Corzine goes for fat jokes in gubernatorial campaign

posted at 12:15 pm on October 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Maybe Jon Corzine can get Chris Rock to start managing his ad campaign in his desperate attempt to cling to office.  At least Rock would tell fat jokes with more humor than New Jersey’s governor, who decided to take a decidedly playground approach to criticizing his Republican opponent, Chris Christie.  Even the New York Times criticizes Corzine for his tactics:

It is about as subtle as a playground taunt: a television ad for Gov. Jon S. Corzine shows his challenger, Christopher J. Christie, stepping out of an S.U.V. in extreme slow motion, his extra girth moving, just as slowly, in several different directions at once.

In case viewers missed the point, a narrator snidely intones that Mr. Christie “threw his weight around” to avoid getting traffic tickets.

In the ugly New Jersey contest for governor, Mr. Corzine and Mr. Christie have traded all sorts of shots, over mothers and mammograms, loans and lying. But now, Mr. Corzine’s campaign is calling attention to his rival’s corpulence in increasingly overt ways.

Excuse me, but Jon Corzine hardly has the standing to allege preferential treatment when it comes to driving behavior.  Two and a half years ago, Corzine had state troopers drive him to a meeting with Don Imus at speeds exceeding 90 MPH.  Inevitably, the troopers crashed, underscoring the threat to public safety such travel creates.  Corzine could have killed other drivers on that road, the state troopers, or himself.

Oh, and let’s not forget that Corzine wasn’t bright enough to fasten his seatbelt during Mr. Governor’s Wild Ride.

But back to the fat jokes.  Corzine’s head is so fat … well, let’s not go there.

This has the definite whiff of desperation, which is odd, because public polls show Corzine climbing back into a statistical dead heat with Christie, who has not exactly set the world afire in the Garden State.  Monmouth University pollsters say that their surveys showed that people have a strong association between Christie and his weight.  Monmouth believes that Corzine’s campaign saw the data and decided to capitalize on the connection.

That’s the kind of decision-making one sees in playground bullies, but preferably not in public officials.  Jim Geraghty wonders when the “your momma” jokes will start.  Maybe Christie will take the Gene Hackman role in Heist in playing the dozens with Corzine:

Update: Jim says not to forget Corzine’s jokes about Italians and Jews.  It’s like a Dean Martin roast, only much less funny.

Comments

If it’s fat vs. corrupt, fat tips the scales every time.

BadgerHawk on October 8, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Shapeist.

WisCon on October 8, 2009 at 12:19 PM

It takes Jon Corzine an hour to cook Minute Rice.

LibTired on October 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM

The rest of the nation asks Corzine: Excuse me (rolls eyes) , aren’t you governor of New Jersey?

Marcus on October 8, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Jon Corzine = fat head!

grapeknutz on October 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Let’s talk about the smoker-in-chief.

txag92 on October 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Christie will lose the race because he’s a pu$$y and won’t fight back. Wait and see.

Percy_Peabody on October 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Don’t leave out algore

seven on October 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I’m guessing fat jokes don’t play well in NJ.

jhffmn on October 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Hugh Hewitt dismantled the “independent” candidate for NJ gov. (Chris Dagett) on the radio yesterday. Read transcript here
Daggett wouldn’t even call Corzine “corrupt”, it was pathetic.

Me smells a Democratic plant to syphon votes from Christie.

omnipotent on October 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I may be fat, but your ugly and I can diet.

bbordwell on October 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I’m not sure that attack is a good idea. If we are to believe all the nay-sayers in this nanny state, most of us are obese. Corzine, then is insulting a large, pardon the pun, majority of us ordinary citizens.

sandee on October 8, 2009 at 12:24 PM

Let’s talk about the smoker-in-chief.

txag92 on October 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Do you mean the Cokehead In Chief?

omnipotent on October 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Let’s talk about the smoker-in-chief.

txag92 on October 8, 2009 at 12:21 PM

Well, we can’t, can we, since the Press refuses to publish any pics at all of him smoking.

pseudonominus on October 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Do you mean the Cokehead In Chief?

omnipotent on October 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

That too. Isn’t he a gem?

txag92 on October 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Got to love those Dems…………here’s their mantra, “Whatever works!” No moral underpinnings there to worry about! Go Team Obama……….Go Messiah! Down with the U.S. and up with Pelosi…….check your schools….they are probably chanting that tune this weeks at most of them…..it is down right depressing……………thank goodness for Sarah!

Cinday Blackburn on October 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Corzine, 60, did not suffer any brain damage in the crash.

Pre-existing condition?!

4shoes on October 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Christie should run an ad of a white SUV speeding through New Jersey. 20 seconds of landmarks whizzing by, let the soundtrack “Woke Up This Morning” play. Announcer: “Governor Corzine and traffic tickets? Fuggetaboutit.”

Chris_Balsz on October 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Time for the seat belt jokes again .

borntoraisehogs on October 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM

Love the post, but just one minor tweak – it’s “yo momma,” Ed, you square. =P

Emily M. on October 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Weight racist!

exception on October 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Me smells a Democratic plant to syphon votes from Christie.

omnipotent on October 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM</blockquote

His numbers seemed a little high to me last week. Hope Hewitt’s dismantling has an effect, along with Corzine’s fat-focused stupidity.

misslizzi on October 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Just because someone is fat doesn’t really mean anything.

Many “skinny” people have higher BP and cholesterol problems as a “fat” person.

Some people seriously need to focus on the person’s worth, not their girth.

upinak on October 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I’m guessing fat jokes don’t play well in NJ.

jhffmn on October 8, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Ask Tony Soprano or Big Pu$$y and we’ll see how much room there is in the trunk.

Laura in Maryland on October 8, 2009 at 12:31 PM

Corzine is throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks. So far, the Christie = Bush attack has failed, the Christie Wants To Take Away Your Mammogram attack has failed, the Christie’s Brother Might Have Done Something Bad attack has failed, the Christie’s Aunt By Marriage Might Have Had A Relative In The Mob attack has failed. So by all means, let’s try the Christie Is Fat attack.

CORZINE = FAIL

rockmom on October 8, 2009 at 12:33 PM

If this state elects this man again, it’s going to force us to seriously consider selling and moving out of here. I can’t believe the people in my own state are so GD stupid. Excuse me, but I’ve seen enough of NJ dirty politics and the me, me, me, my entire life and I won’t take it any longer.

Sorry. This just pushed me over the edge. I’d truly like to know what this state thinks these Dem’s are doing for us other than putting us in the highest property tax rate in the USA.

shoregulls on October 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy?

Grow Fins on October 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

shoregulls on October 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

I am up in Bergen County and have seen firsthand how corrupt this state is. Its going to be hard for Christie to win. Just too many dems with a big machine.
Corzine is a completely useless governor. I honestly cant think of one thing he has done, but he’s a dem.

Christie has a chance, but he needs to start hitting back hard…

joepub on October 8, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy?

Grow Fins on October 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

We keep telling you twits that terrorists aren’t classy, yet you keep palling around with them. When you ever learn? Now go check on your pal Ann; she’s been in the can to long.

Laura in Maryland on October 8, 2009 at 12:48 PM

Well he is running against a RINO and aren’t RINO’s “fat”?

bill30097 on October 8, 2009 at 12:49 PM

Corzine is no Mr. Universe, so he really shouldn’t go there. Christie is doing a bad job of convincing NJ voters to vote for him–this should be a run away election. I’m not totally thrilled with Christie, but we need Corzine out of there.

Beaglemom on October 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy truthful?

Grow Fins on October 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

FIFY

dmh0667 on October 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM

Jersey voters……you get what you vote for.

Enjoy.

PappyD61 on October 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Some recent study, as I recall, said that about 60% of all Americans are overweight and, based on my own anecdotal observations from numerous trips to NJ over the years, that number could be low.

In a close race like this one, alienating the fat vote could well prove counter-productive.

What the hell is Mr. Goldman Sachs thinking?

TXUS on October 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

Corzine has lost some weight recently. However, he use to be quite the chubmeister himself.

Blake on October 8, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Corzine married his high school sweetheart who stuck with him through thick and thin, and who he dumped after 33 years of marriage so he could openly chase lobbiest nookie.

Blake on October 8, 2009 at 12:59 PM

This election will be rigged. NJ is possibly an even greater political cesspool than Massachusetts.

Hening on October 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Blake on October 8, 2009 at 12:59 PM

In Washington, Trenton, and most state capitols with which I’m familiar, they’re known, quite adorably, as “lobbyettes”.

TXUS on October 8, 2009 at 1:04 PM

Blake, I know it’s lame, but can I apologize for attacking you the other day? I really am sorry for treating you like sh**. I shouldn’t have treated you like that. I should have stuck up for you when people were piling on you. You said your piece and I respect that. Sorry for my immaturity.

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 1:07 PM

shoregulls on October 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

If New Jersey reelects Corzine after the job he’s done as governor and the trashy, desperate campaign he’s run, the state deserves to collapse into bankruptcy.

Doughboy on October 8, 2009 at 1:13 PM

Blake on October 8, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Wow, I better get going. I married my high school sweetheart and we will have 36 years in next week. What was I thinking NOT dumping her.

Jeff from WI on October 8, 2009 at 1:14 PM

I guess their internal polls are worse than the public polls. Corzine has only led in one recent poll, although the race has tightened up. If New Jersey votes for Corzine, they deserve to be smited.

SouthernGent on October 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Mr. Corzine had made offensive remarks twice, the first time at an Italian restaurant in Newark several months ago, ”where Mr. Corzine was courting the support of six prominent Italian-Americans.”

Um… I’m about as Italian-American as it gets… why would I care what 6 other IA’s happen to think? Further, what makes them “prominent?”

Pelosi, Ferraro and Cuomo are 3 “prominent” IA’s and I don’t care what they think about the weather let alone public policy.

Now, Alyssa Milano? I’m VERY interested in her thoughts.

mankai on October 8, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Christie should do commercials standing next to Meghan Mc Cain to down play his weight.

Jeff from WI on October 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM

I think Pelosi needs to have a talk with Corzine about raising the tone of rhetoric on issues in NJ. Instead of implying he’s too fat, she should suggest that Corzine call him a Fat Nazi

smartsy on October 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM

That’s the kind of decision-making one sees in playground bullies

Isn’t that what politics in America is these days? A playground for bullies? Serious discussion and civil debate seem to get far less attention from the public than name-calling and bullying do. And as long as the public is buying this immature behavior, that’s what politicians will be selling.

Loxodonta on October 8, 2009 at 1:21 PM

“I may be a Socialist who has mishandled the governance of our great state… but at least I’m not a fat guy! Continue the misery of failed economic theory, VOTE CORZINE (the thinner guy!)”

mankai on October 8, 2009 at 1:27 PM

I get the bad feeling that Corzine will be re-elected, even though the economy is in shambles there and he’s apparently a childish jerk. Seriously, where did this guy get his campaign strategies? Terry McCauliffe? Paul Begala? I’ll go with Paul Begala. He loves personal attacks.

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

Percy_Peabody on October 8, 2009 at 12:22 PM

As I told you in the previous thread, Christie Will Win.

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

shoregulls on October 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Move over here to Bucks County, PA. We need a few more conservatives to help kick out our moron Congresscritter. You can commute almost anywhere in Jersey from here (my husband works in Trenton and it looks like I might be taking a job soon in Bridgewater or Bloomfield.) I’m telling everyone I know in Jersey to move over here. Taxes are lower and we still have a functioning Republican Party in Pennsylvania. Plus you’ll get to vote against Arlen Specter next year!

rockmom on October 8, 2009 at 1:31 PM

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 1:29 PM

The White House. Seriously. That’s why he started his campaign with lame ads showing him and Obama together, and then using some bad Photoshops trying to put Christie together with George Bush. Those didn’t work, so they hve gotten nastier.

For those complaining that Christie hasn’t hit back hard enough, Corzine is outspending him 3-1. Christie doesn’t have millions of his own money to spend throwing sh– at the wall to see what sticks. It’s a testament to how far behind Corzine is that he still can’t pull ahead in this race after spending $16 million attacking Christie.

rockmom on October 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM

As I told you in the previous thread, Christie Will Win.

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Christie will barely win, if Rasmussen Reports has it right. Christie is only THREE points ahead of Corzine. Pitiful. The Democrats in New Jersey can have him. What a joke. Even Republican Alaska kicked Ted Stevens out of office!

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 1:35 PM

There’s a picture of Corzine and Biden hugging in the newspaper today. Biden says Corzine saved lots of NJ jobs. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha….paper also says Corzine has spent $19 million of his own money on his re-election. For THIS job? I just got the real estate tax rebate that there was no money for earlier this year…suddenly, after a tax amnesty voila!! there’s the money!!! Three weeks before election. Ha Ha. If I could afford it, I’d send the GD money to Christie.

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 1:38 PM

HOW IS THAT ‘PITIFUL’ IN A SOLID BLUE STATE LIKE NJ??????? No Repub gets THIS close here. Think again, this is NJ, you know.

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM

shoregulls on October 8, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Have you donated to or volunteered for the Christie campaign? If you do that, even in a small way, after Christie wins, that will add to your satisfaction.

Loxodonta on October 8, 2009 at 1:42 PM

Okay, my ignorance is bliss, but still. That’s what I meant by the Ted Stevens comment. Alaska, to me, is a state dominated by Republicans, but they still voted out Ted Stevens, just barely. It speaks to who the more stubborn party loyalists are: the Dems! Anyway, Corzine should be voted out of office for this campaign strategy alone. How stupid and childish do you have to be to make fun of Christie’s weight. I can’t wait until November 3. Virginia and New Jersey Republicans/Conservatives need to vote in droves. Don’t let the goofy campaign strategies of Creigh Deeds and Jon Corzine convince them that the incumbents suck!

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy?

I know, it’s just doggone tacky to state factually that a person, who wants to be president of the US, palls around with home-grown American terrorists; actually more than palls around with Bombin Bill n Bernadine with fundraisers in there home etc.

Soooooo tacky. Sheesh.
/s off

Branch Rickey on October 8, 2009 at 2:07 PM

Jersey voters……you get what you vote PAY for.

PappyD61 on October 8, 2009 at 12:54 PM

FIFY.

Here in VA Deeds is doing much of the same thing. He never talks about anything in his ads except a decades old thesis paper that McDonnell wrote. If he wins in November, I’ve got to wonder how on earth he’s going to discuss transportation issues or any other real problem since he refuses to talk about anything but this paper.

highhopes on October 8, 2009 at 2:16 PM

If Republicans can’t win New Jersey after all the crap Corzine has done, we might as well just get rid of the NJ GOP and send the money somewhere it can do some good.

Speedwagon82 on October 8, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Truly a sad, pathetic man, and the people of New Jersey, are bringing him back up in the polls? Well, elections have consequences. Just don’t cry to other states to bail your asses out, when your democrat taxes you into oblivion.

capejasmine on October 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM

A statistical ‘dead heat’? Are you kidding me??
Bozo the Clown should be beating any dumbocrat by double digits right now. What is wrong with you people on the upper eastern seaboard?
It’s official, if Corzine wins. You people are insane!

Lanceman on October 8, 2009 at 2:46 PM

The problem with New Jersey is that it’s a combination of Chicago and Dukes of Hazzard. The urban northern part of the state is dominated by a plethora or corrupt big city machines while the more rural southern part is run by a bunch of crooked mayors and county bosses. Many of these crooked county bosses are RINO Republicans who won’t hesitate to support Democrats in order to keep the gravy train running. If Christie is only up by three points in the polls after all the crap Corzine has pulled then, my friends, Mr. Christie is toast. Especially since the independent in the race is going to pull votes away from him, not Corzine.

Sorry, but that’s the way I see it.

Percy_Peabody on October 8, 2009 at 2:47 PM

capejasmine on October 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM

We’ll just move to your state!!

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM

We’ll just move to your state!!

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 2:51 PM

Come to Texas!

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Here’s what Christie’s next ad should say in response to the corzine fat ads:

If you think the last year has been a bumpy ride, you better FASTEN YOUR SEATBELTS if Corzine gets re-elected, cause you aint seen nothin yet.

yeah, that’ll work

joepub on October 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM

At first glance, I thought the ad was talking about Charlie “I’ll-Rangel-out-of-this-one” or Bawney Fwank – with the corruption crap and all.

LoneStarGal on October 8, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Come to Texas!

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 2:55 PM

Been seriously thinking about it. Only thing is, I don’t like cactus or HOT. But otherwise, you’ve got a great thing going there. I just might join up.

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Plenty of commenters at HotAir have made fat jokes at the expense of people they don’t like (Meghan McCain, for instance). It would be hypocrisy for us to hold Corzine to a higher standard.

malclave on October 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM

malclave on October 8, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Agreed,pure hypocrisy. People should stop with the Meghan Mc Cain jokes. For God sakes she’s about to become a mother. At least triples I’d say. When is she do?

Jeff from WI on October 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

ooopppss..I meant due

Jeff from WI on October 8, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Just because someone is fat doesn’t really mean anything.

Many “skinny” people have higher BP and cholesterol problems as a “fat” person.

Some people seriously need to focus on the person’s worth, not their girth.

upinak on October 8, 2009 at 12:30 PM

Good point.
My 50 yr.old, 5.4, 240 husband is on 1 ‘scrip.
Me-almost 39, 5.2, 125, walked a marathon on Sunday-is on 3(or is it 4) ‘scrips.
Genetics can be a “female dog”.

annoyinglittletwerp on October 8, 2009 at 3:52 PM

I saw this headline, and I thought of this. Which come to think of it probably would have been better for Corzine to run than that campaign ad.

jon1979 on October 8, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Jeff from WI on October 8, 2009 at 3:47 PM

So you agree that there’s nothing wrong with Corzine attacking his opponent’s weight?

malclave on October 8, 2009 at 4:20 PM

Were I running a campaign against Corzine it’d go something like this: Do you trust a man who doesn’t have the wisdom to wear his seatbelt? He’s not fat … just a fathead!

kregg on October 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy?

Grow Fins on October 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

At least she never talked about Obama’s ears.

ddrintn on October 8, 2009 at 4:59 PM

I noticed this on the ads Corzine runs, they use old footage of Christie when he was much fatter.

Rbastid on October 8, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Classy? You mean “pallin’ around with terrorists” classy?

Grow Fins on October 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Like a little kid you go that route rather than addressing the inappropriateness of the ad.

CWforFreedom on October 8, 2009 at 7:48 PM

Pre-existing condition?!

4shoes on October 8, 2009 at 12:26 PM

HAH! Awesome.

Harpazo on October 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You won’t see any cactus in Texas unless you ever move to far West Texas. Most of Texas is plains and where I live is rolling hills. Hot yes, but desert no. Northeast Texas, where I live, is a lot like the South. Rural and woodsy.

NathanG on October 8, 2009 at 10:34 PM

NJ Red on October 8, 2009 at 3:14 PM

You will never have to shovel heat.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on October 9, 2009 at 12:19 AM

I would do anything to move out of NJ, but unfortunately, family obligations will keep me in this state forever. I am not Christie’s biggest fan, but another five minutes of Corzine is too much. We had BHO, Joey Plugs, and algore here, and now I hear that Slick Willy is on his way here too. Yikes. That’s why I spent four hours on the phones for Christie today.

I was five minutes behind him at the time of his crash on the Garden State Parkway.

margategop517 on October 9, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Corzine is scum…and the state is full of political scum. You would think after all those recent arrests of Democrats that people would kick them all out. Personally, I think the Independent/Daggett is a Dem plant to take votes away from Christie…if you look at the numbers in recent weeks that seems to be what is happening.

njpat on October 9, 2009 at 8:21 AM

Karla Katz….look that one up. Corzine+AFT+Acorn…the trifecta for disaster.

njpat on October 9, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Hugh Hewitt is correct. Nice does not win in a political campaign. However, the rule is simple, if they start it let them have it and watch how fast they back down. Never be the one to start it.

MSGTAS on October 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM