Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:05 am on October 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

Why didn’t the IOC award the Olympic Games to Chicago after a personal presentation from Barack Obama? They may have gotten the idea that Chicago was a town of hundreds of people, rather than a metropolis of a few million — or perhaps just disinterested in sports. Obama bragged about a remarkably small scale of satisfied spectators:

Chicago is a place where we strive to celebrate what makes us different just as we celebrate what we have in common. It’s a place where our unity is on colorful display at so many festivals and parades, and especially sporting events, where perfect strangers become fast friends just because they’re wearing the same jersey. It’s a city that works — from its first World’s Fair more than a century ago to the World Cup we hosted in the nineties, we know how to put on big events. And scores of visitors and spectators will tell you that we do it well.

Really? Scores, huh? Maybe Obama doesn’t realize that “score” means twenty when counting. If Chicago can only brag that their decades of sports tradition has only impressed “scores of visitors and spectators,” one can hardly blame the IOC for tossing Chicago in the first round.

Of course, Chicago’s sports tradition has impressed millions of spectators and visitors. But I’m wondering if Obama thinks a score outranks a million.

Update: Forgot the hat-tip to Ron Page at The Local Malcontent.  Click over and send him my apologies, please!

Comments

Yeah, like it was just scores of people at the 912 march. Just words…

publiuspen on October 6, 2009 at 8:08 AM

I hope he sends in more than scores of troops.

therightscoop on October 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM

“Scores” Ever since Lincoln used it, it sounds presidential. Didn’t “scores” offer their last full measure of devotion??

dts-01 on October 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM

Yup…great Obama speechafying…spending time, lips moving, saying nothing.

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 8:12 AM

Dolt.

ladyingray on October 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM

“Four score and seven years ago our forefathers brought forth upon this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the principle that all men are created equal.”

Can’t imagine that this quote rings a bell with him, though.

zenscreamer on October 6, 2009 at 8:13 AM

Oh, so when Obama told me not to worry, that my stock portfolio would still be scores better after his first term, he just meant 20 or 40 points?

myrenovations on October 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Obama is a true american embarrassment.

jbh45 on October 6, 2009 at 8:14 AM

Man, statements like that… Yes, I know all pols make dumb statements like that, but, jeez – inspiring!

That’s what they strive for, eh?

Maybe he meant a thousand score, ha. That would be almost likes saying tens of visitors, or even dozens of visitors.

I guess one of his dumb speechwriters thought score sounded sports-like. Or, more likely, The One thinks it makes him look smarter to use words like “scores”. I mean, afterall, Lincoln did.

reaganaut on October 6, 2009 at 8:16 AM

You’d think that someone who regularly invokes Lincoln and wants everyone to think he’s Lincoln’ second-coming, might know what a “score” is.

Or, just maybe I-bama thinks the country was founded millions of years ago, plus 7.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 8:19 AM

How about staying home to do your job?

yoda on October 6, 2009 at 8:20 AM

Maybe he meant score referring to the tons of money his posse of slumlords would make selling their land for the Olympics.

kingsjester on October 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Maybe it was a Freudian slip and he told the truth about visitors to Chicago???

doriangrey on October 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

Hey,score,trillion…Only numbers.

katy the mean old lady on October 6, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Actually, in Obama’s defense, more recent usage of the word may imply a value far higher. For example, Bill Clinton scores with the ladies. We all know that’s way more than 20.

trubble on October 6, 2009 at 8:24 AM

The only people who don’t know Chicago is one of the world’s greatest cities are those who never heard of the place. It’s also known, given all the press, Chicago is from where Barack Hussein Obama hails.

Maybe I’m wrong but I don’t believe Obama’s speech made the IOC reject Chicago. I think the IOC, and many world leaders, reject Obama himself. That’s why, in my opinion, Chicago was rejected as an Olympic site in the first round. It’s not the city, it’s the White House guy himself.

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM

First US President to travel for a city to win the games. But the media kept mentioning that “Other leaders went there”. Yes, but maybe they weren’t the new, minority race version of The Beverly Hillibillies which we sent over there.

IlikedAUH2O on October 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM

When it came to Chicago, if the IOC didn’t ‘Wanna,’ well, they just weren’t ‘Gonna.’ I doubt the Big O’s speech helped much.

TimBuk3 on October 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM

I liked the line “as a faithful American.” Yeah, faithful at bashing America where ever he goes and making everything about him.

I also wish his speech writers wouldn’t start sentences with “and.” Drives me nuts.

Beaglemom on October 6, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Obama never says what he means:

Obama; The government does not want to run car companies.

“Instead of awarding large cash salaries, Kenneth Feinberg is planning to shift a chunk of an employee’s annual salary into stock that cannot be accessed for several years, these people said. Such a move, the most intrusive yet into corporate compensation, would mark the government’s first effort to curb the take-home pay of everyone from auto executives to financial traders.”

Johnnyreb on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

“Barry, I see your lips moving, but you ain’t saying nothin’”

anniekc on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

TimBuk3 on October 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM

One of the IOC officials came out after Chicago was eliminated and said that the briefness and dry and lacking in details speech by Obama actually hurt Chicago.

doriangrey on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

From his own mouth…”He’s a jackass!” Finally, something BHO and I agree on!

indypat on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

kingsjester on October 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

I think that’s the most likely explanation: a sort of Freudian slip.

mr.blacksheep on October 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM

MAKE IT STOP!

D2Boston on October 6, 2009 at 8:39 AM

…scores of visitors and spectators will tell you that we do it well.

…while hundreds of thousands take another view.

ROCnPhilly on October 6, 2009 at 8:43 AM

As I’ve said all along, examine any one of Mr. Flakey’s speeches, and you’ll see that they’re almost always a sequence of vapid non sequiturs, the meaning of which is whatever the listener wants to project into them. I guess the IOC didn’t do the kind of projecting our veneer president hoped for. He probably did the citizens of Chicago, and American taxpayers, a big favor.

mr.blacksheep on October 6, 2009 at 8:44 AM

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I agree that the horrible speeches of the I-bamas had little to do with the ultimate decision.

The first round rejection of Chi Town says “scores” more, however. If they had voted it to the final round and then selected Rio, it would’ve allowed I-bama to save face.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

why doesn’t he spend time figuring out how to kill AQ, hamas, the Tally-ban, the Somali pirates & all the other world’s terrorists?

kelley in virginia on October 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM

I like Chicago. I love visiting there any chance I get. Nevertheless, the above description is not the Chicago I know. And I’m not even referencing the story last week where those thugs “celebrated” academic excellence by beating that student to death.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM

Sorry Ed, but you’re wrong here… Obama’s terminology is perfectly fine…

wordnet

ninjapirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:50 AM

I hate to interrupt the daily dispatch of Obama Derangement Syndrome, but I’ve got some bad news, Ed.
Should have checked out the definition yourself.

From dictionary.com:

11. a group or set of 20: about a score of years ago.
12. scores, a great many: Scores of people were at the dance.

The word score meant twenty and has evovled to also meet a large indeterminate number.

When does this Edamateurism of the Day get started up?

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Maybe you’re reading it the wrong way. Re-parse it:

“World Cup … And scores of visitors and spectators will tell you that we do it well.”

Maybe he’s talking about the visitors and spectators scoring goals. Did the visitors and spectators storm the field at some point and score some goals to help out their favorite team? I mean, I wouldn’t put anything past Chicago.

shazbat on October 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM

So would that be approximately 3.5 millions of scores of brain-dead kool-aid drinkers in the good ol’ US of A?

Gang-of-One on October 6, 2009 at 8:53 AM

And scores of visitors and spectators will tell you that we do it well.

Good one. Worth framing. Oh the advantages of a Harvard education. Scores of graduates do well.

Basilsbest on October 6, 2009 at 8:55 AM

There are scores of Cubs fans around the country. Don’t know why, but there are.

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 8:56 AM

doriangrey on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

Does one expect a flashing disco ball when they go to the Sistine Chapel? Chicago had the two Os on the same stage. The IOC should have been happy to simply bask in the glow of all that awesomeness and immediately give the games to the city.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 8:58 AM

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Never heard scores used to describe millions. A dance crowd sure, but millions? Not. No one would say, “There are scores of people in Chicago.” Obooba might, but no real person would.

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 8:59 AM

doriangrey on October 6, 2009 at 8:30 AM

This might well have contributed to Chicago’s ultimate defeat, however, the first round rejection, with 80% votes against, was a bitch-slap ‘cross I-bama’s pretty face.

With that vote, the IOC was saying NO to arrogance, hubris, and ego, which the speeches of both I-bamas only underscored.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

There are scores of people without health insurance. The remaining quarter billion of us must act now!

yeah that make sense.

trubble on October 6, 2009 at 9:00 AM

…Hence, what the IOC did was a personal bitch-slapping across the face, sending him a message from the world.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

It seems so. The world allegedly ‘hated’ Bush but, despite all the media spin, they don’t much like Obama, either. Bush stood his ground and was not a man to be messed with. Obama, on the other hand, is more wishy-washy than Charlie Brown.

Hell, when the President of France is more a man that the President of the United States, something is seriously wrong with our country.

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Test.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

b. The act or an instance of buying illicit drugs.
c. A successful robbery.
d. A sexual conquest.

Now we know what he was really thinking…

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 9:03 AM

dts-01 on October 6, 2009 at 8:11 AM

ha…That was my first thought! He used the word because Lincoln did.
Empty suit.

bridgetown on October 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 8:45 AM

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Good thing this Olympic thingie came up else Obooba never woulda met Gen. McChrystal.

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

No doubt. Never thought I’d live to see the day..

bridgetown on October 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM

“Four score and seven years ago…”

Four million years ago? Four hundred thousand? Four hundred? What?

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I’m a beta male
That’s plain to see
When I wear my mom jeans
I squat to pee
But I have a Teleprompter
And I’ll spew some demagoguery
Until I’m ten feet tall and bulletproof

I get in campaign mode
Each time I have the chance
The media helps me
Hell, I even campaign in France
I see my halo
And I don’t care that you can’t
When I’m ten feet tall and bulletproof

When I start to feel like The Savior
It’s time I make a speech
And if there’s something important to do
I head off to the beach
I don’t need no stinking lessons
I just need to preach
Each time I read the New York Times
I’m ten feet tall and bulletproof

csdeven on October 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Wasn’t Obama supposed to be the next Lincoln or something?

Meh.

pain train on October 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 9:04 AM

Not unless they were invited to the same party.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

the new, minority race version of The Beverly Hillibillies which we sent over there. IlikedAUH2O on October 6, 2009 at 8:26 AM

Literally lol-ed.

Akzed on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Wasn’t Obama supposed to be the next Lincoln or something?

Meh.

pain train on October 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM

I’m going with “or something.”

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 AM

No doubt. Never thought I’d live to see the day..

bridgetown on October 6, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Me, either. Not even feminists respect beta males.

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:12 AM

We’ve had scores of new jobs created too. In ’10 the Dhimmicrats will have scores of voters.

Mojave Mark on October 6, 2009 at 9:14 AM

The Obama Administration.

The Chicago Cubs of politics.

Except the Cubs are lovable losers.

NoDonkey on October 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM

Wasn’t Obama supposed to be the next Lincoln or something?

Meh.

pain train on October 6, 2009 at 9:06 AM

Lincoln Chafee?

He’s almost there.

NoDonkey on October 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Scores means a whole lot less than millions!

flytier on October 6, 2009 at 9:18 AM

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Two comments on that:

1. You had to get down to the 12th definition to defend I-bama?

2. “the fact that you had to look it up, means your stretching”. Obama taught us that. Dictionaries are hereby invalid in defending your argument. After all, they’re just facts.

NickelAndDime on October 6, 2009 at 9:24 AM

kelley in virginia on October 6, 2009 at 8:46 AM

Kelley-I believe the correct pronunciation is ‘Tall-ee-bon’.
See also ‘Pock-ee-ston’.
See also ‘Total-mor-on’.

justltl on October 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

Glad you mentioned Bush. After all, Chicago was voted to be among the finalists some time before the 2008 elections when, obviously, 43 was president.

I think this proves the I-bama bitch-slapping was quite personal to him and not to the USA as a whole.

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 9:39 AM

Can’t imagine that this quote rings a bell with him, though.

zenscreamer on October 6, 2009

Of course it does.
Four score and seven speeches ago, our obamessiah brought forth upon this continent a transformed nation, conceieved in liberality and dedicated to the principle that all men deserve equal outcomes.

SKYFOX on October 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

“HE SHOOTS! HE SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!”

“WHOOPS! OH, MY!!! He just put it in the other country’s net.”

“Bob, over to you…”

Yoop on October 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM

Liam on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 AM

TXUS on October 6, 2009 at 9:44 AM

Kelley-I believe the correct pronunciation is ‘Tall-ee-bon’.
See also ‘Pock-ee-ston’.
See also ‘Total-mor-on’.

justltl on October 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM

OT:

Anybody notice that, on Fox News last night, in an inetrview General Wesley Clark is now pronouncing it ‘Pock-ee-ston’. Not once, but about a dozen times.

Yoop on October 6, 2009 at 9:48 AM

CrockObama does not know about “scores” and neither do we because we’ve never seen his college transcripts or his high school “scores”.

The Obama Administration.

The Chicago Cubs of politics.

Except the Cubs are lovable losers.

NoDonkey on October 6, 2009 at 9:17 AM

And David Letterman has losable lovers.

dthorny on October 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM

Should have checked out the definition yourself.

From dictionary.com:

11. a group or set of 20: about a score of years ago.
12. scores, a great many: Scores of people were at the dance.

When does this Edamateurism of the Day get started up?

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

When Obama learns to speak Austrian and tours ALL 57 states in the predominately Muslim country we call America.

dthorny on October 6, 2009 at 10:31 AM

When does this Edamateurism of the Day get started up?

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

When revisionism supersedes urtext, and when e-pirate learns to spell properly before lecturing others on English.

maverick muse on October 6, 2009 at 10:44 AM

dthorny on October 6, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Obama pigs fly.

maverick muse on October 6, 2009 at 10:46 AM

Should have checked out the definition yourself.

From dictionary.com:

11. a group or set of 20: about a score of years ago.
12. scores, a great many: Scores of people were at the dance.

When does this Edamateurism of the Day get started up?

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

So Obama is pitching the IOC that ChiTown is the best place for the Olympics and he uses the term “score” when he could have used the term “millions” which would have been a more accurate unambiguous description. Ed’s got it right. Thanks for playing.

csdeven on October 6, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Kelley-I believe the correct pronunciation is ‘Tall-ee-bon’.
See also ‘Pock-ee-ston’.
See also ‘Total-mor-on’.

justltl on October 6, 2009 at 9:30 AM

I’ve been looking for a sound byte, that I heard on the radio last week, (or even a video of the speech) where Obama was talking about the Iranians and pronounced it “Eye-ron-ee-uns”. I’m expecting the MSM to pick up on this and start pronouncing it the same way just so their messiah is not wrong.

Left Coast Right Mind on October 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM

The Obumbler can’t even get a baseball to the plate nor remember the names of the local Chicago teams. He was one of the worst possible choices to go sell sporting events.

jukin on October 6, 2009 at 11:02 AM

All zero’s mental deficiencies, his progressive fascism, even his ugly wife is all Bush’s fault.

Even his inability to count is Bush’s fault.

You didn’t know this?

Spiritk9 on October 6, 2009 at 11:45 AM

He dribbles, he shoots, he scores!

And no, I am not talking about beta-male Obama. I am talking about me.

ExpressoBold on October 6, 2009 at 12:36 PM

Maybe it was a Freudian slip and he told the truth about visitors to Chicago???

doriangrey on October 6, 2009 at 8:22 AM

IF this is the first time the liar in chief told the truth, he’s saying that his people were able to find scores of visitors and spectators that will say they do it well out of the several million people who live and work in Cook County every day.

Blacksmith8 on October 6, 2009 at 1:07 PM

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I grew up in cook county. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities on the planet. I, too, like Chicago, but a world class city it is NOT.

jbh45 on October 6, 2009 at 1:39 PM

He should have had the CBO score this number. It would definitely been higher than what Obama tried to convey as an accurate number.

chickasaw42 on October 6, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Scores of Czars!

IlikedAUH2O on October 6, 2009 at 2:14 PM

Should have checked out the definition yourself.

From dictionary.com:

11. a group or set of 20: about a score of years ago.
12. scores, a great many: Scores of people were at the dance.

When does this Edamateurism of the Day get started up?

e-pirate on October 6, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Large as in hundreds, or large as in millions? Using “scores” to mean large as in hundreds is common, but nobody says “scores” to refer to millions, or even thousands. It’s a matter of scale.

Ed’s right, you’re wrong. You should be used to that by now.

tom on October 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

I agree with Ed, who is using the classical definition.

Where is scores defined as a large, indefinite number? Even when indefiniteness is inferred, the suggestion is in the hundreds. Not millions.

IlikedAUH2O on October 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

…as hundreds of visitors will attest…(since they haven’t seen Rezko’s developments or paid Daley’s taxes)

IlikedAUH2O on October 6, 2009 at 2:20 PM