marketing studies, results have come back showing that Apple’s “we’re better than you attitude” may be driving off more people that it attracts

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

***
***
The only way to upgrade is to buy a new computer that comes with the new O.S. on it already–a year after the initial OS release. And then buy the biggest real memory you can get with the computer. Any other approach has been nothing but headaches to me.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I switched to windows 7 like a month ago
Best OS ever.
I recommend everyone use it.

dft2000 on October 12, 2009 at 1:25 PM

Not really a fair question. I own a MAC and in addition to OS X 10.6 I am running Windows Vista. I will upgrade to Windows 7 when I am forced to by the same circumstances that forced me to install Vista.

Stephen Macklin on October 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

I think your wrong. Mac market share has been growing steadily for the past two years in a crap economy.

I just bought a macbook pro, my first macintosh i’ve owned. The OS is pretty nice but the machine as a whole is effin awesome. solid aluminum case, slim and very fast. I know you can get the same specs with a Windows machine for hundreds less, but the combination of sexy hardware and great os sold me, and I don’t regret it.

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Ummm, I believe 95% of all marketing messages are ‘We are better than the other guy’. Just an observation.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM

As soon as I am ready for whole new batch of security holes.

johnnyU on October 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I haven’t had a single problem with the system at all. Now, I take good care of my computers with anti-virus, spyware and the like.

But I have to say that I’ve had it now for 6 months and it’s been nothing but great. I honestly haven’t experienced anything negative like many other people have.

Russ

russcote on October 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM

You’re missing another option. If and when I need to upgrade my computer, either due to interoperability or obsolescence, I may just upgrade to Win7.

A friend has a BETA version, and I watched all the videos about it. I. Am. Impressed.

Mazztek on October 12, 2009 at 1:33 PM

XP is a 10 year old operating system and will soon be obsoleted.

TonyR on October 12, 2009 at 12:58 PM

So why didn’t Ed give a vote category for us geezers still running Win 2000? I have had problems over the years but mainly with web browsers that speak a different way than my OS wants.

Oh yeah, Word 97 in rtf format ROCKS! Everybody can open it no matter what system they have, and it does not give me grief with a million “suggestions/auto choices” at gun point. Nobody writes macro viruses for it any more, either.

platypus on October 12, 2009 at 1:36 PM

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 1:26 PM

Yes, you’re absolutely right about Mac growing steadily. But the numbers I posted above are correct. Mac’s OS market share doesn’t even come close to Microsoft’s. Read my posts – I’m not one of these “Windows is better than Mac” or vise-versa kind of people. It’s like arguing which is better, cats or dogs? There are pros and cons to both. All I’m saying is that studies have been done showing that the nerd vs. Justin Long ads have alienated some of the fence-sitters by suggesting that you are a fat, overweight nerd if you use Windows.

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:37 PM

I’ve played with Windows 7 — IMHO, it’s like Vista in a girdle. There’s a lot of fluff that doesn’t really make any difference to my average tasks and there’s minor ot major hassles in getting drivers and programs to work.

For example, during a gamer box upgrade, I installed W7 from a new DVD/BlueRay driver. After installation, W7 refused to recognize the driver of the drive used to install it. AND it also didn’t recognize the network hardware so it couldn’t access the internet to look around for updates and download drivers. Like anyone needs this sort of hassles. I reloaded XP and got back to whatever… Who needs these hassles?

IMHO, if Microsoft were truly serious about growing a larger and more dominate role in software (instead of playing ‘prevent defense’, they’d be offering W7 upgrades for about $25 ($35 for pro) and they’d not be creating unnecessary hassles with driver changes (an XP driver should work with w7). It’s my understanding this is about what they get from OEMs for w7. Whatever $ they squeeze out of the hardware market to be an ‘w7 approved driver’ are minimal wins compared to the hassles and loss of reliability they purposefully create by all these unneeded driver updates.

With an aggressive pricing, they’d quickly get about 95% of anyone with a computer capable of running W7 to switch. They’d be able to cut down tons on software support for older systems. They’d strike a big blow against the growth of the Linux market. They’d get everyone on the “same page” for future development and offerings.

IMHO, it’s all good stuff for Linux, which is getting closer and closer to Windows in function. If only Linux offered a good gamer platform…

droofus on October 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM

That’s not exactly what I said…

I didn’t say that Mac’s ads were a “we’re better than the other guy” appraoch. It’s that they’re more of a “we’re better than YOU” approach, which is arguably more of an attack on the consumer for NOT buying their product than it is about attacking their competitor.

Eschelon on October 12, 2009 at 1:42 PM

I’m running Linux on my desktop but will upgrade my lappy in a few months.

mantis on October 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM

@ dogsoldier on October 12, 2009 at 11:26 AM

Dude, you are beyond clueless. Windows 7 runs flawlessly on NETBOOKS, which have a ridiculously slow processor. You do not need a quad core to run windows 7. I have been running Windows 7 on 4 computers in my house for over a year, systems which range from a 1 Ghz AMD Sempron laptop to a 3 Ghz Quad core desktop. They all run flawlessly. And you know nothing about windows 7 if you are complaining about drivers. Windows 7 automatically finds the drivers for EVERYTHING. No need to find motherboard drivers, sound card drivers, video card drivers, anything. It integrates all of that into windows update flawlessly.

thphilli on October 12, 2009 at 1:47 PM

I upgraded to Win7 64 bit Ultimate a month or two ago from msdn. I like it and see promise, but I wouldnt pay for any operating system.

Static on October 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I was selected to host a Windows 7 release party, so I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.
I got it Thursday and installed it that night. As an upgrade from Vista Ultimate, I love it. It looks neater, feels much more responsive, and has played well with all of my apps and hardware.
The taskbar is great. It has several new features that are actually useful, like peek and jump lists.
The search function indexes network computers. If that was the case in Vista, I was not aware of it.
DX11 is new, but I haven’t really had a chance put it to use.
I’m a sucker for a new OS, but I really like this one. I’d recommend it to anyone thinking about the upgrade.
Speaking of upgrade, a clean install took about 20 minutes. I read an upgrade can take 20 hours.

thebriand on October 12, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I’ve been finding that both DX9 and DX10 apps are running quite well on Windows 7. There arent any DX11 apps to speak of, so I cant say there.
Benchmarks on Windows 7 have proved to me to on par with those done on XP. I have both installed.

CableDude on October 12, 2009 at 1:49 PM

gopmom on October 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Ditto! I have to laugh, as my first reaction to this was the same as yours. However, we have had Mac in our office since the mid-nineties and so are not newbie Mac fans, but it is nice that more software is finally being written that includes Mac as well as PC.

Those of us who started using personal computers when all we had was DOS love Windows, but those of us who have used Mac and Windows know that Windows is just an attempt to make the PC easy, like the Mac. It has made the PC tolerable, but not particularly user friendly.

Our home computer has Virtual PC because we have a need for access to software whose programmers just refuse to be flexible.

Susanboo on October 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM

@ droofus on October 12, 2009 at 1:39 PM

No windows operating system needs drivers to recognize a DVD drive. If Windows 7 doesn’t recognize your network card, either will Windows XP. I would bet every piece of electronics in my house that you are using a recovery cd made by the manufacturer of your computer, which HAS the drivers on it.

And windows 7 isn’t more functional than XP, really? You must have really used it for all of 2 minutes to come away with that conclusion.

thphilli on October 12, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I found it telling when microbloat dis-ed their own product by suggesting we don’t upgrade to vista and wait for 7 instead.

I’m forced to use a pc at work. I’ll stick with my Mac at home.

Mangy Scot on October 12, 2009 at 1:53 PM

I hate Vista with a passion! I’ve always been a Microsoft user and my software is all Microsoft. My XP crashed and I got a new computer with an installable media drive and Vista OS. Boy! Was I glad I paid the extra couple $100.00 for the media drive. I cannot count the times Vista crashed when I was using it. The media drive was the only thing that saved me. Half my software was trash and I had to buy new stuff. I hate to say it but the investment ONLY two years ago in a Vista OS computer and software was SO HIGH that I cannot afford to revert back to XP or get something else. The Vista experience has so soured me on MicroSoft and my iPhone is the BEST piece of technology I have EVER purchased that the next time I invest in a new computer I will be visiting the brand NEW Apple Store that opened up in the local mall. Screw MS. It’s not worth the headache and I don’t care who goes before me.

So, yes. I am one of the 10% who answered I stick with Vista. One, because I really have no choice. Two, because I’ve gotten used to the crash and upload saved data from the media drive it’s problems don’t bother me anymore. Well, not as much….

Sultry Beauty on October 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

How do you know 7 is worth it?

Is there anybody here who is running 7 that doesn’t love the crap out of it?

McGurk on October 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

And who are those 10% who want to stick with Vista?

Collie and I will be sticking with Vista SP2 for a while — and amusing ourselves with the upgrade horror stories until something like Windows 7 SP2 arrives because…

My collie says:

No amount of mondo cool is worth compatibility hassles.

CyberCipher on October 12, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Now that i have a mac windows is a distant memory.

I still remember Windows; it is what I through my PC out of after I bought my Mac!

Proud MacBook Owner! No CTL-ALT-DEL for me!

IntheNet on October 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM

IMMEDIATELY… I just bought a new Dell with Vista and HATE it with two exceptions. It has voice control software. So I want to keep that, but can’t imagine having any more trouble with 7 than with Vista. And since I’m just learning, I may as well learn 7 rather than Vista. My computer came with a 7 upgrade guarantee so I’m there!

Joy on October 12, 2009 at 2:10 PM

Sultry Beauty on October 12, 2009 at 1:54 PM

If Vista is crashing that much, it is NOT a Vista problem. Either you have defective hardware or the hardware has bad drivers.

You can blame whomever you want, but it’s not Vista that’s the problem here.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Thanks to a software alliance Microsoft has with Rochester Institute for Technology I have free access to loads of programs, including 7. I already have the business version of 7 on my laptop and it runs EXTREMELY well. I highly recommend it to anyone

angelwing34215 on October 12, 2009 at 2:16 PM

All you Mac haters must not be doing any graphics on your computers. Mac is the best for any type of graphic generation, from Architectural to Advertising to Photo. Using Windows to generate graphics is very cumbersome. This is not my opinion, it is fact.

Susanboo on October 12, 2009 at 2:17 PM

How do you know 7 is worth it?

Is there anybody here who is running 7 that doesn’t love the crap out of it?

McGurk on October 12, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I run it at home and think that it’s great.
To be fair, I did install it on a machine at work that had all the minimum requrrements. There was no driver for the Intel video and it reverted to a VESA driver. I thought that it was way too slow to be usable. With a decent driver,I’m sure it would be fine.

CableDude on October 12, 2009 at 2:21 PM

@Eschelon, haha totally agree. Image is everything to some. I could care less.

Windows 7 automatically finds the drivers for EVERYTHING.

No it doesn’t. New products will still need to supply new drivers, unless they’re included in the install disk or a windows update. My usb wireless didn’t work out of the box work in Windows 7. I had to download the drivers from the website.

Windows 7 is nice, but if you’ve ever used Ubuntu with Compiz/Beryl, you can’t help but wonder if this is as innovative as MS can get after 7 years and billions of dollars. W7 is essentially a service pack on mild steroids.

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

I use a Macbook Pro for daily work and mobile use. At home I have a Dell Vista laptop and two XP (downgraded from Vista) desktops.

Love the Mac. Vista blows. I’m in “the business” and have access to a lot of technical opinions. Generally, most of the engineers I hang with range from disliking Microsoft products to hating Microsoft products.

Out of this pool of engineers I haven’t been able to find one that doesn’t think that Windows 7 is at least a good OS. Some have admitted that it is a surprisingly robust OS.

I never leaded the beta but will load a full version on one of my desktops. If it is as good as I am hearing I will roll it out to my other two Windows machines.

watson007 on October 12, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Using Windows to generate graphics is very cumbersome.

Funny, I run the full Adobe Suite, Maya, ZBrush all in Windows and Mac. No difference for me as it’s all the same software. What does Windows/Mac have to do with it?

Chest_Rockwell on October 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM

Started using Linux about, oh, six years ago. Largely – and I say that for want of decent 3D MMO’s – haven’t looked back.

Running Fedora 11 x64 now.

Ryan Gandy on October 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Just one more comment I’ve got to make after reading these posts:

PC users are to Mac users as Democrats are to Republicans. They are so sure they are right, and are not willing to look at the other side, so all they can do is put Macintosh down.

Enough said!

Susanboo on October 12, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Windows 92.77%
Mac 5.12%
Linux 0.95%
iPhone 0.35%
Java ME 0.30%

Operating Systems Market Share for September, 2009

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM

You can blame whomever you want, but it’s not Vista that’s the problem here.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 2:15 PM

Yea, as a huge techie, I can say Vista got a bad rap. It wasn’t great the first few months, but that really wasn’t Vista’s fault. It was the poor driver support. Yes, it ate more cycles than it should have, but it wasn’t that bad.

Tim Burton on October 12, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I’m running Windows 7 and I love it. This has been the snappiest, smoothest running PC I’ve ever had. There’s obviously a lot of thought gone into it and it’s without doubt the best Windows OS to date.

Oh and for all those giving it the usual “Open Office can do anything Office can,” well they’ve yet to come out with an open source organizer program to top Outlook. I organize my whole business with it and don’t know what I’d do without it. I simply haven’t found anything as good to deal with my employee schedules. You can ditch Word, Excel and the rest of them, but Outlook makes Microsoft Office worthwhile. Oh and One Note is pretty damn good too….use it all the time. I’ve yet to find a better programming IDE than Visual C++ too…and I use the free Express version. Microsoft isn’t half as lousy as people say it is.

Sharke on October 12, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Evolution on Linux. Chandler is also open source. Outlook is OK in itself, but it ties you to the brain-dead and ugly Exchange server that should have been clubbed to death last decade. Fortunately, there’s generally a team of people in the data center who spend their time keeping Exchange happy, so you never have to see it.

Unless you’re unlucky enough to have Outlook talking to a remote Exchange server at the end of an overcrowded WAN connection, in which case you will notice the long delays as the local Outlook client waits for the Exchange server to respond to a request for the most minor screen updates.

So, IF you’re using Outlook talking to an Exchange server — to get all the Outlook features that businesses actually pay for — and IF that Exchange server is on your LAN — because that’s how Outlook and Exchange are designed to work — and IF you have someone else keeping the Exchange server running for you, THEN Outlook is OK.

Sadly, Exchange is a complicated enough beast that it tends to not be installed locally.

It’s really a shame that email software has to be that complicated, and perform that poorly when talking to a remote server.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I’ll be sticking with XP on my home PC, but updating to Windows 7 on my work PC as soon as I get a long overdue new notebook PC. XP is fine, but you know sooner or later that you’ll need the latest and greatest software that won’t have XP compatibility.

I’ve thought about switching to a Mac at home, but the high prices keep putting me off. I am a value shopper, even on computers, so Mac is way too much money for what you get. If they lower their prices by 30% I might bite, but that will never happen.

Snidely Whiplash on October 12, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I’ve used Apple computers since the Apple II (which I still have). My current Mac can, and does run Win XP and Ubuntu Linux using Parallels desktop. For Windows I use XP since a got a freebie through the university a number of years ago and will only consider running Windows 7 if I got it really cheap and could use Parallels. Microsoft had a weird deal with Vista which only allowed the most expensive version to legally run on a virtual machine. I’m not aware if Win 7 has similar restrictions.

Annar on October 12, 2009 at 2:38 PM

Think about it…….

leetpriest on October 12, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Cocoa and Objective C are available on Linux and Windows. Mac has its proprietary bits, but it doesn’t include Cocoa, Objective C, or the underlying BSD system called Darwin.

Unix admins can actually feel very comfortable with a Mac laptop, and many use it. Personally, I’d rather run Linux on the laptop and save a bunch of dough.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:39 PM

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 1:17 PM

[A]I am a gamer, and I will not be switching from XP to 7 unless DirectX 11 (which comes with 7) proves to be equal to the hype surrounding it. Microsoft and Nvidia tried the same hype with Vista and DirectX 10, (you could not get DX10 with XP, it only came with Vista) and [B] within days of Crysis being released (one of the games that DX10 was supposed to make huge graphical improvements to) the gamer brainiacs on the ‘net had a worked out some simple graphics tweaks that made the XP DX9 version look almost exactly as good as the Vista DX10 version.

[A] DX11 is backwards compatible. It includes what are called “feature levels” that allow an app to drop to DX9, DX10, or DX10.1 depending on hardware support. In other words, your concern here is completely unfounded.

[B] DX10 was allowed only in Vista and forbidden to XP because it relied on an entirely new (and vastly improved) driver model that was introduced with Vista. The hacks you talked about with Crysis were really just a couple of settings in a text file, which turned on certain features which were admittedly a horribly underhanded attempt to coerce people to Vista, but which were not directly related to the differences in DX10 and DX9.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I’ve been running Vista32 ever since the first RC came out, and on my main machine with the RTM (preloaded, not an upgrade) ever since, and have had no problems whatsoever. However, I’ll be going to 64-bit Win-7 with my next machine, which will be a Core i7 quad coupled with an pair of nVidia Tesla cards. I primarily do number crunching and the “cool” factor of macs has no appeal for me (in fact, the Apple community’s snotty attitude about this is a real turnoff).

Eastview on October 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

I will never go back to Windows! In fact Vista is what finally drove me to convert. Brand new MacBook Pro last month, and worth every penny!!! “You pay what you get.”

El Guapo on October 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

The way I use my notebook, it’s just a glorified word processor. These things had capabilities beyond my needs or desires ten years ago. I’m still thrilled that no longer need to change ribbons.

pugwriter on October 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

I’ve been using W7 in either beta or RC form since last Spring. My 1/2 price upgrades were ordered last July for all PCs at home. So I guess Immediately is what I vote for. It would have been interesting for another choice to have been “already using it in RC form:.

Laddy on October 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Windows 92.77%
Mac 5.12%
Linux 0.95%
iPhone 0.35%
Java ME 0.30%

Operating Systems Market Share for September, 2009

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I buy a PC. It comes with Windows. I wipe Windows and install Linux. Where am I now in your stats?

I am counted as a Windows user, because Windows was on the PC, even though I never used it. My Linux use doesn’t even get registered.

Effectively, then, most Linux users never even show up in the market share numbers.

Which makes the numbers not exactly useless, but not exactly useful, either.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

As part of the 10%, I just wanted to say that I got my laptop in or around April of this year and it runs Vista Basic. I haven’t had a single problem with the system at all.

russcote on October 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Most people who whine about Vista don’t actually know why they are doing so… in many cases, they are mad because 3rd parties lazily ported drivers which didn’t work well. In other cases they are whining because some UI elements were modified and they simply are too lazy to learn to do things slightly differently. In most cases they haven’t really ever tried to use it, and are just doing what they think all of the cool kids are doing. Some (I would guess 1 in 10) actually has a reasonable complaint about it.

The reality is that since SP1 in particular, Vista has been a really good OS. It is a bit heavy though, and Win7 fixes that. It’s the first time a Windows OS has actually removed features, and the result is a remarkably quick, light feel.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Which makes the numbers not exactly useless, but not exactly useful, either.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

Dude… there are ways to measure these. Here are Hotair’s visitors, by OS.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Laddy on October 12, 2009 at 2:51 PM

RTM has been available for a couple of months at least, and is available to MSDN subscribers. So just an “Already using it” in general would be good.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM

gopmom on October 12, 2009 at 10:45 AM

That’s because you’re broke after you go mac. My experience is that macs are less stable than a well-built PC. Further, PC’s are more customizable (hardware-wise), and you have more choice in operating systems and software.

rogue780 on October 12, 2009 at 2:58 PM

Dude… there are ways to measure these. Here are Hotair’s visitors, by OS.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM

I’m using linux right now, but my browser is set to look like Windows XP because some sites only allow mac/windows users to use their services.

Also, who’s that person using Windows Me?

rogue780 on October 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Those numbers cannot be right. WinNT at 30% ? That must be a bug in Sitemeter’s code.

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

paulsur on October 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM

This is the worst advice I’ve ever heard. Don’t listen to this guy, just buy (better yet, build) a computer that is upgradeable, then upgrade smartly. Also, always buy AMD.

rogue780 on October 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

I’m not really concerned…And I am far from trying to give Windows 7 a bad rap. I was very impressed with the 7 Beta when I installed it on my secondary PC (an old Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz with 2 Gigs o’ RAM). The 7 Beta ran very smoothly on such an ‘antiquated’ machine. There is no way Vista could have run well on that rig. So, kudos to 7 being more efficient than Vista.

My point is, I am impressed by 7 so far, but since XP is running my apps and games just fine, I won’t be plunking down the cash for a new OS until I feel a real need to…

Just like with my hardware on my main PC,I have found it to be much more cost effective to be 1 or 2 notches behind the ‘cutting edge’ than to constantly be upgrading. (Oh the money I could have saved if I had known that back during my ‘got to have the fastest, nastiest video card’ phase a couple years back…)

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Already using Windows 7.

modnar on October 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM

I have had 2 PC’s crash after only a couple years use. I have 2 Macs in my office that have been around for several years, (6-7 years), and still running on fairly updated software. I will replacing them soon, but not because they don’t run, just because they are older operating systems. My Mac at home runs laps around our previous PC that was garbage, and cost about as much as our Mac.

Susanboo on October 12, 2009 at 3:12 PM

Dude… there are ways to measure these. Here are Hotair’s visitors, by OS.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 2:56 PM

There are other ways, certainly. But you would have to measure across a lot of web sites to get much meaningful information.

For instance, I could take a quick look at the stats you posted, and immediately point out that those stats show twice as many Linux users as the ones previously posted by supposed market share.

But how representative is the hotair.com user compared to the general public?

Like others, I have a user agent switcher extension loaded in Firefox so that I could pretend I was using Internet Explorer in Windows XP. I only turn it on when I have some kind of problem with a badly designed web page. It’s been months since I needed it. Some others may have just left it on, and not bothered turning it off for months now.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

I imagine that it is any NT based OS that isn’t XP (since XP has its own category there)… so, Vista, Win7, Win Server 2003 and 2008.

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Those types of stats ARE measured over a lot of websites. I just linked to Hotair’s, but sitemeter (among many others) tracks millions. My point was simply that they can be tracked.

rogue780 on October 12, 2009 at 3:00 PM

I don’t think this is as significant a factor as some people like to think it is. :-)

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 3:21 PM

zerodamage on October 12, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Could be spiders indexing the site. What OS does Google, Bing and Yahoo use for its spiders? Anybody know?

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 3:24 PM

El Guapo on October 12, 2009 at 2:49 PM

Is it just me, or do people like to blame Microsoft Operating systems when they buy a $600 prebuilt HP/Acer/Dell piece of crap, then bog it down with useless antivirus software?

I mean, you do realize that you’re supporting a company that thought it would be intuitive to force users to remove physical media using only software….

leetpriest on October 12, 2009 at 3:25 PM

Battlecruiser-operational on October 12, 2009 at 3:09 PM

Yeah, I avoid buying the latest video cards and processors… I usually buy at least old generation old so I can get the card for $150 instead of $499.

For what its worth, DX9 and DX10 games are running great on my Win7 system.

One more note: Win7 also installed drivers for things I didn’t even think about until I noticed they were working already. Best “out of the box” installation I’ve ever done. I occasionally completely reinstall a box just to keep things clean, and I have a big routine where I sit in front of the thing all night, install my list of drivers, and apps I use etc. Win7 ruined that. The installation was over in a fraction of the normal time, and everything was already installed. I felt robbed.

And I have the flexibility of changing out hardware that Mac users will never experience. If you want a machine that has everything neatly packaged for you at a very hefty premium, get a Mac. If you want a machine that can do the same things better, and which can change with your interests and be improved incrementally over time (at great savings to you), get a PC. There isn’t much to argue about there.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

One more note: Win7 also installed drivers for things I didn’t even think about until I noticed they were working already. Best “out of the box” installation I’ve ever done…The installation was over in a fraction of the normal time, and everything was already installed. I felt robbed.

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Couldn’t agree more on all counts.

TheBigOldDog on October 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM

I bought 2 new computers since Vista came out and yes they came packaged with Vista and being the lazy dolt that I am I just went with the flow although I still prefer XP which is the operation system on my older computer.

docdave on October 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

saus on October 12, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Well, the reason is that Windows 7 is more or less Vista SP1.

I tried the Windows 7 RC and I quickly came back to my wonderful Kubuntu Linux. I’m not sure why so many Linux distros default to the Gnome Desktop, when the KDE desktop is so much nicer. But with Linux you get your choice, Gnome, KDE, XFCE, and others. You make your desktop look like Windows XP, Vista, Vista 7, or Mac, if you want, though why?

thuja on October 12, 2009 at 3:33 PM

My company can no longer purchase new XP licenses for our product resale, so I’m stuck with Vista. Until SQA approves the upgrade to 7, probably Jan 2011.

Zaire67 on October 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM

DaveS on October 12, 2009 at 3:27 PM

What kind of hardware? Hard drives? Easier on my Mac’s than it ever is on my PC.

Video cards? I’ve switched cards without a problem on my Macs… Memory? No problems there either…

Could actually change the processor on my older PowerPC’s to get the newer/faster ones, and that was rather painless as well.

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

ThereGoesTheNeighborhood on October 12, 2009 at 2:53 PM

About 0.05%. Furthermore they are not MY stats. I gave you a link.

You are trying to nullify stats by claiming that because a small number of users wipe Windows and install Linux that somehow a sale for Windows should not be counted.

Lets suppose that everyone wiped Windows and never even used their PC and just left it in the box. It would still count as Windows MARKET SHARE because MARKET SHARE is based on SALES.

If you buy a car a never drive it, it still counts as a sale.

If you buy a CD and only listen to it once a year is still counts as a CD sold.

Geochelone on October 12, 2009 at 3:37 PM

I’m not sure what marketshare has to do with anything.

Who has more marketshare, Toyota or Lamborghini?

RedbonePro on October 12, 2009 at 3:40 PM