CBS flunks research and journalism

posted at 9:30 am on October 6, 2009 by Ed Morrissey

How difficult is it to click on a link and check a quote?  Apparently too difficult for CBS News, which criticizes conservative bloggers, including me, for pointing out a rather large discrepancy in two stories told by the Obamas about their daughter Sasha as a means to push ObamaCare.  In a piece they call “Taking Liberties,” CBS “fact checks” our comparison of the two stories:

A conservative blogger concluded: “Today Mrs. Obama says (Sasha) was four months old but fortunately did not have meningitis. Yet just eight days ago her husband said she was three months old and was diagnosed with meningitis.” One blog used the opportunity to reprint the Obama-as-Joker photo, HotAir.com called it “serious incompetence” on the Obamas’ part, it appeared on Breitbart.tv, and the crowd over at FreeRepublic.com dubbed the president a “chronic liar.”

There’s just one problem with this nice little gotcha story. There’s no evidence that either Obama lied.

There’s just one problem with CBS’ reporting.  They never address the New York Times report that said this:

In her speech, Mrs. Obama also told the story of how her daughter Sasha would not stop crying when she was 4 months old. A doctor’s visit revealed she might have meningitis; she ultimately did not, but the illness produced a scare.

Now, I didn’t go to J-school or anything, but if Sasha didn’t have meningitis and Barack Obama claimed she did, that would be untrue, wouldn’t it?  Mrs. Obama told the story with a little more care, never claiming that Sasha had meningitis, and Jeff Zeleny apparently checked it out a little more carefully than CBS did.  Or, if McCullaghhas a problem with Zeleny’s reporting, he should have checked that out rather than attack people for relying on it.

Jammie Wearing Fool lays it out succinctly:

So all we did was point out the obvious: Barack Obama claimed his daughter was diagnosed with meningitis at three months old, while the NY Times report says she was four months old and did not have meningitis. Oh, but we’re supposed to be the ones factually challenged, according to CBS News. That’s CBS News, of all places. You remember them: It’s fake, but accurate.

Maybe if Declan Mccullagh wants to do his homework he ought to call the reporter at the New York Times instead of taking a cheapshot at conservative blogs for something we pointed out three weeks ago. Better yet, maybe Mccullagh and the rest of the “mainstream” media should have noticed the obvious differences in their stories last month when the rest of us pointed this out. But no, they can’t do that. Instead they have to take a swipe at the folks doing the work the media refuses to do.

Normally, McCullagh does better work than this, but this is just embarrassing.  We specifically included the New York Times link in our blog posts and quoted Zeleny.  McCullagh assumes Zeleny’s wrong without any independent reporting to show it, just to blame bloggers for using his reporting as the basis of our posts.  I’d say this effort should win McCullagh the Mary Mapes Award at CBS.

Next time, read the whole post and click the links, Tiffany Network.  And if you don’t like the source material, show that it’s wrong.

Update: And let’s remember the context of these posts.  Barack Obama has told a string of tall tales himself in public to push health-care reform.  What does CBS do in response?  Go after Obama’s critics.  Yeah, that’s telling truth to power, all right.

Update II: Cleaned up the argument in the final paragraph a bit.

Update III: In my post, I said that McCullagh “never addresses” the New York Times piece, which is sloppy and inaccurate.  He did address it, just long enough to note that we relied on it for our posts, and then ignores its implications, which is that we had a good reason to point out the differences in the two stories and to conclude that President Obama exaggerated the tale for effect.  I apologize to Declan for not being clearer on that point, but Declan needs to either prove Zeleny wrong or admit that we were right — and that we relied on Zeleny’s reporting in good faith in the first place.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Thing is in the couple of hours of waiting for test results they did not treat for meningitis. Weird huh.

More like unbelieable.

Obama is a lying fool Blake. Get over it.

mauioriginal on October 6, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Apparently, so are you.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Are you on meds? Seriously. Get off this website. You’re crazy. Verbally assaulting everyone in sight just because they don’t like Obama and call him a liar is one thing, but verbally assaulting me just because I pointed out your obvious typo is another. Get a grip. And just so you know, I actually respect Obama a lot more than 90% of the people on this website. You’re the asshole. Toodaloo (I’m sure that’s spelled wrong, but I won’t go postal if you make fun of it.)

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Brings a smile to my lips every time.

Oh, the struggling drowning representation of the former media looks exactly like Helen Thomas…Katie Couric

The Ronin Edge on October 6, 2009 at 10:32 AM

In my video, I’m using the oar stolen from a rowboat.

Blacksmith8 on October 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Did CBS say anything about Michelle O sitting on her dad’s lap watching Carl Lewis run in the Olympics when she was twenty years old. Ugh….

d1carter on October 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Hey Blake, do you get it now? Get it?

Now? I always knew you were dishonest.

Pretty obvious, you have to attack a liar, especially the one in power…me I am just a poster, and you went berserk.
But here is the lie right in print from your president…aren’t you disappointed?
Spin baby, spin…. right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 11:49 AM

You are a liar who attacked me personally. And no, I didn’t go berserk. You can’t even tell the truth about that. Pathetic. I can’t say I’m disappointed because I have never held a high opinion of you to begin with.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Has it been determined for a fact whether Sasha had meningitis or not?

drjohn on October 6, 2009 at 12:18 PM

Here’s the thing, there was a “scare”… the only problem is that Obama claimed there was a diagnosis when there wasn’t… that’s a reasonable mistake… it’s not really that big a deal and it was kind of dumb for blogs to pick up on it…

One time, maybe.

Three times? Not a chance.

drjohn on October 6, 2009 at 12:19 PM

Apparently, so are you.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:10 PM

Unlike your dear leader I can back up what I say with medical records.

You’re an angry little man Blake.

mauioriginal on October 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:11 PM

Tsk! Tsk! Nathan can’t read. If you had actually read the thread, you would see I respond to personal insults in kind. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out, sweetie.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM

I meet my daughter every morning at 5am to walk/jog for an hour and a half ever day. (She lives a few blocks away.)
Last week the back of my leg seemed sore.
Gee, I must have polio!!

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Do you realize how stupid you look referring to him as my hero? Do you realize that some people prefer to speak the truth no matter how unpopular it makes them? No, you wouldn’t know, because you wouldn’t know the truth if it smacked you in your fat face. You’re the nutjob who has an irrational hatred of cops. Piss off.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:06 PM

If I’ve mistaken you for a supporter of Barack Obama, you have my apology.

You’ve engaged in little more than ad hominem with some non-sequitur thrown in for good measure.

You never answered the question about you’re actually being a parent or not.

You made an assertion about parents that all parents here tell you is ridiculous.

While it’s true that sometimes speaking the truth can be unpopular, other times you have to consider that people are treating you badly because you’re acting like a jerk.

rokemronnie on October 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Guys, although I will be the first to admit that Blake can be a bull head, he is not an Obama supporter. His empathy for people in stressful situations is one of his redeeming qualities. No one is scoring brownie points in this tiff.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 12:28 PM

Unlike your dear leader I can back up what I say with medical records.

Then post them on the internet!

You’re an angry little man Blake.

mauioriginal on October 6, 2009 at 12:20 PM

Nah. I just insist on telling the truth whether or not it makes me unpopular and refuse to take insults from jerks like you.

Meningitis is potentially life-threatening and has a high mortality rate if untreated;[3] delay in treatment has been associated with a poorer outcome.[4] Thus treatment with wide-spectrum antibiotics should not be delayed while confirmatory tests are being conducted.[19] If meningococcal disease is suspected in primary care, guidelines recommend that benzylpenicillin be administered before transfer to hospital.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:22 PM

Get a grip. Typing “heh” because of a typo is not a personal insult. I just found it ironic that you were using the word “bipartisan” in the place of “partisan.” Those words obviously have two completely different meanings. It just speaks to the fact that you fly off the handle anytime somebody doesn’t pet you in the thread. And yes, I didn’t read the whole thread, sweetie. I admit I was wrong in that aspect. You won’t admit that you are wrong at all. While we’re on the subject, are you the one that attacked Baldilocks the other day? Certainly the same M.O.

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Seriously, haven’t you guys told a story and realized you have exaggerated and had to go back and correct the fact?

See, this is why I hate this type of petty story. It makes people argue over the stupidest things.

AnninCA on October 6, 2009 at 10:48 AM

I noticed you had absolutely no problem at chiming in did you?
btw notice the bold for emphasis
That’s what NORMAL people do. We go back and correct the fact because we are not secretly trying to game the system. We are basically honest and forthright. And yes, we see it as mandatory to correct the fact.
had to = obligation
correct = accuracy
fact = reality
These are not the words of the left are they Ann? But as for being petty, I won’t apologize nor will I give the idiot in chief a pass.

The point here is the total absence of personal integrity. Akbar doesn’t have any. He never did. His mentors helped him but the decision to lie, cheat, and steal remains completely in the head, heart, and hands.

Blacksmith8 on October 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

In response to the same being done to me.

You never answered the question about you’re actually being a parent or not.

Wow. That’s perceptive.

Even if what you posted was intelligible, no, I didn’t.

rokemronnie on October 6, 2009 at 12:26 PM

And you should stop lying. I was attacked by a mob and I see no reason to just roll over and take it. You may disagree but you may also piss off.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Piss off! Piss off! Everybody piss off!!! PISSSS OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM

But, you didn’t stop there, did you? You went on and on with your unclever snarky comments until your panties were completely twisted.

And you are so biased that you call personal attacks not being “pet”? Are you sane?

I’m not wrong. And I’m not the one who has resorted to lying. And apparently, you still haven’t learned your lesson:

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:34 PM

Nope. More evidence that you are delusional or just a complete lying jerk. Either way, time for you to get off the internet.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM

Piss off! Piss off! Everybody piss off!!! PISSSS OFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Yep. Definitely time for you to get off the internet, Natty.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I noticed you had absolutely no problem at chiming in did you?

On this I agree. These stories do irritate me. I should avoid them.

It’s swimming upstream, anyway.

AnninCA on October 6, 2009 at 12:53 PM

In the many offices of the network’s news chiefs:
bam-bam-bam-bam
“Will you please stop all that hammering???” says the Boss.
“Sorry, but we are under a strict deadline, no pun intended, to get the news department’s coffin ready.” states the carpenter.

TQM38a on October 6, 2009 at 12:54 PM

This story needs a more unique headline, to reduce confusion with all the other CBS failures of research and journalism.

HotWeaver on October 6, 2009 at 12:56 PM

Yep. Definitely time for you to get off the internet, Natty.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

You’re crazy….I sense some projection. And you attacking people in one fell swoop is typical of the guy who attacked Baldilocks and claimed she never served in the military. The same M.O. That doesn’t make me delusional or a liar. I just asked a question. You’re a jerk.

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Yep. Definitely time for you to get off the internet, Natty.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:47 PM

Do I have to use the sarcasm tag for you in every freakin’ post? My God. What the hell is wrong with you? Somebody called me a moron the other day on this website for chiding him for saying he would take glee in Obama’s death. Did I fly off the handle? No. And yes, you are wrong. Obama made a distortion in a speech. Big deal. I don’t care. So has every other politician.

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Well, well, I trapped this little weasel, and he is upset.

You are upset at me for “lying”, yet not at the president?
If you call me a liar, then please be honest and call the president a liar…believe me, it is worth my post to watch you defend your hypocrisy…I did the blogger equivalent to O’Keefe and Giles, came in as a “liar”, to trap you and it worked.
Be consistent…you now know that your president is a liar, right? I don’t care what you think of me, you are the one on trial for hypocrisy….get it now???
And you now admit that the president is a…(answer please)

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM

There’s too many of you aholes coming at me at once to respond to. As you dumba$$es have figured out,
Blake on October 6, 2009 at 10:38 AM

Sweeeeettt, a little thin skinned like his hero…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

That was that Theo guy. My real name is on my site and anyone who thinks I’m lying can check it out. But thanks.

Carry on.

baldilocks on October 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Carry on.

baldilocks on October 6, 2009 at 1:45 PM

Thanks for the info. He reminds me of that guy: refuses to admit that he is wrong and then attacks everybody when they call him on it. The way he treated you was atrocious.

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I am pretty sure he is the same guy as a banned poster…can’t remember his name.
But his sentence structure is very similar, he attacks when he exposed, and he only responds to challenges that he thinks he has an answer for, and ignores the rest…but then I guess that fits most every troll…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

I guess it’s a sign of the times that when I hear someone claim to do a fact check, I think to myself, “Here come the lies.”

These so-called fact checks have no more guarantee of accuracy than the stories they claim to “fact check.”

tom on October 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM

I am pretty sure he is the same guy as a banned poster…can’t remember his name.

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

So many trolls, so little time. :) Whatever happened to Simplesimon? I haven’t been back on here for a while. We need more people on here like Ann and crr6. They aren’t moonbats like most of the liberals we see on here.

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 2:18 PM

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

This is so weird, I recognize your name as someone who has been around for a while but you don’t recognize Blake as a long time commenter? Blake is neither a troll or an Leftie.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM

What’s with the ‘); //]]> symbol. I saw it at insty yesterday. Is it some sort of Guy Fawkes thing? Am I missing out on a secret handshake?

Jim R. on October 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 2:22 PM

There are certain people I don’t pay attention to, some have been around longer then me.
You I know, Baldi, tom, many others, most that make a good impression…this guy, I really don’t know, I imagine he posts, and blogs, by his comment of that he didn’t care for me much. But most of these type of guys I just blow off, or play with, they have meaningless points of views, and they are “closet bully’s”, mostly men who have been shoved around and they come and vent. I poke them to expose their hypocrisy and anger, as I did with blake, but I really don’t have much vested interest in him. He is a nasty little creature.
Blake is no Cindy Munford, that’s for sure…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Jim R. on October 6, 2009 at 2:27 PM

ummmm, this is a family blog, please refrain from bragging about “that”…if you want to brag about such a thing.

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:34 PM

I don’t understand your response, right2bright. I’m not bragging about anything and I don’t know what “that” is.

Jim R. on October 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

You sweet talker. Sorry to get involved but I will go mom in a heart beat and for some odd reason I find something to like in most of the long time commenters. I guess in the big picture there are worse flaws. Again, please excuse the interruption.

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Jim R. on October 6, 2009 at 2:38 PM

I was just kidding you…I have no idea what “that” is, I tried to google it on the urban dictionary, which I use all the time to try to keep up with new words.

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:44 PM

“Fake But Accurate” was the New York Times. They actually used that in a headline about the Rathergate memos.

Jim Treacher on October 6, 2009 at 2:45 PM

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

It was not an interruption…hard to do that on a free for all blog…I have been critized, and often for good reason, by you, Baldi, Romeo, upinak, many…but I honestly don’t take it personally, since I don’t personally know any of you. We could all be computer programs, written to respond to whatever is stated…stated…stated…stated…stated…stated…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Now, I didn’t go to J-school or anything,

Then you sir have not learned to manufacture your own truth.

Grafted on October 6, 2009 at 3:01 PM

Let me say one more time: If they think the kid has meningitis they treat it as if it did have meningitis because it is so deadly. It’s easy for parents to get confused.

Blake on October 6, 2009 at 10:07 AM

At the time you may be right…but several years later with the true and honest facts, they should not be lying about such a grave issue.
Obama said she was diagnosed with the disease, and she was not, and he knew it. This is right out of the Clinton playbook of “growing up watching black churches being burned”, or any number of politicians claiming to have walked with MLK…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 10:45 AM

Don’t forget Gore, who told so many whoppers leading up to the 2000 election that even the MSM!?! started doing stories about his serial lying.

In fact, I think we’ve had enough evidence over the years to posit that lying is just something to expect from liberal politicians running for president.

Whatever faults Bush 41 and Bush 43 had, no one ever caught them telling whoppers.

tom on October 6, 2009 at 4:57 PM

CBS’s Declan Mccullagh indicts a conservative blogger for believing Jeff Zeleny’s story in the New York Times.

J_Crater on October 6, 2009 at 5:22 PM

Using this technique, I wonder who they could blame for the “fake but accurate” Bush National Guard memos.

J_Crater on October 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM

Never let those pesky facts get in the way of a story, eh CBS?

infidel4life on October 6, 2009 at 5:25 PM

It’s CBS, you know, Dan Rather, forged papers, Katie Couric, Affirmative Action Anchor

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Last week the back of my leg seemed sore.
Gee, I must have polio!!

Jeff from WI on October 6, 2009 at 12:25 PM

If we don’t pass Obamacare RIGHT NOW you’ll be living the rest of your life in an iron lung!!!!!!

VelvetElvis on October 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM

Bleeds Blue on October 6, 2009 at 9:42 A

M

The point is it’s another FALSE health care horror story, in a longgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg line of fake health care horror story.

This one, when caught, and yes he’s been caught, he can’t blame this on some “staffer”.

Hey, Bleeds Blue, if I put on a “white lab coat” does that make me a medical doctor?

DSchoen on October 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM

No, it doesn’t. For the most part, people are piss poor historians of their own and their child’s medical histories.
Blake on October 6, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Really? Have you ever talked to your mom about this?

I would bet most of our mothers could list, in detail, every illness we had as kids.

That wouldn’t even be a gamble.

DSchoen on October 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Dear Leader will lie to the American public on ANY GIVEN TOPIC.
My $.02
redneckjoe on October 6, 2009 at 9:50 AM

If he’s willing to lie about his own children, what is the line he will not cross for politics?

DSchoen on October 6, 2009 at 9:03 PM

‘); //]]> symbol

‘); //]]> <—Screw?

IowaWoman on October 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM

VelvetElvis on October 6, 2009 at 7:32 PM

LOL..Iron Lung, sounds like some heavy metal group the kids listen to.

Jeff from WI on October 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM

‘); //]]> <—Screw?

IowaWoman on October 7, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I like the way you think…

right2bright on October 7, 2009 at 9:40 AM

And let’s remember the context of these posts. Barack Obama has told a string of tall tales himself in public to push health-care reform. What does CBS do in response? Go after Obama’s critics. Yeah, that’s telling truth to power, all right.

Bur Chris Matthews says it’s the job of journalism to make sure the president is a success. This is just a means to an end.

John Deaux on October 7, 2009 at 9:57 AM

NathanG on October 6, 2009 at 12:59 PM

The crazy one is you who makes stuff up and falsely accuses me of things that I never did. And yes, you are delusional, a liar, and a jerk.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:22 AM

Well, well, I trapped this little weasel, and he is upset.

See a doctor. You’re not well.

You are upset at me for “lying”, yet not at the president? He is the one with the power, the ultimate power…yet you concern with a blogger who set a trap, caught you calling me a “liar”…but when confronted with the lies of the president you ignore them.

You are a liar. And when caught, you keep on lying. There is really something wrong with you.

Please stop lying, liar. And stop pretending that you set some trap. That’s a pathetic excuse. You were caught lying.

And you now admit that the president is a…(answer please)

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 1:17 PM

I am consistent. You are a liar and you apparently have psych problems.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Sweeeeettt, a little thin skinned like his hero…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM

Sourpuss, stop projecting.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:28 AM

I am pretty sure he is the same guy as a banned poster…can’t remember his name.

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Still lying…

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:31 AM

Blake is no Cindy Munford, that’s for sure…

right2bright on October 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM

You’re right in that I do not like you because I do not like liars which you definitely are. And you are definitely a psycho.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM

Really? Have you ever talked to your mom about this?

That wouldn’t even be a gamble.

DSchoen on October 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM

Yes I have. What a stupid question. I have also interviewed thousands of parents regarding their child’s medical history. Now, get lost.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:40 AM

Cindy Munford on October 6, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Unfortunately, I can’t say the same about yours.

Blake on October 7, 2009 at 10:42 AM

If Obama wasn’t President, would anyone know who he is? Heck, he’s President now and I still don’t know who he is. Can’t even find out where he was born. Not that I care cuz I’m Canadian, but if I wanted to verify it, I wouldn’t be able to.

MrX on October 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Wow.
I see someone here is still at it.
You know, this happens to be a non-issue, much like the Bill Ayers story today.
But all these things are actualy issues bcs we are setting up the precendent for our president as a patholigical liar.
So that is why all these piddling little nitpicking issues are relevant.
BO has been shaping up to be a shameless, pathological liar who will lie through his teeth about ANYTHING, no matter how inconsequential or petty, to make his point.
He elicits our emotions by using FAKE stories on PURPOSE to appeal to the moronic American s who cannot think critically for themselves.
So instead of telling us the details of his healthcare plan (the DIRTY details), he uses these fake stories to get everyone emotional about the issue.
This is why these stories ARE IMPORTANT.

Badger40 on October 7, 2009 at 1:23 PM

MrX on October 7, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Yeah. But we are supposed to just take the major media’s word for everything.
Nothing here to see. Move along.
These are not the droids you are looking for.

Badger40 on October 7, 2009 at 1:24 PM