Axelrod met with Roger Ailes to whine about Fox News’s non-worship of Obama

posted at 8:13 pm on October 6, 2009 by Allahpundit

He’s got one cable news network fact-checking comedy skits about him and another running hour-long infomercials for his health-care plan.

And he still can’t stop complaining.

At a time of tension between their organizations, White House senior adviser David Axelrod met with Fox News chairman and chief executive officer Roger Ailes two weeks ago, sources tell POLITICO.

The two met privately in Manhattan during the president’s visit to the United Nations.

The two discussed news coverage and the relationship between the organizations.

An FNC spokesperson tells POLITICO that Ailes and Axelrod had a “cordial conversation” over coffee while the president was in town.

In Axelrod’s defense, so dominant is FNC these days that Red Eye’s pulling more viewers in the 25-54 range at 3 a.m. than CNN is at 8 p.m. Which I guess means the White House is better off scheduling Hillary for an interview with Pinch, the New York Times marionette, than with Campbell Brown. More whining:

Though White House aides are hesitant to criticize the network on the record, their disdain for the programming–including Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck–is clearly evident. “They are the paid political programming for a party, and occasionally a couple of news stories break out in the midst of 23 hours and 45 minutes of political rantings and opinion,” said one senior administration official. “Everything about it is one-sided political opinion directed at a base. Period.”

In honor of the “biggest bunch of crybabies” to hit D.C. in years, enjoy the Onion’s special report on ObamaCare, a pitch-perfect parody of what the left would have you believe runs 24/7 on Fox News. Exit quotation: “Let me dispel these ridiculous rumors once and for all and set the record straight: Under my plan, seniors are going to be killed the way they want to be killed, end of story.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

HornetSting on October 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM

Nah, just an uber ugly weasel.

infidel4life on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Maybe you should read up on what an idiot Marc Lamont Hill really is. And the link and story is right here at HA.

Enlighten yourself so don’t always look so stupid.

Knucklehead on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Hannity is having on Michael Moore tonight (who is a radical). Should Hannity not invite Michael Moore on to his show?

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Why, a sophist-tree, of course. :-)

Mary in LA on October 6, 2009 at 9:05 PM

Niiiiiiiice! :D

zenscreamer on October 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I never want Gibbs to be fired. He outdoes Baghdad Bob at being Baghdad Bob, a doofus. He is television GOLD!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on October 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

It’s tough to hide when there is at least one real news network or newspaper out there.

tarpon on October 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

Red meat for the base.

You don’t even have to state an issue, just say “Fox News”, and their mouths start to foam like rabid Pavlov’s dogs.

With 0bama backtracking on every leftist pledge he made, they need to appease the base somehow, Fox News is the scapegoat of their dreams.

Rebar on October 6, 2009 at 9:08 PM

I hope that Ailes told Axelrod, “You do your job, and I’ll do mine. Have a nice day”

onlineanalyst on October 6, 2009 at 9:10 PM

Uh huh. Anyone see Shep Smith lecture yell at a Republican surgeon/Congressman tonight about how we have to have a public action to make it fair because of the evil insurance companies, and whine that no one can afford health care? Clearly this was just an act on Shep-the- wingnut’s part to appease Axelrod./

Buy Danish on October 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM

That’s why I’m not watching it. I’m going to walk my dog and watching him take a crap is far more entertaining than watching that moron.

Besides, the Michael Moore interview is a one time deal and the only reason Moore is doing it is to push his flop of a movie.

Marc Lamont Hill is on BOR every week. Big difference toots.

Knucklehead on October 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM

Knucklehead on October 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM

LMAO. And, F*CK LINDSEY GRAHAM!

HornetSting on October 6, 2009 at 9:13 PM

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM

Michael Moore hates everything that this country stands for and I care more about what you have to say than what he has to say.

thomasaur on October 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM

Did he bring Luca Brasi with him?

ThePrez on October 6, 2009 at 8:21 PM

Luca would have gone in alone; and Ailes would have changed his behaviour, after one visit.

Not that I want anything at Fox to change.

Just sayin’

Don Corleone is not the model for these guys – more like Jimmy Breslins’ The Gang That Couldn’t Shoot Straight.

massrighty on October 6, 2009 at 9:16 PM

I Guess A-Rod will be after SNL next. As long as Fox News keeps the ratings at the current level then I think that all they had was coffee.

Dire Straits on October 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM

This White House has the media savvy of a pit-bull. Here is the one new channel, capable of getting their message out, and they avoid it. Rather than going out and answering the tough questions, getting them out of the way, and retuning their plans, they keep going on the easy networks, not answering the tough questions and watching their poll numbers go down. Not too brilliant, IMHO.

Someone needs to teach them Media 101 because, as Chris Wallace said, they are the biggest crybabies he’s seen in 30 years. If anyone had a right to cry about unjust treatment from the press it was George W. Bush.

Thank God for Fox News and Talk Radio, there’s not telling what this group would be able to do, under the cover of press darkness, that we wouldn’t know about until it was too late.

bflat879 on October 6, 2009 at 9:19 PM

D’ohbermann is supposedly “performing” a full-hour (Or is it fool hour?) Speshul Report on why Obamacare must pass.

onlineanalyst on October 6, 2009 at 9:20 PM

thomasaur on October 6, 2009 at 9:15 PM

My only point is that conservative pundits have people on their show that have opposing and sometimes radical views on their shows. I don’t see the big deal.

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Driefromseattle on October 6, 2009 at 8:29 PM

Nope. We get sarcasm.
Comprehension = your friend, if you work at it.

massrighty on October 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Those who whine that Fox is too biased have never read the newspapers of past generations.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 8:58 PM

Or, for that matter, today’s NY Times.

massrighty on October 6, 2009 at 9:24 PM

Wow!!

That White House talking head has nailed NBC,MSNBC,CNN,CBS,NYTimes,WaPo,and the LA times perfectly.

Baxter Greene on October 6, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I don’t think O’Reilly is enamored with President Obama. I just don’t think wants his show to turn into a daily ad hominem attack on President Obama.

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 8:57 PM

I don’t think that you know what the term ad hominem means.

onlineanalyst on October 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I guess this idiot doesn’t watch much MSNBC. They’re just pissy because Obama’s personal network has only a dozen viewers.

ddrintn on October 6, 2009 at 9:27 PM

If Axelrod was a woman and he mated with Waxman, would we have a new strain of rat?

HornetSting on October 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM

No, weasel.

jimmy2shoes on October 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM

terryannonline on October 6, 2009 at 9:21 PM

Yes,we know this will be your only point tonight. Ad nauseum,as usual.

katy the mean old lady on October 6, 2009 at 9:37 PM

HornetSting on October 6, 2009 at 9:01 PM

No, nothing that classy..or intelligent.

katy the mean old lady on October 6, 2009 at 9:41 PM

I don’t know. This is worrisome to me. Do you think Roger Ailes can be bought like the other networks?

I mean, imagine the meeting, Axelrod telling Ailes that you either play nice or we start talking Fairness Doctrine. What you do think?

jaimo on October 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM

Liberals think Fox news is subjective and biased because that’s what the liberal brass tell them to think. My liberal relatives are so completely conditioned that they refer to Fox as Faux News, which is hilarious considering the propaganda they view regularly on MSNBC and CNN. The indoctrination precludes them from watching even a millisecond of Beck or Hannity, and Rush is the epitome of an anti-Christ.

If Axelrod could bully, cajole, or bribe Fox to soften their story-lines about Team Barry, he would do it in a hot second.

anXdem on October 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I thought there was always supposed to be “tension” between an administration and the news media.

jaimo on October 6, 2009 at 9:45 PM

They think they had “angry mobs” over health care, they ain’t seen nothin’ yet.

ddrintn on October 6, 2009 at 9:49 PM

No, weasel.

jimmy2shoes on October 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Remember we are speaking of cultured Liberals so might i suggest WeeWeeRats?

heshtesh on October 6, 2009 at 9:50 PM

I sure hope you guys are right, because I’m starting to lose sleep over this stuff on a regular basis.

jaimo on October 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM

David Axelrod is the most dangerous man in America!
He runs the Manchurian Candidate.

ndulik on October 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM

jaimo on October 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Ever consider a little trust?/s

heshtesh on October 6, 2009 at 9:53 PM

At a time of tension between their organizations…

Organization???

ORGANIZATION???

The White House is an ORGANIZATION???

The truth is out. Finally.

fred5678 on October 6, 2009 at 9:54 PM

First they ignore you, then they make fun of you, then they try to negotiate and that’s when you know you are winning. Or something like that but hang together gang we’re getting under their skin. ……..Giggle…..giggle.

Herb on October 6, 2009 at 9:55 PM

anXdem on October 6, 2009 at 9:48 PM

Well, here’s an explanation. Libs think of their outlook as the only really correct one. They are not capable of “bias”. The conservative viewpoint is heresy, and therefore any expression of it is fanatical bias.

Limbaugh is the anti-Christ because for the past 21 years he’s been treating liberals with the same contempt, ridicule and disdain they show conservatives…and he’s made loads of money doing it. They’re not used to such effrontery. Conservatives are supposed to know their place, like hosting an obscure discussion show on PBS.

ddrintn on October 6, 2009 at 9:56 PM

I swear when I actually flip to MSNBC that I am watching Fox news. All they have on are clips of Beck, O’Reily or Hannity.. You think they might wake up & actually report something like—oh I don’t know—news???? Maybe be the first to scoop a story or do some Investigative Journalism?
Naaahhhh, didn’t think so—-

Ladywolfnl on October 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Maybe be the first to scoop a story or do some Investigative Journalism?
Naaahhhh, didn’t think so—-

Ladywolfnl on October 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM

“Journalism” isn’t MSNBC’s function. Shilling for Obama is its function.

ddrintn on October 6, 2009 at 10:00 PM

True enough. Liberals generally view anyone who disagrees with them as pedestrian, antiquated, and slow. It always surprises them when a conservative presents a clever argument or comes up with a good idea. That’s when the name calling usually starts…

anXdem on October 6, 2009 at 10:10 PM

The most shrill crybabies evah.

Thank God for Fox News. I say release the hounds.

I hope this gets reported widely…and that Fox News’s ratings increase even more.

BuckeyeSam on October 6, 2009 at 10:15 PM

OT

I find it hard to believe Disney had anything to do with Moby Moore.

Oh wait, Dumbo….

Dhuka on October 6, 2009 at 10:17 PM

What a piece of trash axlerod is..
Im so sorry but i wont bow down
and kiss obamas ass

Nor will i obey any laws the democrats pass
as i also called my congressmen (democrats)
and they both completly ignored our demands
that they listen to the american people..

so i refuse to obey them..
so democrats, obama ,axelrod and the rest of you creeps
Suck it..

veteranoutrage on October 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Because we have a history of and constitution establishing a free press, all Obama can do is whine about Fox. However, if we were a country without freedom of the press so deeply embedded in our culture, Obama would be working to shut down Fox and other press they feel subversive. It happens in just about every leftist, collectivist culture eventually.

And he would be doing it because Obama thinks he is morally superior than we are so he knows best for the country. And Fox News ain’t it to him.

Mallard T. Drake on October 6, 2009 at 8:53 PM

fairness doctrine….

huckelberry on October 6, 2009 at 10:25 PM

I also asked Fox News about Shep Smith’s rant today about the government run health care. He embarrassed a guest by naming thirty Dems who would not come on his show today and then saying essentially, so we have this lady…? WTH

d1carter on October 6, 2009 at 9:02 PM

Shep was just po’d that Dems don’t seem to get that he’s on their side. Poor Shep. So, so misunderstood.

Connie on October 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

onlineanalyst on October 6, 2009 at 9:10 PM

My thoughts exactly. The press and the administration aren’t supposed to sit down for coffee.

I realize it is far more complicated than that statement but the bottom line is that the press is supposed to be doing thier job and the political administration is supposed to be doing its job. They are never supposed to be on the same page.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Poor Shep. So, so misunderstood.

Connie on October 6, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Not really. Shep Smith is a liberal troll who is completely understood. He lost me during Katrina with his insane Bush bashing for things that really were the fault of Ray Nagin and Kathleen Blanco.

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Naaahhhh, didn’t think so—-

Ladywolfnl on October 6, 2009 at 9:57 PM

LOL! MSNBC actually had an interview where the “journalist” actually interrupted the propagandist from the administration to spout out- “Why are people objecting to this?”

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 10:41 PM

AsslRod, Rhambo and Hussain
Two and a half men

macncheez on October 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I hope I’m wrong but the deck seems so stacked now, that ratings or not, Fox may end up like their sister networks in Venezuela.

As could we. The minutes of the meeting would be meatier then most. Sure wish I was a fly on that wall – and

jaimo on October 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Me, since, oh….let’s see, 1 year ago today. Not a restful night since, but I like you will survive. Worry about things you can control – and be active, it’s the only cure.

seesalrun on October 6, 2009 at 10:49 PM

From the article: “Though White House aides are hesitant to criticize the network on the record…”

Why would they be hesitant? Their man-child President openly whines about Fox News.

ynot4tony2 on October 6, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Cry me a river, Axelrod.

VibrioCocci on October 6, 2009 at 11:19 PM

<blockquoteWhich I guess means the White House is better off scheduling Hillary for an interview with Pinch, the New York Times marionette, than with Campbell Brown.

Funny and true

tehd on October 6, 2009 at 11:22 PM

/screwed up the tag

tehd on October 6, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I cannot help but imagine the screeching over sinister plots to rob our nation of a free and objective press should a Sr. Bush adviser have met with CNN to discuss their coverage of his admin.

Good grief.

RDuke on October 6, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Well, this does seem to match up with Fox “softening” on Obama… then again, Ted Baxter has ALWAYS been soft on him.

CC

CapedConservative on October 6, 2009 at 11:37 PM

I think Axelrod needs to spend some time watching Shep and Bill. There are two pander boys.

mobydutch on October 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM

Buy Danish on October 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I saw it while in the waiting room of a doctor’s office. I thought I was hallucinating.

HellCat on October 6, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Take it from me, cause he had to do somethin’ to get to be a made man in the Chicago Machine, Axelrod is the subhuman equivalent of a jackal, tasmanian devil and a black mamba. Now I ain’t no angel but Axelrod just might be the spawn of Satan – a big plus in my inner circle. Just what kind of modus operandi do you guys expect from Ron Jeremy’s third cousin, twice removed, anyways? Green jobs, schmen jobs – Axe only wants unmarked green bills- and power – lots of power. And don’t youse forget it.

MayorDaley on October 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM

mobydutch on October 6, 2009 at 11:38 PM

And Geraldo makes three

macncheez on October 6, 2009 at 11:59 PM

highhopes on October 6, 2009 at 10:36 PM

Shep from the French Quarter: “It looks like we dodged a bullet.” (Insert adrenalin-deprived, sad, pouty face).

Connie on October 7, 2009 at 12:06 AM

Charles K is the biggest reason I watch Fox News. It would be nice to see him get his own show so he could intellectually demolish the libs more directly.

chickasaw42 on October 7, 2009 at 12:59 AM

Axelrod: “Please Mr. Ailes, we’re begging you, please ask Mr. Murdoch not to outbid Comcast for NBC-Universal.”

mrt721 on October 7, 2009 at 1:17 AM

Sorry Mr. Axelrod, I think you have Fox confused for PMS-NBC.

(Lol . . . He only whines because it isn’t the type of programming he wants to see . . . What a twit.)

Ryan Gandy on October 7, 2009 at 1:42 AM

AxleRod. LOL. How’s his brother ‘Ball Joint’ doing?

johnnyU on October 7, 2009 at 4:44 AM

Every time I see a picture of Alexrod, I involuntarily blurt, out “No Thanks, No Questions,We’re Just Out Kicking Tires”

Jeff from WI on October 7, 2009 at 7:08 AM

Chris Wallace was correct….what a bunch of whiners.

President Bush and his administration was bashed day in and day out and I never heard him complain about the bad press he got.

yoda on October 7, 2009 at 7:53 AM

I read the onion piece. Now while being a sarcastic piece of journalism, and totally absurd, I ask myself…..is it so absurd?

Obama has promised BIG changes ahead. Even going so far as to say some months back….We ain’t seen nothing yet! He doesn’t pander to the ideology of European socialism. He seems more attune to the likes of Chavez, and Castro, and their way of doing things.

Death panels for seniors? Probably not. Death panels for anyone who dares to stand in the way, and oppose his grand plans? Perhaps?

capejasmine on October 7, 2009 at 9:58 AM

I happened to catch 10 minutes of FNC in the middle of the day. Shep said his producers had called 30 Democratic congressmen to appear in one of his reports to give their side and none would appear. He solicited, ON THE AIR, for a Democrat to come on and give thier side of the story.

If Democrats want to be better represented, then they need to show up and state their case.

And if you can’t take the heat from Shep, good greif!

barnone on October 7, 2009 at 10:20 AM

Interesting that FNC describes it as “cordial.” That isn’t “productive”, “heated”, or “useful”. Sounds like Axelrod didn’t get what he wanted, and Fox sure didn’t feel the need to pander to the crybabies.
I watched Michael Moore on Hannity and it actually did raise my opinion of Moore, which is to say I believe him to be a human being and not that vile wretch with the unwatched HBO show with nothing in his heart but hate. Moore was smart to do Hannity and knows FNC’s audience is not all Republican. Hannity should have studied up more on statistics because Moore was very good at manipulating those for the argument.

TwilightAuthor on October 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM

What is this, Mother Russia? Why is one of the president’s top officials “meeting with” a media company’s CEO to discuss news coverage, and the “relationship between the two organizations”?

There is no valid purpose for that in our constitutional republic.

J.E. Dyer on October 7, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Chris Wallace was right by saying that this adminstration is the biggest bunch of crybabies he has ever seen in his 30 year career. Can’t wait to see the response from these twits wnen they get smacked by Sarah in 2012. RACISTS….Boo hoo!

Winebabe on October 7, 2009 at 12:25 PM

TwilightAuthor

There’s only so much studying one can do to prepare for a guy who makes statistics up on the fly, and who will lie about the color of the sky if he can somehow tie it into how bad he believes this country is.

xblade on October 7, 2009 at 2:34 PM

Sorry if this has been said already. Pinch isn’t a marionette. He’s an actual copy of the NY Times….that can talk. Odd that he seems to be shrinking since his first appearance.

TugboatPhil on October 7, 2009 at 2:43 PM

I am really sick of seeing (and hearing) A$$h0LE-Clod, the guy looks like Gabe Kaplan on a glue trip!

cableguy615 on October 7, 2009 at 6:08 PM

You know all these greedy Wall Street types that the Dems/Libs/Commies have blamed for the current economic situation, and how they need to have their wealth reigned in, be controlled, taxed heavily, etc.?

This greasy slimeball is the poster boy for greed and corruption.

But, they don’t want to hear about it, no Sir, and I bet most don’t even know who he is.

Dr. ZhivBlago on October 7, 2009 at 8:55 PM