Video: SNL’s pitiful Obama Nobel sketch

posted at 2:15 pm on October 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Awful on its own terms but doubly awful when you compare it to some of the one-liners fired off by amateurs on Twitter after the news broke. (Karl, in fact, nailed the Powerball joke more than 24 hours before this aired.) Even in the show’s diminished state, it’s hard to believe a team of pros couldn’t do better. I can only assume they felt remorse after the media fed The One a crap sandwich over last week’s bit and decided to pull their punches for him this time.

If the writing’s going to be weak then the impersonation has to be superb, which is pretty much the opposite of Armisen these days. There are a million good black comics out there; Lorne Michaels can’t find one who can do a solid Obama impression and make him a featured player? He’s got every incentive: Not only would the political skits sharpen up, but he’d have another option besides Kenan Thompson in his otherwise ultra-white cast for roles requiring a black actor. It took me five minutes of Googling to find the Marlin Hill clip embedded below. Start writing up a contract, Lorne.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Didn’t click.
Did Odumba$$ win something else? Why don’t they award the sissy crybaby every award in the world.
He is already a Queen in my books.

Old Texan on October 11, 2009 at 2:20 PM

I waisted minutes of my life tuning in to the garbage that is SNL. NBC is going downhill.
BTW, I saw a commercial during the Giants game, Tina Fey will be on Letterman’s show this week. I wonder what these two pathetic losers are going to talk about… oh right, Sarah Palin.

cubachi on October 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM

NBC got the phone call and email Chris Wallace was talking about.

ctmom on October 11, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I was more bothered by the obnoxious clapping right after he said “I won this for not being George Bush.” Then I marveled they still have a studio audience, because who would pay for this lameness?

Emily M. on October 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM

LAME!

ArmyAunt on October 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM

That Marlin Hill guy sounds just like Obama.I’m surprised we haven’t seen more this guy.

vcferlita on October 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Yea I was following the original twitters, they were hilarious. This is like a veggie plate with no dip.

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM

I really don’t know why they let Armisen do these sketches, they’re terrible. He neither looks nor sounds like Obama. It’s like he’s decided that he’s not even going to try and to rely on the quality of the material instead, which isn’t really up to much as it is.

Sharke on October 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Sounds an awful lot like quotas to me.

Trent1289 on October 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Thanks for the warning brave ones so I did not waste a minute of my life on Pinnochio worshipers and leg tinglers.

dhunter on October 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM

The only laughter in the SNL skit came for the Bush line. (Guess that never gets old to leftwing nutjobs.)

You’re right, Allah. Marlin Hill is way better than the SNL clown.

NebCon on October 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM

They bomb it on purpose. They’re scared.

the_nile on October 11, 2009 at 2:28 PM

I guess if they had a black man playing Mr. Obama and then said something that was less then worshipful it might be racist or something.

Cindy Munford on October 11, 2009 at 2:28 PM

cubachi on October 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM

He’s running out on assistants?..

the_nile on October 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Allah,
Please dont be so hard on SNL.. especially when you consider the fact the Lorne Michaels was campaigning for Obama two years back during Halloween ( remember the skit where Obama comes to the Halloween party in an Obama mask while Amy Poehler who played Hillary and Darrell Hammond playing Bill were all in fake costumes?)

Last week they already called him out for doing “jack and squat” on their far left libreal laundry list – what more do you want or expect ?

Reminder – Barack Obama is their man and they promoted him heavily over Hillary.. they made Palin look like a fool by bringing BACK Tina Fey who had long ago left the show..

This is nothing more than friendly fire and your “disappointment” quite frankly is naive for a New Yorker.

nagee76 on October 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Is it just me, or is leftwing “super-clever, super-informed, super-hip predictable political commentary” really tiresome these days? It’s just running out of steam.

Your sh*t is tired, SNL. That was awful.

Good Lt on October 11, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Paul Shanklin sounds just like Dear Leader.

Dingbat63 on October 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM

SNL has run its course. Same with Letterman. Enough already, it’s like someone wrote in a column the other day about the Simpsons having a cartoon character who’s been in the fourth grade for over a decade.

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM

The one-liners in the comments of the Stephanopoulos article are way, way better than the ones in the article itself.

ss396 on October 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Well at least “Alice” was funny.

Tony737 on October 11, 2009 at 2:32 PM

The “biggest bunch of crybabies” have spoken and the biggest bunch of cowards have listened.

redridinghood on October 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I actually stayed up last night to see what SNL was going to do…my expectations were really high…what a disappointment…Obama must have called Immelt and told him he could kiss his GE theft of American taxpayer dollars goodbye if they dared!

CCRWM on October 11, 2009 at 2:33 PM

cubachi on October 11, 2009 at 2:23 PM

Probably. I’d almost guarantee it. Letterman lost his shine a long time ago. It’s time to give some fresh new talent an opportunity. It’s like he’s just hogging the seat, it’s time to move on and give someone else a shot. Same with Leno.

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Sharke on October 11, 2009 at 2:26 PM

That is precisely why…

CCRWM on October 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM

My favorite from the HA comments (sorry I can’t give attribution) was the one that announced that Obama had beat out a Standard Poodle for the the Westminster Dog Show. There are so many parallels to the actual story that this one deserves “best in show” recognition.

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM

The Weekend update was much better.

Enoxo on October 11, 2009 at 2:39 PM

I think so too.

Go RBNY on October 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM

SNL has to play it a little careful just in case the Obama democrat/communists achieve their goal of a Marxist utopia.

SNL cast members do not want to be “disappeared”.

darwin on October 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM

I like the one about him winning Miss USA. But the Powerball one was good too!

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Teh Gelding…

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2009 at 2:41 PM

Hill ain’t much better at Obumbles.

More clipped, more stentorian, more faux bro.

I guess it takes someone who doesn’t grovel toward Barry to ream his ridiculousness with righteous risibility.

profitsbeard on October 11, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Obama better get some thick skin…the longer he goes without accomplishing anything (and getting awards for it) the worse it’s going to get. Well, maybe.

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM

They are deliberately doing a poor job because:

1) They are leftists.
2) They were heavily pressured by Axelrod & Co. to not touch him.

God, our POTUS is such an over-sensitive baby.

Sarah is gonna crush this guy in the general election in 2012. The issues will be Afghanistan and the economy (inflation/currency/debt/deficit/unemployment).

Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM

scalleywag on October 11, 2009 at 2:30 PM

SNL and Letterman have lost their edge. Back in the day, people watched SNL because it got right up to the edge of what was possible to put on the air. These days, basic cable has left that line far behind- leaving SNL to tell a bunch of pathetic political jokes based on ideology instead of lampooning public officials.

Conversely, Bart Simpson has been the same age for over a decade and they still can crank out a clever story (not so much as in years past but they haven’t resorted to the Marge is preggers plot line either). There is a lot of talent involved to make that happen.

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:37 PM

I’ll take the blame for that one.

(But you left out the “disappointed Dandy Dinmont” part of the jab, which I thought was more Barrylicious than a “suprised Standard Poodle“.)

;^)

profitsbeard on October 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Unfortunately for SNL and the left-leaning skitmeisters of the world, there’s no “edge” to their worldview now that it’s in power. And of course, you can’t really send up Obama because that would be sacrilege.

I never listened to Limbaugh that much before. Now I die laughing at his Obama send-ups. He’s the only one out there doing anything really funny in that vein.

J.E. Dyer on October 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM

They are deliberately doing a poor job because:

1) They are leftists.
2) They were heavily pressured by Axelrod & Co. to not touch him.

Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM

You forgot the most obvious. Really nailing Obama would immediately bring charges of racism and “wanting” the filthy lying coward to fail. Because of your reason #1, being called a racist is like garlic to a vampire (and no, I am not making a Ruth Bader Ginsberg comment).

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM

That skit didn’t come close to the threshhold of funny. They did it because they had to, but Armisen obviously doesn’t like mocking Obama. He isn’t even trying; he sounds like his own voice. Wig and the digital shirts are usually funny. Is there really a shortage of comedians and comedic writers? That’s rhetorical.

conservative pilgrim on October 11, 2009 at 2:49 PM

J.E. Dyer on October 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM

A classic Rush moment: Back in 1992 (I think it was for his television show) Rush showed up at the Democrat National Convention and was handing out Kool-aid to the delegates supporting Clinton. They didn’t get the allusion and a whole new term was coined for unthinking political loyalty.

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Yeah, I never watch SNL but I turned it on last night to see if they landed a good blow. Man was I disappointed.

My vote would have been for having Kayne West interupt his speech and say something about Ghandi deserving an award way more than Obama followed by Obama admitting to doing nothing and then refusing to give up the award anyway.

jhffmn on October 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Obama himself was funnier than the SNL dweeb.

His impresssion sounded more like W. than Hussein.

Awful. Just awful.

fogw on October 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM

Their heart’s not in it.

aengus on October 11, 2009 at 2:54 PM

profitsbeard on October 11, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Well bravo for the comparison even if I don’t get the disappointed Dandy Dinmont portion of it.

It’s just the whole idea of winning a competition in which you are utterly undeserving and not even on the radar of possible winners that won me over. Again, bravo!

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Bring back Mad TV and cancel SNL…

ninjapirate on October 11, 2009 at 2:55 PM

jhffmn on October 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Now that would have been funny!

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Twitter is a hive mind. It’s killing topical standup comedy; all the funny Obama / Nobel jokes were tweeted by 11am Friday.

ninjapirate on October 11, 2009 at 2:59 PM

SNL isn’t even trying to make fun of The One’s voice.

Speedwagon82 on October 11, 2009 at 3:00 PM

Barack Obama deserved the Nobel Prize for Chemistry and for Physics more than he deserved the Nobel Prize for Peace. Some of the “Stimulus” hundreds of billions might actually find there way to some Chemist or Physicist who could do something really big and so there would be at least some logic in giving Obama some credit. Also how about the Nobel Prize for Eonomics for all those gazzillions of jobs created or saved? There is no logic in the Peace Prize. Barack Obama has more troops in the combined Iraq/Afghanistan that when he took over from Bush. The Nobel Prize for War would make more sense.

MB4 on October 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Limbaugh?

Hey I became a suscriber just to look at him talk about this!

I just wish that on the SNL about Palin she shows up – NOT incognito, but “sketch crashes” in the middle of the skit. Priceless!

ProudPalinFan on October 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM

At least this signals that it is ok to mock The Whine now. Unless you believe that SNL is now on the side of the Taliban.

rbj on October 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM

SNL has no interest in doing a decent Obama impersonation. They simply had to spoof the Nobel Prize because it would have been too obvious if they didn’t so they take a shot at Bush and call it a day.

What about the one-liners fired off by us HA commentators? There was some great stuff posted on that first thread when the news broke. If I do say so myself, I think we’re pretty funny.

CarolynM on October 11, 2009 at 3:03 PM

I think the writers really DON’T KNOW how to be funny about Barack. They really cannot see the irony right in front of them. If their worst jab at Barack is that he hasn’t accomplished anything, then being lucky is just a non-sequitor. It wasn’t funny, and the audience’s silence confirms it. The writers don’t know how to write satire about Barack.

As a result, this sketch was painfully unfunny.
The Onion, by comparison, is running circles around SNL.

stevezilla on October 11, 2009 at 3:04 PM

jhffmn on October 11, 2009 at 2:50 PM

Yes! Now why can’t they think of something like that?

Alana on October 11, 2009 at 3:05 PM

MB4 on October 11, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Exactly! Chemistry and Physics were involved in the bombs Bill Ayers, Obama’s mentor, used to kill cops and otherwise wreak havoc. The Peace Prize is sorta the undeclared major entry where the winner doesn’t have to have any real talent as they do in science, math, or literature. If anything sums up the filthy lying coward in the White House is the fact that he isn’t really qualified to do anything but read from TOTUS.

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

There’s a guy here in Dallas that has been doing an Obama impersonation for a local Kia dealer’s commercials, ffs – and doing a really good job of it, lol.

By the way, if this SNL guy wanted to *really* get the impersonation down, he’d need to get the head-swiveling thing back and forth to imitate the inability to speak without a teleprompter.

Midas on October 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Emily M. on October 11, 2009 at 2:25 PM

Tickets to be in the studio audience are free.

slp on October 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM

It’s true, though. All the funniest stuff is dissected on Twitter within seconds. I was rolling laughing during the Nobel posts. The funniest part? When you post something and someone else posts the exact same thing at the exact same time. It is a hive mentality. A funny hive.
SNL sucks.
I’d pay to see Marlon Hill, though.

di butler on October 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM

No doubt, the network got the word from the White House to be more respectful to the Messiah.

The actor who plays Obama is pitifully inadequate anyway.

Lynn2008 on October 11, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Marlin’s “Wall Street instead of y’all’s street” was, by itself, funnier than SNL’s whole sketch. So glad I usually have better things to do with my late Saturday nights…

Machete_Bug on October 11, 2009 at 3:14 PM

That SNL skit was terrible.

p0s3r on October 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Could it be they have no black actors or actresses on the show because Lorne Michaels is a liberal, and they don’t believe blacks can be equal to whites? That would interfere with their Democratic party religion of Affirmative Action and treating blacks as oppressed. Can’t have that! That would evaporate the party base.

MeAlice on October 11, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Finally stability. SNL is back to being unfunny again.

RobCon on October 11, 2009 at 3:17 PM

Lorne Michaels will be the single biggest contributor to Palin 2012.

RobCon on October 11, 2009 at 3:18 PM

That was such a lame ass skit….I should have thought better of myself and not clicked.
S uicidal
N utty
L ibtards
I think they should have Alonzo from PJ to perform the Obummer skit…

hawkman on October 11, 2009 at 3:18 PM

This guy used to try to act like Barry. Now he just goes through the motions.

RobCon on October 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Maybe Jon Stewart will do one as funny as the ACORN sting bit.

Dingbat63 on October 11, 2009 at 3:19 PM

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

We should all petition the Nobel Committee to create a new Nobel Prize – one that Barack Obama actually deserves – The Nobel Prize for Synchronized Lying Dancing with a Teleprompter.

MB4 on October 11, 2009 at 3:21 PM

The Lame Lefty’s @ SNL are not funny because they are cowards. Now we know all that Speekin’ Troof to POWAH was just Lame BS like the idiot Peace activism. I’m still waiting for the cowardly Letterman, Mahar, SNL, etc. to produce a joke about the Muslim beheaders. I hope the day comes when these cowardly creeps have their own little face to face with the Islamic enemy.

el Vaquero on October 11, 2009 at 3:22 PM

Tickets to be in the studio audience are free.

slp on October 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM

They should all demand a $100 refund.

MB4 on October 11, 2009 at 3:24 PM

I guess Hill is no worse than the other duds on SNL right now.

RobCon on October 11, 2009 at 3:24 PM

As a fellow poster (name ??) said the other day, if you want to impersonate Obama, it’s…

David Brinkley, with a little faux bro thrown in on top.

TXUS on October 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM

That Marlin Hill was great, SNL should use him instead.

texasconserv on October 11, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Uh, APthe dude ain’t black!

corona on October 11, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Seriously lame, both the impression and the jokes, and it’s clear Armisen’s heart isn’t in it.
Either he can’t stand doing it anymore or he can’t stand the lame material. I think the later.
Step it up…or give it up.

Rocks on October 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Doesn’t GE own NBC? GE has no reason to skewer The One. They have invested alot of money in him and he is returning the favor.

I think Lorne Micheals knows very well what raxor sharp criticism on The One will reap and he does not have the guts to do it. The “First Black President” can’t, won’t shall not be a failure.

Theworldisnotenough on October 11, 2009 at 3:29 PM

Sssssh, you musn’t criticize the prissydent. It might hurt his wittle feewings.

Key West Reader on October 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Does anyone have a link to the Twitter feed or whatever it was re Obama winning?

CCRWM on October 11, 2009 at 3:30 PM

Oh…Kirsten Wiig is the only one worth a damn on the whole show anyway.

Rocks on October 11, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Marlin Hill sounds a little more like Obummer than the assclown on SNL but he wasn’t much funnier. Pretty much like comparing rotten peaches to rotten pears.

Percy_Peabody on October 11, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Obama is such a sorry, unique, character that no one comes close to lampooning him. Those cadences, oh, those cadences…However, he’s exposed. The Nobel committee just dotted the BIG I.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king’s horses,
And all the king’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty together again.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Exit question: where did Axelrod have coffee with Lorne Michaels this past week?

Returning to that coffee between Axelrod and Roger Ailes, I noticed something about Brett Baier’s Special Report in the past 10 days or so.

For a while after Baier succeeded Brit Hume, he continued to use Hume’s closing line: Fair, Balanced, and Unafraid.

Then, at some point Baier started using a different unmemorable closing line. But I could swear that within a day or two after it got out that Axelrod had had “coffee” with Ailes, Baier began using the Fair, Balanced, and Unafraid closing line again. He’s been using it ever since.

Anyone else notice that? See whether you notice half a sneer when Baier says “unafraid.” I’m dead serious. I think Fox News is doubling down on defiance.

Hey, O, The Audacity of Defiance.

BuckeyeSam on October 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

The last SNL skit that made me laugh was the Patrick Swayze/Chris Farley Chippendales dance-off. The odumbass piece was embarassingly bad.

txag92 on October 11, 2009 at 3:42 PM

I have to say it again… WHY does anyone watch that show? It hasn’t been funny since the third year it was on.

Warner Todd Huston on October 11, 2009 at 3:47 PM

SNL didn’t want to get fact checked by CNN again.

yoda on October 11, 2009 at 3:49 PM

I was also curious what they would do. I laughed the hardest at the line of using three of his most stupid companions for financial advice, but I laughed at the absolute silence from the audience. Obviously the SNL writers are blog followers so they knew about the Obama stupidities, but they forgot that NBC News hadn’t given their audience a clue.

Weekend Update was better? Too bad, I didn’t watch past the opening.

HotWeaver on October 11, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Felt remorse because in the culture they live in and work for, all their friends were probably berating them for busting the Ones holy nutsack. I’m sure they heard it from people once it was used by the vast right wing conspiracy.

Dash on October 11, 2009 at 3:51 PM

Or they were given a lot of sh*t by the WH.

misslizzi on October 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM

“Barack Obama deserved the Nobel Prize for Chemistry and for Physics more than he deserved the Nobel Prize for Peace”

Alchemist in Chief

davod on October 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 3:07 PM

Disagree. He’s damn good, almost perfect, when it comes to a few little things like…

• Emasculating our national security apparatus and military.

• Destroying job creation in the private sector while expanding the public sector.

• Taking over key industries — banking, auto manufacturing, and more to come.

• Bashing the USA, never once showing any pride for it, and apologizing while on foreign and domestic soil for anything even slightly or arguably bad that we may or may not have done.

• Bowing, literally and figuratively, before every despot in this and every other hemisphere.

• Degrading valid local law enforcement activities.

• Pushing healthcare and energy policies designed to completely gut our individual freedoms.
________

I could go on, but am getting angrier by the second.

TXUS on October 11, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Pulling the John McCain signs up for me!
-Marlin Hill.

Ya,no doubt,shades of Acorn’s handiwork!
This guy has all Obama’s mannerisms nailed,including the
side to side head be-bops,hehe!!

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 4:06 PM

After last weeks lame Obama joke, NBC was no doubt told they’re owned by Communist Electric, and they’d better keep it very mild and very unfunny.

Jeff from WI on October 11, 2009 at 4:07 PM

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king’s horses,
And all the king’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty together again.
Schadenfreude on October 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Schadenfreude: Fence Post Turtle does come to mind!:)

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM

The original cast was very good, after that, except for Eddie Murphy and the occasional Hartman, the show basically sucked except for a very, very few bits.

Jeff from WI on October 11, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Back during the primaries, Armisen did a much better Obama impersonation. He’s not even trying now.

Pablo on October 11, 2009 at 4:14 PM

Tickets to be in the studio audience are free.

slp on October 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Seriously?
Fine, I revise: Who would waste their time on this lameness?

Emily M. on October 11, 2009 at 4:16 PM

Well, Marlon Hill has the teleprompter neck thing down for sure..that would be the easiest thing for an “edgy” show like SNL to get down right away.

StevefromMKE on October 11, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Me thinks,the Czar of Politically Correct Humour from
Hopey/Changeys Ministry of Besmirchment and B*stardiz
ation of the WON,

will have Homeland Security now scrutenizing the comedians
who try to imatate Obama,and move them alongside with the
RightWingers,bitters,clingers,well,you get the idea!UGH!!

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 4:25 PM

I think it’s funny how Limbaugh thought that Bush should get the Peace Prize.

LOL

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

It’s called knowing who signs your paycheck and knowing your audience. SNL is more likely to do an “edgy” impersonation of Jesus Christ than of Obama, for obvious reasons.

Drained Brain on October 11, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Was that actually a comedy sketch? You’ll have to forgive me for wondering since I didn’t laugh or even smile once. And it’s not like last week’s skit was overly harsh on Obama. SNL could really go after this guy if they wanted to.

I don’t know what’s holding them back. It can’t just be ideology since they were more than willing to mock Clinton and Gore. And I’m hesitant to believe they’re fearful of being labeled racist since they’re ok with casting a white dude as the President.

As for Marlin Hill, that was a great impersonation. I loved the “Wall Street, y’all’s street” line.

Doughboy on October 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM