Poll: When will you switch to Windows 7?

posted at 8:47 am on October 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we’ve had a thread on operating systems, and what better time to have one than on the day that Amazon begins pushing pre-orders for the latest version of Microsoft Windows? They’re pushing hard, as they usually do, to get people committed to buying the new release sight unseen:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has recently shown an interest in software or computers at Amazon.com, you might be interested to know that you can get Microsoft Windows 7 delivered to your home the day it comes out, October 22. Simply select Release-Date Delivery at checkout–click here for full details.

To learn more about the exciting features of Microsoft’s newest operating system, be sure to visit our Windows 7 Resource Center and catch up on the latest buzz in our exclusive Windows 7 blog.

It comes in three flavors: Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Prices range from $119 to $299 depending on the upgrade version, but experienced users already know that the real cost comes after the purchase. When software upgrades lock up, existing peripherals no longer get supported, and data gets lost, that’s when users pay through the nose.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are few experiences I enjoy more than an operating system upgrade, perhaps only eclipsed by a Barack Obama speech on prime time, or a slow root canal with not quite enough Novocaine to cover the job. But the thrill of that adventure need not happen immediately; one can wait for the early-adopter crowd to leap forward into the darkness first, and leave enough breadcrumbs for the rest of us to try later.

Think of it in terms of Indiana Jones films, at least before that refrigerator scene. How many times did Indy walk through traps with skeletons already scattered all over the place? Indy may have been adventurous, but I don’t think he would have been an early adopter on operating systems, I tell you. Or, for that matter, let’s not forget that Captain Kirk would send a couple of redshirts to die before figuring out that the latest planet was indeed dangerous.

The wild card in this is Windows Vista. This is an operating system so unpopular that Microsoft had to fake people into thinking it was a new operating system in order to get people to say nice things about it for their commercials (remember “Mojave”?). Windows XP users petitioned Microsoft to keep them from killing XP support and won another year of life, thanks to widespread consumer dissatisfaction. Vista could be driving a big push to get the new 7 in its various forms, which may be why the upgrades are ranked third, 29th, and 12th in Amazon software sales at the moment, respectively.

Are you one of those champing at the bit to either take the Windows 7 adventure or to get as far away from Vista, and as fast as possible? Or are you willing to sacrifice your fellow computer users first, like redshirts on Star Trek? Take the poll and join the comments:

Update: Windows XP will be supported through 2014, apparently. And who are those 10% who want to stick with Vista?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Only three votes, including mine, and all three of us have a Mac. That’s funny.

Aitch748 on October 12, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I bought my upgrade months ago when it was on sale for around $50.
Just not happy with Vista.

eforhan on October 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Now that i have a mac windows is a distant memory.

SHARPTOOTH on October 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Looking forward to the first Mac TV commercial…

PatriotRider on October 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM

I just received my latest XP Pro machine from Dell. I voted you will have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands. They say they will ship them thru Dec 1.

dentalque on October 12, 2009 at 8:52 AM

You should have an option for when I buy a new computer. I have heard enough good things about Windows 7 not to be afraid of it, Walt Mossberg’s review, but I am not going to go through the hassle of changing operating systems.

Bill C on October 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM

hmm…I see I have the dinosaur operating system, Windows XP.

becki51758 on October 12, 2009 at 8:53 AM

Probably a year. Depends upon getting a new job (with salary increase) or promotion here (with salary increase) and I can afford a new computer.

XP is running just fine for me.

rbj on October 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

We’ve got a couple of nice machines that came burdened with Vista. I believe they said we can update them for free so, if we can, we’ll use the wife’s machine to test the waters. She doesn’t use it much so if it’s down for a week while I roll it back it’s no big deal.

If it works out then, after some testing, we’ll roll the others away from Vista.

The other machines in the house will keep their current mix of OS’s. Well, I do need to upgrade the Linux box to the latest Ubuntu, but that’s not really much of a change.

KCSteve on October 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

I know a bunch of people who still use windows pc’s and they know what they’re talking about: They love windows 7.

I voted for the “pry XP from my cold dead hands” tho. Cuz my crusty old computer isn’t fast enough to run it.

B Man on October 12, 2009 at 8:55 AM

I bought my upgrade months ago when it was on sale for around $50.
Just not happy with Vista.

eforhan on October 12, 2009 at 8:51 AM

Ditto, only I’m finally jumping from XP to Win7. I’ve only heard good things about it.

NickelAndDime on October 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Wait, they want me to PAY to replace their crappy Vista? Then I have to spend hour upon hour reinstalling software, uploading music, vids, docs, etc? Not to mention the backing up in the first place? Sh*t, they should pay us to upgrade.

William Teach on October 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

I’ve got 6 macs and one HP Pc, so I’m good.

bbz123 on October 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

My current XP machine is having some major problems, so I have started assembling the parts for my next computer. Since it will be a brand new computer, I will put Windows 7 on it.

Just about everything I’ve read about W7 from those who downloaded and used the RC (Release Candidate) was very positive.

I don’t doubt there will be the typical driver difficulties always found in initial OS releases, but that will pass fairly quickly.

Religious_Zealot on October 12, 2009 at 8:56 AM

Were is the “been there done that, waiting for Windows 8″ option? Oh well, I been running Windows 7 32Bit for the last month at work and other than a few minor issue with drivers. It has proven itself to be very reliable and stable.

ltcatack on October 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I’m keeping XP, it’s on all my personal and business units, for as long as possible.

After that, it will be Mac all the way. I’ll never again buy or approve the purchase of any Windows OS.

Period.

TXUS on October 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I already switched last summer…

ninjapirate on October 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM

Been using it since the RC. Much better than Vista, better than XP, better than MAC. I use them all.

rollthedice on October 12, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I like XP, but I have heard good things about Windows 7. If it’s legit, I’ll upgrade in a few months. I waited on Vista and I’m glad I did – I’d never use that crap software.

Red Cloud on October 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I’ve been running Windows 7 for months, (beta version) – it’s been fantastic. It’s the best windows I’ve ever used, and I loved 2000 and XP.

grebnork on October 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I have a pc with xp which you’ll have to pry from my cold dead hands. It’s too traumatic to switch. I also have a macbook that also runs xp very well.

Monica on October 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM

I have no immediate need to change to Windows 7, and I have learned to ignore the hype surrounding supposed upgrades, especially from Microsoft.

I generally change OS when I get a new computer, and I am leaning towards Mac this time around.

Rode Werk on October 12, 2009 at 8:58 AM

Hated Vista and was eager to move away from it. Have had Win7 as a beta and RTM running on 3 laptops and a desktop for a couple of months. Much faster and more efficient with memory management. The upgrade from Vista took about an hour each time but was smooth. Haven’t done an upgrade from XP.

dedalus on October 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I have post-poned buying a new computer until W7 was avaiable. My computer nerd friends like the beta version

Zdad on October 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

My wife’s laptop has Vista on it and we have “qualified” for the free upgrade to W7.

For THAT computer we will wait a month or so until the driver problems get worked out.

Religious_Zealot on October 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I’ve got Vista Premium on my laptop, and I haven’t had any problems with it. The worst thing I’d say is that some of the “features” got annoying, but they were easily disabled. I’ll probably wait a while before updating to Windows 7, if only for the reason that I don’t have the extra cash to drop on a new OS right now. If/when I build a new desktop, I’ll install Windows 7 probably, but honestly, with no problems on my Vista laptop, I really don’t see the need to waste my scarce cash on a new OS.

smithinmich on October 12, 2009 at 9:00 AM

I guess i don’t do enough with my computer that Vista has showen to be any problem at all.

heshtesh on October 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM

I love snow leopard!! I have a Mac at home and use Solaris 10 at work.

However, I am tech support for my parents, who use Vista. I’ll upgrade their machine for Christmas 2010 to Windows 7.

talking_mouse on October 12, 2009 at 9:01 AM

You need a choice of “I’ll upgrade when Microsoft forces me too or I need to buy a new computer and it’s the only option.”

I only go kicking and screaming. Always let some other jamoke go around the dark scary corner first. That way when the zombies get him, you have time to open fire and back away.

jnelchef on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

I’m happy for you Windows owners and imma let you finish your poll, but Apple’s Snow Leopard is one of the greatest operating systems of all time.

saint kansas on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

There are reports that Windows 7 is slower than Vista.

Nineball on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Win 7 is very nice. Ran several of the beta releases and have the RTM code on a machine at work. Havn’t run across any compatibility issues. One of my coworkers has it running on a lowly MSI netbook and reports it to be much nicer than XP on the same machine.

I pre-ordered a couple of upgrades and will have my son order a few more with the nice deal Microsoft has for college students.

alilianstrom on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Ubuntu for our two internet boxes, W2K Pro for my image processing machine. Later versions of Windows might work better but I’m damned if I’ll buy a system where I have to perpetually get permission to reinstall it. What I pay for is mine.

PersonFromPorlock on October 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM

I will move to 7 after a couple of months…never a Mac.
Why pay someone 30-50% more, and still have to run windows?
PC’s drive business, Mac’s are for people who want cool.
I have had PC’s for years and have hardly ever had a problem that lasted more the 5 minutes…the trick?
Just leave them alone, and don’t add a bunch of junk.
If you want a “gamer”, get another computer and make a gamer.
If you do business, only do business on a business computer.
How many times has XP crashed on me? None…

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 9:03 AM

saint kansas on October 12, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Classic!

loudmouth883 on October 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I have been using Windows7 since January and the first public beta release.

It is everything that Vista should have been and so much more. It’s memory management is outstanding and it boots and operates quicker than any previous version of Windows.

I highly recommend it.

The family pack 3license box for $150 isn’t too shabby either.

exsanguine on October 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

I go both ways – Windows and Mac. I love my Mac, but there are some things that I can’t do on it that I can on my PC, so I’m not giving up my PC anytime soon. However, I despise Vista with a passion, so I’ll be getting Win7 as soon as it comes out.

Vic on October 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

As soon as the new Macs come out I am going to switch. I just hope the snow leopard will be as intuitive as the Windows operating systems have been. I already have begun to get acquanted with Safari.

fourdeucer on October 12, 2009 at 9:04 AM

What, my Commodore 64 doesn’t come with an upgrade???

Next, you’ll be tellin’ me my 8-track’s obsolete!

Rovin on October 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I really don’t care.I’ll buy whatever computer is the best bang for the buck. I don’t care if it comes with Windows 95.
As long as I can load Excel I can rule the world.

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

For the machine I have now, probably never. I use two very expensive software packages (electronic and mechanical design) that are not supported at all by Vista or 7. Also use high-end audio recording and video editing packages that have no drivers for 7 yet.

Nothing against 7, it looks like a pretty good upgrade. But my current machine is tricked-out to run XP like lightning, and stable. I hardly ever play games. Why do I need Windows 7? Email, blogs, and Youtube? Can’t justify it.

Bat Chain Puller on October 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

I’ll upgrade only when I have to buy a new computer. I’ve considered a Mac the next time but, a buddy of mine had one and it needed repaired. He took to the place he bought it and they had to send it in. I think it was gone for 6 weeks. Everytime he would call they would give him the run around on when it would be fixed and sent back home. With that, I decided against a Mac. At least Dell will mail you the part and send a tech to your house to fix it. That is if I can’t fix it myself.

boomer on October 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I was a hardcore dedicated XP fan until my system died and I got my new system with Vista Ultimate 64bit pre-loaded. I was going to trash the Vista and load my XP pro but I ended up using the Vista for a while and now I like it better then XP.

Looking at benchmark tests I’m not seeing the advantage of switching to W7 if you are running a fully updated Vista.

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I’ve got an older desktop with the Media Center version of XP. (“Media Center.” My God, what inappropriate name for this product. It’s to media centralization what the current POTUS is to moving to toward the center of our political spectrum.) I get the feeling if I want the newest OS to work proplerly I’ll have to upgrade my hardware, and as far as I’m concerned, an OS upgrade like that is just a scam to get me to buy new hardware I didn’t really want.

apostic on October 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Where is the option for “already running Windows 7″?

wildcat84 on October 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

One of my bookkeeping clients was a beta tester for Windows 7.

They love it. It seems to really speed up practical use when/if you are using multiple proprietary software systems.

Regards,

the Dragon on October 12, 2009 at 9:07 AM

As long as I can load Excel I can rule the world.

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Excel, Word, Gottomeeting, you only need a few programs on a business computer to “rule the world”.
If you want a bunch of other, buy another computer and screw that up.

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM

Had Windows 7 for three weeks now (it helps to have a family member who works for Microsoft) and it’s great. Used to use Vista and it was a systems hog but 7 is clean and runs much much faster.

Bishop on October 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I am already on Linux at home but my wife’s machine is still Windows XP. I’m pretty sure that her machine will not support all the doodads that Windows 7 will “offer”.

Professionally I am in a serious quandry. I have 150 users on my network and we are part of a larger enterprise environment with 10s of thousands of machines. I can’t imagine the enterprise folks making the leap to Windows7 especially since a bunch of the smaller departments\agencies do not have the resources to upgrade their hardware to support the video requirements.

This is going to be a big mess.

Pilgrim on October 12, 2009 at 9:08 AM

I’ve been on Windows 7 for months and I have to say- It doesn’t suck. I’m an XP lover, never bought Vista and pity those who did – Windows 7 is an adjustment from XP, but worth the effort. I run XP and 7 and Linux off one fat machine, and my main OS now is the 7.
Btw – I have a lot of specialized software and find that if it glitches with 7, 7 offers the option to get it compatible – and when it does it goes to the XP format, not Vista. This is a good sign lol.
Look, I hated going from Windows 95 to 98. I like routines. I like knowing my OS inside and out. But 7 is a go. It’s pretty fun.

ace tomato on October 12, 2009 at 9:09 AM

I use a Mac at home and Dell Laptop with XP PRO – however I will never ever spend my $$ on a Microsoft product ever again….F*** Microsoft.

igglesphan on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Bat Chain Puller on October 12, 2009 at 9:05 AM

The right tool for the right job…

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

What’s funny is the preening of the Mac users who constantly have to tell everyone they have a Mac. All these years of Apple marketing and about 8% of all PC’s are Macs. Ouch. And linux? about 1%. “But it’s free…” Double ouch.

Punditpawn on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

My wife and I bought our first laptop computer the other day. One thing we made sure of is that it came with the upgrade for Windows 7.

it was a good shot at getting a deal on some old inventory (getting rid of the vista platform to make room for Win. 7).

DaveC on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I have been in computer support for over 14 years, and in those 14 years, I have seen Windows V.3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows CE, Windows V 3.14, Windows NT4, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows XP, Windows XP Service Pack 1, Windows Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, and now here comes Windows 7! That is 13 operating systems in less that 14 years! How many times have Linux or Apple changed their OS in this same time frame?

And as always, Microsoft is expecting everyone to fall in line and jump on the bandwagon with their new operating system!

Never mind the fact that each and every time Microsoft does this, it costs the average corporation millions of dollars to set up for the new system, migrate to the new system, train their employees to use the new system, etc. And each and every time Microsoft pulls this, there always end up being bugs in the system that no one saw coming, and that take months to repair, costing the average corporation even more money, not to mention time spent and wasted.

This is why there are still companies out there, some of them rather large and well established, who are still using Windows 95 and 98, instead of blowing big bucks to install an operating system that will end up being obsolete in less than a few years. And this is why there will be few companies who are going to shift to Windows 7, regardless of whatever the latest new bells and whistles Microsoft has attached to it.

Frankly, folks, if you are currently using Windows XP and Vista, and it’s working for you just fine, my advice is to tell Microsoft to shove their Windows 7 and just stick with what you have. And if Microsoft tries to hold that threat of their not supporting the operating system after a certain period of time, screw them! Their service sucks with their supporting their current operating system, so what’s the difference?

pilamaye on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

I “switched to linux” in 1994 from unix and VMS.

Never used DOS.

gh on October 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I see no reason to “upgrade” from XP on my Windows PC. I also own a MacBook Pro that I bought to avoid Vista. I love my Mac and I find it useful to have both a Mac and an XP PC.

I voted XP in the poll since I could not choose more than one selection.

Ordinary1 on October 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM

I’ll likely upgrade the laptop immediately because its factory install of Vista is a battery hog.

The desktop can and will wait because I actually have had good luck with Vista, mostly because I built the desktop myself with mid-to-high-end components. In fact, my dad’s and my sister’s systems, both “Big Computer”-built with XP, have been more troublesome than my system.

steveegg on October 12, 2009 at 9:11 AM

KCSteve on October 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM

It is if you are running a laptop with Intel graphics. I just spent a couple of hours getting the newest Ubuntu up and running only to find I still get choppy graphics and video.

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Hey, here’s a cool new feature in the latest Mac OS, Snow Leopard. Log in as a “guest”, get your entire computer wiped clean!

It’s a feature, not a bug.

outOfElement on October 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

How many times have Linux or Apple changed their OS in this same time frame?

pilamaye on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

About the same.

Hardware changes constantly and the OS core has to change to keep up.

gh on October 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I avoided Vistas like a e. coli outbreak. XP has been the workhorse, and will continue for some time.

My son & I downloaded and installed, on a spare computer, a beta version of windows se7en this summer. It was slick n smooth in a Mac OS 10 kinda way. Very stable and friendly, for the little time we played with it.

Windows se7en didn’t appear to have the ‘get under the hood and tweek it’ knobs and handles so familiar with ’98, millennium, and XP. Seven was streamlined. Integrated. More automatic. For the people.

We experienced only two conflicts during the software install of Spybot & AdAware. Apparently, Se7en’s built-in anti-virus stuff didn’t like others on its turf, but Se7en accepted most everything we toyed around with, included device drivers.

Microsoft finally got other one right.

Did you ever think there would come a day when the gub’mint would be so dis-functional, malignant & constipated that we’d wish for it to be as responsive as Microsoft??

God save the Republic.

locomotivebreath1901 on October 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I have it on 4 computers now (MSDN Universal subscriber here) and have been running it on at least one since beta. I love it. It has a handful of annoyances like any other OS, but all-in-all I would say it is the best Windows ever. It is precisely what Vista should have been. How sad is that?!

stvnscott on October 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM

What’s Windows?

uknowmorethanme on October 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM

BUY IT! TRUST US, IT’S GREAT! Hmm, where have we heard that before?

marklmail on October 12, 2009 at 9:15 AM

You left out Windows 7 Enterprise. Not an option for most folks, but still an option. The handful of boxes at work that had Vista are getting that version. Win7 is performing better than Vista. So far. It’s what Vista should have been. The XP boxes will remain XP.

All those desktops will be phased into VDI within the next year and a half.

My laptop (Asus G series. It rawks.) shipped with Vista. It now sports OpenSuse 11.1. I ditched Windows back in the Win98 days.

The kids laptops have Vista on them, but that will be changing. Just haven’t decided which flavor of Linux they’ll be getting.

raz0r on October 12, 2009 at 9:16 AM

I’ve been running Windows 7 for a while now and it’s pretty stable and boots up fast. It is without a doubt superior to XP and is far, far better than Vista.

The only thing is that some older games don’t run on it even with compatibility mode.

Kronos on October 12, 2009 at 9:16 AM

Heck, I didn’t even like XP. I downgraded the laptop that came with it because it wouldn’t wake up after going to sleep and had to be power cycled. I put Win2K on it and it’s been running fine ever since.

I have Vista at work because I have to, but it seems to need to be rebooted fairly often to clear this or that hangup, it can run like a pig when something undiscoverable on the network makes it cranky, and I hate having to spend the better part of an hour finding the system switches I used to know just because Microsoft in their infinite wisdom decided to move them somewhere else.

But I do have a couple of systems at home running Server 2008. Without any of the services enabled, it’s actually pretty clean and reliable, though it takes up more memory than it should need to. IE7, on the other hand, is a total write-off. It’s got so many security blocks in it to compensate for its security holes that it’s totally useless.

Socratease on October 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM

No checkbox for “nearly all of the above”? I’m running both XP and Windows 7 7100 eval (RTP iso) in Xen virtuals under CentOS 5.3 (Linux). I’ve finally virtualized XP so my one app (Photoshop) that needs it can have a hunk of the machine. Win7 seems designed to run as a virtual under Linux — it uses very little cpu in comparison to XP.

I’d try MacOS but Apple is like IBM in the 1970′s — wants to bundle their software with their hardware. Since I view their Intel-based hardware as vastly overpriced compared to what I can build from parts gotten from Fry’s. Maybe Psytar (the Mac clone maker) will win the lawsuit Apple filed against it for writing device drivers that allow MacOS to run on a PC, and then we’ll be able to virtualize it as well.

unclesmrgol on October 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

My Vista’s not bad with Firefox and Opera. But with IE it’s a wreck, (and Windows Mail is a wreck also.) IE is not just slow, but half the time it requires refreshing to reach the page in the address bar.

I see an Apple in my future.

petefrt on October 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

Win 7 has been getting great reviews, and XP is getting pretty old at this point. Problem for me is, I’ve been in school in one form or another for every previous Windows version (so I got it for $10-25 with discount, basically free). I’d have to pay full price now, and I like to buy the full version ins tead of the upgrade to do a clean install, so I think I’ll wait awhile.

brak on October 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:12 AM

That’s why all my laptops have either nVidia or ATI, mostly nVidia.

raz0r on October 12, 2009 at 9:19 AM

I use a Mac, personally, but my wife has an HP laptop with Vista and it is gawd awful. Remember how to tell who the pioneers are? They’re the ones with the arrows in their backs. I’ll wait a few months to see what the reaction of the early adopters is and then consider switching the laptop.

Kafir on October 12, 2009 at 9:20 AM

XP and Ubuntu dual-boot for the win.

Dark-Star on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

pilamaye on October 12, 2009 at 9:10 AM

That would be 13 versions of the *same* operating system in 13 years, Windows. Mac has had AT LEAST that many different versions – the only difference being that when Mac does a dot release they don’t call the OS something different like Windows does.

Speaking as a .NET developer and someone that has been in computer support since Windows 95 came out AND as someone that lives in a mixed household (Mac and PC), I upgraded to Windows 7 when the first beta was posted and I haven’t looked back.

My home computer and my work PC (where I do my software development using Visual Studio 2008 and 2005) are BOTH Windows 7 64-bit and both “just work”, 24/7. Not one single incompatibility with either machine, no bluescreens, and both computers consistently boot to login in < 30 seconds – they also recover from sleep to login in < 3 seconds.

I would recommend that anyone running Vista definitely upgrade to 7 and anyone running Windows XP that has a machine purchased in the last 5 years should also consider upgrading now as well.

Anyone advising you to hang on to Windows XP for dear life should be taken with a grain of salt.

outOfElement on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I went out of my way to get the XP “downgrade” when I got my last computer. It works fine.

forest on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Vista finally pushed me over to the Mac. Ain’t planning on coming back, Jack.

EMD on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

I’ve been using Win 7 RC for 6 months. (I skipped Vista, but had to support it on my wife’s PC) It’s solid and nicer than XP. I also purchased 2 copies of Win over the summer for half price.

elfman on October 12, 2009 at 9:22 AM

There was no option to go back to Windows 95?

Vashta.Nerada on October 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

There is no built-in antivirus in Windows 7.

outOfElement on October 12, 2009 at 9:23 AM

I don’t mind Vista really except that it asks me for security clearance every 30 seconds… I just want to copy a file from my external to my hard drive guys: it’s not that complicated.

Anyone who needs that many warnings to operate their machine deserves to get a virus.

Lehosh on October 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

I’m still dealing with the fact that my new business computers wont except ACT2000 that I use for lead tracking. I love the old version of ACT like most people that use it. The new version of ACT wont let me convert the old stuff in. I’m in a spot.

pageram on October 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

Running Windows Vista Business on 2 machines for a year and a half, without a hitch.

I’ll switch to W7, not because I have to, but when I want to.

One thing I happily said goodbye to this past summer was IE. IE8 gave me so much trouble, that I installed Firefox, and have never looked back. That was true for both Vista and XP machines I work with.

Shy Guy on October 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Been using the RC (for months) as well as the final release (for weeks). Very happy personally, as are my collegues. I’ll probably put it on my home laptop in a couple weeks, but I’ll probably leave XP on my old desktop until I replace it.

Joe Caps on October 12, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Windows 7 is amazingly good. I’ve been using the RC since earlier this year and it has been completely solid. The XP to vista clean install may be hard for some but its worth it, especially if you have newer hardware. After Microsoft got the kinks out of Vista, it wasn’t bad. Anyone who has xp now and their computer can handle windows 7 should upgrade as soon as possible.

Complete7 on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I’ve been on the release edition of Win 7 (Ultimate) for two months now, and I’m loving it. This is the best operating system that MS has ever done. Stable, fast, responsive, with lots of new enhancements.

I also upgraded to 64-bit, so the installs had to be “clean” installs (which I usually do anyway). No driver issues. Dell hadn’t released Win 7 drivers when I upgraded my laptop, but I downloaded all the Vista 64-bit drivers that I needed, and they’re working just fine. No install hassles, either.

NeighborhoodCatLady on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I’m running an INSDU 5300 lap top with a GMC 6-71 blower, 4 bolt main, fuelie heads.It came with Vistavision, but I upgraded to a 10W-30 microprocessor with solid lifter cam and Studebaker Golden Hawk video card.

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Used the beta and then the RC for a while. Nice features, but some glaring incompatibilities with certain mainstream software (PunkBuster in particular). XP continues to chug along fine for me.

MadisonConservative on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Lehosh on October 12, 2009 at 9:24 AM

If you are talking UAC it is very easy to disable.

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I consider Vista to be WindowsME of the new millennium. ME was a nightmare, and my computer that had it pre-installed couldn’t operate the hardware that came with the system no matter how hard I tried. After a while I gave up and “downgraded” to Windows 98. Everything worked perfectly!

XP was a godsend by comparison. When I bought a new system with Vista, it still wouldn’t operate a lot of my hardware. After an update, my mouse stopped working. Again, I “downgraded”, this time to XP. Again, everything worked perfectly.

If the parallels continue, that means the new windows will be a good OS. But, I’m still sticking with XP until I’m certain.

ynot4tony2 on October 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

I never upgraded to Vista, because of all the bad reviews. I am using XP and it is working fine for me. I have heard good things about Windows 7, but don’t know if or when I will upgrade.

Indie-gal on October 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

That would be 13 versions of the *same* operating system in 13 years, Windows.
outOfElement on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 AM

Nope. It’s two different (three if you believe M$) operating systems. Win 3.1, 95, 98, ME were DOS underneath. Win 2K switched to NT. Vista was supposed to be rebuilt from scratch as well but was just a clean fork of NT (removing the DOS shell and some other legacy components).

gh on October 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM

Die, UAC, DIE!

Joe Caps on October 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM

I consider Vista to be WindowsME
ynot4tony2 on October 12, 2009 at 9:27 AM

Lol. Actually they are opposites. ME was an EOL version of DOS, cause 2K was late. Vista is a beta of a new NT.

gh on October 12, 2009 at 9:29 AM

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

Ad the Mallory FU ignition blaster…it can be manually or auto actuated.

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

If you are talking UAC it is very easy to disable.

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

I am, and I know, but I sort of wish there was an option, “Only warn me about important things…”

Lehosh on October 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Win98′s not on the list!!!

Dusty on October 12, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Studebaker Golden Hawk video card.

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

In my opinion Studebaker really blew it with the Golden Hawk. The Silver Hawk was faster and used less memory. It also had bump mapping built in which the Golden doesn’t. It depends on that crappy driver with emulated bump mapping. Bumps just don’t look as good.

RagTag on October 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM

Wait until the second service pack.

Microsoft always screws up the first one… WinNT, Win95, Win2K, WinXP… all had awful first service packs that required so many hotfixes it wasn’t funny. By service pack 2 you get some stability. Vista did a Charlie-Foxtrot from the gate, and its service packs: it is a vacuum and one of the worst of the Microsoft releases. I won’t do anything on Win 7.0 until it is Win 7.2.

If your system is stable, runs well and does what you need it to, then why switch?

And if you want to help get a non-Microsoft, open source windows system there are the people working on ReactOS. It is in alpha and not ready for production machines or even doing most of the current Win functions. But they are using the open source concept, putting everything out for developers to work on, and point out that the very core of Windows hasn’t changed much since NT 4.0. Instead of upgrading on MS, why not send them 10% of what you would spend on upgrading and wait for a couple of service packs?

There are some programs that I need that are Win only, so will stick with XP for those. And if MS doesn’t offer an XP upgrade path, then I will sit. A Mac is not an option nor Linux nor BSD… the latter two due to lack of user-friendliness. Yes I have tried Ubuntu. No it is not easy to set up for my equipment. Ease of use, setup, compatibility with older equipment and able to run programs that are not normally supported by WINE and other emulators is what is needed, not dinking around with configuration files, thanks. Thus XP remains after I removed the crud from it, streamlined it, and got it stable.

Let me know when the HAL 9000.2 OS is available and they fix that pod bay door problem…

ajacksonian on October 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM

When? Just as soon as Obama resigns.

I don’t want Apple to be a monopoly (either), but for most people, not having a Mac is pretty close to being ignorant.

ParisParamus on October 12, 2009 at 9:31 AM