Census Bureau sending violent felons to our doors?

posted at 10:12 am on October 8, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Why does this sound so familiar?

A Senate Subcommittee hearing today revealed that nearly 36,000 Census Bureau employees were hired despite the fact that the fingerprint component of their criminal record checks was botched. Despite additional name checks recommended by the FBI, the GAO said that it was possible that more than 200 employees hired by the Census Bureau had criminal records, and were in contact with the public while canvassing for the ongoing 2010 census.

Robert Goldenkoff, the Government Accountability Office’s Director for Strategic Issues, said that the criminal record checks were bungled because of poor staff training. Bureau staff with less than 2 hours of training in fingerprinting ruined about a fifth of the 162,000 necessary criminal record checks.

If the properly processed criminal record checks are any indication, the Bureau may have let a large number of violent criminals slip through the cracks. Of the prints that were properly checked, about one percent, or 1,800 workers, had criminal records that name checks failed to identify.

Of these 1,800 workers with criminal records, about 750 had their employment terminated or further reviewed due to criminal records that included crimes like rape, manslaughter and child abuse. Projecting these numbers to the employees with spoilt prints, the GAO came up with the figure of 200 census workers that may have had serious criminal records.

This should ring a bell for readers of Captain’s Quarters.  In  2004, Democrats used Americans Coming Together to conduct door-to-door voter registration drives, and ACT hired felons to knock on doors to persuade voters into becoming Democrats.  Eventually the John Kerry campaign and the Democrats ended their association with ACT out of embarrassment.

Now, however, it looks like they’ve turned the Census Bureau into ACT all over again.  Unfortunately, we don’t have the luxury of turning Census Bureau workers away from our doors as we do with partisan community organizers.  In their rush to hire, probably brought on in an attempt to alleviate the unemployment numbers (the money this year came from the stimulus package), the Census Bureau botched a process that private-sector employers routinely employ, and hired hundreds of felons to demand our personal information on our doorsteps.

Imagine how the Obama administration will handle hiring in the public-option health-insurance agencies …

Comments

rwenger43 on October 8, 2009 at 11:49 PM

First of all Obama has violated the U.S. Constitution by removing the census from the Department of Commerce where CONGRESS, in it’s constitutional authority had placed the census over 100 years ago. Not only is this unconstitutional, it is ILLEGAL. Participating in the census would then be supporting an unconstitutional and illegal act. When it can be proven that the 2010 census has been RETURNED to the direct jurisdiction of Congress and that ACORN and ALL ACORN employees has been COMPLETELY removed from ANY business concerning the census, then I will be more than happy to “do my civic duty”, and participate in the census. Until that time the Federal Government CANNOT require ANYONE to participate in an illegal census and ANY threat would be COERCION AND WOULD VIOLATE U.S. CODE 42, SS 12203.

nelsonknows on October 9, 2009 at 1:07 AM

What’s next? Is Obama’s “Census Czar” going to send pedophiles to collect data at day care centers?

olesparkie on October 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM

First, Congress must read the Constitution and understand the real reason behind the census – obtain the number of persons within the boarders of the U.S.

So the only question you are obligated to answer is “How many person live in this house?”

MSGTAS on October 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM

MSGTAS on October 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM

That’s all I’ve ever answered for the census. They sent people out to my house, but they left when I refused to answer more questions.

Jeff from WI on October 9, 2009 at 10:08 AM

I answered one more … native American since I was born here. :)

Dukehoopsfan on October 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM

olesparkie on October 9, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Please stop giving them ideas.

Blacksmith8 on October 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Nelsonknows,

You wouldn’t be my wife’s Uncle Nelson, would you? Your philosophy reminds me of your brother Dwight’s.

I respect your knowledge and your purity of thought. I also find your grasp of reality a little worrisome.

In spite of all of the laws broken by Clinton administration officials, how many spent time in jail for actions committed during government service? Other than Scooter Libby, who probably didn’t deserve incarceration at all, can you name any government employee, including Democratic Congressmen who have accepted bribes, who has actually been convicted of violating the public trust and done time?

If not, don’t preach to me about how the President needs to repent of all his sins before you cooperate with the Census. You may want to secede from the human race–I thought this site was for conservatives more than isolationists to congregate–but you have a responsibility of fighting today’s battles on today’s battleground. You cannot go back to fight the battles that your teammates already ceded as lost. You may disagree with your teammates, but if the red states are going to be represented like we need to be going into the 2012 elections we will need every sharp-shooting conservative fighting with us–not wandering around the rear areas muttering to themselves about how evil the other side is for not letting you get a clear shot.

Note to DHS: all references to war and battle are figurative in nature and should not be construed to be literal.

BTW, NONE of the employees whose fingerprints were fouled up are currently working for the Census. All current employees were fingerprinted by Law Enforcement officials.

BTW 2, I cannot speak for 2000, but in 1990 I worked in the field operations for the Census and was never fingerprinted. So I’m sure that there is a long tradition of the possibility of convicted felons working for the Census Bureau, but it was never a political football before, so no one cared.

rwenger43 on October 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Go ahead and as soon as one of these
Felon Acorn folks even hickups
I will throw his sorry ass off of my property
and tell him my name is Juan..

Hell i might get a free car out of the deal..

veteranoutrage on October 9, 2009 at 5:54 PM

rwenger43 on October 9, 2009 at 4:43 PM

I know the law and I know my rights, I have a MSS in Constitutional History and I am both former law enforcement and former military. That SCARES you, doesn’t it.

nelsonknows on October 10, 2009 at 12:14 AM

I answered one more … native American since I was born here. :)

Dukehoopsfan on October 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM

LOL..thanks..that’ll make 2 answers

Jeff from WI on October 10, 2009 at 6:23 AM

If I were to answer another question regarding my ethnicity, I would just have to say humanoid.

Recently, I have had to work with environmentalists, who would use the census to highlight too many humanoids are endangering all species (Dr. Doolittle).

Thus, I have filed with the Department of Interior to have my name/species placed on the endangered/protected species list.

MSGTAS on October 10, 2009 at 10:01 AM

Census is being used for social engeneering ,which isnt the gubments or anyone elses job.

widge8 on October 10, 2009 at 10:51 AM

nelsonknows

Shouldn’t scare me at all, because I’m glad we’re on the same side. I’m just afraid that you intend to tar all Census workers with the same brush that 1% of the temporary Census employees earned.

But if I’ve got as sharp a sharpshooter as you in my rear area not distinguishing between friend and foe, yer darn right, it scares me.

Tell me, if I am performing my Constitutionally-mandated responsibility, being paid by the Commerce Dept., and allowing respondents to the Census to dictate to me what I put down on the form—–do I need to be afraid of you? Which of those details makes me your enemy?

Furthermore, can you tell me from your knowledge of history if the Census Bureau has ever been able to guarantee that they were not employing felons on a temporary basis?

(I believe the action we conservatives should be taking now is to pressure the Census Bureau to re-fingerprint all temp. employees whose check was done improperly, and to not allow persons whose check doesn’t clear to work in the remaining phases of the project. Since cost and difficulty has not been a concern of the CB heretofore, it shouldn’t become one now. I do not believe that conservatives boycotting Census activities will solve the problem. All that knowledge of the past is impressive, but if you had a clue how much the government and private industry already know about you, you’d realize that the data the Census wants is child’s play.)

rwenger43 on October 10, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Let me be more clear than Obama is when he says “Let me be clear.”

Without consigning all convicted felons to the scrap bin of life, I share the outrage that a better screening process was not done, and I’m even more outraged than you guys because I saw how many people were turned away, and the grounds on which they were turned away, as well as how many more people were hired than were actually needed.

Some convicted felons can be good employees in certain fields and in performing certain tasks. (A friend of mine is the headmaster of a remedial school. He recently received his last misdemeanor speeding ticket allowable in my state for the next 3 years. If he gets another speeding ticket, he will be charged with a felony and his life as he knows it will change forever.)Obviously, entrusting someone who lies about their felony status with the responsibility of visiting individual homes without additional supervision is ludicrous and irresponsible.

I know the irresponsibility of this at least as well as my law enforcement friends.

In the earlier stages of this project I mapped thousands of residences, where many of the owners were appropriately watchful of the stranger in their neighborhood whose only visible means of I>D> was an 8″ x 11″ cheap, rain-soaked cardboard sign to post on the windshield of his (my)car which may or may not have been parked in the same block. My I.D. badge was handwritten and did not have a photo, nor was the writing on my black bag always visible to everyone as I walked.

In spite of this, you would be amazed (well, maybe you ex-law enforcement types wouldn’t be) how many kids opened the door when I knocked; and when I started my government-dictated spiel, they would interrupt me with “My parents won’t be home until____.” At that point I always deviateed from my Preset-in-Washington spiel long enough to tell them they should not ever give that info to a stranger, regardless of where he says he’s from. Very few of them appreciated my advice, so I wonder if anyone learned from it.

So I appreciate the safety issues.

But we need to practice home safety all the time. Don’t turn the Census worker into the boogeyman when so many other safety- and Constitutional-based threats are out there. And I repeat that I have never met anyone from ACORN.

rwenger43 on October 10, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Maybe I haven’t done a very good job of explaining my point and I apologize about that. My problem is NOT with the normal census worker, my problem is with the violations of the Constitution and of the law by one, Barrack Obama and by those who are associated with him, but I ALSO have a problem with ANYONE trying to ram something illegal down my throat, saying that it is my “civic duty”, when in fact, my number one civic duty is to support and defend the Constitution from all enemies, both foreign and domestic.
As for ACORN, they have been operating, taking the actual enumeration in CALIFORNIA, since the start of this summer, accompanied by persons wearing red ACORN t-shirts. Do I believe this is happening in all states?…Probably not, but I KNOW for a FACT it is happening in the State to which I currently reside and I will hold to the laws and my Constitution.
I wish you good luck and safety and I believe that if you witness any wrong-doing with the census, I am confident this will be reported.

nelsonknows on October 10, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Thanks.

You’ve got that right.

But I’m also sure that I will have no idea which lane of the bureaucracy handles “inappropriate government coercion” reports when turned in from the inside.

rwenger43 on October 12, 2009 at 4:04 PM