Video: SNL’s pitiful Obama Nobel sketch

posted at 2:15 pm on October 11, 2009 by Allahpundit

Awful on its own terms but doubly awful when you compare it to some of the one-liners fired off by amateurs on Twitter after the news broke. (Karl, in fact, nailed the Powerball joke more than 24 hours before this aired.) Even in the show’s diminished state, it’s hard to believe a team of pros couldn’t do better. I can only assume they felt remorse after the media fed The One a crap sandwich over last week’s bit and decided to pull their punches for him this time.

If the writing’s going to be weak then the impersonation has to be superb, which is pretty much the opposite of Armisen these days. There are a million good black comics out there; Lorne Michaels can’t find one who can do a solid Obama impression and make him a featured player? He’s got every incentive: Not only would the political skits sharpen up, but he’d have another option besides Kenan Thompson in his otherwise ultra-white cast for roles requiring a black actor. It took me five minutes of Googling to find the Marlin Hill clip embedded below. Start writing up a contract, Lorne.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Obama is such a sorry, unique, character that no one comes close to lampooning him. Those cadences, oh, those cadences…However, he’s exposed. The Nobel committee just dotted the BIG I.

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king’s horses,
And all the king’s men,
Couldn’t put Humpty together again.

Schadenfreude on October 11, 2009 at 3:40 PM

Bumpty Odumpty was deconstructed in an enlightened call
Bumpty Odumpty had a great fall
All the tyrants Axelrods and all the tyrants Rahm con men
Can’t put Bumpty Odumpty’s mask back on again

Cheshire Cat on October 11, 2009 at 4:29 PM

I think it’s funny how Limbaugh thought that Bush should get the Peace Prize.

LOL

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

I think it’s funny how you can type without a brain.

LOL.

fogw on October 11, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Second clip was funny. Nothing edgy but a funny impression. I won’t even click on the first clip.

Norbitz on October 11, 2009 at 4:41 PM

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Yeah…

Giving 50 million people the chance for the freedom you take for granted is just as honorable as reading someone else’s words on a teleprompter…

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I think it’s a question of most of the show already in hand by Friday and they having to improvise something at the very last minute.

My thoughts in slightly more detail here.

petertheslow on October 11, 2009 at 4:54 PM

I think it’s funny how Limbaugh thought that Bush should get the Peace Prize.

LOL

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Spathi: Hopey won the Noble Peace Prize because of Bush!

If there was no Bush,Obama would have no award!!

It is a strange,weird,world that Lefty’s have made
for themselves,getting awards they don’t deserve
and at the expense of others!!!

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM

Allah,
You Can’t possibly tell me those two clips are the best that can be had…
WTF…It would have been better NOT to do this thread …pathetic…

jerrytbg on October 11, 2009 at 4:58 PM

For an Obama impersonator, I nominate this guy….

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Wow. That sucked.

JeffinOrlando on October 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

It is a strange,weird,world that Lefty’s have made
for themselves,getting awards they don’t deserve
and at the expense of others!!!

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 4:55 PM

It is a strange,weird,world that Lefty’s have made
for themselves,getting REVENUEs they don’t deserve
and at the expense of others who EARN THEM!!!

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Personally,
I would have prefered to ridicule al gore…

jerrytbg on October 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM

It is a strange,weird,world that Lefty’s have made
for themselves,getting REVENUEs they don’t deserve
and at the expense of others who EARN THEM!!!

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Red State State of Mind: No Sh*t!!!!!!!!!:)

canopfor on October 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Yeah…

Seven Percent Solution on October 11, 2009 at 4:46 PM

Breaking News !!!

“N.O.W. to honor former President George W. Bush for his efforts that freed women and girls in Afghanistan from the repression of the Taliban.. Film at 11″

More Breaking News !!!!
“World Health Organization names Bush and Bono as co-recipients of the 2009 Humanitarian Award for their efforts to eradicate malaria and AIDS in Africa,,,”

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM

hey are deliberately doing a poor job because:
1) They are leftists.
2) They were heavily pressured by Axelrod & Co. to not touch him.
Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 2:43 PM

You forgot the most obvious. Really nailing Obama would immediately bring charges of racism and “wanting” the filthy lying coward to fail. Because of your reason #1, being called a racist is like garlic to a vampire (and no, I am not making a Ruth Bader Ginsberg comment).
highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:47 PM

It’s actually worse than that. Consider your previous excellent post.

SNL and Letterman have lost their edge. Back in the day, people watched SNL because it got right up to the edge of what was possible to put on the air. These days, basic cable has left that line far behind- leaving SNL to tell a bunch of pathetic political jokes based on ideology instead of lampooning public officials.

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 2:44 PM

That’s exactly right. And so they are afraid of targeting the ideology so they protect Obama from any characterizations. But in the effort to be so protective, they have chosen to “imitate” Barack Obama by using an actor whose only likeness appears to be the color of his skin!? WTF? And they can’t see how racist that is!? That is truly remarkable. Unbelievable really.
But consider Marlin Hill whose imitation was far better. He shows respect for Obama in his opening. And his imitation was therefore tasteful, and truthful. It was accurate. Hill is not afraid to playfully characterize the president with accuracy in his behaviors. That’s why he is not racist. But the SNL “paradoy”? Very racist in my opinion. And that is so incredibly ironic. It’s amazing that they can’t see that.

tartan on October 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 4:26 PM

Really, you need to stick to playing Star Control. You suck at living in the real world.

Spiritk9 on October 11, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Btw, please nominate Dear Leader for the Heisman too.. I did!

And dont forget to tell Bud Selig to give him the Cy Young for making that girly throw in the All Star Game, with Mom jeans gear and all.

nagee76 on October 11, 2009 at 5:32 PM

Dude a conservative oriented SNL would make a killing.

There are so many low hanging fruits, it’s just sad no one is plucking them. SNL is doing comedy a disservice.

jhffmn on October 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM

Like I am going to watch this. I hate to tell Allah this, but more often than not I just do not watch these clips. If I really wanted to see SNL, I would have watched it Saturday Night.

Terrye on October 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Truly some lameass stuff.

Do people still watch this?

Lonetown on October 11, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Spathi:

Yeah, what a hoot.Bush getting the peace prize for shutting down the Kahn network and liberating 50 million people. Imagine that.

I suppose you think we should have given it to the kook Ron Paul. Now, that is funny.

In fact Ron Paul is so much the opposite of Bush that if he had been President on 9/11, he would have apologized to the murderers. ha ha ha.

Terrye on October 11, 2009 at 5:39 PM

I can forgive SNL for being liberal. I can forgive it for often being crude. But I decided a long time ago that I can’t forgive that show for failing to be funny. It hasn’t been funny in years. How come no one talks about that? They have one job: be funny. And they’ve failed at it for years and years and years. They have a lot of talent, and almost no censorship. They should be funny as hell. SNL is probably one of the main reasons most people agree that liberals have no sense of humor. It just isn’t funny. I can’t forgive that. I refuse to watch “comedy” that is so poorly crafted it lacks humor. I demand humor in my comedy.

Rational Thought on October 11, 2009 at 5:41 PM

tartan on October 11, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Bah. Paradoy isn’t even a word. I only meant imitation.

tartan on October 11, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Why not just put a cardboard cut out of zer0bama up there?

SouthernGent on October 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM

jhffmn on October 11, 2009 at 5:35 PM

I suppose that’s what I was leaning toward when I spoke of Crowder, ZO and Sigler doing a FN show in late night a few months ago….
I think it would be a giant killer…

jerrytbg on October 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

In my mind, Fridays (late 70s/early 80s) did the best skits. When Fridays was on the air, I watched it whenever I could, and only watched SNL once in a while. Fridays was hilarious, even when they skewered my man Ronald Reagan. Some of their best skits was with 3rd party candidate, John Anderson. A jolly 3-way lampoon.

AH_C on October 11, 2009 at 5:56 PM

I aree! After the news broke…people had the best comments on Facebook…Twitter..and different blogs! SNL is just Not funny…it was actually painful to watch. Every skit after it was just as bad.

They must believe the average young adult/adult is a nitwit!

vitaatcaritas on October 11, 2009 at 5:57 PM

I think it would be a giant killer…

jerrytbg on October 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM

Along those lines, FOX should consider a Saturday night alternative to SNL, Letterman, et al at 1130 ET. Either have a live edition of Red Eye on at that time slot, or put together a satirical show using the abundance of talent in the New Media.

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Why not just do a kicka*s skit poking fun at CNN’s fact-checking SNL’s previous lame attempt at humor the previous week?

I think I could write these skits.

Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 6:01 PM

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 5:58 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

A new SNL with great backing and rippingly hilarious stuff that would have Axelrod in Ailes smiling face every week.

Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

I agree with others — they are cowards. This was easy stuff to parody.

Mr. D on October 11, 2009 at 6:06 PM

Why haven’t Bush and Chener congratulated Obama yet?

They seem like sore losers. Even McCain congratulated Obama but not Bush.

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Spathi:

You do not know what you are talking about. Did Bush congratulate Carter and Gore? Who knows and who cares?

Terrye on October 11, 2009 at 6:18 PM

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Congratulate him for what, exactly?

Phoenician on October 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM

If there was no Bush,Obama would have no award!!

George W. Bush created Barack Obama. Sounds sweet huh?

I remembered this morning, again, the sheer magnitude of Obama’s… shadowness (shadows appear larger than life, but aren’t real and shrink in direct sunlight). His water carriers in the media have yelped incessantly about mandates and significance and how we’re now a center-left country, snore…

King Barry the Hopeful pulled in with a 7.2% popular vote margin of victory (68% electoral). It’s a big-ish number (25th out of 56 Presidential elections electorally), until you consider the gale force wind at his back:
a) his “opponent,” Joker McCain and the Incredible Polarizing woman, were supported by their incompetent band of merry campaigning jokesters
b) His near 100% carrying of the African American demographic (any time you can carry 97% of any demographic, that’s a HUGE advantage
c) The incredibly hostile (to Republicans) political climate inspired by 8 years of one of the least popular Presidents EVAH
d) The mid-campaign meltdown of the U.S. Economy that Obie Wan could pin almost entirely on “8 years of failed economic policy,” blah blah blah
e) Did I mention Bumbles McCain’s horrible, terrible, no good, very bad, run at it?

Don’t get me wrong, 9.5 million votes is a lot, but by percentage it ranked 27th overall, and 13th among incumbents. (sorry to send you to 538. Wear your boots)

You’d just think that His Hopeyness could pull off a double digit victory in that climate. The man is a myth riding the winds of opportunity afforded by Dubya’s missteps.

realityunwound on October 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM

And as far as being sore losers Spathi, I don’t imagine it ever occurred to Bush or Cheney that a bunch of corrupt, snotty, Eurotrash commies would give them the award in the first place, so why be sore losers? They would probably consider it an insult to be in the same club with Arafat and that kook Gore.

Too bad the Nobel prize has turned into a political pawn, once upon a time it meant something.

I heard that there is talk in Norway of reforming the process in an effort to avoid further embarrassment for the Norwegian people.

Terrye on October 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Paul Shanklin does pretty damn well as Obama….for a white guy.

Jewel on October 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Wow. That sucked.

JeffinOrlando on October 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM

That is my opinion of SNL since oh..1984?

Joe Piscopo was the last of the funny people on that show. What has followed is a compendium of popular culture:

Queers, minorities, and white apologists. Who tell jokes. Such is the “talent” found in the SNL cast.

BobMbx on October 11, 2009 at 6:24 PM

I was just thinking the same thing.

Sapwolf on October 11, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Given the demographics of many traditional and conservative Americans, I’d bet more of them are home on a Saturday night anyway…I’d watch a show like that; it’s just the ‘staying up until 1130′ part that I have trouble with…

While we’re making new TV schedules, I’d also like to see FNC develop some new shows instead of running all the repeats we see (at least here on the East Coast). FNC has some great talent…including Liberals like Juan Williams and Kirsten Powers.

Red State State of Mind on October 11, 2009 at 6:27 PM

Don’t forget the Anti-semite, Jimmuh “The Worthless One” Cahtuh, the Appeaser, Kofi “Sanctions are VERY effective” Anan, and the Falsifier, Rigoberta “True Events are Rarely Worth Writing About” Menchú.

Sounds about right to me.

realityunwound on October 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM

realityunwound on October 11, 2009 at 6:30 PM

That was in reference to

They would probably consider it an insult to be in the same club with Arafat and that kook Gore. by Terrye on October 11, 2009 at 6:22 PM

Sorry, you can’t take me anywhere.

realityunwound on October 11, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Wow… These guys were handed the golden goose with the Opeaceprize announcement and this is what they do with it. Sad. It shows that they are still holding back on accepting that the whole Obama precedentcy is a joke.
If they were not hacks for the left, they would have had a pile of one liners so strong that the audience would have peed themselves on hearing them. Their skit length coverage would have been historically hysteric, rivaling Radner and Belushi’s best.
Instead we get a non-impersonation, by a not really that funny of a guy (who’s only doing the Zero because… well he’s black and skinny), exceptionally weak deliver of a few piss poor jokes that have no possible way of being Monday’s water cooler talk (except in the context of how much SNL sucks), and a now wasted chance to point out to America (those that don’t know it already) that Obama has won most everything that he has so far, for basically the same indistinct and un-defendable reasons…

RalphyBoy on October 11, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Lorne you cowardly slut.

Sorry…someone had to say it.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM

I was in the mall today and the floors had just been washed , so they were wet . I slipped and fell right on my Spathi!

cableguy615 on October 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I gave up on SNL after last night. They are still using fat jokes about Rush.

rockdog63 on October 11, 2009 at 6:52 PM

Fox’s MadTV did this
See how they lampooned Obama getting awards

macncheez on October 11, 2009 at 6:54 PM

MadTv was edgier too

macncheez on October 11, 2009 at 7:05 PM

If Allah did a little more googling, he’d see that this guy would be far superior for the job

I_C on October 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM

Fred Armisen is not even trying do do an impersonation of Obama. The writing sucks as well. Pathetic!

MCGIRV on October 11, 2009 at 7:31 PM

I sort of thought they would ease off on Barry after the previous week’s sketch. I’m sure Armisen probably hated doing that one, which was why his impersonation was so bad. I thought he had nailed it back during the campaign. I also guarantee that Immelt got a call from the White House complaining about it and you know which way the fecal remnant rolls. I think this latest one is about as edgy (which is to say not edgy at all) as you’ll see from now on.

WarEagle01 on October 11, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I live in Canada and this video will not play….Its great living in the GOVERNMENT controlled canadian internet system. They censor us here.

royzer on October 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM

The second clip was genius. I can see how that comedian won five weeks straight at the Apollo.

alliebobbitt on October 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM

Marlin Hill is a funny guy and does a very good Obama impression.

Unfortunately for Marlin, it’s so good that Barack Obama has just won Stand-up Comedian of the Year at the American Comedy Awards.

SagebrushPuppet on October 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM

royzer on October 11, 2009 at 7:40 PM

Don’t worry. As soon as Obama gives us Canadian style nationalized health care, he’ll censor the Internets too. All in the name of hope and change of course.

angryed on October 11, 2009 at 8:43 PM

They seem like sore losers. Even McCain congratulated Obama but not Bush.

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Why exactly would the adults congratulate the filthy lying coward for getting an award he doesn’t deserve by his own admission?

How is one a “sore loser” for an award they never were in contention for?

highhopes on October 11, 2009 at 9:16 PM

The proper joke would be that he won next week’s Powerball prize without buying a ticket. SNL’s joke made no sense.

Ronnie on October 11, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I still say they pulled their punches for him last time too. Remember, prior to that sketch, Armison at least TRIED to do an Obama impersonation. Now he doesn’t even try. He’s just using his own voice. WTF? I mean, I’m more offended by that than anything. He at least used to lower the voice and try to copy speech patterns. Why, other than feeling bad about mocking his hero, is he deliberately failing to do an impersonation?

BREAKING: CNN just rushed Wolf Blitzer to the studio for a late Sunday night fact check session, and he is on live now, announcing that Obama did NOT win Powerball. When will SNL stop with the smears!?!?!?

RightWinged on October 11, 2009 at 10:04 PM

Allah,

That’s awesome. Never seen that guy before but he is dead on. I hope Lorne takes your advice.

John on October 11, 2009 at 10:36 PM

That was pathetic.. and really disappointing…

ivorygirl on October 11, 2009 at 11:01 PM

It was pathetic and disappointing but at least they tried, but they were also scared. As we all should be scared.

Breaking news:

Girls Scouts say O.Hussein to win the multicultural girl of the year in 2010.

Dhuka on October 11, 2009 at 11:20 PM

Marlin hill needs some prosthetics beheind the ears to push them out a bit, and then he needs to perfect the nose in air pose.

AnotherOpinion on October 12, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Frankly, Tina was the only funny bit on SNL in years.

AnninCA on October 12, 2009 at 1:22 AM

I don’t think a conservative SNL would be the answer. I’d rather see an anything goes SNL type show. Everyone and everything is fair game for good parody. The minute you pick sides, you get , well… the current SNL.

When you look back at when SNL was good over the years, it was never the political stuff. In fact, probably one of the best SNL actors ever was Eddie Murphy, and he was mostly apolitical, and very much politically incorrect.

reaganaut on October 12, 2009 at 2:04 AM

Spathi on October 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM

Please. Bush is retired now. He is not carrying on the tradition of the idiot, meddling former POTUS, like Jimmah and Bubba.

He was 1000 times more gracious than his predecessor in handling the transition for Obama. He was 1000 times more gracious will all the crap the left threw at him over 8 years, and has 1000 times the spine of The One when it comes to the media.

reaganaut on October 12, 2009 at 2:08 AM

gracious will

with

reaganaut on October 12, 2009 at 2:09 AM

The best line of the night was when Seth Meyers, noting that Obama was accepting the award as “a call to action,” said something to the effect of: “Um, so was the election.”

Kafir on October 12, 2009 at 7:01 AM

Wow. That was even worse than I expected.

As I wrote in my blog, Armisen’s Obama impression isn’t needling, it’s a deep tissue massage.

L.N. Smithee on October 12, 2009 at 7:06 AM

I’m glad I don’t stay up to watch this junk.

4shoes on October 12, 2009 at 7:49 AM

Fail. The 3am phonecall line got a slight chuckle out of me. That’s it.

I know I can’t be the only one to have this idea (because this particular meme is being run into the ground), but here’s how I would have framed the sketch:

Obama is receiving the Peace Prize and about to give his acceptance speech. He’s interrupted by Kanye West who says, “I’m really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Ronald Reagan was one of the most effective proponents for peace of all times. Yeah! Tear down this mother %$&@’ing wall!”

ynot4tony2 on October 12, 2009 at 10:01 AM

How about this take on the award?

TCJ on October 12, 2009 at 10:55 AM