Fox News: WH told us last week Obama won’t do any interviews with us this year; Update: Nixonian?

posted at 4:53 pm on October 12, 2009 by Allahpundit

What’s the significance of this, aside from it being your daily reminder that Wallace was right? Go watch the clip of Anita Dunn whining on CNN or just skip ahead here to 2:25. Kurtz specifically asked her whether The One would sit for an interview with one of Fox’s news shows this year. Her weaselly response was to say that he would — eventually — while neglecting to mention one tiny fact revealed below by Rosen: She’d already given Fox a hard no for the remaining three months of this year and pretty obviously didn’t want to acknowledge it on CNN lest it show just how petty The One is. In fact, so coincidental is Kurtz’s question in hindsight that I wonder if some Foxie didn’t tip him to the freeze-out before the interview so that he could put her on the spot about it. Although if that were true, why didn’t he follow up and reveal the freeze-out when she declined to do so?

As for Rosen’s assertion that no administration officials have done Fox News Sunday since last August, I’m assuming he meant this August. Gibbs appeared on the show in late July, although maybe Rosen was referring to policymakers/cabinet officials, not the White House press department. Wallace did interview Geithner just a few days ago, but that was for an event at the Newseum, not for FNS. Who knows if the White House knew who the interviewer would be.

Exit question: Did Roger Ailes slip Axelrod a briefcase full of money or something at that tete-a-tete last month in return for his promise to keep demagoging FNC? Being number one on the White House enemies list must be worth millions in free publicity. Click the image to watch.

Update: Ed sends along this piece from lefty TV critic David Zurawik, daring to invoke the specter of the jowled one to express his contempt for Dunn and Obama.

I have been writing for several months about how thin skinned the White House has been about press criticism — especially when it comes to the Fox News Channel. I have compared the current administration to the White House of Richard Nixon and Spiro Agnew, and believe me, I did not do that lightly. Nixon-Agnew was a very dark time for the First Amendment…

This campaign by the Obama administration is dangerous to press freedom, and it should concern everyone in the press, not just Fox. If you want to get a sense of little regard Team Obama has for the press in general, check out this “Time” magazine article. You have to wonder who else is on this administration’s enemies list.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

All the liberal trolls seem to be hiding…they have been very quite the past few days….not a good time to be liberal.

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM

The President of the United States is a big fat coward.

Terrye on October 12, 2009 at 6:16 PM

The President of the United States is a big fat coward.
He’s not that fat.

rjoco1 on October 12, 2009 at 6:20 PM

The One has a weakness.

Let us now exploit it to full effect!

ThePrez on October 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

You need the Pat Caddell clip from Beck tonight as an update to this, or its own post. Apparently he was the youngest person to show up on the Nixon enemies list, and now he’s found himself an enemy of the new administration as well.

It’s gotta be interesting to be that guy, and literally have your entire worldview flipped upside down.

BadgerHawk on October 12, 2009 at 6:27 PM

This guy is the Barney Fife of politics. He’s afraid of his own shadow. No wonder AQ, Taliban, NK, Iran, Khaddafi etc. have caught their second wind. God help us!

rjoco1 on October 12, 2009 at 5:13 PM

I dunno – I’ve been watching Andy Griffith reruns lately, and it seems to me that Barney was able to man up occasionally. At least he was truthful and a good friend.

Mommynator on October 12, 2009 at 6:33 PM

I’m sorry but this, as most of Barry’s brilliant decisions have, will backfire on him. People don’t like suppression, and people don’t like seeing thier President whine like a four year old. I see people tuning in to see what it’s all about, AND it’s rare that FOX is caught making a mistake; they just tell it like it is, instead of how Barry likes to pretend it is.

anniekc on October 12, 2009 at 6:34 PM

Mr. President, when you were a professor of law at the University of Chicago, did you mind being challenged by your students? Or did the “A”s go only to those in your classes who agreed with you?

radjah shelduck on October 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

radjah shelduck on October 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

So what’s different about a student and every other worthless lefty, “I can’t do it so I’ll teach it” professor?

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Great James Rosen video, thanks.

saus on October 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM

Obama is like Tom Brady looking for yellow flag after the mean old middle linebacker gave him a dirty look. Barack the people of this country are the refs and so far they ain’t buying it. Keep it up an you will be the one getting the flag for delay of game.

Just A Grunt on October 12, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I think this is great for a couple reasons. First, it isn’t going to work. Fox is going to pull better ratings from this, and it doesn’t help Obama either. It makes him look petty. Second, I like the security of knowing he won’t be on there. I could turn it to CBS, NBC, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, ESPN, Food Network, PBS…..and Obama will be there for me if I want to hear from him. So he’s saturated the airwaves to such an extent that I don’t think anyone is going to be all that affected by it if they want to have a war with Fox.

It is ironic that these are people that struggle to condemn real enemies out there in the world, but don’t have any problem speaking out against a center-right media outlet in very strong, clear, straightforward language.

stldave on October 12, 2009 at 6:59 PM

I’m pretty confident that at this point in time, Fox isn’t too concerned by this. When the administration turns from mere whiner to attempted silencer, THEN Fox will have reason for concern. But for now, keep digging Obama–rock bottom’s out there somewhere.

johnny alpha on October 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM

Mmmm….Mmmmm…Mmmmm…
I agree with a couple of the other comments – thank goodness we have one channel that is Obama-free viewing. When Bush was president, many liberals said he wasn’t their president. I am beginning to feel the same way about The Won. By boycotting FoxNews, The Won is in effect saying to a whole segment of the U.S. population (Fox viewers) that he is not interested in them. So, I guess he is not my president.

bamagirl on October 12, 2009 at 7:17 PM

I started watching FOX along with CNN to get a different perspective and because of the “cotton candy” local news. I can’t say I find their news programs skewed to right or left. When I saw O’Reilly rip into Barney Frank, I was hooked. When the White House got on Limbaugh I started to give his show a listen. I was hooked. This W H administration is just too whiny for words. Gibbs just wishes he could speak for 10 minutes with as much authority. LOL

elclynn on October 12, 2009 at 7:19 PM

“— it’s Us against Them.”

That quote was from the Time article for those of you who couldn’t be bothered….

Like it or not, it exposed the Fascist thinking of Teh Gelding and his Administration.

…Oops!

Seven Percent Solution on October 12, 2009 at 7:22 PM

What the New York Times dubbed Nixon’s “enemies list” was a handful of people he wouldn’t invite to parties. Of course every President had one of those.

Barak Hussien Obama is personally attacking an entire news network.

That doesn’t really compare at all.

logis on October 12, 2009 at 7:24 PM

Pfffft. It’s not like Fox needs an Obama appearance for ratings.

ddrintn on October 12, 2009 at 4:58 PM

+++

lovingmyUSA on October 12, 2009 at 7:26 PM

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM

As usual, the point of the article flew right over your pointed, little, head…

lovingmyUSA on October 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I love the expression on KP’s face during the last 5 seconds of her clip. Not to mention that whole “searching for the right words but you can’t because it’s so unbelievable, so you end up stammering” thing at the very end.

lol

cranbone on October 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM

right2bright on October 12, 2009 at 6:14 PM

Well yes, it has been rather more pleasant and polte of late hasn’t it? However not all has been quiet on Leftern front, Afrolib was out and about day before yesterday, and sexion was spewing his usual vtriolic diatribes last night.

But all-in-all the leftist counter punching has been without a certain vigour recently.

Archimedes on October 12, 2009 at 7:38 PM

As usual, the point of the article flew right over your pointed, little, head…

lovingmyUSA on October 12, 2009 at 7:34 PM

Let’s see…the right hates Obama, Fox is the only fair station that asks tough questions, he’s a cry-baby, fox has the ratings…yada yada…MSNBC…yada yada…I GET IT. I don’t believe I missed the point. If someone gives you there ass to kiss everytime you come to their house, you would stop coming by too. Stop crying folks, you guys sound like a Fox News cult, scary.

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

radjah shelduck on October 12, 2009 at 6:37 PM

Jeff from WI on October 12, 2009 at 6:43 PM

Jeff please hold your fire there a little willya, I just went back to U of I inpursuit of a post grad degree, so let’s hold off on the Iraqi-Death-Blossom syndrome just yet.

And to the commentor he was responding to, grades are most definately passed acccording to ideology, by ALL profs not just prof Obama. In order to chase a grade I am required to spew leftist bullshit, the HA threads are my after-action PTSD therapy if you will.

Archimedes on October 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I don’t believe I missed the point.

Then your delusional.

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

You got it backwards. Obama expects you kiss his ass every time he goes to your house. If you don’t, he gets all wee-weed up. Haven’t you noticed? He hates a good debate. He wants fawning and adoration, nothing less.

Phil-351 on October 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Good.

Dave R. on October 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM

Kirsten Powers got exactly the guy she voted for. Nothing changed from the beginning of his candidacy until now. Therefore, she should quit whining about the whining.

I’m sure she knew in the bottom of her heart that this was the most inexperienced and unaccomplished guy ever to run for the office, but she got caught up in the Hope and Change Fever — the tingle in the leg was too much.

When he goes to Oslo to accept his Nobel and give his fancy iSpeech, It’ll be Kirsten’s vote that sent him there.

unclesmrgol on October 12, 2009 at 8:00 PM

Phil-351 on October 12, 2009 at 7:55 PM

I could of sworn that’s what I just explained. “Obama’s a cry-baby”, Fox is the victim, I GET IT. I didn’t miss a thing. Fox News has such a brilliant marketing/brainwashing scheme going on. How can you lose when your viewers worship you? How can you lose when your viewers watch, not to be informed, but for comfort. It sells itself. Fox is on your side! The administration and liberal MSM and it’s puny ratings are the Devil!….stay with us, lol. Brilliant!

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

No narcissistic supply from FOX then no interviews. Man Child.

Buckeye Babe on October 12, 2009 at 8:08 PM

The White House wants to shut you out because you speak truth to power.

Mojave Mark on October 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I don’t think this is just a war on Fox but a warning to all the other news networks…toe the line or this could happen to you. Sooner or later some of them will have to stand up, and it’s already started with the comments about the Nobel prize. Well, except for NBC/MSNBC, who would just say “thank you sir, can I have another.”

Deanna on October 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Archimedes on October 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

Ahem. I’ve taught classes in programming, and I’ve never given a grade based on a student’s political leanings — even when I knew them and they were opposite mine. Hell, I’ve taught Communists how to program and a few actually got As.

What’s amusing is that righty professors are never brought into the dock by students accusing them of giving bad grades based on ideology, while lefties often are. I think we are better able to containerize the politics — either that or our numbers in the faculty are so small as to not matter in this measure. That righties seem to have such a small number in the faculty is perhaps another indication of how personally lefties take their politics; once lefties control a department, only lefties become tenured. It’s like dominant vs. recessive — leftie “take no prisoners” behavior is “domininant” in this fashion.

unclesmrgol on October 12, 2009 at 8:39 PM

It smells like some haters in here, lol. Doesn’t this work out for you guys?

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 6:04 PM

It’s the electronics in your computer — or perhaps the oil on your keyboard.

unclesmrgol on October 12, 2009 at 8:42 PM

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

I wouldn’t dignify them by equating them to the Devil. The Devil is smart, and knows how to turn even those who desire to be good into bad. So I’d call them be-Deviled, not the Devil himself, because they aren’t smart enough to be the Devil.

As for ratings — that’s objective, not subjective, and here are the numbers:

P2+ Prime Time
FNC – 2,562,000 viewers
CNN—967,000 viewers
MSNBC –1,283,000 viewers
CNBC – 246,000 viewers
HLN – 900,000 viewers

Or, if the above nielson numbers for 12 JAN 2009 (before Fox really took off) doesn’t mean anything to you, perhaps this little gem from the LA Times will.

Stony, we’re not whining — that’s the White House’s job. If the White House wants to play hard to get with Fox, that’s fine, but it’s also Fox’s right to call him on it, and our right to comment favorably on that calling. Personally, if I were Fox News, I’d prop up a cardboard cutout of Obama in the chair and ask it hard questions. Then I’d have the cardboard cutout answer back “As I’ve always told you, yes I can.”

And you can call us on it, but do we really care about how some guy who usurps his unit’s call sign for this kind of stuff feels? I guess I do, minimally, or I wouldn’t have called you on this.

unclesmrgol on October 12, 2009 at 8:57 PM

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

Fox isn’t a victim. Obama’s future is. Fox has more viewers on a 3am show than CNN has at primetime. I’m not concerned with Fox in the least.

But Obama’s poll numbers keep dropping. And as it does, he’s willing to do more and more desperate things thinking he can pull those up. In his liberal-diseased mind, spending is saving, delay and debate is decisive military action, and constant campaigning is leadership. The economy will remain stagnate and jobless numbers will not improve. I shudder to think what we’ll do then. Especially if ObamaCare and Cap-n-Trade collapse.

Phil-351 on October 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM

Deanna on October 12, 2009 at 8:21 PM

What, their ratings could double too?

Oh noes!!!

Seriously if the liberal media were capable of taking the hint about what “perils” awaited them if they accidently took a position that wasn’t wildly leftist, they’d have done so a very long time ago.

logis on October 12, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Actually, that’s one of the reasons I watch FoxNews. Now if they’d just get rid of Geraldo and Shep Smith.

darwin-t on October 12, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Allah, I think you got your scare quotes wrong. This should be:

check out this Time magazine “article”.

It’s nothing more than an opinion piece masquerading as a news bite. Let’s show how brave The One’s administration is being in taking on the surly press.

nukemhill on October 12, 2009 at 9:33 PM

but but but…Fox News is RAAAAAAACIST!

Knott Buyinit on October 12, 2009 at 9:42 PM

He’s wee weed up now isn’t he…

Rockygold on October 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Archimedes on October 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM

I always amused myself by trying to write papers that passed the superficial scrutiny of the professors, but were actually contrary to their point of view; styled, in my own feeble way, after Shostakovich.

mr.blacksheep on October 12, 2009 at 10:07 PM

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Must be a product of the public school system: at the first bold it’s wrong, and the second bold, it’s right. Additionally, ‘Fox’ is not capitalized at one point, it’s ‘every time’, not ‘everytime’, poor sentence structure, should be a semi-colon after ‘Stop crying, folks’ (oh, yeah: and a comma missing, too)…too many errors to count, eh?

HAnthonyWayne on October 12, 2009 at 10:13 PM

All the Taliban needs to do now is to demand that Obama go on FoxNews

J_Crater on October 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM

Obama won’t do any interviews with Fox News?

What a surprise!

If Obama and his chronies had any balls I would expect them to appear on Fox news, the station with the largest listening and viewing audience of all Cable News, and the station which actually doe present both sides.

No. Obama and his devotees betray their cowardice, weakness, and lack of depth.

They are without merit and should never have been elected, and this reinforces that fact quite clearly.

William2006 on October 12, 2009 at 10:31 PM

He’s wee weed up now isn’t he…

Rockygold on October 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM

Ha, ha, ha!

Maybe Obama and his devotees fear FOX News because they are afraid they will be so afraid while on the show that he will wee wee his pants out of fear!

The interview should be called “Fear!”

“Ladies and gentlemen … you’ve thought about it. You’ve imagined it. You expected it. Now, you can experience it!

Smell the FEAR.

Smell the wee wee.

Smell the terrors as Obama appears on FOX News for a fair and balanced interview, rather than a fawning worship-adoration-devotion service.

Watch the Interview “Fear” at FOX News … on (Date and Time here.)

Of course that will not happen.

Obama and his devotees will engineer things so FOX News only asks tailor made questions, or they will be threatened and bullied by Ram Emmanuel and other Obama “soldiers,” to ensure that FOX News obeys and bows before Obama, Lord of the Universe, Savior of Mankind, the Messiah.

William2006 on October 12, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Why keep inviting administration officials to appear on Fox’s news show? Why give them the power to refuse? If they don’t want to appear on the network with the largest audience, piss on ‘em.

Zoltan on October 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Obama, come out to play-i-ay. (while clinking bottles together)
O-ba-ma, come out to play-i-ay.
O–ba–ma, come out to play-i-ay.

J_Crater on October 12, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Obama and his minions are just upset that their little boycott of Fox isn’t hurting Fox’s ratings. Quite the opposite, probably. It seems that Teh One is becoming ratings poison.

ddrintn on October 12, 2009 at 11:46 PM

StoneKrab on October 12, 2009 at 8:03 PM

More projection. As if the function of Matthews, Olbermann, Schultz, Maddow, Cooper and Blitzer is to “inform”. Gimme a break.

ddrintn on October 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM

Zoltan on October 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM

Right On!!!!!

What the heck … they are losers, wimpy cowards, little sissy girls with no balls and no backbone.

Piss on ‘em!

They don’t deserve the respect extended to them, for they are cowardly, deceptive, confused fools who have no idea what they are doing, but they are too busy faking their way through it and trying to indict any truth tellers and whistle blowers, rather than protect and serve the citizens of the USA.

William2006 on October 13, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I remember O’Reilly getting some heat for failing to ‘nail’ Obama in their interview. Yet he whines. Or sends his minions out to do it.

wkgdyw on October 13, 2009 at 12:29 AM

They will take any small thing and distort it.” In other words, after eight months at the White House, the days of nonpartisan harmony are long gone — it’s Us against Them. And the Obama Administration is playing to win.

Whom are they fooling? This WH was never “nonpartisan”. Liars! What fools rule this great land. They must be ridiculed. It’s the only thing they get, and it gets under their thin skin and into their dove brains.

Schadenfreude on October 13, 2009 at 12:36 AM

Question: If the one and his cronies think that there is an issue with fox news then why doesn’t the one go on there and confront them about? It’s what a real leader would do, either that or shut up about (and those that represent him) Is he scared of fox? And if so, is that fear because he knows that they know what is really going on and would crush him?

Answer: The one is not now, nor will he ever be, a leader. He is terrified of fox because, yes, they would crush him and show him for the buffoon he really is.

skeedro on October 13, 2009 at 1:23 AM

Just replace him with a graphic of an asterisk. How can they possibly think that hiding from Fox is going to help him? He looks like a coward, and it reinforces the comparisons to Carter. Remember the Rose Garden strategy?

I think Obama has been on TV too much anyway, so I see this as another reason to watch Fox.

flataffect on October 13, 2009 at 2:38 AM

The middle will only start to worry when Obama closes the golf courses.

davod on October 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM

This is great theater. Here the ‘One’ will not speak with anyone associated with FOX network. On the other hand (lawyer speak), the “Real One” considers it a civic duty to sit down and be grilled by the ‘Today’ tome.

MSGTAS on October 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM

When Obama has a press conference and FNC covers it. I change the channel and watch a movie until it’s over anyway. FNC Finally!!!!!… Obama Free.

Scorp3j on October 13, 2009 at 12:38 PM

Yes, the tears are flowing here in my house because Obama won’t go on Fox News…or maybe not. I’m one of the ones who changes the channel when Mr. President comes on. Why should I stay? I’ve heard everything he is going to say at least twice before. Life is too short to waste time in an echo chamber.

jakev on October 13, 2009 at 3:58 PM

The question was asked above “why does Fox keep inviting administration officials on?” The people ar Fox have known for a long time that leftists want them off the air, and will do anything they have the power to do in order to achieve this goal.

It’s just a matter of time before the leftists actually have this power, but may need popular support to do something so totally against everything this country stands for.

I submit that the pretext the leftists will use is unfolding before our eyes, that being “Fox won’t tell obama’s side of the story so they are outside the bounds of the public good”.

We all know Fox keeps inviting these people on, but as long as these people keep saying they don’t get invited, and the evidence that they haven’t been on is so persistent (because they refuse to show up, not because they weren’t invited), they can sell this to an obviously gullible public.

No matter how loudly Fox insists it has invited them on to defend their positions, obama merely needs to insist they didn’t. With the rest of the state run media echoing it, the public will believe whatever they are told to believe. This is how it has worked in every single totalitarian takeover in history, and obama’s puppetmasters know it.

runawayyyy on October 13, 2009 at 4:51 PM