Video: Letterman apologizes to staff, wife, Sarah Palin

posted at 4:15 pm on October 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

Via Breitbart. I wrote two posts yesterday about this train barreling down the track, so it’s only right that you get to see footage of the wreck. The Palin apology at the very end is treated as a joke, but console yourselves with this, ‘Cuda fans: I’m sure he was never sorry in the first place.

A weird poll result from Rasmussen:

Twenty-nine percent (29%) of Americans say they are less like to watch CBS’ “Late Night with David Letterman” following the talk show host’s admission that he has had affairs with women who work on the show.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that five percent (5%) say that Letterman’s disclosure of sexual misbehavior makes them more likely to watch the show, but 63% say it has no impact on their viewing decisions.

It’s quaint to think that nearly a third of the public’s ready to take a stand against adultery, but if that’s their red line for celebrity immorality, they’re leaving themselves some mighty thin entertainment options. In an age when any right-thinking Hollywood auteur is willing to sign his name to a petition in support of a fugitive child-rapist, Dave’s misdeeds are a low-level misdemeanor at best. Obligatory exit question: Who’s the five percent?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Oh please tell me you have bought into that lie that Palin charged rape victims for rape kits–cause I am soooo ready to rip you up on that….

lovingmyUSA on October 6, 2009 at 5:16 PM

Dave could show his deep regret by sending a 50k check to Sarah’s organization.

Speakup on October 6, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Palin should then in turn send a 50K check to a Rape-Rape program for young girls, or a Women’s Rape-Rape shelter.

portlandon on October 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I was responding to another Poster who said Lettermen should give Sarah 50K.

portlandon on October 6, 2009 at 5:34 PM

I posted this on an earlier thread, but I think it applies here as well, as people decide how “brave” Dave’s new tack is:

Actually, it is a pretty amazing display of courage for someone who in his entire almost 60 years of life has shown himself to be a snarky, skanky, spineless toady of the Democratic Party Establishment, content to pick only the lowest-hanging of comedic fruits — one would assume because he lacks the backbone required to stand up.

For those of us for whom taking responsibility for our actions, and behaving as best we can in an honorable fashion, is an every day occurrence, it may be hard to notice Letterman’s extreme bravery.

For his studio audience, it was not.

notropis on October 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM

Um, I’m still waiting for the apology to his wife. Last night he did NOT apologize to her, his son, or his mother. Here’s a transcript:

I’m terribly sorry that I put the staff in that position. Inadvertently, I just wasn’t thinking ahead. And, moreover, the staff here has been wonderfully supportive to me, not just through this furor, but through all the years that we’ve been on television and especially all the years here at CBS, so, again, my thanks to the staff for, once again, putting up with something stupid I’ve gotten myself involved in.

“Now the other thing is my wife, Regina. She has been horribly hurt by my behavior, and when something happens like that, if you hurt a person and it’s your responsibility, you try to fix it. And at that point, there’s only two things that can happen: either you’re going to make some progress and get it fixed, or you’re going to fall short and perhaps not get it fixed, so let me tell you folks, I got my work cut out for me.

Show me where he says “I apologize to my wife.”

cannonball on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

He is a slimeball.

cannonball on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Did you see how, when he “apologized” to Sarah Palin, the crowd laughed?

SuperManGreenLantern on October 6, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Did you see how, when I said ‘all Palin jokes aside,’ I meant ‘all Palin jokes aside?’

fact.

upinak on October 6, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Fact: You have no facts. Quit beclowning yourself…I never said I approved of what he did, just the way he’s not trying to deny, deny, deny.

This is no witchunt-the man was found out.

Badger40 on October 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Hey, that’s great. If it was in fact a witch hunt, wouldn’t denial be the proper action?

James on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

I have some very strong opinions on this topic about Letterman – which I would like to post here… but unfortunately I’m late for my afternoon delight and I still have to pick up my smoking jacket from the dry cleaners. It had some stains on it… well, never mind.

Mr_Magoo on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

AP – You’re a smart man. Surely you can find topics of value about which to write. Please, quit wasting space with this trash.

publiuspen on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

What a jerk! By concluding this bit with an obviously insincere apology to Sarah Palin, he dilutes whatever sincerity he may have intended to his wife and staff. If I had any residual sympathy for the man, I’m free of it now.

kozmocostello on October 6, 2009 at 5:47 PM

And for the record-if a Conservative politician were to do this, I would immediately demand his resignation.
So wehre is Dave’s resignation? Hmm?

Did you demand Rush Limbaugh’s resignation?

YYZ on October 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM

publiuspen on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

On the Internet, space is infinite. If you can’t decide what to do with it on your own, that’s not his fault.

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Mostly I,I,I, or me,me,me in that pretty speech. Sounds familiar. I would have to look long and hard (sorry)to find an apology. I also didn’t see anything about not doing the same behavior again.

Kissmygrits on October 6, 2009 at 5:55 PM

“The End”
Burt Reynolds played the guy who was drowning. Dom Delois was in it too. So was Sally Field.
Whew, now I can sleep tonight. :)

SuperManGreenLantern on October 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Yes, that is unbelievable…what a mind.

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 5:56 PM

When does he resign and why is he taking so long? This Letterman pervert and his 15 minutes of fame is long overdue.

IntheNet on October 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM

For his studio audience, it was not.

notropis on October 6, 2009 at 5:36 PM

This is a joke right?
He apologized because 29% of his audience are ready to bail…his marketing men and producers will be out of a job.
He does and says what he is told…he was told to apologize, he apologizes.
They took a huge hit from his Palin’s comments, now this…Hollywood isn’t full of brave souls, they are full of greedy souls.
Advertisers pay his bills…if they bail, he loses, he loses millions.
Remember how arrogant he was after his snide comments about Palin…then he sorta apologized, now this, the “straw”…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM

I’d love to know how anyone with an I.Q. north of 50 could watch this sad sap.He’s NOT funny, he’s goofy looking, he’s got a mean streak a mile long.

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 6:03 PM

Oh, I forgot the biggest thing, he’s a PIG preying on kids.

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 6:04 PM

Now Dave knows what happens when you throw stones.

yoda on October 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I guess Dave doesn’t understand an apology doesn’t mean squat if you give it only because you got caught, and when you knowing acted like a complete hypocrit.

Letterman is a scumbag and god knows what else if he’s making sex jokes about underage girls while sleeping with ones that could be his grandchildren.

Rbastid on October 6, 2009 at 6:08 PM

This is a joke right?

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 6:00 PM

No, it was an insult, directed at Letterman and his studio audience.

Perhaps it was too subtle….

notropis on October 6, 2009 at 6:11 PM

Did you demand Rush Limbaugh’s resignation?

YYZ on October 6, 2009 at 5:50 PM

For doing what?

fogw on October 6, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Sarah may need to get a restraining order for this perv…he seems obsessed with her! Not kidding!

DanaSmiles on October 6, 2009 at 6:39 PM

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2009 at 5:51 PM

Whilst this story clearly titillates you, it does lower the SNR here.

Anders on October 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I’m sorry that douche is still on the air!

MCGIRV on October 6, 2009 at 7:00 PM

publiuspen on October 6, 2009 at 5:44 PM

Right Allah, it’s supposed to be ALL POLITICS, ALL THE TIME!!! This is supposed to be about SERIOUS stuff here–have you no shame???

Whilst this story clearly titillates you, it does lower the SNR here.

Anders on October 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM

You better not go on the masterbation thread then..

lovingmyUSA on October 6, 2009 at 7:02 PM

O, I’m definitely in that 5%.

Kim Hartveld on October 6, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Over all these years I have wather the Letterman show maybe 4 or 5 times. And each time I thought he was a foul-minded, preppy, prick of a man with bad hair that was a waste of my time to watch more. I was right all along.

MikeA on October 6, 2009 at 7:42 PM

Whatever the case, rename the show The Creep Show with David Letterman. Cheating is bad enough, but the man is a serial sexual harasser. He USED women who were his subordinates and likely inexplicably looked up to him. He used them, and his power over them, for sex.

A MASSIVE, MONUMENTAL FEMINIST OUTCRY about to begin in 3…2…1

Never mind! I forgot the all-important Feminists’ double standard: Dave the Creep’s a libtard.

Sweet_Thang on October 6, 2009 at 7:56 PM

The funny thing is how few people here have a sense of humor.

The Palin apology was sarcasm, duh.

Moesart on October 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM

That’s a lot of “sorrys” lately.

pjean on October 6, 2009 at 9:41 PM

Video: Letterman apologizes to staff, wife, Sarah Palin

Letterman apologizing.

This has to be the first time in history that a liberal has admitted they were wrong.

Baxter Greene on October 6, 2009 at 10:22 PM

Whilst this story clearly titillates you, it does lower the SNR here.

Anders on October 6, 2009 at 6:50 PM

And here you are again.

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Video: Letterman apologizes to staff, wife, Sarah Palin

…and Dave didn’t blame it on Bush.
Another liberal first.

Baxter Greene on October 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM

The funny thing is how few people here have a sense of humor.

The Palin apology was sarcasm, duh.

Moesart on October 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM

Yes, we know, stupid.

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM

You doddering old pervert! I’m sure your wife was REALLY impressed with THAT apology!

hopefloats on October 6, 2009 at 10:52 PM

SCREW YOU DOUCHEBAG LETTERMEN! YOU DESERVE THE SAME MERCY YOU SHOW OTHERS! YOU HAVE MADE A CAREER OF DENGRATING OTHERS! SO HOW DOES IT FEEL!

sonnyspats1 on October 6, 2009 at 11:39 PM

Sarah will do Conan’s show, Leno’s, and Ferguson’s and that will be fine.

Her book will sell even more assuming they order another 1.5 million from the printers.

It’s gonna hit 5 million in the first year.

Sapwolf on October 6, 2009 at 4:27 PM

There’s a really cute video of Sarah on the Craig Ferguson show on You Tube. This was back when Craig was still trying to get his citizenship, and he had different Governors making him an “honorary citizen” of their state.

It’s was a funny bit, and of course she was in Alaska. Craig, much like Glenn Beck, was quite smitten, kept saying she had that “sexy librarian look” but in a nice way, like Beck calling her “one hot grandma!”

BTW, Sarah just kicked Obama’s ass TWICE tonight!

First on Afghanistan and second on the crashing dollar, and energy independence!

This is going to be fun from now until 2012!!

Oh, and Letterman still sucks!

gary4205 on October 7, 2009 at 2:10 AM

He was, once again, offensive towards Sarah Palin.

AnninCA on October 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM

It isn’t so much the adultery that bugs people, it’s his attitude. Not only is he treating this as a big joke (which you would kind of expect) but he seems to be trying to capitalize on it. Creepy. Even my mom (a lifelong Democrat) has stopped watching. She just discovered that Conan O’ is actually funny, which Letterman hasn’t been for years.

JackOfClubs on October 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM

Uhhh… I took the Palin part as a joke to end the little thing here; like a punch line for a bad joke. I took it as a left handed insinuation/unspoken joke that he and Sarah… well… you know…
Either way, Dave sucks.