Advisor to Nobel-award winning POTUS says shari’a law “gender justice” for women

posted at 8:48 am on October 9, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Barack Obama won a Nobel Peace Prize on a nomination submitted ten whole days into his term of office in part due to his effort in “easing American conflicts with Muslim nations.”  Helming that effort is Dalia Mogahed, Obama’s advisor on Muslim affairs, who gave British television viewers a taste of how Obama won the Nobel.  She explained that the oppressive shari’a law that results in stonings, mainly for women, is actually “gender justice”, which might be news to women’s-rights groups around the world:

President Barack Obama’s adviser on Muslim affairs, Dalia Mogahed, has provoked controversy by appearing on a British television show hosted by a member of an extremist group to talk about Sharia Law.

Miss Mogahed, appointed to the President’s Council on Faith-Based and Neighbourhood Partnerships, said the Western view of Sharia was “oversimplified” and the majority of women around the world associate it with “gender justice”.

The White House adviser made the remarks on a London-based TV discussion programme hosted by Ibtihal Bsis, a member of the extremist Hizb ut Tahrir party. …

During the 45-minute discussion, on the Islam Channel programme Muslimah Dilemma earlier this week, the two members of the group made repeated attacks on secular “man-made law” and the West’s “lethal cocktail of liberty and capitalism”.

They called for Sharia Law to be “the source of legislation” and said that women should not be “permitted to hold a position of leadership in government”.

Miss Mogahed made no challenge to these demands and said that “promiscuity” and the “breakdown of traditional values” were what Muslims admired least about the West.

Gender justice?  Under shari’a, a woman’s testimony in court only counts for half of that of a man.  If a woman is raped, she needs four male witnesses to prove her case.  If she makes the accusation and doesn’t find four witnesses, the victim gets charged with fornication or adultery and faces death.

Under what definition of “gender justice” does that fall?  The laws of shari’a deliberately make women chattel to their husbands, fathers, or brothers.  Its application keeps women in some countries from being allowed to venture out in public on their own, without an adult male family member to accompany them.

Instead of defending the rights of women and secular application of law, which is the basis of our law, the advisor of the President of the United States fails to answer a demand for the imposition of an extreme religious code on free people. Mogahed also never rebutted the notion that women should not hold public office, which directly challenged her own status, but also insulted many women in American public life in both parties.  I wonder what Nancy Pelosi and Hillary Clinton think about that performance.

If that’s the kind of outreach that wins Nobel Peace prizes, then the Norwegians must value the oppression of women in Muslim countries and the Western nations that appease that oppression.

Update: Apologies to all Swedes.  I know it’s Norwegians that hand out the award, but for some reason I wrote “Swedes”.  Coffee deficiency.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Islam is a totalitarian ideology and is antithetical to our Bill of Rights and our Constitution. Its conception and its holy book are based on jealousy and hatred of all those who who reject it.

Connie on October 9, 2009 at 9:37 AM

Not to mention the pedophilia of its “prophet,” who married a 9-year-old. Of course, that is becoming perfectly acceptable now in Obama’s America, so I suppose we don’t much farther to go before we get fitted with our burkas.

rockmom on October 9, 2009 at 10:10 AM

Isnt she being a tad sexist? This one needs under the bus too.

becki51758 on October 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM

It’s time to take back our country and renew the promise of the Constitution.

SARAH PALIN 2012

tim c on October 9, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Next, get in line so you can get your “female genital mutilation”.

It will make you feel more like a woman.

/sarc

ms on October 9, 2009 at 10:28 AM

There is something significant that happened last week per that Military Outpost being attacked. Why the show of force from the Taliban on an “Observation Post” Is our Military zeroing in on something? Too close for comfort for who ?? The one eyed mullah or the towel head with a megalomania complex?

Dr Evil on October 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Every day, worse and worse.

WisCon on October 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM

So a girl gets rudely awakened by strangers in her home as she is kidnapped at gun point. In less than 24 hours she is promised to be wed to some barely legal boy related to most of the kidnappers, forcibly converted to islam (the religion of peace) by extortion and death threats, married while captive, and RAPED. Under sharia she is now a married woman and her “former” family is not legally allowed to talk to her at all. The “former” father cannot file a kidnapping charge as she couldn’t have been kidnapped by her husband and there are no witnesses.

I am not creating a scenario. This was the news from July 2008. All I did was leave out two facts. First, the family is christian. Second, they live in Pakistan.

If you read this in the US, remember 80% of this country is CHRISTIAN.

I have a warning for any would be islamic husbands and their relatives.
COMING AFTER MY GIRLS IS AN EXPRESS TICKET TO ALLAH.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

COMING AFTER MY GIRLS IS AN EXPRESS TICKET TO ALLAH.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Call me if you need backup.

BobMbx on October 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Have you heard of Suicide by Cop?

My New Ameristan dictionary entry for Honor Killing:
Suicide by intended Father of the bride.
/sarc

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM

Imagine the response of the world if an advisor to the President went on Fox News and had a sit down to discuss the view that all legislation in the world should be based on Jesus Christ’s Sermon on the Mount or perhaps the Levitcal Law of the Old testament.

j_galt on October 9, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Whoa now we can’t have anybody runnin’ ’round shoving their personal religious views on other people.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM

We shouldn’t be giving any legitimacy at all to islam. islam is a horrific blight on the world…any “religion” crafted by a mass murderer is something we should shun, and anyone who practices such religion or even tolerates it should be shunned as well.

If anyone started a religion today crafted by a mass murderer on death row, we’d call the followers lunatics and we’d probably lock them away for evaluation. We allow a nutjob from the 7th century to start his own twisted religion and we bash anyone as a bigot who dares attack his followers. We have an actual office in the white house where people actively try to push this mass murderers agenda! It’s insanity.

TheBlueSite on October 9, 2009 at 10:59 AM

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Oh man. I’ve got three daughters and even though I know those things go on, just reading your post makes me sick.

My former business partner was the daughter of a senior Iranian official in the Shah’s government. When the Islamic Revolution began he used his connections to smuggle his five teenage daughters out of the country. They were nailed into wooden shipping crates and loaded on a ship that eventually made it to Jordan (maybe they were on trucks at some point). Jordanian friends put the girls on a merchant ship bound for the United States where they had no connections. Their father knew what was coming for Iranian women and he didn’t want that for his daughters. He decided it was better to never see them again than to allow them to live in a fundamentalist Islamic Republic. The stories my friend tells about what goes on in Iran would make you sick. These people are barbarians.

flyfisher on October 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM

The peace of the lowing herd. Or maybe the field of grass.

mojo on October 9, 2009 at 11:03 AM

In all seriousness for sec.. with all this insanity, could this FINALLY be an “emperor has no clothes moment” for a majority of Americans?

JamesLee on October 9, 2009 at 11:05 AM

Dr Evil on October 9, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Possibly, but reading the story and seeing the picture I’d say it had more to do with strategic advantage on their part. They’ve known for a long time that most head on confrontations are going to be losing propositions. With two mountains to use as cover fire, it’s much easier for them to try to come in the front door.

Personally I think Bin Laden is long gone. They can say what they want about all those audio tapes, but until I see a verifiable video of him talking recent events, I’m betting he’s taking a dirt nap.

TugboatPhil on October 9, 2009 at 11:06 AM

What male Muslims care what any half-man (AKA woman) thinks about anything?

Shut up, Miss Mogahed!

Or they will beat you with a stick (no thicker thantheir thumbs)!

Stockholm Syndrome goes Mecca!

profitsbeard on October 9, 2009 at 11:11 AM

This makes PERFECT sense. If you can’t win a formerly prestigious international award for bashing the greatest liberator in the history of mankind, what good is the international community?

LFRGary on October 9, 2009 at 11:12 AM

If these comments don’t offend, and outrage every western woman, we’re in deep trouble. My anger, and fear are so strong right now, I’m almost afraid to type, and voice myself here, for fear it would get me banned….so I’ll just end it with….BITE ME, Ms. Dalia Mogahed!!!!

capejasmine on October 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM

We know the facts: Obama is a radical liberal statist with a pro Muslim bias, at least.
Every day brings new and sometimes outrageous examples, but no longer can anyone reasonably be surprised at the new examples.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 9, 2009 at 11:18 AM

capejasmine at 11:16
And it is not just women who should be outraged. Lots of men have daughters and granddaughters and are horrified from our vantage point as well.

GaltBlvnAtty on October 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM

BTW

do you guys know what her surname means in Arabic?

Mogahed is just the Egyptian way of pronouncing Mujahid (plural, mujahideen), that is, one who performs JIHAD.

Thought you might get a kick out of this!

Brazilian Neocon on October 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM

could obama’s friendliness to such a radical idea as islam be part of the reason that the claim he was muslim had traction? that and his father who was muslim, played into that, of course.

TheBlueSite on October 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

GaltBlvnAtty on October 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM

Absolutely!

flyfisher on October 9, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Sounds like some Europeans are waking up. Try this link. Wake up, people to all the political correctness going on here. Link to English Defence League

Christian Conservative on October 9, 2009 at 11:29 AM

I can just see me having a tete a tete with my wife about “gender justice”. That would be my last conversation with anyone as a married man.

By the way where are NOW ladies?

ncjetsfan on October 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

I see your “gender justice” shari’a law, and raise you scourge of our entire planet.

SilverStar830 on October 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

women should not be “permitted to hold a position of leadership in government”.

Doesn’t that mean Obama would have to resign?

Daggett on October 9, 2009 at 9:47 AM

Surely, you aren’t doubting the manliness of the Nobel ‘Won’, his MOM jeans, and not being able to get the ball over the plate.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 11:33 AM

Isn’t this what Obama and the Democratic party are all about?

BuckeyeSam on October 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM

What does shari’a law have to say about Female Genital Mutilation? The apparent answer is not one damn word.

flyfisher on October 9, 2009 at 10:07 AM

Whatever the mullah says goes. LITERALLY.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 11:36 AM

Can we keep this in mind the next time someone argues that Islam is consistent with the values of our country?

BuckeyeSam on October 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

From the linked full article:

Sharia…includes the controversial “Hadd offences”, crimes with specific penalties set by the Koran and the sayings of the prophet Mohammed. These include death by stoning for adultery and homosexuality and the removal of a hand for theft

Just wondering how the gay folk will react to this stoning business.

marybel on October 9, 2009 at 11:39 AM

TheBlueSite on October 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Which dad was muslim? Or would the list change if I asked which dad WASN’T?

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 11:40 AM

I am a 4’10″ tall very mean female who owns a 9mm Kahr and would love to shove it any islamic man’s face if he even thinks I’m going to follow his ‘rules’?!?

Ltlgeneral64 on October 9, 2009 at 11:48 AM

SilverStar830 on October 9, 2009 at 11:30 AM

Coming soon to news organ in the US?
Egyptian lawmakers want to ban fake hymen

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 11:56 AM

I’m a 5.2 little *****!
They try to touch me-or my 4 nieces-though being illinois I don’t have a gun-at least not officially-I will take them down with with me!

annoyinglittletwerp on October 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

Red meat for Sean, Levin, and Rush

ultracon on October 9, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Well, sure, since women are only slightly more uiseful than donkeys or sheep, why wouldn’t a legal system that treats them that way be “justice”?

Michelle would look better all covered up, anyway.

Obama’s adviser cadre, as they become more visible, make the bar scene in the first “Star Wars” flick look pretty sensible. I think I would rather be there than in a room with the cadre and Bama.

I wonder if this woman will kill Kevin Jenkins or the other loon, the lady (?) who thinks homosexual sex is “morally good”? Under sharia law, that is what they do with gay people, isn’t it?

Harry Schell on October 9, 2009 at 12:37 PM

PS: I have a daughter and a daughter-in-law. Several close friends who are female.

You want to meet Allah? Hassle them. I will find you.

Harry Schell on October 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Somebody email this post to Glen Beck, pronto.

PattyJ on October 9, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Gender justice:

- stoning, acid throwing and beating women for the tiniest fraction of noncompliance, even if not intentional

- female genital mutilation practiced by WOMEN upon girls

- treating women as lower than dogs and other unclean animals, good only for breeding

Yeah, that’s gender justice.

Mommynator on October 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Where’s our wonderful press about this?

Not much difference between our government controlled press and Al Jazeera.

What the “Mullah Obama”says, goes.

Jeff from WI on October 9, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I wonder how Medea Benjamin, with her eyes newly opened, feels about sharia law and gender justice?

Mallard T. Drake on October 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM

The irony is that in an Islamic world, Dalia Mogahed, Obama’s advisor on Muslim affairs. would not have that job or any job, and she certainly would not be on television.

coldwarrior on October 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Wonder how she feels about Hillary being Secretary of State.

Vashta.Nerada on October 9, 2009 at 1:37 PM

coldwarrior on October 9, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Nor would she be allowed in public without being accompanied by a male member of her immediate family.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM

COMING AFTER MY GIRLS IS AN EXPRESS TICKET TO ALLAH.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Call me if you need backup.

BobMbx on October 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Call me if you need an alibi.

Laura in Maryland on October 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

capejasmine on October 9, 2009 at 11:16 AM

Our American feminists DO NOT CARE as long as Bozo supports their right to abortion on demand. (Despite the fact that in 2009 its a barbaric, unnecessary act.)

They stood behind Bubba no matter what he did. I remember Fox news putting Patricia Ireland on the spot and she nothing but good things to say about bubba.

dogsoldier on October 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

***
I think that President Obama’s (PBUH) adviser on Muslim Sharia Law needs some practical re-education. Let’s send her on a “grand tour” so she can personally experience some of the fine points of Sharia Law–and let us know how it felt.
***
SAUDIA ARABIAN SCHOOL”
*1000 lash floggings for “sex crimes”.
*Stonings.
*Hand / foot / head amputations.
*No leaving the country for women.
*No leaving the house alone.
*No rights to children or property after divorce.
*Multiple wives to share with husband.
***
AFGHANISTAN TALIBAN SCHOOL:
*Forced marriage to man 50 years older.
*Forced marriage of 9 year old girls.
*Acid in the face for going to school.
*Getting shot in soccor stadium for “sex crimes”.
*Razor blade female genital mutilation.
*Getting bombed at the food market.
***
USA SCHOOL:
*Beheading by husband for wanting a divorce.
*Honor killing of daughters for wanting freedom.
*No freedom of religion or speech.
***
I learned all I need to know about Islam–the “religion of peace”–on 9/11/2001–early in the morning. This woman is just another of the USEFUL IDIOTS that surround President Obama (PBUH) as he trashes traditional American values of freedom for all. She wants to live as a slave.
***
John Bibb
***

rocketman on October 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM

Can you say, “Stockholm Syndrome”?
I love my slave rags! They are a sign of my freedom! So what if I can’t drive a car, leave the house without a male relative accompanying me. No big deal that I can’t marry who I want to or become educated or that I’m likely to be stoned to death for being raped or….

“America is not a Christian nation” Obama the moron then says..
With 6 million muslims in America we could be called one of the worlds largest muslim nations. Does this tell you anything?

Army Brat on October 9, 2009 at 3:39 PM

The dictionary definition of a “useful idiot.”

Also probably suffering from a severe case of Stockholm Syndrome…or just trying to toe the line VERY HARD for some reason. Perhaps she has received some stern warnings? Or maybe watched a female friend/relative suffer for daring to speak up?

Dark-Star on October 9, 2009 at 3:46 PM

BobMbx on October 9, 2009 at 10:43 AM

Laura in Maryland on October 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Castle Doctrine means never having to explain.
GOD blessed Texas.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 4:09 PM

I wanna see
Opra
ELLEN
hell all of the liberal women
FORCED into BURKAS
and then be forced to be\
BAREFOOT and PREGNANT..

I wonder how the liberals will like islam then

veteranoutrage on October 9, 2009 at 5:55 PM

Sure. If by justice, you mean abomination. And if by women, you mean barnyard animals. Then sure, you betcha, chicky.

bbhack on October 9, 2009 at 6:31 PM

Come…know the peace of Landru…be of the body…or die.

Army Brat on October 10, 2009 at 3:39 AM

Affirmative action at it’s logical conclusion.

KyserS on October 10, 2009 at 7:49 AM