Poll: When will you switch to Windows 7?

posted at 8:47 am on October 12, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

It’s been a while since we’ve had a thread on operating systems, and what better time to have one than on the day that Amazon begins pushing pre-orders for the latest version of Microsoft Windows? They’re pushing hard, as they usually do, to get people committed to buying the new release sight unseen:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,

As someone who has recently shown an interest in software or computers at Amazon.com, you might be interested to know that you can get Microsoft Windows 7 delivered to your home the day it comes out, October 22. Simply select Release-Date Delivery at checkout–click here for full details.

To learn more about the exciting features of Microsoft’s newest operating system, be sure to visit our Windows 7 Resource Center and catch up on the latest buzz in our exclusive Windows 7 blog.

It comes in three flavors: Home Premium, Professional, and Ultimate. Prices range from $119 to $299 depending on the upgrade version, but experienced users already know that the real cost comes after the purchase. When software upgrades lock up, existing peripherals no longer get supported, and data gets lost, that’s when users pay through the nose.

Now, don’t get me wrong. There are few experiences I enjoy more than an operating system upgrade, perhaps only eclipsed by a Barack Obama speech on prime time, or a slow root canal with not quite enough Novocaine to cover the job. But the thrill of that adventure need not happen immediately; one can wait for the early-adopter crowd to leap forward into the darkness first, and leave enough breadcrumbs for the rest of us to try later.

Think of it in terms of Indiana Jones films, at least before that refrigerator scene. How many times did Indy walk through traps with skeletons already scattered all over the place? Indy may have been adventurous, but I don’t think he would have been an early adopter on operating systems, I tell you. Or, for that matter, let’s not forget that Captain Kirk would send a couple of redshirts to die before figuring out that the latest planet was indeed dangerous.

The wild card in this is Windows Vista. This is an operating system so unpopular that Microsoft had to fake people into thinking it was a new operating system in order to get people to say nice things about it for their commercials (remember “Mojave”?). Windows XP users petitioned Microsoft to keep them from killing XP support and won another year of life, thanks to widespread consumer dissatisfaction. Vista could be driving a big push to get the new 7 in its various forms, which may be why the upgrades are ranked third, 29th, and 12th in Amazon software sales at the moment, respectively.

Are you one of those champing at the bit to either take the Windows 7 adventure or to get as far away from Vista, and as fast as possible? Or are you willing to sacrifice your fellow computer users first, like redshirts on Star Trek? Take the poll and join the comments:

Update: Windows XP will be supported through 2014, apparently. And who are those 10% who want to stick with Vista?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

I luv my Mac.

It has an intel micro processor and runs windows. I run Microsoft office, Microsoft word, Microsoft excell, Microsoft power point, and Microsoft outlook.

I hookup an external Dell Monitor since the mac screen has too much glare. I also use a Microsoft Mouse to get the right click working. Don’t like the Apple Mouse.

Apple just rocks except I don’t like the Mac keyboard that much either.

So I hook up a LogiTech keyboard. I can also use the built in speech recognition that comes with Windows 7 which saves me time.

And that is why I luv my Mac so much. /s

Geochelone on October 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM

I’ve been running Win 7 Ultimate for about two weeks. Love it.

rightwingprof on October 13, 2009 at 7:50 AM

Geochelone – In other words you love your mac because it has a neat logo on the lid. Every single thing you mentioned were done thru bootcamp in Windows. Seems to me that partition or OSX was a waste of space.

metric on October 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

*was *of

metric on October 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

I love my mac book pro. Every morning I turn it on and it works. I love time machine, all I have to do is plug in my external drive and it does the rest. I hook up my HD monitor to it when I need to work on my art and photo stuff and it runs like a dream – it works with every software program I need, with no problems. I did buy boot camp in case I needed to run windows on it, but I’ve never had the need too. My Mac NEVER crashes. I’ve had it for over 2 years and it runs as fast as the day I purchased it.

Ann NY on October 13, 2009 at 8:12 AM

metric on October 13, 2009 at 8:03 AM

Exactly.

My Mac has the best logo and lid in the industry.

I wish I could get some more hard drive space by erasing OSX. But Apple is so innovative I am sure they are working on the problem of their OS taking up so much room that could be better allocated for Microsoft products and other vendors software too.

Another problem Apple should be working on is how to hook up their Logo and Lid and attached it to a PC. That would really solve the problem.

Geochelone on October 13, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I already upgraded a Vista 64-bit computer to Windows 7 and it’s working great. Windows 7 has been available to TechNet subscribers for awhile. No problems here.

jtdavies on October 13, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Not switching because I’ve already switched to the Mac. I’m done with Windows, except for times when I need to play some PC exclusive games. I use XP for that.

I’ve seen the light and it’s name is OSX

Californian on October 13, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Already using the 7 RTM on my Laptop, which dual-boots with Ubuntu Linux.

I use 7 at work, where I am a Windows admin and need to be in Windows, and Ubuntu at home and for personal stuff.

I’ve found 7 to be an excellent Operating system, marred only by a few minor design flaws related to over-zealousness on the part of the UI designers. But beyond that it appears to be largely stable, somewhat easier to use than Vista (and significantly less annoying) and as easy to customize as XP was, if not more so.

Overall I’d say that Win7 is everything that Vista WANTED to be but utterly failed at. While that may seem like a slam, it isn’t. 7 really is nice to work with, and will be the OS that finally gets my Gaming PC off of XP.

wearyman on October 13, 2009 at 8:53 AM

XP does just what I want it to do and does it well. I’ll wait and upgrade when I get a new laptop. The mouse button doesn’t quite work on this one and it doesn’t always like to wake up when I tell it to, so that might be sooner rather than later. I am glad that I can go with 7 instead of Vista though…

michjoe86 on October 13, 2009 at 9:28 AM

I’ve been using Windows7 since January’s beta and I’ve been thoroughly impressed with it. It’s to Vista what XP was to ME.

crazy_legs on October 13, 2009 at 9:33 AM

Is there someone here that can explain the virtues of the 32 bit versus 64 bit versions of this Windows 7? Is there a reason to run one way over the other? If so, why?

I will probably upgrade to 7, but I want to make an informed decision and make sure it do it right. I got my dell lattitude this past april and paid extra for XP to be installed from the factory.

karenhasfreedom on October 13, 2009 at 2:06 AM

For the average user who’s going to just browse the web or comment on Hot Air, not much. If Windows 7 64-bit is like Linux 64-bit, then for compute-intensive applications where many memory accesses are required, you get about a 20% boost from the wide (64-bit) memory accesses.

The 64 bit versions can run 32-bit applications, but the 32-bit version cannot run 64-bit applications.

In addition, the 32-bit version is limited to a maximum of 3.4GB main memory (due to the fact that Intel architecture computers memory-map some I/O devices), so if you have 4GB main memory, it’s like .6GB just plain vanished (cannot be used). The 64-bit OS does not have this limitation due to the 48-bit (minimum) hardware memory address space — that means that you can shove up to 128GB main memory into your computer (if it can take it) before taking the .6GB hit. For someone with 4GB main memory, the 64-bit OS is just the ticket, especially if your machine comes with a memory mapped graphics adapter; you get all four gigabytes to use, and then you subtract the chosen memory mapped graphics adapter sizing, rather than subtracting 64MB-256MB from 3.4GB.

Again, if you are browsing the web, it doesn’t matter, but if you are using Photoshop, it does. I also expect that game companies will shortly be requiring 64 bit OSs for their games — games are the ultimate resource hogs in every direction.

The disadvantage is that there aren’t as many (legacy) devices supported by 64-bit Windows versions, but since you have a Dell, you can easily figure out using your 6-digit S/N what went into your computer and whether Dell supports running a 64-bit OS on your machine with 64-bit device drivers.

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM

I’m already running W7 Ultimate. Awesome!

jedijson on October 13, 2009 at 10:15 AM

Did anybody start using the test of Windows 8? I heard it’s better than Windows 7.

jay12 on October 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Umm, is this something that I can click on if I go to support.dell.com?

Interesting that I didn’t know that 32 Vista maxed out before 4 gigs of RAM. I just checked the copy of my Dell order from last spring. I did have them put in a 4 gig Ram chip (1 DIMM)so I have space there to add RAM later.

When you get Windows 7, do you have to purchase 32bit or 64 bit off the top?

I send files to people who still have office 2003 installed. The operating system has not bearing on their ability to open files as long as they have the 2007 compatibility download, correct?

I am sorry to ask dumb questions, but I am so busy getting a start up company off the ground, I don’t have extra brain cells to spend on the details of my techie stuff, and I have an engineering degree!! (obviously not a EE or computer engineer major!!)

karenhasfreedom on October 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Question – does Windows 7 use less memory when you’re playing games? Vista is always wanting to do something when I’m in a raid.

hawksruleva on October 13, 2009 at 12:05 PM

Ever since I found out Gates is a moonbat my price range is $0-$20

Alexey on October 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM

When you get Windows 7, do you have to purchase 32bit or 64 bit off the top?

karenhasfreedom on October 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

From what I can tell, the DVDs include both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions. I guess you must choose which you want during install. See here: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=1101

I think your Office 2003 people should be fine.

kc8ukw on October 13, 2009 at 1:08 PM

I’ll wait for Windows 7 SP3 to come out. Most of the bugs will be worked out by then.

BobOfTexas on October 13, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I’ll upgrade when I buy a new computer that comes with Windows 7 pre-installed. Right now Windows XP runs everything I want to run and I’m in no hurry to repeat my experiences from trying to upgrade to Vista.

Rip Ford on October 13, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Win 7 Ultimate 32bit test copy has been on my computer (5yr-old laptop with an AMD 1.8 ghz processor and 1GB Ram) for over a month. I was thinking it would bog down my old machine, but I was amazed when I did a clean install that I didn’t have to manually load my drivers – it found all of them, even my old modem, lan, and wireless! I’m running Vista on some of our office machines and have had a lot of problems with them losing the lan connection and occasionally locking up. My old machine is running Win7 seamlessly (just as I was thinking of jumping ship and high-tailing it to Mac).

The secret will be for those who do order Win7 to do a CLEAN INSTALL. Back up all files and drivers to an external drive. Pop in the cd, reboot and follow instructions. They’ve made it really easy for tech-peasants like me.

DeoGratias on October 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Snow Leopard on the iMac, Snow Leopard on the Mac Book Pro, Red Hat Linux on the PC. Oh, and the iMac duals boots to XP for the ONE piece of software that I can’t get for Mac. I haven’t had a crash in over three years.

********SHAMELESS PLUG FOR MAC********

oldleprechaun on October 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I have been running UBUNTU 9.04 Linux for the last 6 months and I do not even remember Windows constant issues with file systems and registry corruptions and reboots.

I have not had a single problems, the software loaded on a X86 machine with 1MB of main memory and it runs like the wind. No viruses. Its free. I cannot understand why anyone would use Windows.

NortonPete on October 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM

Umm, is this something that I can click on if I go to support.dell.com?

Try http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&cs=2684&docid=360683&l=en&s=pub

If your machine is on the list, you are good to go.

For more helpful info go to http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/win7_support/win7_portal?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&~ck=anavml

If good, after entering 7-digit service tag code (I said 6, but I was wrong), click support. It should show an approximate picture of your computer, and you can then query via “Original System Configuration” what Dell thinks they shipped to you. If all looks right, go back to support screen and click “Downloads & Drivers”. The first line should be a pulldown menu labelled “Operating System”.

To find out, you do the system properties thing (left click start, right click “My Computer”, left click “Properties”) and look at what XP tells you is your ram. On my work HP laptop w/4GB main memory, XP tells me I have 3.0GB.

You did good to get the single DIMM, but I wouldn’t wait too long before getting its mate. Technology is changing fast enough that when you finally decide to get it, it will be expensive again.

When you get Windows 7, do you have to purchase 32bit or 64 bit off the top?

I don’t know, but the .iso files I downloaded for Win7 7600 eval were individual x64 and x86 .isos.

karenhasfreedom on October 13, 2009 at 11:57 AM

Hopefully the above is helpful.

unclesmrgol on October 13, 2009 at 7:54 PM

For some reason, I can’t get my Mac to load Hotair, so I have to use the PC.

nelsonknows on October 14, 2009 at 12:25 AM